Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    @abacomike Good review Mike, interesting comments to find the right car.
    The Hyundai Palisades look great, have everything, get great reviews, and you might do better trading a Hyundai for a Hyundai.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,741
    my son really likes his Telluride. He was one of the top line models and the interior is really upscale. And the seats seem very comfy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,012
    They are typically firm german seats. Our VW and Audi seats are similar, not cushy but firm.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,164
    Mike, sorry to read of your challenges. You might be better off having avoided the Atlas. I actually like the design and look of them although both the regular version and the "Sport" are big beasts. But I have been hearing that the customer experience is not good with lots of niggly issues and reliability woes. CR has given them a terrible rating on that front.

My neighbor up the street is older than me and has similar health issues as me plus some other things that make him worse off. He had a 2013 GMC pickup he bought new that had pretty low miles, just over 50K so about 5000 a year. In talking to him this week I was surprised to learn that he was trading it for a new 2024 GMC. The reason was (and I had heard this from others a while ago) that this older generation of GM pickups has chronic frame rust problems. In his case a rear crossmember had failed and upon inspection the rest of the frame had several dubious spots where it looked ready to go. He was going to get it fixed but upon reflection decided that he could afford to replace it (I gather money is not a problem with him). They gave him $8K for the old truck and he is leasing a new 2024. As he told me, with his health issues he didn't want to spend on a purchase so a lease is more manageable in his situation where he may not last many years more. If he is still around he will just extend the lease or get into a new one as his situation evolves.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    There are times when leasing can be a better option. That sounds like one of them.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,778
    ab348 said:

Mike, sorry to read of your challenges. You might be better off having avoided the Atlas. I actually like the design and look of them although both the regular version and the "Sport" are big beasts. But I have been hearing that the customer experience is not good with lots of niggly issues and reliability woes. CR has given them a terrible rating on that front.

My neighbor up the street is older than me and has similar health issues as me plus some other things that make him worse off. He had a 2013 GMC pickup he bought new that had pretty low miles, just over 50K so about 5000 a year. In talking to him this week I was surprised to learn that he was trading it for a new 2024 GMC. The reason was (and I had heard this from others a while ago) that this older generation of GM pickups has chronic frame rust problems. In his case a rear crossmember had failed and upon inspection the rest of the frame had several dubious spots where it looked ready to go. He was going to get it fixed but upon reflection decided that he could afford to replace it (I gather money is not a problem with him). They gave him $8K for the old truck and he is leasing a new 2024. As he told me, with his health issues he didn't want to spend on a purchase so a lease is more manageable in his situation where he may not last many years more. If he is still around he will just extend the lease or get into a new one as his situation evolves.

Wow, frame rot after 50k miles? What do they use on the roads up there, battery acid? My 20 yo Chevy cargo van had extensive lower body rust but the frame was still solid except for surface rust.

When I bought my 2013 Ford the first thing I did was crawl underneath to look for rust even though it had only 30k miles. It was basically clean except for some surface rust on the welds. I plan on treating the undercarriage this summer to slow down further corrosion.

Did I ever mention that I hate rust?🤬🤬🤬

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Wow, frame rot after 50k miles? What do they use on the roads up there, battery acid? My 20 yo Chevy cargo van had extensive lower body rust but the frame was still solid except for surface rust.

When I bought my 2013 Ford the first thing I did was crawl underneath to look for rust even though it had only 30k miles. It was basically clean except for some surface rust on the welds. I plan on treating the undercarriage this summer to slow down further corrosion.

Did I ever mention that I hate rust?🤬🤬🤬

It seems to be a known issue with that generation. Another guy who does handyman-type stuff for a few of us in the neighborhood has a similar 2013 Silverado, the top of the line model whatever it’s called, which he babies and looks like new. He told me last fall he had the same frame crossmember rot and was getting it replaced. He blamed it in the “hydroformed steel” the frames are made from. Whether that means thinner steel I do not know. Annual rustproofing is a good investment here.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,351
    Oh oh, now I’ve done it. I was low on cash so I used my credit card at the supermarket and now I’m getting spam calls on my cell phone from Los Angeles. The CIA has found me!😢

Who cares if the Culinary Institute of America has found you. Maybe the will send you some good food.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

working since 10 am and have 9 tax returns down. Man today is brutal.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    One is enough for me -- nearly done.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

Got 11 done today. So much fun. Why do people wait till the last minute.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,310

I think Genesis should come out with a new SUV

The Genesis Abacab😂

• Options

working since 10 am and have 9 tax returns down. Man today is brutal.

After doing my own for 50+ years I finally had enough and started having someone else do mine. Even without the added burden of the farm business forms and records I just couldn’t go through that torture any more. I realized that the only reason I ever did them myself was that I was too poor to afford outside help but that is no longer the case.

Just got notified that the IRS will be withdrawing what I owe on April 15th.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,354
    Did my taxes in February. My son and his wife's return in March, and a 1041 (trust) return for my uncle's estate (on paper!) in late March.

That's enough!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,180
    kyfdx said:

Did my taxes in February. My son and his wife's return in March, and a 1041 (trust) return for my uncle's estate (on paper!) in late March.

That's enough!

Sounds like you need to open an office somewhere.

I had my taxes ready to put on final copy in middle of February, but mentally didn't feel up to finishing . So I was going to put them on paper Easter weekend. However, Best plans of mice and men.... And I mailed them on Friday and Saturday of this week.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,417

@kyfdx said:

That's enough!

My dad offered to introduce me to his accountant about 10 years ago. After his accountant told me what doing my taxes would cost, now I just use TurboTax.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,994
    edited April 14

@28firefighter said:

@kyfdx said:

That's enough!

My dad offered to introduce me to his accountant about 10 years ago. After his accountant told me what doing my taxes would cost, now I just use TurboTax.

It’s certainly not cheap. Ours was the lowest it has been in a while at $475. I’ve paid over $700 before depending on how many forms.

Not sure how long it actually takes but any professional service costs.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,777
    Been using H&R Block tax software forever. Fairly simple (the trick is not to make much money), since I owed I just filed this weekend. IRS already grabbed the $ from my credit union, state of MA gets an old fashioned, tear-stained check.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,354
    TurboTax here, as well.

1041 is very simple. Of course, you need the Business version to do it. I use TurboTax Home and Business version. Naturally, it doesn’t include the 1041. 🙄

So, did it on paper.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,041
    As I haven't heard from our CPA since their request for the 1095-SA form a week or so ago, I'll assume that an extension has been filed and it will get completed in the next couple of weeks .... just like last year.

Hoping the check(s) we write won't be quite as large, as the personal income went down significantly, and the business had about 60% of the net income in 2023 that we had in 2022.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

@tjc78 said:

@28firefighter said:

@kyfdx said:

That's enough!

It’s certainly not cheap. Ours was the lowest it has been in a while at $475. I’ve paid over $700 before depending on how many forms.

Not sure how long it actually takes but any professional service costs.

Unless it's something super complicated or doing a lot of entering stuff off of 1099 B's and such I can usually knock one out in an hour.

• Options

@laurasdada said:
    Been using H&R Block tax software forever. Fairly simple (the trick is not to make much money), since I owed I just filed this weekend. IRS already grabbed the $ from my credit union, state of MA gets an old fashioned, tear-stained check.

Make no money and it's real simple.

• Options
    HR block (taxcut) for me. Only time I ever dealt with an accountant was when I was executor for my sister's estate. But he was a friend of hers and didn't even charge us.

I see no reason to pay to have it done since I don't have anything exotic going on (weird investments, businesses, rental properties, etc.). Wouldn't really save me any time either, since 75% of the effort is getting all the documents together to do the taxes, and I would still have to do that for an accountant. plus take it all to them.

• Options

@Michaell said:
    As I haven't heard from our CPA since their request for the 1095-SA form a week or so ago, I'll assume that an extension has been filed and it will get completed in the next couple of weeks .... just like last year.

Hoping the check(s) we write won't be quite as large, as the personal income went down significantly, and the business had about 60% of the net income in 2023 that we had in 2022.

1099-SA I hope you mean.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,667

@laurasdada said:

————————————————-
    I never tried that one. Maybe next year. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,196
    mjfloyd1 said:

I think Genesis should come out with a new SUV

The Genesis Abacab😂

I thought the Abacab would be a pickup.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    edited April 14

@stickguy said:
    HR block (taxcut) for me. Only time I ever dealt with an accountant was when I was executor for my sister's estate. But he was a friend of hers and didn't even charge us.

I see no reason to pay to have it done since I don't have anything exotic going on (weird investments, businesses, rental properties, etc.). Wouldn't really save me any time either, since 75% of the effort is getting all the documents together to do the taxes, and I would still have to do that for an accountant. plus take it all to them.

One of the things my decades of experience have taught me is to have conversations with my clients and I have found deductions and credits that they haven't thought about. one year I got someone a few thousand extra because they didn't know that they could claim their sister and niece as a dependent.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@laurasdada said:

————————————————-
    I never tried that one. Maybe next year. :/

jmonroe

I’ve tried that and I don’t recommend it.😓

• Options

@stickguy said:

One of the things my decades of experience have taught me is to have conversations with my clients and I have found deductions and credits that they haven't thought about. one year I got someone a few thousand extra because they didn't know that they could claim their sister and niece as a dependent.

My sister works for the IRS so not thinking I would get away with that. About the only thing I ever got to take as a credit (once my kids were out of college) was one of the energy upgrades (new windows or some such). Software asks all kinds of questions to see if I might get something, but sadly I always have to answer no.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    My sister works for the IRS so not thinking I would get away with that. About the only thing I ever got to take as a credit (once my kids were out of college) was one of the energy upgrades (new windows or some such). Software asks all kinds of questions to see if I might get something, but sadly I always have to answer no.

Well in that case they were living with my client and my client was providing almost all of their support so it was legit.

• Options
    stickguy said:

@stickguy said:

————————————————
    There’s your problem. When I’m given a choice I say yes. I know I’m pushing it when I get a few pop-ups that say something like, “this is not typical for your income/tax bracket, do you want to continue”? Of course my answer is, YES.

jmonroe
  • Options
    I'm not as old as you. a stretch in the slammer would hurt me.

• Options
    stickguy said:

————————————————
    Hell, at my age a stretch in the slammer would kill me. If caught I could always throw myself on the mercy of the court. The IRS is tough but I don’t think they’re totally heartless.

jmonroe
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,994

@snakeweasel said:

@stickguy said:

Well in that case they were living with my client and my client was providing almost all of their support so it was legit.

I wish I could claim my Mother lol. She doesn’t pay rent or anything

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

@Michaell said:

1099-SA I hope you mean.

Yeah, that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@stickguy said:

————————————————-
    You’re a chump. We’re talking money here. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited April 14

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@stickguy said:

Is she living with you and do you pay more than half of her support? if yes than you can claim her if no one else is claiming her.

• Options

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@stickguy said:

Is she living with you and do you pay more than half of her support? if yes than you can claim her if no one else is claiming her.

————————————————
    Too late. I’ll claim her.

jmonroe
  • Options
    I assume she claims herself?

Charge her rent. Take that SS check and give her a pin money allowance!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,496

I always have my accountant take care of my return as it is a little on the complicated side. I live in CT, I work in NY, & my wife works in CT. Then we have a significant amount of deductions we take such as property taxes, child care, & out of pocket medical expenses. Plus last year’s tax preparation fees are deductible on this year’s taxes. My accountant also does my business tax returns and lets us know how to better prepare for next year.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

@nyccarguy said:
    I always have my accountant take care of my return as it is a little on the complicated side. I live in CT, I work in NY, & my wife works in CT. Then we have a significant amount of deductions we take such as property taxes, child care, & out of pocket medical expenses. Plus last year’s tax preparation fees are deductible on this year’s taxes. My accountant also does my business tax returns and lets us know how to better prepare for next year.

Exactly. We’ve gotten to know our accountant pretty well over the years. She wants us to pay our taxes quarterly but it works better for us to pay them in the spring, due to cash flow.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    Hell, at my age a stretch in the slammer would kill me. If caught I could always throw myself on the mercy of the court. The IRS is tough but I don’t think they’re totally heartless.

jmonroe
    You could claim you were senile and didn’t know what you were doing.🥴

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    Actually, they are.

• Options

@stickguy said:

Is your client looking to adopt an elderly gentleman? I've really grown weary of supporting myself.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    You could claim you were senile and didn’t know what you were doing.🥴
    "Claim."

• Options

Nice looking.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I thought this was cool. The guy who did our kitchen asked if it was ok to post the results to promote his business. I said sure and this is what he created

JS Cabinet Refinishing on Google:
    https://posts.gle/Awv7sP

————————————————
    Looks very nice. I’m sure Mrs. @tjc78 likes it too.

When the realtor listed our last flip she told my Son that she was thinking about doing that but felt it wouldn’t have been worth the extra money to do that because she was sure the house would sell quickly without that added cost. Fortunately she was right, the house sold the first day.

jmonroe
  • Options
    saw an interesting thing today. I took another truckload of stuff over to the storage unit I rented (to hide the excess stuff that needs to go away for when we list the house) and when I drove down the aisle (unit I got is in the far back) there was an Accord parked along the building in front of a garage unit. Not unloading, it was up on ramps and jack stands with the front wheel off, and some guy had a bunch of tools out. Looked like he was doing brakes or an axle. And appeared to have a garage full of tools in the unit. Based on how much of it was apart looked like an all day project.

I was surprised that they let people do that.

• Options

@laurasdada said:
    Is your client looking to adopt an elderly gentleman? I've really grown weary of supporting myself.

If she was I would volunteer.