Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    the rear channel on mine is dismal at best. I have shifter the fader to the rear a little, but there just isn't anything there. I'm waiting to hear how Steve's upgrade goes to see what I'll do to fix that.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    With everything else so nice it's a pitty Mazda didn't do better with the sound, or to at least offer optional speakers. Maybe the head unit is under powered?

folwer3
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had the same problem with the 01 Protege's head unit. I think it or the speakers were underpowered. I know they had to replace my entire HU 2 times because it would just stop working if I played something with too much bass. Of course, I played it fairly loud, but still.
  • Options
    rjoe92057rjoe92057 Member Posts: 6
    With the limited availability of the 6s manual, anyone consider a Maxima SE 6 speed manual at invoice or below and spending $1-2K on a suspension upgrade?
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The Maxima does have a nice interior and is FAST.
  • Options
    ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    Interior and speed the Maxima may have, but I'm not interested in dropping that kind of cash on a car that number one, needs suspension help out of the box and number 2, is a brand new car come next year.

The exterior of the current Maxima is underwhelming to say the least.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    For a loaded SE 6 speed. I have an aversion to the beam axle on a Maxima but that was CHEAP. I see why they still sell so many.
  • Options
    ladybugnovaladybugnova Member Posts: 40
    Hi.

With thanks to Stretch, and with a couple of months to spare, I just ordered a Silver Mazda6 s manual from Fitzgerald Mazda in Annapolis, MD. Here are the details for prices and options ordered:

· Sport Package;
    · Bose Audio Package;
    · Comfort Package;
    · Leather-trimmed upholstery;
    · Compass/AutoDim Mirror
    · Side air bags/ side air curtains; and
    · Moonroof (an option not necessarily wanted but required by Mazda to be configured with other options ordered).

The MSRP for the car is $25,495; the invoice price is $23,079; and, the delivered price is $23,479 (plus taxes and tags).

I don't mind waiting several weeks to get my 6 s manual. Hope this helps for anyone else is trying to get ahold of a s manual.

Regards,

Ladybugnova
  • Options
    Congrats on your purchase!
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    That's great Ladybug, glad I could help. Fitzgerald was a pretty friendly place, eh?
  • Options
    ladybugnovaladybugnova Member Posts: 40
    Vocus, Stretch--thanks. Yeah, Fitzgerald Mazda was friendly. Not to go on and on about it, but I have been test-driving cars for years at different dealerships and while I didn't go out to Annapolis in person (so can't vouch for the test-drive experience) the buying experience was great. I really like places that just post the single, lowest price. I had e-mailed several other local dealers to get a price on the 6 and the response ranged from dumb to vague to "we'll give you $700 off MSRP--you're buying a hard to get model, after all."
  • Options
    They tried that "new model year thing" with me when I got my VW (November 01). The guy wrote the deal for MSRP. I literally laughed in his face. He told me he couldn't go any lower, I started walking out the front door. The manager told him to do what he had to do to make the sale, and he did. :)
  • Options
    drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    Congratulations ladybugnova. PLease give us a review of the car once you get it
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I've read on this board and the Accord/vs. M6 board some complaints about the 17-inch wheels.. but nothing specific.

What's wrong with them? Handling? noise? Wear out quickly?

I plan to get the sports package on the V6 and it comes with 17-inch wheels. I did not get to drive this exact model. I did see one (on another visit to the dealer) and the bigger wheels look very nice, but I don't want to lose handling or have a harsh ride because of them.

Of course, if I hate them I can always swap them out for 16s.

Anyone have a specific reason for not liking the 17-inch wheels?
  • Options
    The only complaint is noise. The other charactoristics are simply a natural trade-off. Handling is crisper with them, but the 16's give a more comfortable ride. I'd say that's the trade-off of plus-sizing any wheel/tire. The 16's are a cheaper tire, too.
  • Options
    bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    Can't get your website, says cannot find server everytime. You do relize if you host a website on your PC, yoiu will have to keep the PC and internet connection on 24/7 right? (well at least during the time you want people to be able to see your site anyway) Also make sure the file folder is set to shared and wherever you registed for the domain know yours current IP address. (you do have an static IP address do you?)
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Don't forget the replacement tires for those are going to spendy. If it were me though, I'd go for the 17s. I just love the way they look. I went to a dealer here in the Twin Cities and they were installing aftermarket wheels on 6s. I like the Mazda wheels better than anything they had. My "perfect" Mazda6 would be a base 4 cyl model with a 5sp and the 17 inch rims as a stand alone option. That way, I'd have cheesy steel wheels with wheel covers for the winter and nice wheels for the summer. I know I'd pay out of the nose for them, but it would be worth it to me. I think the Mazda6 without the sport package and with 17s is one of the sharpest looking cars available.

Edit:

Malt, do you know how much Mazda charges for replacement 17s?
  • Options
    newcar: you can get four 17" OEM wheels for $500- they're $125 each ($150 MSRP). The wheels caps are $8 each extra. That's still much cheaper than the sports package, and about what aftermarket wheels cost.

bigsheng: yeah, the computer is always on, and although it's not a static IP, I have a dynamic DNS updater running. I think it's a router/firewall issue.
  • Options
    About what aftermarket wheels cost? My VW 17s are $350 each... :(
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    ladybugnova - thank you for sharing the pricing part of your purchase..I hope more will be sharing the same.

It will greatly help us who are thinking of buying the Mazda6 and those who already decided.

Strechsje, very nice review - will be waiting more about your experience with your Mazda6.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Mazda Canada released the 6 for configuration on their website.

Info: http://www.mazda.ca/eng/down_the_road/2004_mazda6/mazda6.html

Configuration: http://www.mazda.ca/eng/getin/mazdamaker/engieChoose.asp

Dinu
  • Options
    I wanted to post the options, but the PDF file doesn't display cleanly, so here's the link. It sure looks like they made it much easier on us.

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/down_the_road/2004_mazda6/2004_Mazda6_Fea- tures.pdf

Dinu
  • Options
    Standard features:

On all models:

-Imobilizer
    -Dual exhaust mufflers with bright round finishers
    -Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with EBFD
    -Power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes

On all but the base GS I4:

-Dual front side-impact air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS)
    -Dual front and rear side air curtains
    -Leather-wrapped shifter, steering wheel and parking brake
    -Fog lights (integrated in composite headlights)
    -17-inch alloy wheels
    -Traction Control System (TCS)

Now my idea is to get the base GS-I4 and add the Sport Package.

Sport Package: Includes 17"Alloy wheels, 215/50R17 tires, 8-way power seat, fog lights,
    leather wrapped steering wheel w/audio controls, shift knob, and parking brake.

GFX Package: Includes sporty interior, black trim and seat upholstery (cloth (GS-V6) or
    leather (GT)) with titanium coloured accents, sporty instrument panel trim w/optitron gauges
    with red illumination, front air dam, side sills, rear skirt, dual oval chrome exhaust, and rear
    spoiler.

Q: What is the difference b/w a dual front side-impact air bag SRS and dual front and rear side air curtains?

Dinu
    PS: What a nice way to start a Friday, that in itself starts a weekend :)
  • Options
    Weight Distribution on all trims (% frt/rr) 60:40
    Coolant Capacity 8.5L < That's A LOT!!!
    Fuel Tank 68L < Won't be as cheap as the PRO to fill-up (:

Dinu
  • Options
    Engine GS-I4 GT-I4 GS-V6 GT-V6
    Transmission 5MT Sport4AT 5MT Sport 5AT

1st 3.307 2.816 3.153 3.801
    2nd 1.842 1.497 1.842 2.131
    3rd 1.233 1.000 1.258 1.364
    4th 0.914 0.725 0.947 0.935
    5th 0.717 - 0.733 0.685
    Reverse 3.166 2.648 3.002 2.97
    Final drive 4.105 4.147 4.133 3.712

Dinu
  • Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    http://www.mazda.ca/eng/down_the_road/2004_mazda6/mazda6.html

How come Canada's site lets you Build Your Own car with a lot of those "package items" separate? I want that for the US site!! On Canada's site you can pick the Rear Wing Spoiler OR the Lip Spoiler. You can choose individually if you want the Rear Bumper Skirt, etc. Those are rolled into packages on the US site.

I also wish that the sites, when Building your car, would change the pic of the car as you added or deleted appearance options. I want to see what the car's going to look like before I actually buy it! I think all the 6's at the dealer in my town have the Sport Package w/Spoiler, etc. on them. I'd like to be able to different versions, you know? You wouldn't think it'd be THAT BIG of a deal for the Mazda site to add or subtract images on the car as you "build" it.
  • Options
    honda.ca used to have this neat feature in 2001 where you could see any outside mods (fog lights, spoilers, wheels, skirts, etc). Now they don't.

Dinu

PS: And yes, I REALLY LIKE the fact we can chose what we want. I want the GS-I4 w/Sport Package and a raised spoiler. I don't want the side skirts, Homelink, etc but I wouldn't mind the Optitron, yet I'm not willing to pay for it, so this way to configure cars is much better for me since I wanna keep the price down, yet still have a nice car.
  • Options
    Side airbags vs. curtains:

The front side airbags come out of the side of the seat when deploying, to help reduce injury to the torse in a side impact. The side curtain airbags come out as a "tube" that runs from the front roof pillar to the rear one, and protects both front and rear occupants' heads from hitting the windows, etc. Also protects somewhat from spraying glass in a side impact.

I am really jealous of the Canadian setups. You all don't have to pay for the side airbags on most models, and your "GFX package" is pretty much our Sport Pkg. in the US. Also, the 6 here has an 18 gallon tank (don't know liters, sorry) compared to 14.5 gals. for the Proteges.
  • Options
    gerstlgerstl Member Posts: 5
    the least expensive way to get abs on a m6 appears to be the 6s. the 4 cyl r not coming with abs unless u have every other option already on the car.
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Gerstl: I thought Mazda was supposed to change it so that ABS could be ordered separately or with a few other safety options.

Stretch: When you say the 17" wheels are cheaper than the sports pkg, aren't you forgetting something? How about tires, mounting and balancing? But I do agree that the wheels themselves are cheap enough.
  • Options
    Paul: Thanx! I didn't realize they were two different things.

I think Mazda confirmed they will be altering their options in April or so (once demand stabilizes and all dealers have inventory).

Dinu
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    plug that sized tire into any online retailer and you'll find plenty of option. I saw Goodyears for $105 a piece (of course, that's shipped to you, then you have to get someone to put em on.)

Not so bad.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    said ABS would be a stand-alone option in Feb. at $400(US). Maybe they changed that.

fowler3
  • Options
    You have a point, tires are extra. But if you save the 16's as winter tires, or you wear them out, then that money isn't really lost.

I think one thing you might be forgetting is that to get the 17's you pay for the 16's in the premium package also. Without that, I'd agree, the Sport Package would be an enormous bargain.
  • Options
    1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    It's great that we can finally build our 6 for Canada and get MSRP. I've tried contacting the APA and CarCostCanada and they dont have dealer cost yet. Since I may have access to X-Plan pricing (Dealer cost plus 4%) I want to know from an independent source what the dealer cost actually is. I've heard that dealers play games with X-Plan customers and will give different "cost" prices. I've spoken with one guy who paid more on an X-Plan purchase in Ottawa than his co-worker did in Gatineau, PQ (about 5 miles away)for the identicl vehicle. I thought cost was constant across all dealers in the country. Is it possible that cost is lower in Quebec?
  • Options
    Dang, even the X plan is different here. I know on Mazda models, it's called the S plan. When I used it to buy my 2001 Protege, it meant the car was 1.5% under dealer invoice. It's a weird way they add it up though. They take the price of the car minus destination, then take 1.5% off that, then add the destination back in.
  • Options
    Lucky you! - Having X-Plan.

A few years ago cars used to be cheaper in Quebec than in Ontario - just like car insurance, house prices (or rent), food, public transport, etc. Now I find the gap is getting closer. Used to live in Montreal a few years ago and I can remember the shock we got from Ontario prices when we moved to Toronto.

It might be a good idea to shop in Gatineau/Hull, buy it, bring it back to Ontario. The SAAQ (not to be confused with the SAQ, which is the LCBO of Quebec) has a 6 days temporary permit available to allow you to bring the car through Quebec into Ontario, w/out any tests. I bought a Civic from Montreal to Toronto and all I got was that paper plate, drove it here, got Drive Clean done and certified it here.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/site/english.html

Dinu
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    My understanding is that car mfg web sites in the US that let you "build" a model the way you want are more for the benefit of the marketing people who're interested in consumer likes/dislikes. What are actually the chances (unless a dealer orders one for you) that one can find the car that you "built" at the dealer lot? In the case of Toyota, it was usually zero, IMO. Toyota must have received a lot of complaints about this deceptive practice, because they stopped this game.

Since the 6 is not really a high volume car, having a lot of different combinations of options doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm just wondering what % of cars built on the web site are actually available.
  • Options
    1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    I'm also originally from Montreal. When I moved to Ontario in 95 I brought my 93 Geo Metro 4-door with me (yes, I actually bought one of things)and had no trouble getting Ont plates. Had to get a safety check, though, notwithstanding that the car was 18 months old.

I just hadn't realized that dealer costs were different from province to province. I thought that was smoothed over by everyone paying the same ludicrous transport/delivery charge even if the car was built locally.

I know the cost is different between Canada and the US, and that explains why it's almost impossible to get a car for invoice price here.I just hadn't realized that the manufacturer would price it differently from province to province.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    But, if you use in conjunction with the locator, the build your own is effective.
  • Options
    doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
    If you have an X-plan (s-plan) just ask to see the invoice. It is printed right on it. As far as getting different prices you have to remember that dealers are not obligated to accept it. If the car is hot they might not accept it at all or they may require you to order the car so they can sell their inventory at retail. I had a customer who didn't want to wait to order his Tribute and opted to buy one we had in stock for a fleet price.

Most dealers will accept the plan on the hot cars eventually, it just will take a bit for the inventories to build up.
  • Options
    bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    On the build your own section, there are options called "Gear shift knob (S-AT) $144.63", "Parking-brake handle $240.68", "Steering wheel $579.00", what do those mean? Mazda can't possiblely build a car with steering wheel as option?
  • Options
    I know. I had a good chuckle this morning from that.

They mean leather-wrapped...

Dinu
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Actually, that's the accessory steering wheel. Look under Features & Specs, then Accessories. All it says is, "Steering Wheel, Silver".

It's not the regular leather-wrapped steering wheel, they all have that except the GS-I4 model.
  • Options
    igotamiataigotamiata Member Posts: 14
    Well I picked up my 6s on Monday and have been grinning ever since! Just a couple of observations so far: Note: These are based on my experiences with my 1990 and 1999 Miata and not other cars in the 6's comparable midsize class.

I drove a manual for 10 years in 2 Miatas, and don't miss it a bit. Smooth shifts, effortless commutes, and what promises to be very decent power on demand once the break in period is over makes not waiting the 12 weeks to get a MT SO worth it! It's killing me to not punch it though!

I've heard numerous comments on the Bose package. I'm no audiophile by any means, but the system does offer numerous adjustments that when tweaked, to my music loving ears, does sound VERY good. Not to say it justifies Mazda charging $635.00 for it, but it does sound far superior to the base systems I've had in my 2 previous Miatas.

I'm finding the 6 to very quiet, even with the sport package and 17" tires. Again, my comparison is to the Miata, but I still find myself turning the volume down on the stereo to listen and being amazed at the nonexistence of engine and road noise.

I drove it after 1 inch of snow on Wednesday night, and was very impressed with the confidence I felt driving in slushy conditions at 45 MPH. Never felt any slipping, as I passed cars poking along in the right lane on a 4 lane divided road with a 40 MPH speed limit. Again, the Miata was like riding in a tin can with ice skates (even with Michelin Arctic Alpin snow tires). I rarely had the confidence that this front driver gave me.

The heated seats with the comfort package are curious. Seems they don't heat up from a few inches from the front edge of the seat (mid thigh forward). Anyone know if this is a glitch I should return to the dealer for, or is the the way they are supposed to be? Still nice to have a toasty butt on a cold Michigan morning!

Hope this has been helpful...I'm sure I'm missing some points I wanted to mention, but I'll post it later when I think of it if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    dantodanto Member Posts: 24
    Very helpful, Chris!

Which dealer in Michigan did you go to and how was their service? I personally am waiting for the spring before pulling the trigger.

By the way shouldn't you now change your name to "igotamazda6"?
  • Options
    jason777jason777 Member Posts: 56
    I ordered my 6 this week, the gt v6 with gfx.

I have to wait until the end of February before I get, painful!

The lease price on these things are very high, I could have gotten a much more expensive car for the same lease price.

I just love the cock pit look of the dash, very bright and space age!

And I love the look of the car, it looks so fresh and different!

Plenty enough power for me, even though its not a Japenese engine.

I felt the car gave me over all most of what I want in a car. Looks, comfort, handling.

Just my thoughts!

Jason.
  • Options
    melikamelika Member Posts: 14
    As soon as I can sell my P.O.S. A4!!!!
    I have compared the 6 to the IS 300 and like the 6 much better and so does my wallet!!!
    My insurance would be $200 more per year for the IS 300 and the 6s will be the same as the A4.
    I also like the interior of the 6. It is weird to make someone get the sport package just to have ABS and rear air bags. Why do they do that? I'm also not crazy about the spoiler and other ground efx. Oh well, you can't have everything.
    I am planning to lease as well. My boyfriend has an '01 Miata and an '03 P-5 - which I love except it doesn't have homelink!! Apparently, you can order that as an aftermarket part, though(you buy the same rearview mirror that's in the 6). My only worry is that there will be reliability problems.
    Melissa in Orlando, Fl
  • Options
    melikamelika Member Posts: 14
    That was a great article!
    Melissa