Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    truelies1truelies1 Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2010
    Dealer in houston is very greedy. Normally they charge $1500 more than other states.
    Wondering if other states near Houston has deal on Sonata Package 2? I know VA has the lowest price, they usually post it on website but forbidden by Hyundai usa.
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2010
    LMAO......no, I am not a Hyundai dealer, just a consumer doing much research before I go out and drop 25K+ on my next car purchase within the next few weeks. I was leaning towards the Sonata Limited Turbo, but now it's the Optima EX with the premium package.
  • Options
    briank84briank84 Member Posts: 7
    Can you tell me the prices you were getting BEFORE Taxes and fee's?
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    When we were shopping in summer, a Dallas Metroplex dealer located in McKinney, Tx was offering the best price in Texas. An SE + mats was about $21,200 and GLS with PEP plus mats was $19,600 plus TTL without NAV or sunroof package. LTD, which I suspect is 2k above SE at invoice value and you should be in 23k range. Their doc. fee is only $175 vs. 299 for most dealers. The internet/fleet sales person's last name rhymes/ with safe but spelt slightly different and he is a superbly nice person. These prices were good even when cars were not sitting. Names of dealership and the salesman names are not allowed by Edmunds.com.

Good luck!
  • Options
    bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY,I HAVE HAD MINE SINCE THE 30TH.OF OCT.AND I LOVE IT YOU WILL THINK YOU ARE DRIVING A V8.
  • Options
    smuggymbasmuggymba Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2010
    Can we drive somewhere near around houston within 100 miles to get a great deal.

Is 24, 500 OTD for a limited in not good enough with carpeted floor mats, cargo mats?
  • Options
    sonatabuyer11sonatabuyer11 Member Posts: 2
    Been a lurker on this board while I was Hyundai shopping. You guys have been a great help in my pursuit, so I thought I'd give back.

Went out and purchased the Consumer Reports subscription with the Bottom Line Pricing add-on. Looked at various cars at my desired price point and decided on the Sonata.

Did a dealer search in the DFW area using the CR dealer quotes option on a 2011 White Pearl Sonata Limited 2.0T with Camel Leather and Nav. Got my quotes and the best deal-no haggle price came from Freeman Hyundai. Hands Down.

Danny Ward is the Internet salesperson that I dealt with and would highly advise anyone in that market to call Danny and tell him the Texas Tech guy sent you.

Anyway, Danny gave me a beauty quote $27, 600 + ttl Total price just short of $30,000 OTD.

Unfortunately there was only like 5 Pearl White (dealer cost on white is another $182 btw) cars in all of Texas and no one would give them up. Freeman did not have one & each time they tried to dealer trade no one would do it. Each sold on arrival. They weren't even going to charge me for the dealer trade. I waited about 3 weeks before I went with another area dealer. The Freeman guys tipped me on an area dealer that had my car in another color.

As it turned out I ended up getting the car with the options I specified in Pacific Blue from a dealer because they had one on the lot ready to move and Freeman did not. Freeman's price and my willingness to wait gave me leverage.

I wanted like the dickens to buy a car from Freeman because Danny was a straight shooter. Danny was genuinely happy that I had found a car and apologized for not being able to help me get what I wanted.

I'm gonna go back to Freeman for something even if it's just an oil change. Those guys were great. Call Danny you will not regret it.

Bought my car on Friday December 3rd. Really, really liking it so far. I hope this post helps you as much as you guys helped me. Thanks.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Names of dealerships are allowed. Names of salesmen are not allowed.
  • Options
    juliovzjuliovz Member Posts: 3
    First check truecar. Then get on Edmunds. Check the inventory 100 miles out. Send them all an email. Call back the promising ones. You can do this in a day and get a great price. Get in in writing via email.
  • Options
    I just ran a quote on geico for a new 2011 sonata, camry and accord for my situation (rate per six months)

Camry 332
    Accord 370
    Sonata 490

Why is sonata's insurance so expensive?
  • Options
    cubsfan3cubsfan3 Member Posts: 3
    If the car is a turbo, that explains the difference - what are your details, age, married, etc?? these ALL can effect price -

In Chicago area, I got quotes of 450 for Sonata 4 cyl, 480 for Accord 4 cyl, and 470 for Fusion V6.
  • Options
    sonatabuyer11sonatabuyer11 Member Posts: 2
    Oops. Sorry about that. Didn't know. Anyway to go back and edit a previous post so that I can delete the name?
  • Options
    Any update on 2011 sonata limited best price in houston?
  • Options
    idiomidiom Member Posts: 16
    2011 Sonata GLS manual for 16,100+ttl?
    Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    Yes. good deal, where did you get this offer? How much for auto?
  • Options
    idiomidiom Member Posts: 16
    Didn't do trade in appraisal yet. I have an old nissan altima with 215kmiles....
    In No VA.
  • Options
    In the metro Philly area, Manual is 17,118 Auto is 18,174 or 18,857 with PeP2
  • Options
    davidwilpdavidwilp Member Posts: 28
    Does this seem like a good price? Not a fair price but a good deal. Package 2 does not have the navigation, my wife doesn't want it. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is any cash back on this car now that the dealer may be using. Oh, I am in South Florida.

Thanks all
  • Options
    Read my previous post.....without TTL, it is available in the Philly area via truecar.com for 18,857
  • Options
    fumesfumes Member Posts: 11
    Anyone received a price on the 2.0T Limited in Madison WI?
  • Options
    nigregg: Maybe the car you are talking about is manual or without package #2. Down here, truecar gave me a price of $20,211
  • Options
    ming2ming2 Member Posts: 17
    Just bought 2011 GLS, auto. PEP with no Nav. floor mats, and cargo net in Aurora, Il. dealership, suburb of Chicago, for $19,490 base price.
  • Options
    What is PEP ?
  • Options
    PEP = Popular Equipment Package
  • Options
    truebrother1truebrother1 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Looking for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS Manual Indigo Blue Camel Cloth/Interior with Package#2&3, floor & trunk mats, cargo net, mud flaps, TTL included and OTD Pricing in Central (Austin) Texas. I am willing to drive to San Antonio, Houston or Dallas. Can someone give me the break down on all the fees for the car I just described in the greater Texas area. Thanks, Kenny
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Unfortunately no option packages are available for a Manual Sonata so no dealership will have what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Looking for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS Automatic Indigo Blue Camel Cloth/Interior with Package#2&3, floor & trunk mats, cargo net, mud flaps, TTL included and OTD Pricing in Central (Austin) Texas. I am willing to drive to San Antonio, Houston or Dallas. Can someone give me the break down on all the fees for the car I just described in the greater Texas area. Thanks, Kenny
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    David.....re-read post 7603.....I quoted all three cars, manual, without pep 2 and with pep 2 in the Philly metro area. Different areas of the country will sell the cars for different prices, it all comes down to basic supply and demand. Combining today's economy with the power of the internet, there is no excuse for you not being able to get a rock bottom price on these cars. You need to gather all the info you can on the net through websites like this one and cars.com, and then contact all of the dealers within a 50 mile radius or as far as you're willing to drive to see who will offer you the best deal via the net. Then, go visit the 3 lowest quotes and negotiate with those three dealers.
  • Options
    Me too, I don't think Texas has good deal on 2011 Sonata, the only chance is a nearby state.

Somebody post several days ago $17170 +TTL (manual)=$18170+TTL, I think this is a good deal.
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited December 2010
    19,600 for GLS w/PEP, mats plus 18 alloy in Summer 2010. Its in Mckinney, TX salesman's last name rhymes with "safe". its north of Dallas, TX off I-75.
  • Options
    Thank You for your last comment. Just need further clarification. Did you buy a GLC Automatic with NAV (which includes all the other extras) TTL and Out the Door with mats for 19,600? Can you send me the break down of that transaction? I really appreciate this 'eye openinig' information. Kenny
  • Options
    abgharabghar Member Posts: 20
  • Options
  • Options
    So far my turbo limited is going really well other then a strange engine burn smell. I asked the dealer and of course he says this is normal for a new car. Thing is I have 1000+ miles now on the car. I bought this car about 3+ weeks ago.

I do feel the steering wheel is leaning very slightly to the left. It is not at absolute center. I dont want to take it to the dealer since I feel they will over adjust and it will lean to the right. I will closely check for uneven tire wear to indicate for any alignment issues.
  • Options
    bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    i also had this happen to me i had a 2011 mustang with the 5.0 v8 i was paying 317.00 for 6 mths now i am paying 337.00 for 6 mths. i think its the turbo also o well i love the car . it is like driving the v8.
  • Options
    Not sure what happened to my original response.

Anyway was trying to say that I recently added insurance for my new 2011 sonata turbo limited and a 2010 Mazda 3 (2.0L). I am locked in at $505 for 6 months for the 2 cars.

Not sure why the insurance is higher in your neighborhood. I am in NC.
  • Options
    See my response on post #7620.

So far the sonata turbo limited is driving very nicely.
  • Options
    Do you mean this one?

Huffines Hyundai Kia McKinney
    1301 North Central Expressway
    McKinney, TX 75070

I will like to contacet them to see if don't upgrade to 18 alloy, how much they can be.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Looking the purchase this vehicle for $21,000 OTD in the greater Texas area. It would also need to have interior/trunk carpeted mats, mud guards, cargo net, wheel locks. Can someone direct me to a salesperson or dealership that will make this deal happen?
  • Options
    I am searching GLS with package 2 for drive out $20500, any dealer in Texas willing to do this? I don't think you can get package 3 for $21,000.
  • Options
    bluntknifebluntknife Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    I am in the market for a 2009 hyundai sonata GLS. The best price i have so far is $11,150 (11,985 OTD ) for a 2009 with 29k miles on it. Is that a good deal? It is a clean, one owner car.
  • Options
    As a follow up, here in South Florida I ended up with the GLS automatic with PEP for $18,500. This included $500 incentive for financing with them which I think just went into effect this weekend. It took a little over 4 hours but I got a good deal I believe.

At $19,650 the sales manager was telling and showing me how this is better than employee pricing. During our negotiations I was also on my cell and texting with another dealer. At $19,500 I told him we would take it. In the middle of paperwork I got a text from the other dealer who told me they would do $18,500. You should have seen the salesman's face when I showed him the text. They met that price.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited December 2010
    You should have seen the salesman's face when I showed him the text.

I can imagine... since you had already agreed to buy the car for $19,500.

Was $18,500 the "out the door"price, or plus tax and fees?
  • Options
    edmunds010edmunds010 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Is this the OTD price?
  • Options
    Not OTD. + tax, tag transfer fee.
  • Options
    oats1jvooats1jvo Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I did my research at Edmonds.com, here and various other magazines. Research showed that the end of December is the best time to purchase a new car. I purchased mine tonight. If I wasn’t going away I would have waited a day or two.

I live in N.J. however I am also in MD a lot. I bought my car in Bowie, MD at Ourisman Hyundai. They are next to a Honda dealer and even though the Honda is more expensive, I played the two off each other.

My OTD price including NJ Taxes which are higher, was $24033.00. This price was without Navigation however it did include wheel locks, mudguards and a cargo net. I received this without a lot of haggling and am quite satisfied with this deal.
  • Options
    sb222sb222 Member Posts: 6
    Just called these people. They told me that the prices posted at their website do not include freight and do require you to finance through Hyundai, otherwise add $500. Adding $500 and $720 freight to their posted prices puts them close to what I'm seeing here in the NY metro area. Just FYI for anyone perusing their website.
  • Options
    I wouldn't let having to finance through Hyundai discourage you. They had very good rates the last I saw. If you are able to pay cash (no financing) you could always finance a small amount, like $5,000, and then pay it off in the first payment. So you might pay $50 or less in fanance charges to save $500 in purchase price.

I think the real question is whether the travel is worth the amount you would save.
  • Options
    loismillerloismiller Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a Hyundai Sonata Limited from a Conn. dealer Meridan Hyundai. Although I am a New Yorker this dealership treated me so well, from the manager, to the salesman C.Q. , it was well worth it to travel there. Thanks everyone at Meridan, L. M.
  • Options
    Lois, why don't you give some details so it may help others.