Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The source of your problem is not the clutch but the transmission. A weak syncronizer is normally to blame when a shifter pops out of a certain gear. This is not a common problem on this car, but you aren't the first I've heard of either. Is there anyway you can get the shifter to pop out of gear on command? If so, demand they go on a ride with you and show them what it does. There will be no denying at that point that the tranny will need to be replaced under warranty. Unlike the clutch, the internal tranny parts are completely covered by the powertrain warranty. Good luck!
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds like you might need a mass air flow sensor. This will commonly cause a loss of power in the lower rpm range.
  • Options
    tracydtracyd Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice on the dash light. After taking the gas cap off, the light did indeed go out. A week or so later...it happened again. So far I haven't had any other problems with the car. Took it to upstate NY (6 hours or 392 miles each way) and had not one problem. I really shouldnt have worried being its an 05 and had only 172 miles when i got it on April 7th but after reading all these posts...I am a little nervous that I bought junk!

• Options
    toadzunttoadzunt Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 V6 manual Tiburon (yes, not the smartest purchase) has been stalling at start during cold and damp weather for over a year now. I've taken it to the dealer several times (still under warranty 45K miles). At the first two dealer visits, I was informed nothing was wrong with it. One of those visits included some overpriced maintenance which supposedly included some fuel line flushing. The third and most recent time I took it in, they said there was an air sensor problem and they supposedly fixed that… too bad it didn’t fix the problem. Now it’s getting uglier.

The scenario goes something like this:
    If the temp outside is <70, starter works fine, RPM shoots up to 2500+ then instantly plummets to 0.
    This occurs indefinitely unless I lay on the gas and hold it at 2000 RPMs for at least 20 seconds (eek fuel injectors).
    Then the car will continue to run but it idles very loudly and shudders almost constantly.
    The RPM doesn&#146;t jump around very much during these shudders but occasionally it revs itself up to 1500 at idle for 30 seconds or so.
    My gas mileage used to be 27-29 highway, 25 city and now it&#146;s closer to 20 highway, 12-14 city
    I&#146;ve tried higher octane gas and fuel injector cleaners to no avail.

I feel like I need to lead these dealer mechanics by their collective hands but I have no idea how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

4 Recalls
    Frozen motors on sunroof and both windows
    Broken windshield washer fluid pump
    Leaky door seals

The warranty isn&#146;t worth it
  • Options
    srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    My 2003 GTV6 Automatic stalls immediately when started from cold in the morning...........sometimes . When I restart it I must keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it from stalling again. After about 10 seconds of this it runs fine for the rest of the day. This can happen 2 or 3 days a week and then not happen again for a week. I don't want to go to the trouble of making an appointment with the dealer for a problem I can't pinpoint. Did anybody have a similar problem or know of a Hyundai service bulletin regarding this? Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    mekong84mekong84 Member Posts: 3
    i'm thinking about buying an '05 tiburon se...i was all but convinced until reading this board. i'm a little uneasy about the amount of problems some of you have reported in the '03 models. is this something that hyundai fixed in the '05? i currently drive an '02 rsx type-s and i love the thing, but i'm trying to go a little newer. a new type-s is about 4 grand more expensive, and about one tenth of a second slower in 0-60 acceleration time. i love my acura, but is a new tib going to be worth it? 20 grand for a hyundai...just by being a hyundai i'm losing money in resale value. my 4 year old acura has almost 70k miles on it and it's only depreciated about 9 grand so i guess my ultimate question would be does anyone here have any opinion as to whether or not the tib is a good investment? i might be modding out the car, but not for a while. i don't want to HAVE to change out the clutch to get good performance. the car also already has 1100 miles on it so if i'm reading correctly the warranty on the clutch is just about up...i don't want to worry about it going out on me at 2200 miles. i drive hard, i race every now and then (nothing big, just around town, stop light to stop light). is this going to be TOO hard on the tranny in a tib? it's ok in the acura but i don't know about the tib. i guess any help here would be appreciated. i'm looking to buy in the next few days and i'm so confused as to which car to buy!! :confuse:
    thanks in advance to all who can offer any kind of help :)
  • Options
    The RSX Type-S is faster by about a half second to 60 mph compared to the Tib. The Tib's clutch is covered under warranty until 12,000 miles, not 2000. I personally would not buy a new car with 1100 miles unless you were getting a steal of a deal. There is a much higher chance the engine and clutch were abused by test drives. The Tib is a good car overall but the clutch is only ok in quality. I honestly would not recommend getting this car if you plan on driving it real hard and racing it a lot unless you are willing to upgrade the clutch. Some 6 speed trannies have also been problematic. That being said, it seems the 03 models were the worst in these regards although some problems were noted on 04s too. The Tib's resale will be less then your RSX by quite a bit, but it offsets this by costing much less new. Also, resale has been relatively high for the Tibs compared to other Hyundais.
  • Options
    hey thanks for the quick response. i looked around and found some relatively cheap clutch kits for the 05 tiburon. you are right in saying that the car costs much less brand new. i mean i know that stock, right out of the box, the rsx would probably beat the tib in just about all the races, but if i'm going to invest money to upgrade engines and thow on turbo's is it really going to make a difference which car i buy? for some reason i just keep going back to look at the tib, lol. it just.....looks so good! i may just have become bored with the look of the rsx. to me i know i like the look of a tib more than the acura, i just don't know if i'll be satisfied with the purchase afterwards. i do feel a little more comfortable in knowing that so far the 2005 models haven't shown significant faults like the 2003's have. as for the resale value, not many cars hold up like an acura so i was expecting that, it's nice to know that a tiburon will hold value a bit more than a santa fe :P . does anyone here know if there are any other parts that may NEED to be upgraded before safely driving a tib hard? i've looked around a bit for short shift kits and things like that and i'm having a tough time comming up with anything...though that may be an entirely new disscussion all on it's own. and does anyone here own a 2005? if so what's your opinion of the car so far? thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    jackson33jackson33 Member Posts: 14
    To give you an idea about how the Tib's are liked, my finance manager bought an 05 Tib SE. He loves it and drives it extremely hard. He bought it recently and if it has any problems, I will let everyone know. Because I work for Hyundai I do have first hand experience that the Tib's are good cars and lot's of fun. Are they the best or fastest cars around? No. The reason I replied to this post is because I do believe that the Tiburon is a worthy car and great for the amount of money you would pay for it.

To those that are looking for cars that are investments, there arn't many. In fact, it is a stupid idea in the first place. Cars are money pits. The reason you look for a car is to find one that you visually love and like the performance as well. If you like the Tib..GREAT! If you don't, find one that suits you. Nobody or no salesperson should be able to talk you into a car that you don't want. Stick to your guns and choose wisely.

Are there faster cars on the market? Absolutely. The one thing I can say is this. The Tib has a great warranty and also is a solidly built car. The safety is good and the gas mileage is decent. Go drive one and see if it works for you. If it does or dosen't, at least you know for sure.

Ever car has some issues, it's up to you to be happy. If car buying was an exact science, Edmunds wouldn't have much to write about. Also, go and price the cars...last I heard a new Suburu WRX STi was goin for about35K to 38K. An 05 Tib SE is roughly 21K to 24K depending on options. Is having a turbo worth that much more?
  • Options
    a turbo isn't worth 10 grand. and while all cars are going to cost you money as opposed to make you money, some cars will cost you less. the tib is very reasonably priced when looking at the competition. there are faster and better cars on the road, but if i'm going to spend several thousand on aftermarket parts i do believe i'll be able to get the tib right where i want it to be. as for the warranty....it is a huge selling point for hyundai. my only reservation would be that i'd rather not need to use my warranty than have a wonderful warranty that i actually have to use.
    and maybe i'm a little crazy but does anyone think that 19500 is a bad price for an 05 tib se with 1200 miles on it already? i mean in 3 months the 06's will be out. the dealer is being really hard to work with here and from what i can gather, the particular car i'm looking at shouldn't be more than 20k. i dunno, it's just that as stated above, you know that the car was driven hard and improperly broken in. i've been pretty consistant with the price i'm willing to pay for the car and they've been pretty stiff on what they want. if i'm being unreasonable i can re-think some things but anyone have any input?
  • Options
    mtice1979mtice1979 Member Posts: 22
    Actually 19500 is a decent price for a '05 Tib SE, as long as it is a demo. Also realize that these cars need a decent time to break in just to maximize gas mileage. And not to mention that the '05 Tib just came on the market a few months ago. So don't worry about the '06 for atleast another 7 months or so.

The WRX STI is a great machine but not worthy of a $30+ price tag. It doesn't even give you a stereo as a standard feature. What a rip-off! The Tib gives you a lotta fun plus an aftermarket supply of endless modifications. Go with the wise bet, not to mention, the warranty. :)
  • Options
    mikeyb72mikeyb72 Member Posts: 3
    hey there ... I own a 2005 Tib GT 5-speed . I have had it for a couple of months and have put some miles on it. And I can say that Im still glad I bought it. I love driving it ! I got the car with only 40 miles on it, and after 5000 miles i can say that it actually drives better. As far as upgrades, I havent start any yet. I thinking of upgrading the suspension abit and a CAI.
    SO I love my car! Good luck in your purchase.
  • Options
    afiguyafiguy Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone; I am about to be buying a 2005 Tib SE this weekend, but before I do I wanted to double check and see if anyone knows how the SE's handle in snow? I read most of this board and could not find anything too helpful in that area. This is a very important question for me because I live in a suburb of Denver, and will obviously be driving it in rough conditions. I also am not sure if whether the Tib could be equiped with radial tires or not? I imagine so, but I just want to double check. I also have to say thank you for all the knowledgable people on here, posting/answering questions, this board alone has been a huge help in my decision!
  • Options
    danpanicdanpanic Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new Tib 2004 Tiburon in November. Since then I&#146;ve put about 9000 miles on it. Just yesterday after a short trip up to my local 7-11 I noticed a massive transmission fluid leak. I had my car towed to the dealer where and it now needs an entire new transmission, that is after only 6 months of commuting 20 miles to and from work. With that said Hyundai has been very easy to deal with. They gave me a rental car, charged nothing for the tow, and all repairs are covered under my warranty. Dealing with the service center has been as positive experience as your transmission going out at 6 months can be. I loved my Tib untill this happened has anyone ever heard of this happening to the Transmission so earily in the life of the car?
  • Options
    danpanicdanpanic Member Posts: 2
    It was also an Automatic, as I know many of the manual clutches have had problems.
  • Options
    You will need to get snow tires for sure. You might want to get smaller 16" wheels to go with the snow tires as well since smaller wheels handle snow lots better then larger ones. I was gonna suggest you get the traction control, but it looks like thats been removed as an option (it used to come bundled with ABS). With snow tires, you should be able to get around just as easily as any other front drive car with snows.
  • Options
    afiguyafiguy Member Posts: 3
    Thanx so much Ing, that is good to hear. A friend of mine has an '01 Prelude SH and he does pretty well with his snow tires. Thats too bad Hyundai discontinued there Traction Control, I would of def. gotten that also. take care.
  • Options
    nikster24nikster24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tiburon and the locks are not working properly. It started a week ago where the locks would unlock but they would relock right away. Now the passenger side won't unlock at all. I cannot even manually unlock the door so my boyfriend has to pretend he is a duke of hazzard. Anyways my warranty is up because of my mileage so I would have to pay out of pocket but I am wondering if this is a common problem with Tiburons because my dad bought a 2004 Tiburon and he has a problem with the passenger side lock and window.....
  • Options
    hutch10hutch10 Member Posts: 5
    I went yesterday (the 21st of may) to look at getting a Tiburon, was a little unsure wether i would fit (6'4"), but got a great price on an 05 GT V6 5 speed (16,900). I have been reading all the messages left and have not seen many on the 05 Tib. Has anyone had any major problems with the car or have the bugs finally been worked out, any info would be great thanks. Bye the way the prices in Arizona right now are great, can't seem to find a reason why but they seem to be a great deal. :shades:
  • Options
    smokingunsmokingun Member Posts: 2
    I am also a victim of the 2003 V6 Tiburon clutch problem and I need some advise. My car has 33,000 miles on it and my clutch is gone. I've had the dealer check the clutch on 2 seperate occasions before this and have one of them in writing. The clutch always felt funny to me but the dealer always said "it's fine" when I had them look at it in the past. The dealer tells me to fix this, it will cost me $400 to take the car apart and diagnose the issue, another $1050 for the clutch replacement if needed and another $950 for the flywheel replacement if needed. None of this is under warranty as the clutch is only guaranteed until 12,000 miles. I have 100 percent service for my car at the dealer up until this point.

Discount auto parts sells a clutch and flywheel kit for something around $300. I know a certified mechanic that can put it in for ~$300. I'm scared this will void my warranty and the clutch part will just go bad again as it will not be the one they recommend in the TSB.

I tried calling Hyundai consumer affairs and they don't seem willing to help. They tell me to talk to my dealers service dept.

What can I do? I don't want to pay $2,000+ for a clutch replacement. I have to do something soon as I can't even drive my car anymore... I've had so many problems with this car. I had to have it towed 2 times before this due to the alarm unprogramming itself on the car while enabled; disallowing me to start it. I've also had to have the locks fixed 2 times. This is the third time may car has been disabled and undriveable. The lemon law requires the car to have the same problem 3 times making it undriveable right? Please help!

:mad:
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    You have choices to make:

1) Contact your regional Hyundai Rep and pleade your case to him. Make sure you tell him you've had all service done by the dealer since new.

2) Call the Hyundai customer service 1-800 # and tell them your case. Cant hurt.

3) I wouldnt go with the dealer on clutch replacement only because they are charging way too much. If you use an outside service to replace your clutch it should not affect the warranty on the rest of the car. The dealer would have to prove that the clutch replacement affected something else in order to void your warranty.

4) If it were my car I would not go with the stock clutch. I would find a heavier performance clutch (Centerforce,etc) to install.
  • Options
    smokingunsmokingun Member Posts: 2
    I looked up centerforce and found a place in orlando (where I live) that sells and installs them. I'm waiting for a call back from him for a quote. I looked up what I need and it can be seen at this link. The dealer mentioned it is a "Dual Friction" which may be very expensive. It's the only one they have listed for the 6 speed v6 tiburon though.

Here's the link. I haven't looked up the flywheel yet. Tell me what you think

link title
  • Options
    oldmikeoldmike Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,
    I just purchased an 01 Silver Tiburon with a light front hit to rebuild. I've located some parts, but need more. Looking for a right side headlight and front bumper. Any one have any for sale?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    goose1goose1 Member Posts: 1
    I got a problem ive been looking all around and i cant seem to find a turbo kit or superchargher or twin turbo for my tiburon v6 04 almost all kits are for the 4cyl modles so can any one let me know where i might be able to find some good parts for my car
  • Options
    I just bought an 05 Tib and was talking to the dealer and they said that Hyundai now offers a supercharger for the GT V6, check with the parts guys and ask them. When I looked it up it was about 2,900 and change. Good Luck
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Call your dealer. Hyundai has a performance parts division called H.A.R.D. parts. It is similar to the TRD program with Toyota. They do offer a supercharger for the 2.7l. It can be ordered and installed at your dealership.
  • Options
    tomstibtomstib Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tiburon GT V6 auto that I bought in October 04. It has 4000 miles on it and I noticed yesterday two things that recently happened and I was curious if anyone else has experienced this and how it was resolved.

1) On the right side of the spoiler, some of the protective rubber layer has moved out from between the hatch and the spoiler and is exposed.

2) When I opened the hatch, I noticed that where the two anchors are, where strings run downward to the compartment cover, that the plastic molding is developing cracks around each anchor.

Has anyone experienced this, and what's caused it, and how was it fixed? Does the Hyundai warranty cover it?

Also, has anyone used a car buffer on the Tiburon with the black clear coat finish? Opinions on the results?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I have heard of the weatherstripping under the spoiler becoming displaced on a few Tibs and on other cars. It is fixable under warranty and they simply have to remove the spoiler and reattach the weatherstripping or replace the weatherstripping if it's pinched.

I haven't heard about any cracks on the cargo cover anchors, but I suppose if the cracks are bad enough, they can be replaced under warranty too.
  • Options
    I went to my dealer today and asked about any H.A.R.D. info and they could not tell me anything, but they did tell me that hyundai is coming out with a new intake and cat-back for the Tib. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 to 30 hp combined. If anyone has any info on the above it would be great thanks.
  • Options
    I'd be careful attempting any serious engine upgrades on the Tib's V6, particularly turbocharging. The reason you can only seem to find kits for the 4 banger is because it was discovered the internals of the V6's block couldn't handle much pressure before disintegrating. Once you push the engine past about 210 hp, it self-destructs. The 4 banger is a much stronger engine in this regard due to its iron block and can safely and reliably handle more power then the V6. It seems supercharging works better on the V6, but you still have to hold back somewhat.
  • Options
    An alternative to H.A.R.D is Alpine Developments. They have been Turbo/Supercharging Hyundais for years:

http://www.alpine-developments.us/
  • Options
    Hey 5sport thanks for the info and site, now, reading the above list about being careful on how many ponies the V6 gets, has anyone had any problems with going over 210 hp or above. I am planning on taking the car up in HP in order to get into the Big Bend Open in west Texas. Any info would be great, and I would hate to kill my Tib by doin anything someone else has already figured out not to do. Thanks again for the feedback.
  • Options
    lazy redlazy red Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2003 Tib with 28,000 miles on it. Our locks have started locking and unlocking by themselves. We can still use the key but our remotes sometimes work sometimes not. The have changed the senors but are mystified as to the cause. We thought it migh be some electric short. Otherwise have had no problems with the car.
  • Options
    I'm an Elantra owner but I have a theory that the Tiburon is suffering the same malady as the Elantra with respect to locks. There is a TSB out for the Elantra for water damage on a bulkhead connector that passes thru the door jam and carries all the lock/window voltages. On the Elantra when this connector gets corroded the locks and windows act exactly as you described. The TSB has the dealer replacing this connector and assoc wiring.

There is no TSB on the 2003 Tib for this BUT there are two TSBs for water leaks in the 2003 Tiburon. One for the sunroof and one for general water leaks. You might point the dealer in the direction of this connector. Here are the two TSBs available at :

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/

Technical Service Bulletin Group
    60 - Body

Number

03-60-003

Subject
    Date

Water Leak at Sunroof Opening (Infinity Amplifier Wet)
    06-2003

Model

Tiburon 2003

WATER LEAK AT SUNROOF OPENING (INFINITY AMPLIFIER WET)
    DESCRIPTION:

Some 2003 Tiburon vehicles may develop a water leak from the rear of the sunroof opening. If a water leak occurs, it can leak into the Infinity amplifier, causing static or no sound from the audio system. Other symptoms include wetness on the C pillar trim near the seat belt holder, or a damp rear seat.

Technical Service Bulletin Group
    60 - Body

Number

98-60-001

Subject
    Date

WATER LEAK DETECTION AND IDENTIFICATION
    02-1998

Model

All Models

WATER LEAK DETECTION AND IDENTIFICATION

This TSB supersedes TSB# 95-60-002

DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides detection methods and repair procedures for interior water leaks.

DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE:

First, use the customer's statements to determine the following:

Where is it wet? (near the wheel house, in the spare tire well, at the front, at the back, etc.)

When does it leak? (while parked level, while parked on a slope, while driving, only during heavy down pours)

What color is the moisture? (muddy water from the road surface, clean water from above)

How wet? (light dampness after a heavy rain, very wet while/after driving in a drizzle)

Based on the customer's statements, some determinations can be made:

Location of possible leak points near the damp area.

Dirty water usually comes from below. Check the wheel house weld seams, floor plugs, lower air vents, etc.

Clean water usually comes from upper panel surfaces. Check the trunk lid seal, around the windows, sunroof drains, door panel moisture barriers, etc.

Leaks noted only while the vehicle is parked are usually associated with water leaking in at one point and seeping to another. Damaged seals can also leak the same way but may not show visible damage.
  • Options
    blackmanblackman Member Posts: 7
    My clutch just went out on my 2003 V6 Tiburon at 57500 miles. I have done all reccommended service and this car has been driven very sensibly. The Dealership gave me the standard line that it is due to my driving habits. I have driven manuals all my life and never had a problem before. I called Hyundai Customer Service and they told me they had not heard of problems with clutches on Tiburon's. After checking the internet, that is obviously not true. The repair cost me $1800. After the test drive, I drove the car directly to the Saturn lot and traded it in on a used Saturn L200. Hyundai obviously does not stand behind their products and I am not going to take a chance on this failing again as has happened to many other Tiburon owners. I will never buy another Hyundai. I now own (4) Saturn's. So far they have been reliable and the people there are honest. I have sent e-mail to Hyundai describing the problem and asking for my money back.
  • Options
    Don't buy it. The Clutch will fail and they will not help you. They won't even acknowlege having a problem. Mine failed at 57,400. I sold the car immediately after my experience with Hyundai. There is a reason that Hyundai's are cheaper. They look good but they are junk.
  • Options
    Trade it in on something that is safe and reliable. Hyundai's are junk. Others have had accidents when the clutch assembly goes out. I nearly did. It cost me $1800 to get it fixed and then I traded for a more reliable car.
  • Options
    When the clutch went out on my V6 Tiburon, I called Hyundai and they said they did not know anything about a clutch problem. They said the problem was with my driving habits. The Service Director said the same thing. I handed him a copy of (50) complaints that I got off of the internet on this same problem. It didn't matter. It cost me $1800 to get it fixed. Since I did not want to have the same problem again as others have, I traded the car in to a Saturn Dealership immediatedly. The Hyundai dealership I dealt with had a good reputation as far as I know, but they where of no help on this. Hyundai's Customer Service was worthless.
  • Options
    You had better trade it in before your clutch goes out and it will. I liked mine too although I had several other problems in addition to the clutch. (Headlights, CD player, Loose struts, Battery, Locks, etc. Better trade it while it still works.
  • Options
    kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    I heard you the first time! I have a Hyundai Elantra and it's running fine. I also know a friend who owned a Toyota Corolla and it broke down in the first year that she owned it. Does that mean that Toyota is a bad company? No.
    All companies have lemons. :sick:
  • Options
    jackson33jackson33 Member Posts: 14
    Geez..I smell a Honda or Toyota guy trying to sandbag.

My Dodge Ram had 2 valves replaced at 65,000 miles and you don't see me complaining....maybe it was because I bought an extended warranty. My next buy will be an 06 Santa Fe (because I sell them and believe in them) and I wont buy an extended warranty because I have a lot of very satisfied customers that have bought Hyundai cars and SUV's and swear by them and the warranty.

I am putting my new 1 month old son in it so take your complaining elsewhere.

I even have Accord and Camry owners waiting in line to buy Sonatas or Elantras now.......go cry somewhere else.
  • Options
    yankeeinkyyankeeinky Member Posts: 1
    ohhh boy - what have i gotten into. brought home my GT V6 2005 the other day. love it. fun to drive. wanted something fun again. i really enjoy it. planning a trip to central ny on 4th of july. approx. 720 miles each way.

little nervous here as well but to be honest this is my 4th new car and i have never had such a pleasurable car buying experience. not to mention the grief people give when you mention its a forgein car - to them i say sorry - at least i bought mine from retired army guys in ft. knox, ky area. great bunch - even bringing them some cold ones - that's how much i appreciated all they did. trust me, i am not an easy person to sell a car - i do research. and i must say - i'm a little scared although my V6 is automatic - anything out there regarding auto transmission?

Happy trails - JO
  • Options
    I have had my 05 GT V6 5M for about a month and drive to Tucson which is 70 miles one way alot already have close to a thousand on it and have had no issues.
    I have also asked here in the forum for any details on the 05 Tib's but got no bad feedback. Enjoy your trip
  • Options
    jck1jck1 Member Posts: 3
    Yankee - I bought my 2004 GT V6 Automatic last September - I have 12K on it and I LOVE IT. (the only thing is the gas mileage ... I went from a Camry which got aroung 28 to the Tibby which gets 19).
  • Options
    marsansinmarsansin Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had experience installing either an OEM or Nissan limited slip differential in their 2003 or later Tiburon? I love my car but keeping the one wheel from spinning is becoming tiresome. thanks.
  • Options
    tiburonturbo83tiburonturbo83 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 01' tib, i was wondering if the stock transmission will be able to handle the power coming from a garrett t3/t4 turbo........

also does anyone know where i can find a place to buy performance internals for my car.......thanks
  • Options
    mdiggity22mdiggity22 Member Posts: 1
    i am putting vinyl on my tiburon and i need to do the air vents on the side of the car it is an 05 gt V6. if anyone knows if they just snap on and off please let me know. thanks
  • Options
    freefallfreefall Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a college car, naturally something sporty that's good on gas, and nothing has caught my eye quite like the Tiburon.

Problem is... I need to be able to drive it year-round. I live in Ohio at the heart of the Snowbelt and I will be going to college at the Rochester Institute of Technology in NY, where the snow levels will be just as wild as they can be here.

I have heard that the car handles beautifully in the snow with snow tires, but otherwise it's a deathtrap (which could probably be said of most cars in its class). Does anyone have any advice for me?

Mostly if it's not too bad to drive in the snow, I need to decide between Automatic and Manual, but I really want to buy a '97 or '99 FX.

Although the tib is my first choice, I'm also looking at the eclipse, celica, and a few others in that range. Last resort is a Ford Focus.

I found this is a previous post:
    "BTW the tires I put on for snow were Continental ExtremeContact. They've made the Tib the best 2WD vehicle for snow I've ever had."

Any other suggestions for tire brands?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    I am stating the facts about my 2003 Tiburon and its many problems. If you don't like my comments, don't read them. I will post what I want. If telling the truth is crying, then so be it. I dumped my Tiburon and bought a Saturn L200. I was very excited about my Tiburon until I had all of these problems and then was lied to by Hyundai when they stated that they did not know of any problems with the clutch design. I will never buy another Hyundai and will advise anyone I care about to do the same. That does not include you. Buy what you want.
  • Options
    I won't deal with any company that lies about a known problem and does not stand behind its product's quality. After having been told by Hyundai and the dealership that they did not know of any major clutch problems, I took them a copy of (50) reports of the same problem that I downloaded from the internet. I am sure that filled their trash basket as soon as I left. And for the record I know own a Saturn. I have owned a Honda and a Toyota in the past and had decent experience with both. I've had better service and performance from Saturn however. Based on internet reports, Hyundai has far more than its share of lemons. For me, that makes it a "Bad" risk and a "Bad" investment. I hope you have better luck. You will need it. Reference this link. http://www.mycarstats.com
    Check it out for yourself.