Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stop Changing Your Oil

Comments

• Options
    usmcwo3usmcwo3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer with 132,000 miles that has had nothing but Mobile 1 and averaging12,000 miles between oil changes. This was my company vehicle which I just brought for my wife to drive. I never let the "Oil Life % Remaining" go below 10% and usually changed the oil at 20% remaining. I have no doubt that it will last well over 200,000 miles.

I have be using Mobile 1 in everything I drive for many years. And as some have stated, “cheap insurance”. Yes it is. Synthetic oil never wears out or “burns up” it only gets dirty as all oils do. That being said I replaced the oil filter at 4-6000 miles between oil changes.

If you never replace your oil no engine will last. If you have money to waste on unneeded oil changes, good for you…
  • Options
    danwat1234danwat1234 Member Posts: 27
    Well I have a 1999 Civic with 226,000 miles on it and I just change the oil every 5,000 miles and use a quality oil filter (Pureone).
    3,000 miles is too frequent unless your engine is spewing coolant, fuel or lots of combustion byproducts into the oil (seals are done for).

Keep in mind that the oil recommendations in the manual are for the oil quality rating and the stock oil filter that comes with the car.
    If you have an older car, then now days you will put in higher quality oil than when the car is new, and you can get higher quality oil filters without much of a price hike, further reducing the need for 3000 miles oil change intervals.

That being said, some engines naturally burn a bit of oil so anybody who has a car should know how much oil their car burns per x000 miles and know when to add a quart. Some engines use more than a quart per 3000 miles and so I guess the 3,000 mile oil change recommendation has some use for the newbs out there so it doesn't get low.
  • Options
    danwat1234danwat1234 Member Posts: 27
    I should also say with my '99 Civic with 226,000 miles on it, I recently did a 5,300 oil change interval+1qt top off, using 10w30 Chevron Supreme non-synthetic oil, I submitted the oil for an analysis and it came back that said that the oil still had some life left in it, although it was getting close with the additives package starting to get low.
    http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/danwat1234/myhondacivicoilanalysis-danielwatkins.png
  • Options
    tdinsighttdinsight Member Posts: 4
    I years ago went to 5000 miles conventional and 10.000 synthetic for oil changes and have had no problems including 2 vehicles driven to 200,000 miles. Sinced then I have owned about 10-12 cars or light trucks from GM, Honda, Ford, VW, and Chrysler. I see my share of problems from air conditionr, transmissions, ppower windows etc but never an engine. I think people get in trouble because they rarely have to check the oil on a 3000 mile schedule so they get ou of the habit. A car with 130k miles may or may not make it 10,000 miles without gettig dagerously low on oil. I still change oil frequently in air cooled engies like motorcycles or lawn tractors.
  • Options
    shanflixshanflix Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Tacoma has 160,000 miles and it still runs great because I change the oil and Filter often. I don't necessarily change at 3,000 miles, more like 5,000 - 7000. But 15000 miles to me sounds a bit excessive for an interval. It's not just the oil, it's the filter that's a factor here. It can only filter effectively for so long.
  • Options
    captainchaos87captainchaos87 Member Posts: 1
    It makes sense that newer oil can last longer. But while that may apply to todays drivers who drive "normal" or who drive less miles than many commuters, there is a factor you forget. The fact that many Americans put their cars through rough driving such as traveling, extreme conditions etc. The 3,000 mile interval while outdated should serve as general rule of thumb only applying to those who put excessive miles on their vehicle. What the oil manufacturers are doing is confusing those who know nothing about preventive maintenance. Also with many auto part stores and mechanics offering free oil recycling, there is not really an impact on the environment if one changes their oil every 3,000 miles.
  • Options
    caaronscaarons Member Posts: 2
    shepperd, if I listen to you I'll change my 30.6 qts of $8/qt Delvac in my Unimog every 3000 mi/80 hrs. But I think I'll lean towards Mercedes which recommends every 1200 hrs.
  • Options
    yeah_huhyeah_huh Member Posts: 1
    Aww cm'on. I'm sure the Oil industry has our best interests at heart. You know they do. Just trust them. I mean if its good enough for my friend's Dad's great Uncle then its good enough for me. Never mind that I've never changed my oil less than 7K miles in any car I've owned for the last 20 years and never seen any ill effects. I know deep inside that it really *needs* to be changed every 3K and that I'm just a slacker. I'm sure God's swift judgement will find me soon
  • Options
    russ1449russ1449 Member Posts: 1
    I used to be a courier and had 3 minivans over the course of my employment . I changed the oil faithfully every 3000 miles. One van I ran up to 300,000 miles' another had around 210,000 miles before I lost it in a flood and the last I am still driving after retirement, it has 235,000 miles on it. Anyone reading this article should be very skeptical about what this guy is telling them. Change that oil!
  • Options
    jamus1jamus1 Member Posts: 0
    I own an 06 bimmer 330xi - like all bimmers from this era, there is no dip-stick; there is an "automatic" detector, sort of a dummy light should the pressure run low - no way to determine the level or quality. Such arrogance is troubling to me - I like to stay close to the engine and this breaks the last connection.
    Does anyone know of a method to determine oil level? My "!" "Service required" light is now on so I guess that I'll have to bite another service bill to be safe.
  • Options
    bob250bob250 Member Posts: 1
    2003 Honda Civic hybrid, 248K miles, oil changes 8-12K (random). Uses about 1/2 qrt /10K. For 240k I drove at 74, now 60(25% better mileage).

YMMV
  • Options
    ohnesorgohnesorg Member Posts: 1
    Never known anyone to address this question. I change oil every 3000 miles, which is to say about every 9 months. I use Mobil 1 and most of my driving is short trips. It was always my understanding that, once the acids get into the oil, it's only a matter of TIME that the oil will break down. In my case, the 3000 mile thing tells me nothing, unless someone can explain how much TIME the oil will last in my car before breaking down and in need of replacement.
  • Options
    autoengineer4autoengineer4 Member Posts: 1
    A very bad article without any 'then do it this way' guidance to boot. Seriously, I've designed many automotive components during my career, and rebuilt hundreds of U.S. automotive engines in my life for hobby usage. There ARE a lot of 'wrong statements' and 'misunderstandings' about oil, from which weight to use, why to use a certain weight of oil, to how long to leave it in the vehicle to optimize the engine life.

First, you have to understand when and how viscosity breaks down. If you understand viscosity, you can get viscosity 'cups' at a local NAPA and check your own. When you start seeing serious viscosity breakdown, it is normally time to change your oil. I have a Dodge 318 that can go 6,000 miles between changes. I have a Ford 302 in my truck that can't get more than 4,500 miles without needing a change. A lot of that is due to under-hood engine temperature build-up. I have had a Ford 351 Windsor in a Mustang that could go up to almost 7,000 miles without a change...it's all about the thermal breakdown of viscosity and lubricity that actually requires an oil change to occur.

Keep in mind, you can nearly DOUBLE the mileage of merely 'dirty oil' by a 2,000 mile filter change...where all you do is change-out your on-engine filter...and keep in mind, not all filters are created equally, either. The junk is sold in most big-box stores, while better filters like K-N, NAPA and WIX are quite a bit more in cost...you get what you pay for, still.

As for oil weight...it TOO, goes a long way in oil life. When in doubt, use your owners manual to select properly. New tight-tolerance engines can normally fare very well on light weight oils, and Ford is KNOWN for using 5-W-20 and 5-W-30 weights, while many older Dodges loved 10-W-40 and even 20-W-50 weights. Keep in mind, colder climates mean thinner oils, while hotter climates require thicker oils...get it wrong, and you will be paying for a LOT of replaced bearings, quickly. (Tear down an engine that has been ran on the wrong weight oil, for too long, and you'll understand a lot better how oil can fail...and what you have to do to keep it alive).
  • Options
    monzaracermonzaracer Member Posts: 1
    OK so here it is from an actual ASE Master Tech. I agree, SOME counts. Does EVERYONE ned a 3k oil change NO. BUT with typical 24.99 LOF, your only spending alittle over $800 in 100k of service. Should other fluids be ignored for100 or more. NO.
    Ever see some of those 100k coolant flushes? GUNK CITY.
    Using certain fastlube shops get you BIG tickets.
    While good service is hard too find, there are reputable shops . Use the severe service intervals will help keep your car reliable.
    Biggest reason for 3mo/3k recommendation is you REALLY should at least open your hood that often, and many people go 5k 10k even 20k on service. Then wonder why car breaks down.
    IT IS UP TOO YOU HOW OFTEN YOU SERVICE YOUR CAR. Not me or that sticker, thats a suggstion, just like cabin/air filter,etc.
    Synthetics, blends, high mileage all work better, but reg oil is fine if changed regularly.
    I have seen NEW cars with 25k on LOF. Sure IF you analyze you oil you would have better clue on its life.
    Ever see Dexcool as it gets old. Not pretty.
  • Options
    strongsongstrongsong Member Posts: 1
    Good story except, to state that Mobil 1 Extended Performance "is guaranteed for 15,000," is not precisely true. It is my understanding that it is guaranteed up to 15,000 miles in normal service, not severe service. Amsoil Signature Series oil, which I use and purchase as a preferred customer (I am not a dealer and do not sell it as part of their multi-level marketing business plan) is guaranteed up to 15,000 in servere service. "Up to" is an important caveat. I have used Mobil 1 and it is a fine oil, as are most modern synthetics of any brand.
  • Options
    yangc11yangc11 Member Posts: 1
    What about seafoam?
    Would anyone recommend it for vehicles? new or old
  • Options
    markinidaho_markinidaho_ Member Posts: 1
    Decades ago, oil change intervals were studied in the New York City cab fleet. Using 1980's engines and oils, they studies different change intervals, oils, and filter combination over the expected life of the engines. They tested the classic repurposed Crown Vic police versions, too. They ran the engines 100,000 miles or more, I don't remember the total mileage tested. When they tore the test engines down, they found no difference in engine wear. They tested synthetics of the day, too. They found the only variable that made any difference was filter quality. Their only recommendation was to avoid cheap oil filters and be sure to change the filter with every 5000 or so oil change.
    And, that was with the old engines that had a break in period because the machining tolerances were so poor.
    I have 3 Chevy V-8s (sbc) with 175,000 miles of 5000 to 6000 mile oil changes that still do not burn oil and still get great gas mileage.
    The more important component is the auto tranny. Keeping the tranny fluid clean will keep the tranny lasting as long at the engine. No need for tranny filters, just a good flush when the fluid shows it is getting dark.
  • Options
    senko5senko5 Member Posts: 1
    Please stop talking about synthetic oil is more money because is not.Maybe you will pay $10 more for oil but you change oil two time less often then conventional oil.I pay $50 for oil change with mobile one and i do it every 10k miles and i bet you can not pay less to change twice with regular oil.
  • Options
    rbgrahamrbgraham Member Posts: 1
    I always heard that if you drive 1 to 3 miles to work that the engine does not get hot enough to get rid of the gasoline that can seep in the engine thus needing more oil changes to keep from thinning the oil the guy showing this on TV let the oil that came out of the car that made these short trip and it exploded as if was pure gasoline.
  • Options
    sylvanedegesylvanedege Member Posts: 1
    Oil never wears out, it only gets dirty and and contaminated. There are lifetime filter units available that you only have to change the cartridge and they have and electric unit that burns off the imputrities, so you never have to change your oil.
  • Options
    tonymontana2tonymontana2 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1985 Toyota Celica. 355,000 miles before I sold it. Rarely changed the oil.
    Ran a 1990 Honda up 511,000 miles rarely changed the oil. If I did it was 15,000 to 20,000 miles between changes. Maybe I was just lucky.
  • Options
    jrj90620jrj90620 Member Posts: 1
    I get oil and oil filters so cheap by taking advantage of periodic sales.Change oil and filter every 4K.Recycle all old oil.So,if I can change it myself for less than $5 and it doesn't take that much time,why not.Also gets me more involved with paying attention to other fluids and maintenance,that I would ignore,if I wasn't doing oil changes.For people who trade their cars in often,probably no reason to change oil much.
  • Options
    simpleguy68simpleguy68 Member Posts: 1
    Shepperd, an engine seizing at 74k has other issues besides oil. I had a '97 Chevy S10 that I ran synthetic at 12k OCI. I sold it when it had 128k on it and it had NO issues, not even a leak. Talked to the owner a few weeks ago and the vehicle now has 184k on it and still runs GREAT.
  • Options
    mjohansenmjohansen Member Posts: 1
    Hmm, lets think about this for 2 seconds. Cost of changing the oil when it's not really necessary: maybe $30 at a garage, $15 if you do it yourself. Cost of not changng the oil when it IS necessary: $2500 and up for a new engine. I think I'll continue to err on the side of changing more often than might be necessary.

(BTW I don't know where you're going that they charged you $90. I suggest you find another garage. My last garage oil change cost me $23, with synthetic oil. The cost of an air filter the garage sold you is irrelevant: if you needed it, that's a maintenance task not related to oil changes. If you didn't need it, that's your susceptability to a good saes pitch, again not related to optimum frequency of oil changes.)

Mabe 3000 miles is way too often. But I don't want to know what the longest I can possibly wait is, so that I am probably safe if driving conditions have been reasonably typical and all is going well, etc. I want to know what the earliest is that is at all likely to be necessary to prevent a problem. If on the average 10,000 miles between oils changes is fine, then that means that half the time it is not fine. Given the huge risk of changing oil too late, it makes sense to be cautious.

What's next? Don't bother stopping at traffic lights? After all, the odds are the other guy will stop when he sees you run the light. You could save 5 minutes a day by not stopping for traffic lights, which adds up to over 30 hours a year!

Another BTW: Please skip the silly psychoanalysis of how people change oil too often because it makes them feel in control in a complex world etc etc. Umm, no. Sometimes people have different opinions from you because they, too, have carefully examined the facts and have come to different conclusions. Maybe they're right and maybe they're wrong. But every time someone disagree with you, it is not a symptom of mental illness that requires psychotherapy. Sometimes they just disagree.
  • Options
    katmandu2katmandu2 Member Posts: 13
    @shepperd (below).... The 4.3L engine in your S10 blew up because the connecting rods are too skinny and do NOT hold up.

Everyone says the 4.3L V6 is the same as a smallblock V8 minus the 2 rear cylinders. It is except for the skinnier connecting rod
  • Options
    peetengineerpeetengineer Member Posts: 1
    There can only be one reason behind this article - give false reassurance to those who don't maintain their cars properly, so they will fail prematurely and need to buy a new one sooner! Clever tactic to stimulate the market, but very poor car maintenance advice.

The oil change interval in the maintenance manual for your car is an upper limit determined by the engineer who wrote it - you need to change your oil BFFORE you reach that number. Changing your oil early doesn't hurt the engine, it helps it! Over time, thermal stress and contamination reduces the lubrication effectiveness of the oil and breaks it down - it is an engineered fluid designed to maintain fluid film lubrication between moving parts, but when that film is no longer effective, metal-to-metal contact occurs and the engine begins to grind itself to pieces, and then microscopic metallic particulates not captured by the filter will further accelerate engine wear and sludging. Your engine life IS finite, but changing the oil is the singularly the most important thing you can do to extend that life.
    This is why for instance in small aircraft where flawless engine operation is paramount they typically have an oil change every 40 hours of tach time - that's equivalent to a 1500-2000 mile oil change in a car! Next think about Irv Gordon's million-mile Volvo, you want to know his trick for achieving such longevity? He followed the maintenance manual, and had the engine overhauled ONCE in a million miles. That's it... if you simply meet or best the recommended maintenance (and OIL CHANGE) intervals, your car will last forever. THE END.
  • Options
    stu788stu788 Member Posts: 1
    There's a lot of great information in the article above, but I do have a question! Honda claims that it is acceptable for their vehicles to burn through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Does anyone else agree with their philosophy?
  • Options
    aircraftmdaircraftmd Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1986 3/4 ton Chevy w/305 eng Canadian made. Changed oil every 10 years, ran great and still going after I sold it.
    Used Texaco Hav.
    George
  • Options
    mrtdwmrtdw Member Posts: 1
    Nowhere in the article is it suggested than anybody exceed te oil change interval recommendd by the manufacturer.

Regardless of change interval you stil have to maintain your oil level. If an engine has seized it is certainly from too little oil or overheating not too old oil.

I've run 4 vehicles to 150,000 + miles using one year or 15,000 mile changes with zero problems and the engines are mirror clean inside.

You can't run 15,000 miles on the cheap stuff but you can still run it at least twice as far as the 3,000 miles the Jiffy Luber crooks reommend.

Botom line, read and trust what your owner's manual says over people that sell oil.
  • Options
    giacogiaco Member Posts: 2
    Not hogwash at all. I have been using the best oil I can find - a full synthetic that is warranted to last 25,000 miles/1 year - for nearly 15 years. I change it every year, since I only put about 12,000 miles a year on my vehicle, but I change the filter every six months and the air filter whenever it starts to look dirty. Clean in an engine is good. We have two vehicles with 160,000 miles each on them. Both have original engines and automatics in them. They still run like new - no smoke and good gas mileage. I also change the ATF every couple of years and the coolant every 5 years. Every synthetic is a bit different from others, but if you do your homework, you can save money, time and your machinery by using top quality lubricants.
  • Options
    giacogiaco Member Posts: 2
    stu788 - (1 qt/1000 miles?) I disagree, but Ford had a similar policy many years ago. The worst engine I ever had used a quart every 3,000 or so, and I thought that was bad. Most of my cars go at least 8,000 miles on a quart. HOWEVER - if you accelerate hard or drive extra fast most of the time, you will definitely use more oil. I've noticed this on trips where we go up some long mountain roads and the engine has to work extra hard. Smaller engines may use more oil because they have to work harder.
  • Options
    savage9savage9 Member Posts: 1
    I'm no environmentalist, but I totally agree with the point of this article. The number one reason for me is simply the cost of changing oil. Cheap insurance? Not as cheap as it used to be by any means.

I've been thinking about it for some time and I'm glad that we are starting to see some writing on the topic.

Of course this applies primarily to new/modern, healthy engines. Additionally, my son spent some time working for Jiffy Lube and I've definitely gained some insight on this scam. I drive and '94 GMC and an '01 Jeep, and after many years of believing the 3000 mile hype, I no longer think much about an oil change until around 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    ronaldleemhuisronaldleemhuis Member Posts: 1
    If one's driving habits do not change much over time, and if one sticks with the same type of oil, one can have the oil analyzed for viscosity, acid neutralizing capacity (TBN) and other relevant properties. As long as the oil tests out in a satisfactory range, there is no need to change the oil.
  • Options
    dabiffdabiff Member Posts: 0
    Unfortunately, there is a lot of ignorance on the subject of motor oils and engine oil changes -- and much of it on behalf of mechanics and lifelong "gearheads."

First, every auto manufacturer uses SYNTHETIC oils exclusively on current (2010+) vehicles. Technology in synthetics has advanced sharply, where you can now go 20,000 miles between changes on a *Porsche* which is one of the most "severe condition" vehicles there is (Porsche drivers tend to "use" their car's performance attributes).

My 2010 TDI (Diesel) Jetta Sportwagen has an OCI (oil change interval) of 10,000 mile. However, that is specifically for we under-educated Americans, as the very same car, with the very same engine, using the very same oil, in EUROPE has an OCI of 30,000km (almost 20,000 miles). My last OC happened at just shy of 11,000 miles. I took a sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs for testing (it's cheap, and it's all they do) and the report came back stating that I could have gone another 5,000 miles on the spent oil.

Lastly, something no one talks about, is the fact that -- believe it or not -- changing your oil TOO frequently can actually CAUSE damage. How, you ask? Well, in *all* modern synthetic oils there is something called a "detergent package" that is designed to break down particles and buildup left behind by the outgoing oil and hold them in suspension until the next change. These detergents break down within the first 1,000 miles of a fresh OC. If you increase the detergent cycle to DOUBLE that of the recommended OCI it is very similar to washing clean clothes. Do it too frequently, and you may actually contribute to premature wear of internal engine components by doing the very thing you believe you are avoiding.

This is what I do, and my information, while not meant to be comprehensive, is accurate. If you change your oil at 3,000 mile intervals in any modern car (2007 or better), and use a quality synthetic of proper weight, you are harming your finances, possibly your car, and the environment, while achieving absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
  • Options
    kassdeckkassdeck Member Posts: 1
    I work at one of "those places" and we now make the sticker the date and mileage of the DAY you got your oil changed and advise that you consult you manual to know when your next visit is recommended. Jiffy Lube is getting sued. I remember a year ago they told me I would ruin my car if I didn't get synthetic... my car doesn't require synthetic. When I made a fuss the manager gave me a free oil change. At the time, I thought he was being nice... Ha. Oh well...
  • Options
    biketech26biketech26 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post to this site, I created an account just to respond to this article because I am slack-jawed STUNNED by it. I'm in a fairly unique position in that I'm a certified mechanic, but I work for a shop that makes aftermarket electrical parts; we don't do oil changes. I'm therefore both knowledgeable AND objective.

This article is absolute BS. It should be a crime to put this stuff out. The thing about changing your oil, it's not the oil itself that wears out, it's the additives. That's why manufacturers are eager to get used oil back, they can just inject new additives and re-sell it. Yes, your car can go 7,000 miles between oil changes. "Can" doesn't mean "should". Running an engine with worn-out oil is begging disaster. It costs 30 bucks to have your oil changed. I spent more than that on the pizza I just had delivered (OK, I bought a few appetizers with it). Want to know how much it costs to repair a blown head gasket or a seized piston? No, you don't.

Forget you ever read this article, and change your oil every 3000 miles. Or less. Those additives start going away the second the oil hits the engine, you can't change it too much.

Whoever wrote this article is either utterly ignorant about engines and oil or has been bought by a junkyard dealer looking to sell used engines. This article is completely, 100% WRONG!! You can take 100,000 miles off your engine by not changing the oil. Looked at the price of new cars lately? I have. A lot more than having a pizza delivered (again, yes, I got chicken wings too and gave the driver a big tip, my point still stands).

What really concerns me is that comments like mine are being overwhelmingly thumbs-downed. That means the vast majority of readers are buying into this nonsense. I can guarantee that no one who thumbs-downed comments against this article are mechanics, any mechanic worth his ratchet would tell you this article is a total farce.

Hey, maybe I shouldn't be against it. If everyone changes their oil every 7800 miles instead of 3000, in 5 years time there's going to be a lot of burned engines I can rebuild for a profit. So yeah, go ahead. Take 100,000 miles off your engine's life so you can get a pedicure at Wal-Mart. Good trade.

Shaking my head in disgust at this utterly ridiculous article, clearly written by someone who has no idea what he's talking about, never rebuilt an engine, probably doesn't even know the difference between an intake valve and piston ring unless someone explained it to him. Stuff like this makes me re-think my staunch defense of the 1st Amendment.
  • Options
    shilohscshilohsc Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 2005 chevy z71 and now a 2011 gmc sierra. I can tell you that if you reset the oil life monitoring system it will not come on again for another, guessing here (4,000+ miles). In my 05, mobile 1 full synthetic was run the whole time, and I always went double, so it was always changed between 6,000 and 10,000 miles. The truck is still running good, fellow down the road owns it now, and he has be driving the heck out of it. I know that it had 124,000 miles when it was sold, it probably has close to 180,000 on it now. As for the GMC, I'm planning on doing the same. I don't know if I'd skip 2 or 3 cycles, but I do skip one. Both trucks were driven daily to work and back, and on the weekends pulled a triton tr21 with a 225 motor up and down the interstate to the lake and back.
  • Options
    cadabra666cadabra666 Member Posts: 0
    I agree with shepperd.

I think the engine's crankcase oil needs to be considered as just one part of the lubrication system, albeit a major part. To focus so much attention on just the new oil is misleading. The filtering process, is also a major part. Other less obvious aspects such as crankcase volume, engine cooling, and crankcase ventilation play their roles as well.

Nonetheless, the fact that the crankcase is NOT a closed hydraulic system is the major consideration. The crankcase breathes, and is constantly being polluted with blow-by products of combustion from the pistons. Engine wear-factors in areas that are impossible to see and measure add some particles and friction issues, as well.
    These pollutants and wear deposits are the reasons the oil coming out of an engine is black; whereas it was golden (almost clear) when it went in.
    These pollutants not only degrade the oil's lubricity, they actually turn it into a toxic slurry that can accelerate engine wear. That's why it needs changed often. Synthetic oils are capable of standing up to extremely long, hard, use, and are not a big consideration as long as they are clean. Unless you have several enormous, lab-grade filters, and an enormous volume in the crankcase (i.e. John Deere, Mercedes-Benz) you are running on a concentration of waste products, not on clean oil, after a few months daily use. May the dirty oil user beware!
  • Options
    kenhoutzkenhoutz Member Posts: 1
    I will give you facts only. I have 327,000 miles on my 97 honda accord. I have done oil analysis since around 113,000. I have used 15,000 mile changes with mobil 1. I have done 7500 mile changes with Walmart Oil. Both have worked very well and there is little wear on my engine. Oil has had life left at every oil analysis. It uses less than 1/4 quart during the 7500 mile changes. This is the recomended oil change from Honda. Also recomends changing the filter every 15,000. I have been uncomfortable with the oil filter but have done it from time to time. It looks like this engine will go to 500,000 miles without issues.
    I also have a Mazda with 155,000 with same treatment. It is like new with zero oil consumption. It is still on the Mobil 1 at least until 300,000 miles.
    Yes 3000 miles is a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    dolphin42dolphin42 Member Posts: 0
    Indeed, I've been changing my oil (synthetic) every 20,000 miles. My current car has 180K and is still going strong. All that wasted oil!
  • Options
    really7really7 Member Posts: 1
    "and spilling an ocean of contaminated waste oil."

This is the most ridiculous statement and after reading this I wasted the 5 mins to register in order to comment on this crap. First of all waste oil is not contaminated unless the car owner or service shop has not followed proper handling guidelines. Not sure where you are from Mr. Reed but in Texas "waste oil" is properly handled then either re-refined or sold into a fuel oil market. Waste oil is far from waste and has a substantial value. While you are correct about the 3,000 mile myth with the newer cars you sadly missed the mark about "spilling an ocean of contaminated waste oil."
  • Options
    mercurycometmercurycomet Member Posts: 1
    Old article that's still being linked to... and it might be misleading for some. I agree that oil technology has changed, but there is another reason why auto manufacturers are extending fluid and service lifetimes- they have to pay for warranty service!!! For example, BMW claimed my transmission fluid is "lifetime". Then, they agreed that maybe it wasn't lifetime, but 100K miles, etc. Car manufacturers are offering 2-3 year warranties and don't want to pay for oil changes, nor spark plugs, nor coolant changes, etc. If you plan to keep your car longer, following their guidelines may not be a winning strategy.
  • Options
    phillybobphillybob Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely ridiculous! I see tons of these articles that claim you don't need to change your motor oil for 7,500 miles or longer - per manufacturers recommendations - but no one that posts these preposterous claims has any concrete suggestions as to WHY! BECAUSE THE MANUFACTURER SAYS SO! Duh! They make and sell cars, so if they can get you to ruin your engine prematurely, they'll be oh so happy to sell you a new one, or better yet a new car.
    I wish one of these idiots would address dirt beating against your rings at 4,000 rpm. Anyone with any sense would change their oil as soon as it gets dirty, if not before. Unless, of course, they are turning the car back in off of lease after three years - heck, why change it at all? Help the environment, save money and screw the next guy!
    My Dodge uses semi-synthetic with a low viscosity. After an oil change I can take a trip of a few hours each way and I need to add oil! Oh right, they did tell you to check it monthly and they'll assume you're not so stupid that you wouldn't top it up, but they don't explicitly say to keep the level up.
    Use your head people. Dirt against the rings destroys engines. Plain and simple. Screw any manufacturer's "recommendations."
  • Options
    bsodiumbsodium Member Posts: 1
    The reason the service industries still recommends frequent oil changes is because they are the ones that see the insides of these engines. You should listen to them. Car companies want there 'annual maintenance cost' to look favorable - as long as you get thru the warranty they don't care if the engine lasts.
    Interesting that my own vehicle change alert popped up at about 7,000 mile intervals in the 40-50K range. Now that it has 95K on it; it is more like 13,000 mile intervals. (Note, oil being changed on my own schedule - only observing the automated system). Clearly out of warranty now, so it gets longer even though it should get shorter, as an engine wears there is addition blow by to contaminate it. Obviously, the car company wants me in the market for a new car.
  • Options
    kyjurisdoctorkyjurisdoctor Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A LEXUS LS AND A TOYOTA AVALON AND I CHANGE OIL IN THEM ONCE A YEAR (I DRIVE ABOUT 20,00 MILES A YEAR!) WITH MOBIL ONE EXTENDED, FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL (LIKE THE ARTICLE SAYS, MOBIL GUARANTEES ENGINE FOR 15,00O MILES BETWEEN OIL CHANGES!) AND THE SAME MAKE OIL FILTER.

GET WITH PROGRAM, PEOPLE.

THESE OIL CHANGE SCAM OUTLETS CAN'T FOOL ME. WINK.
  • Options
    frezzafrezza Member Posts: 0
    I was raised back when tuneups and oil changes happened every 12000 miles. I have 2 Ford V10's that I change the oil religiously every 20,000 or 30000 miles, whenever I get the chance. One truck has 253,000 miles and the other has 200,000+. No problems with them. Also have a 2000 Montana van w/160,000+ but I change it every 15,000 to 20,000. No oil burn or use. NOT NUTZ.
  • Options
    charles95charles95 Member Posts: 1
    I truely belive in changing your oil when it lookes dirty aprox 4,000 miles. I have a 1996 gmc sierra 4x4 wth 282,000 and runs like a new truck. No oil leaks. Go ahead and keep your old oil in the truck and you will be walking like alot of my friends have had too. $20.00 oil and filter or $2500 or more engine change. Your engine will not berak down when you have money it will wait till your broke then WAM your Walking
  • Options
    lfoutslfouts Member Posts: 0
    Where can we go for the truth?? I spent 4 years on a U.S.Navy Destroyer in the engine room. I was responsible for the maintenance of the turbines, various pumps, and generators, all requiring lubrication. Guess what? We never changed the oil. Oil does not wear out. What happens is that it becomes contaminated, so we filtered it continually and cleaned it using centrifuges every 24 hours. Years ago used oil was sold after it was cleaned. The best thing you can do for your motor is keep the oil clean to minimize the damage from contaminants. No one has yet shown that synthetic oil handles contaminants better than petroleum oil. Multi-viscosity oil loose their thickening abilities after some use but that is due to the agents added to thicken under heat, not the oil itself. A single weight petroleum oil does not wear out. Synthetic oils can be made to lubricate better when there are very tight tolerances but they still get dirty. There used to be a filter product called a Franz Filter. Once installed no further oil changes were ever needed. Filtering and weight is the key.
  • Options
    lfoutslfouts Member Posts: 0
    People seem to believe what they want to believe and trust sources with an agenda more than they should. As an engineer once responsible for the maintenance of engines on U.S Navy Destroyers per Naval guidelines and scientific analysis, I can tell you that we never changed oil. It gets dirty folks, it does not wear out. We filtered it continually and cleaned it with centrifuges every 24 hours. What this article is selling is BS. Thickening agents in oil that increase viscosity do wear out quickly but the oil itself does not break down. I get real tired of so called experts saying oil wears out or breaks down. Petroleum oil lubricates; contaminants perform corrosive and abrasive functions. Synthetic oils can be engineered to provide superior lubrication for targeted applications, but they don't contain contaminants any better than petroleum based oils.
  • Options
    davidd747davidd747 Member Posts: 1
    I've been saying this for 20 years. I had a 1991 Thunderbird and had my first oil change at 33,000 miles, 2nd oil change at 43,000 miles and 3rd oil change at 53,000 miles. When I traded it in 6 years later for a newer Tbird it had 190,000 miles on it. I had been a private investigator during this period and the car was run HARD. My only complaint about the car was I replaced the transmission at 75,000 which I found out was a common occurrence at the time with that model. Unless you work for the oil companies or just like throwing your money away, you can easily go every 10,000 miles between oil changes.