Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    How can people compare the G35 Coupe (the standard coupe!) to BMW's limited production M3? That's inane. There's a 15-19k difference depending on packages. That's like comparing a Sentra (15k) to a BMW 3 Series.

If and when Infiniti releases an R-Spec G35 Coupe, then we'll see a realistic comparo between the only 2 high performance RWD sports/luxo coupes on the market. Until then all comparisons are bogus. The current G35 coupe is meant to compete with the 325ci and 330ci. On that level we can safely assume the G coupe will be the value leader and possibly offer superior performance. We'll see. Someone will do a comparo in November or December.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kd6aw1 (Paul)... Please do NOT quit your job to become a fortune teller. I do NOT own a G35 or any Infiniti product currently. I do own two BMWs. I have owned two Infiniti's in the past, but has been some years back. (And I'm Greek Orthodox. Pascha, what the West calls Easter, is on May 5th. You calculate your Easter differently. Lent just started for us.) :)
  • Options
    Since I won't consider a G35 until it comes out with a manual, the shift quality of the manual is as important as power & acceleration figures. I'm a bit nervous. Doesn't seem like the Maxima's 6-speed manual is setting any refinement standards.

Hope the G35's manual is better than the 2003 Ford SVT Cobra. Here is a small excerpt from the 3/25/02 issue of AutoWeek:

"All that power gets shuttled ... to a 3.55:1 [LSD] rear via a six-speed Tremac T-56 gearbox. ... the shifter itself feels clunky, stiff. It's difficult to slot smoothly from gear to gear, and often the shifter hangs up between gears or forces you to search around for the correct one. ... the shifter sits too far forward to reach comfortably from just about any driving position."

Hope the manual G35 doesn't end up getting bad reviews like this! Then it will be all for naught.
  • Options
    stsurbrookstsurbrook Member Posts: 285
    "Last ounce of power from their engines," eh? According to another post here, the VQ series engine is being used in unlimited aircraft racing and outputting >1400HP. Seems like there is plenty of headroom there...

Regarding the issues of where the highest parts of the HP and torque bands are located, there appears to be some comparison to those of the BMW (just higher... :). Using G35/BMW, the HP maxes out at 6000/5900rpm. The torque maxes out at 4800/3500rpm. However, since torque curves are fairly flat in the early parts of their ranges, the G35 should be fairly comparable to 330i at the same rpm.

Fortunately, the above information appears to be fairly well supported by the data that is coming in.

montmax - in the C&D issue did they have any braking information? Also, what was their measured turning radius?

Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    We're talking street legal here...:)
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello fellow car enthusiasts and I hope that you are having a great weekend. I am very impressed with the styling and features of the new Infiniti coupe. Does anyone know when the dealerships will be taking orders?

I feel sorry for the people who overpayed for the Nissan 350 Z. The cars seem to retail for about the same price. The Infiniti gives you a back seat, better styling, a foot more car, a 60,000 mile warranty, pass through seating, handsome styling, etc.

The new Z looks fun but for the money I will buy the Infiniti.

Let me also compliment Nissan on its daring styling of the new Murano sport untility.

Should we be buying Nissan stock?
  • Options
    robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I recall reading a Nissan announcement about the new 350Z regarding it's 6-speed manual shifter. It's supposedly designed to be among the best on the market - equal to or better than S2000, BMW, etc. If this is true, we should be in for a real treat since the G35 gets the same shifter.
  • Options
    Oh, getting LEGAL on me, are you? :)

Scott
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I share your anxiety. I have test driven probably 10 Altimas and Maximas in the last year all with a manual and all persuaded me not to buy. I agree, the shift quality is more important then the HP and torque. Remember the shifter is ergonomically in your face all the time (just like the steering). My experiences with Honda and Acuras on the other hand have been very positive. Accords, RSXs, Preludes and S2000s have all had very good shifters.. Actually I think its more than the linkage. I think the transmision design (such as multiple synchronizer cones) is even more important. The problem has been the absence of the manual-V6 combo. The 03 Accord and CL will now have this. I have driven the 03 CL and it is very good. I like the G35 well enough to wait and see. The handling and steering are supierior to the CL. If the transmission is good it will be a hell of a car.
  • Options
    robertr... I rarely, if ever, buy into the manufacturer's hype. And in most cases the more they claim something is better or new & improved, the more suspicious I am. The early pre-production reviews of the Z350's 6-speed manual that I read--remember reading a lengthy one in R&T and couple other ones, as well--were NOT overly positive but hopeful there would be improvements. I find it interesting that no major automotive publication appears to have tested the new Maxima 6-speed available with LSD.

joeandcarol2... I had a G20t with 5-speed manual. Absolutely the best shift action ever and a wonderfully light and engaging clutch. Always wonder if it had more to do with it being a small 2-liter I-4 engine with not a lot of HP or torque, but then again it ran rings around an earlier Plymouth Neon Sport I had with 5-speed.
  • Options
    Anyone bought this model? Anyone with interior and or exterior pictures.
  • Options
    I have wondered also about maybe it has to do with engine size. I hope not. Otherwise I doomed to drive 4 cyl. the rest of my life. :(
    I hate automatics (why bother?). I find them boring. And the manumatics do nothing for me.
  • Options
    speculativespeculative Member Posts: 36
    Comparably equiped the G35 (with navigation system and everything else I wanted) cam to a little under 36000, the BMW 330 came to 40000. close but some savings on the infinity. I wish more stuff was standard. I still think BMW has a nicer interior but 4000 nicer....hmmmmmmm
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    FWD manual transmission linkages are nowhere near as straightforward as RWD -- they're sloppy at the best of times. If Nissan pays attention, the "G" 6-speed will be worthy. If not. . .

It sounds like a reasonable number of people actually care. Trying to sell a new luxury or near-luxury (wannabe luxury, whatever) car marketed in North America with a manual transmission is a huge leap of faith. Lincoln took it and wishes it hadn't.

My 240-Z, which I bought new, had relatively spongy steering (compared to my MGB), and the shift linkage wasn't especially sharp, but it went around corners really, really well (for the time -- we're talking1973). I'd like to think Nissan is paying even closer attention this time and knows how to deliver what the customer wants. Time will tell.

The knowledge that the coupe isn't burdened with the reclining rear seats (has fold-downs), combined with higher hp, continues to make the "G" especially interesting. Colour choices remain to be seen, but everything seems to be headed in the right direction, given that this is the only Asian vehicle with a manual in this class.

Does anyone know how to spell reliability?

I knew you could. Others will, too. With time, deals will be made well below MSRP. I waited a couple of years to buy my first Miata, and wasn't disappointed, either by the car or the wait.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I don't get it. Without naming names there are at least two BMW owners that are hanging around this board just spewing negativism about the G35. Hey you don't like the G, no problem, why are you here then??. There's a comparo thread between the G and the BMW 330 where you can beat your chests and justify your purchase till your blue in the face. This thread is more suited for G35 owners and those that are looking to purchase the car.

Peace

Speed
  • Options
    I have wondered also about maybe it has to do with engine size. I hope not. Otherwise I doomed to drive 4 cyl. the rest of my life. :(
    I hate automatics (why bother?). I find them boring. And the manumatics do nothing for me.
  • Options
    rjprjprjprjp Member Posts: 12
    Can someone tell me what lease price they were able to get and possible what the figures where?
  • Options
    tonyg35tonyg35 Member Posts: 52
    "Without naming names there are at least two BMW owners that are hanging around this board just spewing negativism about the G35. Hey you don't like the G, no problem, why are you here then??. "

Buyers' remorse, maybe?
  • Options
    cdnpinhead - The Lexus IS300 is available with a 5-speed manual. I have seen it, but haven't driven it, so can't say how good it is.

rjprjp - I was quoted some lease payments from Infiniti finance and they were within ~$20 of the purchase payments. Basically, Infiniti is not helping out at all with lease subsidization ala Q45 and I35 (the I35 lease was ~$150 cheaper at same price). I'm buying...

speedracer3 - comparisons to what the trade rags have made out to be "the standard" (BMW any-series) are inevitable when discussing the pluses/minuses of the G35. However, other than factually (quantitative) wrong stuff, I would think that the BMW owners (those who have already made up their mind) would have better things to do than debate opinion-based (qualitative) issues. Unless, of course, tonyg35 is correct and this is their defense (denial) mechanism... :)

Scott
  • Options
    68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    Wall St. Journal had an article on Infiniti in Friday's edition (3/29). I think they made a mistake and implied the G35 Coupe will come with a 5-speed manual. They also spelled out why Infiniti can sell these cars for so much less than its German and American competitors. As we all know, it's due to the current weak Yen. If the Yen goes up, they may eventually have to raise prices to maintian profitablity. Don't worry, right now even wih the comparatively lower prices Nissan is making a healthy profit so don't feel sorry for them. Here's an excerpt:

The new G35 coupe comes with a 275 horsepower engine, a choice of five-speed automatic or manual transmission, leather seats and lots of power accessories for a price starting under $30,000.
    "We are certainly making a significant investment in relaunching the Infiniti brand," said Steve Wilhite, Nissan's U.S. vice president of marketing who oversees Infiniti . "We have a fabulous opportunity to clearly capture the values, the character and personality of our brand."
    Infiniti executives say their strategy of underpricing rivals isn't affecting profitability, and Mr. McNabb acknowledged the Japanese auto maker was benefiting from the impact of a low yen, compared with the dollar. Executives at U.S. auto makers have been grumbling about this advantage. "We figure that on the average car, [the weak yen] gives them about a $4,000 cost advantage," said Robert Lutz, chairman of General Motors Corp.'s North American operations and the auto maker's product development czar. Mr. Lutz, during a session with reporters at the New York show, complained that Asian auto makers are using the weak yen to keep prices low even as they put more features into their vehicles.
  • Options
    tonymarfiltonymarfil Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to Newark, NJ. My 1991 Nissan Sentra just crapped out and may not be worth fixing. I speced out the G35 w/ leather I want here on Edmunds and it comes out to MSRP: $35575. What kind of lease deal do you guys think would be fair? I'm looking in the ballpark of $3000 down and $400/month. If anyone has leased one recently please write me and let me know about the deal that you got : tonymarfil@hotmail.com. Also, would a larger down payment help me in any way to get a better deal?

I'm also looking at the Saab 9-5, a very different car, but I love there no hassle pricing. Especially on the lease deals.

Thanks to all and best regards.

Tony
  • Options
    arizonianarizonian Member Posts: 8
    Last week I found a post on this forum, fresh alloy, or possibly another forum in which the pricing and option packages of the G35 Coupe were linked to.

Can someone help me find it again as I am unable to. I am certain that the link was to the Coupe info as it mentioned LSD in the second option package and pricing was different from the Sedan.

I did not pay much attention to the link because I thought it would be posted on infiniti.com already and now cannot find it anywhere.

Help!
  • Options
    speedracer3 & tonyg35... Thought most people here, myself included, are trying to learn all about the car. Good things (RWD, power), bad things (prop rods, odd option pkgs), neutral things (fuel economy), future things (6-speed, Coupe, reliability, resale), all things (colors & styling). I know I am going to need to buy a new car in the future. I certainly think today that there is a strong probability that the G35 will be on my future shopping list. The G35 has potential. I'm trying to learn if it is going to live up to that potential. But I certainly don't expect a board like this to be nothing but cheerleading about a particular car or marque. No car or marque is perfect. Competition is good for all marques. I'm praying Infiniti builds a great performing and reliable G35 6-speed w/LSD at a decent price.
  • Options
    I would speculate the G will have a good performing and reliable manual 6 speed. It is based on the same FM platform and VQ engine as the 2003 Nissan 350Z. From past experience with the Z car and it's performance heritage, I would safely bet the manual will be crisp and precise.

As a bonus, the yen is currently weak against the US. greenback, US. consumer will get more for less.

btw. According to your profile, you are shopping for a 2003 BMW M5 or Infiniti g35? Anyway, not important; good luck with your decision.

Tony,
  • Options
    tonymarfil - I don't think there is a snowball's chance you will be able to get the lease down to ~$400 per month (with less than 25% down). $620-650 is more like it. Infiniti isn't offering ANY lease incentives like they are with the Q45 or I35.

riez - Go G35, Go! GO G35 GO! Rah! Rah! :)

Also, are you really saying that something like having a "prop rod" (I assume for the hood) is something you would consider to be a bad thing? With the aluminum hood of the G35, it is SO light that the extra cost of hydraulic lifters isn't needed. Heck, it may not be feasible because the hood is so light and those lifters tend to be so strong...

Scott
  • Options
    ensyensy Member Posts: 18
    Took a G35 out for a short drive last week on an impossibly cold day. Snow and ice everywhere here in Calgary during the coldest March since they started keeping records. (They say spring will be here soon but when...?)

I wanted to see how the car handled on ice since I have owned a FWD G20 for years and found it unbeatable in these conditions. The switch to RWD was intimidating.

I took the car out and found the traction control and braking system (VDC in Infinti jargon) very impressive.

Went around one particularly icy corner on a residential street and the salesperson told to put my foot in it. I laid on the gas as I was turning the corner and back end stepped out about 5 inches, then sharply returned where it belonged and I carried on up the street. Pretty impressive!

My concerns were allayed further when I took it out into a snow and ice covered parking lot and starting goofing around with and without the VDC system engaged. It is certainly different from my old G20 but I was sold. It is very predictable and solid on the slick stuff. All this on all-season tires.

The RWD vs. AWD issue was a real concern of mine but I am now okay with the RWD combined VDC and have ordered a silver/black with Aero package. (I will likely run winter tires just to be a bit more secure on winter roads although the all seasons seemd awfully good.)

As I posted earlier, our local dealer is offering a $500 loyal customer reduction on the MSRP but is otherwise non-negotiable on the price.
  • Options
    no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    I live in an area (desert Southwest) where the city doesn't see significant snow, but have had unexpected encounters w/ice & snow when commuting to work or driving thru Southern California at higher elevations. There isn't a market for snow tires locally as there's no use for them unless you frequent ski country. Did you feel and observe control at higher speeds too? I wonder how the car would do on a patch of deceptive black ice?
  • Options
    kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I really like the looks of the G35 coupe. It will be close to having a 350Z with seating for 4! 275hp will not hurt matters. I'm excited about the new G35. I think it is the first true competitor to come out of Infinity in a long time. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.
  • Options
    greddygtrgreddygtr Member Posts: 54
    For anyone who hasn't seen pictures of the g35 coupe take a look at autoweek.com .

Although I like the styling of the sedan I think the coupe is a much more attractive car. The coupe appears lower, wider and much more aggressive while still looking classy enough to bear its luxury nameplate. The back of the coupe is also a huge improvement over the goofy rear of the sedan imo.
  • Options
    jpappas123jpappas123 Member Posts: 21
    I was working on VPP numbers. Which actually didnt affect the residuals at all. I was offered 53% residual with a bad money factor. Basically here is how it shook out for me. no money down lease but put down 1700 in first payment, security, etc... vs buy the car for 60 months at 5.9 with the same 1700 out of pocket was only $100 more a month. For me the buy was a no brainer.
  • Options
    jpappas123jpappas123 Member Posts: 21
    I was curious about this model too. I called around the country and no one has seen one. From what I was told again and again by dealers this trim level was just designed so they could have a really low starting price in their marketing campaigns. This would be a car you would definately have to order.

Just another thought for you though. If you get the cloth you cant get any other options...
  • Options
    stsurbrook... Yes, I do consider it a bad thing for a $28-36,000 luxury sport sedan to use a prop rod. Is equally bad in any of its competitors as well. Seems plain cheap and unnecessary for its price and target market. Enough to lose a sale? No. But enough to be completely out of character with the rest of the car.

I can't wait to talk to some Infiniti salesperson a year or two from now and ask him or her what it was like to have to prop open the hood in the showroom each and every time someone wanted to look at the engine! Here they were touting all the luxury and nice features and then they have to prop open the hood. Too funny! I'm guessin' the salespeople will fall all over themselves to open the hood and hold up the hood for potential buyers rather than face the shame of watching the person open the hood, expect a strut, and find themselves searching for the prop rod and then having to use it, esp. in a loaded car with a $36,000 window sticker.

I'll bet you $100 that within a couple years future G35s won't be using a prop rod. If that is the case, then you know it was purely a cost-cutting move to keep price down at introduction. :)
  • Options
    greddygtr - my experience with the lease was similar to yours, but the difference was <$25/month. What were the payments (buy/lease) you were quoted?

riez - I guess you and I see things differently. The prop rod is basically a non-issue for me in a car with the G35's value. Especially considering how often I'm going to be opening the hood (rarely and only to show off the engine).

Add 15-20% to the price (ala some of the competition) and I WOULD expect the G35 to have those types of inconsequential nicities. However, I would, personally, prefer they spend the money on something I would use more often... like having #*(^$% memory mirrors to go along with the seats! For my situation, that is a HUGE oversight. Especially when you consider the cost to add something like that (probably <$10).

See, I don't only have good things to say about the car... :) It just happens to be, IM(not so)HO, the best value for enthusiasts (who can currently live without a manual tranny).

Scott
  • Options
    (Soapbox Mode On)

I've noticed the term "enthusiast" being thrown around here in discussions, specifically as it relates to how no "true" enthusiast would buy a car without a manual transmission (therefore, no true enthusiast would buy a G35). Seems to me, that making a point like that misses a couple of key issues.

First, we are talking about people who are "enthusiasts", defined as, "One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar; fervor of mind; an ardent and imaginative person." The question is, "Enthusiast of what?"

The impression I get, from the posts bemoaning the lack of a manual transmission (which I would also like, but won't buy because my wife doesn't drive manuals), I get the impression of those people who enjoy cars with great handling, quick acceleration, and great automotive design. These are the people who participate in long weekend drives, any chance to get onto the local road track, etc. Basically, the kind of person I used to be. I miss that old me. The person who would make the time to do those things. However, my priorities have changed and I wouldn't trade my 2-1/2 year-old daughter for any car... :)

Second, enthusiasts would almost invariably desire a performance car, more, if it were uncomfortable and/or homely, basically, a real sleeper. We didn't quibble if the car had a few defects, so long as it delivered that shiver down your spine when you accelerated or took a tight curve at an improbable speed. A car you had to work on yourself because no one else could get it running "just right". (Darn, I'm starting to sound like Jay Leno...)

The old Triumph's and Jaguar's were like that. So were the Datsun 240Z's.

Third, then came the pseudo-enthusiasts (amongst whom I now count myself) who wanted a car that performed fairly well (second), but had to have the luxuries that these typically well-heeled buyers could afford (first). In many ways, we have ruined the term enthusiast. We don't enjoy just driving the cars, but end up nit-picking every little detail. So much so, that when a newcomer arrives, it is seen by many for what it isn't, rather than what it is!

For you BMW fans out there. Yes, the BMW's are fine cars (they should be for the price they charge). BMW created the sport sedan market and have set the standard ever since. However, there are some inherent problems that arrogance leads to, and BMW is beginning to show the effect of those problems.

As an example, I was talking to a BMW salesman a couple days ago about what the new model year had in store. He said that there would be no meaningful changes with the new model year because the current incarnation was only four years old and BMW only made major changes every seven years, "unlike the Japanese car makers who change every four or five years."

While I can see how longer refresh cycles might help in the resale area, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem with BMW's.

Fourth, what this attitude is saying is that the way things have always been done is the way things should always be done. (Don't get me started on the bad business decisions this superiority belief has made many companies make...)

This is ludicrous and is probably why, after 20 years, BMW is getting its first real competitors, and they are from Japan. Ironic when you think about the fact that when BMW first introduced their sport sedan (the 2002, if I remember correctly), the Japanese were only known for making cheap cars. So in about 20 years, the Japanese have gone from not even close to nipping on their heels.

Personally, it seems to me that the rate of closure has almost caught up to BMW and they are going to get passed in the next five or so years and are going to have a heck of a time trying to speed/catch back up.

So, what does this have to do with the G35 and being a (pseudo)enthusiast? The point is that the G35 approaches more of what used to be the "enthusiast ideal" than the others in the current crop in the $30-40K range (the Subaru WRX seems to embody that ideal in current cars). The G35 may be lacking some of the refinements of the standard setters, but, considering it is a first year production, it does hit on all of the important aspects. The minor problems/discrepancies are something that the Japanese have been historically good at eliminating.

I'm glad that Infiniti has produced the G35 (and the soon-to-be-released coupe) as it provides some competition to market leaders who have, IMNSHO, been getting much too arrogant for their own good.

(/Soapbox Mode Off)

Go G35, go! Rah! Rah!

Scott
  • Options
    a3a12498a3a12498 Member Posts: 17
    There have been a few posts regarding leasing vs. purchasing, with one poster suggesting a $100 difference. Wheile these numbers represent the Canadian prices, the math is valid for US$ as well.

Here is my rationale for leasing rather than buying (lease calculator at: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm). Using my G35 as an example, the lease on $46,000 over 36 months at 6.9% and 59% residual is $841 per month, including taxes. Using Quicken's loan calculator, $46,000 plus 14.5% taxes makes a loan of $52,670. at the same interest rate of 6.9% the monthly payment is $1040.44 per month. After 36 months the amount owing is $23,262, approx $4000 less than the residual from the lease. However, the lease payments are $200 per month less, which over 36 months is $7200 less than buying. So for the first 3 years the cost of the car is actually cheaper than buying, and the dealer takes all of the risk, e.g. what happens to its value if you have an accident, and it needs $5000 worth of repairs. A car that has been in an accident is worth less than one that hasn't. Also the value of leasing is exemplified by my current lease of a 1999 BMW 750iL, due for return in May 2002. The lease shows this car with a residual of $82,000 Cdn, but its current market value, as pristine, and low mileage as it is, is about $65-70K. If I had bought rather than leased, I would have taken this hit, rather than BMW. I bought a new 1989 BMW 750iL in 1989 for $110,000 plus tax, spent another $15,000 in repairs and add ons during the 6 years I had it, and with 75k miles on it, the best I could get for it in 1975 was $28,000. Its value suffered in part from the 740s coming out in 1991.

My recommendation is to crunch the numbers, but don't discount leasing out of hand. In my view, leasing has a definite place in your car financing decision.
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I've been researching and driving cars for over a year now, and I haven't found a car that was more impressive than the Infiniti G-35. It beats everything else in every category that is close to the price. It has better performance than Audi, BMW and Mercedes for less money, and is miles ahead in innovations and design.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I currently lease a 2000 Lincoln LS with Manual Tranny. My monthly lease is $475, including an ESP maintainance plan. It's a 3 year Red Carpet Lease with a 51% Residual and due June 30th, 2003. I get and put on 15,000 miles a year.
    As the resale in this soon discontinued model is probably going to take a dive, I am much better off leasing than buying. The dealer is probably going to beg me to buy this car at expiration.
    Another two advantages: Being self-employed, I write off 80% of my lease payments, insurance and out of pocket parts/service (like the Borla exhaust and new air box). Also, I can run Solo2 in the car every month and turn it in and not have to worry about belts, hoses and all those items that come-up in the 3-4 year mark.
    So for me, leasing makes sense. I can keep the car or turn it in for a G35 six-speed, which by the Summer of 2003, be fairly refined in price, options and demand/supply. But I may spring for the Coupe if I can fit my kids in the back!
  • Options
    bjbird2, I share the same sentiment with you, although I only test drove the G35 and BMW330.

My choices were narrow down to BMW330 and the G35. Performance and handling was equally impressive in both cars. However, G wins for overall value, first class Infiniti reliability and service.

Although, I could afford both car, I couldn't justify spending the extra 6k US dollars. The snob factor and BMW propeller emblem is not worth the extra $$. I'll use the money I saved to take the family out for a nice vacation this summer :)

BMW has set the standard in Performance sedan, however this G35 is pretty darn close (breathing down BMW's neck) , and will only get better. Considering this is the first year model in the US, Infiniti has done a great job.

With a few more years of refinement, it will win more hearts. If I were BMW executives, I would be a little nervous about the competition right now.

Thank you Infiniti for giving us choices. You have a homerun with the G35.

Tony
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    The arrogance you speak of, ssturbook, in the BMW salesman could be the stereotypical Germanic thing or, more likely, it's just a salesman spouting off. Another way of describing the model stability of the German cars is to observe the time they take to perfect a design, and have the ability to because they can sell as many cars as they make.

Other companies (Nissan?) who are playing catchup have to change more often because the design may be flawed or the public may lose interest. In the extreme case of Chrysler they radically rollover (obsolesce) a design every couple of weeks! (And no, I'm not putting Nissan in the same pile as Chrysler -- I've loved both cars I've owned and the G is a great little car.)

But I got a chance to borrow my buddy's '99 540iA sport pkg yesterday, and mygawd there is nothing to compare that doesn't begin with an 'M.' I mean the feel, the sound, the seats, the heft of the car, and even the luxury -- of course it's many thousands of dollars more expensive, but it is not, I repeat, a comparable brand or model. I agree that there is a snob factor of several thousand dollars built into a BMW ( I don't know this, just guessing), but imagine this comparison of, say, the 530i, if it were several thousand dollars cheaper (paying just the part you're paying for the car, not the badge, i.e.)

Admittedly, it's to the credit of the G that the comparison stands up, but I still feel that the only area that the G is clearly superior in is value.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    I like them both, one of the best value for my hard earn money.
  • Options
    stsurbrook... An interesting dissertation. Can't say I disagree with too much. However, think your analysis about the comparative and relative positions of BMW to Japanese car companies is flawed.

Keep in mind that in the late 1950s and early 1960s BMW was so financially strapped that it almost went bankrupt and had to build Isetta-derived bubble cars. Hardly enthusiast vehicles! Neither was its replacement, the 700, which used a small motorcycle engine mounted in the rear.

You should keep in mind that the Japanese auto industry came of age in the 1960s. Honda came up with its wonderful little S800 roadster in 1965. Toyota came out with its 2000GT super-sports car in 1967 (more advanced than the similar looking Jag E-type and possibly one of the most advanced cars in the world then, and still competitive in many ways today) and the Celica in 1970. Datsun came out with its groundbreaking 240Z in 1969.

So Japan Inc. was fully capable of designing, building, and marketing great sports cars by 1970. So what happened after that? It wasn't because they weren't capable. The fate of the 240Z thru unlamented 300ZX might be most instructive! Or look at the Celica and Supra sagas. And Honda choose to focus on Civics and Accords, going completely mass market and giving up the enthusiast market until the NSX comes out about 25 years after the S800.
  • Options
    carsrcoolcarsrcool Member Posts: 26
    The BMW story is simply amazing...how they were able to gain the market position from where they were in just 30 years.

And yes, there was a Japanese prime time for technology and sports cars that ended in the mid 90s when Nissan (300ZX) Mazda (RX7), and Toyota (Supra)called it quits....for various reasons. One significant reason was the pricing had gotten out of hand because of adverse exchange rates. Yen had gone down to 80 something/dollar. Now the yen is back in the 130/dollar range. The 3rd gen RX7 in 93 was the MT Car of the Year. In 95 it was gone....because no one would pay $40k+ for it. The 300ZZ was expensive as well, and by the end of it had moved away from the things that had made it successful. The new Z now appears to be closer to being what made the original Z successful. Good performance, good value.

I for one am very happy to see Nissan/Infiniti and Mazda returning to the performance sedan/sports car arena. Competition is a good thing. I had cooled off on the G35 sedan (no manual) but now the G35 coupe has really gotten my attention.
  • Options
    I did hear on one forum (Freshalloy I think) about someone buying one. The whole biz of having a low price model that is not really available kinda burns me. Not sure if I would want that model, but this seems like a case of false advertising to me.
  • Options
    gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    I just had to jump in the fascinating dicussion going on between the origins of Nissan and BMW cars (beats discussion on real estate hands down).

You also have to look at the culture of the two countries where the respective cars are born. The Germans, and I would venture to say Europeans in general, favor continuity in their cars. The have feel deep connection to their past - and you see it in the car designs. Each successive model shares many visual cues with the previous model. So you see the twin kidney grill, or the "Hofmeister kick" in BMWs. In fact, line up just about all the cars from European manufacturers and I would bet a small fortune that the average non-car-enthusiast average-Joe will be able to group the cars in the respective families - i.e., Bimmers with Bimmers, Benzez with Bnezez, Renaults with Renaults, etc.

The benefit to us folks here in the U.S. in particular is that since these European cars carry some design themes through the generations, the cars hold better resale value. The new generation does not make the old generation too old, simply a gradual improvement - it is not a shock to see a new model since the familial links are still there. Secondly, Yanks share more of their culture with the Europeans than they do with the Japanese. So Americans also prefer some continuity and gradual evolution in the car design - like the Corvette, for example.

This is also the reason why I think the new BMW 7er has met with much howls of protests from the European press. It is a dramatic departure from the previous generation, and frankly the Europeans have NEVER seen such a shift from ANY European manufacturer, much less the conservative BMW.

But when you look to car makers across the other ocean in Japan, you do not see that same continuity. To Japanese buyers, if a new model shares similar styling cues with the previous generation, then it makes the new version look "old." As if anything associated with the previous version implies that the car maker took the old car and touched it up a bit, but it is still the old model, not a new model (to the Japanese at least).

As for the 4 year life cycle vs. the 7-8 year lifecycle (the Mercedes SL roadster was replaced after 12 years FYI), you have to look at the situation in each home market. In Europe, the European car makers still sell the majoriy of thier cars in their home market. Germany is BMWs and Benzes largest market. France is Renaults largest market. Except for boutique car makers like Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc., for all the other car makers, thier home market is still thier largest market. When you couple the fact that the home market is doing reasonably well and the customer likes the gradual evolution in design, the car manufacturer has much less incentive to invest massive capital and resources in a model redesign, and at least lengthen the time horizon.

In Japan though, the economy is essentially an export economy, especially now with Japan being in a recession for thepast decade. They have to continually come up with something new in order to push the products out the door.
  • Options
    norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    joeandcarol2: Nope, can't get Infiniti on false advertising. I bought a silver cloth on 03-22-02. Thousand Oaks Infiniti has 3 cloth in stock and Concord Infiniti has one. The cloth is of very good quality but I can't recommend the 6-way manual seats. I simply COULD NOT find a comfortable driving position. It was so bad, I sold my silver G35 to Concord Infiniti and lost a big chunk of my buttocks in the process. If you think nothing is true on the Internet, just call Greg Zehms at Concord Infiniti (925) 676-0200, and ask him if some idiot sold him a one week old cloth G35. I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw all my praise for Thousand Oaks Infiniti. They sold me down the river big time!!
  • Options
    can you describe the cloth? Is the trunk nicely finished like the leather models (the roof of the trunk is finished for instance)? Sorry for your situation. If I ever consider one seriously, I'll pay close attention to the seating comfort. So what did you do? Buy a leather model?
  • Options
    gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    A word of warning to folks considering buying the cloth interior of the G35.

If you thought the resale value of most Infiniti's is bad, wait until you try to sell a cloth version of the G35 in 3-4 years.

Unless you plan to keep your car for 10 years or longer, I would not recommend the cloth version.

Just my opinion
  • Options
    petras1petras1 Member Posts: 3
    Ensys

I live in Calgary too and it seems winter conditions will continue to prevail for a while. See you ordered a build ( let me guess Hyatt Infiniti ) when do they expect to deliver ?. Noted your comment on price I have heard they are not moving yet from MSRP. I have seen that some dealers have offered lifetime oil changes, may be worth a shot.Was interested in the I 35 and decided to wait to see what the G looked like. Two different cars, I like them both but am leaning to the G. Probably with the premium package, desert platinum and willow interior. I have demo'd the I 35 just haven't had time for the G. I'd be interested on your thoughts on the Aero package and the perceived valued of this $ 1500.00 option. Viewed it at the International Car Show here a few weeks back and thought it looked alright. Interested in a snappy car that can get me to work and back on the Deerfoot safely.
  • Options
    norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    Actually, the cloth seats are a very high quality material. The bolsters are a very soft suede and the seats are a very plush fabric. I have never seen a better quality cloth in a car. The batting is a light gray that adds a touch of elegance to the seat. The trunk is the same as the leather. I liked the 16" wheels much better than the 17". The tires are Turanza grand touring. MUCH quieter and smoother than the 17". For me, the tires were just great as I'm not much of a boy racer. I know resale would have been poor with cloth but our summers here in the central California valley get up to 110 degrees. 8 way power cloth seats for me would have been the cats meow. I didn't get a leather car yet. Seeing that I am working the next month for free to make up for this blunder, I'm a little jaded with Infiniti right now. I just mailed off a letter to Mark McNabb who is the Infiniti North American VP and dumped on him. I mentioned that I could have very easily stopped payment on my check (I paid cash) but I elected to go the gentlemanly route. Who knows, he might even attempt to make things right. I mentioned the old Saturn commercial where they told the story of the Saturn tech flying a seat to a customer in Alaska in a single engine plane. What do you guys think? Will I ever hear from Infiniti again? Thousand Oaks Infiniti dumped me like a hot potato.
  • Options
    jwilson1 - "perfect" a design? Matter of opinion since reliability of the European vehicles is well behind that of the Japanese. (BTW, the attitude thing from the salesman was not unique to that one person, another who I had talked to while waiting had the same attitude.) Also, according to recent reviews, there are some who think BMW is going the wrong direction (steering power boost, I-drive).

Personally, I don't think that Gen-X (and those that follow, I missed that one, officially, by two years) is as conservative as the Baby Boomers are. This can be seen by the vehicles that are being marketed to that generation. Heck, one of the major reasons why Benz bought Chrysler was because of their design teams. Once the Gen-Xers get into the sweet spot in buying power, these conservative companies will be in trouble... IMO. :)

As for the Japanese, "playing catch-up" they are doing and doing well. Apparently better than the leaders are playing "stay ahead", which was the point of my earlier post. The leaders can keep their heads in the sand and miss out or can take note and stay ahead. Corporate America is littered with the bodies of companies that didn't pay attention to changes in consumer tastes.

I do think that it is unfair to say that the reason why the Japanese are changing their designs so often (they can be slow, note how the base LS400 remained unchanged of >10 years) is because they are flawed. It is true that Nissan had lost its way, but that can hardly be said for Toyota/Lexus.

Finally, I agree with you that the G35 is a great value, which was my point. I didn't say it was, unconditionally better than anything the competition had to offer, just in those areas that counted for me (and many other pseudo-enthusiasts). :)

Scott
This discussion has been closed.