Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,181
    edited January 2016
    When the forum mentioned TV brands of days gone by, I asked which one had the
    halo around the picture tube.

Sylvania was the company advertising the "halo" television in the '50s.

http://www.tvlamps.net/ambient.html

For a trip down memory lane or a history lesson for the youthful among us who don't remember
    the good old days....,

http://hepcatrestorations.com/tag/retro-television/

Even has a picture of a classic car among the talk about characteristics of some old TV's,
    even includes a 'portable' TV.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    dino001 said:

Good piece, Driver. There is only one caveat. You have to be diversified and ready to make changes, if necessary. Indexes are being constantly updated, companies kicked out and added. I think thebe is only one original Dow component left (GE). This means, if you see changes in the economy, companies emerging and dying, you have to adapt, just like the index people. But probably at similar pace as they do.

Good point dino...you would have to update your holdings, or, even easier buy a low cost index fund and they will adjust automatically.

The article really shows how we should not panic, and you have to look at the longer term. Don't buy fad stuff, like gold or oil in large amounts.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,352
    abacomike said:

Was out for dinner on Tuesday evening where the drinks were on the house - whatever you wanted to drink, they brought it to you.  So I ordered a double Jack Daniels Century Limited "neat".  Unbelievable!  That whiskey sells for about $400 a bottle.  One of the best Tennessee Sippin' Whiskeys I've ever tasted - 100 proof.

Last summer I went to my nephews wedding and at the reception I tried to order some whiskey neat and they told me they couldn't serve it that way. I could have it on the rocks, with water or mixed but not neat.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Just heard a short ad on TV for a used car dealer. All they said was you can buy this 2008 (I believe it was an Optima or Infinity) car with a credit score of 416.

I don't know what that score means, but, I thought it was odd there is no mention about actual price or condition of the car.

It is a family run dealership and they get excellent reviews on all the review sites.

A credit score of 416 means the police are outside your house right now getting ready to take you to debtor's prison.

You can buy a 2015 new Rolls Royce Phantom with a 416 FICO score - so long as you pay "CASH"!  ;)

Or don't mind paying a 125% interest rate.

• Options
    imidazol97"
    For a trip down memory lane or a history lesson for the youthful among us who don't remember the good old days....,blockquote>

The TV's I always found odd were like these Philco's...I think Sylvania had one too

These were like the first component TV's....all new ideas are old!

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

abacomike said:

Was out for dinner on Tuesday evening where the drinks were on the house - whatever you wanted to drink, they brought it to you.  So I ordered a double Jack Daniels Century Limited "neat".  Unbelievable!  That whiskey sells for about $400 a bottle.  One of the best Tennessee Sippin' Whiskeys I've ever tasted - 100 proof.

Last summer I went to my nephews wedding and at the reception I tried to order some whiskey neat and they told me they couldn't serve it that way. I could have it on the rocks, with water or mixed but not neat.
    Must have been a darn "messy" wedding reception! :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Just heard a short ad on TV for a used car dealer. All they said was you can buy this 2008 (I believe it was an Optima or Infinity) car with a credit score of 416.

I don't know what that score means, but, I thought it was odd there is no mention about actual price or condition of the car.

It is a family run dealership and they get excellent reviews on all the review sites.

A credit score of 416 means the police are outside your house right now getting ready to take you to debtor's prison.

You can buy a 2015 new Rolls Royce Phantom with a 416 FICO score - so long as you pay "CASH"!  ;)
    Or don't mind paying a 125% interest rate.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other! ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

When the forum mentioned TV brands of days gone by, I asked which one had the
    halo around the picture tube.

Sylvania was the company advertising the "halo" television in the '50s.

http://www.tvlamps.net/ambient.html

For a trip down memory lane or a history lesson for the youthful among us who don't remember
    the good old days....,

http://hepcatrestorations.com/tag/retro-television/

Even has a picture of a classic car among the talk about characteristics of some old TV's,
    even includes a 'portable' TV.

We had one of those Sylvania "Halo" TV's. We found that it was better viewing if you turned off the "halo" setting - the additional light from the halo made it difficult to see the picture tube clearly. It was just a "gimmich" to entice you to buy the "top of the line" TV.

We had the first RCA color TV. It was a huge box with a huge screen that we had to place on a table. Very heavy and bulky. I remember we had to constantly "re-tune" the TV for each and every station. CBS's color broadcasts were greener and browner than NBC's broadcasts. NBC had the best color picture of them all.

I remember vividly watching one of the first CBS televised color shows, The Red Skelton Show. Another was the Ed Sullivan Show. NBC's Dinah Shore Show, The Bob Hope Show, and The Howdy Doody Show had the best looking color pictures.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,439
    On another board I frequent there is a poor fool claiming he was "the victim of the spot delivery scam." As it turns out, said "victim" has a two year old Mazda 3 but wanted a new Accord. The problem is that he has a 574 FICO score and needed his grandfather to co-sign to get the Mazda loan. This time he doesn't want a co-signer and doesn't want to putt much money down. He's ticked that the dealer can't find a low interest and needs more money down. He expected sympathy from the other forum members, but he received zero.

Moron.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    On another board I frequent there is a poor fool claiming he was "the victim of the spot delivery scam." As it turns out, said "victim" has a two year old Mazda 3 but wanted a new Accord. The problem is that he has a 574 FICO score and needed his grandfather to co-sign to get the Mazda loan. This time he doesn't want a co-signer and doesn't want to putt much money down. He's ticked that the dealer can't find a low interest and needs more money down. He expected sympathy from the other forum members, but he received zero. Moron.
    Someone with a 574 FICO score usually has a bankruptcy or many, many late or missed payments and possibly a repo.  When I was in the car business, it was almost impossible to finance a customer with a 574 FICO score unless the customer put down 50% and was willing to accept a 7 points above prime interest rate.

My son needed a consigner for his purchase of a used 2012 Hyundai Sonata last year, but they would not accept an out of state consigner.  He had a bankruptcy back in 2010.  But the Hyundai dealer was able to get him a 7.5% rate with $5000 down.  He is doing much better now and is paying off the loan by making 2 full payments each month.  I am proud that he is getting himself financially "repaired".  His FICO score was 610, now it's 670.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221
    We had one of the very first remote control TV's in the early 60's.  My father would sit in his recliner and when he wanted to see another show, he would yell for me to come and change the channel.  Sonetimes, this was combined with a command to bring him a beer also.  I was very talented in those days.  For awhile, I had to perform the channel changing function with a pair of pliers when the knob fell off.  Man, I was glad we only had 4 channels.  My hand would have really been sore if we would have had 200 channels!

When you tell a kid about this today, they don't believe you.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    abacomike said:

suydam said:

i prefer to get my electronics and appliances from our local store. They're competitive on price, and they service everything they sell. They have major brands with up to date technology. I'm not a fan of Lowes or Home Depot for many of the reasons you all have listed.

Around here, we don't have very many "mom and pop" appliance stores - but I agree with you, they are more responsive than most of the major outlets.  

I will soon be needing a "stacked" washer/dryer combo made specifically for Condos (fits in my laundry closet).  I know Sears carries them as does HHGregg.  I've had some bad experiences with Sears, but what about HHGregg?

The GE combo  I have has lasted 26 years with not one repair or adjustment needed.  Admittedly, it does not get abused as I only do 12 washes a month - 4 linen washes, 4 towel/dishcloth/washcloth washes and 4 shirt/shorts/underwear washes. But it is getting to the point that a change is needed.

Any recommendations?

Those stacked washers and dryers are EXPENSIVE and it's because they are only made by one or two companies! We found that our recently!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I will soon be needing a "stacked" washer/dryer combo made specifically for Condos (fits in my laundry closet).  I know Sears carries them as does HHGregg.  I've had some bad experiences with Sears, but what about HHGregg?

The GE combo  I have has lasted 26 years with not one repair or adjustment needed.  Admittedly, it does not get abused as

Those stacked washers and dryers are EXPENSIVE and it's because they are only made by one or two companies! We found that our recently!

Whirlpool --Lowes

Purchase.

They're having good sales now and into the near future. I know. We just bought 4 kitchen appliances
    today at our local Lowes: all Whirlpool. Wife got whichever ones she liked appearance for
    except dishwasher where picked a higher-priced Stainless model because it has a handle on
    it instead of a recessed pull.

Got 10% by opening a Lowes charge card account (reopening old one from years ago) on top
    of the sale prices.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_562006-46-WET4027EW_1z10ad4__?productId=50414750&pl=1

Landlord put in a Whirlpool in the apartment my son had at OSU during summer after he had moved away.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,171
    driver100 said:

The TV's I always found odd were like these Philco's...I think Sylvania had one too

These were like the first component TV's....all new ideas are old!

Those were called Philco "Predicta" TVs. Problem-prone sets even when new.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,027
    andres3 said:
    I've seen some of the reports on Cadillac in general. As everyone knows, I've had my own share of grief from the brand. I don't consider any of what I read as GM bashing. However, I can say unequivocally, the materials and build quality used in today's Cadillac is 2nd to none. All of it is first rate....and I've owned and/or test driven some of the most revered brands in the industry over the past few years. Cadillac's build and material quality gives up nothing to them. Even performance is as good or better, depending on the price point. It's some of the not quite ready for prime time engineering that needs work. And, as far as I can tell, their entire franchise structure needs a significant overhaul. For example, CUE is a good idea that lost out in its implementation. It took Cadillac two model years to get all the bugs out. That's unacceptable in a $20K car, let a lone a $65K car. Current version of CUE? State-of-the-Art, tops in class. You can't tell me in 2012 or 2013, whenever Cadillac was doing development for the 2014 version of CUE that they tested it and said "yep, that works just grand". If they did say that, they should be fired. Can't continue to do that and expect sales volumes to climb. That fact can't be that hard to comprehend. Yet, for Cadillac, seems like it is.
    I don't think Cadillac competes on value price wise when you look at performance if you look at the sticker prices. Now if you say the real world transaction prices are much lower thanks to massive rebates and GM's known tendency to dramatically overprice their product into account, then maybe. But if you are solely comparing stickers, I don't think they compete very well. Maybe my data is outdated, but what kind of 0-60 times and HP can I get at Cadillac these days for $50K?
    If I'm reading correctly, talking sticker price, I guess you'd look at an ATS 3.6 with 333 hp and 0-60 in the low 5-sec range. I could not find solid data on acceleration because the 3.6 is a new 3.6 for 2016 with better power and efficiency than the 2015.

as you said, incentives are where its at. I paid $49k for my CTS V sport with 430hp and 0-60 in 4.5, with a 174mph top speed, I might add (only because so many other companies are capping their performance sedans at 155).
    I thinks my car is limited to that speed. Let's take both of ours out on the highway and I'll drop out at 155 and you keep going.
    The highway?! OF, you are certainly old enough to know better than that! Only on the track, my friend.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    A fellow put a replacement engine in his 1930 Chevrolet after rebuilding the heads with valves to tolerate the unleaded fuel. What engine oil should he use was his question. Interesting.

Were engine oils essentially 10 weight without detergents? His engine has no oil filter. In the
    old days, oil was changed every 1000 miles.

The "auto guy" on the call in show said to use 10W-40.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So did he rebuild and reseal the entire engine or just the head?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A fellow put a replacement engine in his 1930 Chevrolet after rebuilding the heads with valves to tolerate the unleaded fuel. What engine oil should he use was his question. Interesting. Were engine oils essentially 10 weight without detergents? His engine has no oil filter. In the old days, oil was changed every 1000 miles. The "auto guy" on the call in show said to use 10W-40.
    What has always amazed me is the interval for oil changes in the BMW's and Mercedes-Benz automobiles.  Since I do not drive 10,000 miles a year, the maintenance manual states the oil and filter are to be changed every 12 months.  That is the A Service.  If I drive more than 10,000 miles, the oil/filter is changed at 10,000 miles.

The computer in my car measures oil usage and viscosity.  It tells me on my alert screen how many days or how many miles to the next A or B Service.

I just don't know how an engine can run 12 months without an oil change.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,754
    12 months is no big deal. But 12,000 miles, like BMW will stretch it, seems crazy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2016
    Doesn't to me - after the warranty expired I usually did 8 to 10,000 mile intervals (or more) on my Quest. Sold it with 200,000 miles but I'm sure the kid is still driving it between Wisconsin and the UP.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,782
    edited January 2016
    thebean said:

We had one of the very first remote control TV's in the early 60's.  My father would sit in his recliner and when he wanted to see another show, he would yell for me to come and change the channel.  Sonetimes, this was combined with a command to bring him a beer also.  I was very talented in those days.  For awhile, I had to perform the channel changing function with a pair of pliers when the knob fell off.  Man, I was glad we only had 4 channels.  My hand would have really been sore if we would have had 200 channels!

You had the pliers channel changer too? On our set the contacts were screwed up so we needed the weight of an a adjustable wrench to pull the dial into alignment.

As an aside I keep hearing an advertisement for a local used car lot that says lifetime warranty on all their used cars. They say "if your engine breaks in the year 2030 we fix it free". They also offer free oil changes and inspections.

Wonder how they do that? Is this just a sneaky way to force an extra cost warranty on top of the car's price? Probably a list of conditions as long as your arm.

If it's legit that's one heck of a benefit.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,782
    abacomike said:

A fellow put a replacement engine in his 1930 Chevrolet after rebuilding the heads with valves to tolerate the unleaded fuel. What engine oil should he use was his question. Interesting.

Were engine oils essentially 10 weight without detergents? His engine has no oil filter. In the
    old days, oil was changed every 1000 miles.

The "auto guy" on the call in show said to use 10W-40.

What has always amazed me is the interval for oil changes in the BMW's and Mercedes-Benz automobiles.  Since I do not drive 10,000 miles a year, the maintenance manual states the oil and filter are to be changed every 12 months.  That is the A Service.  If I drive more than 10,000 miles, the oil/filter is changed at 10,000 miles.

The computer in my car measures oil usage and viscosity.  It tells me on my alert screen how many days or how many miles to the next A or B Service.

I just don't know how an engine can run 12 months without an oil change.

Maybe if it isn't run at all. Had the Ford's oil changed at 3000 just before it went to bed. I think it was at 74%. (Synthetic) might drive it enough to change once a year

The Lincoln gets about 5000 miles before the indicator says 10%. (Synthetic) change it about twice a year.

The others get get it once a year or every 3000 (conventional)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @oldfarmer50:

Driver said I won an oil change from him for guessing what year the Mercury Monterey added the reverse tilt sliding rear window.  So maybe I'll change my oil after 6 months this year.  It's been so long since I've had an oil change on a car that I forget what I have to do - I guess just drive it to the Mercedes Dealer, huh!  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    pretty simple. your new car comes with new oil. so, but trading in, you have in fact changed the oil.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    pretty simple. your new car comes with new oil. so, but trading in, you have in fact changed the oil.
    You have a point, stick!  ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

thebean said:

You had the pliers channel changer too? On our set the contacts were screwed up so we needed the weight of an a adjustable wrench to pull the dial into alignment.

As an aside I keep hearing an advertisement for a local used car lot that says lifetime warranty on all their used cars. They say "if your engine breaks in the year 2030 we fix it free". They also offer free oil changes and inspections.

Wonder how they do that? Is this just a sneaky way to force an extra cost warranty on top of the car's price? Probably a list of conditions as long as your arm.

The ones I have seen only pay out if the repair cost is less than the average value of the vehicle. So if your 10 year old Focus with 175K miles is worth $1,200 and it needs a new transmission at $1,500 your SOL.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    abacomike said:

@oldfarmer50:

Driver said I won an oil change from him for guessing what year the Mercury Monterey added the reverse tilt sliding rear window.  So maybe I'll change my oil after 6 months this year.  It's been so long since I've had an oil change on a car that I forget what I have to do - I guess just drive it to the Mercedes Dealer, huh!  B)

The prize was for the stipulated number of miles, 12000 or one year. And that was for your last car....I knew you wouldn't keep it for 12k miles or one year. :p

• Options
    stickguy said:

As long as I don't have to pay for the new car. :'(

• Options
    driver100 said:
    @oldfarmer50:

The prize was for the stipulated number of miles, 12000 or one year. And that was for your last car....I knew you wouldn't keep it for 12k miles or one year.
    Oh, you gave me a prize with "fine print" stipulations.  I knew I should have gotten a lawyer!  :(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Need vs Want OK - I have no need for a new car, both cars in the fleet are low miles and in great shape, and I ride in a vanpool 4 of 5 days a week and usually work from home on that 5th day....

That said I am wanting something new and fun. Part of me want a 2016 Convertible Camaro - V8 of course! Part of me wants the new 2017 Ford Raptor...Living in Western Washington the Raptor could be a lot of fun for exploring any part of the state, and the Camaro could be lots of fun 6-7 month of the year, it does not get too hot up here to put the top down.

Sigh....I guess this is more of a first world problem. I should simply enjoy what I have. B)
  • Options
    murphydog said:
    Need vs Want OK - I have no need for a new car, both cars in the fleet are low miles and in great shape, and I ride in a vanpool 4 of 5 days a week and usually work from home on that 5th day.... That said I am wanting something new and fun. Part of me want a 2016 Convertible Camaro - V8 of course! Part of me wants the new 2017 Ford Raptor...Living in Western Washington the Raptor could be a lot of fun for exploring any part of the state, and the Camaro could be lots of fun 6-7 month of the year, it does not get too hot up here to put the top down. Sigh....I guess this is more of a first world problem. I should simply enjoy what I have. B)
    I like the V8 Camaro Convertible, though.  Ever thought of a V8 Mustang GT soft-top?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,160
    murphydog said:

Need vs Want OK - I have no need for a new car, both cars in the fleet are low miles and in great shape, and I ride in a vanpool 4 of 5 days a week and usually work from home on that 5th day....

That said I am wanting something new and fun. Part of me want a 2016 Convertible Camaro - V8 of course! Part of me wants the new 2017 Ford Raptor...Living in Western Washington the Raptor could be a lot of fun for exploring any part of the state, and the Camaro could be lots of fun 6-7 month of the year, it does not get too hot up here to put the top down.

Sigh....I guess this is more of a first world problem. I should simply enjoy what I have. B)

There are a lot of Raptors here in Colorado. Not sure how many of them make it off road. I think it would a great choice for where you live. Assuming you can afford the gas.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Here we go again.  Tornado warnings just announced for my area along with 60-80 mph winds and torrential rains from heavy thunderstorms.  I never remember a winter like this.  This is the third destructive storm system to hit us in two weeks.  

We are already 13 inches above normal for rainfall.  I hope our trees can handle the heavy winds.  :s

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,171
    edited January 2016
    abacomike said:

Here we go again.  Tornado warnings just announced for my area along with 60-80 mph winds and torrential rains from heavy thunderstorms.  I never remember a winter like this.  This is the third destructive storm system to hit us in two weeks.  

We are already 13 inches above normal for rainfall.  I hope our trees can handle the heavy winds.  :s

Have any tornadoes actually been confirmed? It could be just more of the weather hype or alarmist media reporting that is far more prevalent these days.

At least you just got rain. We got a foot of snow here yesterday and the forecasters totally blew it again, saying it would be a quick-moving system with rain or a little freezing rain here. There was a short period with a bit of ice pellet activity but them the thing turned to snow and it kept snowing for 12 hours, a good part of it sideways thanks to strong, cold north winds. We either don't pay enough for our weather forecasting services, or are paying way too much, not sure which. They seldom seem to get it correct. Yesterday was unusual in that they missed it totally until just before it happened.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Happens here too. Last week they predicted less than an inch, we got 5. Usually it goes the other way -- they predict apocalyptic proportions of snow and we get a dusting.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Have any tornadoes actually been confirmed? It could be just more of the weather hype or alarmist media reporting that is far more prevalent these days. At least you just got rain. We got a foot of snow here yesterday and the forecasters totally blew it again, saying it would be a quick-moving system with rain or a little freezing rain here. There was a short period with a bit of ice pellet activity but them the thing turned to snow and it kept snowing for 12 hours, a good part of it sideways thanks to strong, cold north winds. We either don't pay enough for our weather forecasting services, or are paying way too much, not sure which. They seldom seem to get it correct. Yesterday was unusual in that they missed it totally until just before it happened.
    Yes, ab, as the storm front crossed Ft. Myers and Naples (90 miles west of us) on its way to us, several tornadoes touched down taking off roofs and downing trees and power lines.  As it crossed Palm Beach County, one was reported on the ground just south of Lake Okeechobee.

As it crossed northern Broward County (where I live) we got some strong winds and heavy downpours, but not as bad as they forecasted.

There's another front expected next week. Usually we do not get these kinds of storms in winter, but this El Niño effect is the culprit all over North America.
     :o 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

We have strong winds out there right now. A tornado went by and killed two people about 40 miles south east of here. It rained really hard last night......lots of lightening and thunder. The golf course next to us has new ponds.
    It is so pleasant here most of the time, but, the weather can get pretty wild at times. :s

• Options
    We were driving yesterday evening and we both noticed a Dodge Charger's rear lights....I vote them best rear lights around. Surprised they would make rear lights so sexy (I believe they are sequential too)

Then saw a Dodge Dart and they were nice too!

• Options
    I would not want to be stuck behind that car at night!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    driver100 said:

We were driving yesterday evening and we both noticed a Dodge Charger's rear lights....I vote them best rear lights around. Surprised they would make rear lights so sexy (I believe they are sequential too)

Then saw a Dodge Dart and they were nice too!

They look like they are frowning.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328

thebean said:

I was probably about 10 years old when we got our first tv. I can still remember the first morning after we got it, before the broadcasting day began, watching that Indian Head thing and waiting for the broadcast to begin. I saw a lot of that Indian Head in those days.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    murphydog said:

Worst financial move you could ever make. That said, you only live once, get both of them ! :D

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    you can make that statement (bad financial move) about most anything you do that gives you pleasure. Expensive wine? Waste of money. Vacations? All that money wasted when you just go home again. New HDTV? Not if the old 19" jobber works. Goodwill has perfectly fine clothes too! (this last one no joke, they really do often have high quality unused stuff cheap. Especially in a wealthier area).

always comes down to spending your hard earned money on what you want to, otherwise, why are you bothering to make it?

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    I must have been an anomalie as a child. I don't recall watching much TV.....not even Saturday morning cartoons. If it was warm out, I was outside. If it was cold out, we were playing football, pick up basketball games at a local park, school work, etc.

Once Imgot my driver's license, I was cruising. My sisters were more TV peole than I was.

What my parents did have was a big console tv/stereo set up. Cranked Talking Heads, Cars, George Thourogood, etc out of it!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Everyone dreads running completely out of money. This is a visceral survival instinct I guess.

How many cars does a man need? I'd say at least 4! B)

First you need a comfy family sedan--for family, relatives, out on the town, grocery-getting, transporting children, etc.

Then you need a 4X4 pickup....just because. It can be a crew cab, for ski trips, etc--like the new Ridgeline.

Then you need a "fun" car---a fast and agile droptop or coupe, impractical, loud, scary fast or at least fast enough--2 seater preferred or 2+2 if you have to take the dog.

Then you need a "classic" car of some type, that you won't rely on but you keep around for tinkering, or as a hobby to enjoy with fellow enthusiasts.

• Options
    You are short one. Especially if married. Need a family truckster (SUV or Minivan) for family duty.

• Options
    That's what the crew cab and sedan are for. The Ridgeline seats 5 and has a huge storage bin under the bed as well (and under the rear seats, too). You could even put a hard tonneau over the bed.

Okay, then, we can swap the pickup for a fully off-road-capable SUV.

• Options
    If you've got kids you need to seat 7. You always wind up carrying a friend or two.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    If you have that many kids, get a schoolbus and be done with it :D
  • Options
    Two of you + 3 kids + 2 friends as a carpool. Not exactly the Duggars.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere