Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    Could you indicate which NY dealership? Thanks
  • Options
    ilcarbuyrilcarbuyr Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2011 black Sonata SE w/o Nav with tax,title, fees for 24300. After reading a bunch of threads I think I might of over paid slightly. I bought out of town bc my tax was 6.25%, which would of been more at my local dealer of 8.25%. Any thoughts..
  • Options
    bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    DOSNT SOUND TO BAD ITS A LOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY,I HAVE A SE WITH NAV AND THE TURBO AND I LOVE IT ,I PAID 26100 HOPE YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO GOOD LUCK.
  • Options
    beagle10beagle10 Member Posts: 5
    Would you mind sharing which dealer you got this deal? I'm in south florida looking for a SE too. Thanks!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Live across the street from Coconut Creek Hyundai and they seem to be doing a brisk business with their cars...we've already bought an Accent there a few years back & will probably buy an Elantra from there next year to...great service department also!! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    kmckinnonkmckinnon Member Posts: 12
    I thought the sales tax is based on where you live and where the car will be registered-not where you purchased it.
  • Options
    abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    I thought the sales tax is based on where you live and where the car will be registered-not where you purchased it.
  • Options
    sankarkumarsankarkumar Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a brand new Black Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0 w/o Nav with HomeLink/Ipod Cable/Carpet Floor Mats for $21900 + TTL

The dealer was Hyundai of Kirkland here in WA State.
  • Options
    stevefromozstevefromoz Member Posts: 7
    Just bought my Sonata today, Camel Pearl with Camel leather, 2.0 Turbo and Navigation package. The usual were added (wheel locks, carpet mats, ipod cable, cargo net, cargo mat). sticker/msrp with destination was just over 30,400, i paid 26877 plus ttl. I think I got a good deal at this price. Another dealer was pushing me for 25800 for the Red limited 2.0T without Nav, so to get Nav and the color I wanted for the extra $800, definitely worth it for me.

I went to Sterling McCall Hyundai in Houston (south on 59) and would recommend them again to anyone, great experience there. If anyones in the market, PM me and I can recommend a sales guy to work with.
  • Options
    netriscanetrisca Member Posts: 15
    Can someone who bought in NY (5 boroughs) and got a good deal chime in with dealer info? I would greatly appreciate it!
  • Options
    ancestorancestor Member Posts: 1
    I got as Hyundai Sonata 2011 Limited with Navigation, Sunroof, Rear camera, Homelink, all the other things to say fully loaded for 25367 + Taxes + Registration.

Is it a good deal?
  • Options
    uiuchsuuiuchsu Member Posts: 1
    Recently I am looking for sonata SE base model without Navi and Sunroof. I quoted some dealers near Chicago area. The lowest price I can get is $21200 plus TTL. Others are in the range $21400~21700. How about the price? any input?

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    pinksnyperpinksnyper Member Posts: 75
    2011 Hyundai Sonata - SE - 2.0T (no nav)

MSRP: $25,145
    Sales price: $22,269 (includes $500 Owner loyalty and lease rebate of $250)

I'm leasing...so this is some details also for anyone good at lease math :)

residual: $14332.65
    money factor: .00056
    $1425 down (tax paid upfront in NJ)
    36months - $274
    15K lease
  • Options
    pancake1pancake1 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good lease deal??

$1000 down plus reg & 1st payment.
    36 mon/36K
    $250/month
    2011 Sonata turbo
    I think list price was 26K
  • Options
    netriscanetrisca Member Posts: 15
    Can someone chime in with a good NY (5 boroughs) deal? THANKS! I need a good dealership :D
  • Options
    snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    edited April 2011
    It is. I should add if you're buying in state but in a diff county, taxes could vary. His example seems like a big drop in taxes. I purchased a vehicle out of state for use there. But it was tagged in Fl. I paid taxes based on my resident Fl county.
  • Options
    skypilot5skypilot5 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a very good price, is it possible to list all the features and options you got?

Thanks
  • Options
    sankarkumarsankarkumar Member Posts: 2
    I got the same config last month for $21900 + TTL with Homelink/Carpets/Ipod Cable. So I think it is a very good deal.
  • Options
    hiflyer2hiflyer2 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Gerald Hyundai, North Aurora IL. Test drove a Sonata 2.4 LTD, no NAV. I had a quote from another dealer via email for $22,589, before TTL. Salesman & manager at Gartner said they would meet it. REPEATEDLY said they would meet it. Called the next day to say I was ready to put money down, & just before I left for the dealership the salesperson calls me and said they couldn't do it. He said the red (which I had indicated i wanted) now commanded a $600 premium. So (on the phone) I said I'd take the blue I had test driven. He said he'd need to talk to the manager & would call me back. When he did, he said they couldn't meet my price, that there was too much of an inventory crunch. How there was such a dramatic change between Friday & Saturday I have no idea. Called the other dealership, gave them a $500 charge (refundable) & they said they will locate the car I want for the price they gave me. I sure hope so, & will post what happens.

I wanted to go with Gartner because they include a lifetime powertrain warranty, which was a nice plus. But to assure me of a price & then back out is tacky. I will admit they never actually wrote the price down for me, but they did retain a copy of the email i had from the other dealer & insisted it was no problem to meet that price.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What it looks like to me is between Friday and Saturday, they met their sales target for the month. Less incentive for them to deal. Just a guess.

Personally I would not do business with a dealership that did not honor their word. If this is a hint as to how they treat their customers...
  • Options
    zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    looking to purchase car in 2 weeks.
    I want a red sonata SE with no options.
    I will take the car as is, any good deals anyone knows about.
    i am taking suggestions, thank you.
    as for pricing does anyone think i have a chance at getting the car below invoice price?
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited April 2011
    Target selling price for SE without options should be 21k and even 20.5k is doable. BTW factory to dealer incentives that are being kept hush by dealers are in range of 2k-2500 range, and varies each month.

Use Amex car buying service or Costco's to get good a deal. Seems like MD dealers offer best deals on any brand using Amex so use the zip codes in MD, DC or VA area. Watch out for document fee, it should be no more than 150 but often runs 399 plus and I would not pay that much and its often negotiable.

Best time to buy is the last few days of month, especially a slow month!
  • Options
    hyundai_ayhyundai_ay Member Posts: 1
    What is a reasonable amount % expect a dealer to discount from list?

I felt 10% would be no problem (monthly payment $333 down to $300). At the first dealer it did not seem to go over well.

Any suggestions on where to start.

I only am looking for a manual GL no bells and whistles.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Picked up a Silver 2.0T SE without navigation but with autodimming mirror, carpet floor mats, mud guards, and cargo net over the weekend:

MSRP: $25,580
    Listed Transaction Price: $24,455
    Trade-in: $6,069 (2002 Honda Odyssey EX, 132,916 miles)
    Net Price: $18,386 plus TT&L and $279 doc fee.

Financed everything at 0.9% APR for 36 months. This was in Nashville, Tennessee.

Keep in mind the dealer inflated the trade-in value in order to bring down the price of the Sonata; the Odyssey was probably worth about $5,000 optimistically (realistically closer to $4500-$4800) but if we assume the trade-in was worth $5,000, that meant the net price of the Sonata was $23,386. We didn't care how the dealer structured it as long as they hit the net price we wanted.

Rock bottom price? No. But it was a fairly painless shopping experience and while the other dealers may have been able to beat the price by $200, it would have come back anyway in the form of a higher document fee. Also for some reason Nashville seems to be more expensive than other cities nationally in terms of new car prices.
  • Options
    asksigmundasksigmund Member Posts: 2
    2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS. Automatic, Harbor Gray, grey interior.

Negotiated car price: $18552
    Out the door price: $20447 (including all taxes, fees, etc)

Pretty happy with that, I've got to say.
  • Options
    brian4001brian4001 Member Posts: 7
    hey asksigmund,

Can you give me a breakdown of the taxes, fees etc and which dealer did you go to?

Thanks
  • Options
    jkwh50ajkwh50a Member Posts: 7
    What was the sticker price ?
  • Options
    asksigmundasksigmund Member Posts: 2
    Sure. Sticker was, $21,345, I believe.

White Plains Hyundai.

$1144 Taxes (CT taxes)
    $170 Registration fee
    $75 Processing fee
    A couple other doodads in there to bring the final cost to the above figure.
  • Options
    alamakalamak Member Posts: 4
    All,

Just bought my pearl white 2.4l Sonata Limited, no nav for $23.250. Obviously I'm not going to ask people if I got a good deal or not since I already got the car. I'm in the bay area, and this is the best price I got. I think I could have gotten a better deal, but not by much, maybe a couple hundreds more. I had to buy the car since my wife's car just went kaput the last week.

Anyways, my price is $23,250 + TTL. Its for a 2.4l Sonata Limited, no nav. If anyone is trying to get the same car, but could not get a better, let me know, I can call my sales guy and get the same price.
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    You did really good, the best would have been 23k. Also thanks for not asking if you did good. That question begs someone to make you feel bad by saying they paid less!

Unless you have the luxury of time the best deal is what you can negotiate at that point in time and that means you did great!

I want 2012 SE so I will wait till Fall!
  • Options
    :) yea, I don't have the luxury of time to get the best deal, but given the time, it definitely worked out great. Loving my car every moment. Hope you will get a great deal on urs!!
  • Options
    lolo7lolo7 Member Posts: 1
    hello shiskababe

can you please share the dealership info in new york from where u purchased ur 2011 Sonata Limited. you got a great deal!

thanks
  • Options
    crucialminutiacrucialminutia Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    @asksigmund: Looks like we got the exact same Harbor Gray/Gray Base Trim AT 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS this week, for only $14 more (before Trade In) --

Our MSRP options were: $100 floor mats, a $95 cargo mat, and a $45 cargo net:

$21,390 Total MSRP (including a $750 Destination Charge)

$20,696 Dealer Invoice
    -$2,204 newcars.overstock.com Discount (search Wayne, NJ, 07470)

$18,492 Negotiated Car Price

+$299 Security Etching by Dealer
    +$1,490 8.75% Sales Tax
    +$5 Online Processing Fee
    +$299 Estimated NY State DMV Fees
    +$399 Dealer Documentation Fee

$20,491 Out-the-Door (before Trade In)

-$1,999 Trade In

$18,492 Final Out-the-Door Price

Several of those fees seem to be way out of line, but overall...

We are VERY happy with this deal! ;)
  • Options
    sunilsunil Member Posts: 52
    Your price (23,250) is about 500-600 better than I see on TrueCar / Edmunds TMV. I am also in the market for either the Limited or "maybe" the Hybrid (have not tried to negotiate a deal yet). Can you tell me what dealer gave you this price, thanks.
  • Options
    daekidaeki Member Posts: 1
    crucialminutia, what dealer did you go to to get this deal? thanks
  • Options
    @sunil,

i got my car at capitol hyundai. I've got a colleague that is interested in buying the sonata hybrid(base), but the sales guy said supply is limited, and dealers are not giving discounts on that. But I asked for a quote anyways, he quoted me at $26,750 for the base sonata hybrid.

Let me know if you need me to refer you to my sales guy. Experience was great, no hassle. I just showed up, get the paperwork done.

Good luck with your car search :)
  • Options
    sunilsunil Member Posts: 52
    Thanks @alamak. Capitol Hyundai is very near my house, and this week they have 3 base hybrids in (plus one with premium package which is already sold) - so they may deal. Thanks for letting me know your quote, lets see what I can get...
  • Options
    We bought at Wayne Auto Mall Hyundai in Wayne, NJ (because the Edmunds online inventory said they had 89 Sonatas in stock there last week), but the pricing was pre-determined (for free) at cars.overstock.com, so I suggest that you just check there for today's best deal.

Searching zip code 07470 at cars.overstock.com, I found 2 dealers in that area who were quoting $2204 below Dealer Invoice for base Sonatas: Wayne Hyundai and Liberty Hyundai.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    abahlabahl Member Posts: 3
    Hi-

I am in that area. Could you please tell me which salesperson you worked with? Did you negotiate online?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    weesa20weesa20 Member Posts: 4
    I second this- they work with scam companies (First Extended Service Corp in my experience) and there Service Manager Dale Ozment and General Manager Rick Powell couldn't care less about making customers happy...Stay Away from Bob Dunn in Greensboro NC :mad:
  • Options
    Stay Away From Bob Dunn in Greensboro NC. They work with scam companies (First Extended Service Corp in my experience) and there Service Manager Dale Ozment and General Manager Rick Powell couldn't care less about making customers happy...Stay Away from Bob Dunn in Greensboro NC :mad:
  • Options
    Stay away from 3rd party warranties and Bob Dunn in general...I second this- they work with scam companies (First Extended Service Corp in my experience) and there Service Manager Dale Ozment and General Manager Rick Powell couldn't care less about making customers happy...Stay Away from Bob Dunn in Greensboro NC :mad:
  • Options
    samsamuelssamsamuels Member Posts: 2
    I have been dealing with a local Phoenix, AZ area Hyundai dealer about a 2011 Sonata GLS - Pearl White, camel interior , NO PEP package, but has the Homelink thingy and the auto dimming mirror.

I haggled a bit and was able to get a quote for 22,100 out the door (includes everything, taxes, etc).

I checked true car, but still unsure if this a reasonable deal, good deal, or bad deal. Any feedback at all is appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    bimmer328xibimmer328xi Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Just FYI, I got the 2011 Sonata GLS, Peral white with camel interior, with Popular Equip Package + Homelink and auto dim mirror last SAT from Corwin Hyundai in MO with 19300 + tax.
  • Options
    I had great luck using newcars.overstock.com!

(I didn't need Amex-worthy credit, or even pay a membership fee.)
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    SamS...sounds like you got a great deal on your new GLS.

What was up with Corwin Hyundai, they have a pile of them sitting there, a special $ale, or what?

Enquiring minds want to know... :shades:
  • Options
    kooitskevin714kooitskevin714 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Alamak,

Could you email me the name of your sales person? I'm looking to get a 2011 Sonata Limited in Pearl White. Did you have any rebates or incentives?
  • Options
    vikramsvikrams Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Iam looking for sonata limited without nav. I was quoted for $24,200. Your deal seems to be a great deal. Can u please let me know the dealer information. I live in LA.

Thanks much...
  • Options
    coolblue123coolblue123 Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2011
    $22,777 (true car) + TTL
    = 24,300

Got Floor Mats, cargo net, homelink + compass rear view mirror and that plastic protective tape over the rear bumper.
    I was happy with the deal. I couldn't get another dealer in the area to budge below $23K.