Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    If you don't see a change in Hyundai from 10 years ago, then any opinion you have about cars should be of no value to anyone.
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    That's a pretty harsh statement.

I am loyal Honda owner but based on Consumer Reports and anecdotal experience of family and friends I am seriously looking at buying a Sonata. BTW CR in April ranked them 4th most reliable brand name.

Intro. models always will have minor problems so its better to wait till the next year and hence I want to wait till 2012 models arrive.

Yes, I agree Hyundais gives more features but are not being discounted as much and based on past it doesn't have very high resale like Accord!
  • Options
    shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    KBB hasn't come out with their numbers on the new Sonata yet, but they are expected to be decent for residual value.

Hyundai did not sell very many relatively for rental car fleets compared to the numbers for the Camry and Accord.
  • Options
    gmanigiogmanigio Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have any great experiences and prices in NY, specifically the Long Island area?

I went to Advantage Hyundai in Hickville a few times, and I will not be going back. This specific salesman is a lier, and a fraud. He claims the dealership is the cleanest with regard to misguiding the consumer, the guy is a fraud and a fake. He talks a big game. The first day I went he gave me a price of $500 off MSRP, and a lease price he figured after I sold him the "sum" im willing to pay per month. I was testing them.

Anyway, I got a price of $26,319 + TTL, for a 2011 Sonata Limited Turbo in PEarl White. They dont have the car on the lot. That includes $374 in doc fees. First they tell me one day, they will void the doc fee, then yesterday they will split it with me, then today, BAM, I gotto pay ALL of it.

Anyone have any experience with Atlantic Hyundai in West Islip? I know they just sold the car I wanted.............. sucks

Thanks
  • Options
    wwf_undertakerwwf_undertaker Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011
    Rip off i say you can get the same car here in FL for 25k OTD(ttl included) Cocunut creek hyundai. but with no nav. If it does have Nav maybe you should go for it, Then again i heard the reverse system is crap.

I used the truecar.com system type your zip and info and maybe you can get a better quote
  • Options
    I think you are crazy if you think you can get a Limted Turbo without NAV for $25,000 with TTL. We have 8.625% tax here. And I thought Florida Hyundais are going for more?

True Car shows $24,254, $24,960 and $25,460. Over $1000 difference.

Advantage Hyundai would NOT budge on the $26,300+.

I dont really trust those TrueCar dealerships, I think they are all Bait n Switch.
  • Options
    slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2011
    Is Advantage Hyundai a truecar dealer?

Do you have any first hand experience with bait and switch from one of these truecar delaers?

We are genuinely interested if that is the case.

Otherwise, if you are just ranting, let us know. Please don't do us a disservice by crying wolf unless there is merit.

Many are using truecar as a bargaining tool. If it really is BS, we want to know.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Bought our kids Accent there and really like the dealership...will look there next year for the Elantra/Accent for the wife. Luckily, we live right across the street so servicing is pretty easy & they take home/pick up which makes me happy. We dealt with Kelly in the internet dept. back in '08 & will do the same again.

Very satisfied customer. :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    twosons2twosons2 Member Posts: 3
    I can share my recent experience re:True Car and 2011 Sonata Limited. I filled out the form, and was contacted by the Dealer in central NJ. After five minutes on the phone he was very clear in telling me they would not sell the car for the internet price. They were just following the other Dealers price points in order to generate traffic. He went on to say that the Dealers are entitled to add on other dealer costs per their agreement with True Car. So the truth in my situation was the True Car price, plus $1,700.00 for dealer add ons. Of course I negotiated, however the salesman just offered less for my trade. So in my eyes, it was a fugazy deal from the get go. Bottom line, they were not going to sell for the price they quoted on line, and, True Car knows it, per the internet salesman.
  • Options
    beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    I can tell you from experience that you will not beat Atlantic in W. Islip. 2 months ago I bought a 2011 Sonata there, and leased a new CTS from their Cadillac dealership, both within 2 weeks. I love both cars, by the way. There is no way though that the Cadillac is worth twice what the Sonata's MSRP is. That being said, keep in mind that Atlantic is a volume dealership. Know exactly what you want, and exactly what your bottom line is. You might want to check Huntington Hyundai first to see what their bottom line is. They don't have the stock that Atlantic does though. Atlantic does not want you to walk out the door, and will go pretty low to get you to sign while you're there. I've had no problems with them, so don't let anyone tell you that because they'll beat a price, that they're a lousy dealership. On delivery, I noticed a scratch on one headlight lens cover. I figured they'd just order a new one. They pulled a whole new car out of their stock, which included an extra option I didn't want to pay for (trunk mat) , and they gave it to me for the same price.
    Good luck finding what you want.
  • Options
    mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2011
    Just purchased in Houston. $21500 OTD. GLS Auto with PEP, floor mats, cargo net, tinted window. How did we do?

We initially wanted the light blue but none had it and would've had to be driven in from another town. Ended up with another color that was on the lot with only 5 miles on the OD. Seems like the Houston dealers won't nego much since there aren't too many Sonata's in inventory - several had only 2 in stock.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Anyone know where the closest volume dealer is located near Savannah, GA.
  • Options
    dawgatauburndawgatauburn Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    2011 Limited
    Black with grey interior
    No navigation
    Carpeted floor mats, ipod cable, and cargo net

$23, 716 for the car
    $499 doc fee
    $811.20 sales tax
    $3 lemon law
    -$500 owner loyalty rebate
    OTD $24,529

Also got the Hyundai 2.9 financing.

Very happy with the car so far, the price, and the financing.
  • Options
    snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Does your 2.9% hyundai loan come with simple or compounding interest..?
  • Options
    benjamin9876benjamin9876 Member Posts: 17
    did you get any quote for 2.4 SE no nav?
    please share if you have.

Im in bay area, interesting on the SE 2.4 not nav, I didnt quote anything yet. Wish there is a moonroof for SE model.
  • Options
    sean300sean300 Member Posts: 41
    I bought a 2010 sonata in July from Atlantic. My salesman was pretty much a straight shooter. I basically told him what I was willing to spend and he told me what they were willing to sell the car for. I was upside down on my trade but needed a car as my infiniti was on its way out with a bad engine that burned a lot of oil. I got a 2010 gls used with 4900 miles and my I35 trade for $19,200. Yeah, I paid the doc fee and the administrative fees but I basically got the car for under a little over $14,000 + tax. I went back to get another remote; my guy went downstairs and got one, programmed (because the car only had one keyless remote). I have to say that he was running around and is very personable; the guy works really hard. I would recommend that if you go to Atlantic Auto Mall, that you personally ask for him (bald, elderly dude w/glasses, thin build). The guy still calls me from time to time to see how I'm doing with the car and see how I am doing.

Note: I did have to walk out when they (the "podium" guys) would not meet my price. An hour later, dude called me and said that they (management) was willing to meet my price and asked me to "pick up my car."
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Includes: No Nav, White paint, Remote Start, Tint, Carpeted Floor Mats, Wheel Locks

Price$26,150
    Tax: $2255.44
    Fee: $75
    Tire: 12.50
    Misc(Forgot) $10

OTD: $28,502.94

Good Price? Remember, with remote start ($400+ Value maybe?) and Tint

TrueCar shows, $24,592, $25,798, and 25,292. The first one is WELL below cost. Bait n Switch a very high possibility. I verified it with one of these 3 dealers a few weeks back that the price was bogus. Getting prices from a bunch of dealers, I could say that I got a decent deal.

Sales Tax SUCKS!!! Almost $2300!!

For all these people posting their OTD price, they are worthless. What the hell did you pay for the car?? fees? Tax? etc....
  • Options
    truthandlife1truthandlife1 Member Posts: 1
    mmyk72, can you tell what dealership in Houston? I am looking for a Sonata right now in Houston. Thanks.
  • Options
    kyarvkyarv Member Posts: 5
    Purchased my 2011 Sonata last week. Ltd. pzev, non -turbo, camel pearl w/ camel leather. Has nav, carpeted floor mats, sunroof deflector, mud guards. OTD price was $26,373 including sales tax. I traded an 09 Accord EX. Hated my Accord (comfort, ride, lack of options). Love this car. How did I do? Great internet experience with Hyundai Village, Danvers, Ma. Khann (salesperson) was great to deal with - low key, up front, very accomodating.
  • Options
    usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    Congratulations and good luck! I've bought three Hyundais at Hyundai Village-love the salespeople there as well as the service dept.
    I bought a 2006 Azera (new) and traded it in for the 2011 Azera (new) and last year bought my wife an Accent (new).
    Can't go wrong at this dealership and I love the new location.
  • Options
    kyarvkyarv Member Posts: 5
    I completely agree. Will definitely go back when in the market for another car.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We finally bought from Hub on Hwy 290. Finalized the price over email and showed up to sign papers and pickup car. We were in a hurry, otherwise could probably have done more haggling and knock off another few hundred, especially when buying something right off the lot.

Other dealerships were not willing to go down on price at all on GLS. Good luck and post back after your purchase.
  • Options
    kurtstoodleykurtstoodley Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I am going to buy Hyundai Sonata SE 2.4, without Sunroof, without Navigation System.

I have $9,000 for down payment and dealer offered me this deal yesterday :

Final Price : $22,200 (everything included)

At 2.9 % Intereset for 60 months

$9,000 + ( 60 Months * $270 ) = $25,200

OR

At 3.9 % Intereset for 72 months

$9,000 + ( 72 Months * $235 ) = $25,920

[Tax is 8% in my location]

Now...

I want to ask you guys this ;

My wife wants to get "Pearl White" color instead of black and as you know "pearl white" color costs $200 extra.

Should I negotiate with get "pearl white" Sonata at $22,200 (Price he gave me for the black) instead of $22,400 ?

Asking $200 would be too much or not ?

I live in Albany, NY and this $22,200 was the lowest qoute I got for this car without any negotiation...

So what do you think ?
  • Options
    spark24spark24 Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked out truecar.com? I think the prices quoted there are lot lower in your area.

I personally have gone through truecar.com and have recently purchased 2011 Sonata 2.4L SE for 20709 + TTL. I got exactly what was quoted through truecar.com from the dealerships + few accessories.

I did read about some bait&switch tactics. But i personally didn't have any problems with any of the dealers I contacted through truecar.com
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply Spark,

First of all, I wish you to use your Sonata without any accidents (God forbid) and without any major problems ! ;)

Thats the link for my area to see truecar.com's numbers...

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/hyundai/sonata-pricing/2011/F7051696/

As you can see it says less than $22.225 is a good price. But when it comes to buying a pearl white sonata i have to add another $200...

Without any negotiation they gave me $22.200 and it was for a black color.

Now I am going to go there and say "Hey I accept your offer but I want the white one for this price, if you dont add another $200 you have a deal"

If you think I am getting ripped off what I should be looking for as a last price ?

Thank you for your time again...
  • Options
    marko711marko711 Member Posts: 10
    Offer $20357
  • Options
    copa09copa09 Member Posts: 1
    Let me add my deal to the pile. SE turbo, indigo blue with nav/sunroof, mats, mudguards, homelink mirror and cargo net. Initial price = $25,081 - OTD @ $26,024. I'm in VA so upfront sales tax is only 3%, we also pay an annual property tax that includes our cars (usually around $100 / year). Technically, I went through the AAA buying service. Truecare says it is a "Great" price. Really a beautiful car.
  • Options
    spark24spark24 Member Posts: 2
    You shouldn't settle for a good price. You should be going for the great price. I checked some other regions on truecar.com and it seemed like most places are quoting between 20600-20700 range. So that's what I would shoot for.

22,225 + TTL definitely doesn't seem like a good deal. I was quoted 20600 through truecar.com for the same car in my region. And that seemed to be the norm in few other regions in NY that I checked as well.
  • Options
    lordy1952lordy1952 Member Posts: 8
    hey I live in albany too. Did you get the quote from lia or Fuccillo? I recently bought a elantra 2010 from NJ, because they cant match the price. I would recommend for you to at least get a internet quote from NJ and see if they can match it.

The dealer i went to was towne hyundai ask for sean
  • Options
    Hey ! I got the car after some negotiation. They definitely won't go down to $21,000 !!! I checked all of the dealerships around here and lowest price is $21,800 after the negotiations.

Fuccillo was the worst in all ! They don't even treat you as a costumer and they act like jerks ! Their last prices was $22,545 for a white 2011 sonata se 2.4L.

I got the car from Lia Hyundai...
  • Options
    karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    $22,200 seems high. I would try for no more than $19,800 before tax and tags. True Car has a Sonata SE 2.4 at about $20,800 before tax and tags. Truc Car's prices are, in my opinion, a bit high as they include a $200 advertising fee which you are not required to pay and provide for a payment from the dealer to True Cost for the services they provide (mostly buyer referrals - you). If you negotiate directly which a dealer, you should be able to avoid these costs.

Also, the $270 monthly payment you mention is high. If the total out the door cost is $22,200 and if you put $9,000 down (questionable) you would be financing a total of $13,200. At 2.9% for 60 months the monthly payment would be about $237. A $270 monthly payment at 2.9% for 60 months is applicable to a total financed amount of about $15,100.

It appears it might be best to shop elsewhere.
  • Options
    oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    I think that the advertising fee refers to the expense charged to the dealer for the local area dealer network. It is part of the invoice, along with the destination charge.
  • Options
    nana729nana729 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my new 2011 Sonata 2.4 Limited with navigation, sun roof, leather, carpeted floor mats, mud guards, small pin striping, and cargo net...as far as I can tell..pretty much loaded...Key Buick in Jacksonville Florida for $25,591...minus $500 discount Hyundai is offering this month for my husband's military service...we have 7% taxes here, so with that and the tag transfer and small amount for service fees, TOTAL....$27,558. I feel like I got a good deal, since I had originally been quoted $25,500 without the navigation system.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Sorry, but OUCH. Hope you enjoy your new car.
  • Options
    luthanluthan Member Posts: 24
    i wouldn't go as far as "OUCH" but I believe you could have gotten it for about 500 less, but you did get a bunch of extras with it, not sure if they really matter to you though.
  • Options
    nana729nana729 Member Posts: 2
    Well, the cost before taxes and tag was $25,091 and the other two local dealerships were more. I played them against each other. Afterall, the car is the Limited and loaded...only thing it doesn't have is the Turbo and trunk mat. So far I am loving it. And 10 yr warranty on drive train, with 5 yr bumper to bumper or 100,000 miles, AND, 5 yr road service. Nothing to scoff at there.☺
  • Options
    snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    I'm surprised there's any activity here with all the folks on the other threads having problems with the 2011 sonata.
  • Options
    jwarshyjwarshy Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote from the Hyundai Circle Program because my company is a vendor of Hyundai. They gave me a price of $23,630. Can I do better than this with the Nav and Sunroof? In Milwaukee, WI.
  • Options
    mmmittymmmitty Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I've been scouring these boards recently, infact ever since I began my car search. I wanted to firstly thank each and every one of you who has posted, and contributed to all the discussions going on here. You've helped the people who originally posted questions, as well as the countless number of people (like me, before today) who have been merely readers.

I've just recently began getting quotes for my (hopefully) 2011 Sonata SE

Here is what I'm looking for: Sonata SE in the premium white pearl with the Navigation and Sunroof package...

I've just been quoted 22,799 (incl destination charge) + 300 dollar documentation fee (which i'm trying to negotiate away).

To be honest, this is the first car I will be purchasing and I have two questions...

1: Is this a average deal, good deal, or great deal (do you see any room for further negotiation past the documentation fee?)

2: are there any other fees I should be looking out for when I get to the dealership and sign? In addition to Sales tax and Title fees. (pretty vague question here, I just don't want to get blindsided by things that may be assumed that I would pay and would not be included in this quote, such as sales tax)

Thanks in advance for any replies!-
  • Options
    shiskababeshiskababe Member Posts: 1
    Hi there everyone. A lot of useful information on this forum.
    I am in CA and I am looking to purchase the 2011 2.0 limited Sonata with Navigation. So far the best price I have received from a dealer before taxes and fees is $27,100.
    Sound about right?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time "new" car buyer :)
  • Options
    pleasantvillempleasantvillem Member Posts: 5
    Hey mmmitty:

I think your price is good. I live in NY Metro area and was quoted a price very close to yours for an SE with NAV ($22,929) + doc fee (380) + DMV fee + sales tax. This was the best price I could get after shopping around, although I am not finished trying. I would be curious to know how you do negotiating the doc fee. Keep me posted and let me know if you do better. Good luck.

Pleasantville Mike
  • Options
    jlg503jlg503 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought over the weekend 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE (Pacific Blue) w/o NAV and sunroof.

Here are the details:

Sales Price: $21,150 plus TTL

$500 Loyalty Rebate

$1000 down

6% Sales Tax - Florida(Broward)

$22,500 OTD
  • Options
    mmmittymmmitty Member Posts: 2
    Pleasantville Mike

I was able to negotiate away the dealer fee and get them to throw in Wheel Locks.

So essentially, I managed to get the SE (premium pearl white) with Nav + Sunroof, Auto dimming mirror, carpet mats and wheel locks for $22,799 (OTD so including all fees) + sales tax and (no trade in... yet;) ).

All this without going to the dealership, however I asked multiple times that that is all I'm going to pay for, and they assured me they pride themselves on being upfront to begin with and don't include hidden fees.

I'll be heading in on Saturday to sign the papers and finalize the deal and can let you know how it goes. I'm in Boston but will be picking up the car about 1hr north - in NH. If you would like I could see what they have in stock, or if they would be willing to do the same (or similar, they were hesitant to throw in the wheel locks and autodimming mirror, not sure if they would do it again) deal, and then I could give them your contact details. (I'd get a 100 dollar referral bonus too!). No pressure though, I wouldnt do it just for the referral. They've been a pleasure thus far, and if the buying process goes as smooth as the 10+ calls this week, I'd rec the dealership.
  • Options
    pleasantvillempleasantvillem Member Posts: 5
    MMMITTY:

That sounds great. Good luck. I am in NY and was told by NY dealers that if I wanted to buy a car out of state, some states (at least NJ) charge what they call a "conveyance fee" to have the car registered in NY and that dealers sometimes mark up this fee to the customer, which is why they are sometimes able to charge a lower price. The $22,799 out the door price plus tax sounds like a really good deal for you based on the MSRP and Invoice Prices that I saw on True Car. I'd be happy to talk to the dealer in New Hampshire, although I'm not sure if it's realistic for me to go up there to get the car, but please keep me informed as to whether the price they quote you on the phone is actually the price you pay when you sign the papers. Out of curiousity, are you financing it through Hyundai? I think I may do that for part of the purchase price.

Pleasantville Mike
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Hey neighbor, grew up in Briarcliff Manor, right next door. As I recall, the new high school is on Pleasantville Rd. right past the Taconic? Hope to be back in 2012 for the 40th reunion. By the way, how do you like your Sonata? We're thinking of going the Elantra route here.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    dankauf39dankauf39 Member Posts: 1
    My buying experience on a Sonata GLS is this. I got an internet reply from a dealer on an MRSP of 22,030 for 19,991. On Feb 25, after visiting them they told me I could get a good EOM price if I decided to buy. On Feb 28 as I traveling to consolidate a deal on the above, I was called by a competing dealer and told them I was about to make a deal. I told them the numbers and that I hoped to get a deal in the 19,500 range. They gave me an immediate quote for 19,000 for the identical automobile if I visited them right then. Sounded great so as I was driving there the other dealer called me and I told them of the offer. They told me they would beat any offer by 200 dollars. I told the second dealer so they made me a deal for 18,800. To that price was added tax and title for an OTD price of 20,305. So I guess the moral of this story is to work competing dealerships. The savings below MSRP was $3,230. Wonder how much EOM played a part??
  • Options
    Dankauf - is your OTD $20305 for a GLS including Automatic Transmission? How about accessories, such as Pop Equip Package, etc.
  • Options
    rad33rad33 Member Posts: 3
    since everyone is posting what they paid, here is what i paid for a 2.4 Limited, mats, mud guards, cargo mat and net, ipod, wheel locks, wind deflector.
    MRSP - 26540
    Price - 22,825 (after 500 loyalty rebate)
    sales tax - 2280
    license fees - 364
    OTD - $25525
    truecar is a good site, but prices don't always make sense. in december when i purchased the car, it said the best price was $22,900. now it says 23,900. as you can see, i was $1,100 under this
  • Options
    stef322stef322 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I purchased 2011 Sonata Limited without the Navigation. Before taxes I was quoted 22,020. After taxes and fees 24,016. I also worked in Unlimited lifetime free car washes, 5 years free inspections and 5 years free oil changes at the dealership I bought it from. I live in New York.
  • Options
    miketravelsfremiketravelsfre Member Posts: 2
    Just about out the door to pick up a Limited 2.4 with Nav, plus a few inconsequential items like the net and cord, for about 25,200 sale price. Tax, tags to be added, and haven't (so far) heard of any fees to be added.

So, is 25,200 a good price these days on such a car, or should I wrestle more? I'd have to see it for around 600 less for it to be a meaningful savings; that is, to justify buying outside the zip code and making the road trip to get it elsewhere.

Thoughts, anyone?