Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    LOL! I'm no mechanic...I was just listing a possibility! If you take it in to a mechanic, let us know what it turns out to be!
  • andyokstateandyokstate Member Posts: 8
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    The a/c unit will work nice and cold when driving,but when i stop in traffic for a while the air coming out of the vents do not feel as cold. I know this has to do with heat exchange and the fan I check the fan and it works but might not be powerful enough to complete the heat exchange process. Any body else have notice this.
    greetings from sunny Miami
    As I understand it, the air conditioner compressor works off of the engine. When you stop and idle the engine, the air conditioner compressor also slows down, putting out less cold air.

For a good A/C article goto:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa060301b.htm?terms=car+air+condition
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Andyoskate - You probably have about 40-50K on your '98, right? It's the rear differntial fluid. Have the fluid replaced.

RT4WD uses a lubricant they call, "Dual Pump Fluid". This must be changed at regular intervals. The manual says it should be changed at 60K, but most owners find that it needs to be replaced at 40-50K.

RT4WD engages when there is a difference in speeds between the front and rear axles. When you take a sharp turn, the front and rear tires take a different path. One path is shorter than the other. So the system reacts to the difference in speeds and begins to engage. When you have bad fluid, it makes that noise.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I would also definitely consider the rear-differential as a possible culprit. As it just so happens, I have a webpage up that describes my experience:

http://users.ev1.net/~aurelio/crv/rear-diff-fluid

It's been several months since I did this, and the noise has not returned. Hope this helps!
    As slugline mentioned on his website, my manual showed that the fluid needs to be replaced every 90k. Guess they need to rework that one, eh? Anyway, thanks again...especially for your detailed webpage that shows how to do it.
    What happened to the site mentioned on your webpage: http://www.ptcruiserusa.com/hondasuv/crvix/underhood/underhood_reardiff.htm

Didn't that used to be hondasuv.com? Anyway, link didn't work...I found those pages sometime ago, but haven't been able to find them since.

HondaSUV.com us currently under construction. That page will be back up when the administrator finishes with redesigning the site.
  • a1speciala1special Member Posts: 13
    My 2002 Honda CRV just turned 1,000 miles, and I am really enjoying it. I found a new 5W20 synthetic motor oil made by Amsoil. Has anyone tried it? I found it at www.amsoil.com Also, I ordered several items from www.hondapartsforyou.com and have received great service, so far. a1special
    I replaced the rear differential fluid yesterday afternoon. That immediately solved the problem. It's odd though...the fluid looked really clean, almost like the new stuff I put in. Whatever...as long as it works! Thanks again!
  • kurtqkurtq Member Posts: 4
    I am getting a vibration noise when I'm driving and apply moderate pressure to the gas peddle Seems to be coming from the front. Ha sanyone had this problem? Also when i make a sharp turn such as a U-turn I get a sqeaking noise. Any ideas?
    Kurtq - See above posts for information on squeeking noise during tight turns. It's probably your rear diff fluid.

Does the vibration only happen at a certain RPM?
    It occurs at different rpms and only when I'm driving. Sometimes when I close the driver door it makes a noise which appears to be coming from the passenger front side around the headlight area. If I apply pressure to the area around the headlight and have my wife slam the door the noise is almost absent. There must be something loose in behind there. I was thinking of maybe taking the bumper off and checking. Regarding the Ignition switch problem I checked Transport Canada's Website and there is no mention yet of a recall on CRV's. I emailed them and if I get a respone I will post.
  • jcheekjcheek Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchasing a new CR-V but I'm concerned that it cannot do much of any offroading. Can it handle moderate sand (>6" loose sand in desert roads)? How about rocky roads not requiring low-range in heavier 4WDs? How does the CR-V compare to the Subaru Outback in offroading? What are some experiences of CR-V owners driving off paved roads? Thanks!
    How much experience do you have offroading? I can tell you that my '00 CR-V has been surprisingly capable little beast. While primarily designed for paved roads, the CR-V is blessed with decent approach and departure angles and ground clearance on par with anything else short of dedicated 4x4's like Jeeps. However, I don't think the underside is well-armored, which could be a problem over rocks.

If you have ever driven on the moderate sand you describe, you know that everything depends on "floating" on top of it all, and avoiding getting dug-in. If you will be encountering a lot of sand, be forewarned that the stock tire size is smaller and narrower than desireable, but airing down will help some.

As for experiences specifically in the '02, seek out a Town Hall resident by the name of gatorgreg. One of his first moves was to swap in a set of larger Michelin LTX tires.
    Loose sand can be a problem. The tires are under-sized for that particular application. As Slugline states, airing down will help. You might consider an extra set of steel rims and some larger tires for those times when you head off-road. Try it out before you buy anything.

Getting over rocks isn't that difficult. I've done it a number of times and it can be lots of fun. Just go slow and keep checking obstacles before climbing over them.

I installed a skidplate on my '99 model. It helps let me know when I'm tackling something too big. Although the plate gets dinged up pretty quick, it's better than losing something more expensive to replace.
  • jcheekjcheek Member Posts: 2
    I've done a fair amount of offroading in a Toyota Landcruiser and old 4WD truck. The CR-V looks like it should be able to handle most places that don't need low-range and higher clearance. I'm a bit concerned about the tire size, but I can fix that easy enough. The new 2002, however, does not appear to have a limited-slip rear differential and I don't know how that might change its offroading. Is the '02 CR-V 4WD mechanism basically a viscous-coupling center differential?
    Where are good sources for aftermarket offroad upgrades like skid plates, etc?
    No, there isn't an LSD at the back. There's no center differential as one would expect either. The system operates using a set of wet clutch packs in the rear diff. They come together and link the rear drive to the front via a hydraulic pressure system. It's all mechanical and very reliable. Keep in mind that it is a reactive system, though. The front wheels will slip a bit before the rears kick in.

Honda doesn't offer a skidplate for the '02, yet. Both Jaos and Honda had them as an option for the 96-01 models. I would assume that they will introduce them again.
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    saw a skid plate advertised by hondaphil.com a phillipine honda dealer site. (aluminum)
    rockycow
    Good morning all,

I'm just curious if you all follow Honda's suggested service intervals for everything or do things a bit differently? As posted above, I had to change the rear differential fluid after 45k miles, rather than at the 90k mark as suggested. I usually change my oil every 5k, rather than 7.5k as shown in the manual. Are there other things that should be done more/less frequently than suggested by Honda?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I follow the recommended intervals for the most part, but change my oil & filter every 4K miles, sure gets hot down here in Florida. I change the auto. tranny fluid once a year. I check the other stuff that's mentioned about twice a year due to available free time. My CRV is approaching 60K miles so I'll be looking at those items shortly.
  • nohornnohorn Member Posts: 5
    If you haven't yet tested your 2002 CR-V on a washboarded dirt road, you might want to try it and listen for the thunking sound on the right front. Sounds like suspension noise but it's due to a clearance problem between the top right engine mount baseplate and the mounting surface. Repetitive bumps at the right speed causes the engine mount to "crash-stop", resulting in a metal-to-metal thunk. My car did it from day-1 and after a determined and persistent effort, for which my dealer should receive some kind of Nobel Prize, the service techs discovered the problem and solved it temporarily by using washers to increase the "crash-stop" clearance. It was implied that there would likely be a future recall to replace this engine mount with an improved version. Five ***** for Honda service!!!
    Honda Canada is recalling 186,000 Honda and Acura vehicles to replace a faulty ignition switch. The recall involves Honda Accord, Civic, Prelude, CR-V and Odessey vehicles from 1997-2000 model years, 1999 Acura TL sedans and 1997-99 CL coupes. In the United States, some 1.3 million vehicles are being recalled. Owners will be notified by mail.
  • chingpachingpa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda CRV Chianti Red. It seems to chip much more than average. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • bajie3bajie3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,all,
    Today my 2002 CRV-LX died on the road :( It was going down at about 25mph on a 15 degree slope.

The ECL first turned on. I noticed that and thought it might not be a big deal. So I continued
    about 100 feet long and came to a traffic intersection and stopped. At that time i heard
    the engine was running very rough. I was scared and turn off the engine. Then i tried to start the engine again. But it still run very rough and
    i turned the engine off again. After serveral such
    tries, the problem became worse, the engine will
    just stop running couple of seconds after i started it. At last it won't even start.

I had to ask for a towing service to the nearest Honda dealership, feeling very bad. There is only
    2000 miles on the car. And i am a very gentle driver and most the miles are on highway. I didn't expect i will meet such problem with a Honda product.

Did anyone here experience similar problem? By the way, will the towing cost be covered by the
    3-year warranty?

Thanks in advance. I will keep you updated.

Wei
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Everything including the towing should be covered. That is unless whatever is wrong is not warranted, but I see no reason why it wouldn't, maybe bad gas, water, or something else in your gas tank. Good luck.
    My parent's '02 CR-V LX (CDN) is less than a month old. They've been complaining about a strange buzzing sound coming from the rear of the car. I was sitting in it today and I heard it myself. To me it sounds like it's coming from some part of the suspension in the rear. My dad says it only makes the sound while driving in town and never while at highway speed.

It's really noticeable over bumps and when turning, but can occur when driving over smooth pavement and/or going straight.

Any ideas?
  • oldstuffoldstuff Member Posts: 14
    I bought a 2001 Civic and it was the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. I missed the filing date for the lemmon law so I was stuck with it. No other dealer wanted to touch it after a quick car fax report so I was forced to take it back the the Honda dealer where I bought it and they actually gave me a fair trade on it and we now are the proud new owners of a CRV EX. So far so good, we love it, quiet, no rattles, good power. The civic was into the shop 11 times. power windows failed twice, doorlock came off in my hand, drivers door wouldnt close all the way, felt "ajar" with lots of wind noise, they NEVER were able to fix the gas guage, after a fill up, I'd drive about 150 miles and it read bone dry empty with the fuel light on, then I would go to the pump and put 5 gallons in and it would be full. they replaced the fuel sensor twice and replaced the guage cluster (which changed the original mileage) thus no other dealer wanted it for a trade in. I didnt want to buy another Honda after that ordeal but I must admit, the CRV is a truely nice rig,,,(so far,,knock on wood).
  • johnh368johnh368 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Everybody:

I am a new comer. I bought a 02 CR-V LXS 4WD last
    week. I noticed that the SRS light(airbag) is always ON in my CR-V whenever I start the car.
    Does anyone has this problem before with the new 02 CR-V? I remembered I saw some post before but can not find now.

Any hint? Thanks in advance.

BR/JH
    Hi, Everybody:

I am a new comer. I bought a 02 CR-V LXS 4WD last
    week. I noticed that the SRS light(airbag) is always ON in my CR-V whenever I start the car.
    Does anyone has this problem before with the new 02 CR-V? I remembered I saw some post before but can not find now.

Any hint? Thanks in advance.

BR/JH
    Do you leave anything on the passenger's seat?
    No. I did not leave anything there. It's not side airbag light. If passage lean on the side of the seat, the amber "side airbag off" light is ON. This is not the case. This is the red light showing SRS problem. I've talked to dealer
    and will post the update here. I am wondering any person have the same situation before I go to the dealer.
  • rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    Does the light come on when you start the car and then turn off after a second or two? If so, that's normal. Otherwise you have a problem.
  • dkovaldkoval Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 CRV EX and have had a knocking sound come from the right rear tailgate area when going over a bumpy road. At first I thought it might be due to the spare tire not being on securely but it was. I was able to duplicate this sound at the dealer by pulling a little bit on the spare tire. They lubed the tailgate door hinges and that seemed to work only for a few weeks. Any clues or perhaps has there been any service bulletins about this? Thanks.
  • bronxgirlbronxgirl Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2002 CRV-EX. I can hear any noise there is in a car. I have a vibration coming from what I think is the center console (around the radio) I think. I have not been able to find it exactly.
    I also have a vibration coming from the shed to the moon roof. They heard the noise from the moon roof but said since Honda has not come out with a repair kit there was nothing they could do. Has anyone had either of these problems?
    Service told me that it is normal to have noise on any non-smooth road. That I don't believe. Please help! It's driving me crazy! Most roads in NY are not smooth!
  • a1speciala1special Member Posts: 13
    My 2002 CRV had the same problem. The CRV's computer detected a fault with the system. My Honda dealer ran the check and found a faulty SRS module. The module took four weeks to arrive, was changed and the computer reset in short order. No charge, of course. No problem since.
    A1Special
  • dtruong88dtruong88 Member Posts: 12
    I have just gotten a new 2002 Honda CR-V EX over the weekend.

Just on the next day when I drove it on a bumpy freeway while only traveling at 60 mph, I heard a rattle in the headliner, somewhere near the moonroof. At the time, the moonroof shade is all the way closed.

When I open the moonroof shade, whether just slightly or all the way, the rattling stops. Does anyone have this type of problem on their car? This is a brand new car and the rattle is loud enough to notice it even with the radio on. Plus, this car WAS built in Japan.

And bronxgirl, I believe we are not alone with this problem.

Anyone help please! Its driving me nuts!
    Acura had a problem with the moonroof rattling in the TL and RL. This could be something similar. The fix was a little mysterious. They put in a plastic strip to help lubricate the sliding parts (or something like that).
    I've got a '99 CRV with 62K miles. The emergency brake light stays on for a short after taking off, ussually just in the mornings. Any ideas?
    My best guess would be that your brake fluid may be at a marginal level . . . or since it's when the engine is cold, maybe it's brake booster related? Either way, I'd have the car checked out soon.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already checked the brake fluid and it's fine.
    Has anyone noticed that the rear seats of the 2002 CR-V have a really large gap, about an inch wide? This bothers me that with the gap so large, the upper portion of the seatback vibrates and creates a rattling noise when I drive.

This just drives me crazy with all the noises that goes on in my car...
    The intermittent rattle of the moonroof
    Rattle of the seatback
    Road Noise, OEM Tires :(

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I have a long drive to work and back and the noises are constantly present in the hour long drives. (So. Cal);)

Other than these, love the car!
    Good. Now, how is the brake booster?
    I double checked my brake fluid, it's still fine, but I also played with the float that slides up and down on the dip stick and also checked the connections, which looked fine. Brake light now goes out as expected, probably was caused by the float sticking. Thanks for all your help!!!
    I had checked the rear seat of my 2002 CR-V and it turns out that the handle for folding down the seat is loose. Not the attachment to the seat but the handle's spring is sort of loose. I checked the other one on another side and it is much tighter.

I know that I'm nit-picking about this but would the warranty cover this? Thanks
  • carlsommercarlsommer Member Posts: 1
    As per the earlier posts about oil changes,
    I was shocked out how tight the drain plug
    was installed. And I suspect they built the
    entire vehicle around the oil filter.

Has anyone found a good oil filter wrench
    that works? I've got a strap wrench, but
    can't get enough room to turn it.

Very disappointed about this aspect of the CRV.
  • muannmuann Member Posts: 7
    I had an issue with the steering of my 02 CRV. It was off the center to the right. My dealer has fixed it by performing a 4-wheel alignment. It runs like a charm now. Love my CRV more and more everyday.
  • bobportsbobports Member Posts: 3
    Sat. I signed the papers for a 2002 CRV EX just before we went to drive her out of the showroom we were told the gas gauge isn't working. When they worked on her Mon. they found the problem was bigger... the gas gauge assembly had to be replaced. Anyone had this problem??? Can't seem to get her out of the showroom. Thanks
  • darrenb4darrenb4 Member Posts: 1
    SRS on my new CR-V, EX model, stayed on all the time. The dealer found a defective pre-tensioner in the driver's front seat belt.