Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,754
    Guess I'm an outlier, perhaps as a lifelong skier, but I enjoy snow. Winter sans snow is a gray, depressing sight. I don't love shoveling it, and as a townhouse dweller I don't have to, but I love seeing it, walking the dog in snow, even driving in snow.
    When life gives you snow, make snowmen!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,620

Guess I'm an outlier, perhaps as a lifelong skier, but I enjoy snow. Winter sans snow is a gray, depressing sight. I don't love shoveling it, and as a townhouse dweller I don't have to, but I love seeing it, walking the dog in snow, even driving in snow.

————————————————
    I’d much rather let sunshine give me a tan. Which, BTW, will melt your snowmen. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    And that is another reason snow is great, eventually it melts away, filling our rivers and streams (any, yes, creating mud season). It rarely causes catastrophic damage, unlike some of Mother Nature's other offerings.

The A7 is encased in ice. I scraped the windows, freed the wipers, opened/closed all the doors. Supposed to be ~50 by Wednesday, no worries.

And I also have a warm spot in my heart for that bright ball of warmth in the sky (in fact, if it disappeared tomorrow for good, I'm not sure I'd want to live!), always enjoyed visiting my parents in Boca and my brother in LA. As well as Aruba, Bahamas, Turks/Caicos...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    edited January 8
    So, just a gorgeous morning, our little world reflects brilliant sunshine from the fresh, white snow/ice. HOA did a nice job of plowing/shoveling, carefully hand shoveling around the poor, homeless A7. I should have thought of it earlier, but this morning I backed the Audi into the driveway to allow Mr. Sun to do its magic on the front of the car as it is pulled across the sky by Helios.
    Nice doggie walk in the crisp air this morning, even at 14+ he continues to love and romp in the snow. We both enjoyed a brilliant sun lit view of the Atlantic.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,054
    Snow falling this morning in the greater Denver area. Only a few inches of light, fluffy snow, but a slight breeze has created a few drifts, here and there. Girls have a camp at the studio today, but reported that the major roads were fine on their drive in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,994

Or like be in Florida :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Florida? Hurricanes, flooding, Palmetto Bugs, snakes, alligators...um, no.
    Actually, as mentioned, always enjoyed visiting family in Boca in Winter. But, then back to the slopes!

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,340
    edited January 9

When life gives you snow stay inside, get a fire going in the fireplace, pour yourself a nice cognac and wait for a warm sunny day.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Can't afford cognac; how about a Diet Coke?

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,340

Can't afford cognac; how about a Diet Coke?

In that case, light a candle and have a diet coke.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    You are most wise.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,727
    Interesting. Carvana just told my my car is worth $1,100 more this month than last. Right after the first snow too. I guess they wouldn’t be trying to sell it locally.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Actually, as mentioned, always enjoyed visiting family in Boca in Winter. But, then back to the slopes!

As Joan Rivers said, "I don't do any sport where there is an ambulance waiting for me at the bottom of the hill".
    Not too many hurricanes in the winter, and alligators have to be very hungry to try and eat a person.

• Options
    I bought a $160 million dollar Mega Million ticket for tonights draw. I haven't bought a ticket in about 15 years...I used to buy them when I went into a gas station to pay. Now that you pay at the pumps I don't bother.
    If I do win I will have to buy a nice boat, a new baby Rolls, a house in London and Switzerland, a Rolex, get a membership to a posh tennis and pickleball club, maybe get an executive jet, find some fancy new friends, and it will have been nice knowing you guys.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,909
    driver100 said:

I bought a $160 million dollar Mega Million ticket for tonights draw. I haven't bought a ticket in about 15 years...I used to buy them when I went into a gas station to pay. Now that you pay at the pumps I don't bother.
    If I do win I will have to buy a nice boat, a new baby Rolls, a house in London and Switzerland, a Rolex, get a membership to a posh tennis and pickleball club, maybe get an executive jet, find some fancy new friends, and it will have been nice knowing you guys.

I hope you win. :#

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    edited January 9
    driver100 said:

————————————————
    That being the case, I hope you win.

Edit: I see @venture beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    @venture & @jmonroe 1 Thanks for the good wishes....if I win I'll buy both of you an oil change, each.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    driver100 said:

@venture & @jmonroe 1 Thanks for the good wishes....if I win I'll buy both of you an oil change, each.

You can at least treat them to a first rate steak dinner, dessert and a fine bottle of wine.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

driver100 said:

You can at least treat them to a first rate steak dinner, dessert and a fine bottle of wine.
    ————————————————
    Now I have even more reason to hope he wins. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,640
    had an interesting call today from a local Ford dealer (not the one that I used last year for the 1 oil change I had done while I lived up here). They apparently got a list of local people with a car that has an open recall, and cold called to see if I wanted to get it taken care of. They have a roaming tech service now, and for recalls (software updates only basically) they will make an appointment to come out and do it at my house.

I told them not to bother, and I would have it down in a couple of months when it is time for my first oil change. Still not quite sure I want it done since I am not having any issues they supposedly address, so why tempt fate?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Sorry, they should give me the prize for not even having one number right. :'(
    I guess you will still have me around for a while.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,727
    edited January 10
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    I don’t play those big lotteries until the payout is greater than the odds of me winning. Currently on the Power Ball and Mega Millions the odds are about 270 million to 1 against me. I couldn’t be bothered with a measly $160 million.😂

PS. If I won $400-500 million I’d buy every poster buddy a new car, the oil changes would be on them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,373
    Now for something completely different. Pretty entertaining. 6 minutes long.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeXls4zY2Q8
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,129
    driver100 said:

Be sure to look into electric options for the Rolls, the airplane and the boat. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100 said:

As Joan Rivers said, "I don't do any sport where there is an ambulance waiting for me at the bottom of the hill".
    Not too many hurricanes in the winter, and alligators have to be very hungry to try and eat a person.
    Yet, you drive on the perfectly safe roads. In Florida. ;)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,401
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————
    That being the case, I hope you win.

Edit: I see @venture beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

jmonroe
    Ditto.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    I don’t play those big lotteries until the payout is greater than the odds of me winning. Currently on the Power Ball and Mega Millions the odds are about 270 million to 1 against me. I couldn’t be bothered with a measly $160 million.😂

PS. If I won $400-500 million I’d buy every poster buddy a new car, the oil changes would be on them.
    That's nice of you @oldfarmer50 . Do we get to choose whatever car we want?
    I would have offered that for $500 million, but not with a measly $160 million. :/

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,168
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    I remember the good old days when the Ohio lottery started and the numbers from which
    you picked were 1-40. Now it's what? 1-90? So the odds of picking a number that
    rolls up on the ping pong balls is really low on each 6 numbers per line on
    the tickets.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,516

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    I remember the good old days when the Ohio lottery started and the numbers from which
    the tickets.

I can remember jackpots under $1 million

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    So the odds of picking a number that
    the tickets.

But if you buy 10 tickets you have 10X as much chance of winning....lol! :)
    I'd only buy 1 ticket, maybe two, but basically it is total luck if 6 numbers line up...but, someone usually does win.
    Apparently,
    The Mega Millions lottery requires players to choose five numbers between 1 and 69, and one additional number, the Mega Ball, from 1 to 26. To win the top prize players must select all six numbers correctly, at odds of 302,575,350 to 1.

And if you buy 10 tickets you get 10 chances out of 302,575,350.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    the tickets.

$1 million doesn't change my life enough to make it worthwhile.

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    So the odds of picking a number that
    the tickets.

But if you buy 10 tickets you have 10X as much chance of winning....lol! :)
    I'd only buy 1 ticket, maybe two, but basically it is total luck if 6 numbers line up...but, someone usually does win.
    Apparently,
    The Mega Millions lottery requires players to choose five numbers between 1 and 69, and one additional number, the Mega Ball, from 1 to 26. To win the top prize players must select all six numbers correctly, at odds of 302,575,350 to 1.

And if you buy 10 tickets you get 10 chances out of 302,575,350.

————————————————
    At least you know if you buy 10 tickets you have 10 times the chance of winning. You’ll never get that kind of a guarantee playing the stock market.

Better to go with the guarantee.

jmonroe
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,508
    Lotteries are visible proof that most people can't do arithmetic. For starters, half or more of the take goes to the government or whoever sponsors the thing. If Nevada was giving 50% odds of winning, the place would be a wasteland, I mean all of it, not just the 90% that is today.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    edited January 10

I hope the storm that headed north hasn't impacted anyone badly. We had this fun in our back yard. A dry stream open up in the woods and trashed the yard. It has happened before but not like this. Thankfully it never got close to the house.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

I hope the storm that headed north hasn't impacted anyone badly. We had this fun in our back yard. A dry stream open up in the woods and trashed the yard. It has happened before but not like this. Thankfully it never got close to the house.

————————————————
    Nothing bad in the Burgh area, just a little wind but not as bad as what they were predicting.

I hope that cleanup goes well but it still looks like a lot of work. Good luck with that.

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    the tickets.

I bet it would have made a difference 40 years ago, when the jackpots were $1 million.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    the tickets.

I bet it would have made a difference 40 years ago, when the jackpots were $1 million.
    Yeh, That's when a $1 million was worth a $1 million! :)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,214
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    the tickets.

I seldom play, but when I do on a whim, the jackpot has to be at least mid 9 figures.

1MM - so after tax maybe 650K. I could pay off the house and car, maybe buy a few treats, invest the rest - no new car, no new house, no early retirement etc.
  • Options
    I was looking at my local Toyota website. They don't use the term MSRP. Now they are saying SRP.

You have to give them credit for ingenuity.

• Options
    fintail said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    the tickets.

I seldom play, but when I do on a whim, the jackpot has to be at least mid 9 figures.

1MM - so after tax maybe 650K. I could pay off the house and car, maybe buy a few treats, invest the rest - no new car, no new house, no early retirement etc.
    I never play, but if I did win a million it would change my life. I would be able to invest it along with my others and turn it into $900,000 in almost no time.

• Options
    venture said:

I was looking at my local Toyota website. They don't use the term MSRP. Now they are saying SRP.

————————————————
    Clever thieves have always had ingenuity. In the case of selling cars the buyer has always subscribed to the truism, “there’s a sucker born every minute”.

jmonroe
  • Options
    venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    the tickets.

I never play, but if I did win a million it would change my life. I would be able to invest it along with my others and turn it into $900,000 in almost no time.
    ————————————————
    I didn’t know we have the same financial advisor.

jmonroe
  • Options
    venture said:

Someone linked Toyota stickers that had "TSRP" at the bottom.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,177
    Brave new world of old style ADMs.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,957

$650K after taxes would be amazing. Pay off one of the houses, tuck a little away and buy a classic car for me and a few fancy things for the wife.

Life changing? Maybe not but would be darn nice!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,168
    edited January 11

"Hertz cites weak demand, high damage costs in decision to downsize EV fleet"

My son had EV either 2 or 3 times on his trips to DC last year. I think he decided
    they were more trouble than they're worth, even for short drives working in the area.

I recall they didn't tell renters that the unit only needed to be charged to 80% to be
    considered a "full tank" upon return the first time he rented. So he had to try to
    fuss around getting the "tank" as full as possible to drop off at DCA.

On one of the last trips he had a BMW, which he kind of liked. Scares me.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/hertz-cites-weak-demand-high-damage-costs-in-decision-to-downsize-ev-fleet-0996ae17?mod=home-page

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited January 11
    kyfdx said:

venture said:

Someone linked Toyota stickers that had "TSRP" at the bottom.. :o
    https://www.gofioretoyota.com

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,214
    tjc78 said:

$650K after taxes would be amazing. Pay off one of the houses, tuck a little away and buy a classic car for me and a few fancy things for the wife.

Life changing? Maybe not but would be darn nice!

I suppose with no mortgage or car note, I would have some extra play money. Maybe expand the garage and pick up another old croc - but maybe like you, I am a "low roller" in my old car tastes, and would be unlikely to want anything more than 20-25K. Also maybe take a cool vacation more frequently.
  • Options
    I'd take the net and try to get the wife to retire, apply the proceeds to health insurance premiums until Medicare time.
    And then go nuts and play a $50 hand of blackjack.