Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    uchoops32uchoops32 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a Linear 9-3 in the San Diego area. I'm really just looking for the wheel package and the body kit (although I heard it won't be available till later in the model year, so, i'll just have to wait for it). Does anyone have experience working with the dealers out here? I haven't seen too many on the road, so i'm figuring I can work out something.

Also, if you can email or post your out the door prices, that would be helpful as well. I would like to bring some kind of printout, or email to bring to or email a dealer to negotiate.

Thanks, and my email is UCHoops32@aol.com
  • Options
    mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I installed a pair of Pioneer TS-A6960R speakers in the rear deck. The holes are already there. All you need to do is pop out a plastic filler on each side and screw in each speaker from underneath. I purchased the speakers from Crutchfield, total cost around $80. Here's a link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-C3bDCDQFjFD/ProdView.asp?s=0- &c=10&g=52300&I=130TSA6960&o=m&a=0
    The specs on these speakers are good (28-28,000 Hz) which is important if you're looking to replace the bass that the factory speakers never had. I hooked mine up in parallel to the existing 3.5" factory speakers, so now I have 4 speakers in the rear deck. With these new speakers installed, I can actually balance front to rear, I have more bass, and the system provides more depth/imaging.
    For those of you who, like me, were disappointed with the factory setup, this is $80 bucks well spent!
    --*** Mooselook ***--
  • Options
    code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    Well, I can't say too much new about my new 9-3, it has been home (alone) for the past few weeks while I've been over here in Asia on business... but thanks to the nifty world of E-mail, I have this update for ya'll.

First off, OLDSMAN, the Mazda 6 is cool, but the fit and finish are cheap cheap cheap. I love the engine, but for a few grand more (and only that) you're driving a luxury car versus a "mere Mazda". Just as the BMW gives "negative snob" vibes, I think the Mazda gives "everyday car" vibes. The CTS rides nice, but it is ugly. And even more ugly is the new Maxima.

Nissan has a big splash all over their web site if you want to see it. Oddly enough, from what I recall, the spy photos of the new Maxima were better than how it ended up. Hah hah.

As for my car, if you recall, I wrote Saab a big letter asking a bunch of questions.

You might be interested in their reply (see the link below). In an effort to make it easier to read, I modified the letter so that the questions (black text) and replies (red text) are in the same document.

http://saab93zzz.home.attbi.com/edmunds/reply1.pdf

Comments?
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    and the saab is better than the passat or camry IMHO.
  • Options
    hppypaulhppypaul Member Posts: 43
    Code 7700
    I think you're making way too much out of the light swith issue. It's exactly the same in my 2000 9-3 and has never been a problem for me. Having all your ligths on makes you more visible and overall safer. You also nevert have to think about lights if you enter a tunnel in the daytime or go under a long overpass. You can always see your instruments. I've found this to be the best setup for me. Very safe. I agree with you about the radio. They should give everyone a free upgrade who bought this thing, because it sounds horrible.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I remember hearinmg about that barge that sank and the report said it was loaded with european luxury cars, but did not say which ones. I wonder how many 9-3s were lost.

brucec35, just curious as to the "negative attention" you received in your BMW? I can imagine cops love to stop them. I had a friend in college who had an older(late 80s) 525 and he got stopped for speeding several times and wasn't doing that much over the limit. One cop that stopped him in Dooly County GA was very rude to him. Maybe I'm just lucky(and am certainly knocking on wood) but I have blown by cops in my Olds and felt almost sure I'd be stopped but they didn't flinch. I'm hoping that Saabs don't attract as much attention from the police as the more mainstream luxury cars do.
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    The BBC did have an article that listed the number of each makes. I cannot find the link any longer.
  • Options
    mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I'm pretty sure I posted this previously but I'll say it again: I took my 9.3 back to the dealer and they "reprogrammed" the DRL's so that they are not always on. There is a socket at the base of the steering column that they plug into their shop computer. Mine are now set so that they work like normal headlights - only on when I turn on the switch!
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    The "negative attention" included things like having guys in pickups up in the mountains spit on the windshield as they passed by at low speed, having two incidents where my wife was driving and having guys in pickups here (Atlanta suburbs, more towards the country side of it) harrass her in traffic. Both were where she couldn't speed up if she wanted to and was going over the speed limit already, so she wasn't doing anything at all to annoy anyone. One of them passed her and tried to crowd her into a ditch, then roared ahead. A few minutes later she noticed him sitting in a driveway waiting, where he pulled out again and tried to catch up. She blew him away, since the road was clear by then, but she was very upset about it. Another time somebody tried to follow her home. The windows were tinted, so we think they had no idea or not if it were a woman or not in the first case, but the second case was someone following her home from the grocery store. Who knows, but it may have been because out here in the country, the other cars in the lot were Camaros and minivans and junkers, her car stood out a lot.

I never had many problems myself, but I've had other cars keyed by the envious, and I always felt a little uneasy when driving in some areas of town in such a visable car. (it was really a sharp car). The Saab is unkown to most so they seem to leave you alone more. And I always had to worry about being picked out for police attention. I get away with speeding in my pickup, but had to really watch it in the 540.

Family and friends can also tend to be a little jealous, even if they don't admit to it. My wife's family started jokingly calling her "stuck up" when she got the first Bimmer. She reminded them that she worked hard and was ambitious and didn't spend much on anything else like a big family or house or whatever, but you know human nature. People just assume you paid $50,000 for it if you drive a recent vintage Bimmer. We didn't and actually did well when we resold them, but you can't tell most people that.

Overall, it wasn't unbearable, but I just didn't need the hassles. We actually only got the 2nd 540i we owned because no other car met our needs for safety, adequate power, handling, braking, refinement, comfort, reliability, and good looks. We looked and looked, but everything out there left us cold. We even bought an SUV at one point because we couldnt' find a new car we liked. Many had most of these features we wanted, but lacked a key feature or two(eg? Acura CL/TL were blandly styled and seats weren't that great, plus at the time there was no crash test info available on them, Lexus IS300 was too small inside, boy-racer styled inside and out, and expensive)

The Saab and Infiniti G35 weren't available then, or we would have probably chosen one of them at the time. We were, after all, buying well cared and warrantied cars with high mileage BMW's to be able to afford them (66K miles for the '97 at $31,000, '62K miles for the '98 at $33,000) For about that price, you can have a new Saab or Infiniti.

I will say that the BMW's handle and feel better than any other car I've been in, but others are close enough that they seem like a better value to me. And we are definitely not into "status seeking" via material posessions, so the BMW panache wasn't worth the price. I even admit to muttering "jerk" or worse when I see a 3 series zipping accross a few lanes of the expressway at once, so I can see how a lot of people make eroneous assumptions about BMW drivers.
  • Options
    shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    Excellent job!!..its obvious to me that saab released this linear package to early...i bought one in october and the dealer had no accessories available..every question needed to go back to sweden for an answer..i realized that the dealer network was small for this brand and was concerned about that...i hope once the arc and vector come out most of dealers will be prepared..
    this is a great car at a great price in this class..but the dealer relationship usually is the main reason customers return when looking for another car and so far saab has made the dealers fall short..
  • Options
    jms92269jms92269 Member Posts: 1
    There were some earlier questions about a lamp in the headlight cluster that was not being used. I was on SAABnet the other day, and it is used for the Flash to Pass function.
  • Options
    renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    for NEEDSASHAVE (and other chicagoans, anyone really): I've been browsing the posts and noticed you're also looking for a linear in the Chicago area. I've only been shopping online as of yet. I'm looking for an auto with the launch. I've been quoted at 27,900 by gartner for a linear, auto, w heated seats. so the big question is...can i go lower, what is the average cost for the linear post negotiating? would really appreciate any kind of feedback . and..if you know any good dealers in the area- that would help a lot.
    -renee-
  • Options
    needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    I've been to Gartner and to the Exchange in Highland Park, and there is NO question I would rather deal with the folks at the Exchange.

You should be able get the car for around $2,000 BELOW invoice ($1,000 from the discount on the launch package and $1,000 from the factory to dealer incentive, unless you decide to go with 0% financing. Keep me posting with your progress. I'm still deciding between the 9-3 and the A4, but I finally eliminated the 325. Thanks.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I have my saab from gartner... I have tried exchange too. But later I found that exchange is too far away from my home. I live 5 min. near gartner. I knew exchange would give me the better deal. But I do think of service need to be close to my place. so I choose gartner. when i got my saab i only ask for 3% ABOVE invoice plus $1000 discount on november last year. But I feel they are like to work with you if you have price in mind. That time I thought that's new model year car so I didnt ask too much. And then I found the suprised they gave me the car which come from exchange dealer i observed it from window lable.
    Now I think you sure can have better deal than me because it's 2 more months. I bet you can ask $2000 discount and invoice from gartner at this time. and more gartner service open on saturday.
  • Options
    I guess I will go check out both the Exchange and Gartner. although Gartner gives me a snob vibe and they havent been answering any of my questions when I email them. Needsashave, I am also debating between the A4 and the Saab. I'm leaning towards the Saab because you dont see this car every 10 minutes. Plus the A4 is starting to look played out and ugly . My other choice was the volvo S60. I'm interested in why you dumped the bimmer 325, and if you have any updates on why you like or dislike the Saab over the Audi- please let me know. In any case thank you both for the info. Would a white car in Chicago be a no-no?-want white or electric red.
  • Options
    I currently own a Volvo S70 which I purchased with 10K miles. With minor issues (all covered under warranty) the car has performed flawlessly. The seats are by far the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. The smell of leather in the car (which is now 5 years old) remains intoxicating. However, I'm not even considering Volvo just because I want something different.

As far as the BMW goes, the compact size of the 325 is a bit small for my liking, especially coming from my Volvo. I owned a 1995 325 convertible for about a year. The BMW was a fun second car. The 325s are also very common in Chicagoland. Actually, I think the 525 is a significantly better car all around, although this is personel preference.

Have you considered the Arc that's coming out soon? For a bit more money than the linear, I'm thinking the horsepower and added features included with the Arc make it a better buy (several thousands less than the 325). FYI, I remember someone telling me white cars have the poorest resale value.
  • Options
    crocancrocan Member Posts: 7
    I thought I would make a comment about your A4 vs 9-3 question renee. I am about a month or two away from buying a 9-3 and have been comparing cars in it's class for a while now. I have been fortunate enough to spend some time in just about everything in the 9-3's class (3 series, A4, C-class, G35, CTS) because of the line of work I'm in. To say the 9-3 is above and beyond a better car than anything else in it's class would be false. However it does have some strengths specifically against the A4.
    9-3 is lighter than A4 quattro, along with more power, therefore higher hp to weight ratio.
    9-3 is safer receiving 5 stars all around.
    9-3 has more space in the front and rear( although marginally at best).
    9-3 has a bit more originality in the interior design (ie. hand brake, ignition switch, cup holder, cooled and enormous glove box), I know this comment is strictly an opinion.
    9-3 for the time being is more exclusive as there are far fewer of them on the road than A4's.
    9-3's don't have any ignition coil problems, a friend of mine has replaced one on his 2002 1.8TQ and according to the A4 forums on Edmunds he's not the only one.
    Here are some A4 strengths
    A4 has a better standard stereo.
    Quattro is excellent
    Interior fit and finish in the A4 is probably the best in the market (Although the 9-3's getting close).
    The name Audi carries a bit more prestige than Saab.

By the way I'm getting Laser red w/ Sport Launch and Touring Package. I just hope the red doesn't turn into a radar magnet for the police on the freeways.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I have yet to see one on the road in my neck of the woods. Just at the dealers. Latest gen A4 I have not seen a lot of suprisingly enough, older ones are almost as plentiful as the 3-series.
  • Options
    mmeytinmmeytin Member Posts: 5
    I too was at the end choosing between these two cars. Feature-by-feature they are very similar. Here're some of the pro's and con's that I found (in addition to all of the ones made by crocan):

- 9-3 has a larger trunk (by, I think, 2 cubic feet);
    - 9-3 has OnStar standard (I know, it has questionable usability, but still. Besides, it's free for two years for those of us who bought the car without OnStar installed and are waiting for installation in February);
    - 9-3 has standard rear side airbags and SAHR headrests;
    - 9-3 has better 0% for 3 years financing available;
    - Audi has better maintenance that lasts the entire warranty period and includes wear and tear items;
    - Audi's automatic transmission is arguably better, although it's new and yet unproven;
    - Audi has standard "one touch up" windows (9-3 has those in Arc and Vector variants, not available on currently selling Linears).

Finally, and this is strictly a personal opinion, I liked 9-3 driving experience much better than A4's. A4 is not bad, but the car feels a little crammed, and the driving is just not as much fun as I felt in 9-3. I ended up going with 9-3SS, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.
  • Options
    new lease deal advertised.....299 a month, 999 down.
  • Options
    alrighty then, i'm convinced. I want the 9-3 :) especially because I'm a painter and will need cargo space.

crocan: yeah, get the red, it's beautiful- doesn't look like any old red, more life to it somehow. I'm starting to waiver on it though. something about red being a more expensive car to insure? On top of the target problems. those strange insurance policies...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I've seen 2 in Mississauga/Oakville. One at the Costco and another at Loblaws on Monday. The front still looks very old school Saab so it's not until you see the side and back that you realize it's the new 9-3.
  • Options
    a98gibsona98gibson Member Posts: 21
    I've never outfitted a car with 17" wheels, but saw a new 9-3 Linear w/launch package at the local dealer with upsized wheels. It looks great and I'm thinking that it could be the vehicle that wins a spot in my garage.

Can anyone give me some positives/negatives on upgrading the standard 16's to 17's?
  • Options
    needsashave: which dealer at the exchange do you talk to and is he/she an internet sales person?

a98gibson: about the 16 vs 17 wheels, i remember some past posts arund page 33ish. If you have the time you can shift through the posts.
  • Options
    I am typing this note as I am waiting for the furnance guy to show up. I was awaken by the coolness of the morning only to find out that my furnance "ain't" working. Its now 52 degress in my home and dropping. Enough of my problems.

I can't remember the dealers name at the Exchange, but he was the fleet manager. If I decide to buy, I will be using the GM supplier program and the pricing is the same anywhere I go. Have you driven the 9-3 yet? I'm avoiding driving one as I am easily tempted and am thinking I'd like to hold out for the Arc. Just curious of your impressions. Happy Friday.
  • Options
    rjm1540rjm1540 Member Posts: 2
    Currently driving a 2000 A6 2.7T which is coming to lease end. With this lousy economy, I am looking to downsize and plan to look in the $30-35K range. I really like the new 9-3 and a nicely equipped Arc would be in my range. Wondering if a discounted 9-5 would be a better option. Any opinion out there on the merits of one vs. the other?
  • Options
    a98gibsona98gibson Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info. I'm a recent subscriber to the Saab thread and have not made it back that far.
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    The 9-5 while still a decent car is a pretty old design. It is also not that much larger inside than the new 9-3.

I was really impressed with the road manners of the new 9-3. I also thought the interior layout was better than the 9-5.

I think the only way I would buy a 9-5 would be if I needed a wagon. The 9-5 wagon is big like a cave inside.
  • Options
    What are some of the details on that $299 a month lease? 36 or 48 months, 10 or 12K a year?
  • Options
    shucks, i didn't remember...i am sure there will be ads in this weekends papers on it....must be competing with the volvo lease deals out right now on the s60
  • Options
    julian93julian93 Member Posts: 4
    Just at a point of information for any would be buyers in the DC-Balto market. I got a manual with launch, touring, heated seats and metallic paint for $27,400.
    This is my 4th SAAB since the mid-80's. My last was a 1997 900T. During the same time period I've also had an Acura Legend-smooth but boring, a BMW 325-fun but to visible and a Passat-best family car out there.
    The new 9-3 is the best handling of all and as fun if not more so than the BMW. The advantage over the BMW, and why I didn't get one this time, is that at 50 years old I'm tired of the kids in their Hondas trying to chase me down the highway. Most of them have no idea what a SAAB is so they ignore me.
    I've read in this board people commenting about their SAAB's quirkiness. I suggest you find guys who owned SAABs in the 70's and 80's and hear their stories about quirkiness. It's always what has made SAAB fun to own.
    I look forard to reading more about people's exploits in their SAAB. Oh, and BTW, don't blame the dealers for know less than owners about the SAABs this also is a SAAB trait.
  • Options
    I've come to expect that I'm going to know more about a car than the dealer sales people. I've never done auto sales, but I've been in various types of retail sales and most companies spend most of their training efforts on sales techniques and not the actual product. BTW, that looks like a pretty good deal you got on your 9-3.
  • Options
    Most car salespeople are just waiting for a better job, at least in this town. If the dealers or manufacturers spent money training them only for them to leave, then you and I would be paying alot more for these cars. Based on experience and common sense you and I and many of the people on this board have done the research that the sales people have no incentive to do.
    As for the price I paid I haven't seen many price posts here so I can't compare. All I can say is the salesman surprised me by starting close to where I had intended on finishing. Nonetheless I impressed my 12 year old son. That was worth a lot to me.
  • Options
    Best of luck with your new wheels. What color did you end up with? Were you offered the 0% financing? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on Monday. Happy motoring.
  • Options
    hppypaulhppypaul Member Posts: 43
    While not a new 9-3 I just picked up today a 2001 steel gray Viggen convertible. It's awesome. Certified pre-owned with 100K b2b warranty, maint, and roadside. had just 2600 miles on it and drives fantastic. Listed for 47K new and picked it up for 33. If this is what you are looking for the deals are out there. Can't wait for summer
  • Options
    regfootball- keep us posted if you find any good leasing info :)
  • Options
    I had a chose of black with light interior or graphite green with gray interior. I went with the green. There are very few 5 speeds available so I'm glad I had any chose at all. I was offered the 0% financing but opted to go with my credit union for a linger period. None of the dealers I talked to pushed the SAAB/GM financing. Have fun with the buying process. Get them to throw in a cup or pen so you have something to carry with you all the time.
  • Options
    My preference leans toward the darker interiors as well. I'm undecided with 5speed or automatic though. What are your thoughts about the 5 speed so far? How do you like the zenons? Is the base stereo as lousy as posted around here? Enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    I just like 5 speeds. I never considered the automatic. IMHO, a driver's car should have a manual transmission.
    The headlights are great, a lot of light. I have to get used to the self-leveling.
    I paid extra for a great stereo in my last car (Passat) so the SAAB doesn't come close. But, I'll wait and see if SAAB upgrades the software as some seem to think. Or I'll install some better speakers in the rear shelf.
    Good luck searching and negotiating.
  • Options
    massappeal106massappeal106 Member Posts: 26
    Hey all:

I just purchased a new Linear (base) and was wondering what can be programed to customize my experience. I understand that the dealer can program a few things. Any idea where I can find a list of possible dealer programing options? Also, I was wondering what other cool things should I look for? I also understand that saabs tend to have pretty cool functions. Please advise me on what Is programable and what I should look for.

Many thanks!
  • Options
    malangomalango Member Posts: 11
    After a lot of research, I had decided to replace my soon-to-expire lease with a Saab 93. Last weekend I went to a couple of dealers to see if I could find a car with the options I wanted and also to take advantage of the great lease deals Saab is currently offering (.00022 money factor = .5%). The options that I was looking for: Launch, Touring, 17" wheels, gray interiors, Black or Midnight Blue, and it must be manual(resuming: a dark color loaded with a stick). I thought that a car with these options wouldn't be hard to find, but to my surprise there were only three manual cars in the two dealers I visited in South Florida, 2 of them base linears, and other with the launch package but white. In the second dealer they tried to do a dealer search, but they couldn't locate a car with my specs. They said that there were very few manuals available nationwide. I told them that if they could find a loaded manual of any color (but white) I would consider it, but they still haven't got back to me. If I can't find my car, I'll have to settle for an A4, which are relatively easy to find with manuals.....Are 93 manuals that scarce?

I know there's not a lot to discuss here, I just wanted to share my experience so far shopping for a Saab with a manual transmission.
  • Options
    needsashave: how'd your purchasing go?

malango: i find that odd...afterall the 9-3 is a -sports- sedan offered as a manual in base form. hm, perhaps when the more performance geared arc is available in march, manuals will be in higher demand. ...wait a month? good luck in the meantime.
  • Options
    Well, I never made it to the dealer on Monday...lack of motivation with the cold temps. Maybe later today. A friend told me to check out Patrick Saab in Schaumburg.

Are you from the city or the suburbs?
  • Options
    downtown, smack in the middle by wacker
  • Options
    zerochzeroch Member Posts: 7
    My new 9-3 brakes squeak lightly at the end of braking, the dealer told me this is normal when the temperature is low (right now is 10's in Boston.) I don't recall that is the case with my old car. Is that true? any of you has similar experience with brakes in cold weather?

I have posted my lock failure problem earlier on this forum, since then the dealer has fixed it. They said they didn't find any problem, but at least the locks are working fine now no matter how cold it is. I don't know much about "the cold theory." Seems like all the problems I have had with this 9-3 have been blamed on "cold weather." I don't really buy it, none of my friends who have other cars (Passat and 325) have problems like mine. I am assuming "cold weather" is the scapegoat of inferior parts....

BTW, the manual says "DO NOT WARM UP THE CAR BY SITTING IDLY" and that one should drives off the car as soon as the engine starts, which contradicts everything I have heard. Any insights?
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Hello,

First post in this section. Am considering a 9-3 after seeing the $299 month for 36 months, $999 down lease deal (numbers based on the $26,525 MSRP of a non-optioned vehicle). Option to purchase at $14,323.50 on lease-end.

Is Saab still running the discounts mentioned in this forum? I've noticed a $1,000 off the Launch package and $1,000 dealer incentive, and some folks saying to go for $2,000 off of invoice. I don't see these incentives listed on Edmunds or Carpoint.

If so, that would explain why the lease deal looks almost too good to be true. E.g. it may be hard to get the lease with such discounts.

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    After dealer changed my new saab rear left hand side door lock. The door lock stoll not working and even worse. Now it's totally disabled no matter the weather. I hope this is not the bad luck of my new saab. This is my forst SAAb. I really wish it can bring me the confidence of SAAB. Don't know if anyone has the same problem of door lock can't be fixed. Any solution will be the big help to me. Thanks.
  • Options
    cermedescermedes Member Posts: 8
    Hey Zeroch

There is two very good reasons not to warm up by idling.

1: By starting to drive immediately the engine warms up quicker - therefor the period that's the worst for the engine is shorter.

2: When the engine and the catalytic converter are cold the emissions are the highest. The sooner the engine and cc warm up the cleaner the emissions are during your drive.

In Germany manufactureres like Mercedes, BMW and Audi recommended against warming up the car by idling since the early 70s. I believe it's something one had to do only with very old big-block type amarican cars way back when.
  • Options
    cermedescermedes Member Posts: 8
    I just found out that the optional Navigation System for the 93 - that's already available in Europe now - will be available in the US for MY '04 in September of 2003.

Just in case anybody was wondering - like me - how a new car launch at this point in time could possibly not include the option of telematics.