Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155

@stever said:
    My wife has poo-pooed the optional interior lighting that "beats" with the music however.

I assume that lighting that fluctuates with the sound can be turned off. Friends have a Kia Forte Koup'
    with that . Would drive me crazy especially at night.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

Souls are cool and on many levels the revamp is an improvement. Looks aren't one of them. They had the only non-ugly box on the market and IMO ruined it. It's still OK but it's not an improvement.

I'd still go with one of the non-Kia options, though the Soul seems to be their gold mine.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098

I visited the M-B dealer this evening to take a look at this, which was unveiled yesterday and sits in their showroom:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/thenovascotian/1212997-a-car-for-all-seasons

To me it looks rather unattractive in the photos I've seen but I thought perhaps it would come across better in person.

Unfortunately I arrived around 7PM and was greeted with a sign on the door saying that they are closed until Tuesday due to the Labor Day weekend. Ah well, it gave me a chance to wander the lot.

I saw the Diamond Silver color finally, on a 2013 E350 that has appeared on their used lot. It really is a silver blue, much more blue than silver. The car seemed wildly overpriced at $59K. The new brown E350 I mentioned that I saw on my last visit had been moved, and I was surprised to find it unlocked! I did not want to get in it for fear of a security car barreling in to arrest me, but someone dropped the ball on that. This dealer really needs to take a few more chances on color selection for inventory. If you don't want a new car in either silver or black, with a black interior, they have almost nothing for you.

BTW, @laurasdada, they had on their used lot a 2010 XF, black over tan, with only 24,000km (<15K miles) for $29K. Handsome car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

@abacomike said: The CLS is also very, very low with limited headroom, even with the seat down low.

Low roofline, low seats, small narrow windows....looks good but it just doesn't work for me.
    I don't like the feeling of being in a bathtub and trying to look out, especially for a car costing a few bucks.

I liked the looks of the Passat C.C., looks like a mini-Maybach. Could have got a one year old used one for the price of a new Passat. Sat in it, and I got clostraphobia. Not only that, but it is small and uncomfortable....feel like I am lying down in a dentists chair.

The higher the roofline the better. I think a Chrysler 300 would look much nicer if the roof was about 3 or 4 inches higher. It would make it look like a limo instead of a 60s chop car..

Passat C.C.

Imagine a Chryco 300 with a 2 or3 inch higher roofline:

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @ab348‌ said:

"This dealer really needs to take a few more chances on color selection for inventory. If you don't want a new car in either silver or black, with a black interior, they have almost nothing for you."

I feel that the reason there is not much in the way of selection re: E350's is due to the end-of-the-modelyear phenomenon. The dealer I buy my cars from has only 15 E350's remaining in stock compared to 40+ he usually has.

It could also have something to do with the size of the dealership - or number of sales. As an example, my dealer has 8 CLS550's on his inventory - the average dealer has 2 or 3 of them. He also has 15 S Class Sedans and maybe 40+ C Class sedans and coupes in inventory.

His new car lot is half full compared to several months ago.

The new 2015 E sedans are due at dealerships in October but they are still receiving deliveries of 2014's. Production of 2014's is discontinued but they are still shipping 2014's.

I don't know much about Canadian dealerships and what they carry in inventory, but I am sure they can get you most colors and interiors for at least the next few weeks.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

I read in a local paper where this dealer sells 500 cars a year. The gripe I had about colors is related to what they bring in for inventory. This applies to all models, not just E-class cars. They seem to think they are "safe" with that limited selection.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @ab348 said:

"I read in a local paper where this dealer sells 500 cars a year. The gripe I had about colors is related to what they bring in for inventory. This applies to all models, not just E-class cars. They seem to think they are "safe" with that limited selection."

A lot has to do with who is doing the ordering for the dealership. I did all the ordering for our dealership and I used a rule of thumb:

There were usually 8 exterior colors and 3 interior leather interiors. Blue was the least popular based upon our sales so put of 100 cars ordered, I would order them this way:

3 Navy Blues w/beige, gray and black interiors. (1 of each)

6 Red/Maroon, 2 each in the above interiors

10 Black, 3 saddle, 2 gray, 3 beige, 2 black interiors

18 Tan/Beige, 12 beige, 6 black interiors

30 Silver w/ 15 black, 15 gray interiors

30 Gray w/ 15 black, 15 gray interiors

The remainder were ordered using 1 each of the remaining colors.

If a customer wanted some combination I did not have in stock, I would either dealer- trade or pick up something he liked at the port or special order it.

Both driver and I special ordered our cars to get the exact combinations of colors and equipment .

It used to take me 10-15 hours per month doing nothing but sitting fown at the computer and entering orders for cars with varying equipment. Very labor intensive task and I did this every single month.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

This is the interior I want. I wouldn't care if it had a yugo on the outside.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options

@abacomike said:There were usually 8 exterior colors and 3 interior leather interiors.

I tried to find a list of the most popular interior colors ordered. You would think there could be such a list, it would really help you to order cars I would think. Of course, there must be regional differences....white is #1 in the US and world, but it is #6 in Canada. Did you use records or did they calculate colors when you ordered cars?

• Options
    @mako1a said:

"This is the interior I want. I wouldn't care if it had a yugo on the outside."

Awesome interior color. Mercedes has special order interiors called "Designo". There are 7 special leather colors including the one you posted. They charge about $2500 for it plus $250 for the special order.

As much as I would love to have a color like that on my new car, the resale would be significantly affected because the average Joe who buys a used Mercedes would avoid an interior like that unless it was an SLS or SL.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @driver100 said:

"Did you use records or did they calculate colors when you ordered cars?"

I don't quite understand your question, driver. I did my ordering based upon popularity of exterior colors (what we actually sold) and coordinated interiors based upon that same popularity. I would first review what we had in inventory to make sure I did not load up on one or two colors.

Equipping the cars was more difficult. How many Sport models would I order over Luxury models? What about Advanced Technology Packages and upgraded sound systems vs. base cars or stand alone options.

I made mistakes, but dealer trades made up for them. Basic colors and basic equipment kept those mistakes to a minimum.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited August 2014

@abacomike said:

It used to take me 10-15 hours per month doing nothing but sitting fown at the computer and entering orders for cars with varying equipment. Very labor intensive task and I did this every single month.

Well, at this dealer it would take you maybe 10 minutes.

50 cars in black, with black interior.

40 cars in silver, with black interior

10 cars in white, with black interior

• Options
    @ab348 said:

"Well, at this dealer it would take you maybe 10 minutes.

50 cars in black, with black interior.

40 cars in silver, with black interior

10 cars in white, with black interior"

Either that was all that was left in inventory at the end of the month OR the dealer Principal should get someone else to order cars for the dealership.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679

@driver100 said:
    We went on a tour of a Mausoleum the other day...hope that is the right spelling of the word, if not consider it Canadian spelling. Inside you can have a full casket or a little shelf area with an urn inside and room for some memorabilia if you wish. Some people had photos, or jewellery etc. These two brothers were side by side and they each had a model of a Ford F 150 in their display case, one yellow and one red.

I guess they loved cars too. Also saw a Tim Hortons Cup, some little bowling pins, and one display had a little slot machine. I guess these were some of their favorite things.

Just when you thought there was no more ways to waste money.

Never saw the logic in spending big money to build shrines to dead people. I guess some folks have regrets.

As for me I told my wife to roll me into a cardboard box and put me out on the curb for trash pick up. I threatened to come back and haunt her if she spent big bucks planting me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@abacomike said:

fezo‌ .... and everyone else.....

Thanks for the prayers - I just hope he is in a forgiving mood to answer all our prayers for my son. I don't know what I'd do if he took both my children at such young ages. He took my wife at 48 years old.

Mike, no doubt you've been dealt a bad hand in life. In your situation I'd be a basket case for certain. You must be a very strong individual.

You have my respect.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@ab348 said:
    I visited the M-B dealer this evening to take a look at this, which was unveiled yesterday and sits in their showroom:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/thenovascotian/1212997-a-car-for-all-seasons

To me it looks rather unattractive in the photos I've seen but I thought perhaps it would come across better in person.

Looks like it was driven through the mud off road.

"...and I was surprised to find it unlocked! I did not want to get in it for fear of a security car barreling in to arrest me..."

You're kidding, right? There are no crooks in Canada. You folks are so nice the worst that could happen would be that someone would get in there and detail it. :p

• Options

"...Equipping the cars was more difficult. How many Sport models would I order over Luxury models? What about Advanced Technology Packages and upgraded sound systems vs. base cars or stand alone options..."

Most dealerships in my area order cars just one way--- loaded. Tough to get serious when you want a basic model but the lots are loaded with models costing $10k more.

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

@driver100 said:

I was just wondering about something. If a smoker leased a new car, wouldn't they charge you something when you turned it in three years later? After all, didn't you cause more depreciation by smoking in the car?

Richard

• Options

Is it just me or is this wrong?

Just saw a commercial for Dodge Dart where it was suggested that you "register" your Dart like a wedding registry and let others buy it for you.

"Dad can buy the engine for your birthday". "Grandma, the wheels" and so on.

While as a marketing ploy it's brilliant, what does it say about the entitlement mentality of the younger generation?

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Watching Fast & Loud and they bought a 1984 Seville. They all trashed talked it during the show and just dumped it on the internet but I kind if like that quirky style. Their's was blue but looked like this:

http://images.freerevs.com/gallery/56703513.jpg

Sure it wasn't anything special, even in it's day but I like the weird look.

I always loved the 1984 Seville. The styling had a touch of RR in it. Classy car.

Richard

• Options
    @sterlingdog said:

"I was just wondering about something. If a smoker leased a new car, wouldn't they charge you something when you turned it in three years later? "

Leasing companies, banks (that lease cars), and the leasing arm of automobile manufacturers all use 3rd party inspectors who come out to the dealership prior to picking up the lease return and go over the vehicle for "excess wear and tear." Dings, paint damage, overage miles as well as interior condition.

An odor of smoke in the interior of the lease return usually resulted in a charge back to the lessee. There are ways to remove most, but not all, smoke residue - but that odor will be there forever. That is considered excess wear and tear.

Even when I used to smoke years ago, I never smoked in my car. Smokers should really refrain from smoking in their cars (leased or owned) because those cars are almost impossible to resell - most are wholesaled and end up thousands of dollars below true wholesale value.

If I appraised a car that had smoke odors in the interior, I deducted 10% of the wholesale value right off the top and always wholesaled those vehicles. I remember several times that I refused to take a car in trade because of heavy cigar smoke in the cabin. Those cars were the very worst and it is almost impossible to remove cigar smoke from the car's interior.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@abacomike said:"Did you use records or did they calculate colors when you ordered cars?"

Just to be clearer.....Wouldn't you have computer records to give you some idea of the most popular colors and equipment most people want? For example, if 40% of the cars sold at your dealership were silver with black interior why not keep your inventory at that level?

It sounds like you make an educated guess to decide what colors to buy. When I bought books I could see how well the author sold the previous time, and know how many to order. Most ordering systems these days use past information to make buying more accurate.

Hope that is clearer and I am just curious....seems to be a lot of responsibility for one person who is just more or less making a guess - an educated guess I am sure - but, still a guess.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

@mako1a said:

That interior reminds me of my spanking new 1963 Dodge Dart convertible. The interior was done up nicely in the best quality red vinyl that money could buy. Slant six with push button drive ! Actually a pretty nice car for its day.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited August 2014

Well the Market Basket saga is over for now. T signed the papers on Wednesday and workers reported back to the stores and distribution centers. They say it will take them a week or two to get back to full operation.

Although the family saga would make a great business school case, the future operation of the company would as well. CEO of successful company with no debt returned high profits while paying high wages now has to do the same except with $1 billion in debt. Let's see what happens.

• Options
    edited August 2014

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Just saw a commercial for Dodge Dart where it was suggested that you "register" your Dart like a wedding registry and let others buy it for you.
    "Dad can buy the engine for your birthday". "Grandma, the wheels" and so on.
    While as a marketing ploy it's brilliant, what does it say about the entitlement mentality of the younger generation?

Is it just me or is this wrong?

Make the family feel guilty that you don't have a nice shiny new car and feel that they should buy it for you.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    Just to be clearer.....Wouldn't you have computer records to give you some idea of the most popular colors and equipment most people want? For example, if 40% of the cars sold at your dealership were silver with black interior why not keep your inventory at that level?

I think there is some chicken-and-egg here - if all you brought in for stock were silver/black cars, that is what you would sell the most, because I believe most people buy what is immediately available. God help you if you wanted blue paint with gray leather.

• Options

@mako1a said:

I prefer the Audi SR4, with a flat bottom steering wheel, and the red is a little more subdued;

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@driver100 said:

I think the colors ordered are based on the target population for the car model. Luxury sedans are black - white and silver. Check out the colors for Mustangs and Camaros and Corvettes.

• Options

@sterlingdog said:
    Can't believe that you found those pictures of the John Deere with the matching umbrella! That is soooooooo cool. Thanks!

I appreciate hearing the thanks.

• Options
    @driver100 said:

"It sounds like you make an educated guess to decide what colors to buy."

No, we had archives showing colors, interiors and most popular options. All were in a program we designed,

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited August 2014

@driver100 said:
    Didn't even know there was such an animal. What does it do that a regular normal Mustang won't do?

How do the low ground effects do in a 10-inch snow here in W. Ohio?

It sure is pretty.

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

I see dealers ordering cars much like farmers ordering farm equipment. If a Massey dealer is near, the fields will have red machines. If John Deer is nearby, the fields get green machinery. Same with Kubota Orange. People will buy the nearest, easy to buy vehicle in whatever colors the dealer ordered. It's called taking the path of least resistance.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    edited August 2014

@driver100: That Audi looks more like a black interior with a few red accents. At least the Nissan example is not ashamed to be red.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @ mako1a said:

"People will buy the nearest, easy to buy vehicle in whatever colors the dealer ordered. It's called taking the path of least resistance."

From my experiences in the automobile sales angle, you are pretty much on target with your assessment of color preferences. When a customer enters the showroom, they usually approach exterior/interior color selection as the lesser of two evils - "...we'll take anything you have in inventory so long as it isn't white or black outside and we want a light color on the inside." They do the same thing with options - "...we don't need an upgraded audio system or NAV, but we definitely want Michelin Tires."

Frequently I had to put Michelin's or Goodyears on the car for them, but if the car they liked had NAV and an upgraded audio system, they took the car anyway if the price was right.

Customers were aware, for the most part, that if they selected a car from my existing inventory or one that was at the port ready to be shipped to me, they always got a better deal because I did not have to dealer trade for one they preferred. If I had to dealer trade, I usually had to give up something that was a hot seller at the time and I always had to pay for transportation both ways - costing me $300-$750, depending on how far I had to go to find that car.

I remember one deal where I had to ship a car from Houston to my dealership in Florida at a cost of $1500. At least it was not a dealer trade because we wouldn't ship a car both ways at those costs. I just paid the sending dealer triple net dealer cost.

Sometimes I would see the car I was looking for in transit to the Port of Jacksonville but headed for a dealer in Atlanta. So, if I was able to get the Atlanta dealer to take one of my incoming cars, it cost me nothing since the car would be redirected to me and the same would happen for the car I traded him.

There were always a few dealerships who refused to dealer trade with me - but that always worked out as a disadvantage to them because I was the largest dealership in the country and had access to hundreds of more cars than they did because of my tremendous allocation.

I used to love getting a call from one of those general managers who did not trade cars to me asking me for a red G37 coupe or a loaded M45 and I would tell them NO! They always complained to the zone offices if I refused to send them a car - but when they were reminded of the scores of times I requested cars from them and was refused, they always dropped the complaint.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited August 2014

Even worse than a cigar or cigarette "smoked out" traded in car were the ones with a strong dog odor. A "dog car" can be sickening and there is NOTHING that will remove the smell.

Then there were the trades that had been used as "rolling restaurants" that reeked of sweaty kids, dogs, and food. I once took in an Odyssey that had so many Cheerios under the seats that a family could have lived a month.

And, of course, the people trading in those pig pens "knew" what they were worth!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @isellhondas‌ said:

"And, of course, the people trading in those pig pens "knew" what they were worth!"

What really used to get my goat was the customer who brought his 5 year old trade in, usually with 40,000-50,000 miles on the odometer, and terry cloth seat covers on the front seats. He would brag about the low miles on the car, but when I lifted the seat overs off the seats, the cloth fabric was threadbare and pilled so badly that I would have to either recover all the seats (back seats as well because they were so faded) which would cost me well over $1000 or merely wholesale the trade. Or the owner never used a sunscreen on the front window so the dashboard was totally destroyed.

Down here, you must have a front sunshade to protect against the high UV rays as well as a rear shade. After 2 or 3 years of going unprotected in the sun, dashboards and rear window shelving deteriorate to such an extent that you would need an upholsterer to repair the damage or just wholesale the trade.

99% of the time, I had to wholesale cars like that.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@robr2 said:

Bottom line to that interesting drama: Never mix money and family. Been there, done that.
    As for attorneys, the clock starts ticking the moment that they answer the phone. When we had to sue the evil BIL because he cheated my wife out of farm property, the attorney ended up with half of what my wife got. Was it worth it? Maybe, maybe not. The evil BIL looks like he is about to do it again. Will we sue again? Not! We have enough money to live comfortably and life isn't all about money. You reach a point where peace and calm are so much more appreciated. Life has enough drama without seeking an Oscar.

Richard

• Options

For cigarette odors, the recommended removal is with an ozone generator that breaks down the smell from the tobacco smoke that was deposited. Does that work in cars or does the ozone deteriorate materials in the cars as well?

Another is a spray called IIRC Vamoose. On contact it liberates the odorous part of the oil smoke deposits. It works in apartments and homes. However, it needs to be sprayed on things like drawers and interiors of cabinets. So in a car, those areas would still have cigarette oil deposits.

Long ago, I looked at a Cobalt or Ion that had been a smoker's car. Terrible. I didn't even shut the door because odor was too strong.

• Options

@tyguy said:
    Do you hate or love a particular car brand? Interesting survey summary here:

http://marketwatch.com/story/the-most-hated-car-company-in-america-is-2014-08-26?siteid=yhoof2

I happen to own a brand near the top and a brand near the bottom, Subaru and Dodge, respectively, and I have to agree with the results. In another 6 weeks I should be able to state I own two Subarus, and a few weeks after that, no Dodges.

Acura's last-place result surprised me. I have a feeling Cadillac is dropping as they distance themselves from their past customer base and focus more on performance-oriented vehicles. One thing to keep in mind is the scale of the results. There seems to be little spread in the results with 77/100 for the worst and 86/100 for the best.

You made a good point about the scale---from 77-86---not even a ten point spread. Interesting to see BMW and Cadillac on the least favorite list. As we all know, surveys are surveys and numbers are numbers.

Richard

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    Well, I own the two brands mentioned as having improved the most, Buick and Chevrolet.

I thought about you when I saw the list. Good old GM!

Richard

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited August 2014

@abacomike said:
    @ mako1a said:

From my experiences in the automobile sales angle, you are pretty much on target with your assessment of color preferences. When a customer enters the showroom, they usually approach exterior/interior color selection as the lesser of two evils - "...we'll take anything you have in inventory so long as it isn't white or black outside and we want a light color on the inside."

...and then they leave with a triple black car because it's in stock.

• Options

@abacomike said:
    robr2‌ said:

"Sorry for the long story. I love business dramas."

How interesting! Art often imitates life brings to mind a suggestion - why not take this story - write a book and get the movie rights to it - had to be a best seller as well as a situation comedy on TV. You could make millions!

For those who remember, this could become another Falcon Crest or Dynasty show. :p Loved both of those.

Richard

• Options

@sterlingdog said:
    Richard

There's something wrong in the methodology of that survey relative to the conclusions they are drawing from the information. 4360 randomly-selected car owners who had bought within the last 3 years. As much as some might think I'd believe Honda and BMW and Audi belong in the bottom, I agree that the spread in point scores is too small. Also, I suspect that people who are happy with their purchase of those cars, have held onto them and haven't made a purchase within the last 3 years. That skews the survey.

For the purposes of this survey, is 4 thousand a large enough number for a reasonable confidence level in the results for each broad grouping of cars by manufacturer?

I also want to know how these interviewed folks were selected. I used to be part of a federal government survey about crime (40 years ago). A person would show up about every 6 months and ask a list of questions as to any crimes with which I had observed or by which I was affected in my rural Cincinnati community.

There's something wrong here. It's like the surveys that say "everyone" is unhappy with their local public schools in the US, but then asked about their own local school people are usually satisfied. It's somewhat the same with people's evaluation of how government is operating.

• Options
    edited August 2014

@abacomike said:
    @ mako1a said:

"People will buy the nearest, easy to buy vehicle in whatever colors the dealer ordered. It's called taking the path of least resistance."

From my experiences in the automobile sales angle, you are pretty much on target with your assessment of color preferences. When a customer enters the showroom, they usually approach exterior/interior color selection as the lesser of two evils - "...we'll take anything you have in inventory so long as it isn't white or black outside and we want a light color on the inside." They do the same thing with options - "...we don't need an upgraded audio system or NAV, but we definitely want Michelin Tires."

Frequently I had to put Michelin's or Goodyears on the car for them, but if the car they liked had NAV and an upgraded audio system, they took the car anyway if the price was right.

Customers were aware, for the most part, that if they selected a car from my existing inventory or one that was at the port ready to be shipped to me, they always got a better deal because I did not have to dealer trade for one they preferred. If I had to dealer trade, I usually had to give up something that was a hot seller at the time and I always had to pay for transportation both ways - costing me $300-$750, depending on how far I had to go to find that car.

I remember one deal where I had to ship a car from Houston to my dealership in Florida at a cost of $1500. At least it was not a dealer trade because we wouldn't ship a car both ways at those costs. I just paid the sending dealer triple net dealer cost.

Sometimes I would see the car I was looking for in transit to the Port of Jacksonville but headed for a dealer in Atlanta. So, if I was able to get the Atlanta dealer to take one of my incoming cars, it cost me nothing since the car would be redirected to me and the same would happen for the car I traded him.

So I hear you saying you could do a better deal on an in stock unit over a dealer trade. Makes sense seeing there are extra costs involved with a DT.

What about ordering a car configured to a specific customer's wishes? Assume that you will be taking delivery of a number of other cars at the same time and the customer makes a firm commitment to buy so you had no worry of getting stuck with an oddball car.

Would you have done that deal with the same discounts as an in stock unit?

• Options

@ab348 said:
    I find myself wondering if I am a fool for wanting a more expensive car, never having had one that was priced above $35K Cdn. I find myself daydreaming about a Mercedes E-class, maybe a coupe, maybe a sedan, and maybe even a 550. But I've never owned a car that expensive and I wonder about the issues:

1. I won't be able to garage it. It will have to live outside in the driveway. Not good.
    2. I always look for the parking spot in lots that is closest to where I need to go. Will I now be that guy all by himself at the far end of the lot?
    3. Would having an obviously expensive vehicle attract vandalism from those so inclined?
    4. I know maintenance and any repairs out of warranty will be more expensive. Will that drive me nuts?
    5. Will I be afraid to drive it and have fun using it? Will the prospect of a stone chip be too much to bear?

Any insights?

You're not ready yet because you just listed five ways of talking yourself out of it. When you're ready, you'll list five reasons why you should own one. Take a sheet of paper and draw a vertical line down the middle. List the positives on the left side and the negatives on the right side. If you have more positives, then you're ready to buy. Good luck.

Richard

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    For cigarette odors, the recommended removal is with an ozone generator that breaks down the smell from the tobacco smoke that was deposited. Does that work in cars or does the ozone deteriorate materials in the cars as well?

Another is a spray called IIRC Vamoose. On contact it liberates the odorous part of the oil smoke deposits. It works in apartments and homes. However, it needs to be sprayed on things like drawers and interiors of cabinets. So in a car, those areas would still have cigarette oil deposits.

Long ago, I looked at a Cobalt or Ion that had been a smoker's car. Terrible. I didn't even shut the door because odor was too strong.

My 97 Chrysler was a smoker's and reeked pretty bad. The salesman said they would set off a "bomb" and de stink it. The first one didn't work so they did a second which took out 90%. The remainder faded over time.

Always wondered what they used.

• Options

@imidazol97 said:

This looks Great! The emblem in the middle of the grill is the
    same as my '67 Mustang had. The horizontal accents really
    make it look retro.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ford/mustang/2015/ns/2015_ford_mustang_det_ns_82814_600.jpg

The "older" new Mustangs don't show their age as much as
    other cars when the changes from year-to-year happen. I
    was at a Chick-Fil-A in West Chester today and a black GT
    from several years back was burbling it's way around and to the
    drive throughs. Really got my attention. Maybe I need to
    get a Mustang to bring back my youth...

Your youth is now mental. Don't forget those legs getting in and out of the cute little car.

Richard

• Options

@explorerx4 said:
    My Mustang is Oxford White and my Fusion is Deep Impact Blue. Not sure if black is the only convertible top color.

I've also had convertible tops in tan, navy and white. I had white over a navy body. It was a beautiful combo but the nightmare from hell to keep clean. The tan was over red and the navy was over navy.

Richard

• Options
    @oldfarmer50‌ said:

"What about ordering a car configured to a specific customer's wishes? Assume that you will be taking delivery of a number of other cars at the same time and the customer makes a firm commitment to buy so you had no worry of getting stuck with an oddball car.

Would you have done that deal with the same discounts as an in stock unit?"

NO! From the time I submitted an order to the factory to the time I received it at the dealership, 7-8 weeks would have elapsed. All that time, I still had no sale. Additionally, there was always a trade involved and I would be taking a chance on a downward trend in value - which I would have had to eat. Usually on a SPECIAL ORDERED CAR, I would charge FULL MSRP. If I found a car for the customer at the port that was 95% of what he wanted, I would offer to sell him the car at $100,00 over my net cost just to get the sale on the books before the end of the month. That usually worked out.

Only twice did I have to special order a car and each one was sold at MSRP.

The only reason I did not have to pay extra for the car that I just ordered for delivery in October was because there are no 2015's on dealer lots right now and I was not using a dealer allocation car on the special order.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@abacomike said:
    Well, my son had his blood test done on Wednesday and his second MRI yesterday. No results yet, but he continues to get very tired and has frequent dizzy spells.

I am preparing myself for the worst - but we already know he will be undergoing radiation treatments starting next week sometime. I just pray the tumor has not spread or increased in size and that his white blood cell count goes up.

Everything is in God's hands now. He has accepted his fate and, at least as far as I can ascertain 3000 miles away, is at peace with what may be in the offing.

I am not planning on returning to California in the near future unless he asks me to or it seems appropriate.

You certainly have had the year from hell. You cope very well and I'm proud of you for that. Keep the faith and know that many prayers are being said.

Richard