Options

Honda CR-V Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    01426440142644 Member Posts: 8
    Are door edge guards worth getting? I know they are color matched, but do they look ok?
    Thanks
    jn
  • Options
    maryclovermaryclover Member Posts: 9
    A soft carrier sits on the roof between the cross bars and attaches to them via bungee cords or straps. Unlike a hard carrier (think Thule) the weight from it doesn't rest on the cross bars themselves, but on the roof. It's like a large structured duffel bag that you can put suitcases or other objects in so that they don't take up interior space. I have two dogs and am taking a trip with them, so I will need extra space for luggage etc.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I've used one with my 1999 CR-V. I got mine at WalMart for about $30. I was more worried about it scratching the roof then denting it, but I wasn't putting a lot of weight in the carrier. It worked fine, and even kept the contents reasonably dry through a midwest thunderstorm.

:)
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    We bought out cr-v from san leandro honda. I wasn't impressed with the delivery but I think it was better than your experience and probably on par with Honda's notion of "service". My husband chose black, despite warnings of scratches and dirt showing. When we took delivery the car was out of alignment, had little bits of the plastic still stuck on (we still can't remove it), had not been waxed or cleaned inside as part of the detailing, had hard water stains on the hood that I had to polish and compound (!!!) in order to remove. They make a damned good car (when it doesn't catch fire! ;-) but the customer service is deplorable. I wasn't impressed with any of the dealers we visited. Very different from my Subaru purchase. No pressure sale, the car came in perfect shape and freshly waxed, and the service department is golden.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    With Kolbe Honda in Reseda, CA. They delivered the vehicle in very good condition and have been excellent in the service department. Worth a small drive in southern CA...
  • Options
    kathgipkathgip Member Posts: 39
    I just bought my new CR-V from our local dealership here in OR. And it was immaculate. They even filled up the gas tank and took the time to show me all the cubbies and how everything worked on the inside. Very thorough and wanted to make sure this was an exceptional buying experience for me. No haggling on price, just walked in with a check and out with my new car. And to top things off, they sent me a box of cookies from the Carolina Cookie company as a thank you for doing business with them.
  • Options
    coolchidcoolchid Member Posts: 33
    Can anyone please advise how to carry a mountain bike in the CR-V. I have in 2004 & sometimes have to pick my son and his bike up. The bike fits in fine, but I'm looking for a way to secure it. I know that there is an accessory available for the Pilot. Has anybody adapted it or found a better way for the V to carry a mountain bike?
    Thanks,
    Norah
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    If it were me, I would go with the suggestions above for exterior mounting. Either the dealer accessory or U-Haul installed Class I hitch (1 1/4" recevier) or a custom Class II hitch (2" receiver). If you just have one or two bikes, I bet the Class I from H and A would do just fine (or U-Haul it).

You'll need the hitch, and bike mounting receiver (seperate). You could also go with the roof mounted rack listed above.

For internal bike storing, you might be able to find anchor kits to install in the body paneling but it will involve some minor drilling on your part most likely. IMO, internal storage of such things just means more vaccuuming later not to mention taking the front tire off, etc...

jp
  • Options
    juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    Hi, could anyone got experience how to install Front Splash Guards and wheel locks on CR-V? Is it difficult? I saw post here say teh Front Splash Guards seems necessary. I intend to buy it from http://www.handaaccessories.com. Could anyone offer help? I spent $195 cargo cover with installation at dealership. It seems very easy to do it yourself. And the internet price is only $130. What a difference.
  • Options
    jmolinskyjmolinsky Member Posts: 18
    Splash guards - It is WAY easy. You simply take out a couple of screws that are already there and then reattach those screws with the flaps in place. That's it.

Wheel locks. It is also way easy as all you need to do is use a lug wrench to remove one lug nut off of each wheel (after removing the cover on each wheel over the lugnuts, of course) and then replace it with a locking one. Of course, you should have a torque wrench when you reinstall to ensure you are reinstalling them with sufficient torque.
  • Options
    Thanks for your post. Julia
  • Options
    Julia,

re: torque. I have been rotating my own tires for a couple years now on a couple different subarus and hondas and found that all it takes my 150 lb frame to loosen (even after a profession torque job) and then re-tighten the lug nuts on the wheels is a gentle hop on the lug wrench that comes with the jack - in whatever car. I don't really need the torque wrench - if you don't feel like you want to buy new tools that you may never use again. FWIW

On the wheel locks - they sell them in auto parts stores for about $24 also. Don't know what H&A charges.

Elissa
  • Options
    Elissa
    Thanks for your post. I actually paid wheel locks from H&A at $29.95 plus 5.99 S&H. Their service is very fast. I bought it first at dealer at $59, then I returned it. I did not know auto parts sell these. Thanks tell me that.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,773
    You need the torque wrench for tightening the lug bolts, not loosening them... Otherwise, they might end up too tight, possibly bending the rotors.. just an fyi..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Anyone know the website which offers the cheapest price on the factory floor mats for the 2002 Honda CRV?
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Prices change fairly regularly depending on supply. Unless someone has purchased very recently, I suspect you'll have to do some comparison surfing.
  • Options
    revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Actually, I have been looking online and can only seem to find the rubber types or just plain mats that are generic.

Anyone know of some sites that offer the Honda CRV floor mats?
  • Options
    Hi, I am looking for seat covers for my new '04 EX. When I look on the internet, I get more and more confused. I went to www.seatcovers.net and they seem to have a lot of different styles and fabrics. And the price is pretty good. Does anyone know if a standard cover will fit? Or do I need to order custom covers? Any help or suggestions on where to find these will be very helpful. I want to get these ordered and on before the rains begin here in the NW. Thanks.
  • Options
    Sorry Revit. The standard floor mats were so common with the 1st gen, I assumed they would be for the 2002 models. But, you're right. I just checked three sites and didn't find them.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    check hondafloormats.com
  • Options
    I think I will have to have custom seat covers because of the back seat pockets. And also there is the little matter of the side air bags. They could not deploy with a standard seat cover because they are covered up. I just hate to pay upwards to $150 for a pair of custom covers. Any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks
  • Options
    If you've got side airbags, then you might be locked into the more expensive route. I know that Katskinz offers leather seating that works with the airbags. They use a laser to "perforate" the stitching over the airbag, thus allowing the bag to deploy.

But those will probably run about $1,000 or more depending on where you are and who does the install.
  • Options
    hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    Depends which floormats you are talking about, but I just bought the rubber ones last week because I wanted them for winter.

I found that the cheapest place (counting in shipping) was handaaccessories.com. There was another site that offered the floormats cheaper, but their shipping was outrageous.
  • Options
    I just purchased two sets of seat covers from http://www.great-covers.com (see their other site at http://www.gtcovers.com). These seat covers are custom made and sold in pairs (two front OR rear set) - they are the same ones you see in dealerships for $150. They sell for about $120 on the web site, $99 if you call and say you are an eBay customer, and about $1.99 (if you're REALLY lucky like me) and find what you need that no one else does) on their eBay store.

I really like the quality of the covers, ease of installation and the customer service. Highly recommend them! Also if you have side airbags, just tell them and they can make it so that the airbag deployment will work fine.

The covers include pockets, foam backing, velcro and straps to secure them, choice of fabric and pattern. Love 'em! They make my '86 Civic look almost new and I can't wait until they have the pattern for my '04 Forester.

Elissa
  • Options
    jim12jim12 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2004 CRV and, as everyone seems to agree, the armrests are lousy. Has anyone tried the replacement armrest for sale by handaaccessories.com? It looks easy to install but I'm wondering if it is worth the money. Thanks.
  • Options
    bostonbuddybostonbuddy Member Posts: 11
    How long do I have to wait for the after market stuff for a 2005 EX? I got it plain at the dealership but I want some other stuff. Any ideas?
  • Options
    What are you looking for, a softer surface, a wider space to rest your arm, or something with a different angle?

Bostonbuddy - What sort of accessories are you looking for? Most of the items for the 2004 will fit the 2005.
  • Options
    I want to get the cargo cover but the 2005's interior is "ivory" and apparently doesn't match the "saddle" color of the 2004's. I'm also toying around with the runners. I'd like to get a tire cover that matches the color of the car but I don't think they have that. I have only driven it once so I'm sure when i'm driving around I'll think of more things I want.
  • Options
    I'm mainly looking for a wider arm rest that is at a better angle. The arm rest on my CRV is basically useless because it is at an angle that is too low to rest my elbow on. When trying to rest my arm on it, my arm rests on my leg instead. The arm rests on the CRV were designed for very small people who weren't taught to sit up straight and not slouch. Call me old fashioned, but I like to sit up erect in an automobile so I have a good view of the road and around all sides of the vehicle, unlike some people I have noticed who appear to be in a LazyBoy recliner while blasting any car that pulls up within 10 feet with bass deep and loud enough to shatter windows. Sorry for the rant, but I'm of average hight (6'0") and don't have a similar problem with any other SUV's that I have driven. I frequently rent cars for business trips and have not encountered such a wimpy arm rest. I would like to know if anyone has tried the arm rests that are for sale online and if they make much difference. Also, are they too large and do they interfere with the tray table (great feature)? Other than this fairly minor annoyance, I love my CRV! Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    the storage armrest is well worth the money. Drove a long trip a couple weekends back with one, was great. Was somewhat in the way to reach both cup holders in the center tray, but not a big issue.
  • Options
    Yeah, you'll probably have to wait a while for the cargo cover to be released in a matched color for the ivory interior.

The spare tire will be offered in the same color as the SE models. However, it probably won't be sold in all the colors that are available for the EX and LX.

I suggest purchasing the grey (cladding colored) spare cover. It's generally half the price of the color-matched ones. They you can have it painted to match the color of your vehicle. The paint color codes can be found on the driver's side doorjamb.

I did the painting myself for my 1999 CR-V. You have to get real close before you can tell that the clear coat I used doesn't quite match the shine of the factory paint. I saved myself about 100 bucks. Or you can pay to have it done by a body shop. It's an easy job.
  • Options
    Well the accessory armrest is certainly wider. I think it's a tiny bit longer, too. If I recall correctly, the armrest can be ratcheted to several different angles. So it may be exactly what you are looking for. (It flips all the way up and out of the way, too.)

However, a new one will be mounted in the same position on the side of the driver's seat. If the *height* is wrong for you, a new armrest isn't going to fix it.
  • Options
    Thanks! I just ordered the cargo net and lug locks from H&A yesterday. I took it out today to get inspected, wow, big difference from my Beetle.
  • Options
    Thanks. I ordered the armrest. I am also looking into a bike carrier. I am thinking of one that bolts to the spare tire mounting plate. I have looked at Swagman and Thule. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with either one. Thanks.
  • Options
    wenwen Member Posts: 42
    I’m sure almost everyone with an ’04 and older CR-V agree the 15” x 6” (JJ) RIMS, whether alloy or steel, as well as stock 205/70-15 tires (26.6” diameter – 8.2” section width – 783 revs per mile) are a bit “undersized”, which definitely was verified by the 2005’s having 16” RIMS and 215/65 tires. I DON’T want to “debate” this, but want professional / expert opinions. I own an ’04 EX, but to get thru New England Winters, I purchased (on eBay) ’04 STEEL RIM “take-offs”, like new w/less than 10 miles on them, and from Tirerack.com I purchased four Blizzak WS-50’s.
    In the Spring when I take off the Blizzaks/Steel rims I DO NOT plan to put back the Alloys with those stinkin’ Duelers. I actually have FIVE brand new, yes never used, 16” X 6.5” (JJ) five-spoke ALLOY rims (also new “take-offs”) from an ’02 Acura TL. When I measured the “interior offset”, that is from the mounting surface back to “inside” lip of wheel, I got 5 7/8” on the 16” Acura Alloys and 5 5/16” on the Honda Steel rims. Important question: Will this 9/16” “inner” offset make a big difference and/or “interfere” with any suspension or body parts, especially if I use 225/60-16 (26.6” diameter – 8.9” section width – 783 revs per mile). By keeping the diameter the same I will not change gear ratio or decrease quick acceleration, and from the side view it will still “look undersized” but I’m sure the improvement in handling with a good set of 225/60’s will make my CR-V a bit better and safer to drive. By the way, the 5-spoke Acura alloys really change the looks of the “stock alloy” ’04 CR-V. Just gotta remember to pop out and change the plastic Acura center caps….. or should I leave ‘em ??
    But seriously, what do you think of me using the 16” Acura Alloys ??
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,773
    I considered doing this .. but chickened out every time..

1) Probably, the only way you are going to know for sure is to put them on and try it... In your favor: Tire size is just marginally taller, and almost all the extra width is to the inside, so you won't have to worry about fender rubbing on the outside of the tire. Against you: all that width on the inside.. who knows if it will clear?

2) If you can get hold of a Honda Pilot wheel, and take the same measurement, and it is the same, then you will probably be safe.. They sell them with 235/60-16s for CR-Vs and report no problems..

3) I'd keep the Acura caps on... If you are going to be different, might as well go all the way.

Good luck!!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ssmith2ssmith2 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone owning an 05' SE or EX, this question is for you. The SE and Ex come "XM ready," does this mean that all you have to do is pay the $9.99 per month to subscribe, or do I have to pay for other hardware first?
  • Options
    luvmyb20luvmyb20 Member Posts: 2
    I personally use Thule racks on my 1G Honda CR-V to carry bikes, snowboards, and my surfboard. Yakima is another decent choice. Other companies like Barrecrafter,Xport,and Saris (to name a few)also sell roof racks. Thule and Yakima sell attachments specially designed for kayaks. Thule has a rectangular bar and are the most common found. Yakima has a round bar and is still fairly popular. Each system cost about the same, so it's a matter of taste. However, most people I've seen with kayaks are using the Thule system. My take is to look at both systems and decide for yourself. You can visit Thule.com or Yakima.com and build the rack to your personal taste without having to buy it. Your other options are to go to REI, Sports Chalet, most bike shop,or (if you're so lucky to have this in your area) Sports Rack Outfitters. This last one is great because they have everything on display. Racks are all that they sell. Anyway, I hope I was able to help you, and good luck.
  • Options
    luvmyb20luvmyb20 Member Posts: 2
    Yes. Thule makes several car top carriers for their racks . I think that there a about half a dozen different ones made by Thule alone. Not only that, many other brands will fit the Thule rack system as well. I use Thule on my 1G CR-V. My neighbor has a Thule carrier that I borrow when my family and I take long trips. You can't go wrong.
  • Options
    jessegjesseg Member Posts: 9
    I'm planning to have my Honda dealer install the Honda towing package on my new 2005 CR-V. In addition to occasional light towing I'd like to add a hitch back rack.

Does anyone have experience with the Honda hitch. Is it a "standard" 1 1/2" receiver? If so, which 2-bike rack works well -- i.e. mates properly to the hitch, clears the spare tire, and can be moved out of the way so that the rear door can be opened.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Hi, I have a 2005 EX. While it is XM ready you still have to buy the receiver and the membership. Hope this helps.

Buddy
  • Options
    mrhondamrhonda Member Posts: 10
    I got on this forum to investigate the possibility of changing the size of the stock tires on my '02v. I have some information for wen. I bought a set of Blizzaks from an owner of a 1992 Acura. The alloy rims I bought were 15" x 61/2" They did not fit on my v perfectly. The inner rim portion rubbed on the strut tower. I had to buy a couple of off-set wheel spacers from a local "tuner" shop. This pushed out the wheels approximately 1/4" which was just enough to make it work. So unless the '04 has changed this dimension, your plan may work for you.
    I want to heighten the overall diameter of the original 205's and stay with the original 15" stock alloy wheels. My question to anybody reading this is has anybody done this? What was the size that you settled on? It's funny, tire dealers don't want to talk to me because I'm not sticking with original size. I'm thinking 215 or 225. All comments welcomed.
  • Options
    tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    I've researched this a bit and in the Spring will get some 215/70-15's. The tire brands differ a bit but in general this will give me about 1/2" extra rubber height and about a 1/2" extra tread width or contact patch. This slight increase will still make it possible to use the standard size spare for short terms. The full tread spare diameter will be close enough to the "used" new 215's so as not to look like wheel slippage and invoke 4WD. Speedo reading will only be 1-2 mph off which is negligible.
  • Options
    mrhondamrhonda Member Posts: 10
    "this will give me about 1/2" extra rubber height and about a 1/2" extra tread width or contact patch."

tomk17:
    Did your research show that the 225/70R15 size would not fit in the wells? I was hoping to gain at least an inch in height and a little in width.
  • Options
    NO, I did not look into the 225 size. Those will add 1.1 inches in total height which, based on the all of the room in those wheel wells I still don't think would be a problem. After all, the 05 model with 16" wheels (not sure what size tires) fit. See the site below for a nice calculator tool.
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTir- eMath.jsp
  • Options
    Please chime in if you have purchased the CRV leather steering wheel cover. I'm thinking about ordering one and would like some feedback from anyone who has it. I think I recall someone recommending it a while back. Is the installation as hassle?
  • Options
    "After all, the 05 model with 16" wheels (not sure what size tires) fit."

The tire size of the 2005 models is only 0.3" larger than the current tire.

Which leather wheel cover are you looking at?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I have the Honda leather steering wheel cover on my '99 CR-V. It's a little bit of a hassle putting it, but still worth it. Wear gloves to protect your hands while pulling the lacing tight.

:)
  • Options
    Ditto the above on the gloves and install. I ask which one because H and A accessories (above) offers a very similar one with extra lace holes. Mine is the OEM one without those holes and I had to do some creative lacing to keep it gathered tight at the spokes. The aftermarket one is also cheaper.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I had mine installed as part of the purchase price. Very satisfied; it makes the wheel thicker and easier to grip.