Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• Options
    poc911poc911 Member Posts: 3
    ....looked better, IMO. It had a smoother look to it and the rims looked nicer, too. Although it resembled a beefed up Boxster or 996, it "looked" like a Porsche. Being a Porsche owner myself, I am disappointed that we waited so long for this. Porsche AG even put their factory racing program on hold for several years to focus on this project.
  • Options
    jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Base model S at around $56800. But the real news is the Turbo model. Besides the obvious engine, it has a tremendous amount more in terms of interior appointments and electronics standard. I don't understand why the base doesn't come with the advanced suspension for great on and off-road abilities. Seems to me the base is a jacked up wagon. The turbo model comes in at a whopping $88900 base. I don't know what the market for these is except perhaps people that want to one up Range Rover owners.
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    For $56,000 I would expect everything, but this is a Porsche, not a Cadillac. Even after that, Luxury Tax and Gas Guzzler tax is going to kick whoever buys it in the Poorhouse anyway. I see it as a bragmobile.

Anyone really know who's the Closest Contender for this Box-On-Wheels?
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Anyone interested...

The wall street journal has an article about porsche cayenne today.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'd like to see the story, but I don't subscribe. Hopefully we'll see a "free" link soon.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Reading between the lines, if you think the luxury SUV market is saturated and Porsche is late to the party, you should short the stock sometime before the official rollout.

(don't come crying to me if you actually do this! - usual disclaimers )

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Different article on the world's fastest SUV.

Steve

Host

• Options
    Cayenne introduced at the 2002 Paris Mondial de l'Automobile -- judging by the dearth of posts in here, does anyone care?

Steve

Host

• Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Has the Cayenne even started production yet at the factory?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    month's C&D says the only part of the car that is actually Porsche is the engines. Apart from those, Cayenne is all-Touareg. It doesn't even build the rest of the car, just has VW ship it in.

And this thing has a 2.7:1 4LO crawl gear? Why on earth? How long will those 35-profile tires last on the rocks when you start to "crawl"? Please.

The article goes on to say that Porsche cannot survive making sports cars alone, because their sales are so subject to economic up/downturns. I say if that is the case, they should have taken a different tack, and made the best darn sports sedan ever to be put on the road. At least it would have been a car, rather than a truck. And this split-personality truck that does nothing well (for $56K you get 0-60 times in the mid-7's, heck a top of the line sentra could beat those times) is so far off the Porsche map!

Why couldn't they choose to out-M5 the M5 instead?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    at wasting gas.

city: 11-13 mpg
    highway: 13-15 mpg.

By the time you merge back with the rest of traffic you have to refuel.
  • Options
    good about this "truck"? Even if it perfectly fit the niche of what you were looking for in a vehicle, with performance like this, why wouldn't you just buy the VW, save a bunch of $$, and get a better-looking vehicle to boot?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    There's a new '03 Cayenne video here, but I can't figure out the link - best way to find it is to go to the main edmunds.com page and scroll down about 1/3rd of the way....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    chicagolandchicagoland Member Posts: 31
    Tell me what you think about the new Cayenne. I love the exhaust sound!

http://www.thenewsmarket.com/CatxHome/story1.asp?asset_id=6157

Chicagoland

• Options
    Wow!

• Options
    Awesome!

Wow!

• Options
    Yell!

Awesome!

Wow!

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Power: 444bhp at 6000rpm
    Torque: 457lb ft at 2250-4750rpm
    Gearbox: 6-speed Automatic
    Brakes: Front 350mm Ventilated Disc
    Rear 330mm Ventilated Disc
  • Options
    Starting price for the standard options-packed Turbo remains set at $88,900 while the 340-hp non-turbo S will start at $55,900.

Chicagoland
  • Options
    For the Cayenne the standard 18-inch summer Y-rated units probably couldn’t get you past the “R” in Rubicon, but the all-terrain option is 235/60Rs on all corners.

Chicagoland
  • Options
    Porsche foresees 15,000 units from the new Leipzig plant for 2003—the first full calendar year of Cayenne production. Come 2004, Porsche will bump up to the projected 25,000 units.

Chicagoland
  • Options
    The air suspension can hold six different height settings from a stoop of 6.18 inches to a high of 10.75 inches of ground clearance.

Chicagoland
  • Options
    Cayenne uses a 38/62 front/rear split. It can send 100 percent of traction to any single wheel if needed. This coupled with the Porsche Stability Management system originally seen on the Carrera 4S would explain the sheer confidence.

Chicagoland
  • Options
    Cayenne Turbo: 8 minutes 42 seconds; for comparsion the BMW M5 8 minutes 28 seconds.

Chicagoland
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    You have gotten people to look at this forum. Now lighten up and see if anyone is interested enough in the cayenne to respond...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    chicagoland sells Porsches professionally, and equally clearly, no-one else takes this "truck", or whatever it is, seriously enough to respond in this thread!

• Options
    rear lockers - what a waste on this thing!

• Options
    No, I do not sell Porsches or any type vehicle professionally. This is the most advance vehicle out in the market place. Period.
  • Options
    If rear lockers are useless. Why do all serious off-road vehicles have them? I.E.: Jeep
  • Options
    with these tires and this clearance, the Cayenne is NOT a serious off-road vehicle, it is a laugh. That's before I even get to its ultra-expensive paint job, fancy interior...who would take this thing off road even if it were fully capable? It is more than $50,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Options
    You are missing the point! I will have two sets of tire/wheels for the Cayenne. One set for off-road only and another set for on-road. To me a $50K vehicle is not expensive!

Chicagoland
  • Options
    Check out the Porsche Cayenne Off-Road video.

Broadband Users:

http://www.suncoastporsche.com/multimedia/video/cayennehigh.rm

DialUp Users:

http://www.suncoastporsche.com/multimedia/video/cayennelow.rm

Please give me your thoughts!

Thanks!
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    wow 14 consecutive posts by chicago land. Sbcooke breaks up the monotony, only to be followed by 9 more posts.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Posting of copyrighted material is not allowed on the Town Hall Message Boards. Posting of copyrighted material without attribution is even worse.

You may quote (short) excerpts of copyrighted material along with citations. Usually a link to the material is preferable.

Thank you.

tidester, host
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    the pic of a cayenne 3 wheelin is rather sad. Only 9 inches from the top of the tire to the wheel well (approximately). Who are we trying to kid???
  • Options
    idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    The Cayenne Turbo is getting reviews from pretty much all the automotive press hereabouts, and the Cayenne remains a Porsche when talking about performance or braking. It also looks like the Cayenne hangs to the road surprisingly well given its weight (nearly 2500 kg), with little body roll. No manual but an automanual mode. And the thing is a gas pig.

The chassis and drivetrain have been engineered by Porsche. Unlike in the VW, the basic torque distribution is not 50/50 but 62/38 rear/front (just like BMW's awd setup...), and for those who will spit at Porsche for making an offroad vehicle, they ought to remember that Porsche has won the Paris-Dakar rallye raid twice ('84 and '86) - and also remember the 1959. Porsche is no novice at all when it comes to awd. The Touareg has been tested offroad and does very, very well, on par with a Range Rover says the press, so the Cayenne shouldn't disappoint in this domain as well.

Now, it's a bet for Porsche, a huge bet. But given the usual clientele for this kind of vehicles, they may very well succeed. After all, if people really bought the cars they actually needed, there wouldn't be that many SUVs on the road, would it?
  • Options
    magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Car magazine said they got 9.8mpg, and that was imperial gallons!
  • Options
    buying an $88K vehicle, what is a few more $$ for gas?

• Options
    Makes me want to throw up...but the picture in post # 81 kept me from the bathroom. (It's the only one where the Cayenne actually looks decent) HeHe

Expect to see them (The Cayenne) in the next hip hop video...
  • Options
    idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    Another extensive review of both the Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo...

Talking performance only, the S performs better than a Boxster S, and the Turbo performs on par with a 911 Carrera 4!

The ultimate family transportation... at an ultimate price :) $88k for the S and $103k for the Turbo (in France)...
  • Options
    Cayenne is on the cover of one of the car mags for the January issue on stands now...can't wait to read that article.

Actually, I can't wait to see if this is the sales flop I think it will be, or whether it will be a huge niche success, the way Escalade turned out to be (ick! - Escalade - who on Earth needs one of those things?)

• Options
  • Options
    homfindrhomfindr Member Posts: 3
    What is the price for the Turbo in the US? How would the turbo compare to the Mercedes G55 both on road and off road? Any takers.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The price for the Cayenne Turbo is 89.5K. Compared to the G55 there isn't a contest on-road, the Benz gets slaughtered. Off-road is another matter, I would say the advantage would still go to the G55. The reports so far on the Cayenne Turbo say that it outhandles, runs and stops the X5 4.6is (current on road king) and is 9/10ths as capable as the Range Rover off-road. IF that is indeed true, then nothing on the market will be able to touch this vehicle. It *seemingly* offers the best of both worlds. I'm impressed with everything about this new Porsche, except it's looks.

M