Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any news on Dodge Dakota Crew Cabs in 2000

Comments

• tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    Ordered from Jeff at Carlisle Dodge-thanks tlynn.
    I just mailed my $500 deposit. Quoted $200 under invoice. Dest. and marketing fee ($535!) are part of the total. However, I am disappointed that I can't take the farm bureau $500 discount- he called me back to say they already included it-they sign up all their customers, whether they know it or not, and take the credit themselves. Therefore, the deal is actually $300 over invoice. Still-pretty good, considering most dealers are not willing to negotiate much. Two local Miami dealers offered the same $700 off MSRP. I know some people may be getting better deals, but I've drawn the line and think I've done well. If not for this deal, I was just about to order a club cab, at invoice, from another dealer. For the $2000 price difference, I hope the Quad Cab is worth it-I've only seen it in pictures!
    Now-hopefully I'll get accurate updates concerning ETA of the vehicle, since now I have to try and time the sale of my '97 Dakota. Should be here in 4 to 8 weeks, unless the build date stretches to late December, then the factory shuts down for a week or two.
    As an aside, this is the second car I've purchased with help from the internet. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. I've probably saved almost $2000 total. It's only a matter of time before all dealers will have internet sales departments, or they'll be extinct.
  • lkendalllkendall Member Posts: 2
    NEED YOUR INPUT HELP
    ?? Can 2 average size adults ride in the back seat for 3 hours or longer, maybe about 5'6"
    and average built . We often take road trips and would like to take our adult friends with us.
    WaitIng for your response,

Trying to get input from those out there before
    i order ours, I too have only seen them in PIctures, I too have been in touch with Jeff
    in Clearwater,
    best price i can find,
    L Kendall
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    The answer is yes, two adults can ride in the back of a Quad for 3 hours. Take note... I am 5'10" when I adjust the driver's seat for me to drive, and then sit in the back, my knees lightly touch the front seat. This is the same as in my '90 Taurus. Do note that the back seat in a Quad sits up more than a normal seat does, and you can't recline it :-)
    I am planning on ordering my Quad for my family of four (two kids under 5). I sent my wife to the dealer last week, and she agreed that the back seat in the Quad is better for our kids than any of the CC trucks we've looked at.
    I am going to wait to order mine until spring. I bought one of the first New style '96 Grand Caravans when they came out in the fall of '95, and I will wait several months after any new release now. You won't beleive how many parts are different on my '96 compared to late model '96 vans.
  • rlholmrlholm Member Posts: 37
    Got an email last night and a phone call this morning saying that my quad cab has been built and assigned a rail car for shipment. That totally blew me away. I wasn't expecting to see it until January. Now they say it will arrive before Thanksgiving. The only bad news is that the Farm Bureau discount is not currently available on the Quad cab according to the sales guy and a manager at Dave Smith Motors. They were careful to explain that the discount comes from Dodge and they see no benefit either way. If the discount becomes available before I pick it up then I get it, otherwise not. The other challenge is that the people of WA state just repealed the yearly excise tax on vehicles effective January 1, 2000. Can you believe tabs were going to cost me over $700! With the early arrival I guess I'll drive for a month on the temporary permit and then park it for a week or two until January 1 and pay $75 instead. Small price to pay for an early Christmas...

ferous,
    I am a little nervous about taking one of the first quad cabs, but have reassured myself in the fact that the chassis and powertrain are identical to what's already been in production for awhile first in the Jeep and more recently in the Club cab. The only changes I'm aware of are from the front seat back and only with the cab and bed. I've been waiting over 2 years to replace my old 82 Datsun and nearly a year for the Quad Cab to materialize. Just couln't wait any longer.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    dodge states that all 2000 dakotas that are 6 and 8 cylinders are eligable for the 500 discount, i even asked my dealer and called dodge themselves, you may want to look a little further. my quad should be here before thanksgiving also, it rolled off the line on nov 3rd, supposed to ship this week or first of next week.

good luck all,

robert
  • lewis12lewis12 Member Posts: 2
    tgr 1

You stated the Dest. and Marketing fee that Carlisle Dodge was charging you was $535.00. Is that correct?

Normal Destination is $520.00, so that leaves $15.00 for Marketing Fee, are you sure about the dollar amounts? They want to charge me $495.00 Marketing Fee.
    henne,

What the dealer told me was that when the truck first came available (i.e. when I ordered) the discount was available. The discount is at the time of purchase however, and currently has been removed. The dealer indicated the discount may be available again soon. The dealer even offered to delay the purchase a few weeks if it looked like that would be the case. It smells to me like Dodge is trying to make a clarification between the Quad cab and the other Dakotas and thus the confusion. Did you talk to Dodge on a general info line, or talk to someone in particular? I'd like to figure out what the real deal is.
  • lancelaruelancelarue Member Posts: 6
    The only line where I have heard that the Farm Bureau discount is available is 1-800-4adodge. Unfortunately, as many of you may have realized, the "service" folks on that number are not trained beyond simply repeating what is already located on the webpage. Note that the webpage says the farm bureau discount "may be available" on the Dodge Dakota, and refers one to the dealer for further details. I would not count on the word of the 1-800-4adodge folks for anything other than what you can already find on the webpage. If anyone has a clear answer on the Farm Bureau discount, is it likely to be the American Farm Bureau in Illinois. I have a call in to them at this time and if I get a clear answer I will post it.
    has anyone gotten a price on the new folding hard cover for the quad bed, and who makes it,my dealer has no pricing on it.

thanks for any help,

robert
    well, i finally found a price of 725.00 and its an aluminum folding, folds into 4 or 5 pieces they said, but i still havent found out the manufacturer, you can usually get them cheaper through a truck accessories shop, any ideas?

thanks,

robert
    To lewis12, sorry if my post was confusing. I am paying invoice for base vehicle and options, plus $520 dest.fee, plus $535 for "regional advertising", plus $300 dealer profit, minus $500 farm bureau credit. That works out to $200 below "invoice", although the ad fees are the highest I've seen.
    Lewis, just noticed your post #101, and see that you ordered from JScherer 3 days before I did. Also, I'm apparently paying $40 more for ad fees than you. Guess I'll be getting more out of those "dodge-different" commercials. Jeff told me that he had received about 6 orders for quads in recent days off the internet. I'll be curious about your build date. If you hear soon, please post it. Our trucks could come in on the same carrier. Mine will be the intense blue one. Thanx.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I too was going to order my Quad in Intense Blue and put a topper on it. Then I looked at how much "BLUE" that was going to be. So I'm ording the Driftwood also. May be I'm just getting old.
    dealer handling fees, i hope your not referring to dealer prep, dodge pays the dealer to inspect the cars and put fuses in and test drive them, i have had dealers try that before and when i tell them im calling the manufacturer about it they always back down. i have also ordered a car and they put all the scotch guard, and rust protection on and try and charge me, they said they have to put it on, not true, dont ask for it and dont pay for it, and i have friends that make them take off the dealerhip sticker off the back of their car, the dealer isnt paying them to advertise this, thats like walking up to the sales managers car and sticking a bumper sticker to advertise your job on his car.

robert
  • scottair3scottair3 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my 4x2 Quad on 10-27-99, just got a call today 11-12-99, it is already on it's way. originally told 6-8 weeks, cant believe how fast it is coming in.
    Got a great deal on a loaded SLT light driftwood from a lady named connie knupp she beat everyone elses price. www.allensamuelsdodge.com
    Mark Rogers
    Lewis-from what you were quoted by Holler dodge, the Carlisle deal is $500 better. Yes, there is a preprinted $399 handling charge on my order form, but its not included in the total, he said it was waived. My 4x2 is a sport, with almost all the options, except for abs (hope I dont need it), trailer package (dont need it), cruise/tilt (dont use it), and only the base radio (I'm not an audiophile). The TOTAL, with all sales taxes, fees, rebates, etc. is $23,646. Thats about $2,750. more than the best I could do on a club cab, identically equipped. I hope its worth it.

I hope to use 1/2 of the rear seat area to store tools and junk I now keep in a crossover toolbox. Some of my more expensive stuff should be safer inside. Without the toolbox in back of the quad, the usable bed area will be about the same size as a 6.5' bed with a toolbox. Also, my 3 kids are growing, and finding the rear of my '97 club cab tight. But, we have a grand caravan for the longer trips. Is it just me, or is everybody getting spoiled nowadays. When I was little, my mother had a 2 door car, with 5 of us kids inside, even on long trips! How did they do it? My dad was smart though- he traveled in his car and met us there. If you've got kids, you know what I'm talking about; if not, never mind. ;)
  • bakerb17bakerb17 Member Posts: 17
    scottair3,
    CONGRATS! Glad to hear so many folks are getting quick delivery on the Quads. I ordered mine on 5 Nov. from here in Japan. Having it delivered to Georgia. Hope I get the same fast results as you. I'll be back in "the land of the big PX" in 14 days. It would be nice to have my truck soon there after.

Bake
  • kelikikeliki Member Posts: 4
    Bake,

Did AAFES match the price that Clearwater Dodge provided? AAFES is telling me my truck would not be available until the Feb. What kind of delivery date did they give you?

Thanks

Chris
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    I saw the first Quad Cab here in KC a couple of
    days ago. Very Nice!! it is on the showroom floor
    at the dealer. they were closed but it looks like a loaded 4x4 Sport with the 4.7
    the only thing is the color was refrigerator white, not the most inspiring color but it still looked sharp! I plan to order mine the first part of January, so until then I will be very interested in your comments on the 4x2 with the 4.7 motor. Happy Motoring all!
    They sure did. The quote was right at $900 less than the AAFES price and they matched it plus an additional $25 (not that $25 is alot, but it's the point). They are telling me also that mine won't be delivered until Feb. but from what I'm reading here, LOTS of people are getting delivery REALLY fast. AAFES just gives delivery dates that are about 75 days out to cover their own A**. Then when you get delivery earlier you're happy. Good luck with yours.

Bake
  • mrogers3mrogers3 Member Posts: 2
    Drove a 4x2 saturday in Houston, Mine should be here this week, it has only been 3 weeks. Dives and handles better than I hoped, 4.7 is a powerful motor , very impressed , lots of room, roomy bed, comfortable...... its everything I hoped for and then some, wait til you drive one I believe you will feel the same. this is my first Dodge product, still cant believe it came in so fast.
    Mark,
    When did you order yours? Looks like alot of people are getting their Quads about a month after order.

Bake
    I got a call yesterday saying that my truck's rail trip is completed. It's in the nearby city of Spokane, WA. Today or tomorrow a car carrier will drop it off at the dealer in Kellogg, ID. For the record, I made my verbal order on Oct. 22 and they probably received the signed copy by mail on Oct. 26. Most likely next Tuesday I'll pay the $75 for a flight from Seattle to Spokane, WA and pick it up--sooner if it's ready and my schedule permits. 3 weeks is pretty impressive. I'll guess mine was part of the dealer's initial allotment and was already partially complete when I ordered. I sure haven't seen any around Seattle yet.

Other items of interest: The advertising came in at $400 ($35 cheaper than the invoice I signed). "Dodge-different" worked for me in that case. The Farm Bureau rebate *is* available after all and I also get a rebate on my tabs. (A local marketing ploy to get people to keep on buying cars instead of waiting for the Washington state $30 tab initiative to take effect Jan 1.) If this works as I'm hoping, they'll rebate the $700+ I would have had to pay, I'll park it for the last week of December after the temporary permit expires, the pay $30 instead and pocket the difference.
  • mrogers3mrogers3 Member Posts: 2
    I bought mine on 10-27-99 and it was shipped on 11-11-99, not sure of exact day it will arive but I believe it will be either this week or next week. Mark Rogers
    im not sure where all of you live, but i ordered mine on oct 18, it was finished on nov 3, it has been waiting on a rail car since, they said that there was a problem with the rail company that comes to my area, in mississippi.

still waiting,

robert
  • windskinwindskin Member Posts: 9
    I live in the San Francisco Bay area of California. The quad cabs are starting to make their debut out here, but nobody really has much info on the color choices.

Can anyone send me a pic of the Dark Garnet Red or the Amber Fire color?

-=windskin=-
  • bees1bees1 Member Posts: 16
    Windskin, at the dodge site: www.4adodge.com you can check out colors. Picture isn't too large but all colors are shown. That amber fire is like the orangy-bronze that Mercedes offers. Saw one by the Mercedes dealership off of hwy 101. Where in the bay area did you see a quad? I'm in San Fran & can't seem to find one even to look at. Good luck! Bees
  • amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    ordered mine around oct 27. dealer clueless about when its coming. saw a black quad sport today at a dealer in ridgewood nj-super nice. plenty room front and back; nice radio; decent sized bed.
    Windskin, go to www.4adodge.com, check out colors under the quad cab section, I beleive its under accesories, but I might be mistaken. When you choose a color, the picture is small, but you can export it to windows "paint" by right clicking the image, then copying, and pasting in your "paint" program. Then you can blow it up to any size you want.
    I finally got to see & test drive the Quad. All I can say is...WOW! I loved it. What a nice ride & a lot of get-up & go. I also sat in the back & it was comfortable. I'm short so leg room is usually not a problem but a tall person might be uncomfortable on a long drive if the front seat was pushed pretty far back. They had a dark garnet red that looked nice but not the color I want & the options were not plentiful. I had to laugh because they had a "Dealer markup" listed for almost $3000.00! What nerve! Truck price was over $27,000. without tax & lic. I didn't even try to negotiate, just wasn't interested in that particular truck. Looked at a white 4x4 also but want a 4 x 2. The QUAD is just a damn nice truck!
    F.Y.I: Windskin, truck was at Redwood City Dodge.
    I live in the San Francisco Bay area of California. The quad cabs are starting to make their debut out here, but nobody really has much info on the color choices.

Can anyone send me a pic of the Dark Garnet Red or the Amber Fire color?

-=windskin=-
    bees1, the quad I saw ws actually in Gilroy. It just got there this week. Autowest Dodge in Freemont is hard up to me one too, so I imaging they have one as well. I just palced the order last night in Gilroy for $850 over invoice. Any comments as to this price? I thought it was pretty good. You can check invoice for yourself at http://www.edmunds.com
  • lopesclopesc Member Posts: 2
    I have been waiting for the Quad Cab. I do quite a bit of traveling during the week, and you would never guess what I found. The Budget in Chicago at O'Hare airport rents quad cabs. I have rented one for the week, and love it. I just thought I would pass this information along so if you are traveling and would like to get a better feel for the truck, this is the way to go.I have been waiting for the arrival of the Quad
  • jarzmanjarzman Member Posts: 2
    I just spoke to my dealer and I had placed on order on November 1. I am in the Detroit area (where they are assembled)and he just called me and said it was scheduled for delivery the first week in December. It is a 4X4 SLT with V8 and automatic, pretty much has everything for $300 over invoice and they are throwing in a bedliner for the back. I believe mine was delayed a week or two because I wanted two tone which was restricted initially.
    Windskin, Congrats! $850. could be a great price if you let us know exactly what you got. What was your final "out-the-door" price including tax & license? What color did you end up with? Did your salesperson appear knowledgeable? (sorry about so many questions!) The best of luck to you. I am still trying to get a good deal buying 2 trucks at once. My Husband wants an extended cab 4 x 4 and the Quad 4 x 2 for me.
    Bees
  • rwpetersonrwpeterson Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any information about the Gold Key Plus program availability for the new Quad Cab?
    I bought my Grand Cherokee Limited on this program and I want to do the same for my Quad Cab. I have not seen any fixed value figures (residual values) anywhere. The 4adodge site does not have the updated info for the Quad Cab yet, it still shows $4400.00 after 36 months.
  • scottair3scottair3 Member Posts: 2
    Mine came in today and is now in my garage, I cant begin to tell you how satisfied I am with it. Drive, Power Stereo, Room, Feel,came in about 4 1/2 weeks early, call me lucky i guess. You will not be disapointed when it arrives. this is my first Dodge and I am very impressed to say the least. mark rogers
  • wolziewolzie Member Posts: 3
    Saw a Dakota Quad Cab on a lot today and man does it look sweet! A question for someone who might know though. Is the 2WD build on the same platform as the 4WD or is there a height difference?
    Bees1, I don't have the final price as yet, but it's pretty close to what you'll find on edmunds for invoice prices. I'm getting a 4x4 quad, 5 spd man, leather int & dual exhaust (dealer adds). It should come to about 28,500 at the highest OTD. BTW- I ordered the Amber Fire. It better be cool and not lame. Otherwise, it'll be the only one you'll see in the San Jose area.

L8r

-=windskin=-
  • davewarwick1davewarwick1 Member Posts: 25
    Have 200 K on the 4wd S-10, but looking seriously at the Dodge 2000 quad cab. Saw the first one a few days ago. Looks great in red, test drove and rides pretty good. Not quite the ride of a full size but nice. Any idea on invoice cost for decked out sport quad cab with 4wd.
  • frankcandifrankcandi Member Posts: 2
    This is for you lucky few that have already picked up you Quad Cabs. Are you happy with the performance of the 4X4,V-6 with the manual tranny? What kind of gas mileage are you getting? I just got a call from our local dealer today and they have just received their first. I can't wait to go and see it first hand. Thanks for the info.
    bees1, the quad I saw ws actually in Gilroy. It just got there this week. Autowest Dodge in Freemont is hard up to me one too, so I imaging they have one as well. I just palced the order last night in Gilroy for $850 over invoice. Any comments as to this price? I thought it was pretty good. You can check invoice for yourself at http://www.edmunds.com
    frankcandi, I don't know of anyone who has bought or ordered a V6. Mine's a 4X4 4.7l auto, but most estimates show the milage about the same. I'm getting about 15mpg with some city driving (based on the trip computer) I won't know for sure until I fill up tonight. I've only got 400 miles on it so far. Personally, I'm glad I got the V8. The engine and whole vehicle are incredible. Everytime I go near the truck, someone wants to talk to me about it.
  • ncampbellncampbell Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen the 0-60 mph numbers for an auto or manual 4.7L Dakota?
    Windskin, Is there only 1 Dodge Dealship in Gilroy? I might check them out. I went to Hayward Dodge 11/21 & had a really good salesman but didn't work out the deal 'cause they only had a black truck even though it was loaded. I saw the Amber Fire Pearl & it's great! That's what I want to get. $850.00 over invoice seems really reasonable, did they hassle you to get this deal? The dealships(at least Hayward & Redwood City) are not offering me the option of special ordering a vehicle. They made it seem that this is all you get! I didn't push the point right then, am waiting to see what Serramonte Dodge in Daly City gets in. They all B.S. you so much! The Amber Fire I saw is on a club cab with a V6.Looked very, very sharp not "Hot-Wheelish" (hope that doesn't offend you, I guess some people like the "Hot Wheel" look). Hey, dual exhaust is a great idea. My Husband & his friend got all hyped when I told them. Our friend got a loaded 4x4 & it has so much 'spunk' that it's hard to stay off the pedal! He's been getting 16.5 MPG on the highway (70-75 mph avg-no tickets yet!) Can't wait to hear your reaction when you get yours. Do they have a delivery date? Take it easy. Bees
    ncampbell, I saw numbers for the jeep with the 4.7l w/ auto at something like 7.2s for 0-60. I think the Jeep is maybe 300lb heavier. I'd expect slightly faster assuming you can keep from spinning the rear wheels. Mine sure is spunky when I let it dig down.
  • davewarwick1davewarwick1 Member Posts: 25
    Our local dealer does not have a quad brochure (even though they have a truck to test drive). What are the basic differences between the Sport and the SLT?. Gas mileage is concerning. You would think with technology available that the mileage could be better. Consumer Reports no longer has the Dakota on the "recommended to buy" list.
    The SLT comes standard with different options. What the SLT has as standard that the Sport can't be equipped with, is as follows:
    -chrome bumpers & grille
    -underhood insulation
    Also, the SLT can be ordered w/2 tone paint, and body side moulding as options, the Sport can't.
    I recently ordered a Sport Quad, but just noticed that the SLT comes standard with cruise/tilt, for the same price as a Sport without cruise/tilt (otherwise, identically equipped). In other words, you get cruise/tilt for free.
    The Sport comes standard with "sportier" stuff, such as the handling package. The bumpers/grill are body color. I like this look, but its simply a personal thing.
    I almost forgot, I believe the Sport model has fewer color choices available.
  • coulterccoulterc Member Posts: 21
    Ordered a Dakota QC 4.7, 5 speed last night, loaded. The dealer is pretty hopeful that it'll come before the Christmas shutdown, since it's a standard and most don't go w/standard. Got the deep garnet pearl, I really wanted the amber fire, but the wife and kid said "bleah". I shoulda pushed harder for it :-)
This discussion has been closed.