Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• ekharekhar Posts: 4
    I'm getting my MDX on Sunday.. Dealer installed the sidesteps for $529. I was going to buy them for $445 and do it myself. But at $529, why?
    oh.. and I got nice $1600 discount of MSRP
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I agree. I got mine for $349 on sale at hondacuraworld...so I saved a lot (my dealer wanted $700) and took 3-4 hours to install. I would probably do the same thing. I think $80-100 is reasonable for the effort involved.
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Posts: 79
    Anyone actually installed one? part & price#? How about the aftermarket wiring harness; the hondacura one is too expensive at $57. Install tips for both? TIA
  • piaa2001piaa2001 Posts: 10
    I ordered my accessories from Tim for my 2003 MDX and can't wait to install them.
    I saved over $1,100.00 vs what my local dealership wanted for the same items. Dealer accessory prices are ridiculous in prices!!

The accessories ordered were:

Lower Trim kit painted midnight blue
    Moonroof Visor
    Cargo cover
    Rear Tailgate Deflector painted midnight blue
    Body Side Molding

Do not order from anyone else but Tim, he was very helpful and gave me a discount on the painted items

Now all I have to do is wait for the MDX to arrive on the 18th!!!!

Piaa2001
  • onelgsonelgs Posts: 38
    What were your prices for each item? And, WHO is Tim? (hondacuraworld???)

If you'd rather email me, please do at L79D@aol.com

Thanks!

Lidia
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    www.hondacuraworld.com sells Honda and aftermarket accessories at good prices, with excellent service. Tim runs the parts department and the online parts and accessories business. Good guy, I've bought a number of items from him and have always been happy.

Most of the accessories aren't too hard to install by yourself.
    Thinking of using 255/55/18 or 255/50/19 during fair weather and keeping the oem for winter - handling should be improved but 50 series might be too harsh. Any experiences?
    For performance or looks? I think the Michelins 17" are pretty good. If I did anything I would actually go the other direction and get 16" for improved winter/offroad ride. i.e. I might someday want to take it to the beach (my Isuzu does fine now) but the 17" tires are not very good offroad in aired down situations.
    Wider/lower profile for looks and performance. I dont understand the logic behind going to 16 for winter.
    More aired down conditions, but if I am buying a more aggressive tire it would be dual purpose. That is a big IF. The abuse my trooper takes offroad and the overall amount of sand it takes on makes me very wary about taking the MDX anywhere close to the same spots. Just my opinion regarding tires...if I were to add any, I would add 16" to improve that end of performance.
    FYI #70545 ($99.95) & wiring #18336 (25.20) from etrailer.com. Any experiences with this model rack or the 934?
  • dorene1dorene1 Posts: 75
    We had the sunroof/moonroof visor installed, and feel it is very effective at eliminating the draft we felt before, also makes it quieter.

Also installed rear wind deflector (we call it a spoiler) just for looks - we didn't have it painted, especially because we see an older gold MDX with painted fender flares that are very scuffed. When I talked with Tim at Hondacura, he honestly said that there was no way to guarantee the durability of aftermarket paint.We like the black on sandstone metallic look, so we didn't feel badly about the paint issue.

Dealers are starting to match parts prices with internet sites. We paid a little more than hondacura, but were able to get a lower install rate by buying parts at the dealer and using their coupon. We'll buy other accessories from Tim.

We got the side mouldings when we purchased the vehicle, and they've taken some stress without chipping or denting. The paint on these is factory, and doesn't seem to have the chipping factor. The paint was a perfect colormatch to our car. Good investment for the cost, and we like the look.

Re: 04 hands-free phone - does anyone know if it will be available to earlier years, or is it factory installed? Thanks!
    Has anyone used the acura roof mount bike rails? How sturdy are they? Do the bikes sit perpendicular to the ground or slanted? Would you recommend them?
    Upon further research, I think I am going to put a hitch on and get a rear mount bike rack. I like the option to carry 4 bikes.

I am going to get a hiddenhitch about $100, and a thule 996 expressway rack about $230.

The only issue now is whether or not to put the towing package in or not? I don't think so and my dealer also confirmed it? Any opinions?
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    If you're not going to tow, you don't need the towing package. Though there has been some concern expressed over whether or not a future warranty claim could be contested by Acura if they see a hitch on your vehicle without a manual-recommended tow package. Haven't heard of any such case, though, and it's probably unlikely.

The tow package does include a transmission cooler (as well as a steering cooler) that does help the vehicle regardless of whether or not it's towing.
    I ordered my hitch rack from outdoorsports.com...no shipping, no tax. Ordered it on Monday, it came in Tuesday afternoon.

The hitch is another story so far. I ordered it from etrailer.com...a new online vendor for me. The order has been processed, but no details regarding shipment. When I called to get further status they said they would have to check to see if it was back ordered? When I ordered I asked if it was an in stock item...and they said yes. Not a huge deal, but I was hoping to get a Monday-Friday turnaround on both items. If it is back ordered, I will cancel and get it from somewhere else.
    Got my hitch yesterday afternoon 30th - IIRC, the order was placed the 18th and received an email that it would take 24-48 hrs to ship but the order did not actually ship until the following Friday 25th. Still boxed, no time to look or mount it yet.

The Thule, I ordered from a local sports store for $234 including tax which co-incidentally arrived yesterday as well. I'll probably pick it up today or tomorrow.

I'll try to mount the hitch/wiring this weekend.
    I didn't order the wiring harness. Are you planning on towing or just adding it to be thorough?

I am going to call Hondacuraworld to see if I can get the towing package separate from the hitch setup they offer.

I may have missed it, but do you have or are adding the towing package? I missed your earlier post #103 and didn't realize we were ordering the same setup until today.
    No towing plan for this one(Trooper gets the nod for that) but I have a cargo basket that have lights so might as well install the wiring.

I don't see why one can't order the coolers seperately but ya never know. Keep us posted. If price is reasonable enough, I might get 'em as well.

The stealers installed accessories are way too much(at least at my dealer) where they charge $1295 for the sidesteps.
    I got quoted today...about $350-$360 for the coolers...my dealer said they would install it for roughly $540 all included (coolers and labor).
    player and monitor(s), anybody using one? Brand/screen size? The shop that installed the pioneer dvd, clarion & audiovox monitors in my truck has replacement headrests(driver & front pass) with 7" monitor for the MDX. Includes the normal stuff, wireless headphones, monitors have input for same/diff games etc. Another alternative is the single monitor by the dome light, same setup as oem.
    He can also feed the video onto the navigation screen. I'll try to see him next week to actually see the products.
    We bought an panasonic DVD-LV70. True 5 hour battery and great function. We put it on the fold back center console on road trips. We can also take inside and hook it up to most TVs while on the road. I absolutely love it, no problem with sound, we even hook it into the stereo with a cassette wire for fun sometimes. As the kids get older, we can give them headphones.

I chose a portable unit so that we would only use it on long trips...and wouldn't have kids pointing at the screen and saying "now, now, now" on shorter trips.

The drawback is that you cannot really see it from the 3rd row. However we rarely use the 3rd row, and when we do it is only on short trips.
    Mine is due in next Tuesday. Pinoy I am interested in your luck this weekend. I am also trying to figure out if I can either relocate or get longer bolts so I can put the tow hook back on?
    I installed the hitch this weekend without any issues. Basically, you have to remove the tie down bar, and then mount and bolt (3 each side) the unit. I used a pair of jack stands and a floor jack to hold the hitch while I screw in the bolts. It is easier to tighten the bolts if you have an extention. It is a bulky unit and not completely hidden compare to the one I previously had on my other truck. I believe I am also missing a plastic cap on one of the ends. I wonder who makes the oem one and how exactly they look. I did not have time to look into the wiring yet.

Why do you want to keep the tie down bar? The hitch can function as a towing point by using the hitch pin or using a D ring attached to it. I'm sure you can get longer bolts if you really want to keep 'em since there is no other place to mount that bar.
    It sounds like it is a 2 man job? I have a floor jack and stands, but it might be faster with someone helping?

I guess you are right about the d ring or pin. So it isn't as "hidden" as other hidden hitches? Are you happy with how it turned out?
    Since you have the stands and jack, a helper would just be a bonus - makes the process quicker.

Compare to the ones I had on the Trooper which was completely hidden where you could only see the hitch hole, this one is not. The look is not bad from the rear tho.I'm little bit disappointed on the side view where some of the metal also shows(I might have a friend's garage trim the plate if possible). I need to see how the oem looks to really make my final opinion.
    isn't as much fun as finding something "better" and doing it yourself.

My hitch arrives tomorrow! Thursday install.
    The jack stand info was invaluable. It made it much easier. Overall it really only took about 1/2 hour to install...except I had some problems.

I ordered 2 hitches, one for me and the other for a friend with a MDX. I got the hitch on, but the last hole for the bolt on the non-muffler side was off by almost 3/4 of an inch. The bracket must have gotten bent somewhere? I first tried loosening all the bolts, pulling it into position, but no luck. So I tried the second one, it fit perfectly.

I called etrailer...they will ship a replacement, but they wanted me to try to bend it back into position first...haha...I told them I tried a little but it was more than I was comfortable doing since this is supposed to support a lot of weight, be new, easy fit, etc.

I am waiting for a call back to iron out the details of getting a replacement. If it all goes smooth, I won't have any gripes, I just hope they don't give me the runaround.
    Well after much research, it seems like bending the bracket into position is actually a reasonable solution. From all the checking I have done, it is very common for these to get bent in shipping or in the warehouse? With very little effort I was able to bend it back 1/8"? "They" say it is easy to bend when off the truck, but when mounted it will not? So my friend is going to try to mount it this weekend.
  • aaron65aaron65 Posts: 1
    I am taking delivery of my new touring MDX tomorrow. I had three conversation w/3 dealers and Acura HQ about metal brush guards (those black or chrome front and rear steel bumpers popular on SUVs). Manhattan Acura has them on display on a floor model ($1695, installed). They look nice, have the Acura logo, are frame-mounted and would do a great job protecting bumpers. Paragon Acura informed me that they do not do this, it would void the warranty and impede operation of the airbags. Dealer #3 (somewhere in Westchester) said they don't even bother with this item, you can get it done aftermarket elsewhere. Acura HQ said that these are not Acura parts and that they do not express any opinion about aftermarket parts AND to read my warranty before I take any actions......

Manhattan Acura told me all of the above was not true (except that these are aftermarket).

Anyone know?

Has anyone had any experience w/this?
This discussion has been closed.