Comments

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,932
    Sunset

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    That’s nice.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,795

My son got into Belmont but on his second visit he watched some students playing with a frisbee and one of the kids was actually scared when he tried to catch it. That took Belmont off the table.

Perhaps it wasn't a frisbee, but a circular saw blade they were tossing?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,488

My son got into Belmont but on his second visit he watched some students playing with a frisbee and one of the kids was actually scared when he tried to catch it. That took Belmont off the table.

Perhaps it wasn't a frisbee, but a circular saw blade they were tossing?
    I saw it- definitely a frisbee. I wish I had taken a video...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,735
    venture said:

Sunset

————————————————
    Where’s the ocean?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,932
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Sunset

————————————————
    Where’s the ocean?

jmonroe
    350 miles east

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,891

@venture said:
    350 miles east

Or 3000 miles west?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,364
    driver100 said:

I haven't rented a car for a long time but didn't they eventually have a plan where you could pay for a full tank of gas, which was a lower fee than what they charge to fill the car up.....and you could bring the car back on empty if you wanted to. It worked well in most cases.

They could do that with an EV....charge for a full charge....and bring it back on empty if you want to.

Yes some do offer charging you a certain additional amount for a full tank and then you can return it on empty. This reminds me of the time back in the early 80's in Anchorage Alaska when I rented a car. Across the street from the rental place was a gas station. When I returned the car I stopped at the gas station and put as much gas as that car could take and then some, drove it across the street to return it. Afterwards I watch the guy drive the car back across the street to fill it up which I suspected the darn pump shut off as soon as he squeezed the lever then come back. And they had the nerve to charge me for the few drops of gas they were able to pump into it. IIRC it was closer to zero than it was to a $1.00.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stickguy said:

A quick google maps search popped up an EV connect charging station 6 miles from the heart of downtown mayville. Nearest superchargers are a bit further away in bigger towns but basically ring that little town so would have been hard to get there without going near one of them.

That’s what the map planner is for in the car. If it knows your itinerary it will have you charge early if needed when it is convenient.

That's what I like about ICE cars, gas stations are so numerous that you will go by a few within a reasonable number of miles and they are easily identifiable (so easy to find no need for an app to tell you where they are) and if all the spots are filled one will open up in a minute.

• Options

driver100 said:

I haven't rented a car for a long time but didn't they eventually have a plan where you could pay for a full tank of gas, which was a lower fee than what they charge to fill the car up.....and you could bring the car back on empty if you wanted to. It worked well in most cases.

They could do that with an EV....charge for a full charge....and bring it back on empty if you want to.

Yes some do offer charging you a certain additional amount for a full tank and then you can return it on empty. This reminds me of the time back in the early 80's in Anchorage Alaska when I rented a car. Across the street from the rental place was a gas station. When I returned the car I stopped at the gas station and put as much gas as that car could take and then some, drove it across the street to return it. Afterwards I watch the guy drive the car back across the street to fill it up which I suspected the darn pump shut off as soon as he squeezed the lever then come back. And they had the nerve to charge me for the few drops of gas they were able to pump into it. IIRC it was closer to zero than it was to a $1.00.
    Boy, he must have been working on commission. When I rented down in Tampa I filled up in St. Petersburg and drove across the bridge to the airport, about 10 miles. They checked it as returned full.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,030
    edited December 2023

Crazy day in my house today! Packing for 4 for 10 days. What makes it hard is we have a stop in Savannah, three nights in Orlando and then the 7 nights on the cruise.

We leave Wednesday and I’m gone tomorrow night until Tuesday for work… great timing right? Obviously was unavoidable.

This trip is a full on Clark Griswold lol. Only thing I’m missing is a Crown Vic wagon.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Better watch your step at this dealership:

https://youtu.be/2wba1ldMbgM?si=b6qyn9x0S48B10BJ

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Crazy day in my house today! Packing for 4 for 10 days. What makes it hard is we have a stop in Savannah, three nights in Orlando and then the 7 nights on the cruise.

We leave Wednesday and I’m gone tomorrow night until Tuesday for work… great timing right? Obviously was unavoidable.

This trip is a full on Clark Griswold lol. Only thing I’m missing is a Crown Vic wagon.

————————————————
    Definitely a first world problem. When I was your kids age the only thing I knew about a cruise was when my Dad said. “keep it up you’re crusin”.

Have a nice trip.

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Thanks! 100% a first world problem!’

With seeing how much my wife is taking thank goodness for the truck!

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016
    tjc78 said:

Have fun! You can usually remove 2/3rds of the clothes you pack and you will be fine.

1979 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon
    Instead, Kustom Kar King George Barris dreamt up the abomination just for the movie. He started with a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon, then added plenty of fake wood paneling, a Metallic Pea paint job, and doubled the headlights for no good reason.

It would be cool to have a car like that.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguy said:

a bit hyperbolic here IMO. but, I got time!

normally cars don't drive in and drive out.

Ideally no they don't but the rental car companies only make money when the car is out. I have had people in the industry that there are times a returned car gets rented out almost immediately and it's more often than you think.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Don't you mean a Wagon Queen Family Truckster?

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328
    driver100 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@driver100 said:

Keep in mind he has owned a Tesla before......so he is experienced with Tesla's.

He did something humans do, he risked not charging when he should have because of circumstances.

Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you guys about cars or always being prepared, people run out of gas, they forget to plug in their EV, they get tired, they don't feel well, they get stuck in snow and realize they should have put on snow tires, their battery dies, .....the best laid plans and all that!

I could be wrong but I looked up "Tesla Charging Stations Near Mayville N.Y." and the closest ones seem to be 30 miles away;
    https://www.way.com/ev-chargers/tesla/new-york/mayville

I totally get it but you have to be prepared. I had a diesel when diesel wasn’t as common so I checked to make sure it was available and would have taken a different vehicle, filled up early etc.

He was probably emotionally a wreck so it is what it is.

Exactly, most humans aren't perfect.
    My neighbors went to dinner with other neighbors, there were 4 of them. They arrived at 5:35 and missed the early bird pricing by 5 minutes. Instead of paying $11. for a Grouper dinner it was $21. I almost always check a menu before going to a new restaurant, but not everyone thinks about these things.
    AVAILABLE MONDAY – THURSDAY,
    2:30 – 5:30 P.M.
    ALL ENTRÉES ARE SERVED WITH CHOICE OF
    SOUP OR HOUSE SALAD.
    NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

GROUPER PICCATA Lightly breaded grouper placed on a bed of steamed white rice, accompanied by chef selected seasonal vegetables, topped with a light lemon butter sauce and fried capers. 10.9
    This same dinner was $21 after 5:30.

You may need to reevaluate your friend group😇
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,229
    Did they go full Morty Seinfeld on the place? 😆

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@snakeweasel said:
    Don't you mean a Wagon Queen Family Truckster?

lol yes - “‘You think you hate now.. wait to you drive it”

• Options

stickguy said:

Ideally no they don't but the rental car companies only make money when the car is out. I have had people in the industry that there are times a returned car gets rented out almost immediately and it's more often than you think.
    When we have a rush at the airport people will try to grab keys as soon as we pull in. The cars never get cold between rentals.

• Options

stickguy said:

When we have a rush at the airport people will try to grab keys as soon as we pull in. The cars never get cold between rentals.
    I have reserved a rental car....get to the airport, they tell me I can have a car right away but it won't be washed......OK, better than waiting around. At least it was alright inside, no KFC chicken bones on the floor.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    The rental Dodge Caravan came back to Enterprise just at the time I was given for pickup. The manager requested that I wait while he vacuumed (and checked for unsavory things left, I'm sure). No wash. It didn't need it actually.

He told me to bring it back with gas tank at any level for waiting--don't bother refilling. Of course I had a 4 or 5 day rental scheduled, so I returned it about half IIRC.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    some Old Farmer content!

first, saw a Ranger for him at BJs today. Red, looked to be in reasonable shape, but the interesting part is it had a diamond plate look dump style box on the back. Not sure I have ever seen a converted ranger like that before.

and I had to drop my daughter and her BF off at the airport today (his stomping grounds) and for the first time saw the start of the remodeling. They took away half the approach road (by the terminal, where you drop off and pick up people). barriers and fencing up, leaving 2 skinny lanes. That must be an absolute nightmare during busier times. what a mess.

• Options
    and speaking of Farmer and Rangers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxgSdEOGXSU

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I was sitting on the toilet this morning and noticed that the base was not very stable. So I called the company that covers my plumbing, A/C, electricity, etc., and they said that toilet replacement was not covered in my contract with them. They told me that to replace the toilet in the guest bathroom with the same toilet (size, height, color and manufacturer) it would cost me $715 for the toilet, parts, labor, caulking, and other miscellaneous stuff. This company has hundreds of contracts here in my condo community and they are most familiar with Kohler and the fixtures in all these apartments, especially the guest bathrooms because of an extension piece of marble that is above the back of the toilet. They told me they had to special order the toilet which would take 2-3 days.

So I called another local plumber and they told me the same thing (special order, etc.) and the cost was $699 - a couple of bucks less than the company that I am contracted with. So I went ahead and gave them the $715 via a credit card, and they went ahead and ordered it.

My condo is 33 years old and has the original fixtures in both bathrooms - toilets, sinks, marble countertops, etc. So I have to expect that things are going to need to be replaced. Many condo owners have gutted their apartments and updated kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, etc. I have chosen to not invest $50,000 in this condo mainly because I can't afford to spend that kind of money as I approach my 80th birthday next year. My philosophy on this subject is that since the condo, in its present condition, would bring about $200,000 if I sold it now, and since I have no mortgage on the condo (I own it outright), let my kids worry about what to do with the condo when I reach the end of my life. I don't need a beautiful kitchen or bathrooms or marble flooring throughout the apartment. I'm thankful that I have a place to live in a gated and secure community.

But I sure can relate to all of you the anxiety I experienced this morning while completing my daily morning constitutionals (I'm trying to "clean" this experience up as best I can) as my "throne" began to tilt and move. It's an experience I will not miss for the rest of my life! :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Nice to hear from you and glad to hear the Genesis is still like new.

• Options
    @Mike, just because your toilet is loose, that doesn’t mean it has to be replaced. Unless the toilet is cracked all that has to be done is to tighten the mounting bolts although it would be best if a new wax ring is installed. That would require removing the toilet which will cost more money than simply tightening the mounting bolts.

FWIW, I don’t like the installation you describe with marble extending over the tank because that could require removing the toilet to install a new fill valve and/or flapper. Another reason I don’t like that type of installation is because things could fall off that extension and drop into the toilet, possibly clogging the toilet, that in a lot of cases means calling out a plumber.

I can’t verify this but if I had to guess I’d say a plumber designed that type of installation. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options

J - you beat me to it. Not sure the entire toilet needs to be replaced. Sounds like it needs to be pulled and the integrity of the flange needs to be confirmed. Then it can be reinstalled with a new wax ring.

• Options

At 33 years old, if you are paying to R&R costs might as well get a new unit too for the cost of the part.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,083
    stickguy said:

At 33 years old, if you are paying to R&R costs might as well get a new unit too for the cost of the part.

33 years is time for a new toilet..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

————————————————
    That is definitely an option and if @Mike decides to go that route he might as well get the elongated style if he doesn’t already have that and also get the higher unit too.

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,083
    Round toilets.. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    edited December 2023
    Since this topic used to be Stories from the Sales Frontlines..., I have a sales story
    to check on. An area Chev store sent a mailing about their sale at 10 am Dec 30 of used
    cars. All cars will have been reduced, one to $100. Anyone sitting in the driver seat can
    purchase that car at reduced price. If not, then the offer to buy goes to passenger
    seat person, then rear seat person. If no one, then car is marked down further.

All late model, low mileage vehicles up to 50% off MSRP ( does that mean original
    MSRP when new or the used car price from some book calling that MSRP?).

Sounds like a gimmick to me.

https://www.facebook.com/whiteallenchevy/posts/pfbid0LszBXWLtg8ZhPP8NYCvo2RcYuAGcYs6DABU9DiD6rkQWSvGm32RW2ZzQ6r47YfkDl

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    It's a car dealer, so get the readers for the fine print...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,060
    of course it is a gimmick. I'm sure the $100 car is not one you'd want. The rest of the ad is typical BS using "up to" language.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    $100 car revealed: A nearly pristine 1974 Chevy Vega! We'll throw in a fire extinguisher!

• Options

You scoff but that could probably push $10k at Barrett Jackson.

• Options
    stickguy said:

You scoff but that could probably push $10k at Barrett Jackson.

Then boy do I have a bridge to sell that bidder to enjoy driving his new Vega across!

I enjoy watching, on occasion, olde tyme game shows, to see the wonderful new cars contestants win. If only they knew what awaited them...

• Options
    abacomike said:

I was sitting on the toilet this morning and noticed that the base was not very stable. So I called the company that covers my plumbing, A/C, electricity, etc., and they said that toilet replacement was not covered in my contract with them. They told me that to replace the toilet in the guest bathroom with the same toilet (size, height, color and manufacturer) it would cost me $715 for the toilet, parts, labor, caulking, and other miscellaneous stuff. This company has hundreds of contracts here in my condo community and they are most familiar with Kohler and the fixtures in all these apartments, especially the guest bathrooms because of an extension piece of marble that is above the back of the toilet. They told me they had to special order the toilet which would take 2-3 days.

So I called another local plumber and they told me the same thing (special order, etc.) and the cost was $699 - a couple of bucks less than the company that I am contracted with. So I went ahead and gave them the $715 via a credit card, and they went ahead and ordered it.

My condo is 33 years old and has the original fixtures in both bathrooms - toilets, sinks, marble countertops, etc. So I have to expect that things are going to need to be replaced. Many condo owners have gutted their apartments and updated kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, etc. I have chosen to not invest $50,000 in this condo mainly because I can't afford to spend that kind of money as I approach my 80th birthday next year. My philosophy on this subject is that since the condo, in its present condition, would bring about $200,000 if I sold it now, and since I have no mortgage on the condo (I own it outright), let my kids worry about what to do with the condo when I reach the end of my life. I don't need a beautiful kitchen or bathrooms or marble flooring throughout the apartment. I'm thankful that I have a place to live in a gated and secure community.

But I sure can relate to all of you the anxiety I experienced this morning while completing my daily morning constitutionals (I'm trying to "clean" this experience up as best I can) as my "throne" began to tilt and move. It's an experience I will not miss for the rest of my life! :o

Man I am utilizing all my self control for not using that first line. B)

Anyway I will add to the ones that say that it's not seated right (no pun intended) and all it needs at the most is a new wax ring and being reset. It would be an easy job if it weren't for the weight of the toilet.

• Options

Since this topic used to be Stories from the Sales Frontlines..., I have a sales story
    to check on. An area Chev store sent a mailing about their sale at 10 am Dec 30 of used
    cars. All cars will have been reduced, one to $100. Anyone sitting in the driver seat can
    purchase that car at reduced price. If not, then the offer to buy goes to passenger

All late model, low mileage vehicles up to 50% off MSRP ( does that mean original

https://www.facebook.com/whiteallenchevy/posts/pfbid0LszBXWLtg8ZhPP8NYCvo2RcYuAGcYs6DABU9DiD6rkQWSvGm32RW2ZzQ6r47YfkDl

————————————————
    You know the old saying, “if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it ain’t no chicken”.

jmonroe
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,488
    qbrozen said:

of course it is a gimmick. I'm sure the $100 car is not one you'd want. The rest of the ad is typical BS using "up to" language.

The 1967 Riviera I bought for $5 in 1979 served me well for months.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    abacomike said:

After 40 years we had a similar problem. Turned out it wasn’t the wax ring but the actual bolts that held down the toilet had rusted away. We had the plumber replace the bolts and the wax ring while he was there and we’re good to go for another 40 years.

Just curious, why replace the toilet itself as they hardly ever break? It’s usually the mounting hardware or the internal flush mechanism. It would have cost us an extra $750 for a new toilet.

• Options

I bet when you arrive, the sales manager’s cousin is sitting in the driver’s seat of the $100 car.

• Options

seat person, then rear seat person

MSRP when new l

So you have to sit in a car with 5 or 6 people and fight over who is next, and probably pick up a cold, covid or the flu. And say if the car is a possible, how do you get a mechanic to look at it? How do you take it on a test drive.
    It would be worth going on December 30th just to watch this circus.
    It's like lining up at 4 p.m. the day before the store opens at 9 a.m. in order to save $40 on a TV set that is special model that they made more cheaply for Black Friday sales.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    After 40 years we had a similar problem. Turned out it wasn’t the wax ring but the actual bolts that held down the toilet had rusted away. We had the plumber replace the bolts and the wax ring while he was there and we’re good to go for another 40 years.

Just curious, why replace the toilet itself as they hardly ever break? It’s usually the mounting hardware or the internal flush mechanism. It would have cost us an extra $750 for a new toilet.

I’ll know more when they deliver and install the new toilet. It had to be the exact height due to the vanity marble extension where the toilet sits. So they had to special order it through Kohler.

I think it’s the mounting bolts on the left side of the fixture. But as Kyfdx mentioned, the toilet is 33 years old and the one I use daily. The other toilet in the other bedroom is just as old, but hardly ever used. Since I am having problems with it, it just makes better sense to just replace it.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

Anyway I will add to the ones that say that it's not seated right (no pun intended) and all it needs at the most is a new wax ring and being reset. It would be an easy job if it weren't for the weight of the toilet.

…not to mention the weight “on the toilet”! 😜😜

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

…not to mention the weight “on the toilet”! 😜😜

————————————————
    I’ve never heard of one being replaced while in use. :o

jmonroe