Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Vibration / Noise GMC truck 1999

Comments

• Options
    lch0lch0 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 GMC SIERRA SLT Z71 that has the same feeling in the steering column as my 1962 GMC. I find the annoying clunk and looseness at all speeds whether going forward or backwards. I have found this problem to be worse in the mornings when the vehicle is cold. I have gone to my selling dealer and they say they can't reproduce the problem and that this is normal for the speed sensative steering. This is a cop out in my opinion because they don't know what's wrong. I also noticed a lot of noise emitting from the rear suspension when traveling over slightly bumpy roads. I put on some Hellwig helper springs for some rear aid on the weak springs and it doesn't make noise anymore. Some Help on the front end looseness would be appreciated because it's starting to make me hate a pickup I spend a lot of time in. Vehicle was purchased in April of 99 and has approximately 18,700 mile on the odometer with 595 hrs.
  • Options
    chester20chester20 Member Posts: 3
    I had my steering shaft replaced today and it seems to have cured the popping noise in the steering wheel and column.

Part #26083324
    Description-Shaft 6.524

Good Luck
  • Options
    jones34jones34 Member Posts: 9
    Get your steering shaft replaced with shaft #26083324. I found out about this on this forum and had it taken care of at my dealership. It cured the problem 100%. This is an obvious problem in certain vehicles and needs to be fixed. Yours wasn't made at the Ft Wayne plant in late 1998 was it?
  • Options
    I meant to say Pontiac, Michigan plant in the previous post. Anyway, you tell your dealer what is wrong then tell them how to fix it-with the previously mentioned steering shaft. It may be on national back order, however. Mine was and took about fifteen days to get here. That is an obvious hint that there are many others out there with the same problem.
  • Options
    chester20chester20 Member Posts: 3
    I had my steering shaft replaced on the 18th and it cured the problem. Thanks for the info you posted. It was only after some more hassle though. After I waited for 20 days for the part to come in and left my truck on the 18th all day to be fixed, I arrived at the Chevy dealer only to find out that the shaft would not fit. To say the least I was not a happy camper. I told them to show me what the problem was--wrong part ordered? wrong part shipped? Why it wouldn't fit?-- I looked at the part and told them I wasn't a mechanic but that the part resembled the other shaft and out of the blue the mechanic said ohhhh mannn! I had the part upside down. Do you want me to go ahead and fix it? I told them that since I had waited 20 days for the part and left the truck all day --hitched rides etc.-- that I guess I do want you to put it on. I told the servicemanagerthat they should consider putting me on the payroll, not for my knowledge as a mechanic but that people were beginning to think I was employed there since I was at the dealership constantly.
    The clunking noise in rear of the truck has been corrected for the "time being" by replacing the transmission fluid to a new type.
    FP-Number 12378508 Decription Fluid 808
    With all of this said, I can honestly say as of Nov. 18, 1999 my truck is running correctly for the first time since I have owned it (March). I wonder if I'm supposed to be satisfied, happy or just an idiot for putting up with it for so long
  • Options
    jeffthrojeffthro Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2000 Sierra Extended Cab with a 3.42 rear end and 4.8L engine. After sending it to the dealer service center 4 times for vibration et.al., I began to investigate the highway speed vibration. My opinion is that the truck frame is flexing to a point where it is causing the bed of the truck to move up and down causing reverberations from the bed to the front cab. I noticed this by viewing the bed of the truck in the rear view mirror while driving at a constant highway speed of 70mph on an open highway. Adding weight IN THE CAB (~500-600 lbs.) seems to make a big difference as the bed does not appear to bounce up and down, almost like it stops the frame from flexing therefore reducing vibrations. All of us with this problem should verify and report results. I am not an engineer but do know about chassis bending moments on tube steel. I will be taking my truck to a chassis shop next week and they will run truck on a drum driving device to simulate driving conditions at various speeds. Only costs $42 so I feel it is well worth it.

Jeff
  • Options
    ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    Let us know the outcome. I too have wondered about this same thing. Not sure if it is frame flex or the 2 stage leaf springs. The leafs seem very soft initially. I have heard of others saying the tires have to be perfect, otherwise any imperfection is transmitted throughout the truck. This may help explain why some have problems and some don't. Could also help explain why the added weight helped your vibration.

I had a problem with my 2000 GMC ext cab 2wd with hopping at about 40 to 45 mph. Like a tire out of round. Sure enough the dealer said one was and replaced it. Its better but not perfect yet.

I also think there is something to this rack and pinion story. If you crawl underneath the truck and using a screwdriver, you will notice that the mounting bushings that hold the rack to the frame are very soft or loose fitting. They allow a lot of flexing in the unit. I have never compared it to other vehicle designs, not sure how much play they have. Later.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    On my once beloved '73 Datsun 240Z, I had the same slop where the rack mechanism bolted to the frame. It was after I took the slop out with some shims, that it instantly developed a steering wheel shimmy that no balance or tire-make could ever completely eliminate.

Of course what I was after when I put the shims in, was to "tighten" up the steering for more road feel. It certainly did that. But it made me wonder if it was mounted loose in the bushings intentionally to compensate for an inherent lack of damping.

A steering dampener, if one could be fitted, could be an excellent solution. That idea has been suggested here before, but one was not available. That may have changed by now.
  • Options
    The flex you think you see, is more likely to be the bed, or cab twisting on the rubber bushings which attach them to the frame.

A frame is stiff, but there is a small amount of designed in flex, to return road feel and feedback. Former F1 motorcycle champion Eddie Lawson recounted when Yamaha actually had the frame of his race bike too stiff, he lost some of the road transmitted feedback.

A harmonic vibration can originate one place, and show up somewhere else. It's the overall combination that makes the result. Sometimes by changing just one contributing factor, like a wheelbase dimension, or driveshaft length, these Silverados, Sierras/Tundras become different trucks, even within the same family.
  • Options
    These are valid points. Let's keep getting input and we all can help solve this vibration issue hopefully. Thanks for the comments

Jeff
  • Options
    lawlertlawlert Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the input about the steering shaft. My dealer gladly replaced it after I showed him a number of these web site responses. I must say they have been very responsive to my requests. As of this moment in time my truck is 100% from front to rear (14,000 mi.) Thanks again! (Was told yesterday not to expect 4 drs. until summer or next model year).
  • Options
    bryanmccallbryanmccall Member Posts: 1
    Most of this topic was really helpful.....until you get to the last part. Some of these people probably don't even own Chevy's. Ford Propaganda. My 99 has the rear end whine on occasion, but that is it. I haven't had any other problems(crossing my fingers). I drive my truck hard. Very hard. I think GM has a good product here. However, there will always be first model year bugs. You should expect that from any Automobile Company.
  • Options
    What part do you think is propaganda? It certainly isn't the part about the steering shaft problem because I know for a fact that replacing it corrected the problem. Please be more specific instead of generalizing as much as you did. I've owned five new K1500's in the last five years and this is by far the most problem prone vehicle of the bunch. In fact I can't remember having any of them in for warranty work until this one. My new one has been in four times and is going in Weds. for a service engine soon light staying on.
  • Options
    bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Anyone else get the Trans/Transfer case fluid change and see a difference in the driveline clunk. I just called my dealer with the part number mentioned above and he had not heard of this for the Silverado's but is checking into it. Does any one know if there is a bulletin number available for this fix and is it the Transmission fluid, or really the transfer case fluid that is beinbg changed? Transfer case fluid seems more likely to me.
  • Options
    tglabtglab Member Posts: 10
    I had experienced a clunk-rattle type of noise after going over a bump. I checked everything, but couldn't find the problem. My brother in law helped me isolate the noise to the rear end and then after we crawled under the truck we discovered the source. The leaf springs had bent and the overload spring was too close to the regular leafs. You could make the noise by kicking against the overload spring which caused it to strike against the springs above it. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed that the springs were obviously bent and replace them no questions asked. The problem has disappeared.

The truck has never been overloaded. The max payload I've hauled is about 500-600 pounds. I believe that the material used to make the springs is inferior and expect that better aftermarket springs would solve the problem permanently.
  • Options
    davek3davek3 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 99 silverado 3/4 ton ex cab long bed 4x4 trailer pakage 373 locker rear auto/w autotrack skid plates and firm ride suspention pakage. At about 5500 miles i started to get "rattle' under certain loads.. it sounded like a bunch of tin cans in my exhaust.. took it into the dealer they replaced the exhaust and it went away. Now at 13,000 miles its back. Anyone else notice this or know what the problem is?? This is the only problem i had with the truck.. It runs and drives like a dream.. Ya gotta put the cruise on when your on the interstate.. othewise your going 95 and don't know it..(and that damn chip that cuts the motor at 98 is coming out!! )
  • Options
    gl3gl3 Member Posts: 31
    I had two anti-clunk seals, the "blue fluid"
    twice,new ujoints, new springs, new 1/4 glass and
    frame, numerous interior repairs and finally got
    the problems fixed.....I traded it on a new Impala
    LS....not a single problem...yet
  • Options
    f150ownerf150owner Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra SLT Ext Cab 2wd w/5.3. I had very bad wind noise coming from my rear driver's quarter window. It sounded like the window was slightly open, even with the latch shut tight. It was loud.

I took the truck to the dealer and they mentioned that they had seen this all too often. They mentioned that they would order me a window and would call me when it arrived. A month later, still no part. I then went to the dealer to speak with the service manager. According to them, the new quarter window was on backorder. Some windows for other customers had been on back order for months. That didn't sound right to me. I spent my hard earned money on a fancy rig and they can't get a part, even after a month? Something was up.

I called GMC customer service the next day and explained the problem. I even pointed out the TSB for the 1999 models for this same problem. GMC then called the dealer to speak to the svc mgr and called me back. The dealer opened a "SPAC" case or something like that. It means that a part is needed urgently. The GMC cust svc rep called a service parts facility the next day to arrange priority parts shipment to my dealer for my new window. A week later, my part arrives, and is installed. No wind noise now. I can drive without shouting to my wife.

What I learned from all this (from the GMC Cust Svc guy) is that a union strike at one of the truck plants producing the new trucks stopped the line for a long time. Now the strike is over. Orders for 1999 2500 series trucks are being produced now. Anyone who ordered a 99 2500 series truck during the strike or shutdown will get a 2000 2500 body style truck for the same price. I believe there are multiple plants churning out the new body style truck presently. All use the same quarter window design coming from only one supplier. All newly redesigned quarter windows are going straight to the line with little or no allocation for service parts. At least this is the story I was told. For what it's worth.

My next problem: a severe water leak in the cab. I saw a drop of water one day in the 3rd door area on the carpet. I popped the trim, lifted up the carpet and the matting under the carpet was soaked under the entire passenger side of the "hump" including under the passenger front seat. I mean it was dripping wet and had soured.

I reported this to the dealer. They said they fixed it but didn't even look at it I found out. Having to leave on a camping trip the next night, I was determined to find the problem that night. I pulled all the trim out, took out the rear seat, removed the seat belt bolts and had my wife spray water on the exterior of the cab. The leak was in the corner of the cab at the 3rd door. I have no idea how water could come in at that joint but there it was. Some silicon took care of the leak. I found out later, there is a TSB on this.

I also found out after the fact that my right front fender had been repainted before I took delivery. They did a good job, but the coloration is slightly noticable during mid day. It is not worth having them repaint it. The dealer claimed no knowledge of this. My truck is Pewter. Anyone else had this happen?

Now, am I happy? Yes and no. I believe that GM has some quality and design issues. Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    The following is a copy of my post from another bulletin board:

I took my 2000 Sierra xtcab to an independent mechanic a few days ago for a second opinion on my 45 and 60-70mph vibrations. He proceeded to test drive the truck and then put the truck on the rack. He physically showed me how loose the drive shaft is at the carrier bearing and he stated that a loose drive shaft at this point would cause vibrations. He seemed to think that this is or may be a cause of the vibration. It is worth a shot as it requires less than one hour labor and the price of the carrier bearing/assembly. I will request that he put it in writing so that I can have some leverage when dealing with the GM AVM. He also stated that it is well known that the Goodyear Wrangler ST's are very difficult to get and keep balanced through the life of the tire. I plan on negotiating a cost difference for a better grade tire like Michelin. I'll let you know how things turn out....probably after the New Year.

Jeff
  • Options
    jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    I have the rear end clunk. It started at about 1500 miles and they changed out the fluid to some synthetic fluid that would take about 500 miles to clear the problem. Sure enough about 500 miles later it was gone. Then at about 8000
    miles it was back worse than ever. When I came to a stop and went to take off the truck didn't move until all of a sudden I would get a big bang in the rear end and it would take off. Next time I took it in the dealer greased the rear end and the big bang stopped but now I have cluncks (at very low speed) when I slow down or start to take off again. The noise sould like bad U joints like some others have stated. I may be wrong but this does not sound like spring noise as some have said? I have also had the windhield problem repaired. Just recently had the engine ping start.
    Quad have you had the rear end clunking noise? I not any ideas? This problem is very annoying.
  • Options
    Meant to say got any ideas?
  • Options
    ALL (jxyoung)- I have the same annoying clunk you mention. I have been waiting for 2 months for the new fluid for the transfer case someone else mentioned and it is on backorder. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't fix your clunk, as it appears it did fix some others. I agree it doesn't sound or feel like a spring noise and I'm getting extremly annoyed with it, almost to the point of swapping it for a different type of vehicle till GM gets it's problems fixed. At times mine is so noticeable that you'd think something in the bed was rolling around or the enitre rear axle is shifting back and forth.

I had the steering wheel clunk as well and the new steering shaft did fix that problem, but other than these annoyances I do like the truck.
  • Options
    Mine is slight, and only occasional. If I'm backing up a hill, under a bit of strain, put the brake on, and then shift into drive, I may hear some then. Ordinary driving I don't notice any.

If you crawl under the truck on your back, you can grip the driveshaft with your hands, and rotate it back and forth to feel how much free play exists, and get a feel for where the majority of it is located. If it's in the U-joints, you will know. Probably isn't.

Johnny,
    Yours sounds like it could be too much play between the pinion and ring gear. Not really an issue of reliability. There may be shims they can add to get rid of some of the play. The shim adjusts the lateral position of the ring gear, putting it in tighter contact with the pinion. An extreme pressure EP grease may also help on the driveshaft splines where it goes into the transfer case, or transmission end housing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, I will check it out.
  • Options
    gmcjunkgmcjunk Member Posts: 1
    my 99 gmc has brake problems and my dealer won't believe it. i have had it to be repaired, the ebcm and master cylinder both have been changed, but my brakes stii pull to rt and go to the floor. who can i contact to fix this problem before i hava a accident. the dealer is hamon bay area gmc, buick, jeep, pontiac in texas city, texas. i need help.
  • Options
    mechanic451mechanic451 Member Posts: 2
    all answers are valid the most overlooked vibration on this 99 silverado 4300 is that between 1400 and 1600 rpm you will feel a slight
    shudder or vibration, put it in neutral or park and race the engine at between 1400 and 1600 rpm and you will find the same shudder but slight because the vehicle is not under a load, 25 years of twisting a wrench and I still can't believe that gm has not figured out how to balance a v-6 engine , all others vibrations posted here are valid but the dealer doesn't want you to know that the engine has a balance problem, it is a common problem with all gm v-6 engines, they will try to change your driveshaft angle with spring ajustments and varius other things, have tried to
    have 4300 engine balanced for this , and it just is impossible, other then this it's a great performing engine, don't mistake this for the other problem of overdrive early shift causing a
    lugging vibration.
  • Options
    cpqehjcpqehj Member Posts: 1
    mechanic 451 i got the 4.3 and a severe vibration mainly when lugging in overdrive.one mechanic told me its the counter balance they threw in the newer 4.3.took it to original dealer and he thinks its a kinked egr tube.personally i think he just tried to stick a pacifier in my mouth.after he puts the new tube in and it doesn't work then i have to start taking some kind of action .i cant believe that they can just tell you theres no fix yet and to just sit tight.this vibration is just to bad.so you believe that it is the motor?
  • Options
    mechanic451mechanic451 Member Posts: 2
    as for your lugging, what they have to do is to recalibrate the transmission shift pattern, what is happening is that the transmission at least for the one i have will shift into overdrive at very low speeds 30-35mph this is to low and will cause lugging and vibration, it should be shifting into overdrive between 45 to 50 mph, if you have ever driven a standard shift vehicle and had it in the wrong gear you know what im talking about , the rpm for the gear that you are in is way to low, same deal with an automatic ,it's shifting into overdrive to soon for the engine rpm, unfortunately i'm in the business 24years now and until gm itself comes up with the repair bulletins for the dealers we are all stuck in the same boat, even worse for me since i moved to central fla. 4 years ago , own an auto repair business they still can't give me an answer as to when they will be able to repair this problem. the other vibration 1400 to 1600 is very slight on my vehicle and most people dont even notice it, but i know it's there, what your probably going to find out is that you will end up knowing more then the dealer, no mechanic worth a salt would ever be caught working in a dealership, the real work usually starts after the warranty runs out and believe me they can't fix them. see ya next time.
  • Options
    soccer10soccer10 Member Posts: 3
    I am currently looking to purchase a new 2500. I
    have read through all the comments and discussion
    and am having a hard time determing if the
    vibration and other driveline problems are just
    1500's or do they also affect the 2500. If I find
    the problems are not with the 2500 I will continue
    to find my dream truck.
  • Options
    wanderer1_2wanderer1_2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 GMC seirra 4x4 with the drivetrain growl/grinding/vibration at40m.p.h. and above. My first trip to the dealer resulted in the "blue fluid" experiment with no luck. Second trip,they replaced my whole transfer case.Again no luck.Third trip they replaced just about every moving part in my front differential.The noise seems to have quieted down somewhat, but is still there.Will have to drive a while to see if it increases. Since I have had no other problems with this truck,(9500 miles) I am considering negotiating an extended warranty at no cost to me to see if this noise develops into anything serious, since the drivability and handling of the truck were not affected in any way by this noise. Since there seems to be no fix at this time according to the posts i read here, do you think this is an acceptable approach?
  • Options
    leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    I have a '99 chevy Z-71...
    the rear end noise i believe that i have is the same that ya'll are talking about..if you stop at a stop light and go, it kind of clunks and you can actually feel it. and also when you stop kind of fast to a complete stop it'll clunk.

I have taken it to the dealership, too many times and really am tired of it

the first time they told me it was some sorta rubber bushing on the springs making the noise when you started moving because right away when you move the springs do a small twist or move some..then the next thing they told me was the tires were rubbing on something...the last thing that theyve told me is that the splines or something have slack and that they all do this

each time they lube up the truck and it works GREAT for like three or four days then the lube wears off and here it is again

not really a big thing but extremely annoying and embarrassing when your at a stop sign and take off and CLUNK..you can hear it.

Ive had some other things that theyve fixed like the steering column had a small vibration in it..they ordered some kind of bushing and siliconed or some kind of sealant and now its fine

I have some small rattles that need to be gone, because they are just plain annoying.

This truck is a running machine, even the service department comments on how well it runs
  • Options
    dougb8dougb8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 4wd/auto Silverado that makes a pinging/tinning/rattling sound between 55 & 60 mph while going up "slight" 10-15% grades. It's peculiar. Dealership replaced muffler & catalytic converter but it still makes the sound under the same conditions. They said they would look @ a possible issue w/the fuel line but haven't heard back. Any thoughts from anyone?
  • Options
    royb3royb3 Member Posts: 6
    I have the 2500 series silverado, same as gmc only looks slightly different. I have a driveline vibration problem in mine and gm wont even try to fix it. Their official posture is,, " it's characteristic of the truck, normal, within gm specs ". Anybody with even a small amount of common sense knows this is bulls**t. Lately I have heard that the official response has changed to, " they are working on a fix ". Wonder why you haven't been able to place an order for a 3/4 ton truck in almost 4 months?
    Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Anyway, after 3 months of jumping up and down on the dealer and gm, and after getting a lawyer involved, I finally got a buyback. Total load of crap to have to go through just because gm can't be honest and admit they have a problem. Specs. on my vehicle are: 2500 series 2000 silverado 3 door extended cab, 2 WD, short bed. Equipped with the LT package, vortec 6000 v8, HD autotrans w/OD, HD suspension, trailer towing package, 410 locking rear.
    Chances are pretty good that by time you receive your truck, if you order it, they will have the bugs worked out, HOPEFULLY. You will be getting the 4 door model, 3 door not built anymore. I just checked yesterday and the 3 dealers in my area still haven't got allocations for 3/4 ton trucks. Cross your fingers.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    what type of driveline vibration? I thought all the vibrations were limited to the 1500's and not the 2500's. More so on 2000 models. I could understand if yours was a '99 but not on a '00. Oh well, learn something new everyday. What brand of truck are you looking at to replace the Silverado? or are you going to give it another chance...
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    are you our there? You aren't one of those Chevy bashing Ford drivers are you? Just askin...
  • Options
    leathal02 - GM has a fix for the spring noise/clunk. The local GM dealer just installed the new rubber caps on mine and my friends truck and so far it seems to have fixed the noise.

They go over the springs with the pads on them now (2nd of third form the bottom) and are quite a bit thicker. If you need the number let me know and I'll dig it up off the repair record. Between that and the new special transfer case fluid it has eliminated almost all my problems.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I had that same problem on my 88 Ext. Cab 2WD long box, I just cut some 3/16 thick rubber floor mats into 4" strips and placed between the noise making leafs & problem resolved, maybe I should have sold the idea to GM,I would have made a killin!

Ray T.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    2WD Shortbox Ext. Cab is noise, shake, shimmie, rattle free so far but then again it is only 4 days old w/just 200 miles on it. I am gonna remain optomistic at this point as far as the problems that others have unfortunately come upon.

Ray T.
  • Options
    chayschays Member Posts: 2
    MY 99 GMC SEIRRA HAS THE SAME VIBRATION. I'VE BEEN TO THE DEALER 4 OR 5 TIMES. THE LAST TIME THEY PUT A WEIGHT ON THE EXHAUST (WHICH IF ANY THING, MADE IT WORSE) WY VIBRATION IS AT 1000 RPM NOT OVER AND NOT UNDER BUT IT DOES SEEM TO COME FROM THE EXHAUST. THE DEALER SAID THAT THE WEIGHT WORKS ON THE V-8 MOTORS BUT NOT THE V-6. I'M GETTING REAL FRUSTRATED WITH THIS PROBLEM. SO IF ANYONE KNOWS IF THIS CAN BE DEEMED A LEMON LET ME KNOW
  • Options
    team2joeteam2joe Member Posts: 4
    I am having my truck bought back now because of vibration problems. What you need to do is call the customer service number that is in the back of your owners manual and tell them that you have gave the dealer 4 trys to fix it and that at this point you want your vehical bought back since they cant fix it. This will start the process and they will begin more serious attemps to fix it or they will consider the buy back option. give this step a couple of weeks if your not satisfiyed at this time then file with the GM bbb arbitration. The info on this is in the back of your manual also. Good luck!
  • Options
    chayschays Member Posts: 2
    THANKS I'LL TRY THAT NEXT
  • Options
    lneillneil Member Posts: 9
    I talked to a dealer yesterday and they said GM finally posted a Service bulletin on the
    shudder in the GM New trucks.

So check with your dealers... You paid a ton for
    sub-par vehicles.
  • Options
    sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    Anyone out there having trouble with a 2500?
    I saw one posting but he did not respond back.
    I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Sierra 2500 4x4 extended cab shortbed.
    Any info is appreciated!!!
  • Options
    akmarkakmark Member Posts: 4
    I have a five month old 99 with same specs as you're interested in. So far, almost 20,000 mi. no problems with vibration of any kind. I live in Alaska where the roads will make it rattle and vibrate if it isn't built pretty tight. So my advice GO FOR IT!! It is one sweet truck to drive, Dodge and Ford don't come close to the comfort and smooth power.
    Mark
  • Options
    st33st33 Member Posts: 3
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but...

From what I've been reading lately, I'm having a
    hard time trying to figure out if GM finally got
    their vibration problems fixed for the 2000 Sierra
    model. It seems that most of the vibration problems
    have been on the 1999s. Anyone know if the 2000
    1500 Sierras have the same number of vibration
    problems??? Is it just the 1500 or does the 2500
    also have it??? Thought I read a fix date of March
    somewhere??? Any info would help. Thanks.
  • Options
    marcmarc Member Posts: 21
    Anyone have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the left front area when going about 20 mph turning? I first noticed mine when it snowed and I was driving slow over the frozen slush.
  • Options
    mglacymglacy Member Posts: 4
    I have a rattle in the front when turning at about 45degrees going 30to 45mph. Mine clunks in the steering column though.. I'm going in for 15k service soon.. so we'll see what they have to say.
  • Options
    einsteinalberteinsteinalbert Member Posts: 5
    The clunk is cured by applying GM grease 12345879
    (no I did not make up that part number) to the sliding spline portion of the driveshaft. No other grease works. It costs $30 for a pint can but you can beg a little from the mechanic at your local dealership. It is a pale yellow. There is a bulletin about it, 92-265-7A, formerly 91-242-7A. I also recommend, while you have the driveshaft out, slightly rounding the corners of the spline teeth.

Pulling to one side can be caused by front brake
    hoses that are delaminating inside. If there is no visible or obvious problems with bad wheel
    bearings, scored rotors, seized up caliper slides,
    then replace both right and left hoses (cheap to
    do) before doing any other (usually expensive)
    work.

Albert Einstein
  • Options
    thompson10thompson10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 GMC SLT 2WD Ext. cab with a 5.3 and a 343 rear-end. I have had a vibration problem start at about 500 miles. The tires have been changed over to Michelin and it did help, but only covered the problem. My truck now has 13,800 miles on it. My truck has also develope a roar in the rear-end. At 11,000 miles, the dealer had to replace the pinion bearing. At 12,500 miles, they put a complete rear-end assembly under the truck. The dealer said that the housing was defective and causing the bearing to wear wrong. I am also having problems with air noise around the 3rd door and windows. They are still working on that issue. I have also develope some kind of whistle. It comes when you maintain a 30-45 mph speed or when you let off the accelerator to slow down. I have not determined what this is and the dealer says that it is normal. He says the throttle body is doing that. If anyone else is having this problem, please let me know. Also, this is a new one for me, the drivers side window is making a weird screeching sound when you roll it down. It does it at the bottom. There is also a clunking sound that comes from under the truck when steering left and backing up. It sounds like something is loose and clanging under the truck. I don't want to sound like a complainer, but when I pay this much money for something, I expect it to be right. Let me know if anyone has any ideas or info on any of the problems. Many Thanks!
  • Options
    I guess it just depends on the degree of moaning. But it seems normal to me that it's going to make noises when turning the wheels on dry surface with 4x4 or autotrac engaged. And if you have good traction on snow or ice, you're going to hear it, feel it there too.
This discussion has been closed.