Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• Options
    kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    Just received from Porsche a nice package with their video & other info in it on the Cayenne. Currently driving an X5 4.4 sport pkg vehicle. Lease is up in about a year, around the same time Cayenne is expected to hit the market. My wife says she wants one, the turbo. Video was impressive. I think the picture of the Siberian husky in the back of the vehicle sold her. We have a Siberian. When it's out, we will test drive Vs. the updated X% which is a heck of a vehicle. Owned many cars including Porsches, Bimmers M/B's etc and am anxious to see the Cayenne in person
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One thing led to, well, a Thing eh?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    On the road the Cayenne is obviously the faster rig. The G55 is down 90hp and is heavier by about 500lbs. I think an important question is , how dang fast do you really want to drive something this big and heavy? I have a G500, its acceleration will be similar to the S version Cayenne. I also have a 928GT that has acceleration on par with the Turbo. I personally don't want my truck thing as fast as a fast car.

When you get to the off-road comparison, the G kills the Cayenne. Sure you have to pull the running boards off and fit respectable tires to both but, the G is a real packhorse, bred for the most difficult terrain in the world. Like the heady acceleration, how many people will use either truck to its limits, on or off-road? I have led a couple of G Wagen outings in Moab. The capabilities of the truck scare even owners who thought they new how far the truck would take them. I even coached a G500, on stock 18" rubber, up the 4+(toughest) rated Moab Rim trail. I suspect that with the lockers and adjustable susp., the Cayenne could be coached through as well. For that matter a $25k Jeep Rubicon would tackle the same task, albiet, not nearly as quickly or in as much luxury.

I think the Cayenne will be class leader, price be damned. I personally wouldn't buy it to off-road with it. It does offer impressive towing capabilities too. It is a powerful, solid awd road runner. The G is a worker, solid and unwavering, the top pick if you actually ply the trails. The new V8 versions are impressive hot rods as well. So it is a soap box vs a soap bar. Two machines with on and off road capabilites rarely explored.
  • Options
    speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Count me as someone who at first regarded the Cayenne as one of the ugliest creatures on the road. But looking at pictures on this board (e.g., post 74) and in recent European magazines, I've decided this car looks elegant and nimble, as well as solid. Really nice in dark colors. If Porsche can market it correctly (emphasize exotic off-road travel and racing), this truck will make it, imo. Plenty of wealthy people from Colorado to South Africa would buy a capable off-roader that can pull 8000 lbs.
  • Options
    Ccexxp1Ccexxp1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I am thinking of trying one of these formy next trycuk, BUT, when I got the brochure, it looks like an Audi wagon, or an enlarged car? I hope it is different in person, if so, Porsche needs new photographers!
  • Options
    You seem very, very enthusiastic about this truck (if it is really a truck), I would be interested in your opinions about the X5 4.4 and the Lexus GX470. I do not know which product to select, and, I do have some time before I must decide, so, I am doing some preliminary research. I tested the Land Rover Discovery (yuck, kinda uncomfortable), the Range Rover (fabulous, I can't justify that expense, though), and looked at the H2 (too tall/wide/big), the Escalade (too, well, I just don't know!), the Aviator (too Navigatorish), the XC90 (I want an 8 cyl-nice truck, though), the GX470 (i like it) and the x5 (i like that, too) Any suggestions?
  • Options
    How about the VW Tourareg version of the Cayenne? It has a V8 and many of the features of the Cayenne, since they are related. It is priced with the Lexus and BMW under $50k. Keep in mind that the turbo Cayenne is a $90,000 vehicle. The S version would be nice but unless you need the nameplate the VW is a better buy. It also won a recent C&D comparison test where the GX470 finished second.

I also think that the ML500 is a great buy. It rides much better than the X5 and isn't as garishly styled as the GX470.

I do like the GX470 though. It should prove to be typical Toyota, ultra reliable, and the Lexus dealer experience can not be beat, not by BMW, M-B or Porsche.

The X5 is fun but not capable enough as a truck, if that is important to you. I have a hard time with it being smaller than a 5-series wagon and not having a set of low range gears. I have had a couple as loaners from BMW and did not care for the ride. My son got carsick. It does GO however, I manged to get a speeding ticket in one.
  • Options
    I also read that article in Car & Driver about the SUV's which chose the VW as #1, and the GX470 as #2. If the VW is equivalent to the Porsche, then I will consider it, too, however, I suspect that both the VW and the Porsche are more like tall station wagons than SUV's, only when I actually see it can I make that determination. I saw the Lexus (didn't test drive) and I thought that the rear door opened weird (one-sided), and I also did NOT like how the rear seats folded (no smooth cargo floor), otherwise, great truck. It will be a good second choice.
  • Options
    idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    It's the same chassis and suspension, only the engines (and electronic programs for the suspension) are different. Porsche engineered it all.

Quite smart from Porsche in fact. They worked out the chassis for VW, and while they were at it they saw fit to afford an SUV. The only in-house 100% funded project by Porsche was the Cayenne engine. VW builds the Cayenne for them. Obviously they don't have to worry about build quality, which is another plus :)
  • Options
    The Porsche and VW wouldn't be much different from the competition if they were just tall wagons. They are unibodys like a car and like the X5. They have been pretty thoroughly engineered to drive like cars and work like trucks. They can tow 7000lbs which should be more than enough. They offer the adjustable suspension if you need the clearance. They have low range gearing like a real truck too.

The line between truck and tall wagon is nothing more than a blur to me anymore. Just figure out what your expectations are for the vehicle.

I have a couple of MB G-wagens. I bought a 2002 G500 for my wife to drive since I had always had excellent luck with my G's. I may be looking to trade the G500 for a Cayenne. The reason being is, the G500 is all truck. I use my G320 for serious off-roading. She just needs something to haul stuff that has 4wd for winter. The Cayenne will undoubtably be a better road car and still be able to pull the boat, the "other Porsche" and do some off-roading.

Getting into a truely rugged "truck" is not really necessary for 99% of people. What I am getting at is my G500 is serious overkill for the way it is used. I can back down slightly to the Cayenne and still meet my needs. Then, try to define what a real truck is anymore.

I think the VW will be a great value and supremely capable. I will be looking to the Porsche for a couple of reasons, first, I can, and second, I am a Porsche club member and want another V8 Porsche in the stable, just for kicks.
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Craig-- Originally, I considered the Cayenne/Touareg just a "tall station wagon" too until I did more research. The eye-opener was when I saw this pic someone posted over on the VWVortex board of a Touareg parked next to an Audi allroad. Click here to view that picture.

--'rocco

• Options
    walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    I'm comparing between a Cayenne S engine wersus the turbocharged Cayenne. Do you think the turbocharged Cayenne is well worth the money for $35,000 extra or is the Cayenne S engine is decent enough?

Any owners out there already purchased a Porsche Cayenne? If so, what is your experience with this SUV?
  • Options
    That picture makes a huge difference, in fact, its not a station wagon! I guess that this will make the decision to the VW or Porsche S easy...I cannot justify the 88,900 Turbo as our second vehicle, I'm lucky I can squeeze out the "S"!!
  • Options
    The "base" engine is good enough to show its rear bumpers to an X5 4.6iS...
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I saw a commercial on the speedvision channel the other day. It had it driving past an old motorhome...while growling...more like a dodge commercial :-O While the cayenne is cool, I don't feel like the commercial did much to sell its attributes.
  • Options
    silvastarsilvastar Member Posts: 3
    Anyone out there that would be able to compare the new fx45 to the base cayenne. What are peoples opinions?
    regards
    j.silva
  • Options
    I sat in both at the autoshow. The FX45 was very comfortable...actually so was the porsche. The infinity seemed more "plasticy".
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    the Cayenne equipped w tires for the on-road performance it's capable of isn't too good off-road (not surprising). Equipped with tires for the off-road performance it's capable of (you guessed it) it can't go very fast on-road.

It's trying to be too many things at once if you ask me.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    Isn't that the point? It almost defines the SUV genre'. They will be fast, even the S version, as noted, will be among the quickest SUVs on the planet. The Turbo will be a monster.

They have class leading cargo capacity, comfortable seating for 5, and the speed thing. If it is just a matter of fitting the right tires for your priorities, what is the problem? Living in the snow belt, I do that anyway.

One pitfall regarding tires though is a very limited selection of suitable choices in either 18,19 or 20" wheels. There are no good off road tires in an 18" diameter yet. Is it really an issue anyway? A fair set of tires will take a Cayenne owner further than he is willing to go anyway.
  • Options
    thru the underbrush in their Cayenne.?

I don't think SUVs as a class are as versatile as they're made out to be. The difference is for the cost of this one you could buy two cars, one with excellent on road performance and another to go banging thru the brush.

• Options
    I however do, with a vehicle MORE expensive than the Cayenne. I lead off road trips for a group of MB Geleandewagen owners. Just three trucks this year. New sticker prices were 160k , 135k, and 120k for these trucks. Do not discount the fact that there are people out there that have ever intention of USING the vehicle. I chose the G-wagen specifically because I can comfortably drive it across the country, off-road the heck out of it and cruise it home at speed. The Cayenne leans toward on road a little more but is certainly capable.

I do agree with you though. You could get a new Jeep Rubicon for $25k and a used Boxster for $30-35k to do just as you suggest. I am personally out of garage space, multipurpose vehicles are appealling.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that the few makers of luxury trucks that are genuinely capable off road (not only Porsche, if it is the case, but also G-wagon and Range Rover come to mind - there are probably others) do not make stripper versions without all the leather, wood, eight-zone auto climate control etc.

Who needs all that junk anyway? I wonder what the Range Rover would cost with a stick shift, manual A/C, and a CD player? Cancel all the other luxury amenities and sell it for $20K less, I say! I LIKE wind-down windows! You can open them without the key in the ignition!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I believe you can get Land Rover and Land Cruiser strippers in Africa, Iran, Iraq, etc. I think some of those very capable models were actually there first, and then got loaded up to come here.
  • Options
    stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    The FX45 is the fastest and best handling SUV to be tested at a fraction of the price of a Cayenne,the FX45 is also much better looking,dare to comment?

[img]http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/images/03fx45_3.jp- g[/img]
  • Options
    Nissan has come up with some pretty competitive models recently. The FX45 was very comfortable at the autoshow. The place near me has a few on the lot. The one caveat is that the cayenne is going to be designed to be a serious offroader, while I am sure it won't be a rock crawler, it will probably be a lot sturdier. Nissan needs to get past that "plasticy" image. Offroading can almost rattle a vehilce with a loose chassis apart, and these characteristics could still set the cayenne ahead. For 90% of people who never go offroad and would rather spend the $40K difference on something else that won't make a difference.
  • Options
    for banging around in the boonies is a beautiful glossy paint job like you get with the Cayenne. I wonder how long it'll be before a manufacturer comes up with an offroader that has matte paint with an epoxy coating that won't scratch.

When it happens all the poseurs who never go off-road are going to want it, along with 'roo bars and stone guards they never need either <?;^)

• Options
    phastphilphastphil Member Posts: 22
    I test drove the FX the other day. I thought Infiniti had hit the nail on the head - an SUV that was more S than U. In fact they call it a S2UV. But, I was dissapointed with the ride, very choppy, rough and jittery. Might have been the sport suspension and the 20" wheels, so it might be best to test the FX-35 with just the premium package which has the 18" no sport suspension. But it did ride well, snappy even with the V6. The interior was not up to what I would expect for $50K.

I've saw the Cayenne-S on Sunday, but without a test drive its hard to draw any conclusions. Very distinctive, you won't mistaken it for anything else (except for the Touareg at a quick glance).

But, I'm confused why anyone would take a $90K car through the mud and dirt, but I'm a city guy, so what do I know?

I guess if you can't make the payments on a Cayenne, than the Touareg could be a good alternative with the V8. The specs and options run very parallel to the Cayenne. Did I misread the reports the V6 Touareg does 0-60 in 9.9sec? Very Slow. I guess the V-8 is the only way to go, if you had to.
  • Options
    "But, I'm confused why anyone would take a $90K car through the mud and dirt, but I'm a city guy, so what do I know?"

What about the Hummer H1, then ? :) $100k made for dirt :)
  • Options
    phastphilphastphil Member Posts: 22
    You got me on that one! The H-2 is certainly geared for the off road enthusiast, and I know the Cayenne was focusing on the Range Rover market while trying to calm the Porsche crowd who were critical of them making a SUV.
    Like I said, what do I know, I'm a city guy who always had two cars, my city/weekday car and a weekend car that usually never came out in the rain. Us NYC car enthusiasts are weird!
  • Options
    And it really makes you "hmmmm" :-)

First Drive: 2003 Porsche Cayenne

Steve, Host
  • Options
    pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    It's a good review but they got the towing capacity wrong. It's 7700 # NOT 3500.
  • Options
    The towing capacity is 3500!

But 3,500 kilograms, not pounds (7716 pounds to be more precise). Ok, I guess you did use the "#" sign <g>.

fwiw, we got it right in the vehicle info pages. I'll send some Feedback to the editors. Thanks, and good eye!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    Steve,
     Had they said 3500 KG (=7700 #)I could buy it but they said pounds. It may be a small point but if someone was reading it and actually had a need for towing they might dismiss the vehicle as the competition all tows more (than 3500 pounds).
     Thanks,
     Bill
  • Options
    smokin_z4smokin_z4 Member Posts: 3
    I was a loyal Infiniti owner until they started putting the seat controls in the top of the seats. Something wrong with embedding a hard platic piece in a sport seat. It's just not very comfortable. I agree that the plastic is a bit chincy for a $50K vehicle too. I was considering the BMW X5 until the Porsche Cayenne came out. This SUV can haul. They are targeting sububanites like myself that may take this on one or two road trips a year. It is not for those looking to go to the back woods on a daily basis. Porsche hit this right on the head. A well equiped S is only about $12,000 more than the FX45 and well worth it.
  • Options
    sc430pilotsc430pilot Member Posts: 6
    While you are making corrections, please check the power rating on the Bose sound system. It is likely more than 35 watts....perhaps 350 watts.

I test drove the Cayenne S March 15 and with freeway construction/congestion and local traffic, never had a chance to experience its acceleration or handling. I found the ride to be less harsh compared to an X5, but less cushy to a GX470. The gas pedal response was sensitive, but not as jerky-jackrabbit moving away from a dead stop. Steering had more feel than GX470 and also not as heavy feeling as X5. The DVD navigation wasn't working (no disk in the unit), so I can't compare it to the navigation in my Lexus or Odyssey, which are both excellent. It must be better than the The X5 also requires extra strength to open the doors than the Cayenne or GX470. The salesman said the Cayenne S is not currently available with the Air Suspension option, not even to special order. That is a an issue for me. And the local dealer's allotment of Turbos are sold out into July. And what a price premium ! although I would be looking at a highly optioned S, the difference is perhaps only $20K. In May, the Touareg will go on sale so model availability with the options I seek will be a factor on the V8 model.

As far as LOOKS, I think the X5 is beautiful, the Touareg is attractive, and the Cayenne is much better looking in person than via pictures.

Reliability is a concern. A first year model for any Make is laden with some teething problem risk. BMW's X5 has been a problem vehicle from the start and still remains with deficiencies that BMW is slow to address. Between the VW store and the Porsche store, which one will support its product better? Hard to tell. I seriously considered buying a Boxster S, but in the end (as I don't have the time/patience to put up with unplanned trips to the dealer) I bought a Lexus SC430. I certainly doesn't handle as well as the Boxster, but it has had minimal problems and Superb Lexus service, the same with my wife's LS400. I followed discussion boards for both the X5 and Boxster to see what owners were dealing with on problems and deficiencies. If reliability issues crop up on discussion boards like this for the Cayenne, then maybe the GX470 gets the nod. The Acura MDX and Honda Pilot are good, reliable vehicles, but not for towing stuff. For now, I'm going to wait to see the Touareg...while fighting the impulse to special order a Cayenne. I have a second home at Lake Tahoe, CA where the Cayenne would be great.

No I haven't driven the FX45 yet so I can't compare it to the others I have driven, but it also can only tow 3500#. Future unknowns: the Lexus RX330 will likely have boring driving dynamics and minimal tow capability and the Cadillac SRX will scoot, but not likely be fun in the handling department and its towing ability is unknown. Also, I have never owned a GM product and have only been impressed by one of their models: the EV-1 electric car. Current Vehicles Brands: Lexus, Toyota, Subaru, Honda, FORD. Have had BMW, Audi also.
  • Options
    First pounds, now watts. Maybe we should wait a few more days in case any other typos show up before emailing the editors?

Looks like it's correctly reported as 350 watts in the Road Test and in the Editor Review though. Sure you saw the error in the Road Test, Sc430pilot? (maybe the eds are reading the discussion and fixing stuff on the fly <g>).

I notice that the towing "pounds" error has been fixed already.

Thanks for reading the reviews, and thanks for writing your own impressions for everyone!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ergozoomergozoom Member Posts: 10
    Took a Cayenne Turbo for a short test drive yesterday. The engine is pretty incredible, endless torque delivery, beautiful rumble. The air suspension works very nicely, in sport mode the car is very precise. The car looks much better in flesh than in pictures, I expected to be disappointed by the esthetics, but I was wrong. It looks like a Porsche. The interior is nicely designed, some plastics could be of better quality for a $100k car, but overall it's a very pleasant place to be in.

Altogether, very very nice. As for me, I'll order the FX45, knowing that it's a different class of car and save $50k in the process....
  • Options
    wonderboy2543wonderboy2543 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I just bought a BMW X-5 4.6 and was totally mesmerized by its performance and luxurious standard equipments. Its massive HP and torques put you in a total different level of enjoyment. My previous Range Rover 4.6 HSE was heavy and slow with no performance to speak of. When Cayenne first appeared in the local dealer's lot, I took a couple of hours off from my work and test drove both models. The turbo was definitely a nice and responsive piece of machinery. But I don't think its price tag justifies the minute difference between Cayenne and X-5 4.6 (0-60 5.6 sec vs. 6.2 sec); and the 4.6 is much better equipped than the Cayenne. On the other hand, the S version was a total disappointment. With its limited standard equipments, you just don't feel satisfied within its cabin. The accelaration was its weakest point when compared to the 4.6. The car just stay at the same speed even if you have floored the gas padel. It behooves you to use the tiptronic as a substitute right away. The PCM and audio share one DVD/CD drive. You have to take the Nav DVD out after you have downloaded the destination to play the music CD. The body of the car is shaped to invite dings from other parked cars in the shopping center. Yet the optional body side moulding is esthetically unacceptable. The optional roof top railings are $400+ and is another cosmetically flop aftermarket addition. If you were to add ski racks on top of them, I bet you will catch enough wind to slow you down on your way to the ski country. It definitely makes you think why would anyone want to buy Cayenne S over X-5 4.6?
  • Options
    Maybe the cayenne won't have all sorts of electical gremlins and problems as does the X5?

The cayenne also offers serious offroad capabilities wrapped together with its onroad performance.

I think the cayenne offers serious competition to the X5, if not actually being better.
  • Options
    I saw one coming at me the other way on the highway yesterday. I only got a quick look of it in the "real world".

Two things I noticed. From the side/rear it looks a lot like a RX300. It also had "Cayenne" spelled out in huge white letters across the back right in the center under the window. I could read it in my rearview mirror heading away at 60 MPH. It looked pretty cheesey. I am surprised I couldn't read the engine size listed next to it :-). Not that I will ever get one, but I would have that lettering removed, or at least painted a muted color if I did.
  • Options
    sprtansprtan Member Posts: 6
    Having had to discover this the hard way with a previous vehicle (it was under the rear driver's side seat), I was wondering where the battery(s) are located in the Cayenne? I was reading that there are actually two batteries (I assume one to support the engine and the other to support the Bose system).

More importantly, where are the jump start terminals/access points located? In my old car, there were contacts under the hood specifically for jump starting even though the actual battery was under the rear seat.

Any insights?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jeffreybehrjeffreybehr Member Posts: 13
    Hi. I just registered on Edmunds and am amazed at the nastiness and lack of logic displayed by some. I've owned 3 SUVs in my life, along with an '87 Mustang that I drove a LOT around road courses in the West during open-track events, and lots others, of course, over 43 years of driving (I'm 59). My first SUV was a 1970 Jeep Wagoneer with which I pulled trailers, did some 4-wheeling, etc. for 5 years. Bought a new '95 Cherokee (after the Mustang) on which I put over 100,000 miles before I replaced it with a '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. The latter's been lowered slightly as I HATE the butt-high look of the Grandokees, but I do drive it off pavement and do scratch it. Things I wished it had are more power, a better auto-trans, variable ride height, longer-lasting front-brake rotors, and better ride.

I looked at BMW X5s a while back but they LOOK large and they don't have a flat rear floor with the seats folded. I looked at a Cayenne yesterday and fell in love with it, and after reading all I can find on it, I'm ready to spend $90K of my net worth on the Turbo.

Why the Cayenne, since I've never owned or wanted to own a Porsche and have never spent more than $30K on a vehicle? Not necessarily in order of importance, are overall on-road performance; overall utility, since I haul around a lot of expensive camera gear and camping equipment; and off-road capability including variable ride height, something I've wanted for my Grandokee since I've owned it. Will I take it off pavement? Absolutely. Will it get scratched? Yes. Are replacement-tire choices broad? No. (I'll end up probably with Toyo Proxes STs [my current Grandokee tire in 275/60-17 and which I like very much] in 265/50R20 or 295/40R20, whichever I can get under the fenders. Both of these are about 1-1/2 inches larger diameter which will help ground clearance slightly.)

It has 2 batteries, one under the hood and one within the would-be spare-tire well and which also contains the Bose electronics, all according to the salesperson. It comes with NO spare tire, certainly something I'll remedy before taking it off pavement.

I regret that most Cayennes will be driven by soccer moms, it weighs 5200 pounds, it gets not-high fuel mileage, it requires premium fuel, cloth seats aren't available, spread across the rear deck is the tacky-looking name, and it costs so much. I'll buy it anyway, with the off-road and towing packages and NO hole in its roof, and I'll love its excellent road performance AND off-pavement prowess.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

Perhaps with a little more experience on message boards you will come to see that this a pretty friendly, helpful and knowledgable group here. Having just arrived it may be difficult to appreciate the context of individual postings.

tidester, host
  • Options
    I read ALL the messages under the Cayenne header, and perhaps 'amazed' is not the right word to use. I have lots of experience with message boards and I'm seldom surprised at how uninformed AND opinionated some people are. I have no intention of replying to or attacking any of them, and I hope the folk here will indeed prove helpful and knowledgeable.
  • Options
    ...buying a Cayenne because of that garish brand and model name on the rear deck--one can DELETE it. So I did. When I ordered my Turbo, today.
  • Options
    You see...there was useful information on this board. You may not have noticed that option without it.

Good luck with the purchase. What was the cost? MSRP or above? Did you have to go through a reseller or directly from a dealer? I read that all the first run models were purchased and being resold at a premium? How long do you have to wait?
  • Options
    What was the cost? MSRP or above?
    'Just' regular retail. I added the towing ($590) and off-road ($2850) packages, roofrack bars ($450), fire extinguisher ($80), thermally insulated glass ($1080; I'm in very-hot Phoenix), and compass ($80). All that plus destination charge equals $94,795. The 'Sport' seats, same as in the $100K+ sportscars, were a no-cost option that I added.

Did you have to go through a reseller or directly from a dealer?
    I used the only dealer in the Phoenix area, North Scottsdale Porsche.

I read that all the first run models were purchased and being resold at a premium?
    Not mine. They never mentioned any additional markup on any price.

How long do you have to wait?
    The order was accepted by the factory today. It'll be built in July and delivered in August.

It'll be silver metallic with lite- and dark-gray interior with NO wood. The test drive in an 'S' model was really fun today. It feels liter than my 4300-pound '99 Grandokee. It's VERY responsive to inputs and seemed to ride not harshly, even with the steel-spring system.

As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the Cayenne because it had not just the best but an excellent combination of performance and utility. But nothing's perfect, right? So I've started shopping for replacement tires and wheels. I think I've settled on a new ROH wheel called the 'Drift R' in 18x9, with either Toyo Proxes STs or Yokohama AVS S/Ts. Whichever I choose, they'll be a bit taller (and wider) than any of the OE tires, all of which are a bit wimpy, IMO.

I KNOW there are reasonable people on this forum who will be very helpful. But my earlier statement still stands...that there seem to be a lot of folk who are very opinionated but not well informed. I hope I don't run into many.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you've spotted misinformation why don't you do us all a favor by pointing out the errors and setting the record straight with the correct information?

tidester, host
  • Options
    driver53driver53 Member Posts: 2
    2500 assertive miles in my new CayenneS. Very, very pleased. Third Porsche, Cayenne best by far. Will try to convince wife to take this one so I can get Turbo. Not likely...
    The Cayenne feels substantially bigger than the ML, X5 and FX. Also dependable in the snow, although limited experience in late March. Sport X5s and MLs tires had trouble with wet grass, not to mention snow.
    Cayenne handles very well but heavy. Cruises really, really well. 6 speed tranny is outstanding. Front brakes are a bit grabby at low speeds. Get the power steering enhancement option.
    Would have preferred a higher price with ALL the amenities included vs. the maddening list of options of which some should be standard.
    Nav is very reliable, but should be DVD. Watch out for the mute button on the steering wheel, you are likely to accidentally depress when backing up and then left wondering why your stereo does not work.
    The Cayenne's looks are much better in person than in photos. Cayenne could use bigger wheels though considering the huge wheel wells. Currently turns lots of heads and I am approached in parking lots by the curious. Engine sounds great and Cayenne definitely has more testosterone than the ML/X models.
    Was about to buy the new Range Rover after and comparison with the MB G500 and I am very glad our dealer had a CayenneS available. Previous car was BMW M5 and the transition has not been that tough. Not to say the Cayenne is ready to compete with the M5, but I am quite satisfied with the sporty demeanor of Cayenne.