Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dsmudsmu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks again for your help, I signed up for CR's pricing info and it's been a very interesting read thus far giving me at least a few more (metaphorical) rounds of ammo heading into negotiations.

As for next steps, I'm ready to start pitting dealers against each other to get the best deal, but do you recommend doing this in person, over the phone, or via e-mail (internet sales dept)? Also, would you recommend just asking for their bottom line best price up front, or going in with a specific number as an offer (i.e. starting with consumer reports' "bottom line price")?

I sent out a zag.com quote request using an "alias" and already got two quotes between dealer cost and invoice price (before TTL) so it's been an encouraging process already. Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    jjjj263jjjj263 Member Posts: 8
    Hi 123 car,

yesterday I went ask for price in Rick case Hyundai for Non Turbo Limited with Nav. The dealer gave me his sale price as $ 26,700 and with tax and title the OTD is 28,667.88

and for Turbo Limited with Navigation he is saying Hyundai did not released any turbo with Nav.but, he gave me a price for that too. OTD $ 30,792.88

if anyone bought a turbo with Nav package please post the OTD price. Please confirm if someone at-least saw or test driven a sonata limited turbo with Nav :)
  • Options
    talkintribetalkintribe Member Posts: 16
    Ok, so the best I have found in Chicagoland for most basic Limited is $22990. This has been done using the good ole internet and no negotiating yet. Has anyone done better? I don't feel like I have found the best price yet.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who thinks perhaps the competition has caught up to Toyota and Honda; someone who may be considering new brands for the first time in awhile.

If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm, Thursday, November 11, 2010, and include your city and state of residence, your email address and your telephone number.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    kevinfitzkevinfitz Member Posts: 3
    Group- I am having a very difficult time getting my hands on a Sonata Turbo White/Camel Int/with Nav for 26.6K(before taxes), this is my goal. I have talked to 4 dealerships in Cleveland and DC. Have USAA/Zag price protection but dealers will not honor(seems like a bait/switch), plus hear alot about not getting enough of these vehicles on their lots. I am willing to travel up to 350 miles to get this price. Can anyone help me with my goal? Also willing to put down a $500-$1000 down payment with 60 days to find me this ride. Can anyone help me spend my money? Everyone...please post what your paying and how you neg. your offer.
  • Options
    chris12343chris12343 Member Posts: 2
    I was just quoted $22,901 for a Limited 4 cyl in Arizona (w/out nav). I am confused because according to Edmunds the invoice price is $24,418.
  • Options
    I now have a quote of $22890 + 3 free oil changes for the 2011 Sonata Limited with an MSRP of 26125. Can I do better?
  • Options
    chris12343chris12343 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't been able to get lower than the $22,901 I posted yesterday (the MSRP was $26,380 because I added some options) in Phoenix, AZ. The next lowest price for the same car/options was $24,000. I am waiting for confirmation of what I've calculated as my "out the door" price to make sure there are no "surprises" if I pull the trigger.
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    It all comes down to supply and demand. When the Sonata first came out, dealers were being spoon fed their allotments and not much discounting was going on. As their inventory has swelled and an additional manufacturer to dealer incentive was added, this is when the higher discounting kicked in. Because of this manufacturer to dealer incentive (which expires on 1/3/11) quotes on true car or zag come in at below invoice and also below dealer cost because this incentive is part of the equation.

I have test driven all three models of the Sonata and at this point I am leaning towards the Limited, but there are still other players in the game such as the Turbo version of the Sonata, which I have a quote of 24,233 on with mats and flaps.

Another choice is the Sonata's new cousin, the Kia Optima, which comes in 4 different versions...LX and EX with the 2.4 engine and EX and SX with the 2.0T engine..

My final decision will come after I have driven the new Optima.
  • Options
    njgregg- Where are u getting a quote on a sonata turbo for 24.3K? Is this a Limited/have Navi?
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    The car in question is a limited turbo with carpets and mud flaps, with NO navigation. I have a Garmin GPS, so I feel that the extra for the navigation is a total waste. The quote is through zag.com, which is in connection with truecar.com.
  • Options
    panda7panda7 Member Posts: 3
    Are you a costco or AAA member ot are/were in the military? If you are in anyone of these and have not checked out their auto buying program, check it out. That wil give you the best pricing you can get from the dealer.
  • Options
    abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    Are you a costco or AAA member ot are/were in the military? If you are in anyone of these and have not checked out their auto buying program, check it out. That wil give you the best pricing you can get from the dealer.

That is absolutely nonsense.
    Don't you people learn anything on these forums???
  • Options
    I did about $1000 better than Costco or Amex would have done. Final price--Sonata Limited w/o Nav--$22890 with mud guards, cargo net, ipod cable, wheel locks. MSRP $26,480. I did not know, until after the car was bought, that the back seats are heated too (standard in Limited). Awesome!
  • Options
    howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    May i know where is your location?

Seems like it is very hard to get under $24,000 for the standard limited edition here in Houston, TX......
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Hi, I just got a quote from a dealer for $21k for the 2011 Sonata GLS auto with package 2. Just add taxes and dmv fee. Is this a good deal? Truecar says best price at $18197. Is this possible right now?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited November 2010
    No, $21k is not a good deal at all--only $665 less than MSRP. Tell the dealer they need to try a LOT harder or you'll buy a Malibu, or Fulan, or Camry, Mazda6, or Optima, or ... (pick one with the lowest advertised price in your area--bring the add too).

$18k may not be attainable in your area, but gives you a target to shoot for, and tells you that $21k is WAY too much.
  • Options
    Hi Backy, Thanks! I will def shop around more. Have you read anywhere yet if 35mpg is actually attainable with the GLS auto? That would be the only deal breaker for me since I drive a lot of miles. I'm worried that the 22mpg city rating will negate that hwy number too often.
  • Options
    In my long experience with cars including owning 3 Hyundais (one a 2007 Sonata), I think you should be able to easily hit or exceed 35 mpg on the highway, as long as you are willing to drive with a light foot on the gas. More specifically, if you:

* Keep to highway speed limits (and they are 70 mph or less--over that, FE drops significantly)
    * Resist the urge to use all 198 horses unless you absolutely, positively need them
    * Drive with light pressure on the gas, coast (in gear) whenever possible, anticipate stops, etc.

For example, my 2004 Elantra is rated 29 mpg highway on the (revised) EPA scale, and my Sonata is rated 30 mpg. But I always exceed those numbers by 3-5 mpg in highway driving just by doing the few simple things I mentioned above. I also exceed the cars' city ratings by a wide margin. My wife, however, does not... she has the proverbial "lead foot".

If you drive in heavy traffic, stop and go, do a lot of idling (which is at 0 mpg), driving in the city with stoplights, etc., you will NOT get 35 mpg. But in your highway driving, if it's with few stops, you should be able to get 35+ mpg. But remember: keep that raw egg (in your mind) between your right foot and the accelerator.
  • Options
    smuggymbasmuggymba Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2010
    May i know where is your location?

Seems like it is very hard to get under $24,000 for the standard limited edition here in Houston, TX......

I'm also looking for a deal in houston on the limited....which dealer gave the 24K price?
  • Options
    In my long experience with cars including owning 3 Hyundais (one a 2007 Sonata), I think you should be able to easily hit or exceed 35 mpg on the highway, as long as you are willing to drive with a light foot on the gas. More specifically, if you:

This is very encouraging as I am a light foot by nature. My '07 Honda Fit Sport which I just sold always averaged at 38mpg (33mpg epa) and had the original brakes replaced at 105k miles. Thanks again!
  • Options
    sure. chicagoland.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    We own a '11 sonata gls with 6MT. We paid-before taxes and trade-in- $17,500.00 (had a $500.00 loyalty rebate at the time). We average 35+mpg mostly highway driving. We traded our 05 elantra GT with over 100,000 problem free miles for it. We also own a 06 acura tsx, that will be 4 years old on Wed. It now has 116,000+ miles with the original brakes. Our sonata, bought 7/27, has 8,000+miles. This is our 10th hyundai (our first was a 88 excel gls that had over 200,000 miles when it was totaled by a red-light runner)
  • Options
    We own a '11 sonata gls with 6MT.

Nice. I was looking at the manual first but wasn't liking the wheel covers and they are not offering the alloy as an option. I do prefer the manual as its 24mpg/city vs 22mpg/city for the auto.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    You got a great car and an even better deal! What color did you get, or was your good deal the result of an unpopular color they just wanted to get rid of..?

The Limited's are awsome cars but I think they should have put the dual exhasts in them like the SE's.
  • Options
    Talk with the dealer, I'll bet they can swap the steelies for alloys... for a price.

Or... aftermarket alloys.
  • Options
    Black exterior with the gray interior. We got to choose color. All in all, we were pretty happy with the process. It seems like a great car.
  • Options
    truelies1truelies1 Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2010
    But I am curious where did you get $18197? I think it's impossible with package 2. How much is you before TTL price?
  • Options
    But I am curious where did you get $18197? I think it's impossible with package 2. How much is you before TTL price?

The $18197 is from Truecar for my zip code for package 2. It provides the dealer name (Wayne Hyundai in Wayne, NJ), a contact and even states their doc fee ($399). I'll find out tomorrow if this is just another gimmick to get me in the dealership. Will post an update after.
  • Options
    jjjj263jjjj263 Member Posts: 8
    Hi folks,

I finally bought a Red Hyundai Sonata turbo limited with Nav for sale price of $ 26,645 + tax (6.25%)+ title (33.5) + doc fee (250).
    Got with three accessories: Ipod cable, Mud guards and floor Mats
    Zag.com price for my area was 27,145 and I got 500 $ below Zag.com and this price is with $ 0 hyundai incentives.

My suggestions for the potential buyers of the same vehicle should target at-least 100 - 250 below my sale price + Dealer incentive (if you are qualify for one) :)

Thanks to all your help and suggestions.
    This site rocks !!! :shades:
  • Options
    congrats, you found one! Don't forget to post about your driving impessions of this model. Hope you have test driven lots of the reguylar 2.4's so you have a good comparison. I have found in my test flights on the regular Sonata, the engine and a/t were way more powerful than I expected.

I'm still kicking tires looking for the right combination of color and options (Irridesent blue pearl with grey leather interior) but I can't get that incredible metalic red color out of my mind!

What I would really like to know is what kind of mpg's you can get out of the Turbo on normal highway speed-limit driving. I know it will be tough but try it will you please? Re-set the fuel info data and just the highway mpg's thanks....
  • Options
    jjjj263.....Super Cool, Enjoy that RED BEAUTY!!! I think your $$ suggestions are right on at this time. Where did you buy it from?
  • Options
    Anyone want to buy a Sonata in Houston during thanksgiving? I think we can buy together for a better deal.
  • Options
    I am in if we can get a good deal!!! what model are you looking for?

I am thinking to wait till Christmas time that we may get a better deal. just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Wow this doesn't happen often...just when you buy a new car it gets rave reviews about being the best buy!
    2011 Hyundai Sonata: TheCarConnection's Best Car to Buy 2011

November 16th, 2010 TheCarConnection's Best Car to Buy 2011 is the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The 2011 Sonata tops TheCarConnection's numeric ratings among all vehicles with a base price of less than $50,000, including destination. That it does so at a base price of $19,995 is a testament to the thorough transformation it's undergone--in moving to a U.S. assembly site, in adopting a vivid and memorable new styling theme, and in delivering top-notch safety and a full list of standard features, right out of the box.

The Sonata's challengers provided stiff competition. The Acura TSX remains our favorite Acura, with great road manners and a new wagon body style promising even more utility. The Infiniti M37 has some of the design magic promised by that brand's Essence show car, with grippy and engaging handling. The BMW 5-Series? It's hard to find fault with the 5er's road manners or with its streamlined cabin. In the end, the Sonata's toughest competitor proved to be its own corporate cousin, the 2011 Kia Optima, which rates an identical 8.7 out of 10.

Many of TCC's editors prefer the Optima's crisp lines, but while all three Sonatas are on sale in time, the Optima Hybrid will be introduced after our qualification dates. The distinction is slight, but the Sonata earns the tiebreak because all its versions are on sale--and because of its huge impact on the mid-size sedan market, where it now ranks third in overall sales.

High Gear Media will be presenting honors to the winners of TCC's Best Car to Buy 2011 award at this week's 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show--along with winners for MotorAuthority's performance/luxury Best Car to Buy 2011, and GreenCarReports' green Best Car to Buy 2011. For more on our winner, read TheCarConnection's full review of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata.

TheCarConnection's Best Car to Buy 2011 is the 2011 Hyundai Sonata.
    TCC Best Car to Buy 2011
  • Options
    Looks like the Optima might have grabbed the award, if the Hybrid had been available a little sooner. Tough luck, Kia!
  • Options
    I have checked the Kia Optima specs and it only has only a 5 speed a/t and gets less mpg's than the Sonata.

For those who don't like the new Sonata's Swoopiness, perhaps that is not an issue but it would bug the Hell out of me to know that everytime a Sonata went by it would be getting better mpg's than the Optima with the same engine.
  • Options
    I want basic one with package 2. I can wait to Christmas, but are you sure Christmas is a better time than thanksgiving? Usually at Spring 2011, it will cheaper after the 2012 model come out, but I don't sure for this 2011 Sonata since it's hot selling.
  • Options
    Seems like we are looking to get the same trim & package.

I am not sure if Christmas time will be better than spring 2011, but i believe it has better deal than thanksgiving.

Have you getting any quote yet?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wrong, the NEW 2011 Optima has the same powertrains as the 2011 Sonata.

Something that IS different, however... the Sonata has enough interior volume to squeak into the EPA's large-car class. But the Optima doesn't cross that bar--it's in the mid-sized class.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Something tells me wherever you pulled data from hasn't updated info for the new Optima, but is using it from the outgoing model.
  • Options
    ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    This is the best time to buy.If you wait till spring demand will be at the highest and U will pay close to sticker. This is the 1st year of this model so 2012 will not be out until Sept 2011 with slight tweaks. I'm still on the fence between the 2.0T and the Regal Turbo but I'm sure I"ll get either one before Spring.
  • Options
    Yes, about $21000 drive out.
  • Options
    Why do you think "spring demand will be at the highest"? I am a little confused.
  • Options
    YOu are right, I got into a batch of Google this morning. The Kia engine and a/t are the same as the Sonata.

Outdated Kia site!
  • Options
    No sure if we have any luck to score that car for below $20,000 by end of this year...
  • Options
    The $18197 is from Truecar for my zip code for package 2. It provides the dealer name (Wayne Hyundai in Wayne, NJ), a contact and even states their doc fee ($399). I'll find out tomorrow if this is just another gimmick to get me in the dealership. Will post an update after.

I just came back from the dealership. The $18197 price was $1k below what they really wanted which is $19,200+$399 doc fee+$99 credit check fee+Tax+DMV fee. So it seems in my area, $19 to $19,200 is the going rate (not including TTL) for the Sonata GLS with package 2. I'm kinda bummed, thought I was gonna go home with a new car. :cry:
  • Options
    This price is ok, but I think your doc fee etc... is a little high.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Wow, they charge to run your credit. This seems like a really good deal to me. What's stopping you from buying?
  • Options
    This price is ok, but I think your doc fee etc... is a little high.

Yeah, each dealer is different here. This one charges $399, a few charge $199 but in the end, they all come out to about $19-$19,200.