Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I had the same issue with a loan from VirtualBank.com. The dealer gave me a hard time. I told them to cash the check and I would be back in 3 days when it clears...they then offered me a lower rate to get the business. I don't think it is because of bad experience, but rather they make a decent amount of money doing the financing.
  • Just paid for my 2003 black mdx and almost bought the fender flare package for 770 but decided against it because it makes the car look like the new 4runner with the ugly plastic.

Found the steel version at hondaacuraworld and wondered if anyone put them on.
    1. How does it look (solid or cheap)
    2. How easy/hard was it to put on?

I would like something on the wheel area to avoid dings (black paint and all).

I did get them to put on the side moldings to avoid nasty door dings. They also through in matts, pet divider and rear cargo mat.
  • will4271will4271 Posts: 187
    I have brought the Body Side Molding. In addition, I order the running boards but when it arrived it was the side steps. Initially, I was going to return it but after looking it over, I stayed with it. This is also from Hondaacuraworld.

The side steps actually looked more "cool". It's quite easy to install if you have 2 hrs and a racket and wrench.
  • There is a site called hondaacuraworld.com....honestly it is the BEST site in the world for accessories!! The guy who runs it, Tim, is pretty close to a God, honestly. His prices are amazing, and shipping is always free. You get your accessories very quickly, along with detailed instructions on how to install. I've heard from hundreds of people about how fast, easy, and just all-around GREAT Tim and this site are. For example, side steps are $626 MSRP, but he charges $430 or something for them. Everyone I know who has an X has bought their accessories from this website....don't buy anything from your dealer, just go straight to Tim :) I'm ordering a few for my '03 MDX this week.
  • mkligmklig Posts: 2
    I'm just on the verge of ordering an '03 MDX touring with nav (probably a lease). I'm an avid windsurfer and need to carry alot on top. I've always fitted out my previous vehicles (mostly Saabs and lastly an RX300) with the appropriate thule rack system. Even on the RX300 I was able to take off the factory rack and place the appropriate thule foot in the factory track. I was depressed to read SIDESHORE'S concerns re: the limited options with the thule system. I spoke to my dealer who said they cannot take the factory rack off. Is this true?? and if so does this mean I will have ugly door jam footers for the rack with thule crossbars and still have the factory rack?? Seems rediculous. Does anyone have a clean solution to the problem? I've never used Yakima but would be willing if there was some way to get a straight cross bar utilizing the existing track. Help !!! SIDESHORE - did you come up with anything yet???
  • Why don't you just get the base model MDX, it does not come with a roof rack so can install your own.
    I have ordered from them quite a few times also. But they do not have the secure order in place. I ask them to put that secure order (key lock indicates if your order is secure on your web browser). It safer to call then and to do the purchase transactions than on their website. Without the secure ordering, you credit card info can stolen when some stiffs out the packets.

Also, look for Tim. I had ordered running boards and got side steps from another salesperson at the shop. But I am happy with the side steps too.

They have lots of products for all Acura/Honda besides the MDX. Overall, I'm satisfied with their service and the condition where the products arrive.
  • Have anyone brought and install a MDX running board from Honda acura world? I am wondering how differcult the installation is? Did it involve any drilling or are the brackets bolted into exixting tapped holes? I read the instructions online, but didnt really say. Lastly, how much was shipping and handling?
    The rack issue is tough. I think the best solution would be to find a way to mount the Thule Bars to Acura rack, but there doesn't seem to be many options. However you can use accessories specifically made for the Acura stock rack...hondaacuraworld.com

Running boards were very easy to install. Time consuming though about 3-4 hours total. I went out and bought a torque wrench for the project, which is now an added bonus any time I need one. The savings were so huge through Hondaacuraworld, it was awesome! No drilling, everything just bolted in. There was no shipping charge and they got to me in about 3 days.
    The running boards and side step have initially the same frame but different pieces on the top. There are many bolts. But the installing is very simple.

Check out hondaacuraworld.com website on the instructions.

Read the info very carefully, it should do it.

I didn't install the rack but reading the instructions you have to be careful not to scrap the paint.
  • Thanks sbcooke, thats good info about the running board. So let me get this right. The holes that the brackets bolts onto are pre drill and tap by acura underneath the door. And I need a metric torque wrench right??
    Check the instructions, they are very complete. All you need is 2 sockets (or a socket and a wrench). The instructions are wrong, I think it says an 11 MM and a 13 MM socket/wrench, you need 2 of the same, I believe 13, but I can't remember exactly. Other than that the instructions are right on the money. I believe 1/2 if not all of the holes on the underside have plastic plugs that are easy to remove by pushing the center in and then prying them out.

When installing it says to only tighten the frame attachments 3 or 4 turns...it seems wrong and I turned them about 1/2 way in, only to have to go around and loosen them up...this allows the board to be installed, then you tighten them up. The instuctions are right for this, instinct is what screws you up.

Definitely a great DIY project, all bolts and you will like the results. You need a torque socket wrench, if you want. 24 Nm is about 1/2 a turn past tight...I justified the cost (about $60 for a good craftsman) by how much I saved buying them online and doing them myself.
    yes...it's 13mm socket/wrench. You can get the instructions at hondaacuraworld.com, if you haven't yet?

It's a pdf printable file.
    Has anyone put a rear tallgate reflector on themselves, or had one added to their MDX?

I notice that even while driving the rear window gets rear window gets rain on it. I am hoping to add a deflector and keep the window clear while driving. Does the air deflector alleviate that? Does the change in air flow effect driving?

I think the controls for the rear wiper could use improvement also. It is ok for one time use, but not many times in a row.
  • I own a MDX with the air deflector, or tailgate spoiler as Acura calls it. It was dealer installed. The tailgate spoiler does help a bit with visbility in back window, very little, but one would still need to use the rear wiper. The tailgate spoiler is mostly cosmetic and its other function is to keep dirt off the rear window, which doesn't work that well either. The 03 comes with intermittent rear wiper which comes in handy, not sure if the 02 has that.
    Thanks for the feedback. The '02 has an intermittent wiper, I just don't like leaving it on.

I have also noticed that when you use the washer or clean the rear window at gas stations, muddy dirt gets on the rim below the glass and the tailgate.
  • Yea, I have that same problem with the muddy dirt on the rear window rim, even with the tailgate spoiler lol.
  • How hard was it? Would you do it again or pay the dealer $850?
  • miksmiks Posts: 33
    Fender flares came in either 10 or 12 pieces(can't remember). Does the $850 include paint? My dealership was less but added money for paint. Still was less then your amount. The paint matched the vehicle and you couldn't tell it wasn't factory installed. With paint it looked as though that's how the vehicle comes.
    The fender flares looks good but looking at other website on the problems that people had ran into, I have decided to skip it.

I heard that not all the pieces fit that well.
    The ones I saw fit nicely! They were placed on by the dealership. The pieces were lined up perfectly. After looking at them very closely it appeared to me that only someone very familiar with the process ought to attempt the installation. I've been reading where many attempt installation of after market options but once I looked at how meticulous someone must be in order to correctly install the fender flares I was amazed anyone would try it themselves. Are the only problems you've heard of related to placement and that they didn't fit well? Please let me know if you read something additional. Thanks, Miks
    I think if you ask the dealer to install them or someone familar with the installation, you should be okay.

The user on another site mention that he had to trim the edges a little near the mud guards to get a good fit. I have decided to pass on it.
    I really wish you could have seen what I saw! They looked really awesome. I had actually decided to pass on them until I saw them painted and on. I must admit I can see where he had some difficulty with placement. But painted they really looked awesome! Thanks for the info. Miks
  • Hello,

Does anyone out there know if the Acura DVD Entertainment system can read a DVD-R ?

I would like to know if I should start converting all our VHS tapes onto DVD-R so that we can watch them on the road.

To be technically correct, I am asking if the Acura system can play a "DVD Video" that was written on "DVD-R" disk.

Nearly all consumer home DVD players, $79 and up, support this. But considering the Acura audio CD player doesn't read MP3, I'll ask...

Thanks!
  • does anyone know where I can order a "nudge bar" (aka pre-runner)? My wife really wants one for her MDX and I cannot find one on the net.
  • slockoslocko Posts: 107
    i find the sound on the 2002 non touring mdx atrocious. the speakers in my 2002 honda ody sound better and that is only because i spend a lot of time driving the mdx. I remember not being overly impressed with the ody speakers before I got the mdx.

Now I hear a big difference between the mdx speakers and the ody speakers. The ody speakers seem to produce better bass.

I am wondering if any one has replaced their stock speakers or know of a website that covers mdx mods.

thxs.
  • inky4inky4 Posts: 238
    lots of stuff there about speakers etc. I upgraded for small cost. Big improvement.
    INKY
  • Has anyone purchased the Lower Trim with the piece painted to match your MDX color?
    HondaAcuraWorld.com is offering to do this at a cost of $125.00
    I am curious is the color matched the same?
    I am sure it must look better than the ugly grayish color that comes standard!
    I don't know how good or bad the painted products are from Hondaacuraworld. I do know the dealership here paints accessories in their body shop and they are a perfect match. I am getting the fender flares to match the vehicle. I have seen the work of the dealership and it is identical! A wonderful job.
  • I'm ordering an new MDX with a nav system and am considering whether to get the DVD as well. I am wondering about several things:
    1. Do the necessary extra DVD controls result in compromises in the other dash controls? Do they get overly complex, or overly simplified?
    2. Are there any concerns about moving the CD changer to under the driver's seat (which is necessary when both the nav and DVD is installed).
    3. Does the DVD player interfere (or take the place of) any overhead lighting?
    Thanks for any input!
This discussion has been closed.