Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

RECENT FORD F-150 SUPERCAB BUYERS

Comments

• Options
    captmanateecaptmanatee Member Posts: 1
    I am going to be buying a new pickup within the next month. I am leaning toward an F150, but will consider a Ranger. The deals right now on the '99s look good but the selection of 2000's is better. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience, good or bad, that they could tell me about buying/owning a Ford pickup? Respond here or my email is hwc@bigfoot.com
  • Options
    kjenkinsafkjenkinsaf Member Posts: 1
    Rusty I'd love to know which buying service you used for that great deal. Please email me at KJenkinsAF@aol.com
  • Options
    arvizu1arvizu1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Steve, I just read the question you posted here on the 27th of Aug. Whatever you do, do not get the 4.2 V6. Reason 1: you will not get much better gas mileage than a V8. Reason 2: the cost of a V8 is not much more and well worth the money. If I remember correctly the suggested retail for the 4.6 V8 is around $860 and the suggested retail for the 5.4 is just under $1500. My suggestion is spend the money, get the good engine and you won't be sorry.

As for gear ratio, 3.55 is about middle of the line. It's a good ratio for hauling/towing and for fuel economy.

Good luck to you.
  • Options
    Hey dude, stick with the Ford. I have a couple of friends who have 1999 Chevy Silverado's and have driven both of their trucks. It's a nice truck but they will shake you to death. The back end shakes alot at 60 to 75 mph even on smooth paved highway. As for the Dodge Rams, I feel they are poorly built, meaning the interior has too many rattles. I think the Ford is an overall better value and give a much more comfortable ride.
  • Options
    jreiff1jreiff1 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to add to arvizul1 comment about the fords...
    I own a 1998 stepside 4X4 reg. cab with
    the 4.6 V8, I drive to N.C at least once a year
    and the first year I drove it I averaged 19.0
    MPG....It's a great truck...
    I average 16 MPG around town...
    I noticed if I drive with the Overdrive off
    around town, I do better with gas...
    Whatever you do, investagate all of you options
    Good Luck.
  • Options
    dohdoh Member Posts: 6
    I am planning to get a 1999 F150 XLT SC w/V8 engine. I would be using it just as a utility vehicle(occasional lumber, plants, etc.) and as a sometimes commute to work vehicle. I cannot decide between the short bed and the long bed. I know that 8 foot lumber and plywood are not going to fit in the short bed with the tailgate up but that would be infrequent. Does anyone have any 1st-hand experience in differences in handling, noise, parking ability, space, fuel economy, etc?
    THanks for your help.
  • Options
    alex25alex25 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 F150 2wd Lariat, 4.6 V8 SC,FSide back in December. It's really a beauty! It's clearcoat bright red. I was upfront with the dealer at SIMON FORD, showed them edmund's invoice price. Paid $23,868 through ford's financing (4.9% for 4 years)and they agreed to throw in the black cab steps for free. I have about 13200 miles on it now and it has been absolutely&positively,without any doubt,the best truck for me.I've added front mud flaps, alarm/remote starter, Duraliner bed liner,a soft tannoue cover and a set of 1500 series PIAA foglamps. Hope this helps you and good luck!
  • Options
    ptarnuzzerptarnuzzer Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery a 99 Ford F-150 XLT 4 Door SuperCab 4X2 It has the 4.6L V8, all power, CD, Captains Chairs, Class III Towing Package, sliding rear window, locking rear axle and Sport Package which includes 275R60-17 Eagle ST's mounted on Aluminum Wheels, Body Colored Bumpers and Mirrors, the honeycomb grill and a sticker that says Sport! It was a demo, so it had 1800 miles on it and a factory soft tonneau cover and keyless entry. The 2000 I had on order was identical, but did not have captains chairs, the tonneau cover or the keyless entry! I ended up getting this one for about $300 less, and it had $800 more in options! The final deal was $500 under dealer invoice! I looked at the GMC as well, but the four door model wasn't available till November, and they wouldn't even take orders until then! I decided against the 2000 F-150 after seeing that they changed the rear seat configuration. I haul more stuff, than I do people, so when they changed from the flip forward with a huge flat storage surface to the flip up, no space fall over the hump design (same as Dodge and Chevy), I went on a hunt for a 99! My major fear being Ford will realize their blunder and go back to their original design in 2001 and I have the only model year F-150 no on wants! I did test drive a new 2000 GMC yesterday (then left and bought the Ford). It was more expensive and the ride was much stiffer (like a rock!) Of course, now I have to sell my 94 Ranger, know anyone looking for a good used truck?
  • Options
    What rear end would you recommend on a F150 XLT with a V8 for around town/house utility use? Some occasional highway driving will happen so mileage does count. THanks.
  • Options
    What's a locking rear axle?
  • Options
    Basically any rear end you get on any truck is going to have a limited slip differential. The main thing you are concerned about is the Ratio. I have a 1999 F-150 XLT SC with a 5.4 V8 and 3.55 ratio limited slip differential, that will be able to haul/tow more than what I really need it for. Right now I am getting about 15.5 mpg combined city/highway, but my engine is not broken in yet. For you, getting a 4.6 V8 should be more than adequate for waht (oops, dislexia is a terrible disease), what you need.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I have pretty much picked the
    3.55 with limited slip. I am still not sure about the ratios. Is the higher number going to give better highway mileage or the other way around?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    The only thing you need to remember when it comes to ratios is the higher the number the lower the gas mileage but the more weight you will be able to haul/tow.
  • Options
    bogotabogota Member Posts: 1
    i've been looking for an extended cab xlt with the 4.6. i went through autobytel and was referred to a dealership in olive branch,mississippi. he quoted me at a price of $22,670 saying that was approximately $600.00 over invoice. does this sound correct? It has the auto transmission,but i'm not sure if options caused the price to be higher than what edmunds had it quoted at invoice, which was around $19,000 with an msrp of $22,000. If someone could tell me of a better deal in west Tennessee please do.
  • Options
    Anybody have any remarks for/against the Triton 5.4 V8 in a 1999 XLT versus the 4.6 V8? The truck I am considering is the 1999 XLT with 3.55 axle, 5.4 V8, SC/SB. I will not be towing very often and had sought after this truck with the 4.6 V8.
    Will I be sorry to move up to the 5.4 V8 on additional maintenance or major mileage differences?
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I am leaning toward the 5.4 V8 just because it is my 1st choice color and has all the options desired. I didn't really want a "hot-rod" look or feel and hope the bigger engine doesn't lend itself toward that.
  • Options
    jblconbilljblconbill Member Posts: 1
    I bought a leftover '97 base longbed supercab with the 4.2 V-6, 5 spd, 3.55 rear and A/C in December of 1997. The '97 base models were almost identical to the '98 XLs. The truck 35,000 miles on it, all in South Florida, has carried 30 sheets of 5/8 x 4 x 12 drywall many times, and has gotten 15-16 mpg on every tank of gas. The tires have about 12,000 miles of tread left on them, and the only problem has been a bad wiper switch (it would go on at strange times). For me, this is a work truck. The last crewcab I had went 297,000 miles before I traded it in. Oh, and because this was a leftover, and a stick (nobody drives a standard down here) I paid $16,480 plus tax!
  • Options
    lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    How do you figure "any rear end on any truck is going to be limited slip" Big stink on other posts about not being able to get limited slip on a particular axle ratio on the super dutys. Just asking. Take care
  • Options
    I guess I should have been more specific, I was refering to the light duty F-150's. Yes, I have been reading the posts on the super duty trucks and have read that some people have not been able to get lsd's with some axle ratios. I looked at quite a lot of F-150's at many different dealers and all the F-150's that I looked at had lsd's. Like I said, I should have been more specific. Take care.
  • Options
    sanantonio1sanantonio1 Member Posts: 8
    I am beginning to search for a year 2000 f150. I was told by a dealer in San Antonio, Tx., that he would not be able to give any deals for 30 days or so. I was hoping to find a dealer willing to sell for 200 to 300 over invoice. Has anyone had any luck in San Antonio or nearby on the 2000 models?
  • Options
    wking2wking2 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 f150 on order that I am purchasing at invoice. The 30 day stuff is a bunch of bull crap! I got my deal by submitting through Autobytel, and you can probably get a good deal too if you are willing to order a 2000 rather than buying one off of a lot. Even though they are selling a vehicle at invoice they are still making money, don't let anybody B.S you! As reference material, my truck is an f150/sc/sb/4x4/4.6l/5 spd/sliding rear/tonneau /cab steps invoice price = 23,188
  • Options
    ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    Doesn't matter - light duty/heavy duty - you better check what you are buying. Before buying my 1999 F-150, specified that I must have limited-slip with 4X4. Believe me, this limited the selection process. Can't even count on the Lariet having limited slip. Generally, if you don't have the trailer/towing package - you don't usually see limited slip - unless special ordered.
  • Options
    hhottrodhhottrod Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 99 F-150 xtended, 4x4 with the 4.6L V-8. I was wondering if there were any upgrades I could make to squeak a few more HP's out of it. Has anyone ever dabbled in those high performance 'chips'? Any feedback is appreciated.
  • Options
    farmer1938farmer1938 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a f150 XLT ford 2 wheel drive with a 7700# package. How is the ride and comfort compared to a 1500 chev. with the same options.
  • Options
    caddprocaddpro Member Posts: 20
    I ordered mine like this
    F150 XLT 2wd Supercab Flairside
    v6, auto, keyless entry, cd, sliding window, 255 tires and 3.55 L/S axle
    if you make the put in a special discount code
    B3G you get the keyless entry, cd, 255 tires and
    the 3.55 axle FREE, I upgraded to the L/S axle
    for $240
    Total $22,047 (Invoice)
    they are selling for $1.00 over invoice
    They want me to think they only are making $1.00.
    But I know they get the 3% holdback and there is NO Way that Documentation fees really cost $149.00
    Still waiting on a build date.
    I got the same story about the Tonneau cover
    I could not get 2-tone paint either on a flairside
  • Options
    damianw1damianw1 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about getting a 2000 F150, and noticed that you can get free captains chairs, cd, 255 tires and keyless entry if you order the V6. I was wondering if the V6 would be suitable for just touring around town and some possible light off road hunting trips. I do not really want to pay for the free things sepreately by ordering the V8. Also is it possible to get the 2000's around invoice. Thanks.
  • Options
    dek236dek236 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at a 97' F-150 XLT, Supercab, 4.6 V-8, power windows,locks,am/fm cassette, AC, has tow package with limited slip rear end and sliding rear window. Used truck with 32k miles, they are asking $19,988. I offered $17,500 (after much research). Am I way off base?? Looking from input from those much more knowledgable than I. Thanks in advance,

Reply: dk236@usmo.com
  • Options
    jborgenjborgen Member Posts: 3
    I finally pick up my customized 2000 F-150 Lariat
    S/C SB W/ ORP, Towing Package, Custom exhaust, and
    Custom conversion... and couldn't be happier:)
  • Options
    wylie4wylie4 Member Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a '98 f-150 extended cab, 4.2, auto, air, moonroof, etc. The truck has 24000 miles already, but the drive to work is only a mile. Other than comparing wheel vs. driveshaft revolutions, how do I use the VIN number to tell me what rear axle this truck has. I will be towing my boat with it, and am a little worried.
  • Options
    bakerhyattbakerhyatt Member Posts: 1
    Was about to pay MSRP!! Thanks everybody!!
  • Options
    ron4ron4 Member Posts: 24
    My 99 F150 s/c w/ 5.4l engine, 3.55 l/s r.e. has 14,000 miles. All I can say is it has been a fantastic truck. Hunt, haul wood and a 3000 # camp trailer. Does great.

Strongly reccomend the limited slip r/e as pickups are light in the back end and this helps both off road and on road, i.e. accelerating on a wet onramp.

Milage has been as advertised, 13/16. I would buy the same truck over again
  • Options
    lo49merlo49mer Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to learn more about the integrated side mirror turn signals I've seen on the 99 or 00 Ford F-150 trucks. I believe its a Lariat series option, but could not find any details.

Are such mirrors available as after market parts? Could this mirror be applied to the 2000 E-350 Super Duty Extended van? Would the signal lever need modification?

I think its a helpful aid to drivers who occupy the long vans blind spot and may prevent those glancing collisions when two drivers move for open spaces in heavy traffic.

note, racers only need one light! The brake light!

All replies welcomed,
    Lo
  • Options
    jcraycheejcraychee Member Posts: 23
    sales person told me that you have to put the truck in reverse and drive 5 feet or so to get it out of four wheel drive.. Any 4x4 owners out there - please tell me it is not true!!
  • Options
    sanantonio1sanantonio1 Member Posts: 8
    does anyone know if or how you can place aftermarket head restraints on a ford f150 rear bench seat? Even if some kind of contraption touched the glass in order to fit, it would be better than some kid's head breaking the back glass if rear ended.
  • Options
    barney18barney18 Member Posts: 3
    '98 F150 small v8 ,have had new drive shaft,trans output shaft,trans output shaft housing and a new transmission,the truck has vibration at 55-75 mph the dealer said they do not know the problem Ford said to put in the transmission, may have to go back on the Lemon law the truck has 22500miles but the problem started at about 12000 miles any suggestions thanks.
  • Options
    I just test drove a 99 f250 LD supercab 4x4. Going down the freeway @ 70 the steering wheel started to vibrate. This was a smooth freeway and the truck had 12 miles on it total. I say - what up with this to the sale dude, his response - this a bumpy road. I turned around and went home - without the truck.
  • Options
    abucsabucs Member Posts: 9
    I have noticed that the Y2k F150 window sticker says 15/19, city/hwy with the 5.4L-Autotrans. The same options on the 99 model says 13/17. What did Ford do to improve the milage in this engine by 2 MPG? I noticed a different exhaust manifold design in pictures from the 99 and 00 truck brochures??? PS I also test drove a F150 XLT like the guy above and it had a slight shimmy at about 70 to 75 MPH. The sales guy said that they were so busy at the factory that they had not balanced the tires properly. His attitude was one as if I should give Ford a break for shipping poor quality product given how busy they must be at the factory. Bottom line, he was a bone head salesman making up crap as we drove along. I pointed out the lead weights on the wheels and left with out buying that truck. I'm still gonna get the F150 but not from that dealer. Anyway, whats up with the 2 mpg?
  • Options
    craigbrucraigbru Member Posts: 5
    I used email and www.dealerconnection.com to do my shopping. On email I requested either Fleet Sales price quote or Internet Pricing. Also added that I would NOT deal with the retail sales group. Never went to the dealership until I had the name of a fleet guy.

I originally sent out 6 requests for quotes. 5 dealers responded. Never heard from one dealer. One of those responses came from a retail sales person who I said thank you but no thanks. Out of the 4 fleet sales responses, one was extremely unprofessionally so was tossed. That left 3 dealers two of which quoted $200 over invoice and one that quoted 1% over invoice.

I picked the largest dealer and he went down to $100 over invoice. But now they want to steal my used car tradein! :)

All research was done with Edmunds, KBB, Carpoint, and newsgroups. You can gain a wealth of knowledge from these sources.

Craig ccbbab001 at aol dot com
  • Options
    lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    Maybe different axle ratios??
  • Options
    bradwallybradwally Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about your truck but my 1999 F-150 DOES NOT require you to back up to disengage the hubs when coming out of 4 wheel drive. Rangers are another story altogether.
  • Options
    Just got a 2000 f150 supercab 4x4 with off road package fully loaded with the 5.4 lt. engine and paid staight invoice for it at Mossy ford in San Diego. Normally they want 400 over invoice but this truck had 200 miles on it - finacing went bad on previous deal. This truck kicks [non-permissible content removed] and the sweet thing about the 2000 models is the mileage got bumped up to 14-18 - different rear end ratio 3.55 I guess.
  • Options
    jwhitlingjwhitling Member Posts: 1
    Today I test drove a '99 Lariet 4x4 with 5.4 motor and 3.55 limited slip. The window sticker says 13/16 mpg. Nice truck.

Directly afterward I drove a Y2K Lariet with identical powertrain. Here's where I think they found the add'l mileage ...
    1. Taller diameter tires on the 2000 model lower engine RPMs by 150-200 rpm at 70 mph.

2. A revalved auto trans that seems to shift into OD earlier and more often. A pain IMO.

I think I like the 99 better. It feels properly geared. The Y2K model feels a bit slugish at 58-67 mph.
  • Options
    aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    Hello. I'm a new with trucks. For about $10k, what's the best year and trim F150 w/ 4x2 SC AT can I get? The truck will be used for mostly daily commuting. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    dooley1dooley1 Member Posts: 3
    I read the response about your truck/steering wheel vibrating between 55-75 miles per hour.
    I have a 1999 f150 xlt 4.6v8 extended cab which is doing the same thing. I first started noticing the vibration around 7,000 miles and thought maybe it was just needing a tire rotation. Well, I just got around to rotating them (12,00miles) and the steering vibration is worst. Hope somone out there has had the same thing happen to them and has gotten the problem solved? If so please share. Besides the vibration I have had no other problems and still love driving my truck!
  • Options
    abucsabucs Member Posts: 9
    I sure hope one of you guys can find out if there is a fix for that shimmy above 60 MPH. Or how common it is and if Ford has a fix for it. I'll keep watching the postings here. I may e-mail Ford Engineering to see what they have to say. Maybe one of you can do the same.
    PS Thanks for the insight about the additional 2 mph for Y2k 5.4L.
  • Options
    festiva1993festiva1993 Member Posts: 7
    Hey everyone,

Just saw this group and was looking at some of the posts. I am usually on the Ranger groups, but I got curious.

On the vibration issue:

I would advise all ford truck owners to take their trucks to their dealers and have the alignment and balance checked on their tires. I purchased a 99 Ranger and found both to be off enough to cause vibration (50-65mph) and excessive tire wear. I thought I was the only one, but after talking to 4 people I know who have 99 rangers I found that all 4 had out-of-balance tires and were out of alignment. All problems showed up between 2000 and 12000 miles.
    After it was serviced it rides great. Another trick I used was to mark the location of the wheel weights on the tires with chalk before I took it in. After it was serviced, I could see where the new weights were. Big difference!!

Other than this, I love the truck. Have also been looking at the 2000's and have noticed that the demo models on the Rangers are showing cupping on the sides of the front tires with less than 1000 miles! Ford is aware of the problem because the service rep at my dealer said it was a common problem. Next one I buy will be checked "before" I take delivery.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    Ref Post # 89. If I remember correctly Performance Products has these avaliable as after market, not sure what all you can put them on. Good Luck
  • Options
    russjwrussjw Member Posts: 7
    Hi Guys and Gals...Sunday I bought a new 99 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4. Off-Road model. Tow pkg. 3.73 limited slip rear end. 17in tires. Chrome Wheels. Toreodor (?) red 5.4 litre. Two security systems and a million other things on it! I absolutely love it. I bought it in Riverside, Ca. and paid $27,378 for anyone who is interested. I BElIEVE that is $150 over invoice. AND I made them throw in floor mats and a tank of gas. MSRP was $32050.I hope this helps whoever asked about price. Russ
  • Options
    Hi Guys and Gals...Sunday I bought a new 99 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4. Off-Road model. Tow pkg. 3.73 limited slip rear end. 17in tires. Chrome Wheels. Toreodor (?) red 5.4 litre. Two security systems and a million other things on it! I absolutely love it. I bought it in Riverside, Ca. and paid $27,378 for anyone who is interested. I BElIEVE that is $150 over invoice. AND I made them throw in floor mats and a tank of gas. MSRP was $32050.I hope this helps whoever asked about price. Russ
  • Options
    Sorry I posted this redundantly. I'm already sick of listening to myself! Sorry, again..Russ
This discussion has been closed.