Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The name "6" doesn't bother me, but then do you call the 4 cylinder models the "4"? ;-)

They show some bizarre stuff at Tokyo.

-juice
  • Did you get a load of the "Mazda Secret Hideout?" With styling by Playschool. No, the show that claimed to know America gets the sedan and station wagon was Autoweek. It just happened to run right after Motorweek on my TV system. The current Motorweek show featured a rapturous review of the new Altima.
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/47802/page012.html

A little more info, too. The 4 banger will have a pretty impressive 178hp.

I'm not sure I like the interior as much as the exterior. The two tone steering wheel and seats are a little much. And why Pontiac-orange guages?

-juice
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I am sure the two-tone steering wheel won't make it to production. Those are usually show-car pieces they use. And my 2001 Protege ES has red lit gauges, and it looks pretty cool. The orange is a little much though. They should use the red from the 2001 ES.
  • alpha01, thanks for clearing that up; I guess I got carried away a bit there :-).

BTW, if you don't like the name "6", how about using Mazda Atenza or Cronos ('93-'97 626 was called Cronos is some part of the world; I kinda like it)

or how about Mazda 6 Series, kinda like BMW? how about Class 6 (classics ???)

In any case, I'm getting one of this 6 series Mazda.
  • Anchor the Amati line would mean it is the high-volume product and therefore most important to the success of the division.

Flagship would mean top-of-the-line such as the BMW 7-series or Mercedes S-class.
    The MP3 has a similar steering wheel, though. I prefer the all-black ones.

I agree - an anchor is the best selling model, the one that pays the bills, so that other, more interesting variants can be offered as well.

So the 626 and Protoge are the anchors, and the new RX is the flagship.

-juice
  • The 6 will be the top of the line Mazda after the Millenia dies off. It was supposed to be the entry "Amati" car.
  • I for one plan on buying the hatchback when it makes it over here. I'll take a v6, too. I hope that Mazda has enough sense to offer a manual with that v6. I also hope that said manual is NOT the crappy MTX-75, which happens to be the bane of my existance in my Focus (hence my user name).

Ahh well. Here's a checklist for Mazda of North America to follow:
    1. Bring Hatchback to USA
    2. Offer manual transmission with V6
    3. Don't use MTX-75 transmission
    4. If you have to use MTX-75, at least re-engineer it so that it can shift in cold weather. Like, say, the Saturn, Toyota, and Honda manuals in my previous cars.
    Great to hear that from the horse's mouth! Well, the CEO anyway. ;-)

Bring a V6/5 speed wagon and hatch, and consider offering AWD, please.

-juice
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    From what I have read recently, looks like Mazda will be smart (looking at the success of their P5) and bring the 6 hatchback over to the US. Make mine a V6 automatic, loaded please. :) Looking forward to a 2004/05 trade-up from my current 2001 Protege ES, which I love.
  • My problem is my lease expires in Nov. 2002 and therefore, the most I can hope for is the availability of the sedan. Would prefer the hatch but the style really isn't that different. Looking to sell this car in the low 20's with an upscale interior, level of equipment and performance so it will have to be on my short list.
    I'm hoping the sedan will arrive along side the wagon, and the hatch in Spring 2003.

I've been showing the wife some 5 doors and she tends to like them. If I can't get her in a wagon I'd much prefer a hatch over a sedan.

-juice
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    If they can manage to hide the gooseneck hinges in the trunk like in the new Camry, I wouldn't mind the sedan.
    Toyota has a lot of money to play with. Plus, they share that basic platform with the Lexus ES300, so the development costs were covered.

Looks like the platform is Mazda-only for now, so it'll be left up to them to do it.

-juice
  • meesrmeesr Posts: 20
    ......... about 5 weeks ago. I work across the street from Mazda R&D, and after work I drove past their driveway. Out came this new car, with heavy disguise on the front and back end. What is that?

I caught up with the guy. It looks slightly larger than the VW Jetta. Nice lines. The driver noticed I was looking closely at it and took off.

3 weeks later Mazda announces the "6". I immediately recognized it as the disguised car I saw. I'm hoping Mazda will roll another one out of their parking lot soon.
  • and take pictures for us pleazzzzz. But if it's all wrapped in tapes, it probabaly won't look too good anyway.
    I'm definitely going to LA Auto show this year, I'm sure Mazda will show this car to the public; if not, I would be very dissapointed.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Check the December Motor Trend, page 36. Only one picture, but they are not hiding it. It is also featured on the Mazda Owners website, at www.mazdausa.com/owners.
  • says only the sedan version of the Mazda 6 will be available in the USA. Hatch and wagon versions will sell in Europe, Asia, but not USA. Too bad. Just based on looks alone, the wagon would do well.
  • This business of which versions of the 6 will make it to the US is getting amusing. We've heard every possible variation of the story except that the sedan will not get here. Maybe that version will make it into print yet. Would Mazda intentionally spread confusion just to keep a buzz going?

My best guess is that the sequence will be sedan, wagon later and maybe the hatch later still. I hope I'm wrong. It would be great to have a reliable (ie Japanese) alternative to the Subaru wagons. They are wonderful cars, but so expensive and so ubiquitous.
    Indeed, keep the camera handy. Was the one you saw a sedan or a hatch?

-juice
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    Subaru is Japanese as well
  • meesrmeesr Posts: 20
    If i see the Mazda 6 again, I'll shoot pics.

It was the blue sedan Mazda 6. Honestly, at first i thought it was a new Saturn. Then I saw the Michigan "Distributor" plates and deduced it just drove outta the Mazda driveway (I actually didn't see it drive out, but it was just 20 yards from the driveway). When I saw the honeycombed grill, I knew this was something special.

It did not have the trick rims shown in these pictures shown on the net. Again, it was sized between Passat and Jetta.
  • I believe the 6 comes in around 184 inches which makes it about the size of the Passat, X-type, etc.
  • Ruski: yes, thank you, the Subaru is Japanese. I didn't express myself well. I want to see more than one well-built, reliable and attractive mid-sized wagon on the market. If I just paid attention to facts, the Outback is hands-down the best car for me to buy. But where I live, it seems every third car is an Outback, and they haven't changed the look of the car in a long time. I'd love to see Mazda add a zoom zoom wagon to my choices, and I'd love to see Honda take a serious swing at building a great station wagon. In a perfect world, the new Altima V6 would come out in wagon form, but that ain't gonna happen! I probably should get an Outback and paint it fluorescent pink so I could find it in the shopping center parking lot.
    It may just look smaller, since the styling is pretty sleek.

Outbacks are all over the place, but the Legacy GT wagon is kind of rare, if you want to stand out a bit. There is also the WRX wagon.

-juice
  • tchootchoo Posts: 93
    I was just at the New England International Auto Show and I asked the staff at the Mazda booth if they were bringing in the hatchback version of the 6. The answer was a definite YES. He said it would be available next year as a 2003 model.
  • Good to hear that tchoo. I will ask the same question to Mazda reps during the LA Auto show here in january. someone else mentioned earlier that Mazda should bring the sedan and wagon first, then release the hatchback as performance model, kinda like the MP3 or SP model in Australia; it'll be very cool. We're definitely gonna get the wagon, probably to replace our Protege5 or maybe to add to our Mazda collections :-).
    Sporty hatch would be good. My wife likes the styling, and her 626 is starting to get old.

-juice