Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I just heard about a rash of Kia and Hyundai Elantra thefts sparked by a TicToc video showing how to steal them with a cell phone charging cord. Kia from 2011-21 and Elantra’s made after 2016 are most susceptible.

The only remedy is to buy a steering wheel lock according to police. Kia and Hyundai basically say tough luck.

Anyone else heard this?

Yeah I saw the article. I thought I heard that H/K had a software fix for the glitch.

Steering wheel locks don’t work, they just cut the steering wheel with bolt cutters in 3 seconds.

————————————————-

Not to argue but those bolt cutters must have 4 foot handles. However, thieves will always find a way.

jmonroe

A hacksaw can cut through most steering wheels rather quickly.

It's hard to drive though if you hack through the steering wheel! :s

No not really. Steering wheels are rather stiff and as long as you don't push hard near the part that you cut you should be fine.

You have to make 2 cuts a couple inches apart though. That takes time; too much time; they work as a deterrent. They'll choose the car that doesn't take extra time.

Nope just one cut, steering wheels have some give so one cut then apply some pressure on the wheel near the cut and slid the mechanism off.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

So driver how is this new gig of yours?

It must be one heckuva gig if a spray can fix THAT.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    That new paint is mainly to “heal” scratches not dents.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I just heard about a rash of Kia and Hyundai Elantra thefts sparked by a TicToc video showing how to steal them with a cell phone charging cord. Kia from 2011-21 and Elantra’s made after 2016 are most susceptible.

The only remedy is to buy a steering wheel lock according to police. Kia and Hyundai basically say tough luck.

Anyone else heard this?

Yeah I saw the article. I thought I heard that H/K had a software fix for the glitch.

Steering wheel locks don’t work, they just cut the steering wheel with bolt cutters in 3 seconds.

————————————————-

Not to argue but those bolt cutters must have 4 foot handles. However, thieves will always find a way.

jmonroe

No not really. Steering wheels are rather stiff and as long as you don't push hard near the part that you cut you should be fine.

You have to make 2 cuts a couple inches apart though. That takes time; too much time; they work as a deterrent. They'll choose the car that doesn't take extra time.

Nope just one cut, steering wheels have some give so one cut then apply some pressure on the wheel near the cut and slid the mechanism off.

There are "twin hook" steering wheel locks where I don't think your method will work.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    This makes me sad.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/d/east-greenbush-mitsubishi-mirage/7519795933.html

In 2015 when I bought my Mustang the nearby dealer was selling these for under $10,000 new. Now one with almost 100k miles still commands 3/4 of the new price.

And with body damage to boot.😩

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited August 2022
    This is a swan song of used car price bubble. Two-three months and it will be finally over. So far the process is just starting, repossessions increasing, but defaults are just starting, number of "no sales" at auctions growing, but it takes time. So far the banks are playing chicken with each other, nobody wants to swerve and lower the reserves. Auction lots are filling up, but just wait a little more. Too many newbies are still putting silly bids and too many got used to sit on unsold inventory cause cars didn't depreciate. It has to flush out, just like silly real estate market in mid 2000's took couple of years to really crash from the appearance of first cracks.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:

This is a swan song of used car price bubble. Two-three months and it will be finally over.

I sure hope you’re right.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@henryn said:
    I have been known to remark to people observed parking in a handicapped spot without a handicapped tag or plates, and who obviously aren't handicapped, "That's funny, you don't look handicapped to me."

Usual result is a glare. One of these days I'll probably get shot, but that's how it goes.

I get very frustrated when I try to find a handicap parking space and I see people park in one with a placard hanging from the mirror and walk quickly into the supermarket with no limp, no cane, no walker, etc. I realize that serious heart conditions are a handicap but these people sure look and ambulate quite well.

I can’t walk more than 20 or so steps without a walker. I will be this way for the rest of my life, if not in a wheelchair in a few years. If I can’t find a handicap spot, I have to leave without shopping. I sure wish things were different but it’s out of my hands.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @abacomike, what you describe is courtesy of the not really privileged but think they are.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

driver100 said:

A new coating can self-heal scratches in as little as half an hour of sunlight exposure
    Finding a scratch on your car is a special kind of heartbreak, but in the future they might be gone before you even notice. Scientists in Korea have developed a coating that self-heals scratches in as little as 30 minutes when exposed to sunlight.
    The new coating contains a polymer network based on acryl polyol, with what’s called a hindered urea structure. Essentially, the polymers have dynamic chemical bonds that can break apart in response to a stimulus and then reform in their original arrangement, effectively repairing minor damage like scratches. In this case the trigger is heat, which is provided by an organic photothermal dye that captures infrared light, also embedded in the coating.
    In tests on a model car, the team showed that the coating healed scratches in 30 minutes of midday sunlight. In theory, that means someone could key your car door and the scratch could be gone before you come back.
    If half an hour is too long, the team also demonstrated that the process can be drastically sped up under concentrated light. Using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto the mark patched it up in under 30 seconds.
    Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology (KRICT)
    The team says the new coating has a few advantages over existing self-healing coatings. Using organic photothermal dyes means it needs far less energy to work than regular inorganic versions, which usually require heat guns or concentrated UV lights. Others, like Nissan’s Scratch Shield, work under gentler conditions but can take up to a week. The new coating can also repair a scratch in the same location multiple times, unlike self-healing materials that work using bursting capsules of resin.
    Importantly, the new coating is transparent, so it won’t mess with the color of the paint job, and can be applied using existing spray-coating methods. While cars are the primary use case, the team says it could also be applied to other often-scratched devices like phones or building materials.
    The research was published in the journal ACS Applied Polymer Materials. The team demonstrates the self-healing coating in the video below.
    Self-healing of model car coated with developed clearcoat when exposed to focused sunlight
    Source: Eurekalert

So driver how is this new gig of yours?
    Sales are a bit slow, thought with all the accidents around here I could drum up some business. 10% commission!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

There are "twin hook" steering wheel locks where I don't think your method will work.

You still only have to defeat one of those two hooks. Once that's done the second hook is meaningless so that method will work.

• Options

This makes me sad.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/d/east-greenbush-mitsubishi-mirage/7519795933.html

In 2015 when I bought my Mustang the nearby dealer was selling these for under $10,000 new. Now one with almost 100k miles still commands 3/4 of the new price.

That can be easily fixed. Have you heard of my new product; A new coating that can self-heal scratches in as little as half an hour of sunlight exposure

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited August 2022
    abacomike said:

@henryn said:

I have been known to remark to people observed parking in a handicapped spot without a handicapped tag or plates, and who obviously aren't handicapped, "That's funny, you don't look handicapped to me."

Usual result is a glare. One of these days I'll probably get shot, but that's how it goes.

I get very frustrated when I try to find a handicap parking space and I see people park in one with a placard hanging from the mirror and walk quickly into the supermarket with no limp, no cane, no walker, etc. I realize that serious heart conditions are a handicap but these people sure look and ambulate quite well.

I can’t walk more than 20 or so steps without a walker. I will be this way for the rest of my life, if not in a wheelchair in a few years. If I can’t find a handicap spot, I have to leave without shopping. I sure wish things were different but it’s out of my hands.

===========================end quoted material===========================
    I never say anything if they have a placard, but I definitely wonder about them. The world is full of people who think their convenience is the only thing that matters.

No, I shouldn't say that. There are some like that, but there are also a lot of good people in this world.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302

dino001 said:

This is a swan song of used car price bubble. Two-three months and it will be finally over.

The UCM at the Toyota dealer thinks the same...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@driver100 said:
    That can be easily fixed. Have you heard of my new product; A new coating that can self-heal scratches in as little as half an hour of sunlight exposure

Too bad you don’t have a product that works on human beings - I have a few scratches I would love to see disappear! 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    More updates on my attempt to file a routine police report after getting run into on Tuesday. You can't make this stuff up.

This morning I got an email from the local gendarmes that the report I filed online yesterday was stamped REJECTED. I wasn't really surprised but they did not provide any reason why it was deemed so. However they said I could file one by email (that sounds familiar) and provided an email address I had not ever seen previously anywhere on their site. They did not say anything about what to include or not include, just the email address.

I'm game, so I take the copy of the rejected report I had shrewdly printed out yesterday and recomposed it into an email, very structured, just-the-facts-ma'am in tone, and attached a picture of the damage. After I had sent it off I received another reply. They sent a boilerplate about what their requirements are which include scans or photos of your drivers license, registration, and insurance card. Then in capital letters they say not to send pics of any damage. Of course none of this information was included anywhere previously nor is it offered on their website. So I'm 0-for-4 on that one.

All right, I can play this game. I scan my vehicle registration, take pics of my license and insurance card and send them back with a short note indicating they are part of what I sent earlier. A few minutes go by and I get a phone call. A lady from the department has received my messages and tells me that because my incident occurred on the side of the toll gates that were technically on the bridge itself and not on city property as they would have been had I gone through, they do not have jurisdiction. I need to do the whole report thing with the Bridge Police. Hoo boy.

She gives me a number and I call. I get a very cheery and chatty fellow and explain my situation. He says I have to do it in person at their office (that's fine as they are close by) but that today wouldn't be good because they have some staff shortages. Tomorrow morning would be good though, he says.

Stay tuned for the next chapter.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    @ab348, if I were you I would copy and paste your narrative on a note app. or Word document for later reference when you are asked to do it again. Then you can copy and paste and edit.
    (I don’t know but maybe you already have saved your description and done this.)
  • Options
    edited August 2022

This makes me sad.

That can be easily fixed. Have
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Too bad you don’t have a product that works on human beings - I have a few scratches I would love to see disappear! 🤪😜

I haven't tried it on humans yet, but that might open some new doors. I hear they use Crazy Glue for stitching up humans. Maybe I'll take a bath in some and see what happens! We'll ship you a package, just $89.99 plus shipping :p

• Options
    ab348 said:

More updates on my attempt to file a routine police report after getting run into on Tuesday. You can't make this stuff up.

This sounds like a Seinfeld episode I once saw.........

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Saw the biggest gap I can ever recall on gas prices when I stopped at citgo today.

RUG - $3.87
    MID - $4.99
    PUG - $5.19

$1.22 to go just to plus? That wasn’t happening.

Diesel dropped a lot though. That was down to $4.89!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stickguy said:

Saw the biggest gap I can ever recall on gas prices when I stopped at citgo today.

RUG - $3.87
    MID - $4.99
    PUG - $5.19

When I see you post, I have to remember that you're in upstate NY, not NJ anymore.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    PUG could be left over from a previous high price delivery.
    Posting from OH. Internet is working.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565

@ab348 said:

This morning I got an email from the local gendarmes that the report I filed online yesterday was stamped REJECTED. I wasn't really surprised but they did not provide any reason why it was deemed so. However they said I could file one by email (that sounds familiar) and provided an email address I had not ever seen previously anywhere on their site. They did not say anything about what to include or not include, just the email address.

I'm game, so I take the copy of the rejected report I had shrewdly printed out yesterday and recomposed it into an email, very structured, just-the-facts-ma'am in tone, and attached a picture of the damage. After I had sent it off I received another reply. They sent a boilerplate about what their requirements are which include scans or photos of your drivers license, registration, and insurance card. Then in capital letters they say not to send pics of any damage. Of course none of this information was included anywhere previously nor is it offered on their website. So I'm 0-for-4 on that one.

All right, I can play this game. I scan my vehicle registration, take pics of my license and insurance card and send them back with a short note indicating they are part of what I sent earlier. A few minutes go by and I get a phone call. A lady from the department has received my messages and tells me that because my incident occurred on the side of the toll gates that were technically on the bridge itself and not on city property as they would have been had I gone through, they do not have jurisdiction. I need to do the whole report thing with the Bridge Police. Hoo boy.

She gives me a number and I call. I get a very cheery and chatty fellow and explain my situation. He says I have to do it in person at their office (that's fine as they are close by) but that today wouldn't be good because they have some staff shortages. Tomorrow morning would be good though, he says.

——————————————————
    “Staff shortages”. That seems to be the going excuse for quite awhile now. But in your case the guy you spoke with knows if won’t be a problem tomorrow. That almost sounds like good news. I wouldn’t get excited quite yet though. When you show up tomorrow there will be another excuse.

BTW, when was the last time you were told, “we have so many folks around here we’re tripping over each other”?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguy said:

RUG - $3.87
    MID - $4.99
    PUG - $5.19

Currently by my most used station

RUG - $4.54
    MID - $4.94
    PUG - $5.44
    Diesel - $5.19

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    How long does OH give you to register the vehicle and get new plates?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @michaell,
    Not sure. We are working on getting a driver's license first.
    Our old house closed yesterday, so the clock just started. :)
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

dino001 said:

The UCM at the Toyota dealer thinks the same...
    The guy on YT from Flying Wheels says the same but that it will take some time for dealers to realize that they overpaid for their inventory.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Your saga sounds like a good candidate for one of those consumer reports on the nightly news.

• Options
    stickguy said:

RUG - $3.87
    MID - $4.99
    PUG - $5.19

Where’s that Citgo, there’s no station of that brand that cheap near me. Cheapest is a station in Ballston Spa for $3.82. Lots of stations with PUG for under $5.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393

$4.79 for 92 PUG at Costco yesterday for me.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

@28firefighter said:
    $4.79 for 92 PUG at Costco yesterday for me.

$4.15 at my Costco for PUG.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited August 2022
    93 PUG is $4.19 at the BP and Sunoco stations in my town.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

stickguy said:

RUG - $3.87
    MID - $4.99
    PUG - $5.19

Where’s that Citgo, there’s no station of that brand that cheap near me. Cheapest is a station in Ballston Spa for $3.82. Lots of stations with PUG for under $5.
    Ballston spa. at the Cumberland farms. Prices nearby are all over the place. in a mile or 2 stretch there were some residual $4.30ish stations, and others below $3.90. and for some reason that town seems to be the low spot in the area. I was going by and truck was getting low so took advantage.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    The Explorer is liking nice flat Ohio.
    Even running the A/C and no interstate, mpg readout is above 25.
  • Options
    Ford having "catastrophic engine failures" on V6 Broncos. Odd that so far it seems limited to that model as they use the 2.7 on lots of pickups.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40718619/nhtsa-investigation-ford-bronco-v6

• Options
    edited August 2022

@ab348:

Was reading about your trials and tribulations regarding your dent encounter. Sorry you have to go through that - just increases your already stressed body. Hope everything gets resolved for you.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@explorerx4 said:
    After doing moving stuff since last Wednesday, I decided to clean up my wife's 2016 MKC.
    Wash and finish with some Adams Quick Detailer. Also Adam's VRT on the tires.

Looks brand new!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@ab348 said:
    Ford having "catastrophic engine failures" on V6 Broncos. Odd that so far it seems limited to that model as they use the 2.7 on lots of pickups.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40718619/nhtsa-investigation-ford-bronco-v6

I think the 3.3 V6 is far more prominent on the F 150's than the 2.7.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    But the point stands that the 2.7 isn't new.

Gotta wonder what they may have changed, if anything, when putting it in the Bronco.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    $3.48/$3.94 at my local Costco.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    The issue with the 2.7's in the Bronco was a bad part. It was resolved at the manufacturing level early in 2022. If I remember the story correctly, a batch of engines were dedicated to the Bronco. They just happened to have the bad part. 2.7's are the most common engines the F150.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Still no resolution on the accident report saga. I went to the Bridge offices twice. The first time I couldn't even figure how to get into their parking lot. A bunch of "Do Not Enter" signs and no signage as to how to get to an entrance. There is a second bridge with another building (not the one where the accident happened) so I thought I'd swing by there but that location has no obvious signage about any offices at all. I went home, did some Googling and saw that the entrance I'd been looking for was a block away on a back dead-end street. Went back after lunch and at first couldn't get into the building as it is locked up tight, but eventually a buzzer opened the door for me. I got into a small area with a guard behind glass - all this place does is run speed traps and respond to incidents on the bridge but I guess they figure they can't be too careful these days. Explained why I was there and the guard tried sending me to the other bridge but I said the guy I spoke to said it could be done in either place and I figured this one would be best since it happened right outside the door I came in through. Turned out he had no idea so he took my contact info and said someone would call.

• Options
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

RUG - $3.87
    MID - $4.99
    PUG - $5.19

Ballston spa. at the Cumberland farms. Prices nearby are all over the place. in a mile or 2 stretch there were some residual $4.30ish stations, and others below $3.90. and for some reason that town seems to be the low spot in the area. I was going by and truck was getting low so took advantage.
    Smart move. Yes Ballston Spa must be near a pipeline terminal or something because they usually have the cheapest gas.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

It was probably cheaper than tearing the dash out to get to the evaporator. :D

• Options
    ab348 said:

Still no resolution on the accident report saga. I went to the Bridge offices twice. The first time I couldn't even figure how to get into their parking lot. A bunch of "Do Not Enter" signs and no signage as to how to get to an entrance. There is a second bridge with another building (not the one where the accident happened) so I thought I'd swing by there but that location has no obvious signage about any offices at all. I went home, did some Googling and saw that the entrance I'd been looking for was a block away on a back dead-end street. Went back after lunch and at first couldn't get into the building as it is locked up tight, but eventually a buzzer opened the door for me. I got into a small area with a guard behind glass - all this place does is run speed traps and respond to incidents on the bridge but I guess they figure they can't be too careful these days. Explained why I was there and the guard tried sending me to the other bridge but I said the guy I spoke to said it could be done in either place and I figured this one would be best since it happened right outside the door I came in through. Turned out he had no idea so he took my contact info and said someone would call.

As a former government worker yourself couldn’t you give him the secret handshake or something to get better service? The last time I ran into that kind of bureaucratic inertia was when I tried to file for unemployment during the pandemic. 300 calls, dozens of emails and a letter to the commissioner before I got ahold of a person.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    I remember the evaporator leaking on dad's 85 Grand Marquis. He drove it for at least 5 years without a/c.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    qbrozen said:

But the point stands that the 2.7 isn't new.

Gotta wonder what they may have changed, if anything, when putting it in the Bronco.

But my point is that you are going to see it more where it is used more, If the Bronco uses a lot of the 2.7 and the F 150 uses it rarely then it's going to be far, far more visible in the Bronco.