Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I am not killer crazy about the cloth in my mazda. I think it will last very well for two-three years, but then might really show the wear. I hope to replace it in 2-3 years with an aftermarket mix of cloth and leather. Ever see those? The leather is around the sides and cloth in the area where your buns and thighs rest? I've seen it a couple of times in sports/type cars and I really like it.
    I hope to avoid the hot and slippery issues with this configuration.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Yes, I've seen that before, and it's great. In the last years of the Taurus SVT they used it on that car. I think I've seen in on some VWs too. How about suede on the contact surfaces?

Oh, and most upholstery shops can do the change.
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Personally, I didn't like the leather in the 6. I am not a big fan of perforated leather... I am even turned off most Mercedes interiors because of its use. A nice, heavily grained leather like they used in the Millenia would have been nice. I even prefer the leather in the Protege5.

Also, I am a very "spirited" driver and love to attack curves and corners. With the leather, I am fighting to stay planted in the seat way too much. Perhaps with heavier bolstering, I could enjoy the leather. Oh well... just my opinion.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Also, I am a very "spirited" driver and love to attack curves and corners. With the leather, I am fighting to stay planted in the seat way too much. Perhaps with heavier bolstering, I could enjoy the leather.

You hit it at the end. In a good seat, you wouldn't worry about sliding around. I'm a pretty small guy but the leather sport seats on my car hug me so I don't budge when driving. Good seats negage the "slippery leather" argument.

Someone else mentioned a mix of leather and cloth. That was an option on my car - a mix of this nasty suede-like material and leather on the bolsters. I went with solid leather. As I mentioned before, I don't move around in my seats.
  • Options
    ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    It seems to be really popular on the couches now, maybe it will make its way into the car upholstery. Not as durable as leather, but way better than fabric. It's very stain resistant too! (sorry to sound like a furniture salesman)
  • Options
    seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    Anyone else notice how big the MZ6's remote keyless entry fob is? Compared to other makes. I wish they would have built the electronic components inside the key like the new accord. A few times I've just left the fob at home since I don't like carrying bulky keychains. I thought Japanese electronics were supposed to be compact and stylish. The Ford people must've designed the MZ6 key fob.

Actually just looked at the back of the key fob and it says Visteon, made in canada. Did a search for Visteon, and it is an auto supplier that spun off of Ford. That explains it all. Ford and the American design philosophy..."bigger is better"... Might as well carry a TV universal remote in my pocket...
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Might as well carry a TV universal remote in my pocket.."

The new 7-series doesn't even have a key. :)
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    For me and my big fingers. I couldn't dial those tiny cell phones in Japan without using a sharpened pencil, those buttons are so tiny and closely-spaced. I usually end up hitting a few buttons simultaneously when using my fingers.

I prefer my old-tech cell phone. It could be thinner, but I like the larger keys and keypad.

I think the fob on my '99 Protege could be a little smaller, but only a little. I really dislike dinky little buttons.
  • Options
    Read about some of the passive entry systems, where you carry a RF chip on you, pocket, wallet, purse, even watch and cellphone. And the vehicle automatically unlocks for you as you approach and you can just press a start button to start the engine since the car 'recognizes' the authorized user. So far these are only available in very upscale cars, the only exception as far as I know is the new 2004 toyota prius hybrid. But that car is full of other techno-gizmos too.

As for sizes of electronics, they should be as small as possible but the interface should be easy to use. The MZ6's key fob is just big, the buttons are actually kind of small for the size of the whole thing. And the panic button is not very well placed, it's too easy to press by accident. I think some engineer designed it after they had a few drinks.
  • Options
    My huband's new Sport Track has a key fob the size of a softball (or it seem like it) I'm sure it's at least 1/2 again the width of the M6 fob and probably 3 centimeters longer.
    I won't and don't carry it. I only carry the key.
    Since the SpTrac doesn't have an alarm, the fob is almost usless.
  • Options
    Since the SpTrac doesn't have an alarm, the fob is almost usless.

You carry a fob for the alarm? I'd think it'd be handy to unlock the doors remotely, pop the trunk and relock the car.

Heck, my current car (an 03) doesn't even have an alarm. And my fob's integrated with a key that's a tad thicker than the average key.
  • Options
    This key fob is the same that was used on the Protege and Millenia. What I liked about those key fobs was that the button labels were "embossed" or "engraved" (I can't think of the right word). The fob for the six is just printed or screened onto the buttons. They are already coming off.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "This key fob is the same that was used on the Protege and Millenia."

Actually, my 2001 Protege's key fob was different and smaller. It wasn't a Visteon product and it was made in Japan.
  • Options
    ...'99 and '00 Protege. In '01, they switched to the current 3-button fob, which is of much higher quality.
  • Options
    loupieloupie Member Posts: 17
    I've got a 2001 F150, a 2001 Focus, and a 1998 Mystique, and none are as large as the fob for my 6. It's definitely too large, but it's not Ford that should be blamed... Mazda chose that themselves.
  • Options
    loupieloupie Member Posts: 17
    I've been on vacation (US Open in NY) recently and just got around to getting back online here. I noticed lots of folks responded to my post about the dealer selling me a 6 that had been registered by someone else. I appreciate the opinions of those that responded. Ultimately, I took the path that seemed best for me; considering I like my car very much and have had no problems with it, I didn't push for a replacement. I'd bought the car knowing it had 300 miles on it, so the fact that it had been registered to someone for 2 days doesn't have much bearing. The only loss I suffered was the leverage I might have had during the negotiation for the car (had I known it was 'used'). I think the dealer did the right thing offering me the free services. I think Mark's response was pretty much along these lines too.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I think <johnclineii> hit the nail on the head..

"As for paying for things, I don't mind that at all. What I do mind is getting things I do NOT want. like leather or a moonroof. I don't want them even if they pay ME to take them. And I shouldn't have to take them to get a SAFETY option. See? "

I agree with him 100%.. Not only do I want the safety stuff, I don't want the moonroof. I need the headroom. I have already walked away from the Ininiti G35 and the Lexus Rx300 in the last two years becuase they are only available with a sunroof and tons of other stuff I don't want and only available without a sunroof if I will accept the bare bones version with NO other options, or I go to Florida to buy a vehicle shipped there without a sunroof because Florida is too hot to have sunroofs.

Someone else suggested a few posts ago the safety stuff be independent options OR made standard on all models. And then allow a few packages beyond that. But the option choices should be independent of the engine/tranny choice. As an example, someone questioned last week, why is the auto temp control standard on the s, but not available on the i ??? ????? ???? Is there a sensible answer to that??
  • Options
    pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "As an example, someone questioned last week, why is the auto temp control standard on the s, but not available on the i ??? ????? ???? Is there a sensible answer to that??"

Probably the most sensible answer is it's just another one of those things that if you want it, you'll have to ante up for the higher end version. If someone wants auto-climate controls and would take a 4-cyl, then Mazda hopes you'll ante up the extra cash and upgrade to the 6-cyl. They want the 6-cyl to seem more upscale in some ways I guess. Also the reason that most 4-cyl buyers wouldn't care about auto-climate controls could be used so it may be a combination of both. On the Mazda3 I can understand there being no auto-climate controls, on a Mazda6 4-cyl I'm not so sure. It doesn't matter to me if a car has it so I have no preference, but if it wasn't that much more money to add it then I would make it standard. Again though it may go back to making the 6-cyl stand out more equipment-wise over the 4-cyl. Just like requiring a moonroof to get SAB/SAC, not having auto-climate on the 4-cyl is a gamble Mazda is willing to take. They figure there's not enough demand from 4-cyl buyers to add it to the 4-cyl, even as an option. We either have to sacrifice something and take the Mazda car as is or go to another company that can give us what we want. Weigh the positives and negatives and decide if it's worth it or not. That's what I'll be doing with the Mazda3.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I think if you're going to combine options in the wacky way that Mazda does, you might as well just go with an LX/EX packaged system like Honda with everything else dealer-installed.

I think customers will understand that they first need to make an upfront decision on getting a stripper or a luxury version and then live with the options, hopefully with the idea that by doing so, they're cheaper for the mfg to produce, cheaper to inventory cars, and makes things simpler for the buyer when they're shopping.

Mazda seems to have the worst of both worlds. Complexity without flexiblity.

- Mark
  • Options
    wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    Mazda seems to have the worst of both worlds. Complexity without flexiblity.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Mazda did have Honda like packaging in the 80's and 90's because they wanted to compete with Honda and Toyota. Now they want to be a Front Wheel Drive of BMW and have buyers of all age ages like VW has. Mazda has gone into being this European Car Company in the last 4 years because they are alot like a European Car Company(have a Fun to Drive Image) while Honda and Toyota have gone more mainstream. In conclusion, If Mazda wqants to package their cars like European Car Companies they must have better option packaging. Mazda doesn't understand how to make good and clear cut option packaging.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    I don't think this has been posted here yet, but for those who don't visit that other Mazda6 place, here's some pics of the new N. American-spec Mazda6 orange (low-bandwidth warning):

http://www.cldroussillon.qc.ca/french/test/photo_0334.jpg

http://www.cldroussillon.qc.ca/french/test/photo_0337.jpg

http://www.cldroussillon.qc.ca/french/test/photo_0338.jpg

http://www.cldroussillon.qc.ca/french/test/photo_0339.jpg

http://www.cldroussillon.qc.ca/french/test/photo_0341.jpg

Also note the roof-mounted antenna.
  • Options
    "I think if you're going to combine options in the wacky way that Mazda does, you might as well just go with an LX/EX packaged system like Honda with everything else dealer-installed. "

NO, please, NO!
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Well, we were in the market for a new car and yet again we went with something else. By the time we found a 6 with the options we wanted and the power we needed we would've had to get a Mazda 6s and give up the gas mileage of a 4 cylinder. The 6 is a nice enough car but it just isn't where it's at when it comes to family sedans.
  • Options
    aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    "The 6 is a nice enough car but it just isn't where it's at when it comes to family sedans."

If you mean a vanillamobile that is boring to drive then I agree with you totally the 6 is not where it's at. Trust me your loss especially if you bought a Camcord.

BTW what car did you come up with that had the power that you needed but was still a 4 cylinder? Unless it was a TSX that statement does not make much sense.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... in the impeccable style of anonymousposts :)

I believe s/he ended up with a Civic Si and an Accord Coupe, and/or a couple of Lexuses. He he. 'nuff said :)

On topic - washed my 6 at a drive-in self-serve wash today, and drove it back revving hard the whole way. My roommate gives me the "You had a fun drive back from wherever you were, again - didn't you!" spiel :)

That's why I bought it.

And oh - its winning award after award in the FAMILY SEDAN class. Just a wakeup call for those who think family sedans should double as land-barges as well.
  • Options
    And oh - its winning award after award in the FAMILY SEDAN class. Just a wakeup call for those who think family sedans should double as land-barges as well.

You mean Mazda is buying award after award? Work or talk with someone in marketing - industry mags, papers, groups, etc sell awards.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>> You mean Mazda is buying award after award? Work or talk with someone in marketing - industry mags, papers, groups, etc sell awards. <<<

u mean the Yugo can also win(buy) all those awards?
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The 6i automatic has won very few awards with the 6i/6s manual with the sport package being the award-winner and most of those awards have came from countries other than the US. It's almost unanimous that the 6i in automatic form is lacking in low-end torque. It's something that has been repeated in here and in the road tests of the 6i. That same criticism has even been extended to the 6s.

The 6i manual is fun-to-drive with the sport package but this time around I needed an automatic. In that form the 6i lags behind some other models in it's class. I was looking for safety, efficiency, room, and something that I enjoyed driving. I wouldn't enjoy driving a 6i automatic.

Another concern was resale value. You never know what life will throw at you therefore you never know when you might have to get rid of a car sooner than planned. That's what happened to me when we found out we had a baby coming. My 03 coupe quickly became impractical. Luckily, it was a Honda so we did not get slaughtered on trade as we would have if we had bought ... let's just say "some other car". Had we purchased a 6 when we were in the market for a car we would've had a 6i 5-speed with the sport package, which according to posts in here, isn't being heavily discounted yet but I bet it would have been come trade in time.

The 4 cylinder sedan automatic (never thought I would buy an automatic) I did end up with is not even 1 second slower (according to some sources it is within .5 seconds) than a 6s to 60 and only .1 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile while returning at least 6-7 MPG better than the 6s. We actually went out with the intention of buying an automatic 4WD Element but with an automatic it was more of a dog than we could deal with on a long-term basis.

This post isn't meant to antagonize any 6 owners/supporters. It's just another point of view about why the 6 hasn't been as successfull as it should be given it's driving dynamics. The 6 is a hoot to drive but in the family sedan segment lateral g's and slaloms take a back seat to the things I mentioned above. And yes, there is always that possibility that I may have twins next and then have to trade quickly again, the 6 is not the car for that.
  • Options
    frogpondfrogpond Member Posts: 17
    My wife owns a PT. She bought it because she loved the exterior/interior styling and always wanted one. She is now regretting it because of the problems she has had, the very poor gas mileage (22 for highway in a four cylinder...c'mon on!!!!), poor handling especially in inclimant conditions (she is very sad to have traded in her Honda). So now we rae hunting around...the catch is this she is handicapped and needs things like a power seat. Funny thing is only 5-6 yrs ago car companies offered power seats as options in a lot more cars compared to now. Usedto be you could spend 17-20k and get a power seat option now you have to spend 22-30k. Plus auto companies feel the need to move everything forward, the auto shifter and controls which put them out of her reach (she loved the Matrix but found it very difficult to impossible to shift) Alas we wound up at a Mazda dealership after literally trying almost every automobile out there (under 22k). She sat in a Pro5 and loved it....no button on the auto shifter and it was smooth! Problem was she couldn't get in and out without a power seat...none offered. She sat in a 6 and loved it even more...no button still, easy to shift, some controls on steering wheel, large knobs that she can reach and so on....problem is we are upside down on our PT loan......sigh.....While a handicapped drivers are a very small market share auto designers should be more mindful of some of their designs, like I said it was easier finding a car 5-6yrs ago, and handicappe accessory companies should expand to refitting cars and not just vans:)
  • Options
    "You mean Mazda is buying award after award? Work or talk with someone in marketing - industry mags, papers, groups, etc sell awards."

That's a bunch of garbage. Where are all of General Motors' awards? They have cash and if you can buy awards, GM would have been doing it a while ago......or is BMW's and Honda's and Toyota's cash greener?
  • Options
    It's fine if you don't believe it. But in any industry there are a few legit awards from major players and the rest of the so-call accolades come from more deceitful methods. In the software and pharmaceutical industries I've seen it over and over. Am I to believe this is the only industry that doesn't buy awards from random industry resources?

And why doesn't GM or Honda or cash rich toyota pay for awards from random little publications like Atlantic Coast Drivers Monthly or V6 Review? Probably because they're established and they don't to list 150 newspapers and magazines agree, the xxxx is the top car in this segment. GM sells the most cars. Honda, Toyota etc are all major players. Mazda isn't.

In the software/tech world and in pharma, it's the bit players and middling players who drop the coin to get mentioned anywhere, as though an unbiased source thinks this tiny or unheard of company has an unheralded but worthy product.

Talk to a friend/trusted co-worker in marketing or PR...it's more common than people realize.

The 6 is a fantastic sedan - easily the best of under 25k crop. The awards though and the constant mentioning of them is little more than Mazda trying to carve out a legit name with their car. It's a good car nobody knows about.
  • Options
    You know it gets tireing hearing how Mazda is a bad company that buys awards and people say they are rebadged Ford's. Its just crazy.

As far as resale is concerned I guess if enough people bought Mazda's their resale wouldn't be that bad. Instead people like their Toyota's, Honda's, VW's, and Nissan's, GM's, and Ford's. I'm not saying there is anything wrong that though.

It seems like Mazda now gets treated like GM got treated in the 80's and early 90's: people say this and that about them and how they are not reliable cars and they are not as good as Honda and Toyota.

As far as the 6 not being successful where I live its successful.
  • Options
    "It's fine if you don't believe it."

I don't believe it at all. If awards went to the highest bidder, the Honda Accord wouldn't have been on Car and Driver's ten best list forever. Instead of the Accord, the Ford Taurus or Chevy Lumina should have been on the ten best list. I've been reading car mags for a long time and the cars that consistantly win awards time after time in publication after publication are Hondas and BMWs. Neither Honda, nor BMW are the most cash rich automakers. So basically what you are saying is that Honda and BMW's stategy for selling cars is buying awards?????
  • Options
    "But in any industry there are a few legit awards from major players and the rest of the so-call accolades come from more deceitful methods."

Actually, it's the other way around. I'm not saying that an award has never been bought by an automaker, but for the most part, the awards are legit.
  • Options
    do u beleive in the Oscar awards?

I don't.

'cause Oscar awards are BOUGHT. There is hardly one oscar that is legit.

How about that.

Still the common man believes in the awards.
  • Options
    "Still the common man believes in the awards."

Who cares about the Oscars? You can't equate Hollywood to the international auto industry.
  • Options
    What about the Boxing Fight last nigh?. Chavez is shocked out of his mind the judges awarded Mosely the win. Mosely was even shocked himself.
  • Options
    As far as resale is concerned I guess if enough people bought Mazda's their resale wouldn't be that bad.

GM sells the most cars of any company. Their resale values blow. It's not about sales but buyer perceptions. The buyer perception is that mazda isn't a top tier company.

It seems like Mazda now gets treated like GM got treated in the 80's and early 90's: people say this and that about them and how they are not reliable cars and they are not as good as Honda and Toyota.

No comparo really because GM has always and will always be a trashy, second tier mcdonald's like company that pushes cheap junk on the masses with it wrapped in the flag.

Mazda's aiming for a niche and has done so from the getgo. They freely admitted the 6 will never do honda accord numbers because it's not designed or marketed for the vapid masses who want an appliance. Mazda's energy has always surrounded being a bit different, a bit sporty - not being one of the joneses.

As far as the 6 not being successful where I live its successful.

success if relative. Mazda aimed for far less numbers than the big three (Camry, Accord and Taurus). They're hitting those numbers, which is great. They're not trying to be all things to all people.
  • Options
    I don't believe it at all. If awards went to the highest bidder, the Honda Accord wouldn't have been on Car and Driver's ten best list forever.

I'm not talking about huge mainstream magazines with 1 million plus readership levels. Most of the "awards" mentioned have been from random industry (not mass magazines) mags, local groups or car shows or silly newspapers and such.

I've been reading car mags for a long time and the cars that consistantly win awards time after

i'm sorry you're unaware that publications exist that aren't sold at Barnes and Noble.

For the cheap seats: Established players don't buy awards from Billbo's V6 Roundup or the Ontario Automotive Gazette. That's what second tier and struggling companies do to get legitimacy.

The average joe wants to believe "authorities" like his vehicle, refrigerator, CPU, favorite film. Seeing that the Mazda6 earned the "Best in Class" award from The Orange County Modder Review means to him some "authorities" liked his car.

As I said before, talk with your PR/marketing people. They get calls constantly from industry publications and groups who are selling awards.

If you can't grasp the difference between Road and Track and some po-dunk publication...
  • Options
    'cause Oscar awards are BOUGHT. There is hardly one oscar that is legit.

How about that.

I loathe the oscars because they in now way, shape or form relate to quality. It's the hollywood prom, nothing more.
  • Options
    You chose an Accord over the Mazda6, so I wonder why you waste your time here. Seems like you would want to be posting stuff about how much you like the Accord over in the Accord topics.
    Unless, of course, you aren't really sure that you made the right decision and need to come here to bash Mazda to make yourself feel better about your decision?
    Just curious ...
  • Options
    Just because a publication isn't as well known as Car and Driver and isn't sold at Barnes & Noble doesn't automatically mean that they sell awards......and what does it say when all of these little publications that Mazda cites are in agreement big players like Automobile, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend? To me it says that the awards are legit and the Mazda6 is for real.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Most awards are legit, but some are blantantly commercial, as in "bought". How many of you know that the prestigious "Who's Who in America" listing is a solicited commercial enterprise. Some years ago I received a letter in the mail asking if I'd like to be listed and if so, please forward a check in the amount of $300.... And that was over 20 years ago! One can only imagine what the fee is now. It's no wonder you hardly ever hear of anyone touting their listing in that piece of crap anymore..

What's the highest mileage anyone has on their MZ6 so far? Any problems developing at the higher mileages?
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    If car and driver, road and track, Automobile mag, trashed the MZ6 and on the other hand Mazda was "winning" all those tiny awards, we would believe in your logic Blueguy.

But that is not the case.
    Car&driver: top 10. v6 silky as a BMW 330i.
    Edmunds: favorite long term...nothing broke till date
    Automobile mag: second thoughts about car of the year award.

coupled with these "big" authorities review, the smaller awards make it to be legitimate and enhance the effectiveness of the big award.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    That would be a hell lot of journalists to bribe in so many countries!!!

Dinu
  • Options
    I tend to look at the general picture. There may or may not be a few awards bought, but with so many I doubt Mazda has the finances to do it even when they're struggling financially just a few years back and needed Ford's stock ownership.

As for the design awards, I tend to believe it because now that independent tests are starting to come out, the Mazda6 gets good crash test ratings, obviously well designed, and leas expensive bumper replacements in minor accidents. Another well thought out design. Also the large trunk space, and interior space for such a compact exterior also reinforces my belief the the designers paid a lot of detailed attention and deserved the awards. If they bought most of the awards, I think the average joe consumer would detect how wrong the publications are, except most average joe consumers also are praising the Mazda6.
  • Options
    Thanks so much to the person who posted the pics of the copper 6. Beauty!

Dang... wish they would have had that color here in the US this year... would have taken that in a second (if I could have found one).
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    here is your statement:

"Mazda's aiming for a niche and has done so from the getgo. They freely admitted the 6 will never do honda accord numbers because it's not designed or marketed for the vapid masses who want an appliance. Mazda's energy has always surrounded being a bit different, a bit sporty - not being one of the joneses."

i must mention a few things. i looked at the 6s, and the V6 Accord. really liked both of them. chose the Accord for power and interior. i am hardly what most people would call "vapid". i used to believe that Accords were vanilla. i think that is changing. but without getting into defending the Accord here in a 6 forum, i feel i should remind you of something. you drive a BMW! talk about mindless zombies looking for cars with a "name" and an image - 3 series sedans fly off the lots and end up at Carmax six months later because the BMW name isn't worth the BMW experience (headache)...

lets hold off on calling Honda owners vapid. when Mazda offers interiors that have a quality feel, they will sell more cars. :)