Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    nynewcarnynewcar Member Posts: 89
    Thanks, this is great advice! I feel like we're coming down to the last stretch of a marathon, LOL, after taking a crash course in car buying for the past couple of months.

Funny thing, our neighborhood Honda dealer is still the leading candidate to get our money. We went there before immersing ourselves in the how-to's of car buying, and now when all is said and done, I see that they gave us a pretty fair opening offer at the time, and without the "hard sell" tactics that can make this such an unpleasant experience.

I'm prepared to travel a bit to get a good value but if this dealer gives me a fair current price, I'm just as happy to keep the business local.

Our salesman mentioned something about their dealership having received the "Honda Presidents' Award." Does that have any significance for us, as buyers, or does it just mean that they made a whole lotta money for Honda :P ?
  • Options
    jikjik Member Posts: 144
    3 out of 5 dealers just jerk you around.. never giving prices in writing but calling every now and then and its usually different person who calls.

have you guys experienced it.
  • Options
    I'm planning to do this next week, by email. I have a list of area dealerships + "Internet managers" names. I know most of them will give me the usual "come on down" reply, but all we need are one or two serious replies to get the ball rolling.

And I will also try to get that book out of the library for the weekend.

I don't think we're going to get the car buyers' kit - I did a lot of homework these past few months and I think we're ready to go in there on our own. I also think it helps - a lot - that we aren't "in love" with any particular model (zeroed in on an Accord only because it's a better value than a Camry at this point in time), and we're also not under pressure to buy immediately.
  • Options
    They give up once you tell them you already bought a car :P. It's an easy way to get them off your back.
  • Options
    That is a good question - maybe a knowledgeable member can give us some input on this?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not a "jerk" dealer, just a smart dealer who doesn't want to give you something you can print out and wave in another dealer's face in an attempt to save another fifty dollars!
  • Options
    Very good deal - and more important, very good value for you. As to paying "slightly more" - it will even out over the time you own the car, and you will be happy every day because you got the color you wanted.

Would you mind posting the names of dealerships you visited and the one where you bought?
  • Options
    gmode71gmode71 Member Posts: 4
    Where I live in upstate NY there doesn't seem to be any great savings on 2006 SE Auto Accord's. I visited 2 Honda dealers the last day of the month in July and they were basically telling me (with my trade in) i would be paying $420 a month to finance the car. I currently pay $300 on my current 05 automobile; this doesn't make sense.

A dealer told me that they would never sell an 06 SE Auto Accord for less than $20,000. In 2003, I considered an LX Auto Accord for $18,000, but went with another car because the Honda salesman and sales manager did not treat me very well. A Honda salesman told me today, that the 2007's are $850 more.

I am confused as to why I can't get a better price for this 06 Auto SE Accord, and a fair trade-in quote (they are trying to give me $15,000 when KBB estimates it at $18K). I have a high 700 credit score, and with a trade-in and monthly payment of $300 I would purchase an 06 SE Auto Accord.....if i could find a deal.
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Click on my screen name and see some of my posts and resources to review on buying a car, especially Braggs fighting chance service. fightingchance.com (34.95) and Remar Sutton's 1981 book.

Getting competitive quotes usually involves contacting 10-20 dealers in a radius around you (or several cities around you) the last week of the month, looking for the one or two who really need to book a sale to make their numbers. The emails (or faxes) narrow down the field to a few to concentrate on. Walking in blind to several local dealers (even at EOM) frequently gives mediocre results, as well as being exhausting. The last hour of the month thing is silly and overrated.

That said, the end of august seems to be a volume bonus month for Honda dealers, and things may break open.

OTH, the Accord is the most popular sedan in America, and even those doing it right are coming up mixed. (500 over invoice?-- I think they were in NY too) for their exact color and options.

The Civic is another hard case. But if anything will smoke out a good deal this will.

Give it a shot in your area. Seems to be a buyers market though in the bigger (15-20 mpg cars) for obvious reasons.

--jjf
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Or the other possibility that numbers suddenly change when you go to finalize the paperwork.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,962
    If you have an '05 car now, I'm guessing you are quite a bit upside-down in your loan. KBB is a joke. Its not based in CURRENT reality.

If you pay $300/month on an '05 vehicle, why do you want to switch? Switching so soon will ALWAYS be a bad idea due to accelerated depreciation of cars in their first few years of service.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ravanipravanip Member Posts: 25
    Robert
    On a different note... Did you get your car tinted ?
    I am also in MaryLand and bought Accord almost same time as you did..
    I was thinking abt Tinting and wanted to know if you have done it?
    TIA
  • Options
    We're planning to buy over Labor Day weekend. All else being equal (i.e., availability of inventory) - do you think there would be a significant difference in prices if we'd go Friday (early in the weekend) vs. Monday?

TIA
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. What kind of a car? Any down payment?

They were probably trying to bury a bunch of negative equity, hence, the big payment.

And, you are right, the KBB numbers can be FAR from reality depending on what it is!
  • Options
    robinmdrobinmd Member Posts: 21
    Hey TIA,

We've been considering it especially since we have a little one now. A friend of mine used D&L tint for his Acura and recommended them to me. His tint is just one shade darker than legal here in Maryland, but the tinting place said they would pay for his ticket if he got one. I think the total cost was $327 for the 3M brand with a lifetime warranty. I did go order a really nice sun shade that covers the entire window from canvas works that was custom cut for the Accord and covers the entire window.

Robert
  • Options
    mcody1mcody1 Member Posts: 2
    2006 V4 EX for 20300 +TTL
  • Options
    troll_magetroll_mage Member Posts: 3
    Anybody have any prices for a 2006 SE V6 4Dr Sedan in Northern VA?

Or any ideas for a EX V6 with Nav.

Thanks
  • Options
    No such thing as a "V4" or a V-6 SE.

SE's are just about gone at this point.
  • Options
    I am getting 2006 EX auto for 21.439 incl dest +TTL
    2007 EX auto for 21.5 incl dest +TTL (not sure this will hold looks low)
  • Options
    normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    That's a great price, exactly what I paid back in May. No doc fees, just TTL added.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Yes, the V6 SE is only available as a 2007.
  • Options
    star6star6 Member Posts: 6
    I got 2007 Accord EX-L v4 Auto w/o navigation for 23165(including destination). Plus I paid TTL. Did I pay more, Did anybody hear about better deal than this for 2007?
  • Options
    garn0garn0 Member Posts: 3
    Test drove an Accord today. It's a 99 LX. about 141,000 miles on it. I know it was hit in the rear end at one point but it doesn't look bad at all after they fixed it up. Interior was a bit spotty but clean otherwise. The car drove very nice. They listed it for $7K. What do you think is a fair price to offer this dealer.
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I would not pay 1 cent more than $4,500 max.
  • Options
    phillycarsphillycars Member Posts: 9
    Well, I decided on the 2006 V-6 Automatic with Nav and I did get a good deal. I got the car for $750 under invoice plus they threw in the moon roof visor for free (cost $120). I had them add fog lights, floor mats, and wing spoiler. The total before taxes and tags was $27384 (before options $26187). I think this was a great deal for the same car as the 2007. :)
  • Options
    I know that each dealership maintains its website on its own, but I am wondering if there is any general practice in the industry as far as the accuracy of the inventory they list on their sites. Is inventory updated in real time, or does that depend on the dealership itself? Do they report it accurately?
  • Options
    fortyninjasfortyninjas Member Posts: 3
    What's a good OTD price for this car? I live in the Seattle area. So far the best I've gotten is 19800, which seems like crap considering its end of the year. Advice? Anyone near me get better quotes?
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Most folks in western WA don't seem to be getting the deals that other parts of the country are getting. I haven't been keeping up much but I know that a couple of people were shopping in this area recently. Perhaps they can offer more recent info.
  • Options
    phillycarsphillycars Member Posts: 9
    My experience is that dealerships are not very good at maintaining inventory on their websites. Not sure if others have had the same experience.
  • Options
    francisco0607francisco0607 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone here know what is the best offer in AZ for 2006 Honda Accord EX V6?
    What is the document fee and TTL in AZ?
  • Options
    liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    That sounds like a great price for an 07. My salesman tells me that invoice is $23,406. If thats the case you are getting it below invoice which is hard to believe. That is an automatic? Where are you getting this price? I like the new Cool Blue and I am looking at the same car. My salesman tell me $1200 over invoice which is way too much and I can wait for prices in my area to come down.
  • Options
    When you talke about "out the door" pricing, it confuses things. For one thing, King county has a 9.1% sales tax on cars.

Also, inventories on these are down to almost nothing at this point.
  • Options
    star6star6 Member Posts: 6
    Yes it is automatic, It is Rochester, MN Honda dealer. My dealer said I am paying 165 dollar more than invoice. He said he can not offer me anything less than that. Even he did not give any accessories but I thuoght 165 above invoice is not bad. But still this is my first new car. I did hmoework of just 1 week & he offered me 2007 little above price for what I was getting 2006. But really I was not aware of whether we get new car fro invoice or more or less than invoice.

So is it true we can ever get new model for less than invoice or we don't get any add on also?
  • Options
    fatedfated Member Posts: 41
    They are selling this for 20k including destination... so much lower than all other dealers I've contacted. Are these prices just a false advertisement to get us in the door?
  • Options
    dk7340dk7340 Member Posts: 2
    nynewcar

I bought from Academy Honda
    Madison Honda (21,515 incl Dest)
    Joyce Honda (21,300 incl Dest) sold out quick.
    Route 22 Honda (was sold out)
    Planet Honda (had one, but didn't give price)
    VIP (gave internet quote of ~21,544 incl dest)

These were the prices roughly 1-2 weeks ago.

Good luck with your purchase
  • Options
    juicyjeeperjuicyjeeper Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to figure out what a good price for an 06 accord 4-door w/ leather around the dallas area. With the 750 dealer incentive, I was thinking around invoice minus incentive (23,800) without dealer add-ons or destination would be a low target. Any ideas?? Also, anyone know of a good Honda dealer in the DFW area? Have money, will travel.

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm going over posts for the same period in 2005 but would love to hear from folks with more experience. All things being equal - what kind of price drop can we expect at the end of the month?

I have been reading that we should be able to "get a great deal" at the end of the month, and am trying to understand out how that translates into a number. Would it be 200-300 less than the current prices? More? Less?

I want to go in with an offer that won't have the dealer showing me the door, KWIM? After all this research, I'm pretty sure I won't be overpaying in any case, just want to know what number to set as a target.
  • Options
    bighoo93bighoo93 Member Posts: 24
    Have to agree with you on this, dealers are not being jerks by not giving you their best offer in writing so you can price shop. They DO give you an offer in writing. Its called "MSRP". Many times they will give you another offer in writing. But you can bet your bottom dollar that they will NOT let you walk out the door with their best offer in writing. And frankly, why should they? They are dealing with you, and the offer they make is good until you leave the lot. Now, its possible that if you come back, that offer is still good. But there is no reason they should have to guarantee that in writing.
  • Options
    koetoekoetoe Member Posts: 1
    Got it for $19900 before tax&registration at Norm Reeves West Covina. The sales are really nice, friendly and very eager to solve the problem I have (rattling noise on driver side door)
    I think now is the best time to get 2006 car, still have enough inventory to choose, and good price.
  • Options
    matrix6matrix6 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into purchasing a 07 Accord this year and I was planning on ordering one from the factory because I have a few options I want to get added to it that would be hard to get on one already on the lot with the color I like,things like a spoiler,moonvisor mudguards and window tint. The question I want to know is if I order one can I still get a good deal on it like I could if I purchase one off the lot at the dealership or would I have to pay full price because its brand new from the factory?
  • Options
    brupopbrupop Member Posts: 63
    You won't have to special order your Accord to get those options, or any others, since all those extras are dealer-added.
    So go out and buy the Accord you want NOW. Your dealer will be glad to put on whichever accessories you desire.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    exactly. i believe the 6 CD changer is same. You had me confused for a long time.
  • Options
    imsannyimsanny Member Posts: 4
    I am shopping for a Honda Accord LX (2006)- Auto in NJ. Most of the dealers around here seem to be sold out on this car already. I have a quote of 17800 (Base price) from one dealer on the base model - is this a good price? I was hoping to get a better price around this time of the year.

Any recommendations for NJ dealers with good customer service and no haggle?
  • Options
    wtf147wtf147 Member Posts: 1
    Really wanted a 2006 in Graphite Pearl but no dealers either had them or were willing to swap with my local Long Island, NY dealer. I had negotiated a price of $24,900 plus tax, DMV and a fee ($67.50 for Title, NYS Tire Disposal and Inspection) - No admin fee.

Closed today on a 2007 at $26,400 plus tax, DMV and the $67.50 fee. Dealer "threw in" cargo net, moon roof visor and two years of Roadside Assistance and maintenance (oil changes etc.)

And life goes on . . .
  • Options
    Great price. Where did you buy?

I am getting 06 SE auto for that price. Hoping to negotiate down from the internet quotes I got.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Actually you should be able to get somewhat of a better deal on a car ordered directly from the factory as the dealer does not have to pay any interest to the bank on it as he does for those sitting on his lot.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....Really wanted a 2006 in Graphite Pearl but no dealers either had them or were willing to swap with my local Long Island, NY dealer. I had negotiated a price of $24,900 plus tax, DMV and a fee ($67.50 for Title, NYS Tire Disposal and Inspection) - No admin fee.

And life goes on . . .

.....out here on the left coast, just west of the state capital at the dealer near the world class univ.......

...2006 AV6 6M at $23, 650 (+TTL).......the deals are out there!!

best, ez..
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    out here on the left coast, just west of the state capital at the dealer near the world class univ.......

Hmmmmmmm, and all the time I thought Princeton was in NJ. :)
  • Options
    ravanipravanip Member Posts: 25
    Congrats for your little one :)
    I still have not decided on Tint yet...
    Where did you buy your Shade :)

Did you get Tint on your car??
  • Options
    robinmdrobinmd Member Posts: 21
    Thanks. :)

I bought the sun shade online at http://www.canvasworks.com/. Kind of expensive at around $43 with shipping, but it's custom cut for the Accord. It's one solid piece and you just roll it up when you're not using it.

No tint yet. Still thinking about it.