Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    trying to beat out BMW, Volvo, Audi is hard, but I never thought it would lose to Saab.... darn...
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Not the 330i? Sure? That's a 4-cylinder car (which they unfortunately don't even sell in the US any more!)

The Volvo and Saab beating the Audi is a bit of a surprise. The Jag in last place has got to be a kick in the pants for Ford, though.

And when they start taking interior refinement into account, the Mazda 6 can't really match up on that playing field with the others - its a class down (and a whole lot cheaper!)
  • Options
    ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    Sorry, I think the BMW was a 2.2L I-6. It definately wasn't the 2.5L or 3.0L. The Audi lost because it was small and didn't do well on British roadways.

They pretty much admitted that the Mazda6 was out of place with this group and belonged with the Mondeo and Passats of the world. But, that didn't stop them from bashing it either. They particuarlly didn't like that center console and the plastainium finish.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I lucked out and happened to be in town on business and visiting friends when this started (thought I'd miss it). Even though I just caught a bad cold, I enjoyed the show.

They have 3 6s models on display, all medium grey with moonroofs (and one with Sport package, I think).

I just sat in them. Power options were not enabled (no adapter hooked up). I noticed there wasn't distortion through the windshield like I saw with the 6i I test-drove a while back (fun despite that), but I don't like the blue tinting at top. I have to look through that (long torso).

I have to admit, the Saab 9-3 is nicely put-together inside. Interior materials are better than those in the 6. Very comfy seats too (but not more than those in the 6). Still, I'm not much into leather or wood (or fake wood), so the 9-3 isn't for me. No idea of how it drives.

Take your camera. Those 6 models are nice. And they have a spice-orange MS Pro, as well as the other models (including a yummy bright yellow P5). And the car in the new Bond movie (Maserati?...I can't remember) is right at the entrance to the show floor. Looks OK. BIG wheels.

I also checked out the Altima. Yeah, some trim pieces feel cheap (tinny) for a car of this price range, but they're acceptable to me. It is very roomy inside.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Let's not get too carried away with bashing. anonymouseposts...er...anonymousposts, sorry, you do keep nibbling away at us, congratulations on your new Accord.

Actually, most car buyers can get along fine without many of the extras they "have to have". They quibble about the costs and 0% interest, but won't budge an inch on options. If it came down to it, wouldn't you buy what is on the lot if you really want a 6? Haven't we always done that with "imported" cars?

The performace package doesn't do a thing, it's for looks, and subjective at that. The suspension is the same and isn't that what really counts? It doesn't cost extra! And that's the main difference between the 6 and its competitors -- plus superior styling.

As for the styling compared to Accord and Camry, to me, it looks very up-market, similar to Audi and MB in the C-pillar area, especially in Silver. Some buyers want that, others see its sports sedan nature and want to build on it. That's why they make corn flakes and wheaties -- choice! We are talking 4-door sedans here, not coupes.

When I did a "build to order" on MazdaUSA.com a pop-up said the stand-alone ABS/Traction Control option would not be avialable until February. Seems to me Mazda's suppliers are having problems ramping up and that is causing build and special order problems.

Also keep in mind that many of Mazda's traditional buyers are among the unemployed, it's Christmas and shopping time, and not car-buying time. Many don't want to go through snow and ice with a new car, spring being better. The first cars off the line usually sit around for a while. The big ad campaine just started with double-page-spreads in major car magazines and on TV. Give it time.

fowler3
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the 6 wagon/hatch, RX-8 and Mazda3 (5dr hatch) to come out before my next purchase.

My wife just put down a deposit for a P5 (6 was too big for her tastes, especially the turning circle...her parking lot at work is really parsimonious on the spaces and the aisle width between the rows).
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    where the european M6s are made?

PS: the sticker of the 6 at my local dealer still put 36months/50000miles for warranty! I couldn't test drive, they have 6 or 7 M6s there, all in automatic. ;-(
  • Options
    coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    It's here!!!! Test drove it yesterday. What a car. That's all I can say. You have to drive it for yourself.

Point of Contact:
    Mr. Ainsley Dalrymple Ph# 410-8792069
    Heritage Mazda/Kia
    710 Belair Road
    Bel Air, MD 21014
  • Options
    ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    are imported from Japan...
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    thanks Ickes_mobile
  • Options
    novicecarguynovicecarguy Member Posts: 8
    if you're waiting for the hatch, it may be a good
    idea to let mazda know. they do a pretty good job of getting back to you. it may help. you never know. customerAssistance@mazdausa.com
  • Options
    mechman1mechman1 Member Posts: 9
    as nice as those in most European sedans. But, that doesn't matter to me when my A4 is in the shop for a broken turbo wastegate actuator, a clutch master and slave cylinder replacemnt, cruise control switch repl., etc. Plus, the switch ergonomics on even the new A4s is still not as good as your basic Honda, Mazda or Toyota. You don't put small, sliding switches on the end of a stalk!!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
  • Options
    Hey, I just got in from a business trip and happened to see that message while catching up. I think it was posted end of last week.
  • Options
    philconardphilconard Member Posts: 3
    I've been watching the evalution of the Mazda 6 release and I finally got to test drive one the other day. Wow! Impressive! Just a few things that come to mind.

It appears that Mazda took all the good from the Accord, Camery and Passat and built the 6. I own a 2000 Accord, and I saw a lot of similarities and answers to all my little grips.

I'm currently in the market for another car(keeping my accord). I've looked at the following:

2003 Accord
    Boy did they make it ugly and you do not even get 4 wheel disk breaks on the base model. The 6 gives this to you.

2003 Camery
    Definately not a drivers car, floats around like a boat. You can DRIVE the 6.

2002.5 Passat
    Can anyone say Premium Gas. The 6 is happy with 87 octain.

My test drive of the 6i was great, but unfortunately they did not have a 5 speed on the lot. They will be calling me in next week. I just hope they do not bring a Blue 6i 5 Speed with the Premium package, I'm not ready to buy. I do not want a new car to drive in the winter. I also want them to work out the problems on the line on someone else's 6, not mine.

Zoom...Zooom...
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Drove a 6s, and was very impressed with the handling. No BMW, but a very enjoyable ride. Thought the V6 power was good, not great. The shiftable 5 speed is a bit slow to shift. The car looks gorgeous in person. The interior is a bit dissapointing. I found the front seats a bit hard, and the plastics on the cheap side. Still, the car is officially in my shopping list, it is a great value.
  • Options
    jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    They are a mix of S and I's. Only one 5 speed i in stock, a base model i, with plastic wheel covers, groan! But, they are here, and I will test drive both an i and s today. Look for my write up this afternoon. Yes!
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    Given the wagon will most likely be priced higher than the sedan, does anyone have any idea how the hatch will be priced once it comes stateside?
  • Options
    jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Went over to the dealership at lunch time, and the salesguy said "no 6's till next week or the next. Why does the Masda USA web site, which pulled up the Sunnyvale dealership as nearest to me, post over 10 6's in stock? Misleading - maybe its their allotement for the month of Dec. But still, they should not list them as available.

Oh well, the wait continues....
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    has a bunch of 6's now. It seems that, in general, the Maryland/Delaware/DC/Virginia area finally has cars. Now that we've been teased the past month, let the REALLY serious price gouging begin!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Great news! I will more than likely go on Black Friday and check one out. Very curious to test drive one.
  • Options
    Same thing happened in Cincinnati. The MazdaUSA site had them listed in their inventory, but they arrived 2 days later. Maybe they post them in their inventory when they ship from the plant?
  • Options
    smo615smo615 Member Posts: 15
    The email did not say when the wagon/hatchback woujld make it to the US. Just that they were confirming that these models would be offered in the US.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Don't they just import the wagon and hatch from Japan in the meantime? This way, I know I'll get my requirement of folding mirrors!

The 6 does not have foldaway mirrors which was a disappointment to me. I like most everything else. Every other Mazda sold here has foldaway mirrors.
  • Options
    altersysaltersys Member Posts: 56
    it's misleading and annoying but yeah, mazda's "inventory" reports are really allocations.

-Alt
  • Options
    texaschick23texaschick23 Member Posts: 4
    I guess I should expect to pay MSRP if I want a Mazda6 right now....the way these things are flying off the lots-it might be a while before they will go for lower than MSRP.
  • Options
    for price quote on 6i, when I clicked on ABS/TC at $400, a message popped up -- "This item will not be available until February". In other words you can't order ABS/TC alone, you may have to order a package to get it.

Same with moonroof, you have to buy the Sport Package. I didn't check leather trim but wouldn't be surprised if that, too, is part of the Sport Package.

The problem with ordering the 6s is the included automatic climate system, wondering if that won't cut fuel economy more with the A/C cutting on and off?

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the color selections, looks like Mazda is still too conservative. The Steel Grey needs to be lighter than Black by a wide margin; the only alternative to Silver is the Sepang Green, whatever Sepang is; too many sporty colors; White needs to be more mellow, warmer, not the white used on commercial vans. That Lapis Blue -- ugh! Buy an MP3 if you like that.

Sepang Green may be similar to the silver-green I have seen on some Chrysler 300 models and, the MPV's Sage Green, might look cool. Mazda should have used the Silver from the MPV, it's beautiful, almost platinum high-gloss effect.

fowler3
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I am curious as to what people are paying for them but nobody has bought one yet. At least not in this forum. Maybe I need to search around.
  • Options
    jaman_cajaman_ca Member Posts: 13
    Just got back from a dealer in the Toronto area. I'm interested in a Mazda 6 GS with the sport package. With the Ford X-Plan its about $24500 plus taxes. So all in all a pretty good deal I think.
  • Options
    $24500 Canadian? That's about $1,000 in US dollars isn't it? :):)
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    The X-plan exists in Canada? Tell me more about it: how do you get in it? what dealers offer it?...

What dealer did you talk to? I'm in TO also, that's why I'm asking. Did they say late January? That's what Avante/North Toronto told me. Did they get the Mazdaspeed 3 yet?

24.5K is good, same as an Accord 4cyl auto. But unlike it the 6 looks good and performs too!

Dinu
  • Options
    Most of you guys just have it out for the Accord don't you? The 6 is not without faults I'm sure .. but I won't know til I test drive one.
  • Options
    Funny joke. NOT!

That's about $15806 US at 1.55%. Keep in mind we must add 15% tax on that. Price w/tax incl = $18177 US.

Anyone gonna visit Toronto come January/February when we get them? I'll can rent you a nice furnished, clean room (my room) for a small fee of $2.000 US/week. I heard they go for $21.000 US, so you will save $1.000 right? (18K+2K=$20K US)

Dinu
    Yours in affordable accomodations in the Toronto area :)
  • Options
    The Accord is butt-ugly!

I was one of the very few people here that actually liked and still do like the 98-02 Accords very much. I love how they look and especially that 5spd manual tranny!

But the new one is like a hunchback in my eyes.

Dinu
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Most of you guys just have it out for the Accord don't you?"

Not me. Like dinu, I thought the previous gen Accord was very nice. People said it was bland, but I liked it alot, better than any car in it's class. I've owned two Hondas myself, a Prelude and an Integra. Having said that, the new Accord is plain ol' ugly. Everything else about the car is appealing except for the looks. OTOH, the only thing that really bugs me about the Mazda6 is the fake metal trim on the dash. I can live with that. Actually, I do live with that in my Protege. I cannot live with a car that looks like the 2003 Accord. I'm sure there are many people who will though, but that doesn't concern ME. IMO, the Accord's fatal flaw is it's styling. It has to be the worst design Honda has EVER put out. The old Civic 4X4 wagons looked better. Usually, Honda styling doesn't generate such strong feelings.
  • Options
    http://www.mazda.no/

1. Mazda6 AWD

Sporty, elegant og trygg. Med 162 hk og elektronisk 4WD

- Sporty, elegant, 162HP 2.3L AWD

Konseptmodell: Mazda6 MPS

Kjøremaskin i særklasse med 250 hk. og elektronisk 4WD!

- Concept vehicle, 250HP, AWD

I think that's what it says...

Click on the pics to see some info and more pics.

Dinu

• Options
    Do you speak Norwegian? Take a look there and give us some info. The RX-8 is due for the summer 2003 in Norway...

Dinu
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    don't speak Norwegian. I'm third generation. A bunch of my relatives do though. It sounds kinda funny.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    On the mazda6insider.com site they are advertizing the 6i with Sport Package, only $19910!

The only problem is that you can't get a 6i with just the Sport Package. Duh!

OK, in February you can get a 6i with Premium and Sport Packages, but that is $20710, not $19910.
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    1. The Mazda 6 is a refreshing entry in the till-recently boring midsize class. Sporty handling and decent looks have been missing in that category. And it's more refined than the Nissan Altima, its primary performance challenger.

2. The Mazda 6 will have sales problems if they do not get their options combinations straight. Having to get Bose stereos and sunroofs to get side airbags won't sit well with consumers shopping on the lower end of the Mazda 6 price range. And having to take a lot of side skirting and "sporty" aero stuff to get 17" wheels will run off a lot of mature buyers.

3. Previous snide comments notwithstanding, if you're President of the United States, have an MBA from an Ivy League school, flew jet fighters(ever see how many dials and switches those old fighters had?), and ran successful businesses, you are not dumb or a "bubba". How many people calling him that even have a bachelor's degree from the local community college? If you equate brain power with how smoothly and slick someone can talk, you should vote for your local car salesman next time.

4. Mazda dropped the ball in a few areas with the 6 that caused me to buy another make. Slightly plasticy looking exterior that is handsome, but just doesn't look upscale, slight HP/torque deficit vs. competion, faddish metallic interior trim, and the fact that this is a great $21,000 car, but optioned up, it got close enough to the near-lux models for me to pick one of them.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    So what did you buy?
  • Options
    silva6silva6 Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like someone needs to look up the word "fact" because he/she clearly has it twisted.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
  • Options
    sparky52tsparky52t Member Posts: 13
    When my beloved '91 626 with 140,000 miles finally bites the dust I'm gonna buy a 6. I've test driven one, I like the looks but I'm willing to wait a while to get the bugs knocked out of it before I buy. But the one thing I fear is that Mazda's done away with the good 'ol vent oscillator! That still impresses passengers on a hot summers day.

Say it ain't so Mazda!!!
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Well, I must say that I had quite an interesting visit at our Mazda Dealer yesterday afternoon. I was picking up some Touch-Up paint for our MPV , so I decided to look at a 6. They had quite a few on the lot.

There were literally dozens of people looking at them. I am not over estimating either. They had one Black 6s with everything and a 5-speed manual. It had the body aero items, spoiler etc.... They also had two other S' and several i'. None with the aero packedge.

There was a line to drive the black one! I kid you not! It was the sales managers car. This was at 5pm est on a weekday.

I have a good feeling about this!!!!!

Mark.

p.s. brucec35. If you actually look into W's flight record in the ANG you would find that he was rated quite low in his ability. His TT in AC was well below average. Not to argue. Just facts. : )
  • Options
    choppermakerchoppermaker Member Posts: 31
    In the past 2 weeks I've taken out a 6i automatic and (yes!) a 6s 5-speed manual. I was impressed with the 6i's handling and composure on the highway, but I really can't recommend the automatic transmission. I might be spoiled by the 5-speed in my current Audi, but the automatic in the Mazda struck me as quite slow to react to a heavy foot.

The 6s, on the other hand, was much more to my liking. The engine was quick, especially above 4000 rpm, and the clutch was slick with a short travel. I'm still divided over the shifter, though. It felt a little ratchety to me, and when in even numbered gears it felt too close to my body. I'm going to head back to the dealer soon and take another one out, to get a better feel for it.

Over all, the Mazda 6 in either configuration is a great buy. I was much more impressed with the leather than with the cloth. I had enough head room with a moonroof (I'm 6'1"). I could manage to sit in the back seat "behind myself", but I don't know if I'd want to do it for a long trip. Still, it's about 3-4" of legroom more than my Audi. Cruising on the highway, both models were actually quieter than my car, even up to 90 mph.

For those who are interested, I found a dealer near where I work that is more than happy to order a car for me at S-Plan pricing. Which means that I can get a loaded 6s for just over $23,000. Now to go back and decide if I want to go with the manual transmission...
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    BTW my Protege is quiet too, when I don't have my hearing aids in. (Sounds like you need a pair). Without them the PRO is quiet. Even my 82 Diesel Jetta which can be heard a mile away is tolerable. I may be super sensitive with them in, especially if I turn the volume up. But my ES PRO definitely has wind noise and the Dunlop 5000's seem to add to it. If I start the radio at 3 notches on idle, I have to go to 4 or 5 to hear it clearly at highway speeds.
    We can do without a new car right now, but in a year or so, I'll be ready and Parks might get my business again. The dealers around here have irritated me and turned me off in the past for one reason or the other. Besides if I wait a year or maybe even 2-3 years I could have as much as $2,000 credit to apply from my credit card on the purchase of a new (or used) any model car.