Options

Honda Pilot 2003 through 2005

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    will remain a traditional SUV, like the previous model; that means truly off-road capable, with excellent towing capacity. It will be for folks who need those capabilities.

The Pilot will probably be more heavy-duty than the Highlander, but not nearly as heavy-duty as the 4Runner. The Pilot will split the difference, so to speak, since Honda will only be offering one mid-size SUV, whereas Toyota will have two mid-size SUVs.

Bob
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You may not do any better in Oregon, and certainly not most of Nevada. Southern California has a few dealers who are planning on being at MSRP, there are even a couple in Northern California. You have to know where to look.
  • Options
    ocbuyerocbuyer Member Posts: 7
    I don't mind paying at MSRP for Honda Pilot. I feel that I'm getting the value compare to similar vehicle. Anything above MSRP is like giving money to the dealers for nothing. Think about what added value the Dealers are giving you. Worst part is you are giving it to people you are trying to make as much money from you for so little value in return.
    MSRP is set by the drive makers based on what they think is the fair value for the car and already include what they think is a fair profit for the dealers.
    Of course at the end, supply and demand and the no of people who are willing to have this car no matter what cost will determine the price.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I wouldn't mind paying MSRP for anything. I would gladly pay $2.39 for a bag of French Onion flavored Sun Chips over a $.99 bag of Lay's. Because it's worth it.

And this is where it gets tricky...just how much does each one of us think the Pilot is worth?

I say 27-29K is fair game for this vehicle.
  • Options
    davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    I think some people would be happier with themselves if they paid MSRP for an MDX rather than paying MSRP+$1000 for a Pilot...Even if that MDX cost them $7000 more (but they didnt pay a dime over MSRP)

I always look at the total cost out the door for one vehicle vs another and see which one provides ME a greater value...

I like Spyman's theory though...and I'm sure it would work. It's the game Honda is playing right now...They know exactly what the vehicle costs them and they are waiting until the last minute to figure out how much they can get away with setting the abritary MSRP number. It's just a game..we want to pay as little as possible, they want us to pay as much as they can squeeze from us.
  • Options
    mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    It seems that a number of people on this board are hoping to pay over MSRP, are in fact promoting the idea. It is possible that they are car salespeople who are just trying to sucker you all in to the dealer, and I too will "stop" there, to be nice. Who said, 'there's one born every minute...'? On the other hand, they may be just trying to rationalize an emotional decision.

True Market Value is not Edmund's position as to what you SHOULD pay for an MDX or Pilot, it is what people are paying on average. Or should I say, overpaying for an emotional purchase. Many purchase new and used vehicles for well below TMV.

And it is not a question about paying $2.39 for a bag of chips vs. $.99. It is a question of saying it is OK to pay $5.50 for that bag of chips that is marked at $2.39! If you think it is OK, go right ahead.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    >>And this is where it gets tricky...just how much does each one of us think the Pilot is worth?

I say 27-29K is fair game for this vehicle.>>

The Pilot will sell for whatever the market bears. It is based on all things that are produced, supply and demand. If the quality is high, and the product represents a real diference, then you'll see MSRP. Anything OVER MSRP isn't worth buying...IMHO

Jerry
  • Options
    mredden1mredden1 Member Posts: 32
    Does Honda and other manufacturers have different pricing for different parts of the country (US)? I can see higher prices being justifiable in certain high cost areas like California since real estate, salaries, etc. are higher than other parts of the country. On the other hand, supply and demand will ultimately determine the price of the Pilot irregardless of MSRP (which in itself is a made-up number)
  • Options
    SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    It has nothing to do with hoping or wanting to pay MSRP. It has nothing to do with being a sucker either. MSRP is an arbitrary number set by the manufacturer. Sometimes if a car is in high demand, you have to pay over that number. Once demand dies down, you can get the car for less than that number. The point is, at any given time, the car is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

So if people are willing to pay more than that arbitrary number, to get a car they really want, sooner rather than later, suddenly they're "suckers", or pawns of the dealer?

You talk about rationalizing an emotional decision - it seems to me that you and others who treat MSRP as some line in the sand, to be crossed at your own peril, are really the ones getting emotional here. The emotion being fear, fear of getting taken, when all you are really doing is spending a few extra bucks to get the car you want now, instead of a year (or more) from now.

The people who pay over MSRP aren't suckers; they're the ones who will be enjoying your longing stares as they cruise around in their nice new Honda Pilots this Summer...

<< off soapbox >> =)
  • Options
    Wrongo. I'll likely be waving from my MDX that I paid at or below sticker since you guys "burning cash" on above MSRP Pilots have taken the demand off the MDX.

"Longing stares" is kind of funny too. We're not talking Porsche or Ferrari. I don't typically drool over standard family vehicles. Do you drool over Accords when they drive by? If you "long" for an Ody or Pilot, maybe you should set your sites a little higher. Don't forget, although Car & Driver liked the Pilot, they did use words like, 'uninteresting,' 'bland Pilot styling,' fun-to-drive isn't really part of this vehicle's character.' I don't recall they mentioning 'longing stares' or people stopping them asking 'what are you driving?' Anonymous is more like it. Which is fine. But longing stares?
  • Options
    I don't think demand for the Pilot will decrease the MDX's popularity. While there are those on this board who are cross-shopping the two, the two vehicles are still catering to different demographics.
  • Options
    Hey if you get an MDX for at or below sticker, more power to you. It only took what, a year or so for the price to come down enough so that it's worth it for you. That's great.

And I doubt that all the "suckers" who have been enjoying the MDX's they bought last year for over sticker will spite you for it.
  • Options
    I agree that this MSRP thread has gone on too long.

Let's just say there's some that will and some that won't. Ain't that what makes America (& Canada) great?

So, we wait and see what the market does. If you buy above MSRP, more power to you and enjoy an obviously quality vehicle. Just remember, there are many equally well built and versatile vehicles out there and a good deal is still a good deal.

I also didn't wait in line to see Star Wars today. So, I'll wait a week or so and get in away from the heavy crowds.
  • Options
    You wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway (I went today). Too many people cheering and clapping with every light-saber fight. It only gets worse when Yoda takes out his light-saber.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The addition of traction control really closes the gap between the MDX and the pilot. Features the MDX still wins, and possibly the add-ons justify the 32K to 35K price difference. Traction control doesn't only close the price justification gap, but gives the pilot an edge over the MDX. Probably means the 2003 MDX will have it, and possibly bigger motor.
  • Options
    MotorTrend reports that the MDX's engine will likely get bumped to 3.8L, probably producing ~260hp or more (I suspect no more than 280hp, though).
  • Options
    giovannettigiovannetti Member Posts: 9
    at the collegehillshonda web site
  • Options
    Checking the honda pilot site...it says nothing about a TCS system? The Hondanews site is created in conjunction with Wieck Media Services? So who is right? Anyone have additional information? How about you test drivers? Was there a new car sheet in the window? I guess we will find out everything for sure soon.
  • Options
    traetrae Member Posts: 8
    $30,500+$500 DEST. EXL GO TO VTEC.NET FOR THE NEWS
  • Options
    nhnewbienhnewbie Member Posts: 8
    If you go to honda pilot site that was updated today and go to the specifications link you'll see that TCS is checked for both the LX and EX models.
  • Options
    davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    to save the trek to Vtec.net

The pricing for the 2003 Honda Pilot has been released:

LX $26,900
    EX $29,270
    EX-L $30,520
    EX-L w/DVD Entertainment System $32,020
    EX-L with Navi System $32,520

Destination and Handling $460

Release Date June 3rd
  • Options
    carstuff3carstuff3 Member Posts: 11
    Well its time to start the price comparisions...The price is bit higher than I expected. For $4,200 more than an EX-L you can get an MDX. Less any discount you maybe able to get on the MDX. What do you get for that $4,200. A lot ...Here is what I see:
    Moonroof
    Heated Seats
    Heated Mirrors
    Fog Lights
    Leather Steering Wheel
    Simulated Wood Trim
    Trip Computer
    Auto/Day Night Mirror
    17' Wheels and Tires
    4/50,000 Warranty
    Acura exclusivity
    If resales are comparable, which I would suspect they will be, you will get a portion of that $4,200.
    Have an order in for the Pilot at an Acura/Honda dealer. Maybe I'll shift to the MDX????
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The pricing is pretty much what I expected. At $31k, the EX-L at MSRP slots nicely against a discounted Highlander Limited.

Figure that some buyers will tack on a few or several hundred dollars of accessories. E.g. CD changer, driving/fog lights, autodimming rear view mirror, cargo tray, cargo cover, etc. Discounters like www.hondacuraworld.com should have good prices on those items, most of which should be easy to install yourself (the driving lights should be the biggest issue).
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Forgot if someone else posted this link, but C&D has their review of the Pilot on-line.

http://caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/june/200206_roadtest_pilot.xml

• Options
    I'm with you on waiting to see Star Wars. Finally saw Spider-Man last nite, nice empty theatre, had the best seat in the house. =)
  • Options
    Not bad. In fact, quite competitive. We have a Trailblazer with an MSRP of 38K in our house! With Pilot maxing out at roughly 32.5K, it's very competitive.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    An Odyssey with leather stickers for 28,250. The Pilot with leather is 30,520.

$2300 for AWD and a rugged SUV image seems about right.
  • Options
    bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    The Odyssey and Pilot are not that comparable. The Odyssey has way more room for people and cargo. In essense, if you don't need the "rugged SUV" look (and who cares these days with everyone driving a SUV), then a Odyssey will do, especially at a savings of $2,300 and less of a future waiting list I would guess.

However if you need AWD, don't like driving the minivan "bus", want something a bit smaller, then the Pilot makes sense.

As for comparisons to the Highlander. The Pilot is cheaper, has a larger and more powerful engine and has 3 rows of seating. If you think about it, it straddles the line between a Sequoia and Highlander in terms of size and capacity, yet is cheaper than a Highlander. Admittedly, it's closer in concept to the Highlander, but it definitely has some larger SUV traits.
  • Options
    towelmantowelman Member Posts: 28
    Your friendly Honda should have received brochures and pricing for the Pilot today.
    Looks like the LX model does not have privacy glass.
  • Options
    Is that right? I'll have to call Honda and tell them that you said I should have my brochures today.

Jerry
  • Options
    esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    With Pilot joining the party, it will definitely lower the price of highlander, and subquentially lower the sale price for pilot. It is all good.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    i'm interested in a pilot-exl with nav how does that compare with the mdx nav $$$$$$, also, anyone talk with an acura dealer, how much wait for a mdx, last i spoke with one (2 months ago) it was a 5 month wait, you need to put that into the calculation
    pilot wait <1month
    mdx ????????
  • Options
    Regarding that wait. I would wager, since the MDX and Pilot will have about the same monthly build rate for a while (~60K each), that if you aren't on the list NOW for a Pilot, the wait is going to be more than 1 month. Doesn't everyone feel the initial Pilots are all spoken for so you'd be down the list a ways? Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    I would call around and ask at Acura Dealerships. I waited 4 months. Got mine in April. However the week mine came in, I started get calls from other places that I had inquired. Those places wouldn't beat MSRP for one on the lot, in fact for immediate delivery they still wanted a premium. However, I think there are no wait MDX's out there now. And maybe even for MSRP.
  • Options
    jcopejcope Member Posts: 10
    I kept hearing that the Pilot pricing would be comparable to the Odyssey though a little higher.
    $2,300 more for the Pilot EXL than the Odyssey EXL is more than a little higher. Combine that with dealer markups, I'm wondering if the Pilot is worth it. I could save big bucks getting the Odyssey, or get a Luxury MDX for a few grand more.
  • Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    Just get the Odyssey! It's got alot more cargo room too! Handles and brakes better also.
  • Options
    tschonestschones Member Posts: 1
    I just put a deposit on a Pilot EXL here in NH and the dealer in Manchester had probably 6-8 units in various configurations and colors that I could pick from that are due in later this month. He said he had 3 additional units already spoken for. However, I checked a smaller dealer in a rural area and the 2 units they had coming in June and the 2 units coming in in July were already spoken for. So availability all depends.
  • Options
    The Odyssey handles and brakes better? Is this observation based on your extensive experience driving the Pilot?
  • Options
    Oh yes I have driven the Pilot, I believe it was called the Highlander though and it only had 5 seats.....

He He.

At least Honda is rebadging Toyota's now and not Isuzu's.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    GM, no offense but they aren't rebadging Toyotas. And what great reliable GM product do you drive that is rated #2 in relibality 97->present in the SUV market behind Toyota? (Yep Isuzu is #2 behind Toyota for reliability in the SUV market from JD Power and CR)

-mike
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    huh? I get the Isuzu thing but can you help me out with the Toyota thing? Are you trying to be ironic? sarcastic? Step me through this one.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    It's reliability hasn't been rated as far as I know, and if it was I wouldn't care either way. I have an incredible warranty, top notch customer service, and if I ever do have a problem I get an 02' DTS or V8 model Aurora as a loaner.

I haven't had any problems as of yet, although I did get a $56,000 DTS as a loaner when they put my spoiler on and my window tinting.

Also I have 24 hour roadside assistance and Onstar. So am I really worried about reliability? No I'm guaranteed to have a perfect car for the next 5 years and I'm plenty happy with that. That's when it will be paid off with $0 interest.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That's cool, so when you are stuck on a backroad at 3am, and miss your daughter's graduation from college due to the fact that they are fixing your car, it'll all be good right? :)

-mike
  • Options
    prjacoprjaco Member Posts: 7
    The brochures are in (just picked up one)at the local dealer, first cars arrive here June 1 and it takes regular gas. The dealer wants a $500 deposit. They are planning on selling them for 2-3K over MSRP with "added value items for the money." Still considering the MDX.
  • Options
    I've never been stranded by any of the GM vehicles I've ever owned. Onstar works anywhere in the Continental US, and elsewhere I've heard. They can dispatch anyone to my location in minutes they will know where I am within a few feet of my location with the use of GPS.

I'm only 26 so I won't be missing my daughters graduation! Again I will never be fixing my car either. If it ever does have a problem they will pick me up ASAP and deliver me to my destination.

Oh and who has a graduation at 3am???

I haven't had one problem since I left the dealership with it back in November. I just turned 12,000 miles on it and it's just like it was when I bought it.
  • Options
    It is foolish to pay over MSRP for a car. Especially $2-3K over MSRP!

If you can't get a better deal then I would just wait or look at the other SUV's available on the Market. You know one of the many 100's it seems like you can buy today.
  • Options
    jcopejcope Member Posts: 10
    Paying 2-3 thousand over MSRP is crazy. Those dealers will end up with huge inventories, while those selling at MSRP will have all the business.
    Dealers will eventually get wise and reduce or eliminate their markups.
  • Options
    pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Seriously here, I think the LX is going to be the one you want from the Pilot line-up. What is the only major difference between that and the upper level EX flavor? The automatic climate control. Everything else (the keyless/alarm) and the stereo is easily accomplished via aftermarket..and the 3K MSRP difference (notice only the 2k invoice difference) between LX and EX isn't worth it in my opinion. It seems even more blatant to give the dealers some more profit and keep 'em happy. I think this especially if you consider EX-L...you should have gotten the MDX.
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    There's jkust something about not having privacy glass in the back that makes me cringe. It makes me think of an old dirty Caravan. Honda is cheating us by not making it available.
  • Options
    Honda is building only 10% LX's...all the rest are EX' EXL, EXL/RES, EXL/NAV

Jerry