Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    has the updated info on the coupe and M45...coupe comes with brembo brake and limited slip options..now we all know infiniti is doing it right for us...i bet the sedan will upgrade to these options in the future as well...great job, carlos
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...........I understand the rear seats fold, is this car - - like the new Z - - a hatchback?
  • Options
    ldesouzaldesouza Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any information whether the Coupe will be sold in Canada this year? Also which production cycle do you think they will they have the new features installed on the G35. (Telematics and Digital Radio)
  • Options
    maybeg35maybeg35 Member Posts: 186
    the MSRP in Canada will be $6000 higher than US.
    LOL
  • Options
    gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    Good to see Brembos and LSD on the coup. Anyone know whether these will be options on the sedan?

I would wait for something like that - and be willing to pay extra for it
  • Options
    tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    You recommended the Inifiniti dealer in Libertyville. Did you pay sticker for your G there?
  • Options
    dafreakdafreak Member Posts: 154
    i did not pay sticker...they did discount the car some....
  • Options
    montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    Hey Riez it was a full test of the G35, and it didnt say whether it was preproduction or not. Stsurbrook you want find a url because the test is in the latest (MAY) issue of Car and Driver.
  • Options
    dafreakdafreak Member Posts: 154
    www.usatoday.com/money/columns/healey/2002-03-29-infiniti.htm
  • Options
    dane4dane4 Member Posts: 107
    I sent an email to the official Infiniti contact on their website inquiring as to the claim that "all" 2003 G35's would have the Wingcast system, and if this system would be retrofitted into the initial run of G35's that many of us here and about have purchased.

Although it may be significant expense to retrofit existing vehicles with the system, I believe that infiniti should offset this with the knowledge that many of us who took the plunge and purchased a car in its first model year in the US and Canada are in large part, responsible for the success of the launch of this car...

I'm not holding my breath, as I tend to be quite cynical in situations that concern things like this, but they did claim "Total Customer Experience" not "Partial" or "Almost"...

Well, here's hoping that Infiniti comes thru with this one

Faenor/Dane4
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    shoud be out Monday right? first day of April I would guess all makers would report their sales.....
  • Options
    68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    Those pictures of the G35 Coupe from the Ascii web site make the car look less appealing to me than the official Nissan press shots that we've all seen yesterday IMHO. These pics do give you a better, more real view of the car than the mocked-up and touched up marketing photos from Nissan. However, taking a closer look at the car: the front end looks like a blend of the G35 sedan and the 350Z, the side profile looks like a blend of the 350Z and the Acura RSX, and the rear has some resemblence to a Honda Prelude and Chysler 300M. Overall, IMHO, it's still a very hot looking car but just not as attractive as from the official press pics. But just like the sedan, I'm sure it looks much better in person anyway. (Please don't slam me for this honest opinion.)

Oh, there's the old prop rod again in the under the hood pic. :-)

Here'e the link again: http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/issue/2002/0329/14nsh_kt0329_05.html

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Egad, for the 4 times per year that the hood will be open that'll be horrible!

BTW, someone mentioned showing his friends the engine and that's why he wanted struts. Have you seen current engines? They're covered! You open the hood and it's a sea of plastic covers.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I actually like the car more in the pics from the show. The Nissan ones sort of looked like a faked photoshop job you would find on cheersandgears. Wish the tailpipes weren't so huge though
  • Options
    g35manng35mann Member Posts: 37
    I can't believe it's out, already. Not even the end of the month, yet. I'll be checking the mailbox, routinely. A full G-test, finally!!!

I realized this morning, the M might appeal to a side of me which I've never really paid attention to, before. It's basically a Q's running gear, but because of an older platform, and funky sheetmetal (which may be more roomy, a plus, IMO), it's at a 10 grand discount. They may have a sleeper on their hands, here. And if not, you might could pick up Q performance for G prices, if they don't sell. Sign me up!

I mean, the differences might add up to 5 cubic feet, .02 G on the skidpad, an MPG or two and really poor resale value. For ten G's off, new, I'll take it, and just keep it indefinitely...would make nice 'beater' in 15 years...

;-)
  • Options
    yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    The coupe is not a hatchback. I checked out the trunk and it looked pretty much useless. The spare tire takes up the whole space, making the trunk about a 12 inches deep. It looked it can barely fit a golf bag. Forget about a luggage.
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    gandhim3: You may be on to something about the narrower tires on the sedan.

It could be that Infiniti substantially reduced the G35 sedans wheels and tires to decrease the cars Cd. Not so implausible if you consider that they may have been trying to maximize the sedans EPA rating.

Whatever, it just seemed odd to me that the sedan has the significantly lower Cd, given that the more obvious factors would seem to favor the coupe (i.e. slightly smaller frontal area and less overall mass).
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    "... I checked out the trunk and it looked pretty much useless..."

Seems like it shouldn't be that big of a deal since the G35 Coupe has the folding rear seats to substantially increase the cars luggage space when needed.
  • Options
    68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    The Cd rating has nothing to do with the size of the frontal area of the car. Cd stands for coefficient of drag. As with all coefficients, it must be multiplied by something for it to mean anything. To get the total drag, you must multiply the Cd by the total frontal area. Thus, if the sedan has a lower Cd but a larger total frontal area (e.g., in square inches), the resulting drag may be the same or higher than that of the coupe even though the coupe has a higher Cd but a smaller total frontal area. Get it? The Cd is more of a reflection of how slippery the design or shape is. Yes, somehow I managed to stay awake in high school physics. LOL :-)
  • Options
    jerryd3jerryd3 Member Posts: 20
    ...I agree with 68bullitt. Cd is independant of frontal area.

The lower Cd of the coupe probably has most to do with the fact that it is shorter in length.

Also, mass has no direct relation ship to Cd.
  • Options
    stsurbrookstsurbrook Member Posts: 285
    dafreak - you can get the titanium without the sport package, but have to take the car without the premium package (it includes wood). With both the premium and sport packages, you only get titanium.

gandhim3 - about tires... the BMW 3-series (non-sport package or M3) all come with 205/55-17's, a bit narrower than those on the G35, which would explain why they don't handle as well. However, with the sport package, the 3-series tires are quite a bit wider.

FYI... the IS300 had 215/45-17's and the 3.2TL Type S has 215/50-17's, which are pretty comparable to the G35's rubber.

As for the sport suspension, I have to admit my experience was pretty different from dafreak's. I found it to be not worth the money. In fact, while the ride was only nominally rougher, I thought it actually handled worse than the base suspension. It could be that there was just something wrong with the suspension or tires.

jlan - about the "G" numbers, .81G was what I believe Car and Driver reported and were what I had originally quoted. However, I find it tough to believe that there is only a .01G difference between the Acura and G35. In my experience the G35 handles MUCH better than the 3.2TL Type S.

dafreak - thanks for the URL about the review. Appears pretty good.

I've noticed that many people have complained about the amber lighting scheme. However, amber is MUCH easier on the eyes than green or blue. This would be something that is very important at night when you are tired already.

maybeg35 - $6K more in Canada for the coupe? Was that $American or $Canadian?

montmax - I checked their web site and did not see the review. I'll try it again.

Scott
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Guessin' all the discussion about 275 HP, less than 275 HP, or more than 275 HP is probably a result of the HP fiasco Nissan suffered with the Q45 HP numbers. They lost a lot of trust. Might also be result of all the use of the 3.5 V-6. Altima's supposedly has only 240 HP while Maxima and G35 sedans supposedly have 255 HP. The Z350 might have 280 or 300 HP. And the coupe might have whatever.

Not sure I trust 'em but want to believe they are trustable since they don't want to forever destroy their credibility.

I love opening my hood. I do it every time I wash my car. Make sure to get it completely dry!!! Yet another reason to hate the el cheapo lowly Geo Metro-worth prop rod! But I also let it dry with the fuel filler door and trunk lid open, too. Does that make me a monster? An idiot?
  • Options
    memphisslim1memphisslim1 Member Posts: 37
    Dane 4 (#3714). Thanks for contacting Infiniti re: the claim that "all" 2003 G35's would have the Wingcast system, and whether this system might be retrofitted into the initial run of G35's. This is an important question for those of us that have already purchased the G. I'm not quite holding my breath either, but this could be an important lesson regarding the "Total Customer Experience" claim. I would appreciate you doing a post (or send me an email) after you hear back. Thanks for checking on this one! Memphis Slim.
  • Options
    memphisslim1memphisslim1 Member Posts: 37
    Can someone tell me why the CITY and MPG for the G35 by reviewers (e.g., Edmunds and many other reviews) is rated at 19 City MPG and 24 Highway MPG, when the 2003 sticker that I took off the window of my G35 clearly states 26 Highway mpg (and it gives the government fuel mpg web cite to support this number? My sticker states a range of between 16 and 22 mpg for the city and between; and 22 and 30 mpg on the highway. I realize that the 19 (city) and 26 (highway) mpgs are the means (averages)...so how come the reviewers at citing 24 highway mpg virtually everywhere you look? Second question: Why does Edmunds (in their specs on the G35) state that traction control is not available (even as an option) for the G35? VDC and traction control are standard on the G35. Check out the specs and compare them with the sticker and/or car owners manual. Something is wrong on the Edmunds specs. Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can provide. --Memphis Slim
  • Options
    Stsurbrook it want be online bud, it is in the May 2002 issue, which they want put online until Next month. You will have to buy the issue for now.
  • Options
    Actually Riez the G35 has 260HP and the Max has 255HP.
  • Options
    memphisslim1 - I think that the 19/24 numbers were the estimates, based on the pre-production models. However, the 19/26 numbers are correct. It sure would be nice if the trade rags would get it right... ;)

I know dafreak and I have both driven the base and sport suspensions within a short time period, but had fairly different impressions of the sport package. Just out of curiousity, are there any others who feel comfortable describing their experiences? (Guess I'm just trying to figure out if the sport package G35 I drove was a fluke.)

Scott
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I'm hoping to find someone knowledgable on this subject who can discuss the pros and cons. I am aware of the difference in specral content (higher color temperature. HID are more like real daylight. But I have other questions;

1. Are they brighter?
    2. Is there a different illumination pattern?
    3. Do HIDs last longer than halogens?
    4. Are replacement bulbs (or whatever is used) more expensive.
    5. How hard are they for a do it yourself person to replace?
  • Options
    memphisslim1 - I think that the 19/24 numbers were the estimates, based on the pre-production models. However, the 19/26 numbers are correct. It sure would be nice if the trade rags would get it right... ;)

I know dafreak and I have both driven the base and sport suspensions within a short time period, but had fairly different impressions of the sport package. Just out of curiousity, are there any others who feel comfortable describing their experiences? (Guess I'm just trying to figure out if the sport package G35 I drove was a fluke.)

Scott
  • Options
    blinkerblinker Member Posts: 38
    After driving both, I'm in the group that is getting the base suspension. I felt I could get plenty aggressive with it and it handled it. To me the sport was harsher but other than that not a significant difference. I agree the wood is awful bland. If they are going to use it they need to face out more area of the dash etc. to make it look like less of an afterthought.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I still haven't seen the G35 in person (it would just make me want one even more). I like the looks of the sedan a lot, but the coupe blows it away!

It is upscale, aggressive, and modern chic. IMO, it is one of the best looking, most unique cars on the road at any price...and the price is right. It's a more handsome 350Z that has a back seat. Perfect!

If I was slightly more impetuous, I'd buy a 6-speed coupe ASAP, but alas, I've decided to keep my '93 Accord EX for a few more years (it only has 88K miles).

For now, I'll just re-read "The millionaire next door" this weekend to strengthen my resolve!
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I saw my first CTS on the highway today. It was some kind of candy apple red and I thought it looked pretty good in person.

It doesn't hold a candle to the G.
  • Options
    faenorfaenor Member Posts: 99
    Greetings!

I picked up the G35 with the Xenon's and previous to that I was doing some hefty research on the aftermarket kits so that I could put some in my Toyota 4Runner...

1. This question I actually smiled at... They are amazingly brighter. you know those claims for the high performance halogen bulbs that are supposed to "approach the brightness of true HID headlights"? They are liars :) The Xenons are so much brighter that after a week of driving the G35 I jumped into the 4Runner (which has PIAA SuperWhite halogen bulbs) and I had to gun the engine a little because I thought the something was wrong with the alternator and the battery was going dead... Even the brightest halogens look a pale and dingy yellow compared to the Xenons...

2. The illumination pattern is very sharp and is like a wide "slit" in fron of the car... whereas the halogens throw a more diffused Conical light pattern from each headlight... If you take a car with HIDs and park facing a wall the pattern looks like a very sharp edged rectangle that cuts off at about the hood line of the car. This is done I presume so as to not blind oncoming drivers... and a probably reason why HIDs are not banned from the roads.

3. From my research Typical lifespan of HIDs are about 5 years barring some catasprophe... As a rule of thumb, they last MUCH longer than Halogens.

4. Replacement bulb cost is, to use a euphemistic term "astronomical" Don't go out of your way to burn one of these out because the replacement cost for one bulb is several hundred dollars...

5. I've never experienced replacing one (yet) so I couldn't tell you, but I can't see them being any more difficult to replace then standard H4 type bulbs... Of course I would put comforters all around and underneath the car while accomplishing this task in case I accidently dropped the bulb :P

In the end analysis, I don;t think I could ever own a car that didn't have HID headlights. I've gotten used to the intensity of them and how much more you can see! I'm going to splurge on the old 4Runner and get an aftermarket HID system for it for about 700 dollars...

Hope this helps,

Faenor/Dane4
  • Options
    stooge2000stooge2000 Member Posts: 96
    That writer spent a full week in the car. That's a lot of cockpit time. And the report card comes out near excellent.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Saw the new R&T at the newstand. Didn't have time to read it, though. But on top of the cover was "G35". Has anyone read the review? Any revelations?
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Has the same general shape as the 350Z. I spoke with the Infiniti rep at the NY Auto show and he said the base price for the coupe should be $28,000. Kind of strange though, he said that if you want the 6 speed, you have to buy the leather package. I assume that this would probably put it at around $30,000 without any additional options. Nice car, but maybe a little to sporty for me. I asked him if this engine package would be available in the sedan and he said yes, but it would be at least a year away.
  • Options
    montmax... Since all those HP numbers are from same basic engine and since Nissan burned self with the Q45 HP fiasco, doesn't surprise me that people are suspicious about the purported output of all these cars claiming 240-300 HP range from the 3.5L V-6.

Do I really believe the I35/Maxima has "only" 255 HP and the G35 has the "more powerful" 260 HP? No. Guessing 5 HP would be within 1 standard deviation of power output mean for the production run. Statistically possible that an I35 engine might have 262 HP and a G35 engine might have only 256, or something like that.

Of course, the only number that really matters is how much power is actually transmitted to the wheels. Would be interesting to compare that figure between Altima, Maxima/I35, and G35.
  • Options
    kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    Love my G35 nore everyday. I have always been told that for most driving the torque figures of an engine are the most important aspect to consider, they say that there is no substitute for cubic inches.
    G35 has 260 ft. pounds
    BMW 330 214 ft. pounds
    BMW M coupe 251 ft pounds

The G35 sure offers good value for the money, Nissan and Infiniti is on the run.

The VQ engine is one strong engine. Burt Rutan used the Vq in one of his unlimited racing planes and was able to extract 1,400 hp from it. Amazing, EH?

Paul

El Cajon, California
  • Options
    Pricing for loaded G35 and BMW 330 and M coupe with navigation.

G35 = $36,185. Plus free compliments & long Warr.
    BMW 330 = $42,310. $6,125. more
    BMW M Coupe = $55,270. $19,085. more

G35 reliability and great dealer service FREE!

G won me over!!!

Paul
  • Options
    kd6aw1 (Paul)... Are you a fortune teller? Time traveller? Do you have the 3 or 5 year reliability, recall, and TSB data for the MY 2003 G35? Guess I'm a bit confused about how you already have the proof of great G35 reliability when the car just came out. (But if you can tell the future, please let me know who will win the next couple Super Bowls and by how much. Could make a killing betting on a sure thing.) :)
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Adding to Paul's comments, C&D tested the 330i Manual at 6.4 seconds. I think the G35 auto will equal that. Has anyone read a test 0-60 yet? The G35 Manual will blow the 330i Manual in the weeds. The Manual Coupe could embarass the Lexus 430. That's real performance value!
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Never driving an M3 but BMW claims 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. So yes numbers matter to a point. Ahhh, but don't say the M3 is X dollars over the G35 when these torque numbers are being quoted in the same sentence. G35 wins bragging rights, let's see who wins real world. It also has little to do with cubic inches and more of design and engineering. Porche's 3.5 liter for instance and BMW 3 liter, plus other high bred automobiles. Both companies are very successful at squeezing every ounce of torque and horsepower from their engines. IMO that's why real world the G35 and 330i two cars might be similiar in terms or raw numbers. Except the BMW 3 liter produces fewer emissions and better gas mileage. My first two tankfuls I averages 24 mpg. (No that was not downhill with the engine off)

Ken
  • Options
    Congratulations on your G35.

I promise that the reliability on your new car will be perfect. Have had great luck with Nissan and the Skyline track record has been great so would be surprised if that changes. Hope that you love yours as much as we love ours. Happy Easter!

P.S. Have you found your first aid kit yet? If not it is located in the rear armrest, pretty clever EH?

Paul
  • Options
    riez - regarding the HP ratings, my understanding is that they are now measured at the wheel and not at the crankshaft. This change happened a number of years ago because vehicles with nominally equal HP had significant performance differences that were due to other causes, such as transmission. Then again, I could be wrong... :^/

stanny1 - montmax has the latest Car and Driver (May issue) and he said their timing of the G35 from 0-60 was 6.2 seconds (.2 sec faster than the 330i manual and .8 seconds faster than their auto). 1/4 mile was equally impressive (14.9 seconds @ 97mph, if I remember correctly).

kdshapiro - the published numbers on the G35 seem to support Infiniti's claims about HP and torque (interestingly, I have never seen any claims of "cheating" with this generation of the VQ engine, though it has been out >2 years) vs. the BMW 330i... :)

Scott
  • Options
    Nobody said cheating. :) I'm saying that some car manufacturers have squeezed the last ounce of power from their engines. Some do it better than others. Now if you want to add a blower or turbo, like the new Mustang SVT rated 390 hp for $34,000; sub 5 sec 0-60) that's another story. But turbos and such add such complexity and are so prone to failure that they are not widely adopted. All of these manufacturers are involved in racing efforts, which is where their ideas comes from. That's why real world performance is so important, if you have to drive the car in the redline (ala Honda S2000) to get real performance from it and max torque, that's one thing. But if most of the torque occurs low in the power band that's another. So yes, the VQ series may get 280 via tuning, but where is the tach at that horsepower and where is the torque?
  • Options
    speculativespeculative Member Posts: 36
    I guess you dont own any performance cars. I own a corvette and even I go up to the 6600 wall. Your statement is like: if you never press the accelerator you wont go fast, and since I say you cant press the accelerator it is therefore most important what the engine makes at low rpm. Absurd.
  • Options
    Not quite what I said, but that's your interpetation :)
  • Options
    You guys that recieve C&D should be recieving your copy in the mail soon. Actually it was 96mph through the 1/4 mile.
  • Options
    vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    There is never a guaranty.............but there is a warranty. And the best source for determining if you will need to use a warranty is Consumer Reports.

Well looking at the past 7 years of the April (car) issues,............there is every reason to believe the G35 will have stellar relibility. Typical of Infiniti. The most reliable cars on the planet( at least on this planet ).
This discussion has been closed.