Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I have a Thule evolution box which I use on my Subaru which has Thule crossbars. I want to use it on my MDX (factory rack). The evolution box has a quick release attachment with a U bolt that is too narrow to fit on the MDX crossbars. The Thule/Yakima towers and crossbars apparently don't look good on the MDX.
    I'm wondering if anyone has rigged some kind of way to attach the Evolution U bolt to the MDX crossbars so that the Evolution box can be attached. Maybe a wider U bolt could be used and the ends bent back to the proper distance to fit in the Evolution holes?
    Thanks for any ideas.
  • Options
    dvdmandvdman Member Posts: 7
    I looked into this just last week as I plan on getting an Evolution 1200. You must use the older fit kit (not the quick release version that comes with the Evolution). Apparently you just drill one new hole in each sliding plastic piece in the Evolution to get a wider spacing and accomodate the wider U bolts.
  • Options
    deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    Thanks dvdman,

I needed to do something for the wknd, so I bought the thule crossbars and strapped them to the acura factory rack crossbars using 8 metal hose clamps. Then I attached the evolution using the quick release attachment and u bolts that came with it.
    I will check out your recommendation and see if I can just buy some wider u bolts that will fit over the acura cross bars.
    Do you know the number of the thule fit kit? Is it basically just the cross bars and some wing nuts?
    I also wonder if it will be easy to remove the quick release setup that came with the evolution and then put it back on to use with my subaru. Another option I am considering is to buy wider ubolts and shape them so that they fit over the acura crossbar and then bend inward to fit into the quick release system. Not sure if I can bend a ubolt easily so that it doesn't weaken the metal.
    Dan
  • Options
    rottie_99rottie_99 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a 2005 MDX without the RES. I would prefer to add two screens in the headrests of the front seats if possible. Has anyone out there done this and can you recommend a brand to install? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have an older Thule Summit, the brackets for that box fit over the cross bars.
  • Options
    billw3billw3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a recomendation for an outdoor car cover for los Angeles weather?
  • Options
    tahoekingtahoeking Member Posts: 6
    I work at best buy and just did an 05 Mdx for a viper 160xv remote start and keyless entry, the install took me roughly 3.5 hrs and had no problems at all. You do have to go into the driver door to get the factory key sense wire to arm and disarm your factory alarm. Also it is a real pain in the butt to get the wire to go through the factory door boot.
  • Options
    i work at best buy and do these all the time, you can actually buy a bracketron (29.99) for your sirius unit and mount it to the right of the radio . it will come out between the dash and the radio and will look pretty good
  • Options
    does anyone know if you can use the navigation in the 05 mdx as a dvd also.
  • Options
    jocdocnhjocdocnh Member Posts: 2
    my wife has an 05 MDX which we both love and which has had zero problems EXCEPT I purchased remote starter from local reputable dealer who does tons of these. Starter worked fine for 18mos then stopped working. Shortly after, car started running battery dead. Acura dealer said, sight unseen, it is the starter. Aftermarket dealer put brand new starter in, battery ran dead again. Drain traced to starter. Disconnect starter and no battery drain. aftermarket dealer mumbling about problems with MDX and starters..anyone know anything on this? I'm about to have the starter put in my 95 Lexus instead. :mad:
  • Options
    I have a 2002, there was a common problem way back then that the MDX had a problem with remote starters. I don't remember specifics, but if you do a search here or on the web you might find some documents. I am fairly confident there was/is a problem with the truck and using remote starters. I say put it in the Lexus.
  • Options
    manny10manny10 Member Posts: 1
    Do the 2002 MDX dealer running boards fit new 2006 MDX?
  • Options
    www.hondaacuraworld.com if you are interested in accessories. You can check model years that the ones they sell fit.
  • Options
    love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    I am interested in adding some things on my newly leased MDX but I am not sure what I can add and what I can't add and how much "trouble" I'll be in if I add something "permanent". :P Of the popular accessories -- body side moldings, spoiler, cargo cover, etc -- what are the ones that would be "safe" for me to add? Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    mdchicago1mdchicago1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where to obtain wood trim (e.g., burlwood) to replace the zebra wood trim included in the 2006 MDX? A dealer is taking the position that it is not possible without an ill-fitting result. That doesn't sound like the right answer to me; any experience or insights would be appreciated.
  • Options
    miked3470miked3470 Member Posts: 25
    We looked at a base model 2006 MDX over this past weekend. They are still using the burlwood trim on the base model for 2006. The zebra wood trim is used on all touring models for 06. We actually prefer the zebra wood over the burlwood but will live with the burlwood, as we only really want the base model. I asked the dealer if we could switch it out with someone who wanted burlwood on their touring model. He just sort of laughed at that one!
  • Options
    adamk40adamk40 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2004 MDX with NAVI. I noticed that the voice commands do not work with the climate control or radio. Is there a software upgrade that addresses this? I believe my disc version is one of the 1.0 series.
  • Options
    talatu2talatu2 Member Posts: 4
    Is there anyone who knows whether it is possible to add a remote trunk opener to an MDX 2005?

talatu2
  • Options
    larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    I am considering buying a 2005 MDX without the RES. I would prefer to add two screens in the headrests of the front seats if possible. Has anyone out there done this and can you recommend a brand to install? Thanks for the help.

For what it's worth, we did head rest DVD in our last SUV and have the factory RES in our MDX. We MUCH prefer the factory unit. Headrests are to obvious to thiefs looking in a car and easy to steal. Also, not being fully integrated into our factory set up the after market DVD just never worked exactly right. I recommend going factory if you can.
  • Options
    seifseif Member Posts: 48
    what are people using to hook up their ipods if they did not get the acura ipod option?

curious what you think is best. i do not like itrip or any other "frequency" method
  • Options
    suunnyysuunnyy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Couple of questions:
    1: Can I upgrade or buy Navigation System for 2001? or upgrade the current LCD screen?

2: Is it difficult to instal Chrome side step bars? I found website from this forum and price is very good.
    http://truckparts411.com/showproducts.aspx?cid=2#category18

Thx
    Sunny
  • Options
    suunnyysuunnyy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Any luck getting answer? I have a same question. I checked with couple of tire shops and they told me I can only go as high as P245/65/17 on MDX. I wanted to instal P265, but I guess not unless I buy new wheels.

Sunny
  • Options
    mdx2bmdx2b Member Posts: 7
    Hi Folks, finally bought my 06 Touring with Nav & RES and really loving it though its only been a day!! I want to be able to watch sources other than the dvd or playstation. For anyone that is familiar with the Slingbox, can I utilize such a device in the vehicle? Is there any device that would allow for reception of an internet signal? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    What is a RES?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Rear Entertainment System. This is supposed to be a photo of one in a 2006 Acura MDX Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Entertainment System.

• Options
    I was investigating all sorts of ipod hookups. I tried the old headphone jack to tape deck adapter I had from years ago...it worked great, no hiss, sound was fine. Probably not audiofile quality, but at least as good as radio. If you can get one cheap, it might be worth the $10. I read mixed reviews of the radio frequency ones. I have a AC problem that if it requires the dash coming off, I might investigate a more permanent hookup.

Tires. I am fairly sure you can fit 265's on the rims. I had a trooper with 245's on it and went to 265 easily. 235 to 265 should be OK. You could always try 255's. The real issue is the height difference. Neither should be a problem. Getting a tire shop to install non-standard tires was the hardest part. They all give you a song and dance. Be advised...I had a transmission issue with my trooper and they fixed it 3 times (without any luck)...when they decided it was too much $$$ vs. warranty reimbursement they told me on the 4th time that I had non-standard tires and they won't talk to me again until I put standard tires on it...the same dealership who told me not to worry about tire size with respect to warranty...non-standard dealerships can hose you.
  • Options
    Thank you. This is my first MDX '05.
  • Options
    seifseif Member Posts: 48
    thanks for the response. i had the tape/headphone wire in my last set up....only problem now is my 2006 mdx does not have a tape deck otherwise i would be fine. it cost me $15 and was MUCH better than fm frequency units which lost the signal a lot.

thanks.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Blitzsafe makes various hook-ups for the MDX. Most connect through the port on the back of the CD changer. The fidelity is quite good, and it's cheaper than the Acura option. Quite a few owners have installed it themselves. There seem to be two major methods: the "not an ashtray" method (where one removes the slide-out drawer that says "not an ashtray" and slips the cable up tot he back of the changer), or, more drastically, by removing the unit itself and then plugging it in.
  • Options
    steve777steve777 Member Posts: 41
    I picked up my MDX touring this past weekend in NJ. I didn't get any accessories, however, now I'm thinking that I should get the side body molding to protect from parking lot dings.

Do you guys think this protects the car effectively? How much should I expect to pay? Thanks
  • Options
    tlove3tlove3 Member Posts: 4
    We are looking to replace our zebra wood trim with burlwood. Our dealer laughed at us also. Any idea where to get a OEM trim replacement in burlwood?
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    "I picked up my MDX touring this past weekend in NJ. I didn't get any accessories, however, now I'm thinking that I should get the side body molding to protect from parking lot dings.

Do you guys think this protects the car effectively? How much should I expect to pay? Thanks"

Side Body Molding, installed at the dealer, will run you around $265.00
    Purchase and install yourself, around $230.00

The only benefit to having the dealer install it is that it will carry the remainder of your car's warranty.

Personally, I think these are more for looks and serve almost no other purpose.
    They only protect from dings if the offending door has it's outer most point at the same exact height as your body molding.... the odds are slim.

If you like the looks, go for it. Who knows, it may protect the door once in it's life.
  • Options
    potofgoldpotofgold Member Posts: 11
    Scott - Do you think the side stpes offer better protection than the side moldings from dings. I have seen some MDSx that have no dings but did not have the moldings but had the side steps.
  • Options
    I suppose if they're mounted far enough out.
    The default mounting for those steps leaves them tucked into the car... meaning that they do not protrude out far enough to stop an offended door from hitting yours.

I'm thinking more on the lines of bubble wrap.
    Sure, it's not much too look at, but it offers fairly good protection. :P ;) :P
  • Options
    rfalkrfalk Member Posts: 4
    Anyone out there with experience on a good remote starter for a 2006 MDX? Also I would like to put a stainless steel step bar on it. Any recommendations? Thanks, bob
  • Options
    willbrook1willbrook1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering trading my 2003 MDX for a 06 model. Does anyone know if the chrome 'side-steps' are compatable between the 03 & 06 MDX models? Can't see leaving them in place since the dealer is already trying to 'low ball' me with the trade-in. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    If the dealer is 'low-balling' you, take them off anyway.
    Try to fit them onto the new 06 and if they don't fit, there's always E-Bay! ;)
  • Options
    i can tell you for a fact that this is B.S. I work at best buy and have installed remote starters in numerous mdx's and my wifes father has one on his 05 mdx and never had a problem
  • Options
    sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    Bought a new '06 MDX base model one month ago. Already found two dings - one on the hood and one on the left body side. I saw some of the previous postings mentioning Paintless Dent Repair. Is it DIY or a body-shop like service? Has anyone tried it? My dealer recommended Dent Wizard. Not sure which is better/cost effective.

Also interested in hooking up my Blackberry phone with the car. What accessories are needed to do this? How much is the approx. cost and how difficult is it to DIY?

Thanks in advance if anyone could share his/her experience.
  • Options
    mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    After 5 years, my 01 MDX had accumulated over a dozen dings. I was skeptical of the "paintless" repair process but decided to give it a try when one side of my truck was hit and I had to have "real" re-paint bodywork done.

I used Dent Masters, which is a franchise operation. I quizzed them about the process and they indicated that Honda was one OEM that used slightly thinner sheet metal that made their job easier and with better results. They explained that when they quote a job it is by panel - so each side would have 4 - "quarter"-panels - front fender/door/door/rear panel.(I assume the hood is treated as one panel) Depending on how many and how severe the dings, they quoted between $100 and $175 per panel. I could easily have spent $800 to $1200 with all my dings but settled on three passenger side panels and one driver's side panel for about $600. The rest of the driver's side was being repaired and three of those panels were being repainted (and being paid for by someone who had hit me in a parking lot).

The results of the paintless repairs were surprisingly good. Some of the dings were gone completely and where before you noticed a dinged door from 50 ft away - now it appears like new. (Under extremely close inspection you can probably locate some of the old ding locations)

I was in the same situation as you and started collecting dings within weeks of taking delivery...as the years wore on I had decided(rationalized) spending the money to get them fixed.....but to wait and do it (once) at about the 5 year mark. I have already taken a new ding or two (the MDX is a ding magnet) but I was pleased with my experience w/ the paintless dent repair. Be sure and get a recommendation on a facility in your area from someone else in the business in your area - like a dealer service technician or an autoglass company. Hope this helps. :D
  • Options
    sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    mecheng1,

Thanks for your advice. Maybe MDX is a ding magnet, or I am - I collected a dozen dings on our old car within a year of owning it.

I agree with you that I will probably hold off getting the two dings fixed now. They are not so serious and no one can guarantee when I will see new ones popping up. Since the service is charged more based on the panel, it is better to wait each panel to collect more dings to fix the problem. :D
  • Options
    mmariommario Member Posts: 7
    I searched in this forum but could not find anyone mention about Curry Acura online store. I purchased accessories from them couple weeks ago. They have reasonable price on accessories, and very fast shipping. Just want to share this with anyone who is looking for MDX accessories.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I purchased accessories from them couple weeks ago.

What did you get?

tidester, host
  • Options
    mmariommario Member Posts: 7
    I got the all-season mats and side steps. I think they have the lowest price on side steps, and it only took one day for them to ship the items to me. I guess that is because they are in New York and I am in Boston.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I guess that is because they are in New York and I am in Boston.

I am still impressed! Sometimes I pay for 1-day shipping and it still takes 2 to 3 days. :(

tidester, host
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr Member Posts: 9
    I am on the process of buying a 06 MDX. Do you think adding body side molding is a DIY job or I should get it from the dealer. It costs almost double from the dealer. Had anyone has any experienc about this. Thanks, :confuse:
  • Options
    The higher cost is because if the dealer installs it, it's covered under the car's warranty.
    They just stick on but the surface must be properly prepared, and they must be perfectly straight or they'll look aweful.
    If improperly installed, they will fall off.
    If you install them, you'll be buying them again.
    If the dealer installs them, they'll be covered under warranty.

Let the dealer install them....install the all-season floor mats yourself ;)
  • Options
    mdxmommdxmom Member Posts: 6
    Sorry if I am posting to the wrong Forum.
    I am looking to buy the 2007 MDX and want the best phone for Handsfreelink.
    Does anyone have experience with Handsfreelink in Canada? I understand the carrier has a lot to do with ease of use and what features and indicators are supported.
    I am currently with Telus but my contract is up in November and am looking to get a new phone (current phone does not have bluetooth).

Thanks

The PDF on the Canadian Acura site (Pdf last updated Aug 1, 2006) does not give any Carrier details or details on what functions are supported.

On the Handsfreelink site where you can enter your vehicle and carrier (Handsfreelink find index) the Canadian providers are not listed. When you select "other" only three phones come up.
    Motorola V500 - Best of the three, seems to only lack battery level.
    LG LG8100 - Mising Call waiting and 3 indicators. Telus only.
    Siemens S65/66 - Missing 3 indicators.
  • Options
    pythagpythonpythagpython Member Posts: 3
    Hey,

I am interested in buying a navigation screen protector, has anybody tried one of these? ClearGuardXP

Thanks for your input
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm leery of sites that don't say anything about how to physically contact them or where they are located. All they have is a generic email form and their site info is hidden by proxy walls. Looks like they are trying to hide something (like your money?).
This discussion has been closed.