Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    I can only report that I've driven two HL's and both had the "problem." I wonder if there's a possibility your 04 HL was built before the drive by wire system was being installed. Anything in your owner's manual?
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I dunno. My manufactured date is 01/04.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    On my '01 you can look above the gas pedal under the dash and see where the cable enters the cabin and attaches to the pedal. I imagine on a fly-by-wire HL a variable resistor or something would be attached to the pedal along with an associated wire harness.

On rare occasions my '01 exhibits hesitation and thus I don't think it's caused by the introduction of fly-by-wire (too lazy to check previous posts but thinking other pre '04 owners experienced the problem too), although its possible the problem is exasperated by the introduction of fly-by-wire.
  • Options
    Also, I test drove an '04 when it first came out and didn't notice any difference in acceleration-related issues (I did notice right off however the increased power of the newer 3.3 V6), so I think the issue is rooted in the driving characteristics of the driver rather than the vehicle itself (though this is only a theory and I don't rule out that there indeed is a difference between HLs, possibly linked to the "brain" of the system learning driving habits and "adjusting" vehicle performance). These driving characteristics may be too complex to sufficiently document here in order to reproduce the problem consistently.

I remember in the first days of driving the HL that I found its shift points to be somewhat awkward and acceleration a little sluggish, and I adjusted my driving habits to compensate and eventually it became a subconscious act. Others may have different expectations in how a vehicle should respond and may be less tolerant of its idiosyncrasies.

At any rate there apparently is a fix for the RX330, so it's a real problem that Toyota is aware of.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    to concentrate on the differences, hesitation or not.

FWD vs AWD..

I4 vs V6...

For those of you experiencing hesitation, COLD engine/transmission?
  • Options
    wilwil Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 FWD V6 has the dreaded hesitation as well. I can reproduce it by slowing to 10-20mph then accelerating. Test drove another 05 FWD V6 at the dealer and it does it too. Doesn't get too cold where I live, but engine/trans temp doesnt seem to matter. Tried different grades of gas and doesn't seem to matter either. However is worse if coasting downhill at slow speed, and seems to be related to engine/trans load or lack of. I also found the hesitation is worse the quicker i depress the accelerator...at first I thought it was stalling, but then realized it was hesitation.

I swear it feels like it's either in neutral or some high gear like 3rd or 4th when it happens, the engine rpm's spin up from about 1000 to nearly 2000 before the trans engages abruptly. The hesitation occurs in that 1000 to 2000 rpm range where I think the computer brain is trying to figure out what to do then it finally finds the lower gear and goes. I wonder what will make Toyota fix this, at least for the models affected. Will it take a few injury lawsuits or a class action lawsuit? It is a very real and dangerous problem.
  • Options
    bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    I don't want to loose this thread. There are too many of us having this problem to let it go and we are getting new members everyday that might not be aware.

So file a complaint if you are experiencing the hesitation problem with the '04 Highlander here;
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "secure submissions" and fill out the simple form. When you get towards the end of filling out the form, you'll be asked the component. Click/highlight "POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION." Some have posted under "VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL" so file where you want.

Thanks

BTW, you can review all submissions on this topic by also clicking on the above link and selecting "search" under Complaints then "vehicle" under "type" then year, make, model, component, etc....
  • Options
    my own experience with my 01 RX300 I'm quite certain that the transmission is being shifted into neutral, or at least some "gear" that creates less engine drag during coasting or coastdown.

I don't have any hesitation issues, just prematurely "burned" transmission fluid.

Simply verifying wil's statements.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I don't have the hesitation problem (knock on wood), but I recommend that those of you who do try filing a complaint with the Center for Auto Safety (www.autosafety.org).

There are a lot of oil sludge complaints there for the Highlander, but none for the hesitation issue as yet.

If CAS receives enough of them, the organization may be able to take some action. CAS claims to have "used consumer complaints to obtain recalls and make auto and tire companies take responsibility for their defects and lemons."
  • Options
    bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Great idea...

So, besides filing a complaint at;
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Also file one at;
    http://www.autosafety.org
    Click on "File/View Complaints" and fill out the simple form.

Thanks hmurphy! :-)
  • Options
    3912039120 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Highlander 4Cy with 70000
    Both check engine / VSC warning lights on. Have been told to take it to the dealership. Since you had this problem, how was it fixed.

Terry
  • Options
    lxjjielxjjie Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem at 55,000 miles. mine is 2001 limited V6.

some previous posts show that a loose vacuum hose might be the reason. So I tight it myself couples of times, but the light was still on for about a week.

during that week, I was changing the coolant for the first time, and couples of days later, the check engine/VSC light was off. everything back to normal and never happened again. I can't tell any difference when the light is on or off.

I guess there might be a sensor to tell that coolant needs to be changed and that generate error on Check Engine/VSC light? Could it be?

try search by "engine light" in this forum, you will find all the information about loose vacuume hose issue. Good luck.
  • Options
    leighanne4leighanne4 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you so much for this new address. I have just filed a complaint at autosafety.org. I have completed the arbitration process and was denied because 'Toyota should repair under warranty'. I will pursue this until all options are exhausted including lemon laws and class action lawsuits. If anyone is going to go the arbitration process please use all avenues available and this should include having an independent mechanic verify the problem and have it notarized for presentation to the arbitrator.
    There are several other things which I wasn't aware of until after the fact but documentation and spend as long as it takes in the 'drive test'
    to make sure the arbitrator has a full knowledge of what this car is doing. They will assume it is hesitating from stop to start rather than cutting out in the 20 to 30 mph range. In other words ....Be Specific and use the time to your benefit.
  • Options
    leighanne4leighanne4 Member Posts: 15
    They do not acknowledge but insist this is a characteristic of design, Toyota's words..not mine. I won't let my 19 yr old drive mine either because it is a sporadic hazzard. Please
    follow up with complaints to every agency listed in previous posts and any other you might know of.
    I am in the process of beginning to write to Consumer magazines, groups, etc to stop the Toyota hype and prevent them from continuing to
    bamboozle unsuspecting customers.
  • Options
    You might have an uphill battle with at least one of the consumer magazines. Consumer Reports just released the results of a wagons vs. Highlander road test, and Highlander was the winner. It's highly recommended by CR. There was no mention of experiencing any hesitation during the road test.

When I had a ton of brake problems with my new Honda Accord (and lots of other owners had them, too), I wrote to Consumer Reports about it, and they simply directed me to the NHTSA to file a complaint.

I don't want to put a damper on your efforts... I'm just relating my experience.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    I see a number of advisories about posting alledged complaints at subject website.
    It has been shown many times that it is possible to register complaints there without any authentication whatsoever.
    Be advised that none of the complaints there are verified, and it's easy to log a complaint without a legitimate E-Mail address.
    A similar situation exists at the NHTSA site, where acomplaint can be logged, but it doesn't mean there has been any authentication of that complaint, nor does it mean that any e-mail addresses are legitimate.
  • Options
    Autosafety.org does require a VIN number in order to register a complaint.

None of the complaints I've seen there seemed ludicrous or suspicious, but I guess you have to take everything with a grain of salt. If someone complained of vehicle demon possession, that would be one thing, but I haven't seen anything like that. Yet :-)

Since the people here will undoubtedly be registering legitimate complaints, I don't see any cause for concern.
  • Options
    Yes, the site does ask for a VIN No. but if you peruse complaints you will note there are duplicates with different names being used. I did a quick sort on one duplicate I saw, and found 4 earlier complaints with the same VIN. This tells me that some people are manipulating the system for less than honorable reasons. It also tells me that no one at autosafety.org is verifying any complaints being filed with them.
    Personally, I'm not concerned about it, and as you say, we have to take most of what we see in these places with a grain or two of salt.
  • Options
    hlbuyerhlbuyer Member Posts: 1
    To those who have experienced the hesitation problem, or are experts on the thread-

does it occur on both 4 cyl, and V6?
        " " " 2wheel & 4 wheel drive?

Before learning of the problem I was debating getting the 4 or 6 cylinder FWD, this may be the deciding factor.
    Thanks
  • Options
    jblomquistjblomquist Member Posts: 1
    Purchased in September 04 new Limited v6 AWD with 12 miles, and now have 6k miles. Since date of purchase, noticed a persistent steering issue where the vehicle always drifts to the left, most noticible on highway driving over 65mph. I can't let go of the steering wheel for a second or I will be off the road. I checked tire pressure, wheels, etc. and figured it was an issue of break-in for AWD. Just took it to dealer for oil change and rotate. They did a test drive without me and did not find my complaint,and rotation ony helped a bit. I too have noticed that the steering wheel seems to be slightly off center and I have to direct it a bit to the right of center. When my husband is in the passenger seat, the pull to the left lessens, but is still there. There is no problem with breaking, or any other issues with the vehicle yet. I have not hit or bumped anything that should have exacerbated problem. Should I force them to align at no cost, or might this be another issue somehow tied to the traction control or electronic systems. This is my first AWD vehicle, and my last car was a 92 XLE V6 Camry that gave me 207k miles but always needed alignments and had poor tire wear too. So, before I go back to Dealer, I like to have a clue and know what to insist on checking...I hate the run around game. Thanks!
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    At least no one has posted a message here claiming to have it on a 4-cylinder. One post a while back indicated that a service technician had stated that the 4-cylinder does not have "throttle by wire," which many people are blaming for the problem. If you're looking at an '05, check to see if the 4-cylinder still is not throttle by wire. I have read that Toyota is adding it to the Matrix/Vibe for 2005, so they may be adding it to other models, too.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    My 2003 Camry SE 4 cyl (2.4L) automatic has throttle by wire, and no hesitation.
  • Options
    edhedh Member Posts: 246
    I had same prob with 99 infiniti.
    dealer "worked on it" 3 times - still pulled.
    private mechanic then said the camber was off on one side and that there was no factory adjustment.
    For $30 he elongated a hole in the strut on the "bad" side and fixed it.
    dealer would not or could not do that. car was probably made a little off. Dealer futzed me around - kept saying pull was common due to road crown. BS
  • Options
    A common cause of this problem is a bad tire, but rotating the tires should fix this, which in your case it didn't. Had similar problem some time ago -- replacing all tires completely fixed the problem.

The dealer should definitely be held accountable to fix this. This time ride with the service technician and ask him to release the steering wheel to prove to him it pulls to the side. At a minimum have them rotate the tires again (if you didn't do it before, this time actually watch them to make sure they actually do indeed rotate them!).
  • Options
    I've experienced hesitation on my '01 V6 AWD which is not fly-by-wire; I believe the hesitation is related to delayed shifting of the transmission (as controlled by the car's computer); I agree with herzogtum71 as I don't remember any 4-cyl (which has a different transmission BTW) owners reporting hesitation.

Haven't paid too much attention to the posts as to whether FWD or AWD related, but suspect its independent of this.

But I'd do a thorough test drive of the V6 before deciding against it, putting it through all the paces you normally subject your car to under all driving conditions you typically encounter, possibly on successive visits to the dealership.
  • Options
    Yes, my V6 AWD doesn't hesitate, so if that's what you want, I wouldn't rule it out -- just do a very careful test drive.
  • Options
    wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    I've been really paying attention to how much I depress the accelerator when rounding corners and in other situations where the hesitation occurs. I've noticed that the less I press, the less it hesitates. Stomp it to the floorboards, and the car will practically die everytime. Press the accelerator half way down, little hesitation occurs. Counter intuitive way to drive, but seems to work. Curious if this works for others who have the hesitation issue.
  • Options
    golgol Member Posts: 6
    I drive '04 V6 FWD bought in Aug. I was very frustrated with hesitation. and still I am. But I am successful in reducing it and not eliminating.
    Atleast in my case I observed more hesitation when the ENGINE is COLD. Everytime you start the vehicle , just let it warm for 5-7 mins (I know its very annyoying and not possible everytime) and the hesitation is reduced . Try this if it helps for you guys and post the results.
  • Options
    But I am beginning to notice a consistency in these hesitation reports, so my I ask....?

I am hearing 2-3 seconds of hesitation after application of WOT, wide open throttle.

I am also hearing that oftentimes there is entry to a turn involved.

Is it possible that the reports of 2-3 seconds of hesitation before acceleration correlates to exiting the turn, straightening, or beginning to straighten, the stearing wheel?
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    This hesitation problem sounds serious. It is important for all having this problem to document it with the appropriate agencies. This has been mentioned by others before, but it is worth repeating. You can file a complaint at NHTSA.gov and request that they investigate the problem because it could be a serious safety problem. Also, if you are being denied a repair under warranty, you should also report it to the Federal Trade Commission (www.FTC.gov) because they look into warranty issues. The Center for Autosafety (Autosafety.org) site is also an excellent site to post your problems. Don't forget to also contact your state Attorney General's office to file a complaint. If this problem is happening frequently, then Toyota can be required to take it more seriously.
  • Options
    tomkat24tomkat24 Member Posts: 3
    2005 AWD Limited V6, Can not reproduce the hesitation problem. I have tried all the reported issues here, slow 10-20 then hit the accelerator, slow and hard turn left/right then punch it and still no hesitation. Maybe the issue is sporadic and not consistent with all models? Just wanted to add my experiences so that others will not think that this issue happens to all vehicles produced.
  • Options
    beemerman2kbeemerman2k Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a new Highlander and we have about 1000 miles on it to date. I also cannot replicate the hesitation problem. I bought the car, THEN read about this problem on this site, so I am/was very eager to try to replicate this problem.

Whether I have to deal with it or not, I hope it gets resolved quickly. Aside from the potential for injury or harm to occupants, the resale value of these vehicles will fall like a rock if word gets out.
  • Options
    My wife's 2004 shows no indication of this problem, no matter how hard I try to reproduce it.
    My dealer's Service Manager says there have never been any complaints about it that he knows of. If it does exist,I don't think it affects very many Highlanders, and it certainly isn't a safety issue like the sudden and unexpected accelleration issues referred to above. I also don't think it's likely resale values will be affected one way or the other.
  • Options
    Sounds like the hesitation is happening on some but not all vehicles. It will be difficult to tell how prevalent the problem is and even more difficult to get Toyota to remedy the problem if not reported to the NHTSA. Please report this if you have the problem so that NHTSA can determine if it is persistent enough to warrant an investigation. Even if there is only a small percentage of Highlander owners having the problem, a recall and repair is needed since it sounds like this could be a serious hazard. I would be more concerned about personal safety than resale value.
  • Options
    megawattbluesmegawattblues Member Posts: 66
    I had my '02 HL for almost 3 years. Never had a problem at all - just found that I didn't need this much vehicle, so I traded in. I would definitely recommend the Highlander to anyone that wanted or needed a mid-size SUV.

Not sure what the hesitation problem is, or what model years it applies to, but I don't ever recall experiencing any. Mine was a V6 AWD.

What I did experience, was typical (to me) Toyota (and other cars, I'm sure) gas pedal twitchiness. IOW, just touch the pedal - and vrrooom - whoa - hold me back kind of built in to make you think your driving a real powerful machine throttle response. My wife's old Camry did this a little, too. Takes a while to get used to, and then you find yourself feathering your way from every stop...

I did however experience times when there'd be a reluctance to downshift at just the wrong moments, making me floor the thing and then wind up (literally!) in 1st gear at about 35 or 40 mph. Maybe this could be thought of by some as hesitation. These things are probably issues with a lot of cars these days with processors controlling everything.
  • Options
    Calling this problem (if in fact there even is one)a "safety problem" is a stretch. So far, all we've heard about is a hesitation when the accellerator is floored. Under those circumstances, suggesting that it "Sounds like this could be a serious hazard" is way over the top. Flooring the accellerator is the greater of two evils by a long way.
    Before setting off alarm bells about something that, so far, has been posted about by just a few individuals, it might make sense to cool the rhetoric a bit.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Ah but pilot130, by calling it a safety hazard (whether it is or not) they hope to get more serious attention from the "authorities." If you can call the Center for Auto Safety an authority on anything. Joan Claybrook rides again(with Nader as copilot). Will she ever get a real job?
  • Options
    Desertguy, Your sense of humor resonates, and I agree with sentiments about the CAS. Their complaint site, Autosafety.org, is so fraught with fakery that any semblance of credibility is purely coincidental. It's too bad, because if it had better control of those who take advantage of its lack of verification, it could be a helpful resource.
    The idea this "hesitation" issue constitutes a serious safety hazard sounds to me like a chapter out of another activist's handbook--one who is long since gone (perhaps?) named Blake.
  • Options
    apparently none of you "nay-sayers" have ever been caught "dead" in front of a line of oncoming fast-moving traffic.

The Trac system in my 92 LS400 would instantly apply the brakes and also instantly dethrottle the engine.

More that one time as I accelerated from a stop, not even close to WOT, and as I then crossed wet plastic crosswalk stripping and the wheels spun the engine would get dethrottled about the time I was 45 degrees to the travel lane I wanted to merge with.

Terrifying at times, multiple second for the dethrottling system to allow decent engine torque recovery.

Unless you've been there yourself, don't denigrate someone who has.

When the vehicle accelerates normally, as one would expect of a Lexus, 99.99% of the time, one tends to accept that performance as the norm.

It's like the Lexus Nav in my 01 RX300, that totally unpredictable .01 percent failure mode causes me to NEVER trust it.
  • Options
    Nope, never been caught dead in front of a line of fast moving traffic---and don't intend to either!! I try to avoid passing traffic when the road ahead isn't clear enough and doesn't present a sufficient margin of safety.
    I'm not saying that the hesitation "problem" Wwest describes hasn't happened, but I suggest it's an extremely rare and unusual situation. I feel the same way about the Highlander hesitation "problem" some suggest should be promoted as a serious "safety hazard." It just doesn't warrant that kind of alarmist publicity.
    An aside about your nav system Wwest. It's a satellite based GPS system like all the others out there. Yours is an 01 configuration--3 years old and climbing. You must know that databases in such systems require updating semi annually. Things do change--the most important of which are isogonic lines of magnetic deviation. Have you had yours done, and if so, you may find the accuracy factor will be more reliable.
  • Options
    Just because you aren't having a problem that others are having, please don't try to minimize the experience. Pilot130, I find it appalling that you mention resale values in one of your replies, implying that this would be a concern to some if people who have this problem report it (#2036 where you say "I also don't think it's likely resale values will be affected one way or the other"). Read back through several pages of reports here and it is OBVIOUSLY a safety issue to those who experienced it and to other drivers who find themselves in the postion of trying to avoid crashing into a hesitating SUV. These reports are not about people irresposibly passing other cars as you accuse, but is about people making turns and hesitating in the middle of turn. If you don't complete a turn, you could be stranded in the middle of an intersection facing oncoming traffic. There are a myriad of other situtations where a safe driver could be placed in a hazardous situtation due to hesitation as described in reports here.

Regardless, there is nothing lost if those who experience the hesitation report their problems to appropriate safety agencies. These agencies can then determine for themselves how much of a hazard this presents.
  • Options
    Apology to Pilot130 for attributing the resale value statement to you. It appears that beemerman2k is who mentioned it as an issue (and your statement was in response to this). I agree that it needs to get resolved quickly to avoid potential injury or harm, but resale values should not even be a consideration when safety is at stake.

I have been reading up on this problem here and would suggest that the naysayers search this forum using the word "hesitation" to read some of the history on this. It has been an issue when merging into high speed traffic (such as merging onto an interstate), when pulling into a passing lane to pass a slow moving vehicle, when making turns, and so on. It seems like it is mostly reported when traveling at a slow speed then needing to accelerate. There are also some suggestions as to cause, one being that it occurs in those vehicles with "fly” or “fly wire” acceleration.
  • Options
    No disrespect intended Scoti, but it could be said you're conjuring up scenarios which are unrealistic. I don't believe that rear end scenario you suggest is much of a likelihood under any circumstances.
    Furthermore, I don't intend to get into any argument over what's a big or little issue here, all I've done is state my opinion that this hestitation thing is unusual and rare, plus doesn't represent any safety concerns for those few who might experience it.
    So I'll just leave it at that. If you feel the need to editorialize the issue, go ahead.
  • Options
    I was trying to point out exactly that!

If 99.99% of the time the hesitation doesn't occur then you adjust your driving style accordingly, always "judging" a good margin of safety before pulling out in front of a line of on-rushing traffic.

Then suddenly that remaining .01% reaches out and bites you in the behind.

Since I couldn't reliably predict when my rear wheels might slip on my 92 LS400 the simple thing to do was disable it each and every time I started the car.

Lexus Nav....

The Lexus service manager proved that the problems I have experienced have to do withe the base Nav routing computation, not the map data or lack thereof. Exists on everything up to and including 04 model.
  • Options
    It may be that the system you have isn't computing correctly,and I hope it's nothing more than that.
    I can tell you from my aviation experience (I have 3 on board GPS receivers)that if databases aren't updated regularly to adjust for constant changes in magnetic North, errors will be there, and get worse over time.
    Two of my units are current, one isn't(an older unit I keep as a spare), and I can get differences of up to 15 miles in a 200 mile trip.
  • Options
    During my flying time, ~1957 to 1995, I think I relied mostly (solely??)on VOR, variable Omni-range, and/or TACAN. I don't remember EVER trusting the magnetic compass except for secondary reference.

What airplane do/did you fly, or how do you fly it such that you have need to rely on magnetic directional information?

I suppose VFR on top....??
  • Options
    spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    I am interested in this, discussion about Nav system. 04 HL LTD with Nav. I am questioning the input about magnetic field errors. I was under the assumption that position data came from the radio sgnal from the GPS satellites.This triangulates your position. The DVD compares the position location and places you on its internal maps, all references from the system are based on these two sources of info.Why does magnetic field enter ito this? BTW, love the NAV, perfect?NO Darn good?YES
  • Options
    I own a Cessna P210. Great airplane--fast, carrys a good load, and a great IFR platform. I have 2 VORs as well as a Loran and the GPS units I spoke of, one VOR which includes localizer and glideslope for ILS approaches (it's actually an HSI). Both are coupled to an autopilot.
    VOR's have very little to do with magnetic compasses. All they are is fixed ground based navaid transmitters which provide directional bearings and DME info (distance measuring equipment--my DME unit is a King KN64). Tacan is the military version of a VOR.
    GPS is a satellite based navaid, and GPS receiver databases are preprogrammed based on maps and charts at a given time. As you no doubt know from your ground school curriculum, VFR charts are only valid for a three month period, and IFR charts for a 28 day period. the biggest reason for this is magnetic deviation--magnetic North is not stationary.
    I still use VORs, but GPS units approved for IFR are much quicker and easier-- they do all the calculating and triangulation for you. GPS units have only become approved for IFR use in the past few years.
    And yes, a GPS satellite will give you your position relative to the ground, but if the reference points pre programmed in your GPS receiver have moved (magnetic deviation), your position will be off with respect to the pre programmed map or chart your GPS receiver contains.
  • Options
    spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    are you saying the dvd map coordinates are fixed in time when it was manufactured, where the GPS signals are constantly updated for magnetic deviation,hence the deviation discrepancy with older DVDs.
    I am going to check and see how much the position would be off at my lat/long from the DVD date
    interesting !