2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have a set that are over a few years old. How careful were you on installation? Did you wear rubber gloves? Oil from human skin when on the bulbs themselves supposedly shortens bulb life significantly. Is it possible you installation method was not right to begin with?
  • Options
    mdx5mdx5 Member Posts: 3
    Folks, I live in Bay Area, CA and looking for Nude Bra for my MDX. Have anyone install a pre-cut Nude Bra? Know any shop do a good job with reasonable price
  • Options
    nini1nini1 Member Posts: 7
    hi i have a 2002 how can i add bluetooth???

Has anyone upgraded their Navi cd????? sometimes i cant find some places by name deos it mean i need to get a a new cd?? 2002 touring mdx..
    where and how much????
    thanks
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Has anyone gotten their 2005 MDX Homelink to program against Craftsman's (2004) openers? I can't get mine to learn.
  • Options
    nvnnvn Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know a place where I can buy the side step for an 04 MDX in Houston, TX. The Acura stock one cost a lot.

Thanks
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    try www.hondacuraworld.com.
  • Options
    I got mine from hondacuraworld.com for about $350. It took me 3 hours to install both. I had to buy a torque wrench ~$50 on top of the price. Check it out.
  • Options
    pharmxpharmx Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Just bought a used 2004 MDX and I want to install an aftermarket DVD system. Unfortunately, the couple of generic stores (Best Buy, C City) that I went to insist that I cannot use the existing Acura console (or even replace it) with an aftermarket system - they claim that I need to install the system elesewhere in the car which is ludicrous.

Has anybody installed one of these systems? (I'm not referring to the portable, i.e., Garmin, etc units).
  • Options
    jfl3jfl3 Member Posts: 2
    We're buying a 2005 base model MDX. We need a roof rack for skis, bikes, gear, etc. Should we have the MDX rack installed and then buy Thule or Yakima components or should we get the Acura components (we can get money off if we buy them at time of sale)? Or should we not get the Acura base rack installed at all and buy the whole Yakima or Thule setup instead? TIA for your help.
  • Options
    I would get the Factory rack. Shop at hondaacuraworld.com for accessories.

I have seen MDX's without the factory rack and a full thule, I think they look silly. Resale is also an issue...base models are not that hot, everybody wants touring...which comes with the rack.

If you get the base model I would either get the rack from the dealer, deal on price because you can get the real price from the above link...I would also consider installing it yourself...there are full instructions and the rack one looks fairly straight forward.

I put a $100 hitch on from Hiddenhitch.com, very easy, and use a rear mount bike carrier from Thule. It works great. I not been skiing since college, so I cannot comment on the rack for that purpose, but I have used my Thule Box Carrier on it, I had to drill a new hole to move the mounting position 3 inches, but other than that it was no issue.

My opinion...factory rack for roof and ski accessories, hitch for rear mount bike carrier.
  • Options
    jfl3jfl3 Member Posts: 2
    Thx. Here's another question: the dealer has narrow side molding strips to protect the doors but I see in hondaacuraworld what appear to be wider moldings for lower on the door. The dealer says they don't have those wide ones. What's the scoop?

Also, were you concerned about voiding the warranty when you installed the hitch yourself?
  • Options
    Don't know about the side strips...we didn't get them and have not (knock wood) had any issues with door dents.

I am not concerned about the self installation. There isn't much to it. If I ever have a transmission issue they could say I caused it by towing (even though I have not). I called the dealer and said I am adding a hitch and don't plan on towing or adding the tow package. I asked them if they would give me a song and dance about having a hitch and towing, etc. if I had a warranty issue, they said no.

Am I worried? Not really, since if a dealer doesn't want to honor a warranty claim they can find every excuse in the book not to. I have had a similar issue with Isuzu. My transfer case was having issues. They fixed it once, ignored it a second time, the third time they told me to take my truck home and they no longer wanted to see me/it, then they told me I had non-standard tires and that they wouldn't service it until I put OEM's back on.

My tires are only slightly wider (1/2") and really not any taller...they fixed it and didn't complain, until Isuzu started to go south fast, when they pulled out every excuse in the book to not fix it, finally saying I had aftermarket installs and they could not even begin to trouble shoot a transfer case problem with the wrong size tires.

I took it to an indepedent shop that came highly recommended and it 15 minutes he told me I had an electrical problem with the system. Something Isuzu could not find in 6 trips.

Anyway, dealerships will hopefully all be called into a class action lawsuit and made to pay for the overcharging, bad service, riping off customers, etc. over the last 30+ years and someday be made to pay for the injustice they dole out...so worried I am not. Hopefully someday when its time to pay-up, it won't be me.
  • Options
    leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Anyone put running boards w/lights on their MDX? None of the OEM side steps/running boards seem to be lit. I've seen aftermarket running boards with lights for the X, but didn't know if they were any good. If you have bought lit running boards, did you do the install yourself and how difficult was the wiring for the lights? Thanks.

leon
  • Options
    aas03haas03h Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 05 mdx and was very disappointed about the halogens. How/ where can i get the HID's
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Both thin (the older original) and wide (newer/current) BSM is available depending on the color. The thin BSM came out in '02 and is not available in some of the newer colors. Conversely the wide BSM is not available for the older colors; colors that overlapped the years should be available in both. I had the thin BSM on my old '01 and have the wide BSM on my new '04.
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I just bought a MDX Touring NAV/RES tonight. :) So now I'm wondering which accessories people have that they are glad they got, and which ones people bought that they are disappointed with.

I did get the all weather mats, cargo tray, and side molding as part of the deal.

I'm mainly wondering about the rear spoiler (does it help keep the back window cleaner longer?). And the sunroof wind deflector - does it serve a useful purpose?

Thanks
  • Options
    stx505stx505 Member Posts: 1
    try eBay:
    MDX Steps 2001-04 ACURA MDX & HONDA PILOT 2 SIDE STEPS Item number: 7976105994
  • Options
    I like the Chrome Steps - functional and they look good as well.

I highly recommend the moonroof deflector; w/o it you really can't open the moonroof above ~35 mph. However w/ it we can open it at speeds as high as ~65. BTW I used to own an '01 w/o the deflector and currently own an '04 w/ it (so I feel somewhat qualified to offer an opinion) :)
  • Options
    jnjbergjnjberg Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a '05 MDX Tour without Nav or Dvd and am interested in adding sidesteps and possibly an aftermarket dvd. I have read about the sidesteps and am pondering the diff between the manik's and ones at hondaacuraworld. The car is white and do not know whether black,satin chrome or chrome would be best---any ideas? Also would like info on the dvd---specifically if an overhead centermount is best or two headrest(driver and passenger) is best and where to buy?
    jnj
  • Options
    Acura OEM are a lot more sturdy than the Manik's. The OEM uses three mounting rails and when stepped on they will NOT sag or bow. I prefer the Chrome Steps and do not see a significant difference between the Satin or Bright Chromes. The MDX has trim that is both Satin and Bright, so either one will match. We have the Satin Chrome steps.
  • Options
    jnjbergjnjberg Member Posts: 2
    msu79gt82,
    You confirmed what I was thinking and thank you for replying. After reading some posts and some other site info, I started to think the Manik's were not as sturdy. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback. Having said that, it sounds like hondacuraworld is the best place to get the oem's? Also would appreciate any info on aftermarket dvd's from anyone?
    jnj
  • Options
    I have gotten all of my Acura accessories from hondacuraworld - a great trustworthy outfit. Be sure to download the install instructions. BTW the OEM steps have ~70 bolts; they are VERY sturdy!
  • Options
    marualmoyomarualmoyo Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased an 05 X and got the Westin chrome sidesteps from the dealer. Would anyone have any recommendations on how those fair
  • Options
    bbdbbd Member Posts: 3
    Try
    www.handa-accessories.com or www.hondacuraworld.com

Depending on which ones you want to buy. I paid $425 for the Satin Crome and got them put on at Gillman Acura in Houston. It cost $125, but I do hear they are very easy to install yourself and plus they send you the directions on how to install.
    But I don't do well with tools, so i left it to the professionals.
  • Options
    I purchased the body side molding and installed them myself. It's just a matter of removing tape and sticking them. You get a cardboard guide to make sure they go on straight. I was worried about the warantee myself, but the dealor told me it would not affect the warantee at all.
    So don't worry. Plus they are so much cheaper at sites www.hondacuraworld.com and www.handa-accessories.com
  • Options
    If your MDX was black I would definitely say go with the Satin Crome because that is what I did and my 04 MDX looks nice. Whatever you decide on the sidesteps, don't buy them from the dealorship because they charge $625, where you can get them from www.handa-accessories.com or hondacuraworld.com for $425 for the crome and less for the black.
    As far as the DVD, I recently add the all in one flip down monitor with built in DVD to mine and it looks and works great. However, you have to be very careful with the type of unit you purchase, the size and make sure you get the right installer. A lot of installers have a hard time installing the minitor and DVD seperates and the all-in-one units because of the sunroof. It is kind of complicated when dealing with a sunroof and trying to install a head unit.
    The easiest would be the head rest screens, however you will have the DVD player(which is seperate) mounted somewhere in the back of your vehicle. Whereas, if you went with the all in one up top, you wouldn't have to worry about that.
    I say go with the all-in-one and have the right person install it. The acura dealors don't even like to install them and most of them don't.

Good luck
  • Options
    mdx4wifemdx4wife Member Posts: 5
    carguy1234...
    Also interested in the mdx rear spoiler. Saw an mdx with one in a mall parking lot and thought it looked great. Probably provides very little or no function. Have you found any good quotes on price and installation? Lowest I found was $285 for the piece plus $160 to install. Live in So Cal. Think the installation is too high. Regards, mdx4wife.
  • Options
    Hi,

I decided against the rear spoiler since our back window is not getting that dirty very fast. I mainly wanted it if the window was going to get really dirty quickly like it did on our Sienna.

I'm going to get the FromFit air deflector from hondacuraworld and install it myself. That should help with my windshield getting so many bugs.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Just had the spoiler put on a couple weeks ago on my 2004 MDX. Looks much better!!! Takes the minivan edge off of the rear. Got it at hondacuraworld.com in Buffalo for $292. They had the best price - free shipping, but NYS tax (have to pay it anyway in NY). Had Curry Acura in Westchester install it for $99. I left the instructions in the back taped to the box...but did they paint the drill holes - who knows... Probably not... :-)

I have wide side molding (installed when new), cargo tray (from H and A Accessories.com - useful) and cargo net (H and A - very useful). I returned the cargo cover to H and A Accessories.com - it made an annoying squeaking/sticking noise. H and A picked it up and refunded the original shipping charge!! Very professional! They are excellent in my book. That's the way to run a business!!! Both of the above mentioned vendors are class acts.

Ralph
  • Options
    carusercaruser Member Posts: 12
    Hi, Otis123,
    one question, to install/place cargo tray or cargo net, is the third row seats reauired to be folded? Thanks
  • Options
    The cargo net is behind the 3rd row, so no problem.

The cargo tray covers the whole back area so it is in the way. It is flexible plastic so I think it can be bent to make room for the 3rd row in a pinch. I took it out to use the 3rd row seat.
  • Options
    edog11...
    Also looking to install a rear spoiler on my 05 mdx. What dealer did the work for $80? That is a great price! I am in So Cal. Please advise. If anyone else out there knows a dealer in my area that is reasonable, let me know. My quotes are $160-$200 on up. Install time is probably 1 hr. Thanks, mdx4wife...
  • Options
    lalocamarenalalocamarena Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my ´05 MDX from the brand new dealership in Mexico city,If you want it you have to pay 50k flat for it "absolutely no discounts".
    It is a tropicalized version of a touring model: It has DVD but lacks NAV, Tire Pressure Monitor, the Phone BlueTooth connectivity, XM radio.
    My question is Can I retrofit my MDX with all or some of the amenities mentioned above?
    Do you think it would be worth it?
    Thanks for the help!!
  • Options
    I think the NAV isn't offered in your location since there are not coverage maps for your area. At least not yet. It wouldn't be worth adding that I don't think. I don't think XM technically covers your area either. It isn't offered in Canada either, and I'll be up there in a few weeks so I'm interested to see if I get a signal up there. I really like the XM service.

As for the other things:

TPMS has been problematic so far for 2005. Many people are having false triggers (myself included). No big deal, but it isn't quite right yet. Different dealerships are doing different thing to resolve this, so I'm holding off getting it fixed until the fix is solidified.

I love the bluetooth, but have no idea if it the factory version can be retrofitted. There are aftermarket versions that are available, that in some ways are superior to the MDX version, since they can display name and number on incoming calls. The MDX implementation is simple, but works nice for me for making and receiving calls.
  • Options
    abovoabovo Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I are hopefully going to complete the purchase of our MDX this next week. So far we have decided on the cargo tray, cargo net, separation net (for our not so genius dog), wide body side molding, satin black side steps, and possibly the roof rack. I'd also like to eventually install the power steering and transmission coolers however I did notice the Ridgeline has some more heavy duty coolers installed OEM (maybe they would fit?).

I've done quite a bit of fabrication and modification so I could handle installing this stuff myself, any opinions on any of the accessories? I'm specifically looking for input on the separation net.
  • Options
    bpaysenobpayseno Member Posts: 2
    For cosmetics, the fender flares really make your MDX stand out from the others on the roads. The body side moldings are a must for protection and the cargo cover adds security. We went without the rear spoiler and have not noticed any disadvantage. Of course, we do mostly city driving and these options made sense for us. I didn't get the cargo net because I felt I could get it cheaper at an OEM site and plan to get one soon.
  • Options
    rikwynnrikwynn Member Posts: 3
    I installed the Tailgate Spoiler (not the wind deflector) myself last night. ('04 NAV+ENT) model. Took maybe an hour. Bought it on the web for $275 vs. $510+ installed by the dealer. Looks great and was easy to do. Drilled 6 holes and everything fit great. Detailed instructions are on the web too.
  • Options
    rikwynnrikwynn Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know how to remove the Acura factory roof rack bars. Never use them and I want to take them off.

Thanks.
  • Options
    murrsmanmurrsman Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if it made a big difference if I got an aftermarket towing package instead of getting it from Acura when I buy my new MDX. It is an $800 option from Acura and I was hoping to save a few bucks. Thanks.
  • Options
    There are covers on the 4 mounting brakets that expose the bolts that attach the rack to the roof (note the cover is on the outside of the bracket). Remove these covers and unbolt the rack. Each bracket (4 total; 2 on each side) has two bolts for a total of 8. These bolts are welded to the roof and lie in channels about 1/2" or so deep.

Once the rack is removed you will need to cover the exposed channels with molding that runs the full lenght of the top (as opposed to the 3 piece set you now have). This is the same molding that covers the channels in the MDX Premium. More than likely you will break some of the roof molding clips when removing the old molding so you may need some of those as well (they may come with the molding, I am not sure).

This is not a difficult task; I removed the rack from my old '01 - you will need those channel covers, which I got from dealer. Also the bolts are Torx (#30 I think).
  • Options
    Rikwynn, thanks for the reply. Found a dealer in my area that will install it for $51. Had them re-check the labor price 3 times to verify. At that price, hard to pass up. Regards, mdx4wife.
  • Options
    bortkevbbortkevb Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking to install trailer hitch, which I'd use mainly for bike attachment (3 bikes at least). While hitch with installation would cost around $200, dealers insist that I need to install full Tow package - $800. they said hitch by itself might void transmission warranty since there is no coolers for transmission (2 required).

Does anybody know if it's true ?
    Any hitch/bike attachments recommendations.

Thank you.
  • Options
    paydaddypaydaddy Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same situation. I was told by our salesman that if used only for a bike rack, a hitch shouldn't pose any warrantee problem even w/o the coolant system upgrade. Since the hitch itself (at least the one I am going to put on)is rated to 3500 lbs, this all depends on Acura believing me that I am not doing any other towing.
    I am leaning towards just going for it and getting the hiden hitch w/o towing package. (I just bought a '05 2 weeks ago).
  • Options
    I added one, hiddenhitch.com. Very affordable. ABout $100 +/- . My dealer said the hitch wouldn't void the warranty as long as I didn't tow. I only use it for a bike rack.

They can void your transmission warranty for just about anything. If the dealer wants to they can deny almost any claim...or even just refuse to work on it and send you on your way.

If you are already getting the runaround from the dealer about warranty, I would think twice about adding a hitch without the towing package until you call another dealer and get an OK...then start using them for service instead.

Hitch - Hiddenhitch.com - self install - very easy
    Rack - Thule - carracksdirect.com - I have the 996, it is pretty good.
  • Options
    mdxmangtamdxmangta Member Posts: 12
    Did anyone notice that on www.hondacuraworld.com there are two types of molding one is described as wider and other is narrower. Wider is slightly higher price.
    What is the difference and are they really for previous year model or do we have both options for 2005. I don't see two different options on the Acura site or on dealers option lists.
  • Options
    Did anyone notice that on www.hondacuraworld.com there are two types of molding one is described as wider and other is narrower. Wider is slightly higher price.
    What is the difference and are they really for previous year model or do we have both options for 2005. I don't see two different options on the Acura site or on dealers option lists.

Not only noticed but have bought both types. The thin BSM is indeed a legacy from the 2002 model year. The wide BSM was introduced in 2004. For those colors that span the years both were made, the owner would indeed have a choice of two BSMs; however not all colors have this option.

FWIW - I prefer the wide BSM. We had the thin BSM on our old '01 Mahagony and we have the wide on our current '04 Sage Brush. :shades:
  • Options
    mdxnowmdxnow Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 MDX and am looking to get a DVD installed. I am in NJ and will appreciate any positive experience you have had with a local company. .
  • Options
    qrtlowqrtlow Member Posts: 13
    I just bought my 2004 MDX Touring model from a private seller and got a really smoking deal on it. I wanted to cut out the middle-man and saved on tax and markup. It had everything i wanted except the rear spoiler so I went online and found literally hundreds of sellers from online parts stores. They ranged from $189-$375 painted or unpainted. I called my local Acura dealership to get his opinion and he said he would make my decision easy and sell me an original factory one in Nighthawk Black for $300 to end his month on parts sales. I said Sold!
    He printed out the installation instructions and I took it home. It was beautiful. Made in Japan from injection molding not fiberglass (I didn't know what to expect from an on-line knock-off). If you look at the perfect black paint in bright sunlight you will notice Acura added some blue metal flakes in the black paint, just like the body.
    If you are a do it yourselfer save on installation, this one was easy. The Acura step-by-step instructions are thorough and very thought out. It recommends you start with a 3mm drill bit and work up to an 8mm. It was exactly 8mm to get the bolts in. Be sure to use silicone on the drilled holes for rust prevention. I didn't buy it for function, this baby was like you said, "to take the mini-van edge off the back". It looks hot! :)
  • Options
    fish2575fish2575 Member Posts: 23
    Just a note on the cargo tray. We have a dog and got the cargo liner instead. It completely covers all of the surfaces in the cargo area except the windows. Thus no dog hair on the backs of the seat. Plus it is not slippery like the cargo mat so that your dog isn't sliding all over the place. Something to consider.
  • Options
    Much better, isn't it. Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.