Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,007
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

They can last for 20 years if well maintained, and it will always feel good.

But who wants to drive the same car for 20 years?
    We had a 1999 C240 and I wish we still had that car today. They look beautiful and the 4 cylinder Kompressor engine was a blast to drive.

(shown 2000 model - similar)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    stever said:

Woke up two hours ago and it was 45°, 55° now. Our Cruze driving friend really wants a Malibu but is in a bit of sticker shock. I told her she didn't have to load it up $36,000 dollars worth.

How could a 'bu possibly cost $36k???? And why should it? You can get a fully loaded Accord for much less. And the depreciation on some of those Chevys is crazy. My son bought a 2 year old Impala for half the cost of a new one.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2016
    @oldfarmer50, Lincoln needs to up their dealer game. Too many people run into experiences like this owner.

Saw a good looking white Kia Soul yesterday. Turned out to be a Lincoln, a MKT I guess. Not being snarky, it really was a good looking ride.
  • Options
    suydam said:

How could a 'bu possibly cost $36k????

Get a Crystal Red Premier with all the options (don't forget the sunroof) and the MSRP hits $35,950.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Farmer. She is after your money. That school bus driver cash adds up after 40 years. Congrats. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Farmer, that is great. Congrats!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's W 79th St. in New York City, near Central Park, last night:

nyc.jpg 129.3K
  • Options
    Mike, while you are all shriveled up, go test drive a C Class.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options

I would hate to walk out the door and face that !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    No problem. The streets will all be covered in dirty gray slush once they lift the car ban this morning. That car will be completely buried by the plows. He'll have to backhoe his way out.
  • Options
    stever said:

suydam said:

Get a Crystal Red Premier with all the options (don't forget the sunroof) and the MSRP hits $35,950.
    And by the time you add in the Mop n Glo........... ;)

We haven't mentioned that in a long time.

• Options
    houdini1 said:

That's why we go to Florida!

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416

stever said:

Woke up two hours ago and it was 45°, 55° now. Our Cruze driving friend really wants a Malibu but is in a bit of sticker shock. I told her she didn't have to load it up $36,000 dollars worth.

This is looking good to me:

At least in my dreams.

400 horses out of a 3.0L (with the help of twin turbos) is pretty impressive. Do you think Lincoln is setting it's sights on MB? I wonder why they didn't use the Coyote engine tuned for the Continental like they did with the old 4.6L that Ford and Lincoln shared.

I'm figuring a $70k price tag.
    Maybe when I'm 95... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Well that'll be underwater pretty soon, so you might have to go visit Steve in New Mexico!
  • Options

"It was 43 out"

It was 9 when we went out this morning but sunny and NO SNOW! It feels good to say that.

Taking my wife out to dinner today to celebrate our 40th. Still don't know what she sees in me.

Congrats on an amazing milestone! What are you going to drive to dinner? 'Stang?
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    abacomike said:

I decided to go out for breakfast this morning - I just didn't feel like making anything at home. As soon as I walked out of my front door, everything "on" and "in" my body shriveled up from the cold. It was 43 degrees out with a hefty wind out of the NNW. I got into my car and immediately put on my heated seats. My tire pressure in all 4 tires was 29 lbs each (yesterday, they were at 34 lbs each). That's how cold it was. It took 10-15 minutes for the engine to reach operating temperature and 15 minutes for the oil temperature to reach normal operating temperature. That was cold. Thank goodness for my heated seats.

Sometimes I think you post this just to taunt us who live up north. Right now it's 31 and feels absolutely great seeing that a week ago it was close to 0.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Dry here in Colorado and yesterday it hit 51 degrees. As soon as I made it home from Orlando my wife and I washed both of the Subies. Winter is always tough for keeping cars clean around here, and when you get a gift like 51 degrees on a Saturday, you jump on it.
  • Options

stever said:

This is looking good to me:

At least in my dreams.

400 horses out of a 3.0L (with the help of twin turbos) is pretty impressive. Do you think Lincoln is setting it's sights on MB? I wonder why they didn't use the Coyote engine tuned for the Continental like they did with the old 4.6L that Ford and Lincoln shared.

I'm figuring a $70k price tag.
    Yeah I was looking at that Continental too, I think Lincoln is trying to get back it's heyday and yes it could be that they have their sights on MB.

It's about time Lincoln woke up.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Aba - you got through Chicago, Miami should be a piece of cake even in the 40's and windy.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    You guys just don't understand what it's like to be wearing shorts and a golf shirt one day with the A/C running in the car and the very next day running the heater in the house and car and wearing jeans and a coat and sweater.

Our bodies down here have much more difficulty adapting to temps below 60 degrees because we live in a greenhouse 97% of the time.  But 43 degrees is a shock to our systems.  Right now it is 51 degrees out.  To us, that's cold - to you it's resort weather.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    houdini1 said:

What makes you think you would be able to get out through the door? ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    houdini1 said:

I have and it's not fun. Last time it took nearly 6 hours to clean up the driveway.

• Options
    Aba - some brandy and a good cigar should get you through it all B)
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Yep. Taunting.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    The negotiations for the blue Audi A4 came to no resolution. The dealer simply wouldn't budge from their $28,500 number, which was over NADA retail, and I wasn't going to compromise on such a high price, so there was no deal made. However, what do we have here?

Mmmm, delicious. Why yes, that is a sport package on that A4. The story is in progress and I may have something to share later in the week. It's looking very good, though, and the story just might come with an interesting twist.
    05.jpg 35.6K
    17.jpg 29.2K
    16.jpg 39.6K
  • Options
    berri said:
    Aba - you got through Chicago, Miami should be a piece of cake even in the 40's and windy.
    No it's not!  That was then - this is now.  I don't have apparel that is suited for this kind of weather.  I own one pair of jeans, two sweaters, two sweatshirts, and a 25 year old leather jacket.  That's it!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

You guys just don't understand what it's like to be wearing shorts and a golf shirt one day with the A/C running in the car and the very next day running the heater in the house and car and wearing jeans and a coat and sweater.

Our bodies down here have much more difficulty adapting to temps below 60 degrees because we live in a greenhouse 97% of the time.  But 43 degrees is a shock to our systems.  Right now it is 51 degrees out.  To us, that's cold - to you it's resort weather.

Heck I live in the Midwest, sometimes its wearing the shorts and have the A/C running at 11AM and have the heater on wearing a sweater at 2PM.

I remember one day I went to down town Chicago. I left my house in the near western burbs with the A/C on in my car, by the time I hit the lake front I had the heater on. The weather didn't change at all that was the difference between the lakefront and a dozen miles inland.

• Options
    ab348 said:

houdini1 said:

In 1967 here in Chicago we had to jump out the window to get out.

• Options
    In 1967 here in Chicago we had to jump out the window to get out.
    I was there in January, 1967, when that blizzard hit.  Couldn't find my car for 3-4 days on the street where I parked it.  Yep, jumping out a window was about the only way you get get out of my apartment in the city.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I used to shovel the roof on my ranch house in Anchorage once or twice a winter. Ladder up, step off. Got a pic somewhere of me standing on top of a light pole in the UP where the lake drifted up every winter. Fun times. ;)

• Options
    I can actually feel for you Aba. When you've lived in different parts of the country, I think your body kind of adjusts. A person can have lived in Florida years back, then return and be overwhelmed by the summer heat and humidity for awhile as well.

I remember the 67 Chicago winter blizzard. Started out with balmy weather, then some tornadoes and boom, huge snow and winds while the temps plummeted. I recall our city had to use some big Cats to dig out some of the drifts before the snowplow trucks could get into some neighborhoods. Fun memory, but that feeling of isolation at the time started driving you up the wall. That beautiful snow doesn't take long changing to ugly, dirty colored muck either. It will melt away in a week or so on the east coast, but it stays planted a long time in the Midwest or upstate New York and New England.
  • Options
    berri said:
    I can actually feel for you Aba. When you've lived in different parts of the country, I think your body kind of adjusts. A person can have lived in Florida years back, then return and be overwhelmed by the summer heat and humidity for awhile as well. I remember the 67 Chicago winter blizzard. Started out with balmy weather, then some tornadoes and boom, huge snow and winds while the temps plummeted. I recall our city had to use some big Cats to dig out some of the drifts before the snowplow trucks could get into some neighborhoods. Fun memory, but that feeling of isolation at the time started driving you up the wall. That beautiful snow doesn't take long changing to ugly, dirty colored muck either. It will melt away in a week or so on the east coast, but it stays planted a long time in the Midwest or upstate New York and New England.
    During the summer of 1966, I had dislocated my knee playing baseball in Chicago.  I had many surgeries and had to fly back to New York City for physical therapy and rehab.  One of my dad's friends had some pull and I was admitted to the Rusk Institute at NYU Medical Center.  I could not walk at the time.

After getting rehab for 5 months I was able to return to Chicago wearing a leg brace.  I had just arrived in Chicago the day before the blizzard.  I drove my 1966 blue Grand Prix from New York City to the near north side of Chicago.  It was 70 degrees in January - I remember it well.  I parked on the street and was staying with a friend in an old walk-up.  No central heat - gas heaters in the livingroom and kitchen - that was it.

Woke up the next morning with 29" of snow on the ground.  Never saw or experienced anything like it.  :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    66 GP - Nice boat. I like those highway cruisers and the GP, like the 300, was a great combo of ride and performance.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,177
    edited January 2016
    The blizzard of 1978 in the Cincinnati area started as a very warm day, upper 70s IIRC, and dropped through the afternoon. Then the rain/snow started. The snow came down rapidly and was fairly warm as it pile up many inches deep. Then it froze. The moisture in the snow turned it into an ice cake. If someone had driven through the mushy snow, their tracks were immortalized in the ice that was left as ruts several inches deep. That made it hard for cars that did start moving days later to navigate some of those streets. It was too cold for salt to work.

I feel sorry for those in the snow belt this time. Thank goodness we didn't get hit, so far.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    berri said:
    66 GP - Nice boat. I like those highway cruisers and the GP, like the 300, was a great combo of ride and performance.
    It wasn't a loaded car - pretty basic - royal blue with a black vinyl roof of course. :D. It had black vinyl interior and red line Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tires.  Had a 389 V8.  Definitely a highway cruiser.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

SALT
    I've been shopping for a '15 or '14 off lease or rental car for my son to replace his Cobalt and I'll take the Cobalt back. So I was checking out a few dealers this morning and was thinking about Oldfarmer not wanting to get his baby's bottom salted by driving it. I almost took our newer Malibu but stayed with the leSabre.

I got salted by a Honda car hauler carrying mostly Accords. His dual wheels whipped up a mess of salt. As he changed lanes and drove in the left lane I could hardly see because of all the salt dust.

I thought about OldFarmer not wanting to get his Mustang's bottom salted. My whole car got salted worse than following a gravel dump truck on and Indiana gravel road.

• Options
    The blizzard of 1978 in the Cincinnati area started as a very warm day, upper 70s IIRC, and dropped through the afternoon. Then the rain/snow started. The snow came down rapidly and was fairly warm as it pile up many inches deep. Then it froze. The moisture in the snow turned it into an ice cake. If someone had driven through the mushy snow, their tracks were immortalized in the ice that was left as ruts several inches deep. That made it hard for cars that did start moving days later to navigate some of those streets. It was too cold for salt to work. I feel sorry for those in the snow belt this time. Thank goodness we didn't get hit, so far. SALT I've been shopping for a '15 or '14 off lease or rental car for my son to replace his Cobalt. So I was checking out a few dealers this morning and was thinking about Oldfarmer not wanting to get his baby's bottom salted by driving it. I almost took our newer Malibu but stayed with the leSabre. I got salted by a Honda car hauler carrying mostly Accords. His dual wheels whipped up a mess of salt.
    That's one thing we don't have here - salt on the roads and badly rusted cars.  The only cars that get rusty down here are the ones parked near the ocean or by Biscayne Bay (Miami).  That's why you see so many 10-15 year old cars down here, especially Marquis's.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,755
    driver100 said:

stever said:

suydam said:

And by the time you add in the Mop n Glo........... ;)

We haven't mentioned that in a long time.
    I think my BIL got talked into that on his new ride. Is Auto Butler the same thing?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tyguy said:

"It was 43 out"

It was 9 when we went out this morning but sunny and NO SNOW! It feels good to say that.

Taking my wife out to dinner today to celebrate our 40th. Still don't know what she sees in me.

Congrats on an amazing milestone! What are you going to drive to dinner? 'Stang?

Nah, the wife's PT with the stupid tire pressure light on. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We had enough to make it pretty outside. Maybe 8" at our house, get about a mile or two towards town and it was down to like 4" or so.

• Options
    Better turn that Pennsylvania Furnace up, Sneakers. :)
  • Options
    PF_Flyer said:
    We had enough to make it pretty outside. Maybe 8" at our house, get about a mile or two towards town and it was down to like 4" or so.
    Beautiful!  ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    we ended up with about 20. Hard to tell with the drifting.

almost got driveway done before wife and I wore out. got about 2/3 of the bottom clear, so plenty of room to get in/out. and most of my side, not that my car is leaving the garage any time soon!

man, this stuff was heavy. Especially the 26" hardpack at the bottom where the plow kicked it all up. That was like breaking up a cement wall.

I am getting way too old for this stuff. Might have to move in with Mike soon! Or buy the darned snow blower I kept holding off on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

SALT
    I've been shopping for a '15 or '14 off lease or rental car for my son to replace his Cobalt and I'll take the Cobalt back. So I was checking out a few dealers this morning and was thinking about Oldfarmer not wanting to get his baby's bottom salted by driving it. I almost took our newer Malibu but stayed with the leSabre.

I got salted by a Honda car hauler carrying mostly Accords. His dual wheels whipped up a mess of salt. As he changed lanes and drove in the left lane I could hardly see because of all the salt dust.

I thought about OldFarmer not wanting to get his Mustang's bottom salted. My whole car got salted worse than following a gravel dump truck on and Indiana gravel road.

It's horrible this winter. In a normal year the salt melts the snow and it mostly runs off the road together. This year they've put down an inch of salt for every little dusting and all roads and parking lots are totally white. So bad that you can actually taste it.

Ran both my wife's car and my winter car through the wash and salt is still literally dripping down the sides. Have to run them again when I get the chance.

• Options
    Please be careful about shoveling. Heart attacks are too common.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,999
    i just got back inside. Went out yesterday afternoon to plow what had fallen already. The top of my driveway and the bottom were both already up to the hood of the tractor. I had to chip away a little at a time, and really no place to put it all. I managed to make enough room for the Rover and Van, which are parked in the garage, to make it out. Back out there this morning and had an additional 3" in the low spots and 12" drifts to re-plow. The Caddy and Volvo, parked at the top of the driveway, may not see the light of day for weeks. I have ordered a mess of new parts for the volvo, so I will have to break it free eventually so I can start work on it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    So, I built a C class on Truecar. Luxury model 2.0 turbo. X drive. Premium 1, back up cam, sat radio. heated seats and steering wheel. Normal moonroof (I think that is standard. did not select pano). Seems to have BLIS. So, what I would consider a "stripper" MB, but that has everything I probably need (though would be nice if it had carplay since I did not add Navi!)

MSRP $46,200. Truecar $42,700. Though it probably doesn't matter, because I would have to special order something like this, since I can guarantee that I would never find one like that at the dealer!

• Options

Thankfully my back gives out before my ticker.

Have now moved on to beer, football and advil.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,542
    stickguy said:
    Thankfully my back gives out before my ticker. Have now moved on to beer, football and advil.
    Go Broncos!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited January 2016
    stickguy said:
    So, I built a C class on Truecar. Luxury model 2.0 turbo. X drive. Premium 1, back up cam, sat radio. heated seats and steering wheel. Normal moonroof (I think that is standard. did not select pano). Seems to have BLIS. So, what I would consider a "stripper" MB, but that has everything I probably need (though would be nice if it had carplay since I did not add Navi!) MSRP $46,200. Truecar $42,700. Though it probably doesn't matter, because I would have to special order something like this, since I can guarantee that I would never find one like that at the dealer!
    If TrueCar says $42,700, you can do better at the dealer.  If you have any fleet discounts like USAA, etc., even less.  Remember, these cars are produced in the US now, so manufacture and delivery are much faster than an E or a CLS which are produced in Germany.

As far as finding the car equipped the way you want and in the color you want, you might recall I mentioned here on this thread that if you buy a car from dealer inventory, you always get a better deal than if you order one or have the dealer trade another dealer for one.  Thus, you can get a car that MSRP's for more for the same price! ;)

2021 Genesis G90