Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• afwunafwun Member Posts: 2
    After months of research and anticipation, I put the challenge out there for several dealers to sell me the Hyundai Sonata LX fully loaded for $22,000. It was extremely difficult to get any takers, especially since there were no rebates or incentives for the car. I told them all that I would wait if I had to and actually thought I'd be waiting several months to get the deal that I wanted. Amazingly, I had a dealer in Fredericksburg, VA (Steve Medley of Pohanka for those that are interested) offer a selling price of 22,369 (not including freight, tags, etc). I was able to get the vehicle out the door for just under $24,000. I purchased the vehicle at the beginning of July and found out after the fact that Hyundai renewed their military discount ($500) July 1. Now I have another $500 coming back to me from Hyudai, so all in all, the vehicle cost me around $23,500. Not bad for a fresh into the market, no incentive/rebate, 2006 top of the line Hyundai Sonata. The only down side is that I wanted the Steel Gray and the only model they had on the lot didn't have the sunroof or CD changer. I said I could live without the CD changer, but had to have the sunroof. They agreed to have it custom installed and it actually appears to be nicer than the factory installed model. After owning the car for almost a full month now, I couldn't be happier. It is everything the experts say and more! It drives like a dream and has all of the creature comforts you could ask for on a car of this size and price range. I never thought I'd be driving a Hyudai, but this Sonata has changed my mind and I would reccomend it over a Honda or Toyota anyday; if for no other reason than for spite. It's time those two companies receive a run for their money and Hyudai deserves a look. If you're in the market for a new car, swallow your pride and give the Sonata a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.This is by far the best car that I've ever owned!!
  • timnielsentimnielsen Member Posts: 26
    I'm about to buy an LX with package 3, in Minnesota.

Wondering what people have paid, excluding tax, title, etc. Just the actual price of the vehicle, including any ad fees. Out here in CA, dealers are asking $500 to $1000 OVER msrp, and don't seem to be budging too much. There are very few LX / package 3 to be found out here, and WAY too many 4 cylinders (which dealers are selling for $500 under invoice to try and get rid of).

Any of your experiences would be appreciated, so I know where I stand to start the bargaining.

Tim
  • afwunafwun Member Posts: 2
    Tim, I'm not sure how you've gone about working with dealerships, but the way that I found most effective was to do all of my correspondence via email and telephone until the final deal. I didn't even walk into the dealership until I knew what I was going to pay. There are a lot of web sites out there that will contact dealerships for you to get the ball rolling. I was dealing with five or six dealerships at one point. One other advantage to working with dealerships online is that you will be working with internet sales managers that are not on direct commission and can work the pricing better with the sales managers.The important thing is to be patient. If you don't Need a car right now, wait. Eventually, they will get more models in and will lower prices. Many dealerships aren't lowering the prices right now, because they don't have to. You may also have to be willing to travel a little. The dealership I ended up buying my Sonata LX from was over an hour away, even though there is a Hyundai dealer less than 20 minutes from my house and another less than 40 minutes away. I actually went into another state to purchase mine. Anyway, there is no reason for anyone to pay MSRP or more on any vehicle! There are too many choices out there and way to much competition. Remember, they need you more than you need them. Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you.
    Sean......
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    My wife and I stopped in at our local Hyundai dealership on Friday night. I had driven two of their cars about 5 weeks ago, and wanted my wife to see the car and drive it as well. She LOVED it. They didn't have the color we wanted which is the dark cinnimon. The car we drove was a silver that they've had on the lot for 2 months now. The 06's haven't been moving off their lot too well. Anyway... the dealership did a trade-in appraisal on my 2000 Chevy Malibu. When the salesman presented us the figures, he was only going to give me $1500 for my in excellent condition Malibu. He also didn't give me any break at all on the MSRP. The salesman kept saying "what can I do to see you drive away tonight in this Sonata?". The Kelley Blue Book had quoted $4200 for my 00 Malibu, Edmunds Appraiser says $4310, and I was looking for 500 to 1000 off the MSRP. After 'arguing' back-n-forth about the trade-in allowance and no break on the price, we walked out. During our discussion the salesman rolled his eyes a lot at me and then he made a 'smart remark' to my wife as we walked out the door. The search goes on.
  • janeencjaneenc Member Posts: 29
    Really hate to hear about your experience. Have you checked around in your area to see if anyone else has a better offer? Did you call the mgr. today to tell them that you would like to do business with them and keep it local, but with the way they are handling things that it would be unlikely?You might also like to add what people on this site are getting elsewhere. My husband and I got an awesome deal, fortunately we own a local business and the owners of the dealership visit our establishment frequently. We also have told many others about their dealership and got at least 5 other people to buy from them. So we get treated well. However, they give really great offers to everyone so I hate it when I hear that other places do treat the prospective buyers with such little respect. Hope you find what your looking for!!
  • striker4striker4 Member Posts: 2
    Several previous posts regarding a 2006 LX w/option 3 said the invoice price was $22,339 and that the dealer tried to ad a $500 advertising fee. Edmunds has listed for this car a $22,839 invoice cost. Am I to assume the Edmunds price has the $500 fee added in? A dealer I am dealing with says his invoice price is $22,839 and he wants to tack on an additional $425 advertising fee he says Hyundai makes him pay. I'm a little confused. Does the Edmunds price include or exclude any mandatory advertising fees from the manufacturer?
  • frank49frank49 Member Posts: 1
    I think I just got a pretty good deal on an aquamarine GLS V-6. They did have the $500 ad fee, but I still only paid $20,245. I also got them to throw in the mudguards for free. How did I do?
  • supliisuplii Member Posts: 8
    I've been in contact with approx. 8 dealers in NJ, PA and DE since I test drove the 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX on June 2,2006. I really liked the car and wanted to order one. I was informed that Hyundai does not allow this process to occur. I was assured that the "Powder White Pearl" w/Beige Leather interior and Pkg 3 would arrive by July 4th. I am still waiting.
    NO ONE seems to have or is able to locate the 2006 WHITE LX. I can not get answers on why it is so difficult to purchase this combo. Does anyone know if there is a Paint problem and if yes details would be appreciated, along with dates as to when this combo will become available. This would be my 1st Hyundai, and if I don't hear something soon I make opt for another maker. Thank You
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The problem is that they make certain colors at certain times. When we get our shipments, there are usually only two or three different colors at a time. When they start shipping the white ones, everybody will have them.
  • ausboyausboy Member Posts: 15
    I'm on the Gold Coast, Australia and got $2850 AUD or $2171 USD off the price of the 05 Sonata Elite ( ' 06 LX all options minus sunroof ) last week. That was without haggling - the manager agreed immediately. The Sonata was released here three weeks ago.

I test drove the Honda Euro Accord ( Acura TSX ) and considered that to be a marginally better drive, but certainly not worth the $8K AUD difference.

I'm a very happy Aussie indeed!
    For August the loyalty rebate has increased to $1,000. There is also a competitive owner rebate of $1,000 which includes most mid size and compact cars. They cannot be combined. Also some good leases are going on now.
    I currently own a Infiniti, how does the competitive owner rebate work? Is it on a trade or just proof that you own another mid sized vehicle?
    Are there any good leases for the LX planned. I've seen one advertised for 199.00 for 36 or 39 months, but that was on a GLS.
    I've been to the Hyundai site and did not read anything today.
    I guess Hyundai doesn't consider Infiniti competition, because that is not one of the cars listed. There is a lease on the LX this month. With just first payment and plates up front, it should work out to about $350/month plus tax for 36 months.
    I just spoke to Hyundai USA Customer Service and have been advised that they have encountered some difficulty in the 3 step paint process for the 2006 Sonata White LX's.
    She stated that they are going to make them, but date unknown. Could be 1 week to several months away. Can anyone shed more light on this crisis. I really want to purchase one, but really don't want to hold off till Nov. or Dec. Please advise..... Thanks
    Where do I view the list??? I also own a Olds
    If its an Alero it will work for you. No need to trade, just prove that you own it.
  • jdubble22jdubble22 Member Posts: 4
    Enricong, was your GL automatic or manual? Can you indicate the dealership that you used? I am attempting to purchase my mother a GL w/ AT in the Columbus, OH area and I wanted to be able to contact your dealer in case they don't want to negotiate with me.
  • skyburn1skyburn1 Member Posts: 7
    So, I had a dealer tell me this:

If you finance through HMFC (can payoff no penalties w/in 3 months), there's $1K rebate.

If you are a current owner of one of these vehicles, another $1K on competetive owner rebate:

Chevrolet Cavalier
    Honda Accord
    Nissan Altima
    Subaru Impreza
    Chevrolet Cobalt
    Honda Civic
    Nissan Sentra
    Subaru Legacy
    Chevrolet Malibu
    Mazda 3
    Oldsmobile Alero
    Toyota Camry
    Chrysler Sebring
    Mazda 6
    Pontiac G6
    Toyota Corolla
    Dodge Neon
    Mazda Protégé
    Pontiac Grand Am
    VW Jetta
    Dodge Stratus
    Mercury Sable
    Pontiac Grand Prix
    VW Passat
    Ford Focus
    Mitsubishi Galant
    Pontiac Sunfire
    Ford Taurus
    Mitsubishi Lancer
    Saturn Ion

Good luck!
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    On the other 2006 Sonata board:

#1680 of 1680 Re: Rebates on the upswing [backy] by averigejoe Aug 04, 2005 (4:34 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: backy (Aug 03, 2005 11:26 am)

Decisions, decisions. There is plenty of competition within the Hyundai line alone. Here's a post from the XG350 board which illustrates the point:

#1791 of 1791 Re: XG350L Bargain price $7856 off MSRP [blackrussian] by averigejoe Aug 04, 2005 (4:13 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: blackrussian (Feb 11, 2005 9:25 am)

Nothing was rotten in Denmark.
    The actual deal in January 2005 worked out even better than the advertised price of $18999 for a new 2005 XG350L which had a $26594 MSRP.
    But, that was then, this is now. How much are these cars selling for now? Are there any even left for sale?
    If so, the new 2006 Sonata in GLS or LX trim might be selling for considerably higher prices than the '05 XG350L.
    How about you buyers now? Which is more attractive for your $$ ? A new 2006 Sonata or a new 2005 XG350 ? Which would you pay more for?
    Or are you waiting for the new Azera?

Also see #1790 on XG board.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    You typed: what difference should it make if you are going 55 or 70 as long as the engine is running under 4000 RPM?

The difference is the load on the engine, the actual amount of work you are demanding of it.
    Drag and wind resistance is much greater at higher speeds. A parked car with the motor rpm at 4000 is not demanding much from the engine... only needing to overcome the mechanical resistance of the internal engine parts alone. But, put it in drive down a freeway or up a hill at 4000 rpm and the stress imposed on that motor varies widely.
    It's probably better to go by the book, whatever it says, if anything. Some cars have no published break-in requirements.
    Good luck.
    On Friday, Aug. 5, I purchased a White '06 Sonata GL with mats and wheel locks from Twin City Hyundai located in Knoxville, TN. Here is the breakdown:

Purchase Price: $17,523 (includes delivery charges)
    Trade-In: $ 2,800 (1998 Plymouth Neon Highline, 93,000 miles)
    Doc & Other Fees: 399
    Etching: 299
    State Tax: 1,080
    Local Taxes: 125

Net Price: $16,646
    Rebate: 1,000 (Competitive Owner Rebate)
    Cash Payment $15,646

Please note that, normally, I would not have agreed to pay the $399 Doc Fees and $299 Etching fees, but they gave me $2800 for my mother's car (which had a NADA value of about $1200). So I took the deal and ran. Hope that this helps.

Lastly, I live in Columbus, OH and I tried three dealers here in town. They would not come close to the pricing on the trade-in. So they lost the chance to compete for the business.
    Congratulations. It looks like somebody was drinking a bit when they appraised your trade in.
    I read your profile and saw that you also have a new Caddy. Also that you work with many,many other autos in your line of work. So, forgive me but I am curious who the new Sonata is for? Since you are exposed to a lot of other autos what do you think makes Hyundai stand out? I am always interested in the opinion of someone who is around the auto industry daily. :D
  • theman6969theman6969 Member Posts: 9
    I've been offered the following in the Boston area - is this a good price?

2006 Sonata GLS V6
    Price (including destination): $19,795
    Total fees (documentation, etc...) : $259.99

Total cost: $20,054.99 from the dealership
    Tax, title, registration: extra

Thanks.
    The sale price is about a break even deal for them. They are well below invoice. Does that price include any of the rebates or bonus cash?
    No, the rebates are seperate. I would qualify for both the Finance rebate ($1000) and the competitive vehicle ($1000) rebate as well. So my OTD price would be the above price minus $2000 in rebates plus (tax, title, registration).
    Thanks.
  • dtp1dtp1 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone report recent Out The Door pricing for an 06 Sonota LX with Pack 3? Thanks
  • blackphoenix56blackphoenix56 Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds is saying for a Sonata LX with package 3, TMV is $24, 150. But I thought I should only be paying about $600 above invoice. Shouldn't that be $23, 439? Now I'm also wondering if that is the price before or after the $2000-$3000 rebate. What I mean is should I go back and forth over price to try to get to $23K and then ask for rebates? Thanks for the help. As well whats the difference between the GLS V6 and the LX?
  • mkv1mkv1 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone out there have a GLS V-6 opt. 5? If so how much were you able to get it OTD for? Im hoping to get it 19,000 OTD after 1000 trade in, 1400 rebates and much hagglin of course. Do-able?
  • mkv1mkv1 Member Posts: 14
    Sorry, I messed up previous post. I meant to say all of the above except a 2000 trade in. So that would be 2000 trade 1400 rebates (my dealer is offering 1000 HMFC plus 400 for recent grads with jobs. so if i can negotiate to 22,400 Im right where i want to be. What do you think?
    Thanks
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Just make sure the $22,400 is BEFORE the incentives and the dealer agrees the price is actually $19,000 AFTER rebates. Many states (if not most) charge sales tax on the pre-rebate price. So watch your numbers carefully and get them in writing before signing a purchase contract. Good luck.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    danf1,
    Do you think I can get a LX with sunroof & upgraded stereo for about 21,200 + ttl? According to the Hyundai website the car is 24,295 with out destination. I figure that after the 2k rebates and 400 college grade discount I should be able to get a little more off if I am willing to cut the deal on the spot...
    If you qualified for all of the rebates, 21,200 would be about $200 over invoice. You should be able to do that at a motivated dealership.
  • coolwindcoolwind Member Posts: 4
    I live in Maryland. I recieved the following quote for the 2006 Sonata GLS V6 (basic trim without any options):

Price: $19562
    Tax: $983
    Tags et al: $202
    Processing fee: $99
    Incentives: -$2000

Out of Door price: $18846.

Do you feel it a fair price?

Thank you very much for your inputs.
    For those wondering about "what is a good price", I suggest looking at Edmunds' TMV...also Cars Direct.

My purchase in April, of an '05 Sonata, was a few bucks less than Edmund's TMV at the time. After the $1500 rebate (shown in the TMV) the price of the car was about $1800 under invoice including the dealer conveyance fee. This was from O'Brien Hyundai in Naples, FL. Local dealer in CT wanted invoice + $550 + $500 advertising charge + $398.50 conveyance fee less rebate. Bottom line, FL purchase saved about $1750 compared to CT + about $105 sales tax savings on the pre-rebate tax. FL & CT both have 6% tax and both charge tax on pre-rebate price.

Maybe some can do better than TMV, but TMV is fair to buyer and still allows the dealer to make a buck. If the dealership doesn't make money, it won't be around when you need it.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    They tax you before incentives/rebates are taken into account?
    In FL & CT the sales tax IS charged on the pre-rebate price. I don't know how many states do it this way. It seems like a rip off, but to be expected when paying taxes to your friendly government.
    janeenc, you must have seen someone else's profile (as I just loaded mine onto the system). I am an attorney (don't have any auto skills other than changing oil and buying gas). I also have a 1991 Nissan Maxima (w/ no payments for the past 8 years:) But to answer your question, I purchased the car for my mother (who just turned 60). I wanted her to have a mid-size sedan with respectable gas mileage, good safety features, and a warranty that would last her until she retires at 65. The offer that the dealer gave me I couldn't refuse. Plus she has never had a brand new car - she deserves it:)
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    Dan,
    Did the deal on Friday.. 21,970 + tax title and Lic. is what I got the car for. It's the LX with package 3.
    Your right it should have been to danf1. Sorry :blush: Anyway... you have one lucky Mom!!! ;)
  • mnbob70mnbob70 Member Posts: 14
    23,500 + TTL (before any rebates)

Dealer participates in the Hyundai advertising and thus has the $500 fee on their invoice ($23,339).
  • autodreamerautodreamer Member Posts: 1
    I can't find anything on edmunds or the Hyundai USA website that show a competitive vehicle rebate. All they show is the financing rebate. Has one of the rebates expired or is it not offered in all areas?
    The competitive rebate is available. Just ask your dealer for the list. Someone posted the list in a previous message.
    The competitive rebate started early this month the runs until 9/30/05. On the hyundaiusa.com site, click on special offers. The competitive rebate applies only to the '06 Sonata and is shown in the last column on the right side.

Someone posted a while ago the Edmunds only shows rebates that are available to every one; no owner loyalty, military, college grad or competitive. Anyone who qualifies for targeted rebates should deduct the amount of the rebate from the TMV.
    In the Boston area I did the following last weekend:

Sonata GLS V6 (including destination): $20,100
    Finance rebate: 1000
    Competitive rebate: 1000

Car price (including destination) = $18,100
  • blackphoenix56blackphoenix56 Member Posts: 5
    We just bought a Sonata LX, with package 3, in silver for $21,049.29. We bought from a Hyundai dealer in the Chicago area. We didn't have a trade-in, but we did finance and had the competitive rebate, so there was $2000 in rebates. The price above includes tax, new plates, and all the other stuff. The car is great. I'm 17 and the only thing that keeps me from really pushing the car is the knowledge that I might screw it up. Right when the odometer rolls to 1200 I'm taking it out and having a blast with it. 0-60 in 7 flat!
    If that price is correct then it is amazing. Web lists Illinois sales tax at 6.25%. Even assuming the tax is applied after rebate and not counting title and licensing that means the car price came in around $21,735 which is over $1000 below the non-advertising included invoice price (22,839).
  • sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    I'm pricing the Sonata LX with no options in the NYC area. These are the 3 quotes I'm working with:

$21145
    $21100
    $20651

I purchased the lowest quote and am financing for the $1000 rebate. Plus I'm supposed to get a $1000 rebate for owning a Toyota Camry. I'm to pick up the car this Saturday.

This deal is iffy. All I have is the receipt for $2000 charged on my credit card. Every time I asked the salesman a question he kept saying don't worry about it.

I asked what the loan rate % was, he said it will be competitive.

Out of state registration and inspection, they will take care of it (NY to VT). I don't believe this-how can a NYC dealer get Vermont license plates and Vermont car inspection.

Saturday, I'll know if the cute tricks will pop up such as destination charge ($600),
    document fee, dealer advertising fee, dealer prep fee, etc. I was told the quote they gave was what I would pay, nothing extra. We'll see (?)

As a point of comparison, Car's Direct quote for this car is $23061. Every dealer in NYC quoted lower. Car's Direct is misleading.

The Sonata LX is a good looking car and the reviews have been favorable but I have yet to see this car on the road or in the shopping mall parking lots. At the dealers I visited, it was my observation: Not too many people were shopping Hyundai. In fact several times I was the only person in the show room.

Fifty years ago shopping a new car was a garbage experience and today it's still a garbage experience. Their sales secret is intimidation. The average salesman is not good but they have their bag of tricks so the advantage is on their side.

No matter how good a price you get there is always the feeling that you got taken.

And the internet has not made buying a car any easier. No matter how many car buying websites you visit, you still have to deal with a salesman and the ensuing hassle.

Buying a car is not a pleasant experience!
  • rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    I hope it all works out for you, sligg. Dunno about New York law, but here in California, the merchant or finance company has to divulge full loan information in writing on the loan application before the borrower signs on the dotted line. I don't blame you for being suspicious - personally, if I couldn't have obtained information in writing who the finance company is, what the APR is, and whether the payoff would be subject to a penalty clause for early pay-off, I would've gotten up and walked out the door. (being an old f**t who's been burned once too many times, himself - nothing teaches like experience!)
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Don't be too sure about slamming cars direct until you definitly see what your final price will be...Sounds to me that you are already in doubt about your price...Dest. fee (everyone has to pay that,... doc fees ???...dealer prep fee?????who knows what they will charge ... seems to me you should have done all the sales form figures before offering your credit card!!!!!!