Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Also the little Chevy Bolt is impressive and is here now. Of course, it, too, relies on subsidies, and without them, doesn't look and feel like a $40,000 car. But then, perhaps the Model 3 won't either.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    abacomike said:

I, on the other hand, am the last of the "Ugly Americans"! 

I'm skeptical.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I, on the other hand, am the last of the "Ugly Americans"! 
    I'm skeptical.
    Thanks, pinhead - appreciated!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Last night, I ate a late dinner at the Italian restaurant.  When driving home. I decided to change my ambient lighting in the car to bright amber on amber.  Awesome!  With my cogniac leather seating and the fact that even the dash lights and monitor lighting ads an amber subtlety, I felt like I was in heaven.  

I tried the the greens and blues and even the reds and yellows, but they were awful compared to that orangy amber on amber.  I feel like I'm an "artist" with my own paintbrush and palette - a kind of Van Gogh, but with nice ears!!!  :p

Not to be a buzzkill but the Mustang had that option as far back as 2005.

Having said that I realize I'd trade mine for yours in a heartbeat.
    But do you get a choice of 64 different shades....the E does?
    Yeah, I believe you do. Mine doesn't have that option so i can't be positive but I remember reading about it and it was a lot.

Oooooohhhhh...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too cool!!!!!!!
    Just get another Mustang.

Only 7 choices....not 64!
    Someone counted 127. :o

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11016

Someone counted 127?

And, came up with:
    18 1 4 3 Chromate Green
    19 1 4 4 Pastel Blue
    20 1 4 5 Eye-Shadow Blue

They all probably have the same number of colors, some break it down a bit more. They all have to use combinations of primary colors.
    Why good sir, I do believe you are jealous of a lowly domestic! B)

You found out, I am jealous a domestic Mustang has a color choice of 127 shades, and my Euro car only has 64....I was ripped off! :@
    Hmm...how long have you been buying German cars ? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    abacomike said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

You found out, I am jealous a domestic Mustang has a color choice of 127 shades, and my Euro car only has 64....I was ripped off! :@

I think M-B can provide a feature that gives 256 colors as part of a $5500 Designo option package. You shouldn't have been so parsimonious. ;)

Such a big word (parsimonious) to communicate that he was "cheap"!   :D

That ain't right either...should have said 'sucker'. :D

jmonroe

• Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

I think M-B can provide a feature that gives 256 colors as part of a $5500 Designo option package. You shouldn't have been so parsimonious. ;)

Ab is much more diplomatic.

Can't accuse me of that. :p

jmonroe

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Ab is much more diplomatic.

Of course he is - he's Canadian!  I, on the other hand, am the last of the "Ugly Americans"!  :D 

No offense intended, driver!

Nah...there are uglier people around. :o

jmonroe

• Options
    driver100 said:

Most people would rather be called parsimonious than cheap....mainly because they don't know what it means. Ot they think it means something like "smart".

That's why I tell it like it is. The truth shouldn't hurt. B)

jmonroe

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Thanks ab.....let's see if oldfarmer can beat that!

If I had known I would have gone for the Designo option, nothing to do with parsimonious.

Besides, probably not available in Canada :(
    Well, for the price of your luxo barge I can buy TWO Mustangs with 127 colors each. That's 254 in total. Pretty close. :D
    OK oldfarmer, you win the greatest number of colors you can get with your interior LED lighting. The thing is, you can only use one color at a time, and once you select your favorite, you will probably never reset it again.

But, I concede, we will award you the prize for the "Most Colorful Interior LED Lighting Puerility Contest".
    Just because he has more colorful lights than you doesn't entitle you to launch into name calling. :@

jmonroe

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    JM, You have used up your 150 word maximum today....even though it took 9 posts to do it!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

If I had known I would have gone for the Designo option, nothing to do with parsimonious.

Well, for the price of your luxo barge I can buy TWO Mustangs with 127 colors each. That's 254 in total. Pretty close. :D
    OK oldfarmer, you win the greatest number of colors you can get with your interior LED lighting. The thing is, you can only use one color at a time, and once you select your favorite, you will probably never reset it again.

But, I concede, we will award you the prize for the "Most Colorful Interior LED Lighting Puerility Contest".
    The only problem with bling type options is that once you show off to all your friends then the novelty is gone and it's a waste of money. Unless you want to cruise the streets and yell to strangers "hey, you wanna see what I got in here?" :s:s:s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

JM, You have used up your 150 word maximum today....even though it took 9 posts to do it!

Don't exaggerate. I did it with only 6 posts. :@

jmonroe

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

The only problem with bling type options is that once you show off to all your friends then the novelty is gone and it's a waste of money. Unless you want to cruise the streets and yell to strangers "hey, you wanna see what I got in here?" :s:s:s

That is true. People love me changing the instrument display....3 options Sport, Progressive and Classic. btw...how many does the Mustang have?
    But, the only one I use is Classic......progressive doesn't have a tac, Sport is too colorful, so once you show it off it is just a show thing.
    When I had the 2008 hardtop convertible people would love watching the roof go into the trunk, but, now it isn't a big deal.
    What I would like to see next is when you open the door to get out the seat propels you out of the car and into a standing position......that would impress me.

• Options
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

Don't exaggerate. I did it with only 6 posts. :@

jmonroe
    That's actually a good rule for you.....150 word or 6 posts max., whichever occurs first.

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    I'm a big fan of "Chasing Classic Cars".  While watching a couple of episodes last night, I noticed that some of the auctioneers used the ol' tobacco auction cadence while others just stated the bids with no babbling between.  I much prefer the calmer approach as it seemed much easier to understand the bids.  Anyone know why the two types of auctioning?  Which one do you prefer?
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

That is true. People love me changing the instrument display....3 options Sport, Progressive and Classic. btw...how many does the Mustang have?
    But, the only one I use is Classic......progressive doesn't have a tac, Sport is too colorful, so once you show it off it is just a show thing.
    When I had the 2008 hardtop convertible people would love watching the roof go into the trunk, but, now it isn't a big deal.
    What I would like to see next is when you open the door to get out the seat propels you out of the car and into a standing position......that would impress me.
    Don't be a copy cat. I said this years ago on SFTSFL but I had it associated to puddle lights (there goes that lights thing again :@ ). Like an arm, with the seat attached, extends out so that if you parked, and then it rained by the time you got back to your car, you wouldn't get your new shoes wet. If you decided to park in a puddle, the arm does not extend, because you would deserve to get your new shoes wet for being such a dope. :@

How far off do you think that option will be now?

jmonroe

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,185
    edited April 2017
    IMNSHO, the S and X, which probably average together around 100K, feel like a 50K car inside. I'd expect the 35K (if any exist at that price point, I'd think 40K would be more realistic) 3 to feel like 20K inside. And it appears to be the same elongated egg design, looks good in front of a cliched modern box house/townhouse I suppose.

Doesn't matter though, to borrow from a beloved reality TV star, Musk could stand in the middle of Atherton and shoot someone, and not lose cult members. Can't wait for the tax incentives to expire.

Also the little Chevy Bolt is impressive and is here now. Of course, it, too, relies on subsidies, and without them, doesn't look and feel like a $40,000 car. But then, perhaps the Model 3 won't either.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes the Model S I drove certainly didn't feel like a $130,000 interior. But then, I feel that way when I hold an $800 cellphone in my hand, too. I have to remember that people aren't buying luxury, they are buying tech.
  • Options
    It's funny that the S uses a lot of switchgear from MB, and certainly doesn't feel any nicer than an E-class inside, maybe even not as nice. I know one is buying the electric motor above all else (fit and finish can also be hilarious, lots of stuff on the web about build quality on these cars), but I don't know if it is apples to apples to a phone. Phones or other electronics don't really have luxury finish variants - you are buying the tech. Cars have luxury and high quality finish variants, but for whatever reason, Tesla hasn't embraced it. I don't see a lot of Tesla buyers, at least around here, as being so cutting edge as to think of a car like a phone. I think plenty of them are the same people who had VCRs and microwaves blinking 12:00 in 1984. and have just found more money in the intervening years, and now want to try the latest trend, or appear to be a futurist.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think my friend's Tesla S is a gorgeous car. He's a very high tech person and the Tesla certainly has a lot of it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I think they also like to show that they care about the planet. Not sure it does that, still need electricity and there is going to be a lot of old batteries around.

• Options
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Don't be a copy cat. I said this years ago on SFTSFL but I had it associated to puddle lights (there goes that lights thing again :@ ). Like an arm, with the seat attached, extends out so that if you parked, and then it rained by the time you got back to your car, you wouldn't get your new shoes wet. :@

How far off do you think that option will be now?

jmonroe

I can see why no one has offered that as an option.......even though it was posted on SFTSFL years ago.
    Sounds like an Acorn Stair Lift for your car.....

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,340
    Driver100, New search for you.
    What sources are used to generate electricity?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited April 2017
    iluvmysephia1 popping in for a job update. Had my first Skype job interview with the Hiring Manager at a large Tucson hospital Friday. Good interview and I might fit in there. Adult and pediatric patient population. They are a 619-bed Hospital, they are the only not-for-profit Hospital in Tucson, Arizona. They have an existing 6-bed Lab and they're building an additional 4-bed Ped's Lab. (hint-hint....work for iluvmysephia1)

Nice interview. Tuesday afternoon I have a regular old-school phone interview with the Hiring Manager at a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital in a small, eastern Washington town of 4,668 people! Talk about job contrasts, eh? This one would just be a 40-mile drive to cross the international border in to Canada. I'd be going back home, gentlemen!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400
    iluvmysephia1 popping in for a job update. Had my first Skype job interview with the Hiring Manager at a large Tucson hospital Friday. Good interview and I might fit in there. Adult and pediatric patient population. They are a 619-bed Hospital, they are the only not-for-profit Hospital in Tucson, Arizona. They have an existing 6-bed Lab and they're building an additional 4-bed Ped's Lab. (hint-hint....work for iluvmysephia1)

Nice interview. Tuesday afternoon I have a regular old-school phone interview with the Hiring Manager at a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital in a small, eastern Washington town of 4,668 people! Talk about job contrasts, eh? This one would just be a 40-mile drive to cross the international border in to Canada. I'd be going back home, gentlemen!
    Sounds like great progress! Keep us posted. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Good luck!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    suydam said:

Good luck!

Plus 1!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I'll keep ya posted. My Boeing-Everett career in Technical Illustration: staying put in Everett, Stanwood and Burlington, WA. 

My Allied Healthcare career: all over the Midwest and Western regions! No doubt, man, I've got Road Fever from Foghat's Rock and Roll album.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited April 2017
    Tucson is an underrated city. The higher elevation makes it a bit more comfortable than Phoenix and it isn't nearly as large or congested. But it will be a big change from KC. A lot less humid in the summer. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Tucson has Eegee's icee drinks, Zia CD/DVD stores, Bookman's book stores, hiking on Mt. Lemmon, rock shows at The Hut and The Rialto Theater and much, much more.

We lived and worked in little 'ole Willcox, AZ, which is only 80 miles east of Tucson, for 3 years and 8 months. Worked one week on and then got one week off. Medical work at Willcox. So when it was time to play, we played in Tucson, oftentimes. We already know what could become our new home town pretty well in advance.

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Good luck, Iluv.....Stone blue, rock and roll will help you through!
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the best  as a result of your Skype interview.  Just wish you could use me as a reference - I'm with you all the way!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    abacomike said:

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the best  as a result of your Skype interview.  Just wish you could use me as a reference - I'm with you all the way!   :)

+1, @iluvmysephia1
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    Best of luck, @iluvmysephia1 - I think I might lean more towards Tucson than Eastern Washington but either would be great to get!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Good luck iluv, would be fun if you ended up back in WA.
  • Options
    Thanks, abacomike. Man, I love how you care! I was voted Most Persevering Student of the 11 students at Rolla(Missouri) Tech Center. Not the straight A student, just the one that never gives up ta earn a 'B' grade. That would be me.

Foghat, who I saw a half dozen times in Seattle in those 70's, is my all-time favorite rock and roll band. Rod "The Bottle" Price on lead and slide guitar, Tony Stevens on the bass, Roger Earl on the drums and Lonesome Dave Peverett on lead vocals and guitar. What a rock and roll band. I see them as the best rock band of all time.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The Tucson interview rocked, basically. Really want to hear what the Manager says from the eastern Washington job. A former Cardiopulmonary Manager lives in Elk, WA, and the tiny town of Colville has one of only two drive-in theaters in Washington state. The other one is in Oak Harbor, WA. I do love my birth state of Washington.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1. Very best wishes iluv....really nice to hear some good positive news on the job front. Keep working hard, you do it not only for the job but because you will benefit from learning, and work is more fun when you throw yourself into it.

• Options
    @iluvmysephia1:

I care about friends who have earned my respect and admiration.  You've earned this because of all your hard work.  This country exists on the backs of people who truly care about their fellow human beings.  That's the major reason I went into teaching.  I love kids - they are so moldable and our hope for the future.  I became a school principal and headmaster because I felt I could influence the lives of thousands of children by training and hiring hundreds, if not thousands of teachers.

One of the reasons I did not last more than 10 years in the car business is because I got sick over the way people got taken to the cleaners by car dealerships.  The more we shout out to the masses about buying cars here on Edmunds, the more those "pearly gates" will open when my time comes.   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

It was easy to find a few....quick search turned a few up immediately. Are you asking because I said electric cars can cause pollution and/or problems too?

Some sources of energy:
    Fossil fuels 67% [coal (41%), oil (5.1%), natural gas (21%)] Renewable energy 16% [mainly hydroelectric (92%), wind (6%), geothermal (1%), and solar (1%)] Nuclear power 13% Other sources 3% (i.e. biofuels, biomass.

Even biomass has it's problems:
    While biomass energy helps to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, it increases other greenhouse gases, including methane. From an environmental standpoint, emissions from a biomass plant are just as harmful as those from fossil fuels. Use of waste from animals and humans also creates undesirable odors.
    Because biomass energy produces methane gas, it requires more land than other types of energy production in order to protect those living near the plant. If the demand for additional biomass exceeds the waste products available, there is the potential for farmers to convert from food crops to biomass crops, which reduces the availability of food. The demand also has the potential to place further demands on already stressed forests

Another problem is that if everyone bought an electric car tomorrow they electric system couldn't handle it....black outs everywhere.

Explorer, just saying, I am not sold on electric cars being the answer, they could be, but, I would need more proof. They thought diesel work.....seems it isn't necessarily so, a bit of a set back.

• Options
    @driver100:

One of the major causes of air pollution is the gas excreted by beef cattle and dairy cows - mainly methane gas.  Go figure!  Maybe that's the reason I eat very little beef and try to stay away from dairy products.   :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @iluvmysephia1, good luck and may you get what you deserve the job you want. B)

jmonroe

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,580
    just make a rule that if you have a plug in car, you have to install enough solar generating capacity to at least cover it. Lots of sunshine just going to waste!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100:

One of the major causes of air pollution is the gas excreted by beef cattle and dairy cows - mainly methane gas.  Go figure!  Maybe that's the reason I eat very little beef and try to stay away from dairy products.   :o

Don't worry, I've got you covered on the beef part. Just had one of my signature grilled steaks for dinner. Too good to describe here. I just don't have enough words for it. And, if I tried, @driver100 would think I was being wordy. So I'll stop now. :(

jmonroe

• Options
    Anyone see the Masters Tournament? That was a classic. Really happy to see Sergio win.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    driver100 said:

It was easy to find a few....quick search turned a few up immediately. Are you asking because I said electric cars can cause pollution and/or problems too?

Some sources of energy:
    Fossil fuels 67% [coal (41%), oil (5.1%), natural gas (21%)] Renewable energy 16% [mainly hydroelectric (92%), wind (6%), geothermal (1%), and solar (1%)] Nuclear power 13% Other sources 3% (i.e. biofuels, biomass.

Even biomass has it's problems:
    While biomass energy helps to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, it increases other greenhouse gases, including methane. From an environmental standpoint, emissions from a biomass plant are just as harmful as those from fossil fuels. Use of waste from animals and humans also creates undesirable odors.
    Because biomass energy produces methane gas, it requires more land than other types of energy production in order to protect those living near the plant. If the demand for additional biomass exceeds the waste products available, there is the potential for farmers to convert from food crops to biomass crops, which reduces the availability of food. The demand also has the potential to place further demands on already stressed forests

Another problem is that if everyone bought an electric car tomorrow they electric system couldn't handle it....black outs everywhere.

Explorer, just saying, I am not sold on electric cars being the answer, they could be, but, I would need more proof. They thought diesel work.....seems it isn't necessarily so, a bit of a set back.
    Hey @explorerx4, you satisfied now? :o

Did you get the word count on that post? :@

jmonroe

• Options
    suydam said:

Anyone see the Masters Tournament? That was a classic. Really happy to see Sergio win.

I saw it and it was a pleasant match to watch. Not like when Greg Norman chocked it away in 1996.

That was tough to watch.

jmonroe

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,580
    great finish. Two guys toe to toe, making shots. Impressive finish.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, Stick. But, the S Class Coupe unattractive? Not to these baby blues... Were you perhaps referring to one of those hunchback "coupe" thingy's that MB is now trying to push?

Looked at Alfas today, beautiful day in Boston area. Actually was able to get in and then kinda "shoot" out of the 4C. Not for me, but the Giulia is intriguing. Only one other customer in the place, when I mentioned to the (attractive) saleslady that I am an automotive risk taker as I currently drive a British car, she said, "I know, I saw you pull into the lot in the pretty Jag..." GG: Trade the Q for a Jag!

Told her I was just window shopping on a lovely day, I do my buying New Year's Eve. She gave me her card, said see you then! Maybe...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,531
    @iluvmysephia1 - let me also add my best wishes to your job search. Having been there less than a year ago, I understand the emotions you're going through.

Looks like you've got a couple of good prospects; I'm sure you'll land the right position for you.

Don't forget you're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4