Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    stickguy said:

do you want a worker with a super fancy new truck? Somebody has to be paying for that!

Didn't say fancy....I'd be wary of that. I did say clean and cared for....not rusting out.
    I did need a demo guy to remove about 1500 sq ft of old shag carpeting once, do you know how dirty and heavy that is? It was in my older brothers apartment which he was leaving. The demo guy showed up in a black Escalade...beautiful condition. None of the carpet went into the Escalade though...it went into the big garbage bin. There's an example of a guy who had a beautiful older Escalade, he obviously looked after it, and he worked his butt off.....that's the kind of worker I like!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@carnaught said:
    @abacomike, with your brother’s visual deficits, was he checked for a retinal detachment? I’m glad that he is doing better though.

The neurologist determined that, based on test results and physical examinations, he sustained a couple of mini-strokes when he coded twice in the OR. His visual problems are beginning to resolve a bit - doctors feel that, with time, full depth perception and acuity should return to normal.

I know he is recovering nicely because his attitude and disposition have improved significantly since I first saw him on Tuesday (we use FaceTime on our Apple smart phones so I can see him in real-time video). Thanks Will for your sincere interest in his recovery.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    tjc78 said:

@explorerx4 said:

I have never had one but lots of people rave about Wawa's sandwiches.

Decent sandwiches and better than most any other chains (other than Primos) but still no where near as good as an independent shop in NJ.

@stickguy

I almost exclusively use Wawa gas. Pricing is usually decent and I’ve never had any problems. Of course then there is my cousin who filled his brand new Silverado 2500 Diesel from Wawa that had unleaded in the diesel tanks. That cost them a pretty penny

You can’t buff that out, can you?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

There are several WaWa’s within a 2 mile radius of where I live. I don’t buy gas from them because they are not listed as TopTier. Since I am a Costco member, I purchase 95% of my gasoline from Costco - and their gas is a TopTier fuel.

Occasionally I will buy gasoline at Marathon which is also TopTier.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566

Just don’t try to buy beer there in PA.
    In my area a lot off folks rave about Sheetz but I don’t know why. Like @tjc78 said, “go to an independent shop if you want a good sandwich”.

There is a sports bar very close to me. If a Philly Cheese Steak from the famous Philly joints is better than what this sports bar has it couldn’t be by much and they really load the sandwich with steak.

I think their price just went up from $12.50 for a 10 inch Philly Cheese Steak sandwich to just under $14.00. That’s another thing I like about that place, rather than cut back and start serving smaller portions they raise their price a little but they don’t do it too often. However, with the way things are today I guess they had to. I can’t tell you how often I go there. Even their breakfasts are very good. No other place around here can touch them. But be prepared for a wait of about 10 minutes and sometimes a little longer. I don’t like that but it’s worth it.

Their pizzas are good too. In fact, they started out moons ago as a pizza shop under a different name. There is always a line waiting for pizza pickup that I have to walk by to get to a table.

Now I made myself hungry.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

Wawa and Quik Chek are the places I stop almost exclusively for gas. I don’t have another choice nearby.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

Ahh Quik Chek… I have to hear all the time how my wife misses them ever since she moved to South Jersey (it’s been 14 years.. she needs to move on).

In all reality I don’t have much choice either. The branded stations are much more expensive and I’d rather take my chances at Wawa than the unbranded stations near me. BJs is close but whenever gas goes up the lines are insane. Last weekend it was at least 50 cars deep.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Lol no… IIRC the bill was nearly 10K. Every inch of the fuel system along with other things had to be either replaced or cleaned. Wawa was pretty good about it. They reviewed the video and saw he used the right nozzle and then checked the tank to confirm there was regular gas in there. They paid quickly. I wonder how many other customers had the same thing happen. I wouldn’t want to be the guy who filled the wrong tank. You can be sure he got charged back!

• Options
    Is this true?
    My neighbor has a Lexus and she stopped to get gas at an indie kind of scuzzy station.
    The pump was barely pumping because it kept stopping as she filled up.
    The pump stopped before she filled it up, so she paid and left.
    Her car was hesitating and cutting out.
    She went into an Auto Zone store and they gave her something that would absorb water in the tank.
    They said that would work since it wasn't a lot of water, just from what is left at the bottom of the stations tanks.
    They told her that even at the best stations some water gets into the tanks, it goes to the bottom, and to try and never buy gasoline when the stations tank is near empty.
    Her car works fine.
    A major gas station back home had water in the tank. About 20 cars got gas that day and they got half gas - half water.
    A womans new Audi A4 stalled out within a few miles....others had similar experiences.
    The cost was $4000 to fix it, the oil company said they would cover any bills.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    @jmonroe1

All that, and you don't name the restaurant? :'(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

They just built a fancy new wawa close to me. The ConocoPhillips station across the street that I normal use keeps their price consistently a few cents cheaper.

So lower price for top tier, and no dealing with the crazy parking lot traffic.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Just ran to Wawa for coffee and at the shore 91 was 2.63. I paid 4.75 at home about a week ago. I’d wager it’s under $4.50 at home now.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    driver100 said:

Is this true?
    My neighbor has a Lexus and she stopped to get gas at an indie kind of scuzzy station.
    She went into an Auto Zone store and they gave her something that would absorb water in the tank.
    They said that would work since it wasn't a lot of water, just from what is left at the bottom of the stations tanks.
    They told her that even at the best stations some water gets into the tanks, it goes to the bottom, and to try and never buy gasoline when the stations tank is near empty.
    Her car works fine.
    A major gas station back home had water in the tank. About 20 cars got gas that day and they got half gas - half water.
    A womans new Audi A4 stalled out within a few miles....others had similar experiences.

How would anyone know when the tank is near empty?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    My grandson was driving along in his BMW, with his son in the car, and noticed some smoke in his side view mirror. He pulled over and saw this. He got away from the car and took a few pictures.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Very scary, glad everyone got away unharmed.

Seems that car fires like that are much more common these days, not just in Hyundai/Kia models which have been recalled for that issue but many other models as well. I think the advent of direct fuel injection systems with gasoline under high pressures leads to this if there is a failure anywhere in the system.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    venture said:

My grandson was driving along in his BMW, with his son in the car, and noticed some smoke in his side view mirror. He pulled over and saw this. He got away from the car and took a few pictures.

Yikes!

Glad everyone is OK.

Guess someone will be shopping for a new (to them) car. Poor time to be in the market, I'm afraid.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

do you want a worker with a super fancy new truck? Somebody has to be paying for that!

Didn't say fancy....I'd be wary of that. I did say clean and cared for....not rusting out.
    I did need a demo guy to remove about 1500 sq ft of old shag carpeting once, do you know how dirty and heavy that is? It was in my older brothers apartment which he was leaving. The demo guy showed up in a black Escalade...beautiful condition. None of the carpet went into the Escalade though...it went into the big garbage bin. There's an example of a guy who had a beautiful older Escalade, he obviously looked after it, and he worked his butt off.....that's the kind of worker I like!
    He probably overcharged you to pay for it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomike said:

@carnaught said:
    @abacomike, with your brother’s visual deficits, was he checked for a retinal detachment? I’m glad that he is doing better though.

The neurologist determined that, based on test results and physical examinations, he sustained a couple of mini-strokes when he coded twice in the OR. His visual problems are beginning to resolve a bit - doctors feel that, with time, full depth perception and acuity should return to normal.

I know he is recovering nicely because his attitude and disposition have improved significantly since I first saw him on Tuesday (we use FaceTime on our Apple smart phones so I can see him in real-time video). Thanks Will for your sincere interest in his recovery.

Both of my wife’s strokes resulted in visual deficits which resolved over time so I’m hopeful your brother will recover too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

@explorerx4 said:

Decent sandwiches and better than most any other chains (other than Primos) but still no where near as good as an independent shop in NJ.

@stickguy

I almost exclusively use Wawa gas. Pricing is usually decent and I’ve never had any problems. Of course then there is my cousin who filled his brand new Silverado 2500 Diesel from Wawa that had unleaded in the diesel tanks. That cost them a pretty penny

jmonroe

Don’t modern diesels have sensors that won’t let the engine start if gasoline is detected? One of our drivers filled a brand new diesel with gas and it shut right down and had to be towed.

• Options
    venture said:

What is that? An Audi?

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I can never get excited about eating where I buy gas. Somethiing about "Honey, let's go out a sandwich
    and gas" that doesn't sound to me like the way it should work.

I recall back in the late 70s when this began there was a gas station with a big sign, "Donuts and Gas." It was in eastern Cincinnati area.

I never stopped there. I always thought about the time my buddy and I ate in downtown Detroit after meeting there for the auto show near the Cobo Hall. I had food poisoning by the time I reached home.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    @venture I’m glad everyone is ok. Probably a blessing the dad was riding along and observed something very wrong. I think @ab348 is correct in that these high pressure fuel systems issues lead to fires. I also think the over use of plastics for intake manifolds, oil pans, water pumps, etc. which often start to leak at the mating surface compound the problem.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735

venture said:

What is that? An Audi?
    Are you trying to scare me???
    Wow, glad family got out well in time.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988

Hardly an inch to spare. Spring purge and cleaning soon. At least I can still park both cars in the garage.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I like your toolbox. I need one of those.

and the only food at a gas station should be Mountain dew and beef jerkey sticks with an expiration date in 1978.

• Options
    and that picture reminds me. When I get a new house, before we move in, I am getting the garage floor done. I deserve a treat.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited March 2022

Red letter weekend! Friday I settled two cases I really didn’t want to take to trial, and in a third the defendant was arrested in Michigan so I won’t have to deal with him for some time.
    Now to sit back and watch IMSA at Sebring, the Bahrain F1 race, and NASCAR at Atlanta.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited March 2022
    Before today I had never heard the term "wawa". Sounds like some attempt at baby talk. A quick google check finds:

A chain of more than 850 convenience retail stores (over 600 offering gasoline), Wawa stores are located in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, D.C.

Seems they're only located in six and a half states, the closest being nearly 2,000 miles away from me.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options

venture said:

What is that? An Audi?
    It's an older BMW. He can't stop messing with his cars like a lot of young guys. It's hard to tell, but it has red wheels.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    F1 is in Bahrain this weekend.

Saudi Arabia next weekend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

@Michaell said:
    F1 is in Bahrain this weekend.

Saudi Arabia next weekend.

That’s what I get for typing too fast on a small screen.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

@venture said:
    It's an older BMW. He can't stop messing with his cars like a lot of young guys. It's hard to tell, but it has red wheels.

The red wheels was what I noticed right after the obvious fire.

Glad everyone is OK.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Several years ago my mom's Camry got a tank of watery gas. This happened when I was visiting, and I recall the car stalling out in the driveway and being unable to start. As it is a Camry that can probably run on kerosene anyway, it wasn't an expensive fix, even at the dealer I think it might have been around $500 to drain the tank and flush the system. She had to deal with the oil company for a couple months to get them to pay, but they did (I think around 20 people had the same experience).
    driver100 said:

Is this true?
    Her car works fine.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    Is this true?
    Her car works fine.

The key takeaway is not stopping at a “scuzzy” gas station. My BMWs and Mini only get Top Tier fuel. My Wrangler gets no worse than Kroger.
    I love people with premium vehicles who cheap out in every way possible and then end up with issues. Usually they blame the car.

• Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

Is this true?
    Her car works fine.

How would anyone know when the tank is near empty?
    In my neighbors case, the pump kept stopping, and then she squeezed more out of it. All you can do is if you notice that you have to keep restarting...it could be low in gasoline.

No One answered if every gas tank has water on the bottom at the bottom....water is heavier.
    At Auto Zone they also said don't fill it more....once the pump stops....that can escape as vapor and smell like gas in the garage....I am just saying what they said....no idea if it is true.

• Options

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

He probably overcharged you to pay for it.
    He didn't....there is a price paid to do that work and it is a certain amount per sq ft.
    The Demolition Guy calculated it out and he did it for half price. It is an awful job and the carpet weighs a lot.....he did it all and he loves his work....demolishing stuff. He did a great job, and he took pride in his work and in his SUV.

• Options
    sda said:

Hardly an inch to spare. Spring purge and cleaning soon. At least I can still park both cars in the garage.

That’s cleaner than my living room.

• Options

@driver100 said:

Is this true?

Her car works fine.

The key takeaway is not stopping at a “scuzzy” gas station. My BMWs and Mini only get Top Tier fuel. My Wrangler gets no worse than Kroger.

I love people with premium vehicles who cheap out in every way possible and then end up with issues. Usually they blame the car.

What is your definition of “scuzzy”? Would that be a station where this guy is in line ahead of you?

• Options
    edited March 2022

@driver100 said:

Is this true?

Her car works fine.

What is your definition of “scuzzy”? Would that be a station where this guy is in line ahead of you?

No, I'm thinking along the lines of a dilapidated no-name food mart; preferably I want a BP, Marathon, Shell, Sunoco or Texaco station- hopefully with 93 octane premium.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Anyone have opinions on prefinished hardwood versus engineered flooring?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    We have engineered. It is holding up just fine with 2 kids, 2 cats, and a dog.

• Options
    I was watching the Mecum car auctions and they sold a 2022 Hummer EV for $260,000, twice it’s sticker price.

What a world.

• Options
    we put in prefinished real hardwood 11 years ago. held up good. Looks more like real wood (since it is), and if you want to it can be refinished. But engineered these days is really good (though as always you can get good stuff or crap, and prices vary). Engineered should give you more style options.

And as TJC pointed out, engineered might be more durable depending on how it is made. And might be easier to install, especially if you need a floating floor.

if I have to put floors in the next place I would do whichever one was cheaper if I have the option.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395

We have engineered hardwood that came with our house. After a decade of use and two owners with kids and pets, it has not held up well.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Driver, it is correct that you should not put extra in. The vapor collection system needs space for the vapors. If you overfill the tank it can get into the charcoal canister and destroy that, which is an expensive repair.

all storage tanks probably have water in them. I have no clue if there is some kind of filtering system for that though. Also, the pump is going to be at the bottom of the tank anyway so if water collects there it's getting pumped out. possibly being low just means there isn't as much gas to mix with it?

• Options

@driver100 said:

Is this true?

Her car works fine.

**************************************************************************************

I'd say if you needed gas and you came to this station......you should avoid it!

• Options
    I got curious about water in storage tanks. one link below. But water is heavier so it sinks to the bottom. And the pump pulls from somewhat above the bottom (so the tank could never be pumped empty). so as long as the water level does not get that high, generally no worries.

the exception to that is when the tanks are filled. That can stir the water up and mix with the gas until it settles back out. Which is why (true or not!) that I have a rule that I will never stop at a gas station if the truck is there loading the tanks!

interesting that they have to occasionally pump out the bottom of the tanks to get out the water that has accumulated, but it makes sense.

https://www.pei.org/wiki/tank-water-bottoms

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Lol no… IIRC the bill was nearly 10K. Every inch of the fuel system along with other things had to be either replaced or cleaned. Wawa was pretty good about it. They reviewed the video and saw he used the right nozzle and then checked the tank to confirm there was regular gas in there. They paid quickly. I wonder how many other customers had the same thing happen. I wouldn’t want to be the guy who filled the wrong tank. You can be sure he got charged back!

Many decades ago my mom filled up her brand new car at a gas station near work and got a tank full of water. The service center offered to fix it but since it was a brand new car she had the dealership fix it. The station paid for that, don't know how much it cost.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    At the station where I usually fill up, I remember seeing them remove some liquid from the top of the tank.
    Can't remember what they used to remove it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    henryn said:

Before today I had never heard the term "wawa". Sounds like some attempt at baby talk. A quick google check finds:

A chain of more than 850 convenience retail stores (over 600 offering gasoline), Wawa stores are located in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, D.C.

Seems they're only located in six and a half states, the closest being nearly 2,000 miles away from me.

How can they be located in half a state? You either have a location there or you don't. Is there one location that straddles a state line?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D