Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    If you have a dog in the CRV it will be gone in seconds.
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    Mine imploded on my 2002 a few weeks back. I just took it in last week only to have the dealer tell me that it internally fell apart. So new compressor, clutch, coil and receiver drier. Set me back about $1,450. I got 78,000 miles so I guess I'm lucky compared to many of you other posters. I had no idea that this was a common problem.

My service rep told me that this should not be happening on a car of my age and mileage. I agreed and called Honda. I'm waiting to see what considerations they will possibly offer. With 2 other Honda's in the family, this failure is really a disappointment. Personally while I'd rather not be stuck with the bill at all, I'd be happy if they would at least cover the parts ($775).

Jack
    Yep I have the same issue on my 2002 and on my '97 Accord. I disagree though on it totally being engine related. In many cases its some other components that heat soak. For example its 93 right now and my Accord has been sitting since 8am in the sun. When I start up the air will be hotter than the outside temp, even though the engine is "technically" cold. Running the air will cool down those internal components but eventually the engine heat will indeed feed into the fresh air system requiring the A/C to be turned back on.

Jack
  • omygreyomygrey Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in what Honda has to offer you. My AC compressor just failed. I have a 2002 CRV with 60,000. I had no idea the compressors were a big problem until a friend of mine sent me a link to this site.
    Suzanne
  • tex_dudetex_dude Member Posts: 3
    Sounds familiar. I purchased 06 CRV SE May 29. The test drive was all under 60 mph, so I didn't notice the vibration until the next day on the Interstate. It starts at about 62 mph, continues thru about 75 mph. Took back to the dealer; they balanced the tires, but that made no difference. They had Discount Tires balance on a more sophisticated machine - less intense vibration, but still there. Left with the dealer again. When they called, they said they'd tested other CR-V's (all models/trims) and they all had the same vibration. Also, told me that they checked with Honda America, who confirmed that the vehicles exhibited that behavior, but since they all did it, it was just a characteristic of that model. I've asked for my money back, the dealer is resisting, trying to get me to switch to an Accord...they can buy back but I'll lose $4 because it's now a used car. (?)Not sure where to turn now - perhaps BBB arbritation?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    $4 or $4K? ;)

did you try rotating the tires now that the vehicle has had the tires re-balanced and re-aligned?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi omygrey,

You might want to post this as well in our new Honda CR-V: AC Issues topic!

MrShiftright
    Host
    Hi, I'm going to move your post about your success in getting some re-imbursement from Honda for your AC compressor to the

CR-V: AC compressor issues topic

See you there if you wish to follow up!

MrShiftright
    Host
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Why are the hosts so concerned about posts that might not be in the right place?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We are reorganizing the boards in order to make it easier for people to find the specific information they are looking for. Hope that helps! :)

tidester, host
    Newcomers get discouraged with topics that have 5,000 posts. So we try to "branch" some topics into smaller issues.
    Hi,

I'm going to move your post concerning the CR-V AC compressor problems to our new CR-V: AC compressor issues topic.

See you there!

Host
  • tex_dudetex_dude Member Posts: 3
    Yes, they did that too. They said they were going to try a different type/brand tire, but I just got a message saying that the 'experts' at Honda America advised that was not likely to fix anything. I guess I will be exploring the arbritration option as they do not want to refund my money or buy the vehicle back.
  • ruin92ruin92 Member Posts: 3
    About three weeks ago, the Check Engine Light came on in our 2001 Honda CRV. At the same time, the car was idling real low, and seemed as though it was going to stall.

I brought it to my local repair shop, who thought it was the car's "computer." However, replacing this part did not fix the problem as the car was still spitting out a number of different repair codes. They suggested that I take it to the dealer.

Dealer did the same tests and were unsure what the problem was. They suggested it might be a cylinder head, which would cost $3500. However, since they weren't sure and the Check Engine Light had not come back on since they reset it, they suggested letting the car ride and see what happens. After a week, the Check Engine Light has not come back on, and we have not had a problem with the car idling low.

My concern is this is our family car, and my wife often drives it with our two young children. I don't want her to get stuck at some point if the car breaks down. At the same time, the car has very low mileage (48k), and I'd like to keep it for awhile. Any suggestions on: a) what the problem might be, and/or b) would you think about trading the car in now for a newer, more reliable car? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • cgfoxcgfox Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased the CR-V. While it's driving very well, about a day or two after I purchased it I started to notice that when breaking and coming to a complete stop a "clicking" sound happens. I hear and feel this through the steering wheel just about every time I break.

I just took it to the dealer who claims that it's the "break relay engaging" and that the noise is normal in the 2006 model. They claim that they test drove another new model on the lot and the same thing was happening.

While I would like to believe this is true, I can't imagine that on a brand new car this is normal.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  • crvmancrvman Member Posts: 14
    Good afternoon,
    I had a wonderful 2000 CRV however it was totaled in a garage fire and in December 05 purchased a 2006 CRV-LX. I only had the car 5 minutes before the "rear door open light" appeared lit on my dashboard, although the door was closed and locked. I have been to Honda twice already and the light still comes on intermittently.
    Yesterday, after driving in the rain, and shutting down I noticed that my rear tail lights, dashboard lights, and front (orange-yellowish)light would not shut off. I drove to Honda and upon examination they say now that a box called a "multiplex", (which coordinates the lights), is bad and will have to be replaced. Has anybody has a similar experience and does this meas that the CRV is going downhill???? Thanx
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Since I have NEVER heard of a multiplex!

Don't worry, just have them replace it. Stuff happens even to Hondas.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Since I have NEVER heard of a multiplex! "

You know, 13 screens and theater seating? Ba-da-bum!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Good afternoon,
    I had a wonderful 2000 CRV however it was totaled in a garage fire and in December 05 purchased a 2006 CRV-LX. I only had the car 5 minutes before the "rear door open light" appeared lit on my dashboard, although the door was closed and locked. I have been to Honda twice already and the light still comes on intermittently.
    Yesterday, after driving in the rain, and shutting down I noticed that my rear tail lights, dashboard lights, and front (orange-yellowish)light would not shut off. I drove to Honda and upon examination they say now that a box called a "multiplex", (which coordinates the lights), is bad and will have to be replaced. Has anybody has a similar experience and does this meas that the CRV is going downhill???? Thanx

My rear cargo area light and the dashboard indicator for the tailgate flickers when going over bumps on the highway. Told the dealer, they could not replicate, of course. I asked them to replace the switch, they say they are not going to throw parts at it without knowing the cause.

I am pretty sure it is the tailgate switch.
    I just recently purchased the CR-V. While it's driving very well, about a day or two after I purchased it I started to notice that when breaking and coming to a complete stop a "clicking" sound happens. I hear and feel this through the steering wheel just about every time I break.

I just took it to the dealer who claims that it's the "break relay engaging" and that the noise is normal in the 2006 model. They claim that they test drove another new model on the lot and the same thing was happening.

While I would like to believe this is true, I can't imagine that on a brand new car this is normal.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Ask the dealer if knows anything about "reverse lock out solenoid." It prevents you from engaging reverse gear in an automatic equipped vehicle while moving forward. No such thing on a manual version, no noise, no clicking...
    Keep your day job, Ba-da-bing!
    Thanx for your response. What's really strange about this light problem has to do with the fact that on that morning, I had just tried my new portable GPS system for the first time.Honda has said that the GPS system had nothing to do with it. Coincidence???
    Have a nice holiday!
  • tjvtjv Member Posts: 1
    My son just replaced a 99 honda auto trans. He now has a diagnosed burnt valve. There are 245K on the car. Is it worth putting in a rebuilt engine? (guessing 1K for the engine and 1K for the installation). Can a moderately skilled Dad (economically and successfuly) do a valve job? If you did a valve job would you not have to do the block too? How hard is a total rebuild. (I did a Ford 8N tractor once).

Thanks,

TJV
  • hoordershoorders Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,

Im brand new to this forum. I have a 97 crv and in warm weather it like to get real hot.....seems like it will overheat. the temp gauge will keep rising and rising. I have noticed that the electric fan on the rad does not come on. I checked the fuse and its fine. Any ideas? Could it be the sensor?......where is the sensor located?

Thanks everyone!!
    My son just replaced a 99 honda auto trans. He now has a diagnosed burnt valve. There are 245K on the car. Is it worth putting in a rebuilt engine? (guessing 1K for the engine and 1K for the installation). Can a moderately skilled Dad (economically and successfuly) do a valve job? If you did a valve job would you not have to do the block too? How hard is a total rebuild. (I did a Ford 8N tractor once).

Thanks,

TJV

You will find it very easy to replace the head if you have rebuilt any engine before. You don't need to replace the whole engine, just the head. While at it, replace with with one from Acura Integra that had VTEC and replace that computer Integra's as well, and voila, you have a CR-VTEC.

The new head with valve train:

12100-P75-020 CYLINDER HEAD ASSY. $993.43

from Majestic Honda

Get a Helms Manual. It is the same one Honda techs use at the dealerships, it is the Official Honda manual.
    Hi everyone,

Im brand new to this forum. I have a 97 crv and in warm weather it like to get real hot.....seems like it will overheat. the temp gauge will keep rising and rising. I have noticed that the electric fan on the rad does not come on. I checked the fuse and its fine. Any ideas? Could it be the sensor?......where is the sensor located?

Thanks everyone!!

Looks like the sensor or the relay are dead. You can isolate the replay by switching the A/C relay with the cooling fan relay and see if it works.

The sensor is threaded into the radiator, I think.
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    You may want to check to make sure the themosat is working correctly. It may be sticking.
  • smoonsmoon Member Posts: 1
    It has been very heartening to go on to this website. We are just about to upgrade car with 3 kids in tow. Absolutely loved Honda CRV for room and drive, but the road noise is a shocker! Mentioned it to the dealer who looked shocked and amazed - what road noise??? Jumped in came with us for a spin - and smiled politely and asked "what exactly are you hearing". Took it home overnight - started to think I was going mad - then put "road noise honda" in search engine and wammo. What an issue. Compared the Honda to Nissan Xtrail and Rav4 and they do not have this problem. Very poor insulation and now can see tyres are an issue too. What a shame as I LOVE THIS CAR and so do the kids. Why oh why hasn't Honda read all these messages over the years and fixed it! Had a headache after 1/2 hour highway driving - absolutely shocking. Was going to buy 2006 but may need to buy slightly older to afford to pay for the sound insulation and tyres. Is it fixable.....????
  • hoordershoorders Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply...........I did actually swap out the relay to see if it was that......and it wasn't......I will see if I can find the sensor on the rad.......thakns agian. I will post back if I find the problem.
    Hi. I've had a 98 CRV and now a 2006. And we are about to buy a 2006 civic. I really think the road noise is an individual thing. Like - I hear it and I know it's not super quiet, but I just don't really notice it hardly ever. But as you said LOTS of people complain about it. On the other hand the cars are really selling, so it's not a deal breaker for many. For what its worth the 2006 does seem quieter than the 98, and the civic seems quieter than that.

It is wierd because I'm almost sure that Honda does follow these pages. I've seen issues corrected in one model year - that seemed to be based on some kind of customer input.

Mark
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    How much do the X-Trail and RAV4 cost in your market? Here the RAV4 when outfitted similarly to a CR-V will cost a lot more. The CR-V is a small, entry level SUV. You want silence? Buy a full size luxury SUV.
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    Yes, there is road noise. And no, it doesn't seem to be fixable, unfortunately. You either live with it or buy another car.
  • chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    I haven't been on this site for a while and I am sure this question has been asked, but what really needs to be done at the scheduled maintenance intervals? I own a 2005 CRV SE that I bought a year ago.
    I've had the oil changed at 5,000, and got the basic 10,000 service. At 15,000 miles I felt the Service Writer was trying to sell me a bunch of things, that I doubt I really need. One was draining and changing the differential fluid. I forgot some of the others. I only wanted and oil change and that is what I ended up with.
    My question is, what really needs to be done and what is/are the unnecessary extras.
    I haven't been on this site for a while and I am sure this question has been asked, but what really needs to be done at the scheduled maintenance intervals? I own a 2005 CRV SE that I bought a year ago.
    I've had the oil changed at 5,000, and got the basic 10,000 service. At 15,000 miles I felt the Service Writer was trying to sell me a bunch of things, that I doubt I really need. One was draining and changing the differential fluid. I forgot some of the others. I only wanted and oil change and that is what I ended up with.
    My question is, what really needs to be done and what is/are the unnecessary extras.

Well, you can follow the FREE book they give you, it is called OWNER's MANUAL. Depending on your driving habits and conditions you can follow Normal or Severe schedule. But, changing the differential fluid is up to you. Honda does not recommend it this soon, but if you develop noise when making tight turns, then the fluid needs to be replaced. I just replaced it on mine, I have an 05 EX with about 15,000 miles. It cost me about $8 for 1 botttles of fluid, and $4 for the fill tube. The tube can be used to fill tranny as well (I have manual). I am going to replace the tranny fluid this weekend as well. It is not needed, but I do it as part of preventative maintenance. I also change oil at 5000 mile intervals, but with 0W-20 Mobil 1 and OEM filter.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, but with the book you have to go out to your car and dig around the glove box (or maybe your spouse drove the car today) and then you have to remember where you left it when it winds up in your cubicle.

On the other hand, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide is right here. :shades:

Oh yeah, it's free too.

Steve, Host
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    On the other hand, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide is right here
    Oh, man, what did you do! Now we - the ones that love to check into their MANUAL - are gonna be extinct. :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You know the html version of your owner's manual is coming to your navigation screen soon - in a few years, a dead tree owner's manual will be a pricy option. ;)

Just think, every morning at 3 am, Honda will wirelessly connect with your car and update the manual, the maps, recode the tranny shift points based on your previous day's habits, and then email you your mpg summary and maintenance reminders.

Steve, Host
    Well, you can follow the FREE book they give you, it is called OWNER's MANUAL.
    You didn't see that coming, did you :D;)
    I have an 05' SE also, and follow to the Severe Maint. Schedule - I consider it a good idea, plus I tend to over maintain my cars (I think that's one reason to have a perfectly running 01 Galant with over 107K, even after some atrocities done to it by incompetent service garages).
    Very easy to remember for me: oil change at every 5k, tire rotation every 10K and looking up the aforementioned favorite reading material (a.k.a. Owners Manual) every 30K.
    Now regarding the Dual Pump Fluid, changing much sooner and much more frequently is one of the few "Dealer Recommended" Services that actually is worth doing. There are a few cases of the DP Fluid breaking by or even before 30K. Mine failed at 17K, Dealer was well aware of that and replaced it under warranty; I'm sure Honda is aware of the issue too.
    Another small thing you might wanna check is the cabin air filter. Recommended check at 15K and replacement at 30K. Mine actually was quite nasty at 15K so I replaced it - it's cheap, especially if you do it yourself and buy online. We discussed this about a month ago on the thread and someone was kind enough to post the procedure from a 2003 CRV Manual (it's left out of the 2005 Manual).
    Hope this helps
    Chris
    Nice! If they could also start the espresso machine at 06.30 a.m. (after free upgrade and for only 9.99/mo). :shades:
    But I'm sure it's coming, sooner or later, no matter how it might sound today. It would be different that the sometimes generalized schedules we see online; your link though is pretty good, so I guess I'm in trouble :).
    On my Accord, I usually follow the maintence schedule as listed in the manual, regarding fluid changes. I don't do the dealer "pack" since I think it has a lot of items that really don't justify the costs involved. The only service I do completely is the 30,000 mile maintenance. In the case of my Accord, that includes a tune up, transmission and brake fluid changes. I have 144,000 miles and have never had a repair bill yet other than normal maintenance items.

My '02 CRV was bought used with 68,000 miles on it and I've had it in twice for oil changes. I've had two repair issues, one being the air conditioner compressor failure which I detailed in a different post, and a failure of a air/fuel sensor that requires a replacement. I'm doing that myself since its a simple matter of unplugging the sensor and removing it from the exhaust system.

Since I don't know how well the previous owner serviced this vehicle, I am planning to have the differential oil changed and possibly the transmission oil also. Then I'll get the vehicle back on to the normal service schedule.

Jack
    Just think, every morning at 3 am, Honda will wirelessly connect with your car and update the manual, the maps, recode the tranny shift points based on your previous day's habits, and then email you your mpg summary and maintenance reminders.

They Can't do that, unless they have developed Johnny Mnemonic technology and can get into my brain
    I had heard that there were some inaccuracies in the OWNER's MANUAL regarding the proper frequency for changing the differential fluid.
  • tuppencetuppence Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 CRV and it has recently developed a whine from the rear. It never occurs until the car has driven on the highway for at least five minutes, and then it starts as a low high-pitched whine, which gradually gets louder. If I apply the brakes it immediately stops, but comes back as soon as I release the brakes. If I turn to the right (but not left) it goes away, and returns when I straighten up. The noise is not engine speed dependent, nor is it vehicle speed dependent. The noise is loudest when I slow down to stop. If I stop at traffic lights it comes back as soon as I start again, but if I park for 20 minutes it goes away and takes time to recur. If I apply the handbrake the noise does not go away.

The service center say there is plenty of brake pad left, and the noise is just from the pads. It seems too loud to be just noisy pads, but I am no expert.

It seems as though something is working loose and then rubbing against the disk. There is light scoring on the left rear disk, but the service center say it is rust, but I never saw rust form in a perfect circle before.

I have changed the oil in the diff just in case it is diff-related, but no luck.

Does anybody have any ideas about what this could be?

Chris
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I had a similar noise on my 02V when the brakes heated up. Applying them stopped the noise. My dealer diagnosed it as corrosion on the rear brake calipers. They performed TSB 04-006A which basically cleans and lubes the rear calipers. This stopped the noise.

TSB 004-06A is on All Data.com.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1077264000000_1078214400000_04-006/40061.html
  • tuppencetuppence Member Posts: 2
    That sounds promising - the outside of the calipers is corroded. When I pointed this out the workshop just said it was normal (lots of salt on the roads round here). Thanks.
    Yeah, I had the same. Thanks to RichK, I knew what it was. My right rear outer pad completley wore out. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the pads and lubed up the sliders for free.
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I have an '02 CRV and find that I am having to disassemble the brakes to clean/lube the slides to keep the pads from sticking and burning the rotors. How often do I need to do this? I seem to be doing this about every 10,000 miles or at least once a year. Is there a product on the market which will prevent the problem? This last go-around I went as far as replacing all the shims and sanding the corrosion off of the caliper mounting brackets. I am currently trying Permatex synthetic brake grease to see if that helps. :confuse:
    I have an '02 CRV and find that I am having to disassemble the brakes to clean/lube the slides to keep the pads from sticking and burning the rotors. How often do I need to do this? I seem to be doing this about every 10,000 miles or at least once a year. Is there a product on the market which will prevent the problem? This last go-around I went as far as replacing all the shims and sanding the corrosion off of the caliper mounting brackets. I am currently trying Permatex synthetic brake grease to see if that helps.

I did not see that as part of scheduled maintnance, but the dealer suggested doing it once a year. They use Molykote-77, which is what Honda specifies in the repair manual as well.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I know this post is a little late arriving, but I thought I would reply any way. I have a 1998 EX CR-V that has never been to the dealer for anything mechanically wrong. I still have the original brake shoes on the rear and changed the front brake pads once. I use it as a toad for my Motorhome and I have never had a break down yet, in fact it is so reliable that it is boring, a little utilitarian but a great all around SUV.

Dan
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    New to this CRV - I hang out on the Toyota & Mazda sites.
    Purchased an '04 CRV for my 17 year old, 14K miles (driven by a little old lady on Sundays - to the drag races... :))
    The Bridgestone tire sticker says ~26PSI - is that right? It looks like I have four flat tires!
    Neat car - when my son lets me drive it...