Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    an2011an2011 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal...trying to compare prices..any good dealers ...
    I was quoted OTD 24,900/- for Harbor Gray w/o NAV.... floor carpet mats, homelink etc..

Any good dealers in LA, Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, Ventura area?????
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with someone who recently traded in a Honda or Toyota for a Hyundai, Kia, Ford or Chevy. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 3, 2011 with your daytime contact information, the car models involved and a few words about your decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    azureskyazuresky Member Posts: 11
    2011 Sonata Limited Turbo with Navigation - Black
    Cargo mat, floor mats, ipod cable, bumper sticker, cargo net, mud guards, window tinting
    msrp 30,410 their final offer 28,350 (not including tax & lic)
  • Options
    stevefromozstevefromoz Member Posts: 7
    You might be able to drive them a little lower. I got my Limited w/Turbo & Nav in April for below 27k. Details my post here

I didnt get the tint upfront nor the mudflaps, but otherwise, it was the same as you've outlined. Regardless of the price, you'll definitely enjoy this car!!!

Which state are you in?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I guess there will be some more dealing going on. I really don't enjoying the car buying process.
    We found another limited turbo but it was pulling to the right quite a lot. They said it was an easy fix but I'd rather get something that needs NO fixing.
    Limited and Limited Turbo's are very scarce around here.

I'm from Southern Calif.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Limited Turbo's are among the group of new Hyundais that owners are compaining about pulling to the Left right out of the box.

Now you found one that pulls to the right!

The tester that one of the big auto mags is reviewing also pullled to the left and according to the write up, they changed the left strut and did a full wheel ballance.

Other than that, the reviews are all good.
  • Options
    pcz0925pcz0925 Member Posts: 9
    I negotiated online with Laird Noller Hyundai in the birthplace of basketball aka Lawrence, KS. I picked up a 2011 new Sonata SE 2.0T with iPod Cable (have never owned an iPOd in my life - just based on principles), Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, and Floor Mats. MSRP of $25,215 - I paid $22,660 +TTL and got the .9% 36 month financing. I know this was a great deal as the other dealers in the area were at least $500 more.
  • Options
    jnjsadjnjsad Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased 2011 Sonata GLS for $23k 'on the road'. That includes tax, title, license, scotchgaurd, rustproof, homelink mirror, and alloy wheels.
  • Options
    twomgwu17twomgwu17 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited with Navigation for 24,300 including everything except taxes at a nyc area dealer. They were defenitely car salesman-like but I felt like I got a good deal. Feel free to back channel me if you want me to send you the dealer information.
  • Options
    brianb50brianb50 Member Posts: 25
    Can you send me the dealer info, I don't know how to back channel. Thanks Brian

We are getting a price for 2011 limited w/o nav for 24,330 and I thought that was high....
  • Options
    lavelilaveli Member Posts: 12
    Hello everyone, is invoice good price to purchase one? The salesperson said invoice is about $600 below MSRP. Any help will be appreciated.

Or can anyone refer me to a good dealership in the Los Angeles area.
  • Options
    That is a great deal. I'm not getting anywhere close to that. We have decided on a Limited with nav, the best price I've found is 26,301. I live in Southern Calif. so buying is NY is not any option but thanks for the info.
  • Options
    samsamuelssamsamuels Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a New 2011 Sonata SE this past weekend in the Phoenix Area.

2011 Hyundai Sonata
    4dr Sedan 2.4L Auto SE

Colors
    EXTERIOR: PEARL WHITE
    INTERIOR: BLACK
    Options
    STANDARD PAINT
    ***NAVIGATION & SUNROOF PACKAGE 4
    CARPETED FLOOR MATS
    CARGO MAT
    CARGO NET
    AUTO-DIMMING REARVIEW MIRROR W/COMPASS & HOMELINK
    IPOD CABLE
    PEARL WHITE W/ BLACK INTERIOR
    GRAY, CLOTH SEATS W/LEATHER BOLSTER
    PEARL WHITE PAINT
    SUNROOF WIND DEFLECTOR
    TINT
    WINDOW ETCHING

We paid around $23,650 (after all incentives) plus TT&L. I feel like we got a pretty good deal considering all the options and the little bit extra for the Pearl White paint. Even though only one dealer had the color & option combination, I tried to get a few other dealers to see if they could meet or beat the price, and all said they could not and questioned if it was a real deal or just someone trying to get me in the door.

I researched for awhile and we were at the very bottom of the Truecar.com price so was able to feel comfortable that I could not get it any cheaper anywhere else near by.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in the name of the dealership/Internet manager who was able to get me a deal, and I will be more than happy to provide that info.

Thanks.
  • Options
    shakingtowersshakingtowers Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Invoice is a pretty good price, though not the best you can get. But on a Sonata, invoice is NOT $600 below MSRP. More like $1200, at least in my area (SF Bay Area).
  • Options
    alamakalamak Member Posts: 4
    Hi kooitskevin714,

sorry, i haven't check this forum. Anyways, I do not know how to use this website to send you a personal e-mail. Do you know how? Pls let me know

alamak
  • Options
    lavelilaveli Member Posts: 12
    Hello, can you tell me the dealerships name and the salespersons please.
  • Options
    major_dadmajor_dad Member Posts: 4
    Just bought hybrid. Good deal?

Base hybrid (carpet mats, ipod cable, wheel locks)
    Fairfax Hyundai

Price $26730
    fees $389
    VA tax $813
    dealer bus lic tax $54
    lic / title $63

loyalty -$500
    military -$500

total $27050
  • Options
    hs1hs1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Red sonata limited, no nav. Options : carpet floor mats, cargo net, wheel locks.

I found it really tough to find a limited in red color in my area. Could only find 2 cars in about the 10 dealerships I called.

Price: $23499
    Dealer fees:$389
    VA Tax/ Title: $812
    Total on road: $24700.

In shopping around, I felt that the dealers would have come down another $300 or so if the color had been different... but this is the one we wanted, so I was ok to pay a little more.
  • Options
    vpbvpb Member Posts: 4
    Can you help me determine the fair price for 2011 Sonata Limited - Used car with more than 10K miles?

It seems to have all the bells and whistles including Navigation.

Thanks
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I've seen some priced at $25k. Almost like buying it new
  • Options
    benjamin9876benjamin9876 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone brought or quoted 2.4 SE without Nav?
    What price you getting and from which dealer?
    Thanks
  • Options
    kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    . . in the mid-Atlantic.

A lot of NC dealers are currently sold out of hybrids; one dealership in the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Burlington) got 8 and sold ‘em all within a week. Another had 2 deposits several months before the hybrids landed and sold their 3 base hybrids in days. Apparently none are languishing on the lots for weeks like a Penn. poster referenced.

The quickie $1,000 under msrp sale out in Seattle was over in a hurry and the sales manager at the NC dealership indicated that was an unusual event for the roll out of the hybrids.
  • Options
    kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    Oddly I haven't seen any Sonata hybrid TV ads for weeks. Seemed they stopped just as hybrids started hitting the dealers in the East.
  • Options
    nottdinottdi Member Posts: 1
    I'm in socal also.....

Checked Ebay....looking at the base GLS Auto...........they can give me
    the car for 19,799.....$1346 below MSP....but it looks like dest and ad fee adds
    $750 and $211.......

Whats a rock bottom deal in SoCal for the GLS Auto base? Best dealing
    Dealership?

This Sonata is replacing a 1997 Passat TDI.............lol......
  • Options
    MSRP 28,800

Price 24,800
    Trade 20,500
    Dealer fees 249 New Jersey
    Tags 150

Owed 9300 on trade got a great price on trade.
    Very Happy with price not sure if could have gotten for less
    Actually did a few dollars less then true car price..
    We had to go to NJ because Long Island dealer are too high most wanted MSRP which is total BS, maybe for a Hybrid they can get MSRP plus....
  • Options
    bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    that price sounds ok .i want to share this with all hyundai owners,i have a 2011 hyundai se with nav,and the turbo,just thinking about trying to trade for a limited with the nav and turbo my car has 3350 miles on it they told me my car is worth 19500 on a trade that is a insalt to me,i thouht the car would hold the value better then that.i was not told the truth,o well,just do not belive it when they tell you the trade value when you buy the car.
  • Options
    woost007woost007 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am considering a lease - Sonata SE + package 4 (sunroof+NAV).

MSRP: 26445
    Price: 22500
    Down payment: 1500

36 month/12K lease 224/pm!

Is it a good lease or bad? Suggestions solicitated.
  • Options
    mdstocks2001mdstocks2001 Member Posts: 1
    So probably not the best deal reading some of these, but for your information:
    2011 Sonata SE (Pearl White, homelink, USB, floormats, cargo, no Nav or Sunroof)
    MSRP: 24,275 (includes shipping)
    My Price: 22,610 (includes 500 veteran rebate)
    Total TTL: 24,549.00

Anyway, I had a 2010 Accord for 3 days and what a piece of junk. No options, rough ride, and LOUD (returned it under Carmax 5 day return policy). What do people see in those cars??? Anyway, can't beat the value with this Sonata. The Limited ride was way too soft for me, the SE is perfect.
  • Options
    sinned1sinned1 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know the Costco price for the Sonata GLS?
    I am looking at the Sonata GLS along with the Altima and the Accord.Because of the tsunami in Japan, there`s not many Accords beign made, so the dealerships are not honoring the costco price.
    The nearest Hyundai costco dealer is about an hour away, I called them and awaiting an answer if they will quote over the phone.
  • Options
    abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    the supposed "Costco Price" varies as much as the "Walk-In Price".
    It's a scam just like the AAA price and the TrueCar price and all of those sites that merely steer you to a dealer.
    (well, scam may be a bit overstated, but .....)

If you buy a car using TrueCar or any of those similar ones, the dealer has to pay a commission to them, of about $300.
    That is, if you have consulted them any time 90 days before purchasing your new car.
    So really, you can get a BETTER deal by NOT going in there with one of these quotes (or by using a fake name & email address when you get their quotes).
  • Options
    kcmar1kcmar1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Just bought a new 2011 Sonata limited with turbo engine for $25,130 in Ft. Worth Texas. I felt like I got a great deal. Anyone agree? Or does anyone think I overpaid?
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited June 2011
    The better car buying service is AmEx/Zag where the manufacturer to dealer incentives that are not publicized are supposed to be passed on to the consumer. It works in some states better, but in Texas it doesn't work since New Car Dealers Assoc. forbids such low quotes, God forbid, it may put our new car dealers out of business!

Read old posts in another form titled "New Accord Price Paid" to get idea of what others have paid for it. The best deals are in certain parts of MD with Criswell Honda, Germantown, MD and Ourisman Honda, MD names popping up.

Hyundai also has factory to dealer incentives that vary each month on each model It was 2400 on Sonata SE in Fall 2010 and I bet it's at least 2k now. The best quote I got was from VA dealership for SE 2.4L was 20k + TTL.

Current Altima will go thru complete model change in Fall 2011 and that is when you will get killer deal on it if you can wait!
  • Options
    Not sure of GLS I was told 1200 of dealer cost in NY for a limited
  • Options
    What is MSRP for the car, seems like a good price
  • Options
    coachnorbcoachnorb Member Posts: 1
    Sounds pretty good to me. What dealer are you working with. I'm located in Georgia and everyone wants MSRP. I was reading the Hyundai website and it looks like you need to be careful of the Residual. Dn't let them burn you on the way out - you may want to purchase the car or sell it - if you have a high Residual you won't be able to sell it outright and get your down payment back.
  • Options
    Brianb50

Could you please share more information on the options included in your car?
    I am looking at a 2011 used Sonata limited with Navigation, Leather heated seats, Bluetooth, Ipod, Backup cam, Alloys etc. and want to compare against the deal you got.

Thanks.
  • Options
    VPB,

Its a Limited with Nav options Wind deflector, carpeted mats, wheel locks, cargo mat, cargo net and Ipod cable.

MSRP is 28,770 and we got it for 24,800 before dealer fee's and taxes.

We didnt go with the turbo, but the 2.4 is pretty good. Brian
  • Options
    wordnewwordnew Member Posts: 4
    Hi all. New here and on a quest, of sorts. Can anyone tell me the what the approx monthly cost should be on the above vehicle considering 12k miles, ZERO down and a 36 month term?
    MSRP around $28500. NYC area. Thank you!
  • Options
    abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    Reply to vpb:

My 2011 Ltd with ALL the options was somewhat under $24K but that was a year ago; lots of new model frenzy existed at the time but of course dealers pay a set amount to Hyundai whether there's frenzy or not.
    hope that helps.
  • Options
    Brianb.

Thanks for the info. I assume then it does not have leather heated seats.
    Also does it have bluetooth?

I just would like to do an equal comparison.

Thanks
    Bala
  • Options
    I think all Limited's come with leather and heated seats, don't all models come with Bluetooth standard. This car is only missing some accessories (mud flaps,all weather mats) it is loaded.
  • Options
    mathersonmatherson Member Posts: 41
    Picked up my Sonata SE. MSRP $23,945, paid $20,996 + tax and tags. Very fair offer on my trade in as well.
    Bernardi Hyundai in Brockton, MA.
    Very good buying experience once they realized that I wasn't a sucker.
  • Options
    philpalphilpal Member Posts: 2
    That sounds like a great price. We have been looking in Houston and we were quoted $27,200 for a limited with turbo. Which dealership did you go to?
  • Options
    philpal - for what it's worth, I went to Sterling McCall Hyundai when buying my Turbo Ltd and got it for just under 26900, so a slight saving over what you're being quoted. I had first gone to HUB on I10 (Katy) but they couldn't do the deal. PM me if you'd like the salesguys name (he was very easy to work with, actually negotiated over the phone before I even showed up).
  • Options
    philpalphilpal Member Posts: 2
    I'm not exactly sure how to send you a PM so can you PM me with the name of the salesperson at Sterling McCall? It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    seems this forum doesn't support PM's :( I've made my email visible on my profile, just click on my name in the forum then shoot me an email at that address.

steve.
  • Options
    jcaulfield01jcaulfield01 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 2011 Sonata Limited w/NAV in the MA/NH/RI area in the next few days. My first dealer experience was pretty poor (I will post more later), with the salesman implying I would have to pay sticker for the car (as well as offering me nothing on my very good trade).

Bottom line...what is a good price for this car. TrueCar has it at $25,595.00. I have seen others reporting prices between $24,300.00 and $24,800.00. This seems like a fair price range to me...anyone disagree?

Looking forward to reading what everyone has to say.
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    No one should pay sticker. Try Amex/ Zag Auto Buying Service with various zip codes and you should target 25k. If you go back to the old posts on this forum you should be able find a NE area purchaser who got a good deal.

As for trade in I would not even bring it up till the new car price has been negotiated. You will get better trade in at Car Max than at new car dealership!

Since its end of the month you will get good deal but must be patient. Never deal with salesman but contact internet/fleet sales mgr. by email and than phone if he has the car and is willing. Hyundai has factory to dealer incentives (varies each month) and you should be able to buy well below invoice!

Good luck!
  • Options
    jcaulfield01jcaulfield01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback/advice.

It has been a while since I last bought a car. I guess I was foolish to think that walking into the dealership in Framingham MA would yield me positive results. I still can't believe they actually pretend to charge MSRP. All that did was make me upset. Too bad too...I work at a large company just down the street - I could have posted nice things about them to the company intranet and maybe swayed some people to consider the Sonata. Their loss.

I have done as you suggested an contacted the internet sales managers at several local dealerships. Hopefully they will be able to price the cars in the mid 24,000 range. That is the price point where I will buy.