Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Super Duty

Comments

• tom18tom18 Member Posts: 89
    Is their a site that shows the cab steps in the
    Lariat package on either F250 or F350 or can you
    get a good feel by looking at a Ford Expedition ?
    Do you need or are you wise to get the PTO (power
    take off) option if you want to snowplow? What is the best small plow,easy hookup product for this truck? Anyone plowing out there? What's the verdict on this truck (SD - F250/350)
  • cowpokescowpokes Member Posts: 33
    Well what the H#ll do you know, post a note whining about delivery time and I get a E-mail from my dealer that the truck is in. Now I can put the subaru justy(recycled beer can)back in the barn. Man I had forgotten since the test drives how big the thing is.
    I would like to thank all the regulars here for all the info and reading material that keeps those of us who are/have been waiting for our trucks, not as crazy as we could have been.

If any one is looking for a dealer to talk to, the person I went through was really honest about everything. When I ordered, all I had to put down was a hand shake. The price I was quoted at the time I ordered, was the price I paid last night.
    As far as I can tell from looking at the previous posts and going through multiple car pricing sites I got about as good a price as a single vehicle buyer can get. His info

Isaac Pacheco, commercial accounts manager, Garnsey & Wheeler Ford Greeley CO
    fleet@gwford.com, I have only dealt with him he is the person in charge of the internet business.
    I know he does alot of business all over the country, he is worth the time to contact him.

Thanks again for all the help folks

Go Bronco's
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Gobrownfish,

Give me a shout when you get that truck home and tell me what you think! Did you order the S Cab or CC? I could'nt remember! You will be impressed I'm sure! Oh Yes Go Vikes!

Mroffshore
  • trap2trap2 Member Posts: 19
    Casper, I've got an F350 crew 5.4 swb with a Western Unimount Polypro (the bumper stays where it's at). I ordered this truck with the snow plow prep package, the only crew cab that I know of that can handle the plow w/o voiding the manufacturers warranty. I've had no problems pushing snow with this truck, and it's been getting a workout for the past two weeks up here in Northeast Ohio.

P.S. I've still got that vibration/hum that the dealer says is normal.
  • tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    To all of you waiting for your trucks. Just read in the paper that a wheel manufacturer is at least 2 weeks behind in delivery. It didn't say in the paper what wheel it was, but I'm guessing it's the Alcoa wheel. Anybody else hear anything on this? Good luck to all, it's worth the wait!
  • gobrownfishgobrownfish Member Posts: 44
    Mroffshore, yes she followed me home all right.
    Just got in the door from picking up the "Brute"
    and I am tickled to death. The V-10 has all the
    pep I will need to haul that bassrig all over
    this great big U S of A. Got less than 100 miles
    on it but can't find any bugs so far. I tried the
    ESOF at 5mph, then 15mph and then 25mph with no
    noise or clunks at all. Don't figure I need to
    be engaging 4X4 at any speed greater than 25mph.
    The premium sound system is great and the premium
    wheels are nicer than picture shows. All in all
    it appears to be "just what the doctor ordered".
    By the way mroffshore I did indeed get the super
    cab. Well fellows I got to go and get my pillow
    and blanket ready---can't let the Brute get lonely
    on the first night home.
    Thanks for all the good posts.......From all...
    The Brown Fish Man.
  • KEH4x4KEH4x4 Member Posts: 109
    Congrats Fishman!! So do you agree? Was it worth the wait?
    What needs to be done before welding on a Super? I have heard to disconnect the battery. Someone else said to just make sure the engine is running so you don't mess up the alternator.
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Disconnect the Battery !
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    Engine running? Disconnect the battery? Why?

When the welder is connected, the ground is within six inches of the point of weld. All the current goes between those two points. The voltage is only about 25-30 volts. Just switching your fan motor or A/C clutch creates spikes much greater than that. Also, for the alternator to be damaged a current needs to flow through it. So the current flows from the chassis (i.e. Ground or Earth as the Brits say.) to the alternator ground to the positive side of the alternator to the battery and back to ground? I don't think so.
    Rich
    Worth the wait.....Amen...
    We be tickled in Tennessee.....
    Wonder is MJE ever got his truck. He did
    have the record for waiting.
    Ye'all have a great weekend.
    We be going after them smallmouth at 06:00 in the
    morning. Life is good.
    The Brown Fish Man
  • mjemje Member Posts: 33
    gobrownfish; funny you should ask. First, congrats on finally getting the baby home. I am excited for you. Got a call today and the truck is to be built next Tues., so looking at about 3 more weeks or so. At least the end is in site. Please keep posting about your new baby to get me through the next few weeks. I certainly appreciate the fact that your still thinking about me. If any of us ever get together do I get a medal for the longest wait? Ha! If the truck comes in 3 weeks it will be 25 weeks from order. Thanks again! As I live in Mn I have to get this in here: Go Vikes!!!
  • dennis4dennis4 Member Posts: 47
    Congrats! Glad you finally got 'er home. What color(s) did you get? I think our trucks could be twins,as they seem to have the same options and mine was ordered on 8/26. Good luck with it, as I'm sure you're gonna love it.
    Dennis
    P.S. It's great in the snow too.
  • jakegajakega Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a sd within the next month. My question is do I need to get a dually. I understand that it will be more stable but will a 250 or 350 srw do just fine?

I will be pulling a 5th wheel 36+ft trailer with two race cars in it. Plus all the tools and equipment. Right now I am pulling a 24' with a 97 f150 and the stability is terrible.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Is this going to be used mostly for towing? If so, I'd get the dually and the camper package (adds a stiffer anti-roll bar). That's the way mine is optioned, and its rock-solid in the back. As long as the duallys won't hurt you in non-tow manuverability (I use mine as a daily driver anyway) why not go with them? The upcharge isn't much.
    I agree with stanford. I pull a 36' travel trailer (62' total length) behind a CC 4x4 drw without the slightest sway. As for the duals, you may have to walk into Mcdonalds rather than use the drive thru, small price to pay for great stable ride.
    tnt2,
    I've seen posts that say that the trailer towing mirrors stick out just about as far as the dualy's fenders. That tells me that my F-250 with the mirrors won't be able to go through the drive through either.

I guess it doesn't make much sense to forgo the dually if the towing mirrors are another limiting factor.
    Rich
    Heck, my dually can fit through most of the drive-thrus in this area anyway. Takes some crawling through the first time, but it gets easier once you know you'll fit. The loss of turning radius from the 4X4 still surprises me every now and then though -- thats far more often the problem going round the back corners than overall width.

The mirrors stick out slightly farther, which is useful -- if they make it, the delicate fiberglass will too.
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    To RBAHR1
    I have a 99SD in dark hunter green w/prarie tan bottom and I just love it. It's really hard to tell from the little one inch samples of paint they give you, but I don't think you will regret it.
    To Tom18
    I plow with a Western 8'unimount, and both truck and plow get along just fine.
  • alpmanalpman Member Posts: 12
    I start the wonderful process next week and hope everything goes smooth. I would like to hear about people who have the crew cab and short bed. Are you happy and how is it driving in town. I'm debating supercab or crewcab. Thanks
  • tmd01tmd01 Member Posts: 23
    Down here in Houston, we've had to get E-Z tag permits to go through the toll road gates simply because we got tired of unjamming our dually's out of the "exact change" lanes and some of the "truck lanes". We have to be very careful going through exit and entrance toll gates.
    Fellows I got a bad problem with my new SD.
    Saturday I went Grouse hunting in my old 1990 Ford
    F-150 and when I got back my SD was gone with my
    16 yr old daughter. Didn't get to drive it all
    day sat. Sunday came back from church and planning on takeing the new SD through town a few
    times to show it off and she has it and gone again. I haven't drove the thing since I picked
    it up friday. Now dad is stuck with a 98 Mustang.
    This is not the way it is suppose to go.......
    She loves the SD over a 98 Mustang....go figure.
    Wait 4 1/2 months and still don't have a SD.
    Life aint fair....
    The Brown Fish Man.
  • singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    Getting into the winter blahs, we all needed a laugh!! Hey, but don't forget to make her pay for the gas!!! Anyway...flash on the mirrors....Camping World will make telescopic mirrors available on the SD F250's sometime early Spring...they are currently avail. on Chevy & Dodge...sugg. pr....$450/pair. Are they worth it...well, they move your mirrors out 6". Currently, the Power Trlr.Mirrors are exactly 103" wide, while the standard mirrors are 99" wide. Personally, I may look into the telescopic mirrors, when avail. P.S...edge to Denver in the Super B.

JB
  • paulgoepaulgoe Member Posts: 2
    Anybody who has a SD with the Diesel, can you
    give me an estimated Miles Per Gallon?
    F350 CC 4x4 DRW & 4:10 gears....14 avg. daily.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    F350 CC 4x4 V10 with 3.73 (my buddies truck) 12.25 mpg daily.
    F350 CC 4x4 V10 with 4.30 (city, reformulated gas) 9.8-10.2 daily.
  • chesakchesak Member Posts: 18
    I live in West Bend, Wisconsin and I'm interested in ordering a '99 F250 Lariat, V10, regular cab, 4WD. I called numerous local dealers today to see if I could test drive the V10, but so far I've only located one. I was told they're hard to come by. One dealer said the gas mileage on the V10 would be comparable to my '95 F250 4WD truck. I read in the Consumer Guide that gas mileage, maneuverability, and price were negatives from their review. I would appreciate any comments on how others rate the truck.
    What do you want to use it for? Mine's a daily driver and I have very few complaints. The turning radius is crap, but a CC DRW 4X4 will do that for you. Very solid, very capable (most I've pulled is 7000# and barely felt it once we were on the highway, not much of an issue in town either). Its wide, even without the DRW, but not significantly so. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the 3.73:1 gears, as it is I may add a 20% overdrive unit to help the highway miles tick on by.
    BTW: Where is West Bend? I go up visiting to the Lowell and Racine areas 4-5 times a year. Made the last trip in the SD -- apart from wishing a deeper overdrive everything went just fine, including the ice storm in Texas the day before Christmas Eve.
    One more comment: Price an issue? Those guys are nuts. Edmunds just voted the F250SD one of their Most Wanted vehicles, cleanly winning the Fullsize Trucks Under $25,000 category. That regular cab you mentioned would comfortably invoice well under $25,000.
    West Bend is about 30 miles north of Milwaukee. I only have 19,000 miles on my '95 F250 4WD truck, so I don't put on many miles. I have a company van for work, so I only use the truck for pleasure, hauling building materials, and a little bit of snowplowing. I have a 7 1/2 foot Western plow on it, and you hardly know it's there. I'm interested in the V10 for the same reasons. It sound like delivery times vary depending upon the dealer and location. I plan to order one after I test drive the V10.
    Your dealer is probably right in that lariot reg. cabs are hard to come by. Most dealers standard orders are for ext. cab and crews in the lariot package, or so I'm told. I've yet to see one (lariot reg cab) on a lot or on the road. Just clicked 30,000 on my powerstroke, not first problem! Maneuverability is all in what you get use to. I can't drive my wife's expedition because it handles too quick.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    re #179:

hmmm...

a 16 year old girl piloting a Super Duty... Where were girls like that when I was in high school? I might not still be single now!!
    I saw some discussion about adjustments made to available colors, so the literature I have may not be accurate. Does anyone know if Amazon Green Clearcoat Metallic or Deep Wedgewood Blue Clearcoat Metallic is available on the SD F250 Lariat?
  • tom18tom18 Member Posts: 89
    Is this option necessary to snowplow can anyone tell pros/cons?

62R Transmission Power Take-Off Provision
    REQUIRES (44E) transmission and (99S) engine or (99F) engine. $213 $250
    Can anyone explain classIV hitch vs other hitch classifications example a class 3 hitch? Still looking for ideas on headrests for backseat in an SD supercab- anyone deal with this?
    Thank you #176 sd99 for info on plowing.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    stanford

what is a 20% overdrive unit?
  • longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    30 articles ago we were talking about welding, but I was offline...
    There is a booklet Ford publishes for body upfitters and the like and there is a pretty LONG list of what you are supposed to do before welding. It's available in PDF format from
    www.meadowlandford.com
    or you could check your local dealer.
    When I get a chance I'll pull out my copy and post a little more.
    It is my understanding that the class 3 and class 5 hitches for our trucks are both rated at 5000# tow and 500# tongue with a standard hitch on your trailer. BUT, a class 5 hitch is rated for 10,000# tow and 1000# tongue IF you use a weight distributing hitch on your trailer. (it says so on my factory installed class 5 hitch)
    Also, the class 5 hitch can ONLY be ordered if you also order the towing package or camper package.(at least thats what they told me when I ordered mine) They also told me that you can't get a DEALER installed class 5 hitch, only class 3. That is because the camper package and towing package give you a few heavy duty items such as battery, alternator, stabilizer bar, etc. They told me that they don't want trucks driving around with hitches stamped 10,000# when the trucks can't safely handle that much.
    I meant class 4
  • involuteinvolute Member Posts: 17
    I have never posted anywhere before but all of you seem like straight shooters so here goes. I just bought a 99 SD 250 w/ PSD and 6 speed tranny. Many of the "experts" I work with claim the PSD will go 300 - 400 thousand miles if properly maintained. (major factor in my decision to return a V10 after 1 whole day of ownership). I have recently read about many problems with injectors going out after about 120 K. And also the cavitation problem. Neither of which are cheap repairs. Has anyone here personally had problems with these two issues ? Or is this just problems a friends/cousins/uncle's/boss had ? I mean no offense to anyone with my statement, it just seems that many postings dealing with these two issues are heresay. I plan on keeping this truck till the cows come home and therefore will maintain it by the book and then some. I know next to nothing about diesels aside from the fact that I love driving this one. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    Atchley Ford in Omaha, NE advertised this past weekend they had 105 SDs in stock. Every time I've been over there they seem to have a good supply of different SD configurations on hand. My brother-in-law ordered his from them: F250 CC SB 4x4 PSD Lariat 3.73, $200 over invoice, 5 1/2 weeks from order to delivery.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    involute

i've reported some of these past problems because i myself have seen a lot of them. but one thing to consider is that the '99 is a "new" Powerstroke, so the past may not be revelant after all, maybe they will go 300,000. my experience with the current high tech automotive diesels is they have been expensive to maintain.
    Two subjects.

paulgoe,
    Mileage in an F-250 SD SC 7.3l, Auto, 3.73 LS rear end.
    Initially, 17 MPG mostly city and LA stop and stop traffic; BUT very gentle and breaking in.
    On the highway LA / Vegas at 80-85, better than 16 MPG, but not much. Lately on the freeway and more go than stop about 17 MPG. Now with 10000 miles and on the last tank 18.2 MPG. That was 25% city and stop and go traffic with 75% with cruise control set at 72 MPH. If I play in traffic (It's an LA thing.) the mileage drops off to the low 15s.

involute,
    You have purchased one of the most reliable engines on the road today. I see no reason why you shouldn't get 300,000 miles without major engine work. I know of an '84, 6.9L (Maybe '85) that was traded to his brother inlaw at 294K miles. The last I heard was that the B I L was still driving it but I don't know how many miles are on it now. My '99 is my third and the previous two totaled about a quarter million miles and weren't burning enough oil to add between changes. (AND that was always SAE 30 oil which burns faster than multi grade.)

The formula for a smooth running and long lasting engine is 99% common sense! Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance and common sense.

A diesel engine is designed to burn diesel fuel. NOT ATF! NOT peanut oil! NOT used french fry oil! You will hear the "Office Expert" say to put everything under the sun in the fuel tank. Typically these "Experts" have their heads where it is dark and don't smell very pleasant. Try to buy your fuel from branded stations and preferrably truck stops. (My brand preference has always been Flying-J, Unocal 76, Chevron and Texaco; in that order.) After the first 5,000 miles or so, I would start adding a good grade of lubricity enhancer to the fuel. I've been using Hoopes or Hoppers or something like that. It looks like honey in color and I add 1 oz. per quarter tank of fuel added. This conditioner can be purchased at most full service truck stops. A half gallon should last about 15-20 K miles. I think that I paid $9 for the half gallon. A small plastic baby bottle is an excellent measuring device. (This is the old style bottle that uses the nipples that DON'T look like mom's. Evenflo is the brand.) The nice part is that the neck of the bottle fits INTO the fuel filler pipe. You'll need to change your fuel filter every 15,000 miles.

If you're in cold weather, drain the water from the fuel filter and water separator at every tank fill up. In the summer, once every 3 to 5 K miles is ok.

Change your oil, all 14 quarts, and filter as recommended by Ford. I've been doing mine every 5,000 miles on all three vehicles. Usually I make the first oil change at 1,000 miles, the second at 3,000 miles and the third at 5,000 miles. There after, every 5,000 miles. The faster that you drive, the more oil the engine uses. This is true with gasoline engines also. I am, by nature, a frustrated NASCAR/CART/F1 wanna be. I drive too fast. I've rarely had to add oil between changes. The '99 SD has a deeper oil pan than older 7.3L engines. The Ford manual says that the crankcase capacity is 14 quarts. When 14 quarts are put in during the oil change, it appears to be over full. My last oil change I only put in 12 quarts and it finally hit the add mark after 4900 miles. Over and above everything else, be sure to use an oil that is formulated for diesel service. Ford suggests 15/40 in a SJ (I think) with a CH-4 rating. These are API terms and are fairly standard.

At fuel stops, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the oil. The reason is that you should be looking for oil increasing in the oil pan. This would mean a stuck injector. Diesel fuel is a poor lubricating agent and too much in the pan could cause very rapid bearing wear. The length of time that it takes to check the oil is nothing compared to the savings on repair costs later on. Checking the oil will give you a feel for how things are running.

Finally, cavitation issues. Yeah, it does happen but it is preventable. The problem is caused by an oscillation of the coolant during engine operation. The problem is more pronounced when the engine is operating under very heavy loads. International Havester (Navistar) suggests their product, Fleet Guard. Ford suggests FW-15 or FW-16 (A really intitutive name) as the solution. Ford suggests 8-10 ounces every 5,000 miles and at 48,000 or 36 months the coolant be changed. When the coolant is changed you have to condition the coolant with the Fleet Guard. I cant remember the exact mixture, but it's on the bottle of FW-16. (I think that they suggest 4 ounces per gallon. That's two bottles of FW-16 per radiator flush.)

Now the really good news. That's about all you have to do to last 300,000 miles.

There are many places to recycle used oil. The places that collect the oil usually sell it for 20-30 cents per gallon. You're doing them a favor. All of this maintenance can be performed by the average person. You save a bunch of bucks doing it yourself too. I've been doing all of this stuff since '86 on my diesels. My wife's '91 Accord went in for a small oil leak and belt change to the tune of $877 at 33,000 miles. I didn't spend that for maintenance in 130,000 miles on my '92. As you do your own maintenance you'll gain a greater appreciation for the vehicle and especially the diesel.
  • lemanslemans Member Posts: 43
    Well the wait is finally over. Boy is this thing is big. I picked up the 250, CC, PS, 4-wheel drive ,long bed yesterday. I now have 50 miles on it. For those of you who are waiting for your truck. The wait is worth it. It will take me a while getting use to driving something this big, but the wife and I both are tickled pink with it. I loaded it down with everything from off road to trailer towing packages with the Lairiat Packaage. Now we are looking at fifth wheel trailers.
  • cowpokescowpokes Member Posts: 33
    Hello Brownfish man and the rest of the folks, who spend time here.
    Yes I love my truck, it was more than worth the wait.
    I got a CC, long bed, SRW, 4wd, XLT, 5spd, manual hubs.
    I have already gotten the goose neck "hide-a-ball" installed, and the quick disconnect jumper cables, and had the exhaust system replaced from the cat back. The spray-on bedliner goes in on monday. New tires are scheduled this week.
    The V-10 seems to have all the power my 460 did.
    Thanks again to the folks who have kept the spirits up for those of us who were waiting for our trucks.
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Paulgoe,

F250, cc, LB,PSD, CAP, Trailer and tow pkg ect. Mileage : 17+ around town and 20-21 on the highway at 65-68 mph. I noticed a little less with the winter diesel fuel. Great mileage for a big truck.

Brownfishman,

You the man! I'm glad to hear your happy. My daughter wants to take my truck too, problem is she's only 6.5 years old! HAHAHA Daughters can't live with them can't live without them! HAHAHAHA!

My internet service at home has changed hands and I have lost access at home for a few days. E-mail me at school if you like for now until I get squared away. I may go to Bell Atlantic.Good luck with the new truck!

Professor Rich,

As usual another impressive post! I brings back fond memories during my uneducated diesel days! You know April 1998! HAHAHAHA Boy have I come a long way since then. Thank you very much.

I thought the manual recommends the fw 16 or 16 be added every 15,000 miles. You posted 5,000 miles. I'm at 10,000 now and do not want to blow the chance for proper maintenance. Also I opened the valve for the water drain on the fuel filter. Ford recommends every 5,000 miles. I did not see any water and it looked and smelled like fuel. I did not like the drain set up Navistar set up. All the fuel just shot all over the front axle and now its a dirt magnet. I thought the drain tube would run a little closer to the ground and away from any part of the drive train or frame. I guess I should change the fuel filter on the next oil change at 15,000 miles. Any suggestions on the proper procedure. I have the cost of the oil changes down to about $27-28.

Mroffshore
  • coachdmcoachdm Member Posts: 3
    I hope you guys can help me. I am going to order my super-duty F-350 srw 4x4 tommorrow. Would you suggest the v-10 or the psd. Also what gear ratio would you recommend for a 8900# camper. This truck will also be used to drive to work and its about a half mile one way. Would this be too short of a daily trip for a diesel? One last question is the limited slip rear end necessary?
    How many miles are you planning on putting on it with and without the camper? Are you at all concerned about the cost (either up-front or long-term)?
  • involuteinvolute Member Posts: 17
    Thanks guys for the response. I feel quite a bit better now. I'll plan on doing all the maintenance myself because I enjoy that type of bonding with my vehicle's. I am really looking forward to logging some miles on it. I have a lot of great areas here in Utah to visit and explore. This bulletin board is the only one I've spent any time reading due to the excellent advice and courteous mannerism's.(Your humor Rich is an added bonus) I'm sure glad I stumbled upon it. If you don't mind I will post any relevant information I come across, along with any problems I have in order to help out if possible. The dealer Service Rep. has told me that the 99's have a new "Splitfire" (I think) injector that is supposed to assist in performance. That little morsel of info. is worth what ya just payed for it. As far as the peanut oil and other voodoo fixes, I'll steer clear. My original reply seems to have gone to cyber limbo, so if any of you find it please excuse the redundancy.
This discussion has been closed.