Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Yes, there is room, unless teh 5 year old is really husky.
  • Options
    crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    Dear fellow CRV owners/potential CRV owners,

I don't usually like starting arguments on internet forums. But I think I have an obligation to respond to ISELLHONDA's comments.

I am a CRV owner who has the pull to the right (PTTR) problem. Two seperate dealerships and a Honda engineer have NOT been able to correct it.

ISELLHONDAS wrote:

"I have ridden in and driven, literally DOZENS of 2005 CRVS and have yet to find one that pulls to the right."

My reply:

Funny, mine pulls to the right and the three comparison vehicles the dealership tested (a 2004 CRV LX 2WD and 2 2005 CRV LX 2WD) ALL pulled (two to the right, one to the left).

Based on this, a Honda field engineer concluded that pulling (what he calls "torque steer") IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF 2WD CRVs. Based his conclusion, American Honda refuses to exchange my CRV for another one that does not pull, and they refuse to refund my money. Their argument is: "your car is normal, we can't give you one that doesn't do this, they all do this".

ISELLHONDAS wrote:

"It has to be remembered that these forums attact the few who have problems. Trouble is, they also create fear in current owners who will then look for problems in their own cars. They too, will suddenly hear the same rattle or feel the same pull to the right."

My reply:

Sure they'll feel it ... ESPECIALLY IF IT'S THERE! While it is true that these forums are more likely to attract people with problems, that doesn't mean those problems aren't legitimate. According to Honda engineering, a certain amount of pulling is normal for the CRV. Essentially, your own company is confirming what people on these forums are saying!

ISELLHONDAS wrote:

"The vast majority of owners are very happy with their CRV."

My reply:

I would be happier if mine didn't pull ... as would everyone else here who has a PTTR problem. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm completely unhappy with my CRV. There are many things about it that I like. After a long discussion with Honda customer relations I've decided to keep mine (and not pursue the matter in court).

In general, I'm not saying that the CRV is a bad vehicle. Even with the PTTR it may well be better than what's offered by the competition (which will have their own quirks). However, it's just not true that the pulling issue is a rare event that only happens to an unlucky few.

So, if you're considering buying a CRV, PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION when you test drive it. If it pulls, be prepared to live with that pull. Chances are very good your dealership WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CORRECT IT. If you can't live with the pull you experience on the test drive, DON'T BUY THE CAR!
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Well, if you've been around Townhall long enough, you'd know those are isell's signature responses. I'm not saying he's lying, but the tone of his response always seem to give the impression that he's minimizing the problems people are writing about.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    In the grand scheme of things, I have no idea how common the PTTR issue is. I've seen it reported on and off for the past six years. Some owners have resolved it. Others have not. But I've driven about 15 different CR-Vs. I've never actually had one that pulled to the right, unless I had my foot heavy into the throttle (which is torque steer and is normal). So I can see where Craig is coming from.
  • Options
    Varmint,

Well, at first mine pulled constantly. Whether you were accelerating or not. The dealership tried to resolve this by cross-rotating the tires and doing an alignment. When that didn't work they tried to sell it as "torque steer" and claimed it was normal.

I eventually had another dealership correct this problem by having them adjust the camber on the tires. After that, the vehicle tracked straight but still pulled under acceleration (ANY acceleration, even gentle acceleration).

Honda called in a field engineer at this point (because I still refused to accept it as normal). His conclusion was that ALL CRVs pull under acceleration (based on the fact that all the cars in his trial did).

Now ... is it possible that I just HAPPENED to get several pulling models at my dealership for his test (even though, as you and ISELL claim, you've never seen a CRV that pulls).

It's possible, random luck can do funny things, it's just not very likely. If you give me an estimate of what you think the TRUE number of pulling CRVs is (1%, 5%, 10%) I'll give you the probability that I happened to get 4 pulling vehicles for my test.

It's a simple calculation: one I teach in my intro statistics classes. For instance, if the true number of "pullers" is 10%, the chances of getting 4 "pullers" in a sample of 4 is 0.1^4 = 0.0001 or 1/100%.

Now again, I want to be fair. I'm not saying that this pulling problem is "fatal". Perhaps I am "fussier" than the average customer (who won't mind a bit of torque steer ... or whatever else you want to call it). But my experience leads to one of three possible conclusions:

1) The PTTR problem is a lot more common than you are suggesting.
    2) Someone doctored my test (I have no evidence of this and won't suggest it to be true).
    3) I got really, really, REALLY unlucky in the sample of cars I've been in contact with.
  • Options
    hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    guess I am a bit confused by your response. If I filled my tank, reset the trip meter, drove 278 miles, and then to fill my tank again I had to put 14.2 gallons into the tank... can't I then say the car consumed 14.2 gallons to travel 278 miles? How else would you (or could you) calculate your mpg?

Sorry to confuse you. I guess I assumed that you really didn't get 14.2 gallons in the tank. I'm amazed that you did. However, you're driving a 2005, aren't you? That may make a difference. I've never been able to fit more than 13-13.5 gallons in my tank and I've REALLY pushed it before... running on fumes!

I'm stumped by your low mileage.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    From the number of complaints I've read about on this and other CR-V related message boards as compared to the number of CR-Vs sold each year I'd guess the % at less than 1%. That's 1,000 or so CR-Vs each model year with the problem.

My '99 CR-V has always tracked straight when cruising at a constant speed. The only time I've experienced torque steer is under _very_ hard acceleration.

The Honda tech was dead wrong. Not all CR-Vs PTTR. Most do not. It's not a safety feature, and it's not normal.

JM2C
  • Options
    "Now ... is it possible that I just HAPPENED to get several pulling models at my dealership for his test (even though, as you and ISELL claim, you've never seen a CRV that pulls)."

Add me to the mix. I've driven 3 (including the 2003 I bought in 2002) and none of them had any torque steer.
  • Options
    All CR-V's will experience torque steer. That is a normal trait for a vehicle with unequal half-shafts driving the front wheels. But torque steer would only happen when you press hard on the throttle. As good as the mighty K24 may be, it does not produce enough torque to cause problems like that under "normal" acceleration.

If someone's vehicle is exhibiting a pull under light acceleration, that is a true case of PTTR. And there have been many of them (1% sounds pretty reasonable). But just because a problem is common, does not make it normal.

I'd kick and scream at my dealer if they couldn't fix it. I don't blame anyone for that.
  • Options
    crv4mecrv4me Member Posts: 10
    Well said, Crimdoc! I would have written off my experience to being a little fussier than the average driver, but when the work order came back with a long disertation of what was done to try to compensate for the PTTR, it validates there was a problem. If there wasn't a problem, why would the alignment tech and his manager have done three tire roatation combinations and two alignments. I reported my experience to Honda of America, and got the reply "They are looking into it". No further communication from HOA. I would like to hear a resonable explanation as to why some CR-Vs are sensitive to PTTR, while others aren't. Other than having to keep on the ball to keep it between the lines while driving, the CR-V is a well designed vehicle. They just seem "twitchy". The dealer graciously replaced our first vehicle. This one is a bunch better that the first, although it too has the tendancy to drift/pull either right (or left). Guess thats just the way it is...
  • Options
    steelbirdsteelbird Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2WD. I had this PTTR problem. They fixed it, but now the car pulls both to the right and left. I have to keep correcting the direction all along. Its very frustrating.
  • Options
    Wait a minute, how can it pull BOTH left and right? Would that, technically, be not a drift/pull problem then? More like a alignment or tracking issue.
  • Options
    There's a big difference between "pull" and "drift".

PTTR is a pull you have correct by keeping constant pressure on the steering wheel. The vehicle is always trying to take you off course. It doesn't matter what speed you're driving or how hard you step on the accelerator. If you let go the car will take a right-hand turn.

This is not the same as letting go of the wheel and the vehicle gently drifts off to one side of the road or another. That could easily be the result of the crown in the road. If the vehicle threatens to drift either left or right, you do not have PTTR.
  • Options
    rashredrashred Member Posts: 4
    I just registered with this site, and am a new 2005 crv se owner. I've got about 500 miles on the car and have noticed a burning/radiator fluid type smell coming from under the hood. I brought the car back to the dealership and they smelled it too. I told the mechanic that the front vent of the car had really started steaming when I took it into a car wash.They thought it might be a loose radiator cap, but they said they couldn't fine anything else wrong. They tightened the cap and told me it might take a few miles to burn off any residue.

Well, I've now driven the car approx. another 100 miles and the smell is still there, though it doesn;t seem quite as bad.

Does anyone have any experience with this with their CRV? I really like the CRV, but am irritated that the problem doesn't seem to be zeroed in on yet.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA
  • Options
    compkaricompkari Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 CRV w/ 133,000 mi. and have had some strange things happening w/ the ignition switch, it gets locked into the ignition. When I go to turn the car off it refuses to let me take the key out. I have to restart the car, move it, put it back into park, and then it will let me take the key out. I wonder if it is connected to the ignition switch problem, I will take it to the dealer and see what they think.
  • Options
    Varmint,

Agreed.

Before I took my car back and started yelling at the dealership I did a series of experiments. I drove it in the left, middle and right hand lanes of a highway (to factor out road crown). I drove it up and down the flattest parking lot I could find (for the same reason). I also drove it in all different directions (to factor of the push of the wind on the side of the vehicle).

I would encourage everyone who thinks they have a PTTR problem to go through these steps first before making a fuss.

In my case, the original PTTR was severe enough that after a 200 or so mile trip on the highway my arm quite literally hurt from holding the steering wheel in place (as I said in an earlier message, Honda was eventually able to correct this ... although it was after 4 tries, and after originally arguing that it was normal).
  • Options
    lorelei2lorelei2 Member Posts: 8
    I am also the owner of a 2005 se and I also have what I would call excessive steam coming from the from grille when I use a high pressure car wash. I can't say that I've noticed a particular smell though ...
  • Options
    Thanks for responding. Have you talked to your dealer about the excess steam? If you have, did they speculate on what it might be?

My Temp. gage doesn't read above normal, so there are no "indicator" lights giving warning signs. It's a little frustrating. My dealer tried to say a little steam was normal after a car wash, but I've never had that much steam come out of a grill after any kind of car wash. Also, as I said in my last email, the overheating/burning type smell also bothers me.

Thanks again for responding.

rashred
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I believe that there was a recall on ignition switches on early-model CR-V's. To see if yours is affected, get your VIN, and login to www.ahm-ownerlink.com

You can enter your VIN, and the site will let you know about any recalls on your vehicle. I don't know for a fact, but last time I visited there, it implied that Honda updates its record on your vehicle when TSB/Recall work is done.
  • Options
    If you wash your car after it's been driven for awhile, you will get steam coming out from the front grille because cold water on a hot radiator will produce steam. But I'm not sure I've seen steam coming out from the dash vents. Regarding burning smell of coolant, did you check to see if the coolant level in the reservoir bottle is overfilled past the max line?
  • Options
    Subaru owners often complain of a smell comparable with rotten eggs during the initial break-in period. It comes from brand new plastics and sealants being warmed up with use. Sorta like "new car smell", which is actually formaldehyde. Although I cannot recall anyone complaining about this problem with a CR-V, you might be the lucky one.

Just make sure it isn't oil leaking!
  • Options
    borisswartborisswart Member Posts: 6
    Our new SE got rear-ended this weekend with 400 miles on it. Estimate is $4700 to replace rear bumper structure, rear cargo well, muffler and other parts including trim, pick-nick table ($313 for that) and wheel cover ($467.08 - probably ought to lock that somehow).

Anyone have tips on requesting a new vehicle from the insurance company or going after diminished value since the accident will show up on the vehicle's history?

Thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Assuming the other party is at fault.. I would be screaming for a new car..

Doesn't mean it will work.. but, if you let them know you will be pursuing a diminished value claim in the $5K-$6K range, it may get their attention...

If it were your own fault, with your own insurance company paying, you would be out of luck...

Your only chance for a new one.. .is that this one is so new (under a month, right?) and the possibility of a diminished value claim..

You may have to agree to no other compensation to get it done (no rental, no medical, etc.)..

Do you have an insurance agent, that can give you advice on this?

Good luck.. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    maryanneskmaryannesk Member Posts: 3
    Hi:
    My car battery died. My husband jumped the car with jumper cables. Now the radio/CD/Tape doesn't work. When I push some buttons the message Err E comes up. What do I do to fix it?
    Thank you for your help.
    Maryanne
  • Options
    This didn't happen because he jumped it... It happened because the battery died... You need your radio code to re-activate the radio.. It is the anti-theft feature that caused this..

Your car should have come with a card (credit card size) that has the radio code on it.. maybe with your owner's manual?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    coudiebugcoudiebug Member Posts: 26
    Also, make sure that a diminished claim is legal in your state, I had something similar happen (not with the low miles you have)but could not file a claim because my state does not recognize them. I too, would be screaming for a new vehicle.

CoudieBug
  • Options
    "I just registered with this site, and am a new 2005 crv se owner. I've got about 500 miles on the car and have noticed a burning/radiator fluid type smell coming from under the hood"

My 2003 had a smell for the first 1000 miles or so, apparently it was some sort of engine protection coating that gradually burned off. I never really got a grip on what it was, but it disappeared.
  • Options
    compkaricompkari Member Posts: 2
    ecotrklvr,
    Thanks for your response.

I took it to the dealer today. There is a recall on the ignition switch. They fixed it. Not sure if that is why the key locks in the ignition periodically. I will keep everyone posted as it may be another precusrer for the stalling problem with ignition switch defect.

There is also a free tune up under 150,000mi., something to due with the emission controls. Others may be able to take advantage of that too. Again, mine is a '97 CRV.
  • Options
    danieludanielu Member Posts: 1
    A very serious problem with CRVs!
    I did all scheduled checks on my 2000 CRV. At 130K miles "check engine" has lighted. Today mechanics at Menlo Honda, Redwood City, CA, defined that I have a bad problem with a valve, so the head of cylinder must be changed, - cost is &3300, 3 days of work! They claim that the problem is often, the only remedy they might suggest is to check and adjust the valves each 15K miles. Price for that &150.
    Probably, Honda id trying to cover that very serious problem with CRVs.

Be careful when buying new CRV!
    Daniel
  • Options
    The other driver was at fault and rec'd the ticket. We've had the vehicle less than 2 weeks.

The other driver's insurance agent ruled out a new car and is trying to weasel out on the diminished value adjustment. The insurance company says they can't predict how much the accident will decrease the value.

Once the car's out of the shop, I plan on getting an appraisal from the dealer we bought the car from as a way to find out how much the accident decreased the value (compared to a another SE with 400 miles, no accidents in CARFAX). I'm hoping the insurance company will make up the difference. Will let you know what happens...

Thanks
  • Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    I had 614 miles and 10 days on a new Villager a few years ago when I was front-ended by a fellow who happened to live a couple houses up the street.

I got 3 Mercury dealers to provide a quote on trade-in value after reviewing the damage claim and amount.

Then I asked my insurance company to provide a written quote on how much they would appraise the vehicle, given the damage it had received (and would be repaired).

I presented my quotes to the insurance company in a certified letter. I did receive compensation.
  • Options
    I'd keep pressing the issue with the insurance company.. let them know that you plan on suing for diminished value and attorney's fees.. and that you are considering a claim in the area of $10K, even after the car is fixed..

IOW, pressure upfront is the only thing that will get you a new car.. Once they start repairs, your only compensation can be money (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I'm not suggesting any of this will work.. it is just what I would try.. Keep us updated.. very interesting.. Glad no one was hurt..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks for your feedback. Actually, I don't have any steam coming in through the vents,but I did have a lot of steam coming from the front grill after getting the CRV washed. I had been driving for an huour or so when I got it washed, but regardless, I've never seen that much steam coming from any car I've driven after a wash.

As far as the burning fluid smell goes, my dealer/mechanic said they checked the radiator and there was no fluid/leak problem and that it was probably a loose radiator cap. That being said, I can't say if the radiator resevoir is overfilled or not. I got 2 different responses when I asked if the radiator fluid level was alright. My dealer mechanic told me it was fine that I wouldn't be able to see the correct level unless I ran the car for a while. I rep I spoke with at American HOnda told me the opposite was true, that I should look at the level when the car was 'cold. In either case, I don't know how to eyeball which level is best. I do know that the dipstick built in to the fluid reservoir is way above any fluid I can see. I clearly need to go to some automotive classes!

Thanks again. Any further info. is greatly appreciated.

rashred
  • Options
    Thanks.

I hope that's all it is.

rashred
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Was the Villager repaired before the quotes were mailed to the insurance company?

I know the insurance company wants to cut a check ASAP, but I'm concerned I'm giving up any leverage I have once the repair starts (and I'm expecting they'll start charging me for the rental car as soon as they can.)
  • Options
    armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Is there any reason to believe that newer CRV's don't have the PTTR problem?
  • Options
    My Villager was under repair at the time I visited my three dealers (one Ford, two Mercury) and requested an estimate of the value of the vehicle from my insurance company. The damage was about $8,000.

It was a while ago and I don't recall the logic I used, but I believe I asked my insurance company to quote me the value of the vehicle if they were going to total it following repairs (as if it had been repaired first, driven, and then had to be totaled). Their value was close to that quoted by the three dealers.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    In a word:

"No"
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    tried 4 new tires?
  • Options
    coley1coley1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for giving me information that actually makes sense. I appreciate your's and ecotrklvr's help.
  • Options
    vajensonvajenson Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me if anyone has this problem. The CRV has the auto switching 4 wheel drive, and every time you turn at low speed, it squeels like a u-joint is bad? This may be common to all crv's but its every time you are at low speed and turn even into a driveway? Vehicle has 60k.
  • Options
    vajensonvajenson Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me if anyone has this problem. The CRV has the auto switching 4 wheel drive, and every time you turn at low speed, it squeels like a u-joint is bad? This may be common to all crv's but its every time you are at low speed and turn even into a driveway? Vehicle has 60k.
  • Options
    This is your problem. Read post #3 at the link below.

varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" #3, 22 Nov 2003 12:10 pm
  • Options
    Thanks for the info - it will help. I also spoke to the Washington State Insurance Commissioner's Office. They provided similar advice - get quotes from three dealers after the vehicle is repaired and submit a certified letter to the insurance company. If that doesn't work they suggested I'd have a good case for small claims court.
  • Options
    edcaredcar Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the purchase of a 2005 CR-V SE. Most of the websites list Japan as the country of origin but all vehicles at local dealers (eastern USA) were assembled in the UK. Are all CR-V's now produced in the UK or only those sold in the eastern USA? Is the quality and reliability of CR-V's produced in the UK equal to those produced in Japan? I remember an Acura, called a Sterling, produced in the UK many years ago that was junk.
  • Options
    The Sterling had a Honda design (sort of) and a Honda engine, but it was no Acura... It was made by Rover.. total crap..

There are no statistics that suggest that the UK built CR-Vs are any different than the Japanese models..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Several vehicles (including the CR-V) produced in the Swindon plant have been winning reliability and durability awards in their overseas markets. The magazine WHICH publishes one of the awards, but I forget who does the others.

So, no, there is no reason to assume a Japanese CR-V is better than the UK built units.
  • Options
    memphiscrv03memphiscrv03 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading this board for over a year now and I must be one of the luckly ones. I have had none of the issues everyone is talking about. No pttr issue, no fire issue,no 4 wheel drive noises, no premature tire wear.....nothing but smooth sailing. I must have gotten a good one.
  • Options
    I also wondered about the Japan vs. England issue. My Alabama dealer had a pair of Japanese-built CR-Vs, but both were in the dark blue.

Coming out of a dark green Accord, I wanted a light-colored vehicle. The white CR-V I purchased was made in England.

Looking forward to this summer when we drive it cross-country, park it in the boiling southern Utah sun, and get into it after a 4-hour hike in Zion Nat'l Park.

I've only had one "problem" with my English CR-V: the passenger side front door lock sat crooked in the lock channel. It was fixed under warranty. I figured the Swindon worker had had one too many pints at lunch.
  • Options
    edcaredcar Member Posts: 2
    In an earlier posting, I stated that I was considering the purchase of a 2005 CR-V SE. I have concern over the spare tire mounted on the rear door. It appears that another vehicle, even slightly tapping the rearend of the CR-V, would strike the spare tire cover first and possibly even dent the rear door. The back bumper would not be contacted. This could be a concern when you have a $500 insurance deductible and often park parallel to the curb (I have seen people judging how close they are by tapping the car in front). Has anyone had any experience with this situation?