Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    smuggymbasmuggymba Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2010
    I paid $24,813 on Limited with nav in New Jersey. Couldn't get them to match the $24,183 listed above, did not include the $720 destination I am pretty sure. Might have talked them down a little but had already had a long day at another dealer, who let me walk because he would not promise to pay off my trade until, "he got paid from Hyundai." That was a deal breaker for me. Trade had equity so that is not in the negotiated price.
    Good luck.

I went on ZAG.com to the "Drive your Dream Car" link and I got a quote for $26,736 for 2011 Sonata Limited with Navi + CARGO NET (CN) + CARPETED FLOOR MATS (CF) + SUNROOF WIND DEFLECTOR (WD)

I have never used ZAG.com before, I plan to buy this sonata only If I get the 24,813 or something in the neighborhood. Do I need to some member of some company to use ZAG.com.

Please guide friends. I'm from TX houston.
  • Options
    sephirothksephirothk Member Posts: 2
    What was the otd price?
  • Options
    sedanbuyer1sedanbuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    In Arizona, with $2,000.00 total cash down, a $322 monthly payment on a Sonata SE based on an MSRP of $23,930(Base MSRP of $22,595 + Tint and Sealant $1,335)? Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    toddp_5toddp_5 Member Posts: 17
    Are you saying they are charging $1,335 for tint and sealant? I just had all my windows tinted for $180, and I wouldn't pay a dime for the sealant...seems like a lot of extra profit for the dealer. Plus, that starting price is paying full MSRP. I don't know what sales are like in your area, but I would hope you could get it cheaper than MSRP.
  • Options
    ben1986ben1986 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, you do need to be a member of one those companies to get the lowered prices..and I put in a houston, tx zip code in usaa's zag program and got $26,736 too.

The prices are different in every state.. In nj, its 24,183 for the same car through the zag program...
    You can always drives to a different state to purchase it for a cheaper price. All up to you.
  • Options
    woodhill1woodhill1 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    My OTD does not really count, since I ended up leasing. The lease price was $327/month. I used this forum to get my lease price. $322 for a SE is way too high. However, the price was $24,813+$595acq+$329doc+$299title and reg. That is all you need to know to figure the rest. Doc is high but about what I found everywhere and I did not want to argue into the night. Now, ben you need to clarify the $500 military cash when you post, not everyone gets that and it makes it seem too low. Everyone keep that in mind. Our prices were about $150 different then. As for TX versus NJ, try and push them on the price, they don't know where you got it. As for the Zag.com, I have amex but no one ever asked me to prove it, I just printed the prices out and had them on the table when I was doing my discussions, actually at Honda the sales manager got up to check the price on the computer when he saw my sheets. Good luck and Carman this is a great tool. If anyone has anymore questions I will try and check back. :shades:
    By the way, I did not put any money down. Only $327 first month OTD.
  • Options
    kadenjkadenj Member Posts: 7
    correction , sorry my actual monthly is 262$ which is really nice in my pocket!!!!
  • Options
    Oh men , how did I miss your post????I just purchased a new 2011 sonata w/ PeP2 for 20988 OTD,,,,last sept. 29, I could have saved more,,,,you did good,,,congrats,,,,anyway I still feel good about my purchased though,,,I'm lovi'n it ,,,,
  • Options
    baliboybaliboy Member Posts: 3
    Could you please tell me the name of the dealership you got your Sonata from, and City, State and the tax rate there? I am looking for a Sonata in Northern California. Your info. can be used as a basis for comparison. BTW, what is PeP2? Also, does your car come with any special features that you got extra or paid for? I am also assuming your car is an automatic, right?
  • Options
    baliboybaliboy Member Posts: 3
    Could you please give me the name of the dealer, city and state where you got your Sonata from? What is the sales tax rate there? Thanks.
  • Options
    zoomzoomnomorezoomzoomnomore Member Posts: 1
    Addtl options: Nav igation, sunroof, carpets, wheel locks, mud flaps.

23500.... OTD 24700.
    I used zag.com
  • Options
    Try texan hyundai it's a new dealership I think they're building up a good reputation to get known, they're pretty straight forward, call the internet manager (she) I am not allowed to disclosed names!!! best of luck,,,
  • Options
    pcardozpcardoz Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,
    I was just shopping around of the 2011 Sonata SE with Nav. I was being offered it for $ 25,826 (Out the door price) in Illinois. Anyone get it for anything less in the IL area?
  • Options
    cubsfan3cubsfan3 Member Posts: 3
    I've been shopping for a while and that sounds like a good price, especially if it's Chicago taxes.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    How about breaking it down for those of us out of Illinois? Car + Fees + Taxes = Out the door price.

That'd be helpful, thanks! :)
  • Options
    pcardozpcardoz Member Posts: 2
    Cost of the SE with Nav - $23,571
    Transfer title - $148
    Taxes (Dupage county) - $2107
    Total (Out the Door Price) - $ 25826

Thanks for all your inputs
  • Options
    cubsfan3cubsfan3 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    For car man or anyone else that knows -

I see quoted here the MF and resid for a 3 yr / 15 k lease - what if I want a shorter or longer term, and fewer miles? Specifically, I'd like to know the exact #s for lease tlengths between 24-48 months, and 10,12.5, or 15 k miles - if it matters, Chicago area

Thanks, D
  • Options
    123_car123_car Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know about price or Trims available for Sonata Hybrid? I heard it will be availble in December with Base and Premium trims (with $1300.00 federal Tax Credit until December 31st, 2010) Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    pcgeek86pcgeek86 Member Posts: 72
    edited October 2010
    I'd like to see some numbers for the turbo Limited with Nav. I'm considering trading in my 2.4I (silver, Limited, non-Nav) for the 2.0T. Sitting at the dealer now to see if they had a test drive turbo, but they sold the only one they had. Expecting more soon - I really hope off-the-line torque is better. The 2.4I doesn't have enough "pull."
  • Options
    oats1jvooats1jvo Member Posts: 2
    Any recommended dealers?
  • Options
    mikebztmikebzt Member Posts: 44
    I am a fan of Towne Hyundai
  • Options
    dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    test drove one last nite in the bay area. I had previously looked at the 2.4, but it did not have enough engine for my tastes.

The 2.0 shocked me off the line, Had to take a left out of dealership across threee lanes of traffic into a turn lane...I said holy......when I took off. The acceleration is fantastic.

Unfortunately, I was driving during rush hour, so I did not take it onto the freeway. Plan on doing so soon. However, it seems there is only one dealership in the bay area that has any of these vehicles at the present time.
  • Options
    emcee99emcee99 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    22,016 purchase price (floor mats and mud guards are the only options)
    389 processing fee
    672.15 VA tax
    44.81 Dealer license tax
    63.00 ?
    ---------------
    23,184.96 Total
    -500.00 current Hyundai owner (2001 elantra - 171K miles and still strong) rebate
    ---------------
    22,684.96 OTD ;)

usaa (zag.com) pricing

How did we do?

Fairfax Hyundai - Fairfax VA
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    The MSRP is 29,865 and the invoice is 27,897. Through zag.com, non turbo models of the limited can be gotten at over 3400 under MSRP. The limited turbo as well as the Kia Optima EX turbo and Kia Optima SX are the three cars on my short list to buy right before years end.
  • Options
    sridefendersridefender Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I'm buying my first car.

I received this deal from one of the dealer in Tampa. The prices as follows:
    Vehicle: 2011 Sonata 2.4 Limited + Nav + Optional Accessories = $24,866 (includes destination fee and regional add fee)
    Tax: 7%
    New Tag: ?
    Doc fee: $599

Finally the dealer gave me the OTD price of $27,300

Is it really a better price?
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    That doc fee is obscene.
  • Options
    Actually the dealer quoted at $27,950. After negotiation on phone, he came to $27,300. I think he reduced (or removed) doc fee.

Anyway is it good price? Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    emcee99emcee99 Member Posts: 4
    A great price would be about $24,000 before TTL and it looks like you are only about $866 over that. You are also about $2000 below invoice at that point. I think it's a good price.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    I personally think it is a little high still...check with Fitzgerald, online to see their prices in Clearwater. Just another dealer to check. You need all the help you can get when trying to get a good deal.
    van
  • Options
    I just took the car. Here is the best deal that I received:

Total car price: 2011 Sonata Limited with Nav and all optional accessories: $23,902
    Total car price with All fees: $26,600

I think, I can negotiate to $26k. But due to lack of patience, I took the vehicle with $26,600

I can sure, next buyer may ask the dealer for $26k
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Down here in Florida, most dealers charge this same fee...obscene? Absolutely, but that's the price of admission I guess. I always aim for an OTD price and let them plug in the numbers the way they want. OTD is the price I care about.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    ming2ming2 Member Posts: 17
    Did you end up buying? What dealer in Dupage Co. I'm in Roselle. Think I'm going to try the Costco buying club.
  • Options
    I was quoted through zag a price of 24,233 for the limited turbo with carpets and mud flaps, which has a MSRP of 27,950, so 3717 off of sticker seems to be extremely good. Has anyone seen a better price out there?
  • Options
    abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    "I was quoted through zag a price of 24,233 for the limited turbo with carpets and mud flaps, which has a MSRP of 27,950, so 3717 off of sticker"

RUN to the dealer & grab that deal; it will be a long time before you see a Ltd. Turbo sell for $3717 off MSRP.
  • Options
    slimpilotslimpilot Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me where you are able to find a 2011 Sonata for 3700 below MSRP. The best I've been able to find is 600 below invoice on any model excluding the Turbo.
  • Options
    zirconxzirconx Member Posts: 2
    Did the price of the new 2011's go much higher than the older model?

I have an 09 and am thinking about getting a 2011, but the prices I'm reading about on here are way higher than what I paid. I paid $19,200 for an SE V6 with the option package. I think the MSRP was around 25-26k. Now it looks like everyone is paying much closer to MSRP?

Mine was a demo car with 4k miles on it, I'm sure thats part of why I got such a good deal. I was hoping to pay close to that for an 2011 Turbo but it looks like that will never happen. My model (SE V6) is the higher output engine so I just assumed the higher output engine model of the 2011 would cost around the same, but it looks like I'm looking at around $5-6k more, right?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Did the price of the new 2011's go much higher than the older model?

Yes. The new design is proving to be much more popular than the prior generation, leading to lesser discounts and rebates. And of course, a demo with 4K miles will cost less than a new car with 3 miles on it.

Why trade a 2-year-old car? Is it worn out already? Personally, I really liked the 2009 SE, with the 5-spoke wheels.
  • Options
    The quote was the equivalent of 1900 below invoice....in the Philadelphia Pa area. The best non turbo limited with mats and flaps I found was 22,546 in Maryland.
  • Options
    29,865 is the MSRP for the limited turbo with nav and through zag, I was quoted 25,996.
  • Options
    zirconxzirconx Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Why trade a 2-year-old car? Is it worn out already? Personally, I really liked the 2009 SE, with the 5-spoke wheels.

Agreed, I like the wheels. :) But I'm not super impressed with the suspension, or the drivetrain lag in my '09. The I4 has much better throttle response. Driving the V6 is kind of like driving a rubber band car. You push the gas and nothing happens, then half a second later it snaps forward. Its very hard to drive the car aggressively without spinning the tires.

I've ridden in a 2011 a few times, the suspension is much improved, and I'm hoping the throttle response is also. But it sounds like its going to cost me about 6 grand more than I paid for my '09, so I will probably end up keeping it.
  • Options
    jjjj263jjjj263 Member Posts: 8
    I am from Ohio went to a dealer to buy new 2011 Sonata limited wt Nav. according to him the OTD price will be 31,273 USD :mad: for 2011 Sonata limited wt Nav.

Can any know what is the invoice price of 2011 Sonata limited wt Nav ??
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited November 2010
    REF: 7418
    MSRP 29865
    Avg paid 28870
    INVOICE 27897
    Dealer cost 27023
    Best: 26897 (164 miles from Dayton)
    truecar dot com
    Prepare to pay more, wait, or walk for the highly desirable TURBO model!
  • Options
    talkintribetalkintribe Member Posts: 16
    I love my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. My brother in law wants to buy a new Toyota Camry. The Sonata is the comparable Hyundai model, right? Can anyone give me a quick cliff notes on why the sonata is better? Is the pricing similar?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Styling
    Power (esp. with I4 vs. I4)
    Fuel economy
    Warranty
    Standard features e.g. Bluetooth
  • Options
    That price is way out of whack.....the zag confirmed quote for Cleveland Ohio with zip code 44114 is 26,897 for the limited turbo with nav. This is NOT including tax, tags, and doc fees. So, your quote is about 2400 or so too high.
  • Options
    jjjj263jjjj263 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you soo much for the reply. I got the same from Zag.com. but I am wondering can we take the Zag.com price to any Hyundai dealer to start the bargain ?

if yes any tip and tricks ?? :)
  • Options
    of course you can take the Zag pricing to another dealer; in fact it is to your advantage to take it to a dealer that does NOT participate in Zag, because if you take it to Zag-participating dealers you've already lost $300 of your bargaining room
    (that's because that is how much Zag charges the selling Zag dealer for the Zag lead.)
    Same with the other lead-generating sites, who "pretend" to give you a big price advantage when you take the "referral" to the dealers that are participating in their program.

I have mentioned this numerous times on these forums: "Save an additional $300 and DON'T buy your vehicle through one of these lead-generating services." At least not within 3 months of getting the referral.
    Or use a fake name/address when getting your Zag referral; and be sure to use this bargaining power with the dealer when getting down to nitty-gritty pricing. i.e. that you have NOT used Zag or Costco or Sams or TrueCar or Yahoo or one of the many lead-generating sites out there that'll add $300 to their costs. Hyundai's own site is okay to use, to get any info about the model you want. Also Consumer Reports' own pricing service, which YOU pay for and not the dealer (as is the case with Zag et al) is probably the best fifteen bucks you'll ever spend in your car-buying search: no hidden agenda or motives, no b.s.; just the up-to-date facts about what the car really costs the dealer.
    I am not associated with CR nor am I a shill for them; just an experienced new-car buyer with close friends in the industry.

It is just amazing to me when I read these forums, how much money customers leave on the table yet walk away thinking they got the deal of a lifetime. Well .... good for them, I guess: a happy owner is ultimately the goal, eh? . _ And good for the car dealers too, who need some healthy margins (profit) after these last few years of drought.

Most important: enjoy your car once you drive it off the lot, and don't continue to price-search afterwards: you'll just diminish the enjoyment when you learn how many thousands you overpaid.
  • Options
    dsmudsmu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all these details, I registered just to respond to your post as I've been on the fence about paying the extra $13 for Consumer Reports Car Pricing subscription.

I'm currently considering buying a 2011 Sonata (GLS w/PEP2) and assuming I sign up for CR and I get the dealer cost for the vehicle and all the options I want, how close should I shoot for negotiating with the dealer to the cost I find on CR? (i.e. within 5% of cost? 10% of cost? etc.)

From what I've read, it seems like 20,000-21,000 seems to be the going rate for OTD price on my model and options, but I don't want to not ask and run the risk of overpaying. First time new car buyer here and would be very grateful for any insight you can provide along these lines.
  • Options
    one of the biggest mistakes made by car buyers is fear of insulting the dealer with an offer; also, thinking that there's some kind of urgency in accepting the deal you've been offered.
    And various dealers play this against you, sensing a customer is afraid to stick to a certain price or customer's reluctance to make an "insulting" offer.
    If you get the custom quote from CR, they give you help with how to use it, too.
    Really, if you're spending over twenty grand, why not spend a few bucks for a tool that will help you get the best possible price?

Remember, there's NEVER any reason to "feel sorry for" the salesperson or the dealer: they have ALL of the factors in their favor from the start, and they'll do just fine, even if you manage to buy the car at absolute, actual, true dealer cost. and don't forget that the salesman of record will get an extra nice little spiff directly from Hyundai if you answer Hyundai's post-sale questionaire about the salesman with 100% satisfaction scores. So even if he/she doesn't make a single dime of commission from your transaction, they'll STILL do fine with the bonus that comes directly from Hyundai.
    Just don't be afraid of hearing "Don't be ridiculous" or "No possible way" or "we'll have other customers willing to pay more." Remember, these people are SKILLED at what they do and experts in getting YOU to pay the highest possible price. Also remember this is a comodity that's availble at dozens of retailers within a few hours' drive; and all it takes is one.
  • Options
    123_car123_car Member Posts: 2
    Mr jjjj263: I have been offered $26,400.00 for Sonata Limited with Navigation Package and ALL the features available in Pearl white/ Camel including Taxes,Title Docs and EVERYTHING. I recommend you aim for $23,500.00 before taxes/Title!!!! Money comes by lot of hard work, do not let it go that easy!!!