Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bascottbascott Member Posts: 27
    I have a question I don't think I have seen posted yet. The last two days when I filled my gas tank (just until the pump clicks off) I remove the nozzle and the gas comes back out as if there is some back pressure. Any ideas??
  • pvoorheispvoorheis Member Posts: 2
    Have any of you had any luck finding tires which offer a quieter and less bumpy ride? With the divits left by the snow plows, it sounds really loud when you hit one.

all suggestions welcomed.
  • mroach1mroach1 Member Posts: 3
    If you have had burnt CRV valves, please drop
    me an Email. We are not a drop in the bucket if
    approach Honda as a group.

Honda issued a recall for faulty CRV ignition
    switches even though only .3% of the cars exhibited
    the symptoms covered by the recall. That's only 3
    cars per 1,000.

There are a lot of customers who are being
    penalized for adhering to the valve
    adjust schedule printed in the Owner's Manual.

Honda banks on the assumption that your valves
    will crap out once they are beyond the 36k/36M
    warranty. Moreover, they assume that we will
    just go away.

Send Email to

[email protected]

(remove "NOSPAM" from address)
  • mwg100mwg100 Member Posts: 6
    Have a 2003 CRV EX with Bridgestone Dueller H/T tires. Around 40 MPH and above hear more of a rumble noise from what seems to be the back of the CRV, quite possibly the right rear but not sure. No vibration is felt in the steering wheel. Seems to be louder on certain types of pavement. Not a metallic noise, like from a loose heatshield. Don't believe it could be bearings since it is not a thunking noise. Could it be the particular type of tires making the noise? Total miles driven so far is 700. Open for advice...

FYI:

Yes, my CRV makes a whinning noise when in reverse.

Roof racks - Thule and Yakima now have fixes for the 2003 CRV both hold 150 lbs, where as Honda's only hold 75 lbs. However, Honda's should make less noise since they are thinner.
  • snomojoesnomojoe Member Posts: 14
    Everything I have read in previous posts about burned valves and preventive valve adjustment has been on 2000 model year and later CRVs. Honda tweaked or redesigned the CRV engine in (I think) 2000 to boost the HP. Is this potential valve problem limited to 2000 and later engines. I have a 97 CRV with 50000 miles and would like an opinion as to whether I have a potential problem and should be considering a valve adjustment. Also, considering cost involved would it be prudent to go ahead and have the timing belt replaced at the same time.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Have you checked your tire pressure? Honda ships them out at 40psi. It really roars when it warms up. Lower that to 30 will help. If not, have the dealer check rear axle.
  • john59galljohn59gall Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any success with their honda dealer regarding the transmission shifting when you come to a rolling stop and you re-accelerate, it seems like the transmission has a delay and then jerks into gear. Please call Honda (manufacterer) at 1-800-999-1009 and report the problem. The more CRV owners report this annoying problem the more apt Honda is likely to put a fix to it. Other messages with the same problem have been #52, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 and 255.
  • neoscrvneoscrv Member Posts: 5
    Just drove home a brand new 2003 CRV Ex with roof rack and side step dealer installed and noticed a definite wind whistle above 25 mph. Anyone else experience this problem? Could it be dealer installed roof rack?
  • robsmomrobsmom Member Posts: 2
    I've don't want to damage the passenger seat but I'd like to get some idea how to remove the flip up console. I 'd like to replace the console with an after market version with a refrigerator.

Thanks anyone??
  • mwg100mwg100 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for telling me to check my tires. The CRV was garaged, temp around 40 degrees F., hadn't been run in 24 hrs. Hence, cold tires.

Checked with two tire gauges cause all 4 tires were over 44 PSI with one at 47 PSI!!! Honda recommends 26 PSI. I lowered mine to around 28 PSI and the rear end noise is GONE!!

Called the dealer to let them know of this potential safety hazard. After researching various sites, the CRV is shipped with tires set at 40 PSI (like you stated) and the dealer is supposed to drop them to 26 PSI.

Not sure what would have happened to the CRV with the tire pressure so high!! You may have saved our lives as well.

Perhaps all New CRV owners should check their tire pressure.

THANKS SCNAME for your reply!
  • dtruong8dtruong8 Member Posts: 27
    mwg100,
    I had the same exact problems with the tire pressure when the car just came out of the dealership. I was wondering why the cr-v was having an extremely harsh ride. A couple days later, I checked the tire pressure at it was at 45 (!!!) psi. I was amazed that the dealership didn't even check it as I drove off.
    Yet again, people should check their tire pressure. (Improved the ride to a comfortable level btw)
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    last night, while driving home through the early parts of a Vermont snowstorm, I heard a *snick* sound and looked to the left to see a 2" crack in the windshield. I cannot feel the crack from either the inside or the outside. It seems to be a stress fracture. Any chance that this is a Honda defect and that I can get the windshield replaced? It is an '03 CRV EX.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    If for sure and you should look carefully you cannot find any dings or penetration on either side of the glass you probably should contact the dealer. In my research for a new windshield because my '02 was hit by a rock I found out the windshield plays a part in the unibody so you could be right! It may be a delamination crack caused by stress. {I seemed skeptical at first about the unibody but the body shops I spoke to are very reliable.}
  • nor_cal_dalenor_cal_dale Member Posts: 4
    Hello

I have been a Honda owner for years. This is my 8th new one now. I am a qualified mechanic to do almost any repair that comes up, and have been around cars mechanically all my life.

Most cars with disk brakes make one clunk as you go from reverse to forward. This is the caliper settling in. Calipers are free floating and have to re-center themselves. My CRV does it almost every time I put the brakes on. It seems to be coming from the front only. The dealers service manager told me that they are fitting the calipers looser on the pins due to some early problems they had. What a crock as far as I am concerned. Has anyone else had this problem and dealt with someone who sincerely looked into the problem and not swept it under the rug?
                         Frustrated in California
                                  Dale
  • boslawboslaw Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a CR-V this week, and when I was driving it home from the dealer I noticed a wind-like air noise coming from the rear of the car. It's quite loud at times and it sounds like there's a heater fan on high in the back of the car. I had the dealer add side cladding, side steps, and a roof rack to the car, but I can't imagine these parts are creating the noise. Also, the tires are very noisy so I will check the tire pressure and possibly get some new tires, but I can't believe that this wind noise comes from the tires.

Does this sound normal for a crv? I noticed some other posts about noise, but no one seemed to describe what I'm hearing. Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be?
  • rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    I have taken my 2002 CR-V to the dealer and to a fast lube place for oil changes. The next morning after the oil change there are several large drops of oil on the garage floor. My husband says this is because the service techs don't take the time to carefully drain the oil. He crawls underneath and wipes everything down, and no more oil spots. I expected better especially from a dealer. Has anyone else had this complaint about oil changes?
  • colorado_kidcolorado_kid Member Posts: 32
    I have the same exact complaint. We have an 02 CR-V and have had 3 oil changes on it thus far. All 3 resulted in spots on the garage floor the day after the change. I too crawled under the car and wiped up the excess oil. I think that it is because of the awkward oil filter location and the spillage that must occur when they change it out. Very frustrating... I know.
    As the colorado kid writes, the oil filter is in
    an awkward location and its difficult to remove the filter without spilling oil. I do my own changes and rigged a makeshift apparatus to avoids spills. My recommendation when you get your oil changes is to tell the service writer beforehand to cover the brace and cv joint with rags. That should help. If they are aware that you know the problem I assure you they will be more careful to keep your business. Also there are replaceable oil plugs with spigots and add- ons that will make oil changes easier. I cannot remember the names, if your interested ask on this board or www.hondacrv.org
  • nor_cal_dalenor_cal_dale Member Posts: 4
    Hello All

Has anyone else had any brake noise and what were the fixes? No one at Honda can tell me what to do so far. It is almost everytime I stop now and I have only got 1000 miles on it. I am sincerely frustrated by this noise. Anyone seen any tech bulletins on this one either? Help!

Thanks Dale
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I hear the brakes but, it's not really a problem. Personally, I don't think there's anythihg to fix. They work right? They don't bang they make a little click when going from reverse to drive...right? Sorry, I couldn't care less about that.
  • bandit2002bandit2002 Member Posts: 4
    I took my 02 CRV in at 8k for the clicking noise when braking. According to the dealership service dept., it is the nature of the braking system. He did say there have been many complaints about this, but no repairs at this time.
  • dsaldodsaldo Member Posts: 1
    On a recent 800 mile trip, my CR-V with approx. 1900 plus miles on it had a mishap. Exiting the interstate to fuel, the car jerked twice when I was coming to a stop. I then pulled up to the pump to refuel. When I went to go, the car would not shift out of a low gear, and a dashboard indicator light came on. While driving around for some time looking for a dealership, I stopped and shut the car off. When I went to go again, the car would not shift into any gear for about thirty seconds. Finally, trying all gears again, it moved when I shifted into drive. It has been running without incident for another 1500 miles. The dealership in Raleigh, NC says it was the transmission "celenoid pack" based on some code that appeared. My hometown dealership in Cheshire, MA says it was a quirk and nothing appears to be wrong. They are double checking with the Honda Tech because I am making another long distance trip soon and can not afford another two hour delay or worse while on the road.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    have them inspect the shift cable at the trans side where it connects. They have been siezing/corroding and do not pivot as they should causing shift engagement problems and check engine lights for incorrect gear range..
  • laptevlaptev Member Posts: 18
    Are you sure you had your brake depressed when you went to shift to drive? Sometimes you will forget and it won't let you shift. (I think)
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    This morning in Westchester NY, my husband turned the heat and heard the crack sound.
    It's left to right about 2 inches crack on the windshield.
    Is there known problem with the CRV windshield?

gary william, did you call Honda?
    Did they replace it for you?
    ... the 'shield shows a star cluster near the A post, and the dealer interpreted this to be a rock hit. I assume it could have spaulled from internal shear stresses but I don't have any documentation to show that it is possible, without performing the tests myself. In short, Honda said 'no' to replacing it, but they WERE very helpful in finding the cheapest replacement in town, $250 installed. I still haven't gone there yet, and the crack is now well over 18" long. Soon, very soon.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Shouldn't that be covered by your insurance? Here in Florida I have full glass coverage, they'll even come to my place of work to do the job, with no deductible.
    Wondering if any new CRV owners experience annoying transmission shifting when coasting to a near stop and then accelerating just before stopping. Seems that the 1st gear is "off-time" and not shifting at the right engine speed. I think it downshifts too soon and then pauses to shift to 2nd gear too long giving a certain amount of jerkiness. I hope this can be fixed by the dealer adjusting the vacuum advance. Any pros out there here of this? See postings 250-255
  • biblerbibler Member Posts: 2
    I believe the same problem described in post#332 is happening on my 03' CRV. I just bought it Apr 15, 2003. When accelerate, I feel a "gap" when it change gear. The feeling is strange though and hard to describe. Have contacted with dealer and no solution till now.

Anyone have successful experience to let dealer fix this problem? Thanks.
  • biblerbibler Member Posts: 2
    I don't know how to distinguish English made or Japan made. VIN does start with JHLR......
    The (2) 1st characters of all VIN numbers on all cars identify the country of manufacturer. JA-JO represents Japan....SA-SM represents United Kingdom...Then United States has 1A-10. Go here to see the whole world= http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/WMI.html#ccode
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I know that many of you change your own oil on the cr-v, I went to the dealer to purchase the oil filter for my 02 civic and 02 cr-v and the dude in the part department gave me this oil filter that it is smaller than the one that I am replacing he also stated that is the same one for both cars. Any input on the matter? if possible could you response with part # you had used before (oil filter).
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    yeah, I could use it, but I just switched to a new carrier and I don't want them to jump the rates. I can get it done (replaced) for 250 bucks. Insurance has a 50 dollar deductable, but the rate increase... I will wait to use insurance until I have something catastrophic like a break in or a smasked rear window.
    I am not familiar with the civic but the part # for the '02 CRV Honda oil filter is: 15400 PLM A02. These are now made by Fram the previous ones were made by Filtech. I personally am going to switch to WIX or Purolator One because the Fram filters are made cheaply. If you change your oil around 5000 or less it probably won't matter. Check out WWW.bobistheoilguy.com for advice on oil filters.
    Instead of "greetings from sunny miami" send me some of those great oranges.
  • nycajunnycajun Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know the rpm range for a 2003 CRV 5spd manual??? At 65mph the rpm is at 3000. At 75mph the rpm is at 3500, and of course this is in 5th gear. I believe a 2003 with auto transmission at 75mph runs at 2900rpm. It seems as though the 5spd manual transmissions run at about 500 - 600rpm higher than the automatics. Idle rpm is fine at 650 to 750. I also have a 98 Accord with a 5spd and at 75mph the rpm is about 2800. I know the gearing in the transmissions is probably different but I dont know why. Higher rpm translates into poor fuel efficiency. Also if on a long trip or over the course of many years wouldn't higher rpms be a cause for more or sooner wear of various engine components??? I love my CRV but I dont like seeing the rpm so high between 60 and 75 mph.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    We experince the same thing in our 2001 Civic EX 5 spd. Makes the highway mileage actually lower than around town, as we are very good at keeping rpms low around town. But on the hwy here (in AZ) we are at 80 mph or get run over. speed lmit is 75. we get 36-37 in town, and 32 highway. also car is louder/buzzier at higher rpm, so we won't be using the civic for many road trips. We figured the name "civic" means it is designed to be use in the city. LOL

Also, don't remember what RPM the vtech comes in, but that also causes more fuel usage
  • 401356401356 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2003 crv - exl for 5 months. I have a metallic sounding rattle which happens on rough roads - especially if the passenger side tires are hitting the rough spots. There are no apparent rattles in the doors or post. It sounded like it was in the post, but I just finished taking that all apart and drove on the same rough road- the sound is still there. The next step is the rear door panel. It sounds like it might be metal flexing. I tried silicone on all the door seals and checked for loose nuts and wiring. The Honda dealer noticed the noise, but couldn't find anything. I hate rattles with a passion and this one is driving me bonkers. Any similar occurrences and if so any suggestions?

Also, I replaced those hateful Bridgestone Duellers (70 series) with Michelins (75's). Not only do they look much better, but they ride much better and quieter.
  • tkehegemontkehegemon Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 CR-V EX in August, 2002. Since then, I have only put 7500 miles on the vehicle. About a week ago, I was driving down the freeway and the steering wheel got the "speed wobbles" like you would have on a motorcycle; the wheel started vibrating left and right like something was going to rattle apart. I immediately exited the freeway with my hazard lights on and by the time I turned around, the shaking was gone. I went straight to the tire shop and they checked the balance of the tires; there was nothing wrong. About 2 days later my wife had the same thing happen to her; the steering went crazy for 15 seconds or so. Obviously I am going to take it to the dealer but I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else out there. I have owned every American car and truck made; I have also owned Honda's and Toyota's and I have never had any of them do this before. My concern is that the Honda dealers in my city will have no idea what to look for. If this steering problem has happened to anyone out there; please send me a message and tell me what it was so that I can tell the service manager where to start looking.

Thanks.

E.O. 588
  • bajie2bajie2 Member Posts: 18
    My 2002 CRV has had the same problem for half an year already. I asked the similar question here in the past.

I experience this trembling problem on daily base.
    It only happens when the speed is arond 65mph on
    seeming likly certain pavements. The trembling is so obvious that you are almost afraid the steering wheel will fall off.

I am not going to risk my life any more and will call the dealer today. They once said it could be the tire pressure, but mine only has 28PSI.

tkehegemon, or anyone who has the similar steering problem, please keep us updated about your experience with the dealership.
    Is there any possibility that you were driving in a lane with ruts in it from trucks? Seriously, if you drive on roads where there is considerable truck traffic the shape of the road can be effected. I've noticed this while driving in the right two lanes on many Michigan freeways. If you hit the lanes just wrong, it will feel like your car is pulling all over the place.
    No, icvci, it's just regular road. Interestingly,
    most of the roads as far as i can tell are relatively new pavement. And the trembling problem also love to happen on the road has
    slight downward slope. It never happens on an upward slope.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Could be brake problem. Warped disks, grabbing calipers.
    This doesn't look like the brake problem because
    i never feel steering trembling when i step on the brake pedal.
    Just called the dealership and told it could be wheel alignment issue.
    Seems like it could be a camber problem.

Toe in wheels look like this / \

Toe out they look like this \ /

Maybe toe out would cause the problem? Not an expert in the field by any means but, it seems logical.
    icvci, or anyone who could answer,

What could be the damage done to the car since i have drived under this condition for almost half
    a year?

feeling bad now.
    I'd think it would just damage your tires. (premature wear)
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    related to tire balancing. Like others mention, I'm certainly no expert, but I've had similar issues with my Trooper ever since I put after market wheels on it. At 45 to 55 mph, I get the "shimmy" as some of you have referred to. I tried a machine which is found mostly at your local Lexus dealers, called the Hunter GSP9700. It balances your wheel with a 1000lb. load applied to it, simulating real driving conditions. It cost me about $10.00 a wheel, and well worth it. Check out the link, find a shop and give it a try.....hope this helps out.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/product.htm
  • jas28jas28 Member Posts: 50
    My radio on my 02 V EX started to change stations spontaneously this past winter (by changing the frequency in increments of 0.1). The dealer replaced the radio and this solved the problem, until yesterday. It's happened 3 times now in the past 24 hours. It's not an electrical connection - it happened while I was idling in a flat parking lot. Has anybody else seen this? Is the 02 V plagued with gremlins, or am I just unlucky and managed to get two bad radios?