Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    jvaughn1jvaughn1 Member Posts: 1
    we are having the same problem with low fuel indicator.
    ford motor company indicated that we bought some bad fuel.
    ford motor company's solution was to add some fuel additive. this has been done 2 times at a ford family dealership with no improvement.
    it is sad to know that we spent $32,000 for a vehicle that has a non-operational fuel gauge.
    it is a very disconcerting feeling not knowing when we are going to run out of fuel.
    w feel that ford should be held responsible in an expedient manner, but apparently they have no idea what to do about the situation and aren't going to do anything about it. don't think i will ever buy another freestyle and will encourage others not to buy one, especially from don alexander ford in murfreesboro, tennessee. neither ford nor the dealership will do anything about this; i actually don't think they know what to do and aren't interesting in rectifying the problem. the fuel gauge isn't the only problem we've had with this vehicle which is actually the second one we've had because the first vehicle had a major problem.
  • Options
    indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    I believe there is enough info presented by the Information Center to figure out the capacity of the gas tank. If you divide the "Miles to Empty" by the "Average MPG" and add back the "Gal Used" you should get a pretty close figure on the gas tank capacity. Just did that this morning in the garage and it came out to 19.2.

Just a comment on MPG. Took a short trip from central Indiana to Louisville, KY. About a 125 mile trip with about 100 miles of it on a very FLAT I-65 with a posted limit of 70 MPH. I ran a little over that on the way down and averaged 24.8. The RPMs were a little over 2100 on the way down. I slowed down on the way back home to 65 MPH. RPMs were a little over 1700. But I was able to average 28.2 MPG. Highest I ever saw in my AWD Limited. Seems to tell me that the more you can keep the RPMs under 2000 the better your gas mileage will be. Of course you can't do much about that in stop and go driving or on hills. Probably a good explanation of why gas miles goes to crap in those situations.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    "Seems to tell me that the more you can keep the RPMs under 2000 the better your gas mileage will be. Of course you can't do much about that in stop and go driving or on hills. Probably a good explanation of why gas miles goes to crap in those situations. "

Exactly. Too many lead footed users at the stoplights = terrible mileage. Plus the CVT makes people feel that they have to stomp on the gas to get going, when they really don't
  • Options
    tozier4tozier4 Member Posts: 3
    You're absolutely right. There's nothing out there except the Chrysler Pacifica that even comes close to the Freestyle, and it is priced significantly higher. Motor Trend did test them against each other early in '05, and the Freestyle won. I have had no problems with the 6 CD changer, I just wish there was a disc shuffle feature, not just a track shuffle.
  • Options
    volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    Sorry to here about your experiences with this car. I have also bought mine at Don Alexanders in Murfreesboro. So far only problem has been bad radio/6 cd player, which I had to tell them how to program the new one they installed so it would work correctly. Alexanders has a terrible reputation when it comes to their repair department. I'd take yours to Crown Ford in Nashville. They did really good repair work under warrantee on another Ford I owned that Alexanders couldn't ever get right. What was the major problem with your first Freestyle? :confuse:
  • Options
    damonhynesdamonhynes Member Posts: 6
    I've heard that you shouldn't fun Fords below 1/4 tank because the fuel actually cools the fuel pump and below 1/4 this 'lubrication' isn't as consistent.

Doesn't mean that I always followed this rule, to no ill effect. I bought a 3-year-old 91 Tempo off a program lot that had a fuel pump whine from the day I took it off the dealer's lot, and had the same whine 9 years later when I took it to the auto recyclers'.
  • Options
    frieberg44frieberg44 Member Posts: 33
    Wow. After I read the other Edmunds thread (Freestyle "Problems and Soutions"), I am getting the feeling that Ford's best kept secret is the CVT tranny problem. Now I KNOW I want to wait a bit before buying one. It's a shame that the Yanks can NEVER seem to get it right. Maybe they should by the 5 speed tranny from Honda....
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Most of the transmission related problems have had to do with metatronics and not the transmission itself, but not exclusively. Also, the reliability of the FWD is much better in this respect. Far fewer parts and electronics.
  • Options
    passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    "the CVT tranny problem"

What CVT tranny problem? Mines perfectly fine and is one of my favorite features of the car. Keep in mind that the only people who post in a "problems" forum are those having problems. It not a representative sampling of those who have purchased a Freestyle.
  • Options
    northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    Sorry to hear about your fears. At one year, my CVT (my Freestyle for that matter) has been fault-free. I will offer that most of the issues posted about the CVT seem to relate to reprogramming the CVT, which is covered by a Ford TSB.

Since one or two of the posted CVT issues reportedly occurred when the transmission got confused on a slippery road with a lot of control input, it almost sounds like "kernel panic" in a PC. That could be related to the new digital CANBUS network, which handles communications, instead of old dedicated wires. Too much latency? Poor noise immunity if not properly installed? Don't know.

The Freestyle is one of the first high volume uses for CANBUS, as I understand it. CANBUS will spread to other models. The future is digital. This means the new six-speed Ford/GM transmission and others may have similar issues - not just the CVT. In their favor, if the CVT is helping Ford tune the CANBUS, such issues will diminish over time. The problem can't be too widespread, IMHO. There would be a recall.

My only other comment is that if you wait too long, you won't be buying a Freestyle as we know it. There are a number of functional and safety features that may not make it into the next Freestyle "version". :shades:
  • Options
    oldgwtholdgwth Member Posts: 25
    One year, 16,500 miles on SEL AWD and love it. Not sure what the CANBUS system is but did have one very minor problem. Since the pedal is by wire and I guess chip controled I did have a delay, dead pedal, in going from reverse to drive and then quickly back to reverse while backing out of a steep drive, no harm no foul. Other than that it has been a very trouble free enjoyable year with the Freestyle. :)
  • Options
    oldgwtholdgwth Member Posts: 25
    In reading my post of last night I did not explain the whole situation very well. The dead pedal lasted 2-3 seconds at the maximum and at no time was there any danger. It just was strange when after years of driving with hard wire throttle hook up to have a module controlling the engine. The service mgr told me that sometimes going from reverse to drive or drive to reverse very quickly the systems needs to catch up what gear your in to allow an increase of rpm and not damage components. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    We currently have a rear wheel body molding on order as one of ours does not fit properly. The dealer said it will need to be painted, but we'll see about that as I questioned that it should come in its original titanium green....

I have noted though that the current paint on the wheel moldings is very soft and can be scratched very easily.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. Regarding CANBUS, think of it as a dedicated computer network for the Freestyle. :shades:
  • Options
    On NBC tonight, a Ford commercial with the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas music, the "Keep it Simple" narration, and the Freestyle SEL as one of two vehicles highlighted. Prime time advertising for the Freestyle? I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Perhaps a 46% increase in Freestyle sales helps pay for more commercials.

On a related note, a friend at work leased a Freestyle not long ago. He says he will have to buy it at end of lease - putting too many miles on it - having fun driving it. :shades:
  • Options
    damianinpadamianinpa Member Posts: 22
    Based on your figures..this is what I get. Right now I have 13.7 gallons used, 58 M to Empty, 18.6 MPG and have driven 257 miles. So, if I divide the 58/18.6 + 13.7 = 16.8..No where near 19.2.

After a few more miles, the low fuel will probably come on. Does anyone thing I should contact the dealer or is this normal. If anyone can post their figures from the trip computer when their low fuel light comes on that would be great. I am curious as to what the Gallons used says when that comes on.
  • Options
    My fuel light came on, I did some more driving, and still I could only put in 16.3 gal in the tank. I think it's a normal over-over engineering of the gas guage & fuel light. I think they want to ensure that people don't run out of gas, plus maybe it's better to keep a couple of gallons in the fuel tank at all times to keep the fuel pump cool. So maybe it's a good thing. But probably the original engineer had the light come on at 18 gal to give a little over a gal in reserve, then a senior engineer had it changed to 17.5, then the account had it changed to 17.0, then the Ford lawyers moved it to 16.0 gal ;)
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    It's good that Freestyle sales are holding, but the introduction of the new Edge in the fall with its 3.5 and new 6spd transmission will certainly prepare the end of the Freestyle. Ford doesn't plan well. For those interested in reliability issues, our FWD has performed without flaw, even the stereo. I am currently deciding where to take it for the fuel strap service- i have no confidence in my selling dealer.
  • Options
    bongo3bongo3 Member Posts: 8
    I had my ltd in twice because of the seat. The last time they sent it out for a rebuld. It seems ok now but not as smooth as pas. side.
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Most fuel tanks leave about two gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. That gives you roughly 30 miles ti make it to a gas station.

The fuel strap recall doesn't become an issue until over 100,000 miles (based on the life cycle testing) ....no need to rush out there and get it done.
  • Options
    I am certain that Ford intends the Edge to take part of the role of the current Freestyle. Lacking the third row of seats, space of the current unit, and dare I say the smoothness of the CVT, makes the Edge less appealing to me. Speaking of poor planning, if the Freestyle impacted Explorer sales, why wouldn't the smaller Edge compete with the Escape?

Regarding the fuel tank straps, make sure you get the recall notice - not all Freebies are affected. I hope you find a better dealer for service if you are affected. :shades:
  • Options
    mjashmjash Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Ltd. with AWD. We had our first snow the other day, and I had a chance to try the AWD.Well, It didn't work. The front wheels just spun, nothing from the rear. I was wondering if this was normal? Has anyone else had this happen? I had the dealer put it on the computer. They said there wasn't any codes, and would have to test drive it when we get another snow. I Wonder if this is a tranny problem or an electronics problem.
  • Options
    webbcamwebbcam Member Posts: 13
    Is your traction control off? There is definitely wheel slip on ice/snow with it turned off. My 05 SEL AWD is fabulous in the snow. I've never felt safer in a vehicle.
    BTW 4 solid weeks of snow covered and icy roads so far in Spokane and it's still not Winter yet!

I suspect your electronics (but I have no good reason for this opinion).

Good Luck,

webbcam
  • Options
    willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    I just got my recall notice for the strap service yesterday.Think I'll hold back until sometime next month when things get normalized after the busy Holiday Season.
    I also have two minor concerns that I would like to point out to my dealer.
    1.The oil life indicator looks like it's calibrated to go the distance to 3000 miles.I notice it dropping 1% at the rate of 30miles or 50km of the distance travelled.This didn't bother me for my first two oil changes at 1000mi.and the next at another 1500mi.to flush out any wear-in particles.Now I'd like go for 5000mi.OCI with Motorcraft 5w-20 and wonder if this can be re-calibrated.

2. Our LTD AWD was built around mid-April and I'm wondering if we have the latest software loaded in the PCM.No problems encountered with the CVT so is it a case of if it ain't broke don't try to fix it? We are getting a cumulative 18.4 mpg on the U.S.gal since day 1 without resetting the computer with about 85% city/15% hwy and 3000mi. on the odo.as my wife is the principal driver.Obviously it could be much better with more hwy driving and also our winter gas blend is not much help.
    Merry Xmas to all. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. It doesnt matter!I can turn traction control off, and I still get the same wheel spin. Traction control doesnt seem to make a differance.
  • Options
    jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    well this is very abnormal
    today my commute had 7 inches of unplowed snow for several miles heading into Minneapolis--absolutely the best 4WD I have ever had--no slipping, avoided many other vehicle spinouts, enough ground clearance--better than my Jeep--so this needs to be checked out--good luck!
    (I have AWD SE model with 18,000 miles)
  • Options
    Being across town from jschreiber, my Freestyle SEL AWD was very steady this morning and the AWD dealt with our six or so inches of snow very well. It seems when all is working well, the AWD should not misbehave. :shades:
  • Options
    yzassandy82yzassandy82 Member Posts: 16
    I read recently that the Edge will have an available third row seat. If this is the case, the Freestyle is definitely on it's last limbs of wearing a Ford badge. While I will miss seeing the Freestyle around, as I am now an official owner and loving it, it will be great for Mercury to finally have a vehicle that is not a rebadging. While I will admit that the Milan, Montego and Mountaineer are no longer immediately mistaken for Ford badged vehicles, they are still, in essence, the same. Now Mercury can attract customer's who want something more upscale and crisper than the Edge, but can't quite afford the Aviator. In fact, now I kind of wish I waited a year or two to get a Magellan instead. Oh well, I'm still loving my Freestyle (Sprout).
  • Options
    preferbicyclespreferbicycles Member Posts: 33
    You definitely have something not working right. We had 14" of snow last weekend and there was probably about 8" of snow when I had to drive up and down my not-yet-plowed driveway, which is 1/3 of a mile. No problem. While I was out I twice had to wait while BMWs spun their wheels on the plowed but very slippery road. The Freestyle, on the other hand, had no problem at all. You just need to remember that you can accelerate better than you can stop! Even with the full 14 inches I was able to pull up to the top of the driveway (where the plow can't get to) before I did any shovelling.

At this point our Freebie is 9.5 months old and has about 17K miles on it. No significant* problems, no repairs. We did get the recall notice, but there is no hurry given the nature of the problem. As people (including me) have noted in this forum, the gas mileage is excellent as long as you don't have to stop too much. It is pretty bad once you start stopping and starting. It is a car that could really take advantage of a hybrid powerplant.

Anyway, we really like it.

*The 6th position of the CD player skips a little. The driver's seat seat belt tensioner isn't taking up the slack as vigorously as I would like. We have split 3rd row, and there is a black metal support underneath the seats that doesn't always stay in place when you fold the seat down (easy to put back). The little black plastic ring that makes sure you don't lose the gas cap isn't seated correctly anymore, although it looks like I could fix it if I remembered when I wasn't standing at a gas station.
  • Options
    An interesting USA Today article excerpt from December 8, 2005. :shades:

Popularity of crossovers leaves SUVs in dust

By James R. Healey and Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY

Buyers are shifting rapidly from traditional SUVs to more comfortable and more fuel-efficient crossover models.

The Ford Freestyle is the crossover vehicle most traded in for by truck-based Explorer owners.

The transition had been inching along for several years but has turned into a stampede.

Crossovers, adaptations of car or minivan underpinnings, outsold traditional, truck-based SUVs the past three months and should do so routinely and permanently beginning next year, according to data and projections from Ford Motor (F).
  • Options
    jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    glad to hear more and more twin cities owners
    definitely a great car for our climate!
  • Options
    aflanagan9aflanagan9 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my new 06 Freestyle SE. It's my work car, and I took it on a roadtrip straight from the dealer. I was impressed.

Two questions, though:
    1. The radio stays on when I turn the car off. I have to push the knob to turn the radio off. Is this normal, and is there a way to adjust it to turn off with the car?

2. I can't find the third power point. I see the one in the console, and the one in the utility box, but the manual says left side trim for the location of the third, and I'm having no luck finding it at all. Probably right under my nose.

Thank you!

Andy
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Andy,

I can't help you with the power point, I don't have a Freestyle. But Ford vehicles allow the radio to stay on until you open a door or after a timer suts it down. Try it. Shut off the motor and open any door. The radio should turn off. Enjoy your Freebie.
  • Options
    preferbicyclespreferbicycles Member Posts: 33
    The previous respondent is correct--the radio keeps going until you open the door. (I think either of the front doors)

The third power point is on the left side in the rear cargo area.
  • Options
    nancyehnancyeh Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 FS has logged 20,800 miles in 8 months of use. Love the car; hate that snowtires do not exist for it. Mine is a FWD - one of many in my 35+ years of driving - which I bought to replace a 2004 Toyota Matrix (bought new, traded at 47,000 miles because it was a bit small for comfort). I find the car to be slippery in even a small bit of snow or at the ends of roads/driveways.

Since I live in northern Maine, I never would have bought a car that did not have correctly-sized snowtires easily available had I known about the problem. My local garage - NOT the dealership, unfortunately - has found what they think will be a good replacement, though. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    tourist1234tourist1234 Member Posts: 30
    I like the fact that the radio stays on until the door is opened. Sometimes there is a newscast or report on the radio I want to sit and listen to before I get out of the car. This set up allow me to turn off the ignition and remove the key and put in my pocket.
  • Options
    In your post, do you mean you find the Freestyle or Matrix to be slippery in the snow?
  • Options
    freestylegalfreestylegal Member Posts: 70
    Well, you found the hard one--inside the console. I find that to be a fairly useless place for me because I keep my CDs in there. The third powerpoint is hiding out waaaay in the back. Open the rear hatch, look to the left (like you're looking at the bottom of the window on the left side of car) and you will see it on that little "shelf." Good luck!
  • Options
    freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    Just went through the chicago winter storm (6in unplowed sidestreets plus) with our freestyle and standard issue tires and found no problems, albeit our FS FWD has 6k vs. your 21k and I suspect that our tires being much newer play a big role in that fact as would any car AWD, FWD, or whatever with old tires vs. new so I think a knock on the FS is a bit inaccurate. As for replacement tires for your FS I shop ONLY at Tirerack.com for tires, their site is informative, complete, has independent reviews and their experience is SECOND TO NONE in the industry. You can call their service number and talk to the most knowledgeable service people for thoughtful and complete advice as to the best solution for your FS needs or any other car you own for that matter. I shop there exclusively and have been a loyal customer for 15yrs+. Their prices are more than fair and getting them shipped to you to take in to get mounted should not be a problem or I believe they can ship right to an installer they recommend in your local area if you do not want that hassle(save tax money as well having them shipped). If you review their site and go to a 225/65/17 or a 225/60/17 you will find other tire selections that might be more suitable as well(REVIEW THESE SIZES ON YOUR OWN PRIOR TO PURCHASE WITH A PROFESSIONAL, THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS ON MY PART AND IN NO WAY DO I DO THIS FOR A LIVING, I WILL BE DOING THE SAME THING MYSELF COME TIRE PURCHASE TIME IN SPRING WHEN I UPSIZE TO THE 18" RIMS I BOUGHT). While I can more than agree that the selection of tires out there is abysmal for the 17" rim with a little effort it seems there are much better solutions to the OEM tire that is mediocre at best... my 3cents because it seemed to run a bit longer than the traditional 2cents
  • Options
    reppepreppep Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 SE with 3100 miles. Today, both ABS & traction control lights came on at the same time. Just driving and noticed them. Anybody else have this problem? Called the dealer and he said they have to put it on the computer. Didn't want to hear that with a new car. Bought it for the snow. Live in Buffalo and we're supposed to get about a foot over the weekend. Don't need this.
  • Options
    Does anyone know exactly how the Traction Control is supposed to work? Does the engine RPM reduce as traction is needed. Ours does not and are wondering if this is linked to the AWD problems. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to browse the 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion while waiting for responses in here. A search for traction control in there will turn up a lot of hits.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    The AWD basically transfers power from front to back, while the traction control transfers powere from side to side. As required, of course.
  • Options
    Just to add, traction control moves traction to the drive wheel with the most traction (based on drive wheel slippage).

Some traction control only works at low speeds. It assumes that you just need help with an occasional patch of ice at a street corner.

Some traction control is all speed. It can be as simple as differential braking, or as complex as braking combined with engine advance /rpm change.

Traction control has no effect on braking. In all cases, it uses the same wheel sensors/electronics as your ABS braking. The previous post about the ABS and traction control lights coming on at the same time is not surprising. My two cents. :shades:
  • Options
    reppepreppep Member Posts: 8
    Took my car in to the dealer this morning. Just called and said it is a defective speed sensor on the left rear wheel. They have to order it and said it is OK to drive. Hope they're right!
  • Options
    bigred10bigred10 Member Posts: 2
    I do not have the DVD system in my Freestyle, but I do have the 6 disc changer with an Aux Audio Input button. When I press it, it just says "No Aux Audio". Has anyone in my situation ever had a audio jack installed in order to plug in an IPOD or similar device? It seems like it would work but I would hate for some hoo-ha at Best Buy or Circuit City try to do this and mar up my dash. If you know, lemme know! :)
  • Options
    In addition to the PIE adapter (see the message above), for playing an Ipod you simply cannot beat this:

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

I had this installed, along with an XM Satellite radio (the Terk XM Commander, installed up where the sunglasses can be stored).

I had the joystick knob of the Drive+Play installed to the left of the volume knob, and the display hangs behind the rear-view mirror, off the plastic part that holds the dimming electronics.

I had all this installed at CarToys, BTW. Total cost (with installation) will run about $800.
  • Options
    maxdrawmaxdraw Member Posts: 21
    Wow! This sounds pretty cool! Do you have any pictures of the installation? :)
  • Options
    No pictures during the install (or behind the radio after the install).

But here's a series that shows all the pertinet areas after the install. Note: we did the install to avoid any cutting or drilling of holes. You could make it a bit cleaner with just a hole or two.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/barnstormer64/xmipodinstall.jpg