Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    0-60 in 7 seconds flat? Have you read a test that produced that time? Where and when?
  • Options
    tylerwm94tylerwm94 Member Posts: 26
    For those of you that have taken advantage of this, what interest rates have you been getting?
  • Options
    mnbob70mnbob70 Member Posts: 14
    If you search you can find articles that say Hyundai claims 0-60 in 7.5s.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Car & Driver reported 7.0 seconds 0-60 in their review.
  • Options
    I've scanned through all the posts and can't find anyone who has jumped for the current lease deal on the GLS, $199 a month for 36 months. Does anyone know more about that deal, e.g. residual value, equipment on the car (I assume it's an I4 with no options), security deposit, miles per year, etc. That lease is attractive to me if I could get it with 0 down (I have excellent credit), even if the payment is higher. Thanks.
  • Options
    prodelaprodela Member Posts: 5
    5.25% is my rate for 60mos.

I got the Honda trade $1000 credit but they didn't offer the $1000 rebate for the HMFC - Can i still get it if i call HMFC directly? That would be fantastic. :)
  • Options
    janeencjaneenc Member Posts: 29
    I did a lease deal on an LX with no money down.36 months the residual is less than 10K. 329.00 a month with tax included.15000 miles a year.
  • Options
    iggy2iggy2 Member Posts: 3
    Last week I bought a beautiful silver GLS l4 in Cleveland for $17.5K + tax and title. The price includes a $1000 competitive car rebate. The above price included a $500 advertising fee which the dealers in this area pay (the salesman showed me the actual invoice since I questioned him about the validity of the charge). I think its a great price for a top of the line vehicle. I have been driving a 1996 Nissan Altima for which I paid $16.5K in 1995!!!!
  • Options
    doom5doom5 Member Posts: 4
    What kind of interest rate can I expect with a 825 credit rating from HMFC with the rebate? We were offered 19661 after some painful negotiations, and the HMFC and competitive rebate for the Sonata LX. They didn't tell us what our interest rate would be though, and we're supposed to finalize everything/pick up the car tomorrow. Will they offer a competitive rate or a rip off one due to the rebate?
  • Options
    blackphoenix56blackphoenix56 Member Posts: 5
    Backy is right, Car and Driver reported 7 flat. Here is the article. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9741&page_number=1
    The only problem I'm having with the car is programming that homelink thing to open the garage opener. But I think I'm just technologically stupid. Can't wait to take it to school. Anyone know the 0-60 times for a 05 Ford Mustang and an 02 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS? I'm pretty sure that those are the main competitors for speeds at my school. Though I'm sure you'll agree that for the price you get a hell of a lot more car in the Hyundai. And it looks so damn sexy!
  • Options
    janeencjaneenc Member Posts: 29
    Just curious :confuse: Did you buy the Sonata to race your school friends?All I'm saying is...BUCKLE UP!!!!!
  • Options
    mvespermvesper Member Posts: 3
    Greetings from NJ...
    I was just at a local Hyundai dealership and they had a loaded 2006 Sonata LX on the lot. The "finance mgr" had driven it about 5K miles already. Sticker was $24,500. Based on what I've read I could probably get one new for between $23,400 and $24,100. What kind of discount should I get for the 5K miles??? Ideas? Suggestions? I appreciate any insight. Thanks
  • Options
    wood1376wood1376 Member Posts: 3
    I picked up 06' Sonata GL yesterday in Riverside, CA. Price: $17800 (incl dest) + Tax and License = $19480. I received $1000 HMFC rebate and $1000 rebate for owning a Honda civic. Out the door for $17,480. The finance rate was 5.25%
  • Options
    sjbsjb Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not, please feel free to delete this post...

I've been lurking around these boards absorbing all I can about the 2006 Sonatas. Hubby and I have decided that we need a new car, and after lots of homework and test driving, we've decided on the 2006 Sonata.

We'll qualify for the 1k loyalty rebate (since we own a 2001 Sonata) and also the 1k financing rebate. The best internet quote I've gotten so far is $20,320 out the door for a GLS V6.

What do you guys think? Is that a good price?
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    It seems that except for the financing & competetive rebates there are no discounts for the new sonata. Should I expect a discount for paying cash?
  • Options
    rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    I have a feeling additionally tempting enticements are on the way - and sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    It seems it depends upon where you live. If you look at my post above you will see that I paid under invoice. I think this is because the Hyundai is not selling well here in so-cal. I have yet to see one on the road. I also think people are more interested in the V6 models (I got the GL auto 4 cyl).

I don't think cash will make much difference. Dealer gets paid whether you finance or pay with green.
  • Options
    rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "I think this is because the Hyundai is not selling well here in so-cal."

Agree. I've seen exactly two 2006 Sonatas in the Inland Empire area. One of those had "mfgr" plates on it and a stubby antenna affixed to the roof sheetmetal with a suction cup. One was out with temporary tags (meaning it had been sold and was awaiting its permanent metal plates). For whatever reason the new Sonatas haven't caught the California buying public's eye so far - least ways where I live.
  • Options
    perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    What docs did they need for the competitor owner rebate? Your registration? I'm not trading in my Mazda Protege, so I wondered what'd I need to show to get that rebate. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mnbob70mnbob70 Member Posts: 14
    My previous car was a Saturn coupe that didn't qualify for the competitive rebate but I overheard my salesman tell another that you need to show them the title.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    You need a current registration card or the title showing your name and address and the VIN # of the competitive car.
  • Options
    Discounts can be had, shop around. At least one dealer in my area is offering about $1000 off on the Sonata GL automatic, before rebates.
  • Options
    mamb1979mamb1979 Member Posts: 12
    I'm in the Boston area as well... Any chance you would post the dealership name? 18,100 for the V6 sounds great! Plus I could use the student discount on top of it all.
  • Options
    Just needed to show the current years registration. I did not trade my car in, sold it private party and just brought in copy of the registration.
  • Options
    theman6969theman6969 Member Posts: 9
    BillDube Huyndai in Wilmington.
    2006 GLS V6 was 19995 + doc fees = about 20,100 (included destination of $600)
    Finance rebate 1000
    competitive rebate 1000
    total: 18,100 + Tax, title, etc...
  • Options
    sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    I concluded the deal with the Brooklyn Hyundai dealer. I cancelled the order.

What I thought was a good quote of $20651 was a lie. This quote included the 2 $1000 rebates so that the original selling price was $22641. In addition, there was a preprinted line for window etching for $199. A blatant rip-off, in NYC the police department does this free. How about this: NY State waste tire fee $12.50. Does any one know what this is?

It was a lousy experience and nothing in the auto business has changed in 50 years. No one can win the price game with vultures. So beware.

I am going to try the fax method as advertised on www.fightingchance.com. I don't ever want to deal with a car salesman again. To get down to their level you would have to scrape the gutter.
  • Options
    www.fightingchance.com.

Anyone know about getting quotes by faxing? Does it work?

Strange, how quotes for the same car are never the same. Every dealer has their tricks to extort more money from you. On a deal I just cancelled in NYC, one of the line items was "Window Etching-$199." Another was plastic door edge guards-$115. Dealers sure are creative.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    It seems you forgot to mention the $34.95 for the package.!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    teasheateashea Member Posts: 18
    $21,600.

TEAShea
  • Options
    Is that price of $21600 before or after the rebates? Where are you located?

Which option package?
  • Options
    teasheateashea Member Posts: 18
    LX with option package after rebates.

TEAShea
    Nebraska
  • Options
    doom5doom5 Member Posts: 4
    I had success with faxes. I ended up helping my mom get a 2006 LX for 19661 after rebates. First I showed them the cheapest price I got from another further away dealer, had them give me a figure, then we worked out the rebates.
  • Options
    kli5908kli5908 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that the competitive rebate only applies to the list of cars there were bought in '04 or '05, and you already received an invitation from Hyundai in the mail? (That was what the car salesman told me on the phone today).
  • Options
    skyburn1skyburn1 Member Posts: 7
    No, that is total BS, and the salesman who told you that is either truly an idiot, or s/he is an absolute liar. In either case, you should report him/her to the management and/or send a letter to Hyundai USA detailing the spewage from that person.

The list of competetive owner-approved cars is in this post:

skyburn1, "Hyundai Sonata: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #482, 4 Aug 2005 12:37 am

and there are no "model year" strings attached, and you certainly did not have to be "invited" to join in on the fun. Anyone who owns one of the cars on that list, regardless of the year of the car should qualify. Just bring in your current vehicle registration for that vechicle showing the Make/Model and the VIN -- the dealership can approve the rebate based on the information on your registration.

Good luck, and ditch that dealership (or at least that salesperson).
  • Options
    sonataowner1sonataowner1 Member Posts: 9
    I felt in love with this car when I test drove it.

So three weeks ago, I bought my 2006 Sonata LX base ....basically just no sunroof and 6 disc CD changer for $18,999 + tax and doc fee after rebate ($2,000). I will finance the car at 5.9% for 48 months.
  • Options
    tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Hi. I know it varies by individual, but what kind of interest rates are people getting for five years when financing through HMFC to get the $1000 bonus cash? I have good credit and am wondering what rates you all have been getting.

I also just got an email from Hyundai USA Marketing offering a $50 gift card if I test drive a 2006 Sonata. I have already test driven one twice but will go back tomorrow for another drive.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Tidalwave, sounds like you've been bitten by a bug and have a big itch that you'll have to scratch with an '06 Sonata. lol.

Just remember the 6 cyl won't give near as good gas milage as you're getting in your Elantra. But weigh that against the comfort, ride, features, quiteness of the Sonata and your annual milage. If you drive 25K miles per year vs 12K miles per year the additional gas could be significant for you. My '05 Sonata is only 4 months old and I wouldn't consider trading for an '06 (due to economic reasons) no matter how nice the '06 is.

The '05 is still a great car, even though the '06 is improved.
  • Options
    tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Yes. I am smitten with the new model's looks but wasn't so keen on the test drive. I think the last one I test drove had overinflated tires. It was literally skating down the road. I am going to give it one more shot and get myself a gift card in the process. I will try to go at it with an open mind. I now consider this almost a matter of destiny since I got the email. I was thinking about taking one last test drive and then the offer came. Hmmmm. Fate? I don't know, but it seems inevitable that I end up with one. If the dealer takes care of me, that is. They have been great in the past. I shall see.
  • Options
    bigd5bigd5 Member Posts: 3
    I'm from the Pittsburgh, PA area and want to know what areas are NOT charging the extra $500 advertising fee..... It seems all dealers in this area are charging it.
    I'm quoted a price $300 over invoice. (invoice on edmunds doesn't show $500 fee)
    so quoted price is $800 over edmunds price. Anybody have luck in getting dealer to go lower???

Thanks, Darryl
  • Options
    The tihing to focus on is the out the door price. The advertising fee does not affect the MSRP. This seems to be another way for dealers to inflate their cost to buy from the factory while they willing show you the so-called invoice price. That's all BS.

Where else do you go to buy something and have the store add on an advertising fee? "Hamburger @ $1.89 a pound. Go to check out and there's an etra $.75 for advertising." I don't think so.

I found that the Edmund's TMV price is accurate and fair to both buyer & seller. I did a little better than TMV on an '05 in April and the dealer still made money. No BS, no circus show, just a nice clean deal. Salesman explained that he gets a performance bonus for treating customers well. That may have induced him to take a little less up front in order to get more back based on voulume and customer satisfaction.
  • Options
    bigd5bigd5 Member Posts: 3
    SONATAOWNER1,

In what state were you able to do this deal... Is this a straight up deal or did this include trade in?? Price sounds really good for 2006 lx.

Thanks, Darryl
  • Options
    ajinazajinaz Member Posts: 1
    With Conv package 3. Arizona. After rebates 20,883. Before TT&L.
    Dealer invoice 22,839-1000 Fin-1000 comp - college 400+ dealer special 50 gallons of gas at thier pumps. 3 hours at the dealer working the deal. I just tired out and I think we both made out a bit so...Took a while to get rid of the advertising fee.
  • Options
    sonataowner1sonataowner1 Member Posts: 9
    Patrick Hyundai...Northwest suburbs of Chicago. My financing actually was 6.25% for 48 months. I made a mistake. No penalty on prepayment if I want to pay it off early.
  • Options
    calhoun213calhoun213 Member Posts: 10
    Checked a couple of dealers in St. Louis. They are adding high profit items like paint and interior protection and a $1500 market adjustment. Reminds of the old Honda days. I haven't done any serious dealing yet but if they refuse to drop the market adjustment they can find another buyer. Still trying to decide on the 4 cyl versus the 6 cyl with the gas prices.
  • Options
    Don't be afraid to look out of your area. Local dealers will service cars bought elsewhere.

RE: 4 vs 6 cyl. Base your consideration, in part, on how many miles you drive per year. To be very conservative divide that number by the city EPA rating to estimate how many gallons per year you will need. Assuming you drive 20% or more "highway" you'll average at least the city EPA rating. Then say, God forbid, gasoline averages $3 a gallon, multiple the gallons by $3. That will give you a reasonable idea of how much more you'll spend on gas with the 6 cyl.

My '05 6 cyl--I know it's a different engine--averages 18 +/- and is rated 19 MPG. Typically I drive 120 to 125 miles per week and average about 6 trips (start the car) per day, so you can see that with very short haul driving, I'm getting close to EPA rating with entirely local driving. When I add 20-30 highway miles it makes a difference of about 1 mpg. This is in Connecticut, with hilly roads. My last .7 miles home are up hill with a good 200 ft elevation change and 2 complete "S" curves at a 25 MPH speed limit.
  • Options
    gordyramgordyram Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a new 2005 Sonata GL (4cyl, automatic). The 2006 was nice but not worth the extra $ to me. I got the tried and true 2005 for $12,720. plus tax (5%) and title/tag fees and $100. doc fee. I thought it was a heck of a deal.

They quoted me a finance rate of 5.5% and I have exc. credit. I wasn't financing that much so I opted for the rebate and I also got the owner loyalty. I financed through my credit union at 5% (home equity loan).

I found the rebates and specials on the Hyundai web site.
  • Options
    Smart move using the home equity for the financing. Not only is the rate a litle lower than the car loan rate but the interest should be tax deductible.

Work out an amortization table for your desired number of payments and stick to it, just as you would a car loan. In fact, you can run an amortization @ 5.5% and pay on that basis. This will pay down your loan quicker and save interest costs over the life of the note.
  • Options
    jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    Just bought 06 Sonata LX with package 3.
    The dealer gave it to me for -400 invoice
    with 1000 owner loyalty rebate & 3200 traid-in (01 Elantra w/ 80000 miles)
    & 400 college rebate

Ended up 19000 OTD
  • Options
    stealth6stealth6 Member Posts: 13
    Don't buy from the dealer on Lemay Ferry at Lindberg. They are very unprofessional and don't seem to care a wit about you after you sign on the dotted line. Go anywhere but there!
  • Options
    dongliudongliu Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    I saw that gordyram at #560 bought a 4 cyl Sonata for about $13K. This week in Boston, an expensive city for everything, Toyota Camry is advertised at around $14K by multiple dealers. Also, Hyundai dealers stopped doing advertising on Boston local newspapers, so I have no idea what the local pricing for Hyundai is.
    My question is: Is hyundai still competitive?

My personal opinion is that rise of Hyundai is the most significant event in this decade in auto industry, as well as the rise of Samsung and LG in semi-conductor and electronic areas. Toyota is not a nice company. It lowered the price mostly due to competition from Hyundai. Will Hyundai accepts the challenge and stay competitive? Or will Hyundai just feel comfortable being a niche player while maintaining high profit margin?