Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thirdof4thirdof4 Member Posts: 28
    From what you say in your post about snow driving, our experiences have been similar. In comparison to my last vehicle, a Suzuki Sidekick, the V is not good in snow (for me). I have studded snow tires on and it's scary how the V can't seem to get a grip and it feels like the car is going to roll over as it moves side to side while going downhill. This is on a gravel hill, not pavement. I really have to psych myself up to get in it to head to town when there's snow on the ground! I just don't have the confidence that I had when driving the Sidekick but then again, I couldn't get five people in my Sidekick and the suspension was too stiff and a pain in the neck (literally)!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And with all due respect to you as well...

All cars ***will*** "drift" to the right eventually if you take your hands off the wheel. What may be bothering you as a "pull" may not bother someone else.

But, I don't know...like I said before, I've NEVER noticed this and I have driven a LOT of CRVS.

I also have never heard anyone say they all pull to the right.
  • crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    isellhondas,

When I first took delivery of my CRV it would drift a full lane to the right within a matter of a second or two. I drove the car a few hundred miles during Christmas vacation and would end up with a sore arm from holding the car on the road (no joke).

Your company was able to fix this (though I had to go to two dealerships ... my original dealership insisted that even this was "normal"). They fixed it by adjusting the camber on the tires.

However, the car still pulls substantially on acceleration. The harder the acceleration, the more pronounced the pull (as reported by others). Under moderately hard acceleration (pressing the accelerator 1/2 way to the floor ... the way you would if you want to get ahead of the guy next to you off a stop light) the car will end up in the next lane within 150-200 feet.

I agree with you ... what bothers me may not bother someone else. So I'll leave it to prospective CRV buyers to draw their own conclusions based on my (and other people's) descriptions.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    crimdoc, I hope you are able to take it to another dealer to your satisfaction. I have heard a variety of solutions that some owners have had taken care of at dealerships. I had PTTR on my '94 Accord, and took it back to the dealer after having it a few days. An alignment did fix that for me. In my pre-delivery checklist, I requested they check/drive my V as to be sure it drove straight. I do feel torque steer on my V, but not nearly as you have described.
    Well, the way you have described this tells me it's certainly not a "drift"! This is pretty severe! This would bother anyone!
  • juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    2004 CR-V EX I bought Aug. 2004 had PTTR. Then I complained to dealer. The car was sent for alignment and corrected. Still PTTR. Then they changed another car to me (The CR-V had 35mile one it and looks more dirty like sit outside for many months. I knoew late that inspection record was done in June 2004 when I brought the vehicle for service). This "older" car does not have PTTR problem. It is very annoying for PTTR. Try talk to dealer to see whether can find the one does not have the problem.
  • steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    Pull to the right???

Sorry...I don't buy that!

In response to isellhondas, you alredy posted on this Board that you have no idea how '05 Honda CRVs 2wd react when driving. You're bald assumption that they don't is unfounded. Steve
    raysr,

My problem with pttr began from Day 1. There was no test drive of an '05 model before purchase because the vehicle was ordered before any '05s had arrived at the dealership. After notifying the dealer that the '05 CRV pttr on the way home. We were informed to drive it for a while to see if the problem persisted. It has. You better make VERY sure there is no PTTR problem before you leave the lot as I am getting the same response from the dealer and manufacturer as you see in the posts by isellhondas. Birds of a feather... Steve
    guss2,
    In response to: Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I also have safety concerns!

The solution is filing a complaint re: the annoying/dangerous problem with NHSTA and beginning the Lemon Law process in your state. If you "google" "lemon law" and your state name, you should come up with the rules to lemon law arbitration. FYI, my experience and all those other persons that continue to suffer from PTTR have encountered Honda reps that state since all of the '05 CRVs are faulty, we have no intention of addressing the problem. Good Luck! Steve
  • ailail Member Posts: 10
    We are on the verge of buying a CRV- SE, but are waiting until we test drive a Subaru Outback VDC. This PTTR issue is very disconcerting. I test drove the CRV and didn't notice PTTR, but only drove on the highway for a couple of exits--other than that it was slow street driving. Is it only noticeable on highway driving?
    ail,

In response to 'Is it only noticeable on highway driving?'

No, in my case, the pttr occurs anytime that the gas pedal is depressed. The faster (or further down) the gas pedal is depressed, the more pronounced the pttr problem. From what I have read on this forum, the problem seems to be more prevelant on the 2wd LX models. I have also read other's posts that state they could not detect any pttr at all. So, it appears that there are '05 CRVs out there that vary from little or no pttr to extreme pttr (or as the poster 'isellhondas' calls it "drift") If you do buy a new CRV, make absolutely sure that there is no pttr problem, because all posters here have stated that Honda either denies there is a problem or that Honda states it is normal for the CRV to do this. For further verification of Honda's attitude toward the multiple posts on this site, go back and look at 'isellhondas' responses to all those suffering from pttr. If you happen to purchase a Honda with the pttr problem, you can expect that the Honda dealer and Honda manufacturer will respond the same way as 'isellhondas.' Good Luck! Steve
    Thanks, Steve. I did read the Honda dealer's posts, so I consider myself duly warned!! Will test drive it again, but am now worried about the engine fire problem (mentioned in its own thread). Yikes!! Seems like these are two very significant issues that can't be ignored....Subaru here we come?!!
  • vstromvstrom Member Posts: 5
    Everybody should just take a deep breath.

It's called torque steering. It has nothing to do with wheel alignment. It does not get worse or better. It is always the same and it makes itself known only during acceleration. Accelerate harder and it will tug harder. The force of the tug is directly proportional to the rate of acceleration. This is not the same as a pull caused by worn suspension components or misaligned wheels.

It is a very well-known effect caused by the unequal length drive axles on ALL front-drive vehicles from every manufacturer. Longer drive axles generate greater torque at the wheel than shorter axles. Period. You can change this only if you care to rewrite the laws of physics.

This is not a Honda thing. It is not a defect. If you were paying attention when you test drove your vehicle you would have felt exactly what you are feeling now. This did not change while you weren't looking.

You want to feel some REAL torque steering? Put your right foot completely into a twenty-four valve Taurus sedan on dry pavement. You'll feel some serious torque steering. As soon as the acceleration winds down however, you can relax your grip on the wheel.

If you don't like torque steering buy a rear-wheel drive vehicle. My Volvo 740 turbo wagon accelerates with some serious thrust. Straight as an arrow.

Please stop feeling like Honda or any other carmaker is trying to sell you damaged goods. They simply are not.

Now, that being said, if you have to wrestle with the steering wheel to go straight, even with your foot completely off the throttle, then you DO have a problem and need to figure it out. In this case you could well have an alignment problem or suspension damage. (But the damage would be obvious.)

I am in no way related to the Honda company. I do not now nor have I ever worked for Honda. I have however been in aviation and automotive maintenance for decades. I can tell you without hesitation that Honda builds some of the very best machinery in the world. Take a quick look at the resale value of Honda vehicles. That should tell you something about their quality and durability.

I promise I won't mention torque steering again.
    Sorry to disappoint you but I just don't feel this "problem" in the many CRV's I drive. I have NEVER ONCE detected a pull in any of them.

The sky isn't falling.
    vstrom,

Thanks for your info on torque. I don't doubt that torque plays a role in the power provided to make the car move and possible how the vehicle steers. That being the case, what I don't understand is why there is such a difference in the various years of Honda CRVs. Did Honda decide to increase the pttr causing torque dramatically in the '05 CRVs? I have a friend that has a '99 CRV and another friend that had an '01 CRV and currently has an '04 CRV that has no pttr at all. I have driven all 3 in the past. No pttr. I let my friend that has owned the 2 CRVs drive my '05 CRV and after just a short distance, he concluded that there is a major pttr 'problem.' This gentleman that has owned 2 CRVs and currently owns the '04 also valet parks five days a week. He confirmed that my '05 CRV definitely suffers from dramatic pttr. Coincidentally, one of the technicians at the Honda dealer stated on the repair invoice "pulls right" after test driving the vehicle.

On another note, I owned an '01 Toyota Rav4. It was a front wheel drive. It did not pull to the right (or left) at all upon acceleration. I put 40K miles on the RAV4 without a problem.

When I test drove the '04 CRV(since there were no '05s available at the time I purchased by '05 CRV) it did not pull to the right at all. When I first drove the '05 CRV, I immediately detected a major difference from the thousands of vehicles I have driven in the course of my life. (As I mentioned in a previous post, I valet parked for over 10 years.) All front wheel drive vehicles that I have driven did not pull to the right. If I am supposed to believe that a front wheel drive (FWD) vehicle traveling on the freeway is supposed to change lanes in less than 2 seconds when the driver's hands are off the wheel, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this point.

I invite all other persons that have ever driven front wheel drive vehicles to jump in on this issue and let us know if everyone that has a front wheel drive vehicle experiences their vehicle pull to the right when they accelerate their vehicle on a flat straight away. Steve
    To isellhondas,

Is this imaginary problem of pttr only on the Honda CRV Board or is it on all of the other vehicle Boards where front wheel drive vehicles are discussed? I used the 'google' search engine for pttr. The only thing that kept coming up were forums that talked about Honda. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. Steve
  • crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    Your description of torque steering is absolutely correct. Indeed, it is caused by unequal length drive axles. There's just one problem:

The new CRV seems to exhibit this condition to a much greater extent than any other FWD vehicle I've ever driven. My father owns a 24v Taurus SEL. To get it to torque steer you have to mash the accelerator all the way to the floor. Same goes with my Del Sol VTEC (a 2200 pound car that has as much power as my 3400 pound CRV). On the other hand, my CRV does it under virtually any acceleration.

The other thing that irritates me (and I assume many othes) is that Honda seems to change stories whenever it suits them.

Half the time they deny that it's a problem. Folks like isellhondas (and others) claim "hey, I've never felt a Honda car do this ... you must be imagining things".

Half the time they claim that it's normal and that all FWD cars do it: "No you can't have your money back, or exchange the car you bought, all cars do this, get used to it".

So which is it? If all CRVs torque steer people should be aware of that before they buy.

If only some CRVs torque steer (perhaps the axles are mounted wrong or something else is going on). Then Honda needs to acknowledge this and either figure out how to fix it, or exchange these vehicles for non-defective ones:

Can't have it both ways.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This topic is restricted to CR-V P&S. Therefore, if you wish to compare PTTR issues with other make/models, I suggest you create a new discussion in the Maintenance & Repair board. This way owners of other makes/models can chime in. You can find the M&R board via the "Browse by Message Board" drop-down to your left.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Now I do not actually own a CRV, but here's an outsiders perspective on this:
    - Based on some of the descriptions on this message board, SOME folks genuinely seem to have a PTTR problem that is not related to torque steer.
    - Some folks are most likely reading these messages, getting into their CRV's feeling the effects of some torque steer, crown in the road, improperly inflated tires, and think that their CRV has PTTR problems and is defective.

Back in November when I was looking at CRV's I drove several of them (AWD), and definitely did not notice any PTTR problems (and I am pretty anal about these things when I am about to spend 22-26K on a new car!) Two of my good friends have 05 CRV's and neither have this PTTR problem.

Like I said, I do not doubt that there is a legitimate PTTR problem for some of the owners who have posted, and most of you have stated that Honda went out of their way to help resolve the issue (alignment, new tires, replacing other parts, etc). I do not own a Honda, but I think that this may be getting blown a little out of proportion.
    I never said you were having an "imaginary" problem. I don't doubt your problem is real.

It just seems that you are trying to paint this is a MAJOR problem that affects huge numbers of CRVS.

I realize misery loves company but this just isn't the case...sorry.
    isellhondas,

Since you already posted that you do not know how FWD '05 Honda CRVs drive because they are not 'in your neck of the woods,' how can you continue to make any valid comments how these particular vehicles drive?

If you continue to believe that pttr is not the case with a significant number of '05 FWD CRVs, you need to go back and read this message board. Sorry to upset any sales that you may lose, but the public is entitled to know the truth before making a 20K plus investment. Denying the problem exists will only hurt Honda further in the long run. Honda typically makes a superb product. When, for a change, they make a sub par product, fault needs to be acknowledged where the fault lies. Additionally, the fault must be addressed and reconciled to the public's satisfaction. If it is not, the bad taste in the customer's mouth remains and is remembered for a long time. My Request for Arbitration under the Lemon Law goes out today. Win or lose, I will keep this Board up to date as the saga unfolds. Steve
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I ran mine up to 4000 RPMs a couple of days ago (freeway onramp), and held it there while I climbed a steep hill, and I didn't get PTTR. I didn't notice any torque steering either, but maybe I'm just used to the vehicle (2003).

WHOOOO! When the VTEC kicks in, what a hoot! BTW I passed a lumbering V8 Toyota Tundra who was ahead of me on the on ramp. Maybe he was trying to save gas or something.
  • bhbobbhbob Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I test drove 3 different CR-Vs in a month (and a few other cars) before we bought our new 2005 CR-V, no PTTR problem with any of them. What I don't understand is how someone could buy a $24,000 car without a test drive? My guess is that a PTTR problem would show up within the first few blocks on a test drive.
    Unfortunately, my test drive was in a 2004 model before the '05s arrived in my state. Hence, no opportunity to test drive the '05 before the purchase to discover the pttr problem. I'm glad to hear that you got one of the good ones. I think I did learn the lesson though, don't try and be the first one on the block with the new car if it means buying it without the test drive. Live and learn. Steve
  • 05crvexowner05crvexowner Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar problem with the "burning oil" smell coming from the engine after driving. I addressed this with Honda service at my 15,000 mile oil change today. He stated something about the oil dripping down the back of the engine, and that there was some "shield" that they could install. They "cleaned off the back of the engine really well" per the service rep, but he stated that no shield was put in place. I was told to come back in if the smell persisted.

This is a foul smell, like something is burning. As you can see I put plenty of miles on my CR-V. All service has been done at the dealer.

Anyone else have any new thoughts or anything to add?
    Steve,

I don't think I said that. 2WD CRVS are very poor sellers in my neck of the woods. We do sell one once in awhile and I've driven my fair share of them and didn't feel a pull.

I agree, although I think you are in the minority, people should simply drive the CRV they pan to buy.
    isellhondas,

With respect to pttr in 2wd CRVs, You wrote: "Someone mentioned this is more of a problem on the 2WD models? In my neck of the woods these don't sell very well...I've probably sold maybe three since 1997. IF THESE DO HAVE A PROBLEM I WOULDN'T KNOW SINCE I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WAS IN ONE." Emphasis added.

This is the only reason why I questioned why you continued to post comments on how these particular CRV models handle with respect to pttr problems when you previously stated you wouldn't know if they had a problem since you can't remember the last time you were in one. Steve
  • sunlvr7123sunlvr7123 Member Posts: 10
    I'm having that same problem with my '02 CR-V. Did you ever get your resolved? What was the problem?
    Thanks.
    Actually, after looking back, I sold a 2WD CRV in January to a couple who were moving to California. I was in it with them when they drove it and it didn't pull.

I did ask the guys in service and they knew nothing about this "problem" you talk about.

ALL cars can have an alignment problem that will cause a pull. This is why we have alignment racks and people who can use them. This isn't the widespread problem you seem to want to make this into.
    To isellhondas:

I'm glad to hear that you were able to find and drive one 2WD CRV that did not have the problem. Unfortunately, we have not all been that lucky.

Besides driving my '05 CRV with the pttr (pull to the right) problem, I was able to test drive only one other '05 2WD CRV. The CRV was driven with a regional Honda Manufacturer technician. The regional Honda Manufacturer technician was sent in specially as Honda's last chance to address the problem before legal action. Unfortunately, the second new '05 Honda CRV also had major pttr. Although, as you might expect, at first the technician denied any pttr problem with the vehicle stating that "under 30, it's supposed to do that." However, after the low speed test, the vehicle was taken on the freeway. When the Honda technician saw how the vehicle changes lanes (to the right) within 2 seconds unless constant pressure by the driver was placed on the steering wheel (to the left), he immediately insisted on being taken back to the dealership and would not continue with any dialogue. We haven't heard from Honda since. That was two weeks ago. Phone calls to the Honda Manufacturer requesting dialogue have gone unanswered.

According to everyone on this Board that brought their CRV with pttr to their dealer, their Honda dealers basically echoed the same position as you. e.g. 'they know nothing about the problem.' That is the most disconcerting part about this pttr problem. Until Honda admits/realizes the problem exists, (whether it be on 1 vehicle or 100,000 vehicles) they will not begin to adequately address the problem. I can only hope the Honda Manufacturer will take the NHTSA complaints serious. (You might want to check the complaints on the NHSTA website re: pttr on new Honda CRVs as they are beginning to accumulate.)

I have never doubted that some, maybe even most, '05 2WD CRVs do not have pttr. However, any one that is considering buying a CRV should know in advance how Honda employees will approach the pttr problem if they do have it. Besides my multiple posts on my experience and others' posts with similar experiences, your posts re: pttr are a prime example of what to expect from their respective Honda dealers.

I have a strong feeling that the number of posts on this Board by CRV owners with the pttr problem will continue to grow as more '05 CRVs are sold. Unfortunatly, for the many '05 Honda CRV consumers, my experience with pttr is not an isolated incident.

If any of you out there with the PTTR (pull to the right)problem wish to help others before they end up where you are at, I encourage you, if you have not already filed a formal complaint with the NHSTA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) to do so. Also, this may be one way to force Honda to acknowledge that your pttr problem is not an isoalted incident. Steve
  • hamman1hamman1 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a new CRX-SE. Picked it up on Monday, 3/7/05. I noticed the PTTR right away that I didn't notice on the one I test drove, or maybe I wasn't paying attention.
    Anyway, I took it back to the dealer and the service man had me ride as a passenger as he drove it. He said, "see, this is the crown of the road that makes the CRV pull to the right but If you want I'll put it on the alignment machine and check it".
    He did align it and found some specs slightly out of adjustment but it still pulls, very slightly now, much less than before.
    I fought this very problem with my 2001 Olds Alero. Had it back to the dealer 3 times to be aligned. No help! I took it to the local garage and had him align it. It steers beautifully now!!!!
    I'm going to do the test for PTTR, that is, take the foot off the gas and note if it still pulls to the right.
    George
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I have to say again that the possible PTTR issue together with the engine fire issue, and most importantly, the way Honda is handling these issues, has definitively turned me away from Honda.
    George,

Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure what you meant by 'take the foot off the gas and note if it still pulls to the right.' As I mentioned in previous posts, my pttr problem only exists upon acceleration. When coasting, the vehicle has very little pttr if at all. If it makes you feel any better, I also got the 'crown treatment' from one of the technicians on one of my test drives. It looks like this is one of Honda's standard answers to the pttr problem. Good luck. I truly hope your new purchase works out better than mine. Steve
    No, my posts are a "prime example" of my personal experience. These boards attract people with problems. Some people read these forums and jump to the conclusion major problems exist when they do not.
    You had a problem with your Olds and now your CRV?

It's possible you may be a bit over tuned in to this and others wouldn't have even noticed.

I wonder how many happy CRV owners read these forums, then get into their CRV, drive down the street, take their hands off the wheel only to discover theirs has an ever so slight pull too?
    I don't know whether or not these boards attract people with problems, but I am grateful that these issues were brought to my attention. If not for this board, I would have been clueless, despite the fact that the engine fire problem was reported in the New York Times, my local paper. Certainly, the dealer never mentioned this to us.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    My only advice would be to read the boards of every vehicle you're considering to purchase as diligently as you are this board.

And please let me know if you find a vehicle with no reported problems.

I very much agree with you about these boards. They are great to gather information where normally we wouldn't think a problem may exist.
    isellhondas,

When I follow the posts of others' 'personal experience' that actually own an '05 Honda and my own 'personal experience' dealing with Honda to SOLVE the problem, it seems to me that the excuses that you and Honda have come up with for people with pttr (and, in the past, CRV engine fires) sound like a broken record after a while. Anyone reading your posts would come to the conclusion that they are alone with the pttr problem and engine fires. Rather than continuing to down play these serious problems, can you actually provide any solution? That is the purpose of this Board. i.e. identify the problem and provide a solution. I am doing my best to accomplish this task. If you can offer anything in this regard, please do so.

If you are looking for people who tout the '05 CRV as the best vehicle experience they have ever had, then you're right, you won't find it on the CRV 'Problems and Solutions' Board.

As I am sure you are painfully aware, after Honda continued to downplay the engine fire problem on '04 CRVs (including where the fault lies) the NHTSA, who had an ongoing investigtion actually closed the investigation only to re-open it, once again, when Honda's reasons for the fire and Honda's attempts to solve the engine fire problem failed significantly. I hope this is not a repeat performance when it comes to the pttr problem. Steve
    I think I may have ***one*** CRV shopper ask about the fire situation and they still bought the car.

Actually, I think these boards are a great thing. My guess would be that people from Honda Corporate read them too and take actions.

I still maintain that given the huge numbers of CRV's sold, the problems are minimal.

Still, they should all be trouble free, I suppose.
    Just curious--what did you tell your prospective CRV customer about the engine fires?
  • crvburdencrvburden Member Posts: 1
    I totally can relate to the problem you are having with your CRV. We just bought a new 05 CRV EX AWD this February. The time of the test drive before we purchased it we noticed a pull to the right, but were assured that it was probably the alignment and it would be fixed straight away. Well, we have now been into the dealer 3 times for an ATTEMPT to correct the problem. Let me just say that they have NOT been able to fix the aggressive PTTR (I mean a pull to the right within 2 seconds on ANY terrain, to the point that I am constantly tugging on the wheel to the left to balance it out). They gave me the SAME explanations of the crown in the road, wind, etc. They have done the following with NO results:

*Rotated all the tires
    *Done an alignment (vehicle is in correct specs, but still pulls - Honda stated this)
    *Put the car on an alignment cradle (again within specs, but still pulls).
    *Took all new tires from a new CRV (excuse me but I thought mine was new), thinking it was a tire issue.

Honda stated they could not figure out the problem, but that the Honda of America representative would be at the lot that day (coincidence??) to test the vehicle. Oh did I mention that Honda said they were running out of procedures to fix the car and wanted to see how it ran with the head hauncho there.

They have now given the car back and said they were able to MINIMIZE the problem and that it is within an acceptable limit of pull as published by Honda, however, it still pull within a 3 second period. What is an Acceptable pull. Take your hands off the wheel for one second on a flat road, without wind and you are in a ditch.

We are now looking at bringing the vehicle in a forth time and fully pursuing the lemon law.

I WISH I had know that there was a chance that this would happen before we bought the CRV and kept looking until we found one that did not pull.

For those of you that say you have never had a problem, I certainly envy you. I am not saying this happens on ALL CRVs, but it is a larger problem than I thought previously. When you end up with the CRV that pulls you will certainly empathize. Just a warning for people like me, doing all the research and still ending up with a car that is less than my dream car..this coming from a diehard Honda owner. Well if this is not resolved... I heading to Toyota.
    What did I tell my customer?

I told them the truth. I also showed them my CRV that I drive everyday without the slightest fear of a fire or anything else.
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    my 02 CRV makes grinding noise coming from the right front end when it's turning left. Anyone had the similar problem? I heard that there was TSB for the issue.
  • crv818crv818 Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the pull to the right. This is from the front wheel drive,torque steer is what it is called. I just bought a 05 SE and it dose it also. It is common to front wheel drives some more than others. the more power a engine has the more torque steer you are likly to have,generaly speaking. Accelerate then let off the gas so you can coast awile on a flat road for 5 to 10 seconds.When i take it in for the 3000k service i'll say somthing but I already know what they are going to say about it.They will put it on the rack then give you a story just to ease, but thats it.
    It wont pull to the right when coasting because the engine is not appling power to the wheels so no torque steer
  • blueboyjocksblueboyjocks Member Posts: 36
    First, I wanna say thank you for everyone who shares their experience, problems, stories, idea, solutions etc in this forum. I plan to buy 2005 CR-V early summer, I deligently watch this forum discussion everyday. The first time I read about the PTTR problem for 2005 CR-V, I said to myself that, that was a rare problem, but now there are more and more posters everyday about PTTR and this certainly get my attention seriously and knowing the response from HONDA that seems don't care about this issue makes me really sad and disappointed. Honestly, the reason for me to buy the CR-V is because its reliability, it's a HONDA!! As far as body style, Jeep Liberty and RAV 4 are more appealing to me. I think I need to re-think about my decision to buy 2005 CRV. By the way, I just check RAV 4 forum and I don't see they have "Problem & Solution" forum discussion. I think I should shift the stick to RAV 4 discussion. Toyotaaaaaa...... I'm coming!!!!
    I just sold my 03 Liberty freedom edition 2wd because it had no traction in the rain. I would pull out on to the road and the right rear tire wold just spin. Unsafe so get full time 4wd . Other than that its great.
    crvburden,

If you have not already done so, file a complaint on the NHSTA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) website re: pttr. These statistics are memorialized for all time and others may be saved the trouble we must endure. My understanding is alot of people check that website before purchasing a vehicle. (Unfortunately, I was not one of the wise ones.) Moreover, if enough complaints are filed, NHTSA will request that Honda address the problem so we can eventually get some sort of remedy. Steve
    CRV 818, You wrote:

"It is common to front wheel drives some more than others."

This is true.

And you also stated: "the more power a engine has the more torque steer you are likely to have,generaly speaking."

This is untrue. Engine output does in no way determine the degree of torque steering effect. The largest single factor influencing torque steer is the difference in drive axle lengths.
    Steve,

I just read your reply in which you said:

...traveling on the freeway is supposed to change lanes in less than 2 seconds when the driver's hands are off the wheel,...

It is NEVER safe to drive on the freeway or any public road with your hands off the steering wheel. What on earth are you thinking?! Cars do not currently have directional autopilot systems. How about a little personal accountability and respect for the public safety? More than 40,000 Americans die on our roads each year. Are you part of the problem or the solution?

So what you're really saying is
    with no hands on the steering wheel, and while accelerating to speed, your CRV will move to the right. What do you expect??