Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,985

@qbrozen said:

@driver100 said:
    I saw that the score in the Cowboys vs Lions game was 20 to 19 I decided to watch the highlights of the game to see how they got that score. It was a good game judging by the highlights.

But, I saw ads for 2 different heating devices that will save me huge amounts of money. One was made by an ex-NASA engineer, and one by a student who worked on a project. Compelling stories.

I don't need a heater but how many new heater devices do we need, and do these actually work. If they did work wouldn't you be able to buy on at Walmart or Costco....and not online?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IE9igiIXtY

Well, Philly didn’t hold up their end of the deal. I consider their season over at this point. The defense is the worst it has been in decades.

I was driving through SC during the game and couldn’t stream it, so was listening to an ESPN highlight loop and couldn’t believe it.

Eagles along with the Chiefs over on the AFC side have fallen apart. I still think they can pull out a week 1 playoff win but no further.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,656
    tjc78 said:

@qbrozen said:

@driver100 said:

I saw that the score in the Cowboys vs Lions game was 20 to 19 I decided to watch the highlights of the game to see how they got that score. It was a good game judging by the highlights.

But, I saw ads for 2 different heating devices that will save me huge amounts of money. One was made by an ex-NASA engineer, and one by a student who worked on a project. Compelling stories.

I don't need a heater but how many new heater devices do we need, and do these actually work. If they did work wouldn't you be able to buy on at Walmart or Costco....and not online?
    imagehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IE9igiIXtY

Well, Philly didn’t hold up their end of the deal. I consider their season over at this point. The defense is the worst it has been in decades.

I was driving through SC during the game and couldn’t stream it, so was listening to an ESPN highlight loop and couldn’t believe it.

Eagles along with the Chiefs over on the AFC side have fallen apart. I still think they can pull out a week 1 playoff win but no further.

————————————————
    That’s better than what the Steelers will do if they even get to the playoffs.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,159
    jmonroe1 said:

Steelers looked pretty good for the second week in a row.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Steelers looked pretty good for the second week in a row.
    ————————————————
    And they will still need help to get to the playoffs. If their head coach wasn’t as arrogant as he is they’d have already locked up a playoff sport. Holding to his “I’m the smartest guy in this room” attitude, the Steelers lost to two teams that had a 2-10 record when they played them a few weeks ago (namely the Cardinals and the Patriots) then followed that up the next week by losing to the Colts who had a record almost as bad. Well, they’re looking for those 3 games now. Hell, a win over any one of those teams would have locked up a playoff spot with their win today.

FWIW, I hope Mason Rudolph does great then holds them up for a contract come next seaon. If the Steelers cheap out on him I hope he goes somewhere and lights up the league. The Steelers have screwed that guy ever since they drafted him 6 years ago.

There are several knowledgeable football people in the Burgh (some retired Steelers) who have been calling for Rudolph to start ever since baby Ben retired.

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,718
    used my new rechargeable tire inflator. Very nice having it digital. Set the pressure you want, snap it on the stem (at which point the unit tells you the current pressure, so it is a tire gauge too), hit the start button and it chugs along until it hits the preset and turns off.

seems accurate since it registered the exact same pressure I knew was in there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,306
    stickguy said:

used my new rechargeable tire inflator. Very nice having it digital. Set the pressure you want, snap it on the stem (at which point the unit tells you the current pressure, so it is a tire gauge too), hit the start button and it chugs along until it hits the preset and turns off.

seems accurate since it registered the exact same pressure I knew was in there.

Which one did you get? I “need” one.
  • Options

I forget. Christmas present from Amazon.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    stickguy said:

I forget. Christmas present from Amazon.

Doesn't it say on it? Do you plug it into the cigarette lighter?
    I hear they are slow. I have one in my trunk, but I decided it was easier to drive 2 blocks to the gas station. I thought it would have an option...to use the cig lighter or use electricity. I figured by the time I back it out of the garage, hook up the wires, wait if it takes a long time...I might as well go to the gas station 2 blocks away.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    For fun I decided to try and find the closest charging station to me in Florida.
    There is a Tesla one 4 minutes away in the plaza a few blocks away.
    Then I checked for one if I was driving a Jaguar. I am sure something is wrong but the closest one to me in ZIP 33573 is 32 hours away, at OLSENS IGA STATION #1
    1911 N Ajo Gila Bend Hwy Ajo, AZ 85321

• Options

I think you screwed that search up.

My unit is rechargeable. Just take it out of the bag and pop it on. No need to go anywhere. It charges with a usb cord.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,427
    stickguy said:

My unit is rechargeable. Just take it out of the bag and pop it on. No need to go anywhere. It charges with a usb cord.

You are much braver than me- your car could catch fire or explode.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguy said:

I was talking about 2 different things. The tire inflator I bought 4 years ago has to be plugged into a cigarette lighter. I think you have a newer digital one that actually inflates the tire....much easier and a great idea.

The charging the cars was about EVs. I checked where the closest Tesla charger was to me and it was 4 minutes away, bit the charger for a Jaguar was 32 hours away.

One question. So do you plug the USB cord into a port?

• Options

I meant your jaguar charger search was off.

I charge the unit by plugging the usb cord into a wall plug charger block. Just like a laptop or phone.

• Options
    OK, but I was thinking of if I lived in an apartment complex where I would have to look for a charger....like we talked about yesterday.
    I am sure there is one closer than 32 hours away, but on a quick search that is what I found....Tesla 4 minutes away, and a Jaguar charger 32 hours away.

• Options

Just search EV charging. There are two types. Tesla specific and then all other cars. There are no Jaguar specific chargers.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,579
    tjc78 said:

Just search EV charging. There are two types. Tesla specific and then all other cars. There are no Jaguar specific chargers.

“I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.”
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Here's another incident for Driver to chew on:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/12/chrysler-tech-center-fire-was-caused-by-secret-electric-prototype/

• Options
    ab348 said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Here's another incident for Driver to chew on:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/12/chrysler-tech-center-fire-was-caused-by-secret-electric-prototype/

Thanks @ab348 , I'll add it to my list.
    I did check on non-Tesla charging stations in my area. One is about 12 minutes away on a good day, 16 minutes during heavy traffic but it is at a retirement home...not sure if it is for the public.
    The next one is at luxury apartments which is 15 to 18 minutes away.
    Then I entered public chargers and I got one that is about 15 to 18 minutes away. I have about 3 or 4 gas stations that are 4 to 6 minutes away. I don't think there is a place to eat there, when I look at it on a satelite map it seems to be located in a forest, or in a housing complex.
    Use area code 33573. I used Chargehub.com

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,770
    Neighbor bought a BMW X5 PHEV around Thanksgiving time. He said he still hasn't even opened the fuel filler door, still has 250 miles dte showing. They love it.
    Cool dark green-ish color.
    Nice to have another nuclear sub in the hood.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,888
    edited January 2

Neighbor bought a BMW X5 PHEV around Thanksgiving time. He said he still hasn't even opened the fuel filler door, still has 250 miles dte showing. They love it.

Yours is a Los Angeles class hunter.

Theirs is an Ohio class boomer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Today I happened to look out the window just after 3PM when the high school down the street lets out. Pulling up to the stop sign in front of my house was a Tesla (yawn) followed by one of those electric Hyundais that looks like a sea creature come ashore.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,427

How do you guys manage without a guy to plug/unplug? It's so complicated and inconvenient.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    for some reason, I found this quite humorous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcL_cbx-kHU

• Options
    stickguy said:

————————————————
    And that’s why I’ve never talked to any of my cars.

jmonroe
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,770

How do you guys manage without a guy to plug/unplug? It's so complicated and inconvenient.
    I just close my eyes, pretend it's my electric shaver and plug it in!
    Is there any greater thrill?!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

But I use Gillette blades! :)

• Options
    edited January 4
    JMonroe is going to be proud of me when he hears about my DIY accomplishment.
    *I heard water rushing into the toilet every hour so I changed the flapper. btw, the water in Florida is really hard on flappers.
    *I put in a new one....a brand that seems to work well, and it helped but I could still hear the water running to fill it up once about every two hours.
    *I figured, the only thing I can change is the tension on the chain, and the angle that the flapper connects....oh and I also carefully cleaned around the drainage area in case of foreign debris.
    *So, I bent the metal handle that holds the chain so it was more directly above the flapper, and I made the chain tighter by getting rid of some loops.
    So far it seems to be working. :D
    I think I will treat myself to a nap.

• Options
    I got that email last week asking me to contact an old friend. Yesterday I got one offering me some money coming my way;
    You have an e-transfer that is expiring tomorrow, don't forget to deposit it. For info visit exptransfercompany.com. Rates may apply.

I better get an email off to them asap.

• Options
    Major problems with EV buses in St Albert and Edmonton Alberta:

Briefly:
    * lifespan and performance, falling from what was initially thought to be 18 years to an expected lifespan of 12 years – 33% less than predicted.
    * The buses, sourced from Chinese manufacturer BYD Ltd., experienced premature battery degradation, mechanical failures, and charger malfunctions
    * The battery replacements on our three BYD buses each took 80 days to accomplish and were out of service for the duration of the replacement,”
    * Most of Edmonton’s electric buses, manufactured by the now-bankrupt Proterra, remain inoperable, with no way to acquire the parts to fix them.

*Forty-four of Edmonton’s 60 electric buses are no longer roadworthy.
    *Proterra’s website claims that the buses can go up to 270 mi on a single charge. However, the buses from Edmonton have a range of merely 65 mi., not even a quarter of what was advertised.
    *This limited range means electric buses are only on the streets from 5-8:30 am before charging and eventually returning to the roads between 2:30-6:30 pm.

Conversely, a diesel ETS bus can be on the road for 21 hours without ever tanking up

Just reporting the facts, in case someone is in charge of buying a fleet of buses.

• Options
    driver100 said:

*I heard water rushing into the toilet every hour so I changed the flapper. btw, the water in Florida is really hard on flappers.
    *I put in a new one....a brand that seems to work well, and it helped but I could still hear the water running to fill it up once about every two hours.
    *I figured, the only thing I can change is the tension on the chain, and the angle that the flapper connects....oh and I also carefully cleaned around the drainage area in case of foreign debris.
    *So, I bent the metal handle that holds the chain so it was more directly above the flapper, and I made the chain tighter by getting rid of some loops.

————————————————
    That was a real work out, sorry it tired you out. Pleasant dreams. I hope you washed your hands.

jmonroe
  • Options

So… I know we’ve had the garbage disposal discussion before and we had the love it/hate it camp for sure.

Well… we use ours sparingly and watch what we put down it, but here is a story for the hate it camp:

My mother for whatever reason decided to put a ton of sweet potato skins down ours (a big no-no) and clogged the pipe where it enters a “T” under the sink. Luckily it was an easy fix requiring only a screwdriver and a shop vac but was still a pain!

I’m glad it clogged under the sink and not somewhere else requiring a plumber

• Options
    @tjc78 You are fortunate you could fix the problem yourself, and fairly easily.
    People think little Badgers are going to liquify everything. Things like potato skins should go in the garbage, crumbs and little stuff can get chewed up by the badger.
    At our main home they convinced me to get a more professional GD unit ($350 compared to $100), and I am glad I did, because that sink costs a lot to fix, but I am still pretty careful what I use it for. For larger objects it isn't a big deal to throw them out.....compared to the hassle of having to call the guy or even try to fix your own plumbing.
    That's how I see it.
    btw...mother you could say something, mother-in-law, maybe best not to.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,107
    I have the opposite problem. My wife puts all the food waste in the garbage. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————
    That was a real work out, sorry it tired you out. Pleasant dreams. I hope you washed your hands.

jmonroe
    Thanks for the sympathy, I did wash my hands and I remembered to remove my watch.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

So… I know we’ve had the garbage disposal discussion before and we had the love it/hate it camp for sure.

Well… we use ours sparingly and watch what we put down it, but here is a story for the hate it camp:

My mother for whatever reason decided to put a ton of sweet potato skins down ours (a big no-no) and clogged the pipe where it enters a “T” under the sink. Luckily it was an easy fix requiring only a screwdriver and a shop vac but was still a pain!

I’m glad it clogged under the sink and not somewhere else requiring a plumber

————————————————
    I’m in the camp of using it for just about everything including potato peels but mine is a 1 HP job. However, the only time I had a problem with potato peels was in my first house back in the early ‘70s, when I had a 1/3 HP toy. I corrected that with a 1/2 HP unit and have never had a problem with potato peels since. One of the supposed no-no’s of disposals is not putting banana peels in it. I even do that.

If we didn’t have a good disposal my garbage would be a lot heavier and that would cause me to start a more rigorous weight lifting program which I ain’t gonna do.

Like I’ve said before several times… “I didn’t buy it to sit under the sink and look pretty”.

jmonroe
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,409
    Cucumber peels are pretty bad, too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

————————————————
    Not in our house but I finally convinced Mrs. j not to peel cucumbers because all the science info I’ve heard says almost all of the nutrients in cucumbers is in the skin. I guess you could also use the reasoning that no one peels their pickles.

jmonroe

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,179
    driver100 said:

Ued EV prices dropped (ing) fast

https://www.iseecars.com/hybrid-and-electric-car-prices-study

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,179

For peels that want to stick to the inside of the housing, I like using ice cubes to clean the disposal.
    Fill with ice. Let stand a while. Then run blades intermitently. Then a little water as blades run.
    Lets the ice shards clean the sides of the grinder really well.

Next problem: how to clean the gunk off the rubber insert at the top of the housing without removing it and using a toothbrush.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

driver100 said:

Ued EV prices dropped (ing) fast

https://www.iseecars.com/hybrid-and-electric-car-prices-study
    Very interesting - I wonder why?...and I don't know if anyone has commented on this;

With 24 accidents per 1,000 drivers during the period from mid-November 2022 to mid-November 2023, Tesla drivers clocked in with the worst accident rate in the U.S., according to a study by Lending Tree, ahead of Ram and Subaru drivers.

BMW drivers were the most likely to engage in driving under the influence, the researchers found, with 3 DUIs per 1,000 drivers in a year, about twice the rate of DUIs among Ram drivers, who were the second worst drivers in this regard.

Accidents, DUIs, speeding and other citations can all lead to higher insurance rates for drivers. Tesla owners may pay more for insurance???????

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————
    Not in our house but I finally convinced Mrs. j not to peel cucumbers because all the science info I’ve heard says almost all of the nutrients in cucumbers is in the skin. I guess you could also use the reasoning that no one peels their pickles.
    I only buy those long skinny English cucumbers now because you don’t need to peel them and can eat them as they are. Though how they can ship them all the way from England and still sell them cheap is a puzzler. B)

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,011
    Many moons ago, mom I hope you aren't reading this...while preparing for a large dinner party, mom put a bunch of shrimp peelings down the disposal. Did it clog the drain, YES! Of course, this was about 30 minutes before guests were to arrive. Mom was able to work around this by using the sink in the laundry room. A good time was still had by all. The plumber did not arrive until the next day. Hard lesson learned.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    driver100 said:

*Forty-four of Edmonton’s 60 electric buses are no longer roadworthy.
    *Proterra’s website claims that the buses can go up to 270 mi on a single charge. However, the buses from Edmonton have a range of merely 65 mi., not even a quarter of what was advertised.
    *This limited range means electric buses are only on the streets from 5-8:30 am before charging and eventually returning to the roads between 2:30-6:30 pm.

Conversely, a diesel ETS bus can be on the road for 21 hours without ever tanking up

Just reporting the facts, in case someone is in charge of buying a fleet of buses.

My city (one of the national leaders in virtue signalling) has 80 of them on order at a price of over a million worthless Canadian dollars apiece. Apparently they are being sourced from Novabus, a Canadian manufacturer, though how much expertise they have in electric vehicles is unknown. I eagerly await the hilarity once they are deployed.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    You and me both.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Back to the dishwasher topic, I almost bought a new one today even though my old one is still working fine. I thought I’d get a new stainless one so it would match the rest of my new appliances. But the decision was too tough. Plus the install might be a pain, having never done one before. I dithered between a Whirlpool, a similar but quieter KitchenAid, and a Bosch until the guy at HD told me and another customer who was looking that if we weren’t going to buy a Bosch the only brand to get was a LG, which boggled both of our minds. I hadn’t considered those but they make a good washer so it makes sense that maybe their dishwashers are good too.

I was ready to go with a Bosch 300 series that is on sale but even with those there are reviews complaining about the rack design and problems with drying dishes, but all brands have some complaints in their reviews sections. It was this one: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/bosch-300-series-24-46db-built-in-dishwasher-with-third-rack-she53c85n-stainless-steel/17109459

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,011
    From our experience with an older Bosch and newer models may perform better, using a rinse agent makes a difference in drying the dishes. Plastic cups, containers, etc. rarely dry completely. We just dab them with a towel when unloading the dishwasher. Ours is the 50db model which is decently quiet. I know there are much quieter models offered now. When it comes to replacement time it will be another Bosch.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,107
    Our Bosch is nine or ten years old. I'll get another one. No issues. Very quiet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 4
    We have a Bosch at home...our 3rd or 4th and it is as good as can be, dishes are clean and they are dry, and it is pretty quiet.
    We have a newer Maytag in Florida, but the dish arrangement is very poor....I'd really look into that when buying. There are no smaller sections for flat plates above, they just flop over, the bowls and flat dishes roll out of place if there aren't cups or glasses along the side. It washes and dries nicely, but the dish arrangement was not designed right. Bosch does a great job of getting the arrangements right.

Also, note those larger mugs don't fit in the sides, only narrower cups and glasses.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,306

The trick is to keep your tongue away from the charger plug in😂
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,763
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    And that’s why I’ve never talked to any of my cars.

jmonroe
    I’ve cursed at a few.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible