Options

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I was sold on the Prelude when I took the first on-ramp onto the freeway...

In terms of raw acceleration and effective aftermarket, I think the real competition for the Mustang/F-bodies were the turbo AWD DSM Talons and Eclipses. True, there were some reliability issues, but in terms of power per mod dollar, they couldn't be beat. I'm still disappointed that Mitsubishi decided to kill the turbo AWD Eclipse in favor of the current FWD V6.

Back on topic, I remember hearing rumors of a two-door version of the RX-8 -- and I'm not talking about the RX-7. Mazda has always said that the RX-7 would be their high-end flagship sports car, with additional power and performance, but I also heard that they would introduce an RX-8 at the same price/performance point, but with two-doors. The report I read said that the four-door version would be introduced first, with a two-door RX-8 to come out later.

That was a while ago, and I don't know whether plans have changed. I'm curious whether anyone else has heard about this. If they did release a two-door RX-8 at the same price point, then that would be a great Prelude replacement...
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    lots of rumors are flying....everything from a turbo to convertable and 2 doors, all wheel drive, etc....
    I think at this point they are just rumors. My guess is alot of platform creativity will appear when the next generation Miata goes to the RX-8 platform.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    here are a couple videos showing the capabilities of the RX-8 compared to the last Japanese RX-7 model ever made.

In the first video, the RX-7 followed the RX-8. Note how far the RX-8 distanced itself from the RX-7 in the sucession of corners. The RX-7 pulled it back in the straight.

RX-7 behind RX-8

In the second video, the order is reversed, the RX-8 followed the RX-7. As soon as they are both in the corners, the RX-8 is right on the RX-7's tail. But again, the RX-7 pulled away in the straight. Also note how much steering inputs go into the RX-7 as compare to the RX-8.

RX-8 behind RX-7

enjoy!

• Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    holy mackeral....

Can we assume the RX-8 didn't have 3 passengers?

• Options
    i think we can safely assume that :-D
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    I had read about that test in one of the magazines, but I expected the RX-7 to run away and hide. The road was pretty curvy though.
    BTW, has anybody ordered an RX-8 yet? Saw three on E-bay last night and they have bids. Just called my local Mazda dealer and the salesman said 10% down will hold one for sale at list price. So far no one has reserved one there.
  • Options
    snaphooksnaphook Member Posts: 130
    When a salesman takes your deposits and agrees to sell the car at list is this a binding arrangement on the sellers part? Is there anything in writing? I have twice entered a lot after pre-negotiating a price over the phone only to find an unexpected charge. Both times the salesmen's defense was this is a charge that they incur so it has to get passed on. Both times I left.

Anyway, I have become a little skeptical. I see this taking of deposits as a no lose situation for the dealer. If he is only allocated a small number and when these vehicles arrive there are customers waiting in line willing to pay a high mark-up then I wouldn't feel too confident about the dealer honoring the agreement he made with me, at least not with the early arrivals.
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    especially that large, I would definitely want the selling price in writing, or at least "at MSRP" somewhere in the document. The salesman I am dealing with seems nice, informative and very truthful so far, but it may change if there is a sudden surge in demand, especially after the car is seen at our local car show in a couple of months.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    snaphook is right - its a no lose for the dealer, and I wouldn't take a verbal agreement unless you don't mind the possibility of paying more than agreed upon.

A friend had a deposit made early on a M3 sedan a few years back. The price had been agreed upon at the time of the deposit. When his car came in, it was promptly sold to another person who agreed to pay more. "Sorry, but that's the way it goes" he was told. I won't repeat his reply.
  • Options
    The RX-8 may or may not be a great car but I think it is a safe bet that there will be an initial period where demand far excedes supply. For car dealers and their salesmen this is a situation that doesn't come along that often and it would be very difficult not to exploit.
  • Options
    for the RX-8:

• Options
    here's a birdseye view of Mazda's Miyoshi proving ground, where the RX-8 was tested and tuned

I wanna drive on this track!!!!!

• Options
    Is a trip around the track one of those special gifts for pre-orders? ;-)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    if you work for a major automobile publication and you write glowing reviews of the RX-8.
  • Options
    And here I thought those glowing reviews were because the car is so awesome.
  • Options
    The RX-8's curb weight is now listed on the site ref'd a number of posts back:

3011 lbs (to be confirmed)

This is for the six speed.
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    And that's without a spare tire, which is "to become an accessory". Also, weight balance has changed from 50/50 to TBD.
  • Options
    That curb weight is very disappointing. I have little doubt that Mazda could have kept it well under 3000 lbs without the back seat, extra doors and added length to accomodate them. This is definitely a reflection on Mazda's priorities, balancing utility with performance. A lot of car enthusiasts would have set the balance a little closer to the performance end of the scale.
  • Options
    cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    And just how is this thing to be considered a "sports car"? It's more like a weighted sports coupe isn't it?
  • Options
    please don't bring in that whole 'what's a sports car' mumbo jumbo here!!!! keep it in that "what makes a car sporty?" thread please!!!!
  • Options
    peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    Yes, ordered one last week. Dealer did not take pre-deposits, so I should have their first one. Red with Red/Black leather and Six Speed. Told to expect April delivery. Owned a first generation RX-7 in high school and college, and really miss it. Looking forward to seeing what Mazda has been up to lately.
  • Options
    By posters here, by Mazda if you read between the lines, and by the press - If you are hoping for an RX-7 with the RX-8, you likely will be dissappointed. This car has a different mission (reference the foor doors and 3000 lb curb weight). That's just the way it goes folks.

OTOH, if you want an RX-7, the best way to ensure that it will be brought to the US is to buy an RX-8. ;-)
  • Options
    They start building the RX-8's for retail sale the first week of April....expect a june delivery of your car.
  • Options
    go out and buy a RX-8 so the RX-7 can return to glory!!!!
  • Options
    Heck, you rich folks buy two! I want them to bring over the convertible.

Seriously, do you think they can make their sales target? They're banking alot on the supposed extra appeal of two more doors. I don't know. Utility in its part of the market seems like a shakey play to bank on. I hope they're right, though!!

I'm specifically thinking about the following two paragraphs from the above link:

"But before Mazda rushes to build another RX-7, Bakaj wants to see how the RX-8 does. Mazda hopes to sell about 18,000 units in the United States in 2003, and 30,000 units annually thereafter. That's a big jump; the previous generation RX-7 never broke 7,000 units.

Bakaj said the RX-8 has higher volume potential than a two-seater because of its easier access and ability to carry more people. "

Bakaj is Joseph Bakaj, Mazda's head of global product development.
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I think we'll see a convertible no matter what. In fact, and this is pure speculation on my part, I bet that most of design is done and working prototypes already exist. It's like with the Mercedes CLK. If you're going to dump the B pillars, then you might build a convertible as well.

Personally, I'm interested in what Ford does with this platform. The RX-8 chassis is IMO the perfect platform to build a gas hybrid vehicle. I don't think Mazda's going to do it, but were Ford to attempt a hybrid on the RX-8 platform, they'd sell out in a month.
  • Options
    do not use RX-8's chassis to build a people-hauling daily driver. Whatever that will be based on this chassis HAS to be performance-oriented to take full advantage of it :-)
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Mazda Canada folks are quietly telling their dealer principles that an RX-8 convertible has been greenlighted for production. They even have pictures.

Maybe I can get my hands on them and add them to the Mazda3 pictures I already have but am too damn scared to post anywhere.
  • Options
    yup I heard the same things...

the convertable and coupe are in the works. Also, Ford asked to use the RX-8 platform and so far Mazda had turned down the request.
  • Options
    judging by what is being said publicly, Mazda will be going alone on that chassis which is why they want to build variants on it to cover R&D costs.
  • Options
    powerman1powerman1 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if the rear windows go up and down ? Or do they push out ? Thanks.
  • Options
    on the half doors push out... manually...
  • Options
    jameslowejameslowe Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a feel for the RX-8 headroom? I am in an A4 just now and head just touches ceiling edge of the sunroof.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,607
    pretty neat that you have a computer in the back seat of an A4.

anyway, the reviews have generally mentioned real room for adults. referred to as "cozy" becasue of the console, etc, but no mentions that I can recall of lack of headroom

From the shape of the rear, doesn't look like a problem.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    WOW!! I have to admit, I'm very impressed with the Canadian Pricing. When I talked to a Mazda Rep at the regional office in Montreal, he said over 40000 CDN.

Anyways, prices were just released at www.canadiandriver.com in the 2003 Canadian autoshow section. You can get either the 210 HP auto version or the 250 HP 6 speed version for $36,750 (CDN) when it goes on sale in June. This price includes 18" wheels, ABS, side airbags, fog lights, and A/C. The base Nissan 350Z sells for about 44K here and a WRX is 35K so the RX-8 looks like it's going to be priced VERY competitevly.
  • Options
    to see A LOT of RX-8 on Canadian roads then :-)
  • Options
    http://www.rx-8.mazda.co.jp/products/driving10.html

go to the bottom of the page for the links to the video.

glad to see the RENESIS is still hand-built for top-notch quality control!!! :-)
  • Options
    Any idea if Mazda will make the CD player compatible with MP3's? I've installed an MP3 compatible deck in my current ride and find no real need to have a CD changer since I can burn around 10 CD's to one MP3 disk.
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Good question. It would seem that Mazda would recognize the importance of MP3 compatibility, but I haven't seen any mention of it...yet.
  • Options
    given that they already have a MP3-compatible upgrade for the stock Mazda6 head unit, I would think a similar setup would be available for the RX-8...
  • Options
    I just checked everything we have on the RX-8....nothing is mentioned about Mp3 compatability. When we get some more details about the car I will pass along any Mp3 stuff i find.

rich
  • Options
    Thanks. As integrated into the dash design as the head unit is, it looks like it would be a royal PITA to switch out. From a pure cost standpoint, I would think that adding MP3 compatibility would be WAY cheaper than a changer. And as more and more people burn their own, I would think that demand would go up.
  • Options
    There will be an accessory MP3 option for the RX-8. No word on how much yet.
  • Options
    Just curious, but now that the big intro is over, how many deposits do you have on the 8? I haven't talked to my dealer since January, when I could have been the first on the list, but I am probably going to get/order new wheels next month.

• Options
    We have deposits on all but two of our first three month allocation...The mazda dealer that is closest to us is refusing to price the car to buyers, which has been a big benefit to us. They are telling people to leave a deposit and they will price the car when it comes in. haha I can sell anything but that is a real stretch for any buyer. come on, order one!!
  • Options
    greddygtrgreddygtr Member Posts: 54
    Mazda dealers can have fun gouging customers and not allowing test drives for a few months but I'm pretty sure the RX8 will be going for under MSRP by the summer. By next winter they should be selling for a couple hundred over invoice.
  • Options
    This car is different enough that I may wait until June when I can see one in person (and if possible drive it). I'm not really in a rush, so if I get one in September instead of June, not a biggee.

Maybe Greddy is right, and you will be able to walk in next winter and find some in stock. Maybe not for near invoice, but enough discount to get snow tires. Make a nice Christmas present for someone I'm close to.

Actually wish you could get 17"/50 or 55 series tires. Given how potholed the roads in NJ are right now, I cringe to think of driving on expensive 18" wheels with 40s (45s?). $$$$

• Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I will not be purchasing an RX-8 till summer of 2004! See you then!

Obi
  • Options
    Too much initial gouging, and too much new technology for me to feel comfortable jumping on the car right away. Just my feelings, of course. Besides, once I read some of the details of a more powerful, more sporty version to follow, my desire for the RX-8 waned.

But you all go ahead and buy one - heck buy two right away - 'cause the RX-8 needs to sell for any other versions to survive to see the light of day.