Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    craigh30craigh30 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help
  • Options
    shookyshooky Member Posts: 2
    Don't know if anyone has answered your question yet but I run Amsoil in my 3500 dually with a dual filtration system. no problems . ran a ford with the same system and had no problems. Will switch to Rotella next time I change filters. By the way I change oil every 50000 miles. Change primary filters every 5000 and secondary filter every 20000 miles.Reason for the switch is because after engine oil analysis my oil is no better or worse than my brothers oil and he uses Rotella. I think the answer is in the filters. Both oils are good ,Rotella is a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    silver1500silver1500 Member Posts: 1
    Vickie,

I have a new 2006 Ram 1500 ST and mine did just about the same thing. I turned the ignition switch and the lights started flashing, the horn honked one long continuous blast for about 15 seconds, the interior and cargo lights came on and could not be shut off and finally the "door ajar" light came on and would not go out! The truck was doing all this even after I removed the key from the ignition. My truck doesn't have an alarm either. Incidentally, this has happened twice in the last three days. It was a freaky deal to say the least. Anyway, I had to disconnect the positive battery cable to restore everything to normal. I called the dealership and talked to the service guy and he didn't have a clue as to what was going on. I went and checked to see if there were any recalls on my truck, but there were none. You may wanna google for any recalls on yours. I'm thinking it has something to do with the computer, but I'm not sure. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with this issue.
    If anyone else has had this or a similar problem, please tell me how to fix it. Thanks
  • Options
    schmedlyschmedly Member Posts: 44
    The NV is no longer available with the Dodge. They stopped last year and have been using a G56, which is not a Getrag. The unit is not a new transmission. It has been used about 10 years now I believe in the Diamler-Benz trucks in europe. It is an "in house" transmission for them. It's use has been in heavier trucks. Some seem skeptical because of the Aluminum case, but the unit has been around for sometime now without being problematic.
  • Options
    oldstudleroyoldstudleroy Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi that is in great condition with 56k. First issue i've had is the speedometer. Coming home one night it worked fine for first 5-10 miles but when i got up on it getting onto the freeway it hit bout 50 and started dancing back and forth from 0-80 and kept twitching.. next day no problems.. took to dealer and said no problems.. drove out of dealership and crossed one intersection and started up again and half way home stopped working all together. Dealership said would need to replace entire instrument panel part alone 500 not including labor... has anyone else had this issue? do i really need to replace the whole panel or just a cable or sending unit or something a bit simpler/cheaper. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    shookyshooky Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 3500 dually with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed trans.The other day when starting engine chimes started sounding and said to check gauges. No oil pressure showing on gauge. shut engine down and called dealer. Told to restart engine and see what happens . Did so and everything was fine.The next day parked in the same spot the sanme thing happened. Shut engine down and restarted and everything O.K.Took truck to dealer and they can not find anything wrong. Everything checks out. I change oil religously. Someone suggested a bad filter or a plugged filter.Will change filter and see what happens . Any suggestions???
  • Options
    laswampratlaswamprat Member Posts: 6
    I'm glad to finally hear from another person with the same problem as I. I wish I could help you but I have done as much as you have with the much the same results. My e-mail is MMartinez160@cfl.rr.com and if you find a source of the part let me know. I just found one at a junkyard and I expect it to come in this week. You might wonder why I would want another, well I have two of these trucks. Only one needs the part but would be nice to have a spare.
  • Options
    fmerklefmerkle Member Posts: 1
    think its the check engine light can't find correct manual to compare-changed air filter and pcb valve-light still on-disconnected battery light was out for a day came on again-was looking at what I thought was the manual but was a manual for a Ford and the dashlight icon according to Ford is for emission control-the vehicle passed emission test 3 weeks earlier. Vehicle has 31K miles. Any suggestions? thanks
  • Options
    kaiser1kaiser1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 King Cab Dodge truck. My husband bought the truck when he came home from a year in Iraq. He is in North Dakota now taking classes for the military now. Saturday March the 18 the truck check gauges light came on and I looked down at all my gauges and the oil gauge had bottomed out. So I started pulling off the road. Then I heard the tapping sound. But before I could get the truck off the road it died on me. I let the truck sit for a few minutes and checked the oil. According to the dip stick the oil was in the safe zone. I tried to start the truck again and it wouldn't start. So I let it sit for about 30 minutes and checked the oil again. It was still in the safe zone. When I called the dealership and had it picked up. They are now telling me that they will not fix it unles I provide them with reciepts of all oil changes. We have had the oil changed but didn't keep the reciepts. Oil changes in different places. I was wondering if you had any information on whom I could contact other than the dealership. Please Help if you know any information. Everyone I have talked to seem to think it is a bad oil pump. Thank you, Kay :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    shelb427shelb427 Member Posts: 1
    i've have a 95 1500 sport and went through 3 transmissions to date. other than that the truck is great. it has 140,000 miles on it, and i use it every day. today i bought a 2006 dodge ram with the cummins diesel engine, i'm not sure what trans is in it because i don't have the paperwork yet. i made the deal today, and am writing this tonight. i imagine it's a 545RFE, which has been dissed. has dodge learned how to build a decent trans? or am i in for another decade plus of *&&^%%$$## transmissions. i've seen aftermarket dodge trans's that are very well received - are they worth it?
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to say that on one message board they posted info about a product called a Megasquirt that replaces the ignition system. I looked it up and it seemed complicated so I kept trying the boneyards and got lucky. I guess you found out that the yards don't even catalog or salvage this module. They don't even know it exists. How I found it was to fins a yard with a V10 junk body and BEG them to go out and look on it for the module. Keep looking maybe you'll get lucky too.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I would suggest getting the regional factory rep involved. If your engine got damaged as a result of malfunctioning oil pump, then they should not deny the warranty coverage based on missing oil change receipts. The other possibility would be excessive sludge formation in the engine and clogging of the oil pump inlet screen, but this is not likely as your truck is too new.(mileage?).

I would also suggest going back to the places where you had your oil changed. They may have computer records on their customers and they could give you duplicate receipts. It is worth a try anyway. If they are too far away, call them.
  • Options
    gateraider84gateraider84 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 02 Ram in for service when i noticed that the cylinders were misfiring in the lower rpm range, the dealer said i needed a tune up. They performed the tune up and one week later the cylinders began to misfire again, one person said it was because of the cold temperatures it is exposed to and to try dry gas, this didn't work either, really need some advice. :sick:
  • Options
    soccer323bsoccer323b Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you replaced the hub bearing yourself? and if so how much did the hub cost? I am having problems and I brought my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 to a shop and they quoted me $1,700 to fix both front hubs and bearings, I am planning on doing them on Wednesday. If anyone has any suggestions let me know thanks!!
    -Brett
  • Options
    viperman1500viperman1500 Member Posts: 12
    hey i had same problem took it to the dealer o2 sensor was bad , they also replaced the pcm board as well as the vacuum pump leak detector. had no problems since .which one was the actual problem.?? :confuse: .. couldnt tell ya but you can start there ...not a uncommon problem.
  • Options
    pipfindrpipfindr Member Posts: 34
    I had the same problem with my 5.9ltr '02 Ram 1500. I changed the wires and plugs with better than oem equip. and its been 15k km since and the problem is gone. it was cylnder #6 missing. I used double platinum plugs and low resistance 8mm wires. the dealer stuff is not half as good as they did my tune up before this one. Also when you are finished the tune up disconnect the negative post on the battery for 20 min. My buddy is an honest mech. and this worked for me.
  • Options
    pipfindrpipfindr Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone here ever chipped their 5.9 ltr gas dodge if you have what was the result? better mpg is what im looking for. and what are the power gains? thx
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    First, if you have a '06 RAM diesel it has the 48RE automatic. Dodge has been using these for two years now and there have been very few problems and very, very few failures.

I don't know what you mean by the 545RFE "has been dissed," but I'm here to tell you that this transmission is one of, if not the most reliable LD truck automatic on the market. Complete failures are almost non-existent and non-debilitating problems are also quite rare. My transmission guy tells me he's fixed one 545RFE in a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and that was two years ago (broken sun gear).

I'll tell you that the 545RFE is tough, durable, and more reliable that anything from GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, or Honda.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Dusty, It's a rare day that I would disagree with you, but the Ford Torque-Shift is a lot more substantial and solid than the 545RFE. It is used in the 250/350 series trucks for all three engines. So far that has proved to be far more reliable than the Allison. The 545RFE may be OK in the 1500, but I would never tie it to a Hemi 2500/3500 and try any serious towing. I am a Dodge guy, but I respect the strong points of all the manufacture's
  • Options
    You must have the wrong guy, I didn't post anything about transmissions. I've been posting on theam V10 ignition control module. Mopar to Ya.
  • Options
    corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    I've noticed a few P1491 error code messages here. On 2002 Ram Pickups with the 4.7 liter engine this code refers to the Compressor Fan Relay. This is common in cold areas where you may have rain during the day and a hard freeze overnight. Water gets in the compressor fan shroud and freezes,when you turn the defroster on, the fan doesn't turn, you blow fuse #39 on the A/C circuit.
    There is a TSB that calls for a new fan, motor,shroud, A/C recharge,wiring harness, and computer reset. After computer reset the condenser fan runs all the time when the defroster is on.
  • Options
    Hi Schmedly,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your comments.

First, we need to clarify the subject. The TorqueShift transmission I believe your referring to is the five-speed 5R110. That transmission was introduced in the Super Duty line in 2004. Like the 545RFE was for Chrysler, this model is a new transmission design and I believe only available on the F350, or it might be an option on the F250. I'm not sure.

Today and since '97, the F250 gets the four-speed 4R100 as standard equipment. Before 1997 the F250 & F350 transmission was the E4OD. Until the introduction two years ago of the 5R110, the 4R100 was also the transmission found in the F350.

So, if we are talking about the 5R110, this transmission is too new to have established anything but a good record, so far. I have not heard of one incident of complaint regarding this new model. I believe there was at least one TSB issued for 2-3 flare, but I also think that was computer related and not a problem with the hardware. From what little I know it is a heavy duty transmission that bears respect. Time will tell.

The 4R100 is a different story. While I agree it's a very heavy design, there is a one problem that is not uncommon and extremely debilitating. The torque converter clutches on this model are prone to over heating. When they get hot enough they come apart and flood the front pump with debris. The front pump shuts down and within a minute the clutches are destroyed. Of course, without a front pump there is not enough line pressure to operate forward motion.

While the basic archetecture of the transmission is solid, this one weakness in the 4R100 design makes for catastophic failures that are common enough. For this reason I see a number of failures and rebuilds of 4R100s.

Comparatively the 545RFE, which is used on RAM 2500/3500s, have seen hardly any failures or even problems for that matter. Is the 545RFE as beefy as the 4R100? Probably not quite, but used behind their current gas engines in the RAM series they have proven to be far more than adequate and far more reliable. (The 545RFE is 70% overrated behind the 4.7 motor.) The maximum torque handling capability transmission in Dodge trucks is currently the 48RE, which is only used behind the Cummins motor.

Chrysler halted work on a high torque 545RFE variant a while ago, their plan was to use that behind the Cummins which today does not have a five-speed automatic in a Dodge LD pickup. However, I have reason to believe they shifted gears (pun intended) to design a six-speed heavy duty series based on the 545RFE that could be used across the entire RAM line, gas or diesel, as well as their new line of medium trucks that will be introduced in the near future.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    As usual, good info Dusty, but in 2005 Ford made the Torqueshift the only automatic available with any power plant in the Super Duty lineup. I believe that would be 3 model years with the diesel and 2 with all the engines. It's rock-solid. That does not mean that I am saying that the Dodge tranny is a poor product by any means. It simply means that this is one area that the competition really shines. Much the same as i fel that the [powerstroke can't hold a candle to the Cummins.

The 545RFE HAS a dependable track record. I simple feel that it hasn't the beef to handle serious towing loads in the heavy duty lineup. The G56 manual with an aluminum housing is 50# heavier than the 545RFE. Normally the manual in any powertrain configuration is lighter than the automatic. Like I said, I'm not knockin' the 545RFE reliability at all
  • Options
    Thanks again for the follow-up.

I think you'll find the 4R100 four-speed is still available in the F250. Just saw one in a 2006 yesterday.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    pcarter2pcarter2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    My truck shifts into second and then goes right into 3rd.
    I does not want to stay in Second. It downshifts into first way too easy and also if you put the truck manualy into second gear whether upshifting or downshifting, It stays in first gear with the exception being that it coasts. it doesn't downshift. it coasts untill you step on the gas and the revs come up to where you would be in first gear. So manualy
    there is no second gear. Letting it shift by itself there is second gear, but it won't stay there long before it goes into third. It shifts into third like its sliding into third, but it does not slip if I floor it.
    Anyone run into this weird problem. Just bought the truck last year. and it just started doing this.
    I could not get any error code, but I may not be doing it right.
    If someone can tell me the correct way, that may help also.

Thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    pcarter2pcarter2 Member Posts: 5
    In regards to my Hasty Message, This Year 2000 short box Half ton,4 wheel drive, Automatic with overdrive. (Overdrive is working fine)
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • Options
    Say pal, I think you sent me this message in mistake, I'm the guy with the Ram V10 with the ICM problem. Hope you can get your trany working right real soon.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
  • Options
    kcorsikcorsi Member Posts: 6
    Hey Bernie
    I also have a 2003 2500quad cab 4x4 CTD long bed, I am also having this problem usualy between 50 mph and 80 mph but only happens once in a while the shaking from side to side is so violent the only way to stop it is to pull over and stop. I also am looking for a solution.
  • Options
    Did you change both light bars or just bulbs?Ihave the same problem and the chimes are too much
  • Options
    johnr6johnr6 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I have a RAM-3500 (2003) 34000 miles and the clutch is gone. Has anyone else had a problem??? :mad:
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    That's way too soon for a clutch to fail from wear. Either the clutch is faulty, or the operator is using poor technique.
  • Options
    thadjhthadjh Member Posts: 1
    I need a little advice my dads 2001 3500 6 speed has been loosing power lately. It has been an all the sudden thing. The truck has no power until the turbo wraps up. He has been told that it may be the fuel transfer relay. And the dodge place says that if he gets the computer wiped it will give him some power back. Does any one have any ideas on what could be causing the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Thad
  • Options
    Paul,

You have a 46RE transmission. Based on the symptom set you wrote, a number of things could cause this:

1. Low transmission fluid level

2. Partially clogged anti-drain back valve

3. Dirty transmission filter

4. Throttle linkage out of adjustment or binding

5. Throttle position Sensor irratic or defective

6. Gear shift cable loose, binding, or out of adjustment

7. Sticking or defective shift solenoid

8. Dirty valve body (various components sticking or inoperative)

9. More serious stuff: front band, clutches worn, sticking servo plunger, weak pump.

I would suggest that you have a dealer scan the computer for codes. This may tell you something.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • Options
    avenger2avenger2 Member Posts: 1
    my 97 ram 1500 had the same stalling problem. i replaced the battery and had no more problems for a month, then it started all over again. come to find out the negative battery cable was loose. cleaned the connections, tightened and had no more problems. good luck!
  • Options
    I have a 03 2500 QUAD CAB LONG BED Cummings Turbo Disel 4x4
    FROM TIME TO TIME I GET A VERY VIOLENT BOUNCE FROM SIDE TO SIDE seems to happen at highway speeds and only on the highway there is no pattern the only way to stop the bounce is to stop the truck not even slowing down stops the bouncing
    any one had a simular problem? and if so how did you correct this ?
    I have had it to the dealer a few times and they cannot find a problem.
    This dont happen all the time but when it happens it is very very bad almost as if the wheels are coming off the ground..
  • Options
    johnr6johnr6 Member Posts: 2
    How do I convince Dodge it is a bad clutch. I been driving manual for ever and NEVER had a clutch wear out. Note: All my manual experience has been with Gas not diesel would that make a difference :confuse:
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's tough. Sometimes when you remove the clutch parts you can spot a problem but if the clutch disc is just worn and the pressure plate and flywheel and throw out bearing are fine, they are going to give you a very hard time. If they sting you for it, you might consider shopping around for an aftermarket clutch with a heavy duty rating.

The problem is that the clutch disk material is perishable. A really bad driver (not you) can destroy a clutch in a matter of weeks. It's like brakes. Some people can nurse them 40,000 miles, some others (same car) onlyl 15,000 miles. Taxi cabs in big cities wear them out in 6 weeks!
  • Options
    jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    First thing I would do is find a competent alignment shop and have the front suspension checked and aligned if necessary.
    By competent I don't mean WalMart,Firestone,Goodyear etc....find a shop that does nothing but suspension and alignment.
  • Options
    ravennaravenna Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase an '02 Dodge 1 ton dually disel truck with an automatic transmission. I'll be putting mostly highway miles on the truck and frequently using it to haul 9,000 to 12,000 pound loads using a gooseneck hitch.
    I've had several people say that the trannys in these trucks have problems. Is there a history of this? Is it the case with both manual and automatic trannys? Is it a problem in only certain years or is it across the board???
    Thanks.
  • Options
    cuda46cuda46 Member Posts: 1
    If any one knows about the wiring on the 03 ram 1500 please help. I cant get any power to the out side of the truck. No head lights tail lights turns wipers not a thing i've checked all plugs is there a link i'm missing somewhere.
  • Options
    Thanks,I will give that a shot.
  • Options
    allie5allie5 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Schmedly,

Thank you for the information. I wonder if you have an answer for my problem with the Dodge 484E transmission on my 04 Cummins Ram. At 65 MPH it seems to drop into a lower gear or out of overdrive. The RPMs go up from 2100 to over 2500 and the truck slows down. My truck has 37000 miles and this has been going on for 10,000 miles. There was a serivce bulletin on this and last November my dealer made some sort of adjustment inside the transmission while they were doing the 30,000 mile service. I don't exactly know what they did but it only worked for a month. Now they cannot reproduce the symptom and probably think I'm nuts. I am not a mechanic and don't understand what the problem was supposed to be when they "fixed" it. The truck is serviced at all recommended intervals by the dealer. Any help.

Thanks
    Ken
  • Options
    t42jlt42jl Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks, i am at the choice point between a 2000 v-6 1500 Ram, auto reg cab vrs a f-150 manual reg cab. My mechanic says the ford will be less hassle. Both trucks have around 110,000 miles. Is the Dodge going to be a mechanic dream (nightmare). Could someone help me by comparing and contrasting the 2 trucks?

Thanks
  • Options
    jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    I don't think anyone can give you information via the internet that would be helpful to you in choosing between the two trucks. There is just simply too many things we don't know about the trucks that you are in the position to make the judgement on yourself. For instance, what is your intended use for the truck? As just basic transportation, a work truck, or what? How have the trucks been used....same questions?
    How have the trucks been maintained? Do you know the service and maintenance history on both vehicles? Have you obtained Carfax report on them?
    Why does you mechanic say the Dodge will be a hassle? Has he inspected both vehicles or does he just happen to be a Ford fan?
    As for auto versus manual.....consider the hassle of driving a manual in stop-go traffic in a daily commute if you have that situation. Also, in 45 yrs of vehicle owner ship I can tell you that I have had exactly 2 automatic transmissions rebuilt and even by taking my shoes off I can't count the number of clutches and pressure plates I have replaced :blush:
  • Options
    Sorry Ken, I have no first hand knowledge of the 48RE transmission, or for that matter the entire diesel drivetrain. I know a bit about product knowledge, but I am not a tech. There are a few others here that are very good with transmission diagnosis. How about it guys?
  • Options
    I have a 94 Dodge V10 with a bad ICM. I can't find one anywhere. All after mkt and Dealer sources say it has been recalled or not in production any more. My only recourse is for a used one from a boneyard. They don't catalog this part because it is only found on this model. Most think it is the ECM but it is a box that connects to the ECM. If anyone knows of a junk with this part I would be eternally grateful. Otherwise all I have is a piece of junk. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!!!
  • Options
    ccbartccbart Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ram 1500 extended cab Pickup.
    It seems that the vent system only circultes air if the fan is running. Manual says there are settings to allow free flowing air and exhausts somewhere behind the rear seat. I've tried all possible settings and can't get any flow w/o fan.
  • Options
    cesar54cesar54 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2002 Ram 1500 and it's my first truck. V-6 3.7 L. Bought it from an old man that took real good care of it.it's got 25000 + miles and the transmission light just came on. I'm scared because I know they can be expensive. Can anyone help me and kinda guide on the right direction?
  • Options
    he11benthe11bent Member Posts: 24
    The schematic looks like there are fuses in the Integrated Power Module (IPM) that supply variuos exterior lights. It doesnt show any others.
This discussion has been closed.