Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    Here are some details that might help you judge the Freestyle.

* Engine - Freestyle FWD - 3.0 L / 203HP / V6 / 24 Valves
    Suburban(2003 RWD) - 5.3L / 285 HP / V8/16 valves
    * Weight - Freestyle - 4100 lbs / Suburban - 5300 lbs
    * EPA Mileage - Freestyle FWD - 20/27 MPG
    - Suburban RWD - 14/18 MPG
    * Acceleration - Freestyle - 0-60 8.2 secs.
    - Suburban - 0-60 10.0 secs.

In addition, the Freestyle has 5 star front and side crash ratings. Though the CVT transmission will not feel like your Suburban's transmission, it is no slouch. Finally, the Volvo chassis under the Freestyle gives you very solid handling.

For what it's worth. :shades:
  • Options
    vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    You can contact Susan at Auto Images in Roseville, Minnesota @ 612-716-1955. You will need the Ford Factory color number (from the tag inside the drivers door) or verify with your dealer. Make sure you get the color number for the body color, not the lower cladding. Sue orders the moldings from Dawn's (dawn-ent.com), they take a few weeks to come. Sue will call when they are in and make arrangements to install them either at your house or their shop in Roseville. Sue also installed the 3M Clear "Bra" on the front of my Freestyle.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I saw last night where the Freestyle has the highest rating from the insurance institute for seat and head restraint protection in rear end collisions. Another safety kudo for Ford. Only 5 of the 44 suvs and trucks tested got that rating.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The safest place in any car is the middle of the second row because the middle is safer for either side impacts. I can easily connect the car seat in the middle using the latches available.
  • Options
    bobs6bobs6 Member Posts: 1
    I researched the Ford 500 & Freestyle extensively before buying my 2005 Freestyle AWD SEL. The first fact that I would like to share is that the 3.0 motor has been used and refined from the first time I bought it in my 1986 Tauras and 1988 Aerostar van. With that said both of these vehicles weighed MORE than the current Ford 500 & Freestyle and nobody called them underpowered....in fact my freestyle accelerates very well, with passengers, in the hilly (and snowy) area where I live 40 miles south of Buffalo NY. The second fact is that the mileage of 19 city and 24 highway is accurate. I get 25mpg on my 10 mile commute to work (driving very conservatively) The worst highway mileage I had was 20.8 doing 75MPH into a strong wind through Canada this winter, with a load! :)
  • Options
    stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Do you know who the other 4 are? And is this rating for all seats? or front only.
  • Options
    heddenhedden Member Posts: 28
    I would tend to agree with you, but I believe the manual does not recommend the center of the 2nd row bench for a child seat. Why this is, I don't know.
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "The first fact that I would like to share is that the 3.0 motor has been used and refined from the first time I bought it in my 1986 Tauras and 1988 Aerostar van."

Your confusing the old Vulcan 3.0L, with the Duratec 3.0L, 2 totally different engines.

Yes, the old Vulcan 3.0L was/is an OHV design, and used currently in the Ranger (as the midgrade engine) and Taurus (as the base engine). It was used in other vehicles as the Aerostar as well.

But the 3.0L which is found in the 500/FS/Mtg. is the Duratec which first debuted in the 1995/96 Taurus that went ovoid in styling as an optional engine upgrade, to the Vulcan 3.0L OHV V6. The Duratec 3.0L is a DOHC V6, with different power ratings depending on the application.

It's been used in the Escape/Mariner/Tribute, Lincoln LS6, Jaguar S-type,X-type, Mazda6, MPV, etc.

Now that the new Duratec35 debuted, it'll replace the Duratec 3.0L in many different vehicles, but will still be kept around on some others.
  • Options
    jnlmomjnlmom Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone, my husband and I are from california, and we just bought our freestyle in September. I came across this site, curious to find out how many freestyles were made ever I guess, when did they start making them? We haven't seen any around here where we live.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a blurb and a link about the whiplash results; sounds like Acuras didn't fare too well:

wmquan, "Acura MDX" #6233, 9 Jan 2006 7:32 am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Got it, thanks. I'll post some pics after the molding has been installed.
  • Options
    stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Thanks. I expected the Volvo to be there but it is interesting that the Pilot is but the MDX isn't. What is more interesting is how the MDX owners shrug off the tests as more or less meaningless.
  • Options
    This was found on the Ford web site, Check it out. :shades:

http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend/20060105-114918-8134r.htm
  • Options
    According to a Ford press release, by the end of Nov. 05, they sold ~76,000 Freestyles in 2004 and 2005. There was a 46% increase in Freestyle sales in November of 2005 as compared to 2004. They were first made in July of 2004, but didn't really begin to trickle into the showrooms until ~September/October of that year. :shades:
  • Options
    More news & pics in from the auto show (there's tons of auto show news this week!). Let me know if the Edge links are getting on your nerves. :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Here is a link to pictures and info on the Edge, FYI. It is different from the Freestyle, isn't it?

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=22275
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Very much so, there is another topic here on Edmunds discussing it Titled 2007 Ford Edge.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: 2007 Ford Edge

Also see Ford Edge

tidester, host
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    In case it was not specifically stated in the article above, the test was for the driver's seat and by assumption, the front passenger's seat. No mention of rear seats.
  • Options
    xnappoxnappo Member Posts: 47
    I honestly don't see what the Edge has to do with the Freestyle. Any vehicle without three row seating is in a different class IMHO. The Edge is a nice Murrano competitor.

xnappo
  • Options
    Exactly. The Edge is the crossover Fusion in the same way that the Freestyle is the crossover 500.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38537/Act/Roadt- est/

The Lexus RX-330 does 0-60 in 8.9 seconds

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38121/Act/Roadt- est/

Freesyle is 8.7 seconds

Hmmm, did the car magazines rant on and on about the RX330 being underpowered?

Can you say bias? Sure ya can. :P
  • Options
    As we recall, the Freestyle platform was/is to move to Mercury as the Magellan, and the Edge or something like it would become the new crossover for Ford. That is what the Freestyle has to do with the Edge. There was a surge in Freestyle sales in Fall, 2005, and Ford is not talking, so things may change. We shall see. :shades:
  • Options
    renewrenew Member Posts: 5
    I contacted Dawn's and they informed me that the side moldings were not in production and they would e-mail me when they were. Are they supplying only commercial installers? They do look good. My Freestyle just arrived at the dealers and I hope to get a set as soon as possible.
  • Options
    vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    They gave me that same answer back in Sept 2005. If you check my recent posts, you will find a phone number of an Auto Trim supplier in Minnesota who can order them for you from Dawn's. Or ask Dawn's for a recommended Auto Trim
    supplier in your area that could measure and order them for you. Obviously, they make them because I have them. Best luck.
  • Options
    willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    The Edge is no doubt a cool looking design but to me, I'll stick to our Freestyle for its extra space and functionality.
    I do get a big kick out of designer Peter Horbury's comment...
    "When you sit in this vehicle and look up and see the sky all around you, you just want to take it out for a drive and chase the horizon," says Horbury."
    The huge glass panoramic vista roof is a great optional feature for me to lookout for flying seagulls on the flight path overhead to/from the local landfill.
    BTW GM is now talking about their new marketing strategy to REDUCE MSRPs substantially to stay competitive, so is Ford going to follow? Long overdue for them to come to their senses.
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the information! Is that alot for the whole united states? Is that sold or produced? I would like to think that I got in on something special!
  • Options
    Hey I was wondering if anybody recieved their notices from Ford for the recall of the gas tank straps. Has anybody taken theirs in for repair? How long does it take? What are they replacing them with?
  • Options
    Agreed!!! I chose the Freestyle more than a year ago for its style, functionality, and space. I don't think I would have chosen the Edge, based on the same set of criteria. They will probably sell more Edges than Freestyles in the end based on the current CUV fashion, but I know which one speaks to me. :shades:
  • Options
    I would say that is not a lot for the United States. At 76,000 or so in a year and a quarter, it is only ahead of the Land Rover sales by 8 - 10,000. But, that is good company. The numbers were based on sales, not production. So you/we may have a rare gem - a garnet in the rough. :shades:
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I have had it done. Took about one hour and the straps look like the old ones only stronger or more durable, one would assume.
  • Options
    merv692merv692 Member Posts: 4
    Hello I have a 06 Freestyle Limited with the Rear DVD player. My question is, will the player play DVD + R dvd's. The reason is I record these with my dvd recorder in my house, put them in the car and the screen says bad disc error. I have tried multiple disc, and the disc play on my dvd player in the house. I have read the book and the book says it will play DVD'rs. I know there is a difference between DVD + and DVD -. Just wondering if anyone has this problem or should the dvd's work in this unit. And yes this is the factory unit.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Just wondering if it's better to have a ceiling mounted DVD or buy a couple of individual ones that hang from the seatbacks. Can anyone tell me what the glare is like on the ceiling mounted DVD screen. I've never had one and while at night I'm sure they're easy to see, during the day it seems like the glare might make it difficult to watch. I was thinking that the aftermarket types that hang on the seatbacks might provide a better view. Plus they'd be easier on the 2nd row passenger's necks, so they don't have to stare up so high.

Any opinions?
  • Options
    blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    I use DVD-R programs and have no problems .
  • Options
    bob17bob17 Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody make a grille guard for the Freestyle?
  • Options
    The overhead mount DVD may block your rear view mirror somewhat. :shades:
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I haven't tried a DVD+R yet. But I do have some, and will try sometime soon. Hopefully this weekend.
  • Options
    I use DVD+R on it all the time without issue. I am using a no-name DVD+R burner on my PC with Nero and Verbatim media.

xnappo
  • Options
    figueroafamilyfigueroafamily Member Posts: 223
    The Edge videos remind me so much of the Pacifica, it's not even funny. :D
    The glass roof looks taken from the prototype Aviator I saw in the 2004 NY Auto show.
    The front grille makes it look like a Fusion on stilts.

Sorry, I'm biased against the Pacifica. It was a nightmare to drive. :cry:

Freebies are far more neat looking than that. :blush:

Sam ;)
  • Options
    merv692merv692 Member Posts: 4
    It definetely does block your rear view vision. As far as the glare from daytime it can be swung up or down to elimanate glare.
  • Options
    mfkoerschnermfkoerschner Member Posts: 6
    I can't help but be optimistic that Freestyle production will continue - as is, with the CVT. The new EPA Fuel Efficiency Sticker (going into effect model year 2008) will highlight the CVT-achieved Nos. IMO, the Auto makers are probably scrambling to see how each model does against others in class using the new tests.

I think there's always uncertainty when EPA is considering changes. Generally, it's not politically popular to change anything. I sincerely believe the new methods/stickers are long overdue.

The CVT was a big part of my decision to buy a Freestyle (2005 SEL FWD). We live in a mountainous area where hybrids cannot achieve their EPA-stated MPGs (I've driven a Prius extensively in the area; my '95 Honda Civic does just as well, mpg-wise. In the mountains it's power:weight that matters - the CVT helps.)

The DOE has a new website where they're developing a list of real-world MPGs [www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg]. So far, Freestyle is looking good.
  • Options
    damianinpadamianinpa Member Posts: 22
    I think the 'Edge' that Ford is working on is a totally different vehicle. Many peopel are comparig it to Freestyle, but, tt only seats 5 and reminds me more of a Midsize SUV. I hope the Freestyle continues in either the Ford/Mercury line in 2007. My lease is up in 11/07 and I will be more than happy to get another one. Getting decent gas milage and I like having 3 rows of seats.
  • Options
    "I think the 'Edge' that Ford is working on is a totally different vehicle. Many peopel are comparig it to Freestyle"

Exactly. Comparing the Edge to the Freestyle is like comparing the Escape to the Explorer...two different vehicles.
  • Options
    heddenhedden Member Posts: 28
    I got a cheap-o headrest-mounted DVD player for $150. Works great. Saved me some cash and allows me to use two if needed (e.g. two kids can watch two different shows or the front passanger can hold one to watch on a long trip), or to fix/replace it cheaply if something goes wrong.

Of course, I have to hide it when parking to avoid tempting someone to break into the vehicle to nab it.
  • Options
    People on this post are (in general) not favorably comparing the Freestyle to the Edge. They see the differences between the two and wonder how Ford can think they can offer the Edge in place of the Freestyle and stop selling the Freestyle as one scenario would have it. You made some excellent points as to why they are different. :shades:
  • Options
    "Metro Detroiters find what they need in crossover vehicles, an increasingly popular choice for families."

Space, sass and security (Detroit Free Press)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    You mean Freebies beat Edges. I agree. Your first sentence sounded as the opposite.

Viva Freebies!

Sam ;)
  • Options
    I wondered if Edmunds plans to do a Crossover competition as they do with trucks and minivans.
    * The zero-60 test is obviously the first standard.
    * I would recommend the "packed to the gills" family trip test.

My take: Freebies' criticism ("under"-powered, etc.) will be vindicated when tested within its own group. Freebie would outperform everybody by handling 7 people plus cargo in a zero-60. Most others would carry 5, and everybody's clocking in the 9 sec range.

Sam ;)
  • Options
    I would guess one is in the pipeline - it's been a while since one was done here (2002 Luxury Crossover Comparison & 2003 Midsize Crossover SUVs Comparison Test).

Three other comparison tests were posted in December and the auto shows are in full swing, so my guess is that editorial is pretty swamped right not.

But it wouldn't hurt to put a request in - there's a Contact us form in the Help link.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve,
    Any idea if a 'long term' Freestyle review is in the works?

xnappo